Author Topic: The 2019 Formula One Thread  (Read 142247 times)

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The 2019 Formula One Thread
« Reply #640 on: April 1, 2019, 01:17:28 pm »
You could say that he is speaking from a position of experience though rather than speculating as wildly as another pundit might be doing.

Well yeah suppose that's the other way to look at it haha.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #641 on: April 1, 2019, 01:20:16 pm »
Hamilton these days may almost be as good as Benson on the BBC site thinks he is.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #642 on: April 1, 2019, 02:30:25 pm »
Perhaps McLaren ? I know Alonso is waiting in the wings for when/if the car is genuinely competing for podiums but he is a few years older. It will have come full circle of Hamilton. Just a thought
hmmm not sure alonso is getting back in there

Norris looks a real star. two great quallfying performances and now a points finish
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: April 1, 2019, 03:49:45 pm »
Hamilton these days may almost be as good as Benson on the BBC site thinks he is.

So you're saying that he's now able to cure cancer,end world hunger and broker peace in the middle-east?

In all seriousness though, I struggle to think of a chink in Lewis' armour anymore.  As Funky mentioned on the last page, he had definitely addressed that which I always considered his biggest weak point and now possesses the same kind of in-car mental acuity that we saw from Prost and Schumacher.

hmmm not sure alonso is getting back in there

Norris looks a real star. two great quallfying performances and now a points finish

It'll be interesting to see how Russell and Norris go relative to one another in the coming years.  I didn't really watch F2 last season, but the general consensus appears to be that Norris may have more raw pace, but that Russell looks the more well rounded overall.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2019, 03:52:05 pm by Darren G »

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #644 on: April 1, 2019, 04:14:59 pm »
So you're saying that he's now able to cure cancer,end world hunger and broker peace in the middle-east?

In all seriousness though, I struggle to think of a chink in Lewis' armour anymore.  As Funky mentioned on the last page, he had definitely addressed that which I always considered his biggest weak point and now possesses the same kind of in-car mental acuity that we saw from Prost and Schumacher.

It'll be interesting to see how Russell and Norris go relative to one another in the coming years.  I didn't really watch F2 last season, but the general consensus appears to be that Norris may have more raw pace, but that Russell looks the more well rounded overall.

Well if you combine the sort of one lap pace that has drawn comparisons with the likes of senna, with the mental robustness and calculation of the likes of prost/schumacher, then he is one hell of a driver.

I know that rightfully Leclerc has been getting the plaudits about his performance the entire weekend, but Hamilton kept his car in touch when it mattered with vettel and then completely battered him again when racing wheel to wheel. His adjustment on the first lap and then again when catching vettel to avoid any sort of contact was absolutely brilliant as well.

If he wins the championship this year then would this go down as his greatest ? All up for debate throughout the season I suppose which is shaping up to be a great one.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #645 on: April 1, 2019, 05:19:10 pm »
Well if you combine the sort of one lap pace that has drawn comparisons with the likes of senna, with the mental robustness and calculation of the likes of prost/schumacher, then he is one hell of a driver.

I know that rightfully Leclerc has been getting the plaudits about his performance the entire weekend, but Hamilton kept his car in touch when it mattered with vettel and then completely battered him again when racing wheel to wheel. His adjustment on the first lap and then again when catching vettel to avoid any sort of contact was absolutely brilliant as well.

If he wins the championship this year then would this go down as his greatest ? All up for debate throughout the season I suppose which is shaping up to be a great one.

It's way, way too early to be talking about where Lewis winning the championship this year would rank amongst his titles. We still have no idea how the cars pace will be relative to one another across the season, how well he will drive, how well others will drive et cetera.  Too many variables there and too much conjecture needed.  As you say though, it'll be a debate that will progress across the season possibly.

In terms of Lewis merits relative to the other all-time greats, I don't think that he is quite up there with Senna on one-lap pace and I don't think that he has quite the racing intelligence of Prost either.  I think that possibly Schumacher is the closest in comparison to Lewis at this point in time in that he (Lewis) has a complete skillset. 

