Author Topic: Edar Militao  (Read 12680 times)

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • YNWA
Re: Edar Militao
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2019, 09:51:59 AM »
How about two of our CB options being constantly injured?

Indeed, and Klopp has spoken recently about this being a position he doesnít need/want to rotate.

Offline welshred1976

• Believer
  • make us dream
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2019, 10:03:22 AM »
If he's really that good VVD, Gomez, Militao & Matip as 4 would do me. I like Lovren but having him, Matip and to a degree Gomez with their injury records is always a risk.

And just to add having a real name on the TOP forum has made my day.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 10:06:33 AM by welshred1976 »
ďThe status of the club is incredible, but itís only until you come in it that you understand everything that goes on with the football club, with the Hillsborough Support Group ... itís more than a football club, this is a way of life." Mr. Rodgers

Offline J-Mc-

• Just a wanker on a wind-up
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2019, 11:16:45 AM »

Online Agent99

• Believer
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2019, 11:23:28 AM »
If he's really that good VVD, Gomez, Militao & Matip as 4 would do me. I like Lovren but having him, Matip and to a degree Gomez with their injury records is always a risk.

And just to add having a real name on the TOP forum has made my day.
Why would you keep Matip over Lovren?

Offline Felch Aid

• Believer
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2019, 11:37:32 AM »

Was just about to ask the same thing. Matip from memory only has 1 year left on his deal and is 4th choice with a patchy record for injuries. On top of that neither Matip or Lovren can play other positions.

Offline welshred1976

• Believer
  • make us dream
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2019, 11:38:05 AM »

Could pick either really but Matip has a calmness that I like and brings the ball out of defense well. Either would be an excellent 4th choice!
ďThe status of the club is incredible, but itís only until you come in it that you understand everything that goes on with the football club, with the Hillsborough Support Group ... itís more than a football club, this is a way of life." Mr. Rodgers

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2019, 12:21:12 PM »
Was just about to ask the same thing. Matip from memory only has 1 year left on his deal and is 4th choice with a patchy record for injuries. On top of that neither Matip or Lovren can play other positions.

Doesn't seem to be any sign of Matip getting a new deal either. That suggests he'll either be sold in the summer or allowed to run down his contract. I think Klopp would accept the latter, but part of me does expect him to look for a move as he probably doesn't want to have to rely on Gomez and Lovren being injured to get a game.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• If i respect your opinion and then you respect mine, then we will all get on like mature adults
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Shaqiri is already becoming a legend.
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2019, 05:05:08 PM »
The one with the biggest knob.

They might be Gelded
There are two seasons in Scotland: June and Winter.

Once you become successful, people know where you live, the type of house you live in, the kind of car you drive, the clothes you wear, and so it would be patronising to go and talk like a welder. Welding's a mystery to me now. You can't go back, your life changes every day. Billy Connolly

Offline afc turkish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Intermittently inconsiderate plantpot
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2019, 05:12:46 PM »
Source?

The one with the biggest knob...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Tepid T₂O

• MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of conviction
  • RAWK Mod
  • Believer
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2019, 05:54:44 PM »
They might be Gelded
They donít cut the knob off Geoff!
Bernard blows goats

With courage, nothing is impossible.

"My right arm hurts - I don't know why or who hit me."

Offline Mutton Geoff

• If i respect your opinion and then you respect mine, then we will all get on like mature adults
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Shaqiri is already becoming a legend.
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2019, 08:08:12 PM »
They donít cut the knob off Geoff!

Balls to that then
There are two seasons in Scotland: June and Winter.

Once you become successful, people know where you live, the type of house you live in, the kind of car you drive, the clothes you wear, and so it would be patronising to go and talk like a welder. Welding's a mystery to me now. You can't go back, your life changes every day. Billy Connolly

Offline Tepid T₂O

• MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of conviction
  • RAWK Mod
  • Believer
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2019, 08:31:09 PM »
Bernard blows goats

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Red since '64
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2019, 10:42:09 PM »
They might be Gelded

Youíre not a horse racing fan are you Geoff?
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline hesbighesred

• But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2019, 08:34:04 AM »
Oddly, precisely because of his injuries. His unreliability means he might be more willing to accept a squad role on the understanding that his body is never going to cope with a full season, playing every game.

