539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1469219 times)

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Brexit thread with Lefties, Tories, bloods, wastoids, Dweebs & dickheads.....?
« Reply #13840 on: February 12, 2019, 06:28:30 pm »
Yeah. It's in part inherent to the process and in part a result of May's own choice to claim Brexit as a party political prize, I suppose.

Cooper's latest attempt to offer an alternative now has 13th March as the trigger date. Which is cutting it fine, to put it optimistically.

Link to what she's doing on twitter. Would imagine Grieve or someone will be putting in something to try and force some debate. Absolutely crazy that we're delaying doing this when Parliament is doing the square root of bugger all right now and going home early instead.

The "trigger date" should be amendable.

When's the earliest point that Cooper's bill could become law? I know they have to win time to debate it first but how quickly could it gain Royal Assent?

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
Re: Brexit thread with Lefties, Tories, bloods, wastoids, Dweebs & dickheads.....?
« Reply #13841 on: February 12, 2019, 06:36:39 pm »
The "trigger date" should be amendable.

When's the earliest point that Cooper's bill could become law? I know they have to win time to debate it first but how quickly could it gain Royal Assent?

If it's the same basic framework as last time, then it's intended to go through in a day. So if they're delaying it til end of February (27th?) then some time from 28th into the first week of March.

There are differences from last time to the actual bill. So all that may not be a given. Nikki da Costa is a good follow for detail when it comes.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13842 on: February 12, 2019, 06:46:13 pm »
25. 14 voted for it and 11 abstained (after you discount the 2 deputy speakers and Paul Flynn, who's long-term ill)

With regards to the meaningful vote itself, only 3 Labour MPs voted for it with every other Labour MP able to vote rejecting it.

Even if you take the larger 25 figure, to put it into context, 62 Labour MPs (again, after you discount the deputy speakers) either voted against, or abstained on triggering Article 50. So despite us being a lot of closer to the cliff-edge than we were back in 2017 (to state the obvious), the pro-Brexit rebellions are still paling in comparison.

I do agree that panic over No Deal will be a factor that will lead more than 3 Labour MPs to vote for May's deal, or abstain next time around but I think its effect is being overblown. Being seen to back a "Tory Brexit" generally (and in the context of the membership's enthusiasm for deselection), and even more so after you've failed to get meaningful concessions from the government are powerful reasons to continue to oppose the deal. Plus, if a lot of Tories and the DUP state in advance their intention to vote against the deal as they did last time, and will likely do so again once May finally accepts the backstop isn't changing, there's less incentive for Labour MPs to rebel when they know they're not to going to win even if they do so.

But then what do you do? The Tories could easily say we had a deal and it was Labour MP’s and pro brexit rebels who derailed and caused a no deal. May constantly says if you dont want No Deal then vote for a deal.

Once May takes it to a cliff edge on that last week, there is nothing that can be done. The MP’s know that and I fully sure that when push comes to shove, the Remainers and Labour will bottle it and vote for her deal.

That Huff post article says she accepts the Brexiteers side more but I dont buy that. I think she just wants her deal to go through because she can get Brexit done, not be blamed for disruption and fuck off into the fields of wheat. I think though she has decided that scariing remainers is the best way to do it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:48:48 pm by a treeless whopper »

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13843 on: February 12, 2019, 06:50:23 pm »
I need some hope. When can we expect an amendment to be tabled on a second referendum? As far as I see there are 3 opportunities; this Thursday (probably too soon), in two weeks time when May has promised an amendable motion, or when May comes back with her final offer meaningful vote. I also think that there's a Sarah Wollaston 10 minute rule bill kicking around somewhere.

I know that the strategy is wait until all other options are eliminated, which seems like a decent enough plan, especially as Labour seem to have run out of road. Perhaps it's going to take someone like Starmer just taking control of the narrative. Perhaps it really will go down to the point of May's final deal facing defeat and a referendum being the only other option to no deal.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13844 on: February 12, 2019, 06:53:12 pm »
I need some hope. When can we expect an amendment to be tabled on a second referendum? As far as I see there are 3 opportunities; this Thursday (probably too soon), in two weeks time when May has promised an amendable motion, or when May comes back with her final offer meaningful vote. I also think that there's a Sarah Wollaston 10 minute rule bill kicking around somewhere.

I know that the strategy is wait until all other options are eliminated, which seems like a decent enough plan, especially as Labour seem to have run out of road. Perhaps it's going to take someone like Starmer just taking control of the narrative. Perhaps it really will go down to the point of May's final deal facing defeat and a referendum being the only other option to no deal.