I don't feel that Lewis is the best that there has been in any single aspect of racing, but what he does have is exceptional quality in all areas whereas many others could be described as lacking in a few areas, for want of a better descriptive.  As an example, Senna's one lap pace was unmatched, but his 'race intelligence' at times was questionable.  With Lewis, there's nothing that you can really look at right now and say "Lewis is a bit shit at.."

I still feel that Schumacher is the best driver that I've seen, but that's just my opinion and it's a debate that's been done to death on here.  Whichever way you look at it though, Lewis is - as you say - one hell of a driver.  The c*nt.    ;D   
« Last Edit: April 1, 2019, 05:24:59 pm by Darren G »

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #646 on: April 1, 2019, 06:04:54 pm »
He won't join same team as Leclerc. I think he'll stay at Red Bull for few years, see how they do. Then see what Hamilton does. I can see him going to Mercedes when Hamilton retires if Red Bull are still 3rd fastest.

I think it's up to Hamilton. He's got a contract for 2 more years. I think if he's in touching distance of Schumacher's race wins he'll carry on.  I don't think he'll win 7 titles though. Thing with Hamilton he's in Ferrari's head now. He's mentally stronger than their whole team, he makes not only Vettel panic, but the whole decision making side as well. Priceless in this sport which often comes down to little errors.

People won't agree and like him or hate him when he retires he'll most likely be the GOAT, for me.

If he wins this year - I think he races for 2 or 3 more years to try and tie or even beat Schumacher record of 7 titles.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #647 on: April 2, 2019, 11:36:15 am »
Hamilton makes the fewest mistakes of any driver I’ve seen.  He will now of course stick it into a wall!

But for his speed, his ability to avoid collisions and avoid going off is incredible
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #648 on: April 2, 2019, 03:45:31 pm »
Hamilton makes the fewest mistakes of any driver I’ve seen.  He will now of course stick it into a wall!

But for his speed, his ability to avoid collisions and avoid going off is incredible

I'd agree that he's right up there in avoiding mistakes over the past couple of years, but not over his career as a whole.  I'd deffo put Alonso for example ahead of him in that department.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #649 on: April 2, 2019, 03:48:22 pm »
I'd agree that he's right up there in avoiding mistakes over the past couple of years, but not over his career as a whole.  I'd deffo put Alonso for example ahead of him in that department.

I've always rated Kimi in this respect too - certainly in terms of avoiding contact.  Always firm but fair.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #650 on: April 2, 2019, 06:36:46 pm »
now there's a combination not seen for some time. it's actually somewhat eerie seeing it again.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3KVl-RXcAA2iza.jpg

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #651 on: April 2, 2019, 06:41:05 pm »
Alonso joined McLaren..  do mistakes get bigger ;D

Hamilton is also incredible in the rain though.  Up there with the Schumacher and the Sennas.  He’s not the race manager Schumacher was, but Schumacher made more mistakes. 
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #652 on: April 2, 2019, 07:07:47 pm »

Hamilton is also incredible in the rain though.  Up there with the Schumacher and the Sennas.  He’s not the race manager Schumacher was, but Schumacher made more mistakes. 
Comparing their careers overall?  Hmm...not so sure about that.  It should not be forgotten either that Michael was driving far more difficult to drive, temperamental cars for a number of years than Lewis has ever had to deal with, so at the end of the day it's probably an unfair comparison to be making.

I agree though that all three of the drivers that you mentioned are all brilliant in the wet.   The best wet weather drive in history though for my money is by Jackie Stewart at the 1968 German Grand Prix.

now there's a combination not seen for some time. it's actually somewhat eerie seeing it again.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3KVl-RXcAA2iza.jpg

Yeah, got a bit emotional looking at that pic.  :(
« Last Edit: April 2, 2019, 07:10:01 pm by Darren G »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #653 on: April 2, 2019, 08:03:39 pm »

Yeah great shout, he seems to be getting better too which is a bit scary.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: April 2, 2019, 09:42:33 pm »
Comparing their careers overall?  Hmm...not so sure about that.  It should not be forgotten either that Michael was driving far more difficult to drive, temperamental cars for a number of years than Lewis has ever had to deal with, so at the end of the day it's probably an unfair comparison to be making.

