Author Topic: The 2019 Formula One Thread  (Read 142251 times)

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Re: The 2019 Formula One Thread
« Reply #880 on: May 9, 2019, 09:38:14 am »
Oh no.

The Brazilian Grand Prix is moving to Rio.

Another great circuit lost for no reason.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/48212783
oh do fuck off

interlagos is fucking brilliant

shite decision
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #881 on: May 9, 2019, 09:40:38 am »
Oh no.

The Brazilian Grand Prix is moving to Rio.

Another great circuit lost for no reason.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/48212783

Awful news that. Interlagos is a unique circuit that has consistently produced great races for nearly 30 years now.

And typical fucking shortsightedness, Rio demolished Jacarepagua a few years ago and now want the race back.

Still, his estimates for construction time sound wildly optimistic and I suspect it'll take longer.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #882 on: May 9, 2019, 09:43:08 am »
rio was a bit before my time but it looked a great track. saw highlights of the 1989 race

Mansell winning on his debut for ferrari, so under confident about his reliability Ferrari even considered only putting half a tank of fuel in to look good and Mansell famously had an early flight booked home.

Johnny Herbert a brilliant 4th on his debut, Gugelmin on the podium, Warwick could have won, Eddie Cheever collapsed as well when he retired.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #883 on: May 9, 2019, 09:51:45 am »
They are building a new circuit
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #884 on: May 9, 2019, 09:55:26 am »
They are building a new circuit
oh i knew it wouldnt be jacrepagua alright but i dont like it. interlagos is a classic

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #885 on: May 9, 2019, 11:54:34 am »
so the brazil president says they're going to build a whole new racing circuit including facilities and make it FIA "grade 1" (or whatever they call it) so it's about to host an F1 grand prix that quickly?

I am sceptical myself.

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #886 on: May 9, 2019, 11:58:44 am »
so the brazil president says they're going to build a whole new racing circuit including facilities and make it FIA "grade 1" (or whatever they call it) so it's about to host an F1 grand prix that quickly?

I am sceptical myself.
yeah politicians are great for ideas

it seems optimistic

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #887 on: May 9, 2019, 02:02:38 pm »
Love Interlagos as a circuit, hope they improve security for teams at the new track though. Interlagos isn't popular with the teams from a security perspective.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #888 on: May 9, 2019, 05:05:45 pm »
A real shame as Interlagos is one of my favourite tracks and has produced some great races over the years.

There are also doubts over Silverstone and Monza too, the people who run the sport need to realise that these classic tracks also provide the most entertaining races unlike the slick modern circuits that are in fashion now.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #889 on: May 9, 2019, 05:42:03 pm »
A real shame as Interlagos is one of my favourite tracks and has produced some great races over the years.

There are also doubts over Silverstone and Monza too, the people who run the sport need to realise that these classic tracks also provide the most entertaining races unlike the slick modern circuits that are in fashion now.

Taking free to air away was the biggest mistake but then compounding it with potentially losing historic and well loved tracks. Jam today decisions that don`t think past that. The reason a lot of us are fans is because we grew up watching it on the BBC. We then grew to love different tracks. Interlagos is a classic track. Follow that with Silverstone and Monza and you starting losing even more fans in droves. What would be next for fucks sake, Spa. Monaco ?! which would no doubt be replaced by a new track in some dodgy human rights abusing country trying to sports wash their image but will pay the owners a shed load for a few years contract. Yeah, make a lot of money quickly but are they going to pay those big bucks when no fucker is watching ?
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #890 on: May 9, 2019, 05:47:00 pm »
they've made an 'agrrement in principle' with monza for a few more years

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #891 on: May 9, 2019, 06:49:19 pm »
With Interlagos having a contract until next year and no spade in the ground at all, plus the need to get FIA accreditation, there's no way this will happen until 2021 at the earliest.  It's Bolsonaro bullshitting is my guess.  The track may happen but it won't be ready.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of Ł22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #892 on: May 9, 2019, 07:03:28 pm »
Taking free to air away was the biggest mistake but then compounding it with potentially losing historic and well loved tracks. Jam today decisions that don`t think past that. The reason a lot of us are fans is because we grew up watching it on the BBC. We then grew to love different tracks. Interlagos is a classic track. Follow that with Silverstone and Monza and you starting losing even more fans in droves. What would be next for fucks sake, Spa. Monaco ?! which would no doubt be replaced by a new track in some dodgy human rights abusing country trying to sports wash their image but will pay the owners a shed load for a few years contract. Yeah, make a lot of money quickly but are they going to pay those big bucks when no fucker is watching ?

