Author Topic: The 2019 Formula One Thread  (Read 142259 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Re: The 2019 Formula One Thread
« Reply #560 on: March 21, 2019, 07:12:03 pm »
Senna would have been 59 today
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #561 on: March 22, 2019, 03:18:34 pm »
That’s because they didn’t have about 24 people on a car.

I’d restrict the number of people on pit stops.  It would be much safe and would also make cockups  more likely
You could get away with six people on pit stops I reckon, with only two wheels being worked on at once.  Two jackmen (or follow the NASCAR way where the car pops jacks out from underneath itself) and two people per tyre.  Also I get nervy when I see mechanics holding the hydraulic hoses when a neighbouring team makes a stop, why can't they connect them more to the overhead rigging and have them retract when not in use?
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #562 on: March 22, 2019, 03:24:09 pm »
Also I get nervy when I see mechanics holding the hydraulic hoses when a neighbouring team makes a stop, why can't they connect them more to the overhead rigging and have them retract when not in use?

They're pneumatic aren't they, not hydraulic?

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #563 on: March 22, 2019, 03:54:39 pm »
They're pneumatic aren't they, not hydraulic?
Yeah, I meant that.  I mis-spelled hydraulic originally too.  Perhaps them being pneumatic would prevent that sort of retractable system if there's damage to the hoses.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #564 on: March 22, 2019, 04:03:41 pm »
You could get away with six people on pit stops I reckon, with only two wheels being worked on at once.  Two jackmen (or follow the NASCAR way where the car pops jacks out from underneath itself) and two people per tyre.  Also I get nervy when I see mechanics holding the hydraulic hoses when a neighbouring team makes a stop, why can't they connect them more to the overhead rigging and have them retract when not in use?
it would take a lot more time though

i like seeing a team with a double stack and the cars are in and out no bother

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #565 on: March 25, 2019, 03:33:29 pm »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #566 on: March 25, 2019, 06:20:26 pm »
Mick Schumacher is set to make his Formula 1 test debut with Ferrari at next week's post-Bahrain Grand Prix test

That is going to be a strange day

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #567 on: March 26, 2019, 03:40:59 pm »
Mick Schumacher is set to make his Formula 1 test debut with Ferrari at next week's post-Bahrain Grand Prix test

That is going to be a strange day

I’ll keep calm for now but if one day he’s lining up on the grid at the start of a season in a beautiful red car I think I might just shed a little tear.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #568 on: March 26, 2019, 04:00:21 pm »
I’ll keep calm for now but if one day he’s lining up on the grid at the start of a season in a beautiful red car I think I might just shed a little tear.
i will if his dad ever showed up again

heres hoping

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: March 27, 2019, 09:17:19 am »
Dunno if anyone on here is going, but there's going to be a big tribute to Shumi (Michael) at Goodwood this year: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/news/f1/goodwood-celebrate-michael-schumacher

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #570 on: March 28, 2019, 01:18:42 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/mar/27/najah-yusuf-prison-f1-bahrain-grand-prix

Should we all be avoiding watching the Grand Prix ? Should the drivers stand up and refuse to race ? Does this apply to many other countries that races take place in and it would be the thin end of the wedge ? Would it be hypocrisy of the highest order ? So many things to ponder.

Personally, I think the drivers should take a stand here. I don`t buy the argument that sport and politics should be kept separate. If they did take a stand then it would embarrass the government and destroy their sparkling sporting spectacle. If someone like Lewis Hamilton was to refuse to race and make it very public why, then he would have my support.

How does everyone else feel about this ?
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #571 on: March 28, 2019, 01:30:03 pm »
There's a 0% chance of any driver refusing to race.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #572 on: March 28, 2019, 01:43:48 pm »
It's extremely hard to rationalise. The story is extremely disturbing and should not be happening in any place in the world. It would all be very noble if the drivers were to take a stand (even if it was just in interviews or press briefings).

But at the very base level they are just drivers. They may be world class racers and able to judge mechanical situations better than everyone in the world. But to expect these guys to take a political stance would be very unfair.