I agree though that all three of the drivers that you mentioned are all brilliant in the wet.   The best wet weather drive in history though for my money is by Jackie Stewart at the 1968 German Grand Prix.

Yeah, got a bit emotional looking at that pic.  :(
Schuey won 5 titles with a traction control Ferrari.

I won't mention the Bennetton "traction control" car. ;)
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: April 3, 2019, 03:51:47 am »
Schuey won 5 titles with a traction control Ferrari.

I won't mention the Bennetton "traction control" car. ;)

With all due respect, if you think that the Schumacher's Benetton cars were easy to drive - regardless of traction control speculation - then I'd suggest you do some reading on the subject.  It's a separate discussion, but I don't think that the cars had TC anyhow.  At least not 'proper' slip-based traction control.

I also don't think that traction control is a massive factor in the kind of mistakes that we are discussing, especially given how well it's mimicked in modern cars through torque mapping,  but granted, Schumacher had TC for 9 years out of the sixteen in his first career.  He also won 3 titles without it though and traction control is one factor among many that determines how difficult a car is to drive.

Overall, I still think that Alonso is the most 'mistake-proof' driver that I've seen. 
« Last Edit: April 3, 2019, 01:25:55 pm by Darren G »

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: April 3, 2019, 09:05:27 am »

ah yeah, Bruno, excellent wet weather driver ;)

did someone seriously ask mick schumacher about skiing?

Offline RacerX34

• Kopite
  • JFT 97
« Reply #657 on: April 3, 2019, 11:38:49 am »

Overall, I still think that Alonso is the most 'mistake-proof' driver that I've seen.

On track...

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #658 on: April 3, 2019, 01:18:30 pm »
On track...

;D  Yeah.  I mean, I wouldn't want him picking my lotto numbers like.

ah yeah, Bruno, excellent wet weather driver ;)

did someone seriously ask mick schumacher about skiing?

I'm not sure if you are asking in a rhetorical sense, but yeah it happened unfortunately: 

https://www.essentiallysports.com/journalist-asks-mick-schumacher-tactless-question/ 
« Last Edit: April 3, 2019, 01:24:38 pm by Darren G »

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #659 on: April 3, 2019, 01:58:40 pm »

I'm not sure if you are asking in a rhetorical sense, but yeah it happened unfortunately: 

https://www.essentiallysports.com/journalist-asks-mick-schumacher-tactless-question/ 
sick

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #660 on: April 3, 2019, 07:42:08 pm »

c*nt journalist
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: April 4, 2019, 02:56:12 pm »

Schumacher tested the alfa romeo yesterday

Alonso in the McLaren said it was good but not enough to tempt him back

Schumacher has impressed hasnt he

oh and George Russell was in the merc

Offline RacerX34

• Kopite
  • JFT 97
« Reply #662 on: April 4, 2019, 03:45:17 pm »

Schumacher tested the alfa romeo yesterday

Alonso in the McLaren said it was good but not enough to tempt him back

Schumacher has impressed hasnt he

oh and George Russell was in the merc

There's a proper pilot in there.
Hope they take their time with him because the spotlight is going to shine like nothing we've seen before when he does arrive.
Reporters asking skiing questions like they did should be binned off too. Utter trash.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #663 on: April 4, 2019, 04:43:31 pm »
Are we not jumping to conclusions with Mick Schumacher here? His times look good in comparison to others but he could have been on a qualifying lap setup when he set those times in which case they would be some way off the standard when comparing with the actual times from the race weekend. We simply don’t know if his times are good or not because we lack the information on his setup as far as I’m aware.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #664 on: April 4, 2019, 04:44:38 pm »
true but this is one of his first times in an f1 car is it not?

so i would be impressed by that

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #665 on: April 4, 2019, 04:53:59 pm »
true but this is one of his first times in an f1 car is it not?

so i would be impressed by that

Yeah that’s fair enough. I think it would be a reasonable assumption to say he’s put in a good showing even though we don’t know the setup as his times are decent regardless. I suppose my issue was more with the word ‘impressed’ but then perhaps my definition of impressed could be a different level than yours, it’s all subjective I suppose  ;D
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #666 on: April 4, 2019, 05:07:24 pm »
His times look good in comparison to others but he could have been on a qualifying lap setup when he set those times in which case they would be some way off the standard when comparing with the actual times from the race weekend. We simply don’t know if his times are good or not because we lack the information on his setup as far as I’m aware.

