Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 982323 times)

Offline Mr_Shane

• Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #4120 on: February 1, 2019, 02:48:37 AM »
I know that I watched it with zero anxiety and whilst it was a missed opportunity,we stretched our lead and that's all I care about.

Call bullshit all you like,fact is,you're wrong.

Same here. The result is disappointing, but we are still ahead in the table. We still have our fate in our own hands and in fact have extended our lead. If you are anxious now, whats going to happen 5 games down the road, when there are 9 games left and its crunch time? Oh to fast forward to the end of the season when we all know whats going to happen...

Offline Number 7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • "the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing"
« Reply #4121 on: February 1, 2019, 03:21:45 AM »
If you can't create a positive atmosphere at the match in times like this then don't watch football. Being nervous and anxious during a game is normal, but sitting on your arse and being dead silent and moaning instead spurring the lads on, you know who are trying to win it after 29 years of not winning it, is baffling.

I was watching on TV and I actually felt more nervous looking at faces and expressions in the crowd. The tension was just unbearable. It’s impossible for that not to transmit on the pitch. I am already dreading what the atmosphere is going to be like in the Bournemouth game. I think the fans in the ground just need believe in the team a little bit more. I mean we’re not on this position by fluke. We must have done something right to be where we are.

This is probably going to sound strange but it might actually be better for us to play away right now after that game, than at home. There will be no tension away at West Ham and the away end will be bouncing. I think we’ll play far better than yesterday and West Ham are not going to defend in 2 banks of 4. They will give it a go which always plays in to our hands on the road.
YWNA

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • Believer
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4122 on: February 1, 2019, 04:02:03 AM »
I agree with number7, we need some psychological freedom at this time.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline deFacto

• farKnow
  • Believer
  • Powered by Ribena
« Reply #4123 on: February 1, 2019, 04:17:36 AM »
I was watching on TV and I actually felt more nervous looking at faces and expressions in the crowd. The tension was just unbearable. It’s impossible for that not to transmit on the pitch. I am already dreading what the atmosphere is going to be like in the Bournemouth game. I think the fans in the ground just need believe in the team a little bit more. I mean we’re not on this position by fluke. We must have done something right to be where we are.

This is probably going to sound strange but it might actually be better for us to play away right now after that game, than at home. There will be no tension away at West Ham and the away end will be bouncing. I think we’ll play far better than yesterday and West Ham are not going to defend in 2 banks of 4. They will give it a go which always plays in to our hands on the road.
I think everyone needs to smoke some quality J before the match.

I agree with you playing away from Anfield is a blessing right now

Offline Kansti

• Believer
  • Stargazer
« Reply #4124 on: February 1, 2019, 05:11:24 AM »
I think everyone needs to smoke some quality J before the match.

I agree with you playing away from Anfield is a blessing right now

Mate, I treated myself to a fat one before the match and I could still feel myself being tense as fuck lol. Palms were sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy and all that shit. But something flipped and I realised that there is nothing wrong in having hope. I mean, Jurgen did tell us to start believing didn't he? What we need to do as fans is to always ensure that our belief is expressed positively. Always.

Offline Sharado

• SAVAGE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #4125 on: February 1, 2019, 07:36:41 AM »
And that is exactly part of the issue for me Jill and why I don't think the fans can be criticised too much, we're sitting watching our side try to regain their rhythm and sharpness in a game that can directly result in us taking advantage of our main compeitors for the title, that in itself is always going to cause some degree of anxiety. Agree 100% the pitch made things difficult, but then that's just another thing that plays into it as people see we aren't moving the ball quickly due to the conditions, see moving it slowly isn't creating chances, see the clock ticking on while we look uncharacteristically shaky at the other end and as a direct result worry that things aren't going our way. That's without even factoring in it feels like the refs against us with his bad decision after bad decision

I'm not saying moan and groan all game and its okay, but I do think the atmosphere was understandable

It doesn't sound harsh at all, it just sounds ridiculously unrealistic because no ones fans do that :lmao

You could sit and tell me you watched that match in its entirety without any sign of anxiety of frustration and i'd call bullshit because I don't reckon any of our fans did, its not that simple to just switch of any emotion or feeling towards the game because youv'e walked into the stadium. There's a multitude of things that were going against us last night and it all fed into it. You can write anything out on a forum and make it seem simple as, but most people don't convey emotion after going through a flowchart in their head of whether displaying frustration is a good choice at this present moment in time and thinking what are the knock on effects of me being frustrated. No one's saying moan and groan constantly but it was a case of what was happening on the field feeding into the emotion through the stands and that feeding back into what was going on during the game on the field.