This lands squarely at the feet of Liberty media and Bernie for doing deals that bring races to countries where freedom of speech and political activism are not legally protected.

Bernie all the way back in 2013

“We don’t go anywhere to judge how a country is run,” he said. “I keep asking people, what human rights - I don’t know what they are."

Put it this way. SKY's coverage of F1 this weekend will only mention how wonderful and welcoming the Bahrain royal family have been, none of the drivers or teams will mention it and I'm sure all the guys on the podium will drink their rose water and say 'what a great crowd we have here and we can't wait to come back in 2020'. It's sad but where do you go from there

Do you boycott the Chinese GP due to the human rights violations? Do you boycott Monaco for being a tax haven for the rich and famous,

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #573 on: March 28, 2019, 02:02:38 pm »
It's extremely hard to rationalise. The story is extremely disturbing and should not be happening in any place in the world. It would all be very noble if the drivers were to take a stand (even if it was just in interviews or press briefings).

But at the very base level they are just drivers. They may be world class racers and able to judge mechanical situations better than everyone in the world. But to expect these guys to take a political stance would be very unfair.

This lands squarely at the feet of Liberty media and Bernie for doing deals that bring races to countries where freedom of speech and political activism are not legally protected.

“We don’t go anywhere to judge how a country is run,” he said. “I keep asking people, what human rights - I don’t know what they are."

Put it this way. SKY's coverage of F1 this weekend will only mention how wonderful and welcoming the Bahrain royal family have been, none of the drivers or teams will mention it and I'm sure all the guys on the podium will drink their rose water and say 'what a great crowd we have here and we can't wait to come back in 2020'. It's sad but where do you go from there

Do you boycott the Chinese GP due to the human rights violations? Do you boycott Monaco for being a tax haven for the rich and famous,

Agree with most of that. There is an argument to be had on so many of the race venues. However, this is where the power of the drivers comes to the fore. If even just one of them, particularly a high profile driver, were to take a stand it would be very hard to ignore and no one could brush over it. I accept that it is Bernie, and then latterly Liberty Media, who should be leading but sometimes it takes the brave stance of one high profile individual to provide the impetus for change.

I accept that it is highly unlikely anything will be mentioned
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #574 on: March 29, 2019, 11:15:52 am »
Free practice underway and Crofty is talking to Christian Horner:

Crofty: Christian, Christian, is that fire in the pit lane!?

Horner: it's smoke from a leaf-blower.   :duh

Online Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #575 on: March 29, 2019, 12:59:30 pm »
Interesting times in FP1. Sainz is just shy of the Red Bulls, shame he will cop a grid penalty.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #577 on: March 29, 2019, 05:28:28 pm »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #578 on: March 29, 2019, 05:46:18 pm »
Hmmmm..

The gap to Ferrari was what we saw in preseason.  Australia was a bit different as it didn’t favour Ferrari...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #579 on: March 29, 2019, 06:03:42 pm »
Just seen that on the BBC. I sincerely hope he still has some of the old magic to help this grand old team.

unless he can design and build a new car within a few weeks I can't imagine it'll make much difference. I reckon it seems like they've brought him in to have a good rummage around the entire company.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #580 on: March 29, 2019, 06:10:17 pm »
I find it difficult to get sentimental about that particular 'grand old team' given that I feel they were complicit in covering up the cause of Senna's death.  Head in particular was actually found guilty of manslaughter for all intents and purposes.  I don't 'hate' Williams, but at the same time wouldn't mind in the slightest if they went under.   

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #581 on: March 29, 2019, 06:13:53 pm »
Hmmmm..

The gap to Ferrari was what we saw in preseason.  Australia was a bit different as it didn’t favour Ferrari...