Yeah that’s absolutely a qualifying setup time, it’s 4 seconds faster than the fastest lap in the race.

Offline RacerX34

• Kopite
  • JFT 97
« Reply #667 on: April 5, 2019, 09:38:17 am »
Are we not jumping to conclusions with Mick Schumacher here? His times look good in comparison to others but he could have been on a qualifying lap setup when he set those times in which case they would be some way off the standard when comparing with the actual times from the race weekend. We simply don’t know if his times are good or not because we lack the information on his setup as far as I’m aware.

My point was really that they (the family) need to be careful with him, and I'm sure they are,
because the media around him is already primed to go nuts.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #668 on: April 5, 2019, 10:22:28 am »

Exactly.  Mick's best time in the Ferrari was 2.11 seconds off Leclerc's pole time and he was also half a second slower than Verstappen, who was the only other low-fuel runner and was using tyres 2 compounds harder.  He had a decent run in the Alfa, but I'm unsure on fuel loads for that.  He did ok for his first time in f1 cars, but anything more than that is speculation and over-hype.

The lad may turn out to be a world beater, but there's nothing to suggest that's the case at this point in time.  Take away the surname and look only at the empirical evidence and there's nothing to suggest at this point in time that he's anything special.  The hype is frankly ridiculous and like Racerx34 says, I hope that he gets some protection from that because if he doesn't succeed the twats in the press will make it a bloodbath.
« Last Edit: April 5, 2019, 10:27:12 am by Darren G »

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #669 on: April 5, 2019, 02:53:18 pm »
i didnt know the tyres or loads

he might get a go in free practice sometime

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #670 on: April 7, 2019, 05:42:54 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47833170

Leclerc was asked to back off and not pass Vettel as he caught him in the closing stages in Australia, and in Bahrain he was quicker than the four-time champion throughout the weekend.

Leclerc qualified on pole, 0.3 seconds ahead of Vettel, lost the lead at the start but caught and passed the German, ignoring a request from the team to hold station behind Vettel for two laps

Don't know who the author is to that piece but did anyone else hear that?
YNWA

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #671 on: April 7, 2019, 08:26:11 pm »
I said at the end of last season that I could see Leclerc doing to Vettel what Hamilton did to Alonso.

Ferrari may have a decision to make at some point as Alonso and Hamilton took too many points off each other which cost them the championship.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #672 on: April 7, 2019, 08:27:17 pm »

Leclerc was asked to back off and not pass Vettel as he caught him in the closing stages in Australia, and in Bahrain he was quicker than the four-time champion throughout the weekend.

Leclerc qualified on pole, 0.3 seconds ahead of Vettel, lost the lead at the start but caught and passed the German, ignoring a request from the team to hold station behind Vettel for two laps

yeah. think it was on sky too.

Offline RacerX34

• Kopite
  • JFT 97
« Reply #673 on: April 7, 2019, 09:12:14 pm »

There is a video of it online.
He's told to hold off for two laps and instead puts it around the outside of Vettel.
Throwing down a marker.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #674 on: April 7, 2019, 09:23:21 pm »
Way way way too early to be writing Vettel off I think
W

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #675 on: April 7, 2019, 09:34:17 pm »
Going to be interesting to see how he handles pressure from both outside, and inside, rivals.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline RacerX34

• Kopite
  • JFT 97
« Reply #676 on: April 7, 2019, 09:35:06 pm »

Who's writing him off?

It's certainly lining up to be a tougher season for him than last.
He'll have to dig very deep this season.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #677 on: April 8, 2019, 08:06:37 pm »

There’s an Australian somewhere pissing himself with laughter.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #678 on: April 8, 2019, 08:10:00 pm »

If your talking about this season yes, completely.

If your talking about the last 10 races or so then it might not be so premature.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: April 8, 2019, 08:10:15 pm »

There’s an Australian somewhere pissing himself with laughter.

Mutli 5-16 doesn't have the same ring to it does it? :D