Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1430630 times)

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #8800 on: March 28, 2019, 09:47:15 am »
Ian Wright gave his honest match for match predictions the other day on that programme with Kenny's Daughter Kelly.

He was pretty realistic with his scores actually and was punching the air when it transpired that his scores meant the final table read ...

C Liverpool 95pts
2 Manchester City 94pts

He'd basically put us both down to win every game apart from us drawing 2-2 with Spurs and City drawing 1-1 with Spurs and 2-2 with United.

Sound. I'll take that.

Yeah, I've been saying for weeks we will still win the league even after dropping points against United, Everton and Spurs or Chelsea.

Them having a three point lead on us is not the end. I see them dropping points in at least three games.

But Ian's predictions are silly cos he has City scoring big wins in weeks with three heavy games. If you analyse how Pep is prepping City, he plays slowly for narrow wins now and it's in the UCL that he's making them burst with full energy. I don't see City winning all their games against Palace, Leicester and Brighton.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #8801 on: March 28, 2019, 10:14:42 am »
Yeah, I've been saying for weeks we will still win the league even after dropping points against United, Everton and Spurs or Chelsea.

Them having a three point lead on us is not the end. I see them dropping points in at least three games.

But Ian's predictions are silly cos he has City scoring big wins in weeks with three heavy games. If you analyse how Pep is prepping City, he plays slowly for narrow wins now and it's in the UCL that he's making them burst with full energy. I don't see City winning all their games against Palace, Leicester and Brighton.

I hope you're right.

Everyone seems to be 'banking' on them dropping points against Spurs and United but I can see them winning those two (especially United for obvious reasons) just like they breezed past Arsenal, Everton and Chelsea in that crucial week where we were almost certain they'd drop points.

It'll be just like football that they drop points in an unexpected game like they did at Newcastle.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8802 on: March 28, 2019, 10:23:23 am »

I hope you're right.

Everyone seems to be 'banking' on them dropping points against Spurs and United but I can see them winning those two (especially United for obvious reasons) just like they breezed past Arsenal, Everton and Chelsea in that crucial week where we were almost certain they'd drop points.

It'll be just like football that they drop points in an unexpected game like they did at Newcastle.

If thats the case (which I don't think it will be), we need them dropping points in the next 3. If they get past Spurs and United winning both, they should have enough to beat Burnley and Brighton, at least one of which will be safe by time they play, maybe both and a Leicester side at home who have nothing to play for.

I think we drop points in one game this season, so we need them to drop points in 2 games. If one of them ain't United or Spurs, I don't see where they drop points in two other games.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8803 on: March 28, 2019, 10:41:20 am »

Is that correct? They aren't just fucking knackered then and profiting from the odd lucky break [West Ham/Watford home, Bournemouth away to some extent].
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8804 on: March 28, 2019, 10:44:17 am »
If thats the case (which I don't think it will be), we need them dropping points in the next 3. If they get past Spurs and United winning both, they should have enough to beat Burnley and Brighton, at least one of which will be safe by time they play, maybe both and a Leicester side at home who have nothing to play for.

I think we drop points in one game this season, so we need them to drop points in 2 games. If one of them ain't United or Spurs, I don't see where they drop points in two other games.

I'm with what you saying there. I also have my hopes on Burnley. Fulham is an easier game for them than Burnley.
Weeks ago i also thought they'd win both the United and Spurs games, while suspecting they'd drop points against 2 of the relegation candidates. However since the UCL draw was made for the quarter-finals I suspect they won't beat Spurs in the league. When you play the same team three times in such a short space of time, it becomes extremely tight and if Tottenham's out of the UCL and their season hanging by a thread to qualify for the UCL again with that stadium, I can see them playing with wide eyes to make sure they get something at the Etihad. The only downside is that they could be psychologically fragile and their whole season goes freefall from there.

Offline SteveZissou

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8805 on: March 28, 2019, 10:52:26 am »
Is that correct? They aren't just fucking knackered then and profiting from the odd lucky break [West Ham/Watford home, Bournemouth away to some extent].

Yeah, I thought they had nothing in the tank, but then watch their Schalke game how they came back with 10 men, the FA Cup comeback with a lot of new energy in reserve (even though the goals were dodgy they raised their game) and the most important example they somehow found amazing energy to totally wipe the floor with Schalke at home. Now, they could've just won that game 1 or 2-0 and relaxed. But Pep certainly wanted them to make a statement there and it was clear to me that they're keeping the most energy for the UCL. For the Fa Cup game I mentioned above, what happened is that they played it slow like they did in the easy league games, but once they saw they were in trouble, then they started to turn it on. And yes, they were obviously lucky with decisions in all those games that they went slow and in my opinion they deserved to drop points in at least one of those games... but my point is that they were able to increase their energy when they wanted.