Secondly, he's much better on the ball. If you rotate him in, it's likely to be against low block, long ball teams. While he isn't the most powerful header of the ball, his sheer height still means he wins as much in the air as Lovren (albeit not as effectively). However, unlike Lovren, he can drive forward in possession, pick a quality pass, and represents an extra layer of attacking threat that Lovren just doesn't.

Imagine a squad as a Swiss army knife - Lovren is now a bit like the small blade you don't use because the bigger blade does the same job more effectively. Matip is one of the funny shaped tools that you're not sure what it does until you suddenly need it, and then nothing else will do. I think it's very useful to have that kind of option on the bench. I also think he'd pair better with Gomez if needs be.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Believer
« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2019, 09:27:43 AM »
I think the opposite actually. If we - god forbid - lost Van Dijk for a period of time, I think Lovren is the better partner alongside Gomez. Heís stronger in the air, and complements Gomez minor weaknesses in a way Matip doesnít.

But I agree that Matip is likely to get games against low block teams, heís probably our best passer from the back. Van Dijkís got a better range, but both Gomez and Matip are ahead when it comes to the build up through midfield. Matip especially often hit the ball right through the opponents into the path of Firmino/Salah. And heís really good at drivning forward with the ball as well, same with Gomez. I hope we keep both, unless we can make a clear upgrade and not have to spend a huge amount. But I think that is what itíll take, which seems unnecessary for back up players. Gomez and Van Dijk can hardly be improved upon anyway. Injuries are a concern though, so I could see it happening for that reason.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 09:32:02 AM by Roger Federer »

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Kopite
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2019, 11:43:31 AM »
I think the opposite actually. If we - god forbid - lost Van Dijk for a period of time, I think Lovren is the better partner alongside Gomez. Heís stronger in the air, and complements Gomez minor weaknesses in a way Matip doesnít.

But I agree that Matip is likely to get games against low block teams, heís probably our best passer from the back. Van Dijkís got a better range, but both Gomez and Matip are ahead when it comes to the build up through midfield. Matip especially often hit the ball right through the opponents into the path of Firmino/Salah. And heís really good at drivning forward with the ball as well, same with Gomez. I hope we keep both, unless we can make a clear upgrade and not have to spend a huge amount. But I think that is what itíll take, which seems unnecessary for back up players. Gomez and Van Dijk can hardly be improved upon anyway. Injuries are a concern though, so I could see it happening for that reason.

A lot more of a leader - more vocal as well.

Another argument you could use the other way would be wages. I vaguely remember Lovren being on around 130k while Matip at a guess would be more like 70-80k? Lovren will be on a fair whack for a "not-first-choice" CB I would've thought.

Would Lovren have better resale value? I would think so, especially after the WC. Could see Barca going for someone like him.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Believer
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2019, 08:38:43 PM »
A lot more of a leader - more vocal as well.

Another argument you could use the other way would be wages. I vaguely remember Lovren being on around 130k while Matip at a guess would be more like 70-80k? Lovren will be on a fair whack for a "not-first-choice" CB I would've thought.

Would Lovren have better resale value? I would think so, especially after the WC. Could see Barca going for someone like him.

Yes please. do it soon. Barca have to pay at least 100 million euros for any of our players  :wave

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #97 on: Yesterday at 02:54:17 PM »
"The clause will increase by 50% to Ä75m if it is not activated by January 31, something which could force the hand of interested parties including United."

Offline Tepid T₂O

• RAWK Mod
  • Believer
« Reply #98 on: Yesterday at 05:37:38 PM »
Bernard blows goats

Online Djimi Smicer34

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #99 on: Yesterday at 05:44:57 PM »
They seemed the frontrunners all along in the paper talk about Militao.

