Author Topic: The 2019 Formula One Thread  (Read 142262 times)

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
Re: The 2019 Formula One Thread
« Reply #680 on: April 8, 2019, 08:17:41 pm »

Mutli 5-16 doesn't have the same ring to it does it? :D

No, but Karma’s a bitch isn’t she!
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #681 on: April 8, 2019, 08:21:31 pm »
Oh yes. I'm in no doubt that the request for 2 laps game from Seb. He wanted to get his tyres to temp but he'd have also been aware that 2 laps in his dirty air might have impacted Leclerc's likelihood of getting an easy pass.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #682 on: April 8, 2019, 10:17:29 pm »
Oh yes. I'm in no doubt that the request for 2 laps game from Seb. He wanted to get his tyres to temp but he'd have also been aware that 2 laps in his dirty air might have impacted Leclerc's likelihood of getting an easy pass.

Not sure about that. If Seb asked for the two laps on the radio it would have been heard by everyone in the pit lane, and personally it would be easier to deal with from Leclerc’s point of view if it was Seb rather then if it was coming from within the teams management. But for what it’s worth I think within a couple more races Leclerc will make the teams mind up for them.
Thinking is overrated.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #683 on: April 8, 2019, 10:24:24 pm »
it was nice to see someone actually make an overtake themselves after moaning on the radio about being faster than his teammate. admittedly helped by being on a track where overtaking is easier than some.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #684 on: April 8, 2019, 10:26:24 pm »
Two races in... is it actually any easier to follow and pass?

Not sure we’ve got the evidence yet myself.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #685 on: April 8, 2019, 10:31:02 pm »
Two races in... is it actually any easier to follow and pass?

Not sure we’ve got the evidence yet myself.

there have been a few encouraging noises from brawn and a couple of drivers, but it can only really be judged after at least half a season.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #686 on: April 11, 2019, 07:25:56 am »
I don’t ever watch the press conferences in F1, anything juicy or controversial will go viral and I’ll see it elsewhere, but got this mornings on as I was up. What an absolute shitefest this is. These people are journalists? The questions are embarrassing.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #687 on: April 11, 2019, 07:48:35 am »
Strap yourselves it for excitement because it's Kimi's guide to the Shanghai circuit!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Mz_8gXRaFNE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Mz_8gXRaFNE</a>

Offline RacerX34

• Kopite
  • JFT 97
« Reply #688 on: April 11, 2019, 11:07:01 am »
I don’t ever watch the press conferences in F1, anything juicy or controversial will go viral and I’ll see it elsewhere, but got this mornings on as I was up. What an absolute shitefest this is. These people are journalists? The questions are embarrassing.

Nobody asks proper questions anymore because as soon as they do both the question and the answer are lost to social media.
Open sports questions have become a shitshow ever since the explosion of social media "accounts".

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #689 on: April 11, 2019, 11:50:41 am »
One of the press asked the drivers their opinion on the thought that for each child a driver has he loses a second a lap in pace. I mean what the fuck is that about? Does anyone believe for a moment that Vettel would be 2 seconds a lap faster if he hadn’t had kids? He’d have pole, fastest lap, and win every single race. Title won halfway through the season. What bollocks, these people shouldn’t be allowed near a press conference.

Offline RacerX34

• Kopite
  • JFT 97
« Reply #690 on: April 11, 2019, 12:20:16 pm »
One of the press asked the drivers their opinion on the thought that for each child a driver has he loses a second a lap in pace. I mean what the fuck is that about? Does anyone believe for a moment that Vettel would be 2 seconds a lap faster if he hadn’t had kids? He’d have pole, fastest lap, and win every single race. Title won halfway through the season. What bollocks, these people shouldn’t be allowed near a press conference.

We used to joke about that.
"Kids cost you 1/2 a second a lap"

It's all just nonsense questions really.

Bigger point would be, like with Rosberg, you start to see their mentality change.
Vettel seems to have that bit of negativity creeping in where F1 "wasn't what it was".
He doesn't seem to be enjoying it and that bit of ruthlessness seems to be gone.

That's a bigger factor. That and Hamilton seems to have him mentally.
Leclerc and Max are probably the ones to challenge Hamilton long-term,
if Red Bull can give Max the car.

Online Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #691 on: April 12, 2019, 03:08:12 am »
Sounds like ted is back

:)
YNWA

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #692 on: April 12, 2019, 07:20:51 am »
He’s in the commentary box at the moment, he should be in the pit lane, and some saying on Twitter that he’ll only be at 13 races. Such a fuckup by Sky.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #693 on: April 12, 2019, 07:26:51 am »
He’s in the commentary box at the moment, he should be in the pit lane, and some saying on Twitter that he’ll only be at 13 races. Such a fuckup by Sky.

I think they underestimated how popular he is. To be honest I think everyone underestimated how popular he is!

The repeated "where's ted?" on literally every single thing any of the rest of them have posted on social media has been pretty funny.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #694 on: April 13, 2019, 08:07:33 am »
Good from Bottas taking the fight to Lewis. Strange Mercedes keep needing to play down their car by the drivers and toto, reminds me of Mourinho when he had the best package and acted like he was managing a mid table team.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #695 on: April 13, 2019, 10:46:37 am »
Good from Bottas taking the fight to Lewis. Strange Mercedes keep needing to play down their car by the drivers and toto, reminds me of Mourinho when he had the best package and acted like he was managing a mid table team.
I dont think they are playing themselves down. I think they have overestimated Ferrari...like everyone else has done.
It seems like the Ferrari is on a knife edge, in regards to maximum performance. The Mercedes is looking more consistently steady on each track.
Gasly needs to wake up.