The only exception I think is the West Ham game cos they were most tired then after the League Cup extra time. That's the result I was most upset about due to the 'nothing' penalty, particularly when you consider we were denied a penalty on Naby Keita against West Ham. That's a 4 point swing there.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 10:56:00 am by SteveZissou »

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8806 on: March 28, 2019, 10:55:37 am »
Yeah, I thought they had nothing in the tank, but then watch their Schalke game how they came back with 10 men, the FA Cup comeback with a lot of new energy in reserve (even though the goals were dodgy they raised their game) and the most important example they somehow found amazing energy to totally wipe the floor with Schalke at home. Now, they could've just won that game 1 or 2-0 and relaxed. But Pep certainly wanted them to make a statement there and it was clear to me that they're keeping the most energy for the UCL. For the Fa Cup game I mentioned above, what happened is that they played it slow like they did in the easy league games, but once they saw they were in trouble, then they started to turn it on. And yes, they were obviously lucky with decisions in all those games that they went slow and in my opinion they deserved to drop points in at least one of those games... but my point is that they were able to increase their energy when they wanted.

The only exception I think is the West Ham game cos they were most tired then after the League Cup extra time.

Hang on a minute. They came back against a german pub team, swansea when they brought re-inforcements on at 2-0 down, and then they comprehensively beat said german pub team at home? Nah, not having that's some grand plan.  Let's see how much they've got in the tank if someone slightly above the relegation places in germany give them a game.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline SteveZissou

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8807 on: March 28, 2019, 10:58:22 am »
Hang on a minute. They came back against a german pub team, swansea when they brought re-inforcements on at 2-0 down, and then they comprehensively beat said german pub team at home? Nah, not having that's some grand plan.  Let's see how much they've got in the tank if someone slightly above the relegation places in germany give them a game.

That doesn't matter to me. I wrote my complaints above about how they won those games. All I'm referring to is their energy levels. They could be playing a team from Swaziland and then a team from Mauritius with wins, but I'm taking note of how they start very slow and increase their energy in the game and how they start certain games (the UCL at home) with full energy. As I pointed out, they could've just relaxed after being 2 goals up and conserved their energy, but they didn't. My point is an optimistic one, cos they got away with it in recent league games so they've been spoilt by the refs, but that won't happen when they keep playing slowly against teams fighting for survival. That's why I believe we will do it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:00:56 am by SteveZissou »

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #8808 on: March 28, 2019, 12:29:05 pm »
Not your second team then? ;-)

:o :o

Where have you been hiding!?
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Macca201188

• Kopite
« Reply #8809 on: March 28, 2019, 12:58:22 pm »
Ian Wright gave his honest match for match predictions the other day on that programme with Kenny's Daughter Kelly.

He was pretty realistic with his scores actually and was punching the air when it transpired that his scores meant the final table read ...

C Liverpool 95pts
2 Manchester City 94pts

He'd basically put us both down to win every game apart from us drawing 2-2 with Spurs and City drawing 1-1 with Spurs and 2-2 with United.

Sound. I'll take that.

That is roughly what i could envisage, and it is why i get so excited, although there are so many things that may happen. Be a killer if we lose out on GD!
The reds are comin up the hill boys....

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #8810 on: March 28, 2019, 02:03:43 pm »

Just busy with life really, but enjoyed my time here yesterday and have ventured back today so maybe I'm back   :-)
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #8811 on: March 28, 2019, 05:57:14 pm »
Just busy with life really, but enjoyed my time here yesterday and have ventured back today so maybe I'm back   :-)

Well welcome back (that is if you will be staying a bit more).  :wave
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8812 on: March 28, 2019, 06:26:08 pm »

C Liverpool 95pts
2 Manchester City 94pts

Sound. I'll take that.

Its going require some really strong stomach’s if we draw to Spurs on Saturday. Ill be honest my first reaction would be that we wont be winning the league.

Again timing is everything. I said a draw and 7 wins now takes it but if that draw is on Sunday then I would struggle to believe we still win it.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #8813 on: March 28, 2019, 06:31:52 pm »
Its going require some really strong stomach’s if we draw to Spurs on Saturday. Ill be honest my first reaction would be that we wont be winning the league.

Again timing is everything. I said a draw and 7 wins now takes it but if that draw is on Sunday then I would struggle to believe we still win it.
Good job we can beat them on Sunday rather than Saturday!
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #8814 on: March 28, 2019, 06:33:29 pm »
To be honest, I really don't see the point in predicting where points will be dropped by both teams as some are doing. I can see the draws or losses being where we least expect it as has been the case so many times this season. That being said, the timing of the dropped points are very important and if we draw on Sunday, I can see us drawing a few more after that.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8815 on: March 28, 2019, 06:36:39 pm »

Mount Versuvias wasn’t it?