Not convinced we'd spend that much on a CB if we do want another one.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #100 on: Yesterday at 06:27:52 PM »

Offline Tepid T₂O

• RAWK Mod
  • Believer
« Reply #101 on: Yesterday at 06:32:00 PM »
They seemed the frontrunners all along in the paper talk about Militao.

Not convinced we'd spend that much on a CB if we do want another one.
Oh I think we would..
Bernard blows goats

Online skipper757

• Believer
« Reply #102 on: Yesterday at 06:35:36 PM »
Oh I think we would..

Tepid confirms Koulibaly or De Ligt! :D
King Kenny.

Offline Tepid T₂O

• RAWK Mod
  • Believer
« Reply #103 on: Yesterday at 06:38:19 PM »
Tepid confirms Koulibaly or De Ligt! :D
De Ligt is constantly linked with PSG, deal done etc... but itís been done 3 or 4 times now so I wonder if itís actaully the case.  I suspect it is though.

Koulibaly?  I suspect heís just a bit old for us to pay really big money for now.  So difficult to deal with Napoli too.
Bernard blows goats

Online Djimi Smicer34

• Believer
  • JFT96
« Reply #104 on: Yesterday at 07:12:16 PM »
Oh I think we would..

On who?

As you say, it's not going to be Koulibaly or De Ligt.  Who else is there who would command that kind of fee and would be good enough for us?  I know the likes of Lascelles and Tarkowski get touted on Twitter but would we pay £50m for either of them?  Ake is probably the pick of the bunch who might be available to us in the PL and he's more potential still than an improvement of what we've got.

I'm not disputing we could sign a CB and shift one of Lovren or Matip on, just don't think there are many out there who are at the kind of level to command that much money and would be attainable.  Upemecano at Leipzig is probably the next one to go for big money after Koulibaly and De Light are off the market, he'd cost a lot though.

The Lloyd Kelly links were interesting because he could play LB and CB, CB is where he's touted to end up in the long-term; that's the kind of deal I could maybe see us doing.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:16:56 PM by Djimi Smicer34 »

Offline Tepid T₂O

• RAWK Mod
  • Believer
« Reply #105 on: Yesterday at 07:27:14 PM »
On who?

As you say, it's not going to be Koulibaly or De Ligt.  Who else is there who would command that kind of fee and would be good enough for us?  I know the likes of Lascelles and Tarkowski get touted on Twitter but would we pay £50m for either of them?  Ake is probably the pick of the bunch who might be available to us in the PL and he's more potential still than an improvement of what we've got.

I'm not disputing we could sign a CB and shift one of Lovren or Matip on, just don't think there are many out there who are at the kind of level to command that much money and would be attainable.  Upemecano at Leipzig is probably the next one to go for big money after Koulibaly and De Light are off the market, he'd cost a lot though.

The Lloyd Kelly links were interesting because he could play LB and CB, CB is where he's touted to end up in the long-term; that's the kind of deal I could maybe see us doing.
On who?  Oh thatís a very good question... and youíre absolutely right to raise it.

My answer is .... fuxk knows

But in theory, I donít see them blinking if it was the right player.
Bernard blows goats

Offline Sangria

• Ally Machoist
  • Believer
« Reply #106 on: Yesterday at 08:57:19 PM »
On who?  Oh thatís a very good question... and youíre absolutely right to raise it.

My answer is .... fuxk knows

But in theory, I donít see them blinking if it was the right player.

Roy mentioned at the time of the takeover that NESV supplemented their version of Moneyball with paying for top talent in specifically identified areas.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Believer
« Reply #107 on: Yesterday at 09:28:41 PM »
Disappointed that we've missed out on him, if the Real Madrid story is true. Not seen him play but if Football Manager scouts are right he's a top player, impressive stats and is just as good playing at Centre Back, Right Back or Defensive Midfielder.

Offline Tepid T₂O

• RAWK Mod
  • Believer
« Reply #108 on: Yesterday at 09:29:41 PM »
Disappointed that we've missed out on him, if the Real Madrid story is true. Not seen him play but if Football Manager scouts are right he's a top player, impressive stats and is just as good playing at Centre Back, Right Back or Defensive Midfielder.