If May takes it to the end, then how the hell is a second referendum possible? It would basically take a majority in parliament to agree to it, last minute. Surely thats far too late to get people to sign up to that?

At the moment there is more people who would vote through a no deal.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13845 on: February 12, 2019, 06:53:45 pm »
She is playing with people's lives and the country's future, all for her own ego. And it's a lose-lose game - even her 'lesser evil' is still very evil. I hope she rots in hell.  :wanker

And I'm not even religious ;D

When there is no political will to cancel A50, or even call a second referendum, what options are left?  The entirety of parliament just has no balls on this issue.  May will drive this through in a way that tries to ensure her party doesn't disintegrate; fuck knows what Corbyn has planned.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13846 on: February 12, 2019, 06:54:35 pm »
But then what do you do? The Tories could easily say we had a deal and it was Labour MP’s and pro brexit rebels who derailed and caused a no deal. May constantly says if you dont want No Deal then vote for a deal.

Once May takes it to a cliff edge on that last week, there is nothing that can be done.

There are alternatives that the Labour rebels are refusing to take. Back an extension to Article 50; be willing to stand up their your constituents and back another referendum. That would in turn place more pressure on the Labour leadership to officially support a 2nd referendum, as they'd be no longer able to hide behind the "Northern heartlands"/"it will split the party" excuses.

The likes of Nandy, Del Piero, Flint etc like to play the victim and pretend they have no choice, but they do.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13847 on: February 12, 2019, 06:57:40 pm »
Some details emerging of a new Cooper amendment.

Yvette Cooper unveils new plan to allow MPs to block no-deal Brexit

The Labour MP Yvette Cooper has published details of her latest plan to ensure that MPs get the chance to vote to rule out a no-deal Brexit. Here are the key points.

Cooper says she will press for a vote on an amendment creating time for her bill on Wednesday 27 February, if Theresa May has not passed a deal by then. That means 27 February is the next crunch deadline for the PM. Tory pro-Europeans who have not rebelled on this issue yet are hinting that they will rebel then to vote for the Cooper plan.
Cooper and her allies are not proposing a vote this week on an amendment creating time for a bill designed to rule out a no-deal Brexit.

The new Cooper bill would give May until Wednesday 13 March to get a deal through parliament. Assuming the bill passes through parliament (a big if, given the difficulty it might have in the Lords, where bills cannot be rushed through), if the PM has not got a deal through parliament by 13 March, MPs would either have to vote to agree a no-deal Brexit - or else they would have to vote to require the PM to seek an extension of article 50.
It would be up to the government to decide how long the article 50 extension it would request would be. (Cooper’s previous bill on this specified a nine-month extension.)

Cooper is proposing the amendment and the bill with the Conservative MP Sir Oliver Letwin.
Caroline Spelman, the Conservative MP who tabled the non-binding amendment rejecting a no-deal Brexit that was passed by MPs two weeks ago, has said she will back the bill. She did not vote for the Cooper amendment two weeks ago and her endorsement is significant because it suggests Cooper’s new amendment will get wider Tory support than her previous one, which was backed by 17 Tories.

The original Cooper bill said that May should be given until Tuesday 26 February to pass a Brexit deal, and that if she did not get one through the Commons by then, at that point she should be obliged to seek an extension of article 50. The amendment that would have created time for that bill to be passed was defeated two weeks ago by 23 votes. This bill would create a new deadline, 15 days later than the one in the original bill.

In a statement Cooper said;

This bill would require the prime minister and parliament to take crucial decisions by the middle of March at the very latest on whether the UK is leaving with a deal, without a deal or seeking an extension to article 50.

It forces the prime minister to tell us whether she wants to leave with no deal or to extend article 50 if she still hasn’t got a deal in place by the middle of March. This bill creates a parliamentary safeguard to prevent us drifting into no deal by accident, and to prevent those crucial decisions being left until the final fortnight. The risks to jobs, the NHS and security from no deal are too great for us to stand back and let the government drift.

The prime minister needs to get a workable deal in place quickly and she has asked for more time. But there is a real danger of endless drift so if she can’t get a deal in place by 26th February, our cross party group will put forward this bill at that point to ensure that crucial decisions are made by the middle of March. That is the latest timetable to get the bill through the parliamentary process in time for decisions to be made in March.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13848 on: February 12, 2019, 06:59:49 pm »
There are alternatives that the Labour rebels are refusing to take. Back an extension to Article 50; be willing to stand up their your constituents and back another referendum. That would in turn place more pressure on the Labour leadership to officially support a 2nd referendum, as they'd be no longer able to hide behind the "Northern heartlands"/"it will split the party" excuses.