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #8816 on: March 28, 2019, 08:01:35 pm »
There's going to be a twist here and turn there.

I have a feeling about this weekend.

City to draw and us to win.
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline SteveZissou

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8817 on: March 28, 2019, 08:28:24 pm »
To be honest, I really don't see the point in predicting where points will be dropped by both teams as some are doing.

if we draw on Sunday, I can see us drawing a few more after that.

The predictions are a form of therapy. Be one with it.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8818 on: March 28, 2019, 09:07:33 pm »
There's going to be a twist here and turn there.

I have a feeling about this weekend.

City to draw and us to win.

Fulham have 0 chance.

Offline Perham

• Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #8819 on: March 28, 2019, 09:37:45 pm »
The predictions are a form of therapy. Be one with it.
Yeah to be fair, it's natural to try to predict it and see where we might end up but it's ultimately pointless. In a title race like this one, anything can happen.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline stuartheal

• Kopite
« Reply #8820 on: March 28, 2019, 09:42:33 pm »
Fulham have 0 chance.

They have very little chance, but not 0 chance. City and us play 15 games between now and the end of the season, unless it is decided before the last day, every single one will have an impact on who lifts the title.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #8821 on: March 28, 2019, 09:55:15 pm »
They have very little chance, but not 0 chance. City and us play 15 games between now and the end of the season, unless it is decided before the last day, every single one will have an impact on who lifts the title.

He's right, they have 0 chance. We should have scored a minimum of 4 goals against them despite a half-arsed performance. They have one of the worst defenses I've ever seen, and they've already given up on staying up.

Offline stuartheal

• Kopite
« Reply #8822 on: March 28, 2019, 10:04:59 pm »
He's right, they have 0 chance. We should have scored a minimum of 4 goals against them despite a half-arsed performance. They have one of the worst defenses I've ever seen, and they've already given up on staying up.

I would be absolutely amazed if they got anything, however there is always a chance, however slim. A worldie, a couple of City red cards, an inept refereeing decision. Mind you, Fulham would probably need all of these to stand a chance.

Offline Jack The Lad

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8823 on: March 28, 2019, 10:14:46 pm »

There’s a reason that Fulham are on their 3rd manager this season - they are fcking awful. I think they are team that doesn’t matter who manages them, they are beyond help. City turn up for this it will be 4-0. This won’t be the game City drop points in, I’m 100% confident in saying that.

Offline Perham

• Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #8824 on: March 28, 2019, 10:22:15 pm »
I don't understand this argument. You're saying our Fulham game was only close because of our "half-arsed performance" but I don't know why you see it as impossible that city also play half-arsed themselves. It seems like some people see city as being on another level to us but there's a reason why we're up there with them. City can play poorly just like everyone else and so saying there's zero chance of even a draw is simply wrong.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8825 on: March 28, 2019, 10:44:17 pm »
I've had a feeling for a few months that Klopp has been riding the lads like a clever jockey, holding them back until the final couple of furlongs. From things I have read this week back up what I felt, I think we will see heavy metal footy from now one, blowing teams away.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #8826 on: March 28, 2019, 11:01:28 pm »
I don't understand this argument. You're saying our Fulham game was only close because of our "half-arsed performance" but I don't know why you see it as impossible that city also play half-arsed themselves. It seems like some people see city as being on another level to us but there's a reason why we're up there with them. City can play poorly just like everyone else and so saying there's zero chance of even a draw is simply wrong.

It's simple really. We were a bit casual in the Fulham game because we had an extremely difficult away tie at Bayern a few days earlier, while they had a training session against Schalke in Manchester. As for their upcoming game with Fulham, a lot of their players either didn't play or played little international football so I expect that even at 50% they should be able to blow Fulham away.

Offline Perham

• Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #8827 on: March 28, 2019, 11:05:11 pm »
It's simple really. We were a bit casual in the Fulham game because we had an extremely difficult away tie at Bayern a few days earlier, while they had a training session against Schalke in Manchester. As for their upcoming game with Fulham, a lot of their players either didn't play or played little international football so I expect that even at 50% they should be able to blow Fulham away.
Sure but to say there's zero chance of them dropping points is just wrong. City have had their players go across the world on internationals, while most Fulham players stayed at home and have probably been preparing all week for this.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8828 on: March 29, 2019, 06:19:45 am »
I would be absolutely amazed if they got anything, however there is always a chance, however slim. A worldie, a couple of City red cards, an inept refereeing decision. Mind you, Fulham would probably need all of these to stand a chance.