:lmao

Fucking hell

Bernard blows goats

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Believer
« Reply #109 on: Yesterday at 09:32:29 PM »

Fucking hell

More informed that the type of dicks who pay attention to YouTube clips for opinion. Any player can be made to look good on there.

Offline Tepid T₂O

• RAWK Mod
  • Believer
« Reply #110 on: Yesterday at 09:33:27 PM »
More informed that the type of dicks who pay attention to YouTube clips for opinion. Any player can be made to look good on there.

Bernard blows goats

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Believer
« Reply #111 on: Yesterday at 09:40:18 PM »
I don't mean the in-game scouts btw, i mean the researchers IRL.

Offline Tepid T₂O

• RAWK Mod
  • Believer
« Reply #112 on: Yesterday at 09:58:26 PM »
Oh fucking hell

Sorry..

Youíre being serious.  Didnít realise

Bernard blows goats

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Believer
« Reply #113 on: Yesterday at 10:04:18 PM »
Some people who know very little about the FM scouting networks all around the world. I sometimes think it's a joke how often skeptics don't understand that.

They can sometimes get "Wonderkids" wrong, but that's cause so few turn promise into actual ability.

Offline RedG13

• Main Stander
« Reply #114 on: Yesterday at 10:10:53 PM »
Some people who know very little about the FM scouting networks all around the world. I sometimes think it's a joke how often skeptics don't understand that.

They can sometimes get "Wonderkids" wrong, but that's cause so few turn promise into actual ability.
FM was how Guyana found it starting GK Liverpool U23 Kai Mckenzie-Lyle

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Believer
« Reply #115 on: Yesterday at 10:15:26 PM »
Lots of real football teams use it to scout.

Non-players of the game don't realise the programmers employ literally thousands of scouts, just a single fan/scout at some of the world's smallest teams, and more than one at the bigger teams. They then try to factor in fan bias, by taking into account the level of each club and the expected stats in each league.

Offline Tepid T₂O

• RAWK Mod
  • Believer
« Reply #116 on: Yesterday at 10:18:32 PM »

Sometimes

Bernard blows goats

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Believer
« Reply #117 on: Yesterday at 10:20:17 PM »
Sometimes

Ok, i should have said usually, but you can usually rely on the ability ratings of age 20+ players.   

The thing about the Wonderkids is that they have to throw in lots of purely random ones to give the gamer more options.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:36:57 PM by Crouch Potato »

Offline hesbighesred

• But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #118 on: Today at 02:47:15 PM »
Roy mentioned at the time of the takeover that NESV supplemented their version of Moneyball with paying for top talent in specifically identified areas.
It's a misconception that the two can't go together. Just look at Van Dijk - even with the 'sorry about the tapping up' premium he cost £75million. Namely £15 less than Lukaku for a player who almost comically dominates his position/zone and is as, or almost as, far ahead of 99% of players in his position as Messi is ahead of most attackers. Now imagine how much we'd have to pay for, say, Mbappe now, or a 23-year-old Messi equivalent-level of dominance in attack. £300million? £500million? Van Dijk was stupidly undervalued because he plays in a hugely undervalued position. He's actually an extremely moneyball signing (IE undervalued for what he actually does/adds), as is Alisson.

Offline pathetic

• Believer
« Reply #119 on: Today at 02:55:11 PM »
It's a misconception that the two can't go together. Just look at Van Dijk - even with the 'sorry about the tapping up' premium he cost £75million. Namely £15 less than Lukaku for a player who almost comically dominates his position/zone and is as, or almost as, far ahead of 99% of players in his position as Messi is ahead of most attackers. Now imagine how much we'd have to pay for, say, Mbappe now, or a 23-year-old Messi equivalent-level of dominance in attack. £300million? £500million? Van Dijk was stupidly undervalued because he plays in a hugely undervalued position. He's actually an extremely moneyball signing (IE undervalued for what he actually does/adds), as is Alisson.

Good point. I hope we follow it up with a third undervalued signing who turns out to be a superstar next summer ;-).
My Betfair referral code: Y6R6JF3PG