Yeah, that’s the big danger for the sport. If your not already into F1 your not going to pay to watch it, and if you can’t watch it how are you going to get people to get into it? None one in my family watched it when I was a kid, I stumbled on it while channel skipping in the early 90’s and have been watching ever since but thats not going to happen with the next generation of kids, plus the sport is a lot less entertaining now. The one positive for us fans is that there’s more races now then there used to be at least.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #893 on: May 9, 2019, 07:17:15 pm »
Yeah, that’s the big danger for the sport. If your not already into F1 your not going to pay to watch it, and if you can’t watch it how are you going to get people to get into it? None one in my family watched it when I was a kid, I stumbled on it while channel skipping in the early 90’s and have been watching ever since but thats not going to happen with the next generation of kids, plus the sport is a lot less entertaining now. The one positive for us fans is that there’s more races now then there used to be at least.

I was a massive fan of F1 when it was on BBC and then Sky came in and I dont think ive watched a full season since theyve completely taken over. Me and my dad used to loving watching it. Money talks though as we know all too well with sports.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #894 on: May 9, 2019, 07:25:41 pm »
Tilke to make a meh track in Brazil. :(
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #895 on: May 9, 2019, 10:53:19 pm »
17 races on two engines though..

Asking a lot of them

The old one can be wheeled out for Monaco.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #896 on: May 10, 2019, 04:01:59 am »
The old one can be wheeled out for Monaco.
Still quite early though. At some point, one of the power units will be required to go longer that you would ideally want it to go.

Last year, I think Montreal was the upgrade date for them. Mercedes a week after that.

Last season, Mercedes got themselves going again on this track. It will be interesting if Ferrari can do the same...or if testing really did mean zilch.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 04:03:47 am by b_joseph »

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #897 on: May 10, 2019, 03:46:50 pm »
Roses are red
Red Bulls are blue
Ferrari are faster
Mercedes 1-2

Just seen this  ;D
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #898 on: May 10, 2019, 04:35:50 pm »
Roses are red
Red Bulls are blue
Ferrari are faster
Mercedes 1-2

Just seen this  ;D

Does seem that the Mercs are faster after todays practice. I wonder if Hamilton is holding anything in reserve or Bottas is just quicker
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #899 on: May 10, 2019, 05:20:28 pm »
I was a massive fan of F1 when it was on BBC and then Sky came in and I dont think ive watched a full season since theyve completely taken over. Me and my dad used to loving watching it. Money talks though as we know all too well with sports.

I still watch the races but that’s because my brother has given me his Sky Go details so I can watch it on my iPad using his Sky subscription (same for the football too) - if I had to pay for it myself I definitely wouldn’t.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #900 on: May 11, 2019, 11:25:01 am »
Pirelli are fucking pathetic.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #901 on: May 11, 2019, 11:31:40 am »
What have I missed?

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #902 on: May 11, 2019, 11:31:44 am »
Pirelli do what they're asked to do.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #903 on: May 11, 2019, 11:41:57 am »
Pirelli do what they're asked to do.

Which is what?

That's all I keep hearing. They do what they're asked to.

So they are asked to make tyres with unpredictable variables, that have no grip, that require a driver to manage them and basically take away any opportunity to race and push. Basically the opposite of the term racing, because you cant race because you cant push a car to the maximum.

You have Bottas spinning on an outlap on one of the slowest corners on the track :lmao

That's useful isn't it, great bit of data gathering there.

This isn't racing, its driving to delta's and tyre management. We might as well have time trials instead of racing.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #904 on: May 11, 2019, 11:44:19 am »
they don't make up the tyre rules on their own. they get given some specs, they make tyres to those specs.

now are the specs a load of arse? maybe. but again, they're not chosen by pirelli.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #905 on: May 11, 2019, 11:59:32 am »
They manufacturer the tyres, they might be given rough specifications but this takes the piss. I get they want F1 to be unpredictable but its turning into Mario Kart. We've got the mushroom boosts, we've got the tyres that are made out of ice. Any chance we can give Russell and Kubica a lightning strike from the back of the grid to use on those further up. Maybe every time Lewis comes past the start and finish straight we can throw dirt on his visor. That would make things unpredictable.