If its as simple as that you could sit and say whip up a champions league atmosphere every anfield game because 'why would I not try everything I can to help the team win' but inevitably, its not the case

Having been there ok Wednesday I think there's a lot of sense in here. There were a lot of weird circumstances at work, the atmosphere should have been a lot lot better of course but I do think there's a lot of mitigation in here. If you compare it to the previous game against palace when we were behind, and pegged back, the atmosphere was pretty good throughout. I think a lot played into Wednesday, and that Ultimately the same won't happen again.
No heavy-metal football. Uninspiring team selections. Playing like a team closer to relegation worries

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Believer
« Reply #4126 on: February 1, 2019, 07:58:29 AM »
Mate, I treated myself to a fat one before the match and I could still feel myself being tense as fuck lol. Palms were sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy and all that shit. But something flipped and I realised that there is nothing wrong in having hope. I mean, Jurgen did tell us to start believing didn't he? What we need to do as fans is to always ensure that our belief is expressed positively. Always.

Maybe there was something in that joint?  8)
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Believer
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #4127 on: February 1, 2019, 08:10:17 AM »
The Liverpool team were booed off the pitch after going top of the league in Jan. So Anfield being tense far too early in a league challenge season is nothing new. Decades without a title will do that.

Online Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk
  • Believer
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #4128 on: February 1, 2019, 08:35:07 AM »
Having about 4 pints before going into Anfield makes me so much calmer. I took my son to the Palace game, didn't drink a drop and was a quivering mess.

Offline phonic

• Believer
« Reply #4129 on: February 1, 2019, 08:45:54 AM »
If ours and City's last games were the other way around we'd all be feeling really positive however because we missed an opportunity then it feels negative.

I'm not bothered so much by the result as we did increase our lead slightly, but the performance was the worrying aspect. We looked shaky at the back and laboured going forward. I know the pitch didn't help but Leicester sliced through us quickly on a number of occasions so we really should've been able to do the same more than we did.

Hopefully a game away from Anfield where the other team will be a bit more open might allow us to get a bit of confidence back. We need to give someone a hiding; fingers crossed it'll be on Monday.

Online BIG DICK NICK

• is a cushy number for the Plod who work in this largely crime free suburb. Ate two, Brucey. Thread locker extraordinaire. Might answer to Nick CRoxy. Imaginary cock prognosticator. Has experience of being a bit of a twat. VERY well drilled at the back!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4130 on: February 1, 2019, 08:53:56 AM »
I think of the non top six, Palace and Leicester are two of the more dangerous sides to play at home because they are good on the counter. Bournemouth next at home and they can be dangerous too. I think an away game next might not be a bad thing either.

Offline just redk84 will do

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #4131 on: February 1, 2019, 09:12:16 AM »
I think of the non top six, Palace and Leicester are two of the more dangerous sides to play at home because they are good on the counter. Bournemouth next at home and they can be dangerous too. I think an away game next might not be a bad thing either.

Agree with this...was saying on the results comparison thread that of the 5 games we've had in the "2nd half" of the season we've had City away, Arsenal, Palace, Leicester which are 4 pretty tricky games!

Add to that we've had to play two teams with fast counter attackers whilst having issues at right back...

Been harder than it seems but in that block of 5 we've won 3 lost one drew one. 10/15 is not that bad.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #4132 on: February 1, 2019, 09:16:16 AM »
Fully expect Arsenal to roll over and have their belly's tickled this weekend :-(.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Online Jm55

• Would drive you round the bend but his car won't start.
  • Believer
« Reply #4133 on: February 1, 2019, 09:16:58 AM »
Mate, I treated myself to a fat one before the match and I could still feel myself being tense as fuck lol. Palms were sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy and all that shit.

Vomit on your sweater already?

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked.
  • Believer
  • Insert something awesome here!
    • Yorkandbeyond
« Reply #4134 on: February 1, 2019, 09:25:02 AM »
Fully expect Arsenal to roll over and have their belly's tickled this weekend :-(.

While we'd be amazed at a win for them they can nick a draw

Online J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Believer
« Reply #4135 on: February 1, 2019, 09:27:14 AM »
Vomit on your sweater already?