Well they held us to 2-1 without any of those. Granted their goal was a mistake, but them scoring shouldn't be our main concern, it should be keeping them out. Our winner was an absolute howler from them. That pen should never have been conceded.

Its highly unlikely they get anything but all they need is for City to play a little worse than we did and for them to play a little better. Hardly inconceivable they could grab a draw. Not going to be betting on it, mind.  ;D

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8829 on: March 29, 2019, 06:58:34 am »
All we can do is keep winning. The league is out of our hands right now.

All the pressure is on man city as the plucky underdogs go for the quadruple. They’re going to have to go for it in every game they play. They’re a very arrogant team, with a very arrogant manager, who feel they just have to turn up to win these days. So who knows.

Tottenham next for us, that’s all we need to know.

Offline an tha

• RAWK's Serious Voice Of Reason And Logic. We'd all be lost without him, lost, I tell you! Mathematically-speaking, not banned yet......
  • Kopite
  • Talking about The Reds an tha....
« Reply #8830 on: March 29, 2019, 08:36:22 am »

Would not surprise me if they surrender in the same way Bournemouth did and just camp in own half hoping to not lose and having 0 attempts on or even at goal, 0 corners and about 20% of the ball.

That performance still irritates me now and the media barely called them out for it.

OK they were outmatched, but fucking hell - those stats at home in a PL game are ones they should be ashamed of.

Not even so much as a shot from 20 yards that sailed over the bar....

Fulham shouldn't do same as they are down and have nothing to lose - or if they are gonna pull off a miracle escape then a draw is no good...but i would not be shocked at all to see them just want to avoid embarrassment and be totally passive.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 08:39:59 am by an tha »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #8831 on: March 29, 2019, 08:41:21 am »
Would not surprise me if they surrender in the same way Bournemouth did and just camp in own half hoping to not lose and having 0 attempts on or even at goal, 0 corners and about 20% of the ball.

That performance still irritates me now and the media barely called them out for it.

OK they were outmatched, but fucking hell - those stats at home in a PL game are ones they should be ashamed of.

Not even so much as a shot from 20 yards that sailed over the bar....

Not really any point in them doing that. They are already down, doesn’t help Parker’s cause for the permanent job if they ‘only’ get slightly less battered by City and doesn’t help the few PL level players they’ve got get moves in the summer if they shit out for the rest of the season.

Ryan Babel for the win
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #8832 on: March 29, 2019, 08:55:08 am »
Had a dream last night that City were 6-0 up against Fulham inside 10 minutes. I honestly don't think that's an unrealistic scenario.

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8833 on: March 29, 2019, 09:03:17 am »
Anyone else enjoyed the mental break?

My head isnt ready for this weekend

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8834 on: March 29, 2019, 09:03:52 am »

Rafa was hammered for it last season.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8835 on: March 29, 2019, 09:05:35 am »
Had a dream last night that City were 6-0 up against Fulham inside 10 minutes. I honestly don't think that's an unrealistic scenario.

Well the good news here is, its less realistic than Fulham getting a draw.

Offline an tha

• RAWK's Serious Voice Of Reason And Logic. We'd all be lost without him, lost, I tell you! Mathematically-speaking, not banned yet......
  • Kopite
« Reply #8836 on: March 29, 2019, 09:06:28 am »
Not really any point in them doing that. They are already down, doesn’t help Parker’s cause for the permanent job if they ‘only’ get slightly less battered by City and doesn’t help the few PL level players they’ve got get moves in the summer if they shit out for the rest of the season.

Ryan Babel for the win

I agree but it is very much in fashion for teams to take this approach against them - sadly.

A 'plucky' 1-0 loss for 'brave' Scotty and his boys where they tried a 'brave' rearguard v the bestest team in the whole world like ever would probably be lauded and seen as better for his job prospects than a 5-0 bumming.

Offline an tha

• Kopite
« Reply #8837 on: March 29, 2019, 09:07:18 am »
Rafa was hammered for it last season.

'Negative' foreigner.

'Plucky' English manager.

If Bournemouth were managed by Eduardo Howe he'd have got hammered.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:09:16 am by an tha »

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #8838 on: March 29, 2019, 09:15:21 am »
Anyone else enjoyed the mental break?

My head isnt ready for this weekend

Me...

Thought very little about this season in the last couple of weeks and have enjoyed it.
Sunday will be massive and only today am I gonna start thinking about it more as its right around the corner.....such a massive game in the context of this run-in. There are no interruptions now in the league for us
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8839 on: March 29, 2019, 09:59:58 am »

I had a dream last night Fulham won 1-0  ;D