Pirelli are part of the problem, F1 is getting worse not better.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #906 on: May 11, 2019, 12:03:00 pm »
the pace of rule change in F1 is pretty glacial. the next change, as has been mentioned often, isn't for a couple of years.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #907 on: May 11, 2019, 12:46:05 pm »
Mario Kart was ace
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #908 on: May 11, 2019, 03:03:15 pm »
Bottas in a league of his own there. Mercedes in general has too much pace through the final sector in comparison to everyone else

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #909 on: May 11, 2019, 03:04:30 pm »
Bottas destroys the rest in qualifying, 0.6 ahead of Hamilton and over a second after of the Ferrari’s.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #910 on: May 11, 2019, 03:08:57 pm »
What has happened to Bottas. Hamilton will have to start taking him seriously very very soon.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #911 on: May 11, 2019, 03:10:48 pm »
On fire at the minute isn’t he? Fair play to the guy, might get a title fight yet!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #912 on: May 11, 2019, 03:13:08 pm »
Cant say that I'm not concerned. Its feels a lot like it did in 2016...Lewis usually finds his flow in after the summer break but its still pretty poor

On the whole though. Its massively disappointing to see the Ferrari is such a state...they have taken drastic steps backwards from last season
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 03:15:00 pm by b_joseph »

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #913 on: May 11, 2019, 03:36:25 pm »
Bottas destroys the rest in qualifying, 0.6 ahead of Hamilton and over a second after of the Ferrari’s.

8/10ths.  Knocked that out of the park though did Bottas.

So what are the odds on Max and Seb making it through the first corner without one of them hitting the other?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 03:38:34 pm by Darren G »

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #914 on: May 11, 2019, 07:43:02 pm »
Toto said Hamilton not being able to have a clean run in Q3 with having to recharge the battery spoiled his shot, but even without that Bottas has really upped his game this year and should be taken seriously for the title, especially with Ferrari not looking on it again.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #915 on: May 11, 2019, 08:07:22 pm »
I dont think Ferrari know the issue with the car. It's just fundamentally slow round slower sections. Even though the Mercedes doesn't look as planted, so more on edge they can rag it round the corners. I think Ferrari almost lulled themselves into a false sense of security in pre season because how easily the car handled, you can see behind the wheel that the drivers dont really have to hustle the car yet it's just not able to go quick enough round tighter sections. Like some corners which stand out are 9 and 10 at Melbourne, 14 and 15 here. Quick changes of direction, chicanes etc where they are losing huge amounts of time. Every time you hear them they are puzzled why they are so slow round tighter sections.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 08:09:58 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #916 on: May 11, 2019, 08:08:51 pm »
Looks like those Ferrari upgrades really addressed their issues....

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #917 on: May 11, 2019, 10:08:06 pm »
Looks like those Ferrari upgrades really addressed their issues....

The problem for Ferrari is that the performance gap today seems to be largely aerodynamic and that’s where Ferrari have always struggled. Even when they have had a competitive or the fastest car it’s generally been in spite of aerodynamic performance, not because of it (and that probably goes back further then the F2002!)
Thinking is overrated.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #918 on: May 11, 2019, 10:13:39 pm »
The problem for Ferrari is that the performance gap today seems to be largely aerodynamic and that’s where Ferrari have always struggled. Even when they have had a competitive or the fastest car it’s generally been in spite of aerodynamic performance, not because of it (and that probably goes back further then the F2002!)
Hmmm... although the narrative has always been that Mercedes were the ones to struggle with the aerodynamics.

I never though this could be true, but it was the meme for a few years. 

Turned out the Mercedes were pretty good at everything.  Not surprising really
W

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #919 on: May 11, 2019, 10:29:05 pm »
Hmmm... although the narrative has always been that Mercedes were the ones to struggle with the aerodynamics.

I never though this could be true, but it was the meme for a few years. 

Turned out the Mercedes were pretty good at everything.  Not surprising really

To be honest, I would disagree there. The narrative has been the Mercedes power unit is the best, I have never heard anyone say they had a weak aero package, just that it’s probably not as good as the Red Bulls.

Also, over the last 18 months or so the Ferrari’s have generally had the higher speeds in the speed traps and while that doesn’t conclusively prove anything it suggests to me that while the Mercedes was slower in a straight line it had to be faster around the turns because overall it has been faster then the Mercedes.
Thinking is overrated.