Ye maaaaaaaaaa's spaghetti
My mate asked me if i wanted a ticket "they are fake like" he says, stupid twat

Offline Sharado

• SAVAGE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #4136 on: February 1, 2019, 09:35:36 AM »

Arsenal and Everton are exceptionally unlikely to take anything from their games with city. Arsenal because their defence is paper thin, Everton because they're absolutely shite.
No heavy-metal football. Uninspiring team selections. Playing like a team closer to relegation worries

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #4137 on: February 1, 2019, 09:37:31 AM »
Don't think their defence is up to that, sadly...
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline rafathegaffa

• Believer
  • Bang bang Rosie
    • A few songs...
« Reply #4138 on: February 1, 2019, 09:44:59 AM »
Arsenal and Everton are exceptionally unlikely to take anything from their games with city. Arsenal because their defence is paper thin, Everton because they're absolutely shite.
Yup.
I'd rather play Arsenal every week than Palace or Leicester. City would too.

Offline fucking appalled

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Buck Dancer
« Reply #4139 on: February 1, 2019, 09:51:35 AM »

I feel like it needs repeating that their dropped points have all been in games that people thought they’d walk. I don’t think we should expect them to drop points but I’m honestly not going to be surprised at any points they drop from here.
I fear that if today's performance is not a final straw for Klopp

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #4140 on: February 1, 2019, 09:52:59 AM »

Not so sure about that, I think it just all depends on how disorganised their defence is. If they have learned anything from the game against us, then they should put on a better show. They have every chance to do something because they have the ability to score and cause problems and City are vulnerable at the moment. Of late, City haven't coped well going behind hence the 4 defeats.

If City score a couple early, then most likely they will win at a canter but if not, I can see them becoming tense (like us) like they were on Tuesday and that gives every team with attacking quality a chance.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Believer
« Reply #4141 on: February 1, 2019, 10:09:27 AM »

While it may be taken out of context as Im sure the TV cameras can be selective but to see fans with heads in hands, chewing finger nails or sitting there as if their dog died you do have to wonder what we will be like in three months time. We are big boys and if the worse happens (in terms of a game we watch once or twice a week) and we dont win the title is that going to be the end of the world? Feck no so why not enjoy the moment as we are having a great season. Support with vigour, get your heads up and shout with passion to egg on the lads and at least we can enjoy the piss ups from here on until the hangover kicks in. I really wish the club had a 1000 young lads in a section somewhere just constant;y pushing on the team and other fans to get off their fat asses as the 12th man has been found wanting way too often since the last title was won.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Believer
« Reply #4142 on: February 1, 2019, 10:10:00 AM »

It could well be that the Everton players will be motivated for this as they know that their own fans are desperate for them to loose but the Everton players hate their own fans, so might try their hardest and try to piss them off. However I take your point, they are shite.
« Last Edit: February 1, 2019, 10:13:52 AM by Yosser0_0 »
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Believer
« Reply #4143 on: February 1, 2019, 10:13:11 AM »
Not so sure about that, I think it just all depends on how disorganised their defence is. If they have learned anything from the game against us, then they should put on a better show. They have every chance to do something because they have the ability to score and cause problems and City are vulnerable at the moment. Of late, City haven't coped well going behind hence the 4 defeats.

If City score a couple early, then most likely they will win at a canter but if not, I can see them becoming tense (like us) like they were on Tuesday and that gives every team with attacking quality a chance.

If they press high up the pitch onto the City defence like Newcastle did, they might have success. Arsenal did it to us and Chelsea early in those games and scored goals.

Offline Sharado

• SAVAGE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #4144 on: February 1, 2019, 10:18:22 AM »
I feel like it needs repeating that their dropped points have all been in games that people thought they’d walk. I don’t think we should expect them to drop points but I’m honestly not going to be surprised at any points they drop from here.

If they dropped points to everton I'd have to reconsider everything I thought I knew about the world I'd be that surprised. Is up down? Is black white? The entire universe would feel entirely inverse to me it would be so unlikely to happen.

Offline Petadroli

• Believer
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #4145 on: February 1, 2019, 12:13:45 PM »
I am glad we play on Monday already and for once I am glad we play away. West Ham are no pushovers though and we have to prove once again our resiliency to bounce-back after a disappointing result -  even though I am not that unhappy about this draw vs Leicester, as we have won 4/6 points against them. ManCity can only win 3/6 against them this season and still have to play them again. So we outperformed City in that duel :)

Resilience will be key in the coming weeks. For us it's all about reaching the performance levels that we know will make us extremely hard to beat, knowing that a single goal might be enough for three points once our backline is settled again. For ManCity, it's something they have yet to prove this season. In December they lost three in four games in short succession, now they have lost one they didn't expect and face three good teams within a week. Even though I expect them to win against Arsenal (but only just!), I think they will find the away game at Everton in midweek under the lights much harder than the home match against a Chelsea team in crisis.

Anyway, we as fans can watch them face these challenges pretty relaxed, as we still have a good 5-point cushion and injured players coming back.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline deFacto

• farKnow
  • Believer