...or Bahrain is a bit different as it favours Ferrari.  Either way, it's FP2 mate, you're jumping the gun a bit.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #582 on: March 29, 2019, 06:25:05 pm »
...or Bahrain is a bit different as it favours Ferrari.  Either way, it's FP2 mate, you're jumping the gun a bit.
You’re right.. but Australia wasn’t the best indication of the season as a whole.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #583 on: March 29, 2019, 06:34:24 pm »
Hmmmm..

havent seen the final fp2 times as stopped watching it with about 40mins left but i think merc have a lot left in tank considering how close the other teams where to them time wise

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #584 on: March 29, 2019, 06:34:30 pm »
You’re right.. but Australia wasn’t the best indication of the season as a whole.

No, I agree, Australia is never a good barometer for the season ahead.  By the same token though, it's a bit early to conclude that Ferrari have their pre-season gap based upon two free practice sessions at a track where Ferrari have beaten Mercedes for the past two years.  In addition, I'm sure that you are just as aware as I am that Mercedes' have historically been some pre-quali, sandbagging bastards.    ;D

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: March 29, 2019, 08:41:31 pm »
Ferrari had the engines turned up

Still don't expect them to qualify any higher than third

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #586 on: March 29, 2019, 08:51:07 pm »
the red on leclerc's lid is the colour the ferrari should be. it's too orange this year for my liking.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #587 on: March 29, 2019, 08:58:46 pm »
the red on leclerc's lid is the colour the ferrari should be. it's too orange this year for my liking.
That Ferrari is pig ugly.

It’s gross.
W

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #588 on: March 29, 2019, 10:46:56 pm »

It’s cos they’re using matte paint

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #589 on: March 29, 2019, 10:52:28 pm »

It's disgusting how the drivers have all stayed silent imo.Lewis had plenty to say about the racism during the England game but nowt about his own sports shortcomings.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #590 on: March 29, 2019, 11:05:31 pm »
It’s cos they’re using matte paint

so's the paint on his lid, which is why I noticed it

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #591 on: March 29, 2019, 11:21:28 pm »

It's disgusting how the drivers have all stayed silent imo.Lewis had plenty to say about the racism during the England game but nowt about his own sports shortcomings.

Racism in football is low hanging fruit right now. Easy to say the right things without really offending anyone. 'racism is bad and has no place in modern society' is not going to offend anyone

There are people far more eloquent and educated that would worry about wading into politics in the Middle East. Stick a guy that rides a scooter down a pitlane with his 'personal trainer' running beside him in front of a camera to bash the country that's paid him millions whilst he's in the actual country he's bashing wouldn't be sensible.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #592 on: March 30, 2019, 02:23:15 am »

He has spoken about racial issues within F1 many times. In relation to his experiences growing up within motorsport.

In cases like Bahrain, a driver saying something for affect isnt going to move the needle. Thats a question for governments around the world.
They are athletes, as much as people act like they are important. They really arent.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 02:26:02 am by b_joseph »

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #593 on: March 30, 2019, 07:12:48 am »

It's pretty much the same exact same colour.  ;D

I agree with you though that there's a bit too much of an orange hue to this year's car under certain lighting conditions.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 07:42:29 am by Darren G »

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #594 on: March 30, 2019, 11:37:21 am »
It's pretty much the same exact same colour.  ;D

I agree with you though that there's a bit too much of an orange hue to this year's car under certain lighting conditions.

It isn't. Watch the on-board camera footage.

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #595 on: March 30, 2019, 01:02:39 pm »
Amazing how far ahead Ferrari are.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: March 30, 2019, 01:07:25 pm »
It will be closer in cooler temps but probably not enough to avoid a red front row. Can LeClerc do it?

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: March 30, 2019, 01:16:06 pm »
It isn't. Watch the on-board camera footage.

Erm...yes, it is.  You can clearly see that in the photos that I've posted. It looks more pink/red on the onboard camera footage, just as the car does:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gWK9uu1Df9A&amp;t=13s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gWK9uu1Df9A&amp;t=13s</a>

The only part in the traditional 'Ferrari red' is on the visor.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 01:39:02 pm by Darren G »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #598 on: March 30, 2019, 01:56:23 pm »
Ferrari are massive favourites for this race and you’d think for the season
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: March 30, 2019, 03:00:36 pm »
Any streams?