Bottas deserved it...Lewis did well to make it as close as it was. Game on!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 10:48:42 am by b_joseph »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #696 on: April 13, 2019, 10:49:20 am »
I thought Hamilton did well to pretty much match Bottas in the end.

He was clearly struggling with the balance of the car, he was fighting it all the way.

Still, Vettel’s mustache.  Just.... no
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #697 on: April 13, 2019, 10:58:18 am »
I thought Hamilton did well to pretty much match Bottas in the end.

He was clearly struggling with the balance of the car, he was fighting it all the way.

Still, Vettel’s mustache.  Just.... no
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #698 on: April 13, 2019, 11:19:40 am »
some very small gaps between the teammates there.

the ferrari looks more red and less orange this week too

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #699 on: April 13, 2019, 11:51:12 am »
Imagine pissing off Verstappen by overtaking him before final qualifying, that could come back to haunt Vettel tomorrow  :D
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #700 on: April 13, 2019, 11:57:13 am »
some very small gaps between the teammates there.

the ferrari looks more red and less orange this week too
Its the lack of lacquer on it.

Reflects light differently in light and shadow.

They should make lacquer compulsory.  Dull cars are shit.
W

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #701 on: April 13, 2019, 12:01:49 pm »

I don't think it's that. it's consistently looked more red in both practice on friday and quali this morning.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #702 on: April 13, 2019, 12:21:18 pm »
I don't think it's that. it's consistently looked more red in both practice on friday and quali this morning.
Well they haven’t repainted in that time.

It’s just perception on the telly.  They reflect light differently without lacquer
W

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #703 on: April 13, 2019, 12:27:48 pm »
Well they haven’t repainted in that time.

It’s just perception on the telly.  They reflect light differently without lacquer

it was matte in the past 2 races as well. and at the test

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #704 on: April 13, 2019, 01:58:42 pm »
it was matte in the past 2 races as well. and at the test
and people complained of it then as well
W

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #705 on: April 13, 2019, 02:23:02 pm »
I'm not convinced we're even on about the same thing any more.

anyway, the ferrari looks more red and less orange this weekend than it has done before this season. whatever the reason is.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #706 on: April 13, 2019, 05:06:55 pm »

Agreed, but if Adrian Newey says the matt paintwork makes the cars faster, it makes the cars faster although he did say it was a tiny, tiny amount, nor did he explain how...
Thinking is overrated.

Online Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #707 on: April 14, 2019, 04:17:28 am »
Have the qualifying/race notebooks been binned? Can't find it anywhere
YNWA

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #708 on: April 14, 2019, 07:18:34 am »
Get Kvyat out of F1 for fuck sake! The guy is an absolute fucking joke of a driver. McLaren race ruined very early on for the second race in a row albeit Norris remained last week.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #709 on: April 14, 2019, 07:26:49 am »
Get Kvyat out of F1 for fuck sake! The guy is an absolute fucking joke of a driver. McLaren race ruined very early on for the second race in a row albeit Norris remained last week.

As if Davidson called that a racing incident, saying Norris went off track and Kvyat got sandwiched. What replay was he watching?!

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: April 14, 2019, 07:35:59 am »
Ferrari shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic with their team orders while the Mercedes are pulling away.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline potatomato33

• Combat Carl
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #711 on: April 14, 2019, 07:38:28 am »
I thought you couldn't do that with team orders

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #712 on: April 14, 2019, 07:43:11 am »
I thought you couldn't do that with team orders

Team orders are allowed I’m pretty sure.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #713 on: April 14, 2019, 07:48:50 am »
Ferrari have messed up with team orders on this one. "Thinking about the end of the race" = its ok for you to lose out massively but not for Vettel and we've sold you down the river to stop the other driver crying like a bitch.

Offline potatomato33

• Combat Carl
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #714 on: April 14, 2019, 07:49:24 am »
Team orders are allowed I’m pretty sure.

Been a very long time since I've heard it that explicitly.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #715 on: April 14, 2019, 08:03:03 am »
Ferrari have messed up with team orders on this one. "Thinking about the end of the race" = its ok for you to lose out massively but not for Vettel and we've sold you down the river to stop the other driver crying like a bitch.

Yeah, and it’s going to cost them over the season as so far Leclerc is showing himself to be the faster driver. It’s one thing having team orders when the faster driver is being moved ahead but Ferrari seem to be favouring the slower driver.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #716 on: April 14, 2019, 08:03:10 am »

Vettel was faster but then when he got past he locked the fronts a couple of times.

Either way it's a bit irrelevant as Mercedes are clearly faster and Ferrari had to try something. It didn't work.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #717 on: April 14, 2019, 08:21:21 am »
Vettel was faster but then when he got past he locked the fronts a couple of times.

Either way it's a bit irrelevant as Mercedes are clearly faster and Ferrari had to try something. It didn't work.

Could those lock ups have occurred due to Vettel trying to prove that he was faster so Leclerc wasn't moved back ahead of him? My big issue with it is both drivers were given the opportunity to break away and neither did, but then Vettel gets another huge opportunity by being given first refusal on the first pit stop. I get that they couldnt switch on the track because Verstappen was closing in but the switch back should have happened with the pit stop. That's what would have happened if the roles were reversed,.

Online west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #718 on: April 14, 2019, 08:28:53 am »

It’s relevant in that Leclerc loses a podium and Verstappen splits the Ferrari’s. If they had left everything alone they could have had 3rd and 4th
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #719 on: April 14, 2019, 08:47:21 am »
Get in there Lewis. Fitting that one of the greatest ever drivers wins on the 1000th Grand Prix.

Leclerc should be rightfully pissed at Ferrari. Gasly taking fastest lap off Vettel  ;D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:54:53 am by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."