The likes of Nandy, Del Piero, Flint etc like to play the victim and pretend they have no choice, but they do.

Indeed. But just like the Tory cabinet Remainers, their bark is much louder than their bite.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13849 on: February 12, 2019, 07:00:43 pm »
Some details emerging of a new Cooper amendment.

Yvette Cooper unveils new plan to allow MPs to block no-deal Brexit

The Labour MP Yvette Cooper has published details of her latest plan to ensure that MPs get the chance to vote to rule out a no-deal Brexit. Here are the key points.

Cooper says she will press for a vote on an amendment creating time for her bill on Wednesday 27 February, if Theresa May has not passed a deal by then. That means 27 February is the next crunch deadline for the PM. Tory pro-Europeans who have not rebelled on this issue yet are hinting that they will rebel then to vote for the Cooper plan.
Cooper and her allies are not proposing a vote this week on an amendment creating time for a bill designed to rule out a no-deal Brexit.

Ridiculous.

Offline Devon Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13850 on: February 12, 2019, 07:04:37 pm »
If May takes it to the end, then how the hell is a second referendum possible? It would basically take a majority in parliament to agree to it, last minute. Surely thats far too late to get people to sign up to that?

At the moment there is more people who would vote through a no deal.

It's a balancing act, convincing enough MPs that their particular preferred Brexit can't happen by taking it down to the last moment, but not so late that the practicalities make it impossible. It would have to be paired with an extension of article 50 of course, so perhaps Coopers amendment helps.

I don't agree that there are more MPs who would vote for no deal than a second referendum, even by your low estimation of MPs I think that's pushing it.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #13851 on: February 12, 2019, 07:16:41 pm »
ITV reporter earwigging conversations.

But during that conversation Olly Robbins said that, in his view, he expects the choice for MPs to be either backing May’s deal or extending talks with the EU.

He expects MPs in March to be presented with backing a reworked Brexit deal or a potentially significant delay to Brexit, he told colleagues last night.

“The issue is whether Brussels is clear on the terms of extension,” he was overheard saying. “In the end they will probably just give us an extension.”

This is significant. The prime minister has consistently said that we are leaving the EU on March 29th and that she will not engage with discussion about delaying our departure.

We now know her chief negotiator – who works directly for her – appears to be expecting a delay. A delay which she has always said was an option that was not on the table.

Robbins added that he thought the fear of a long extension to Article 50 might focus MPs' minds.

He suggested: “... Got to make them believe that the week beginning end of March... Extension is possible but if they don’t vote for the deal then the extension is a long one...”

On the backstop, Robbins outlined a strategy to satisfy Theresa May's backbenchers, saying the European Commission would need to agree that the word “necessary” in the Northern Ireland protocol is defined as “necessary subject to the future trade deal”.

At the moment the text of the document says the backstop must “maintain the necessary conditions” for North-South cooperation under the Good Friday Agreement.

It appears that Robbins and the prime minister want the Withdrawal Agreement amended so that the Good Friday Agreement would be less of an obstacle to the backstop being superseded by a new long-term trading relationship between the UK and EU.

What is also striking is how Robbins confirmed that the original plan was for the backstop, which would keep the UK in the customs union, was designed not as a "safety net" for the island of Ireland but as "a bridge" to the long-term trading relationship - which is something the prime minister has always denied.

“The big clash all along is the ‘safety net’,” Robbins said. “We agreed a bridge but it came out as a ‘safety net’.”

These remarks by Robbins are explosive, because they will confirm the fears of Tory Brexiters that he and May always saw some form of customs union membership as the long term ambition for the UK's trading relationship with the EU.

Had it stayed as a ‘bridge’ into a customs union that might have lessened Labour opposition to the deal.

He explained that the current talks in Brussels need to find a ‘way out’ for those who see the backstop as a “trap”.

ITV
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13852 on: February 12, 2019, 07:19:34 pm »
I am totally with you on the referendum being meaningless to the extent that it was never a binary choice when you don`t know what one option means. We will just have to agree to disagree on her ego and it being all about her.

I have no doubt that history will see the outcome of the referendum and the ensuing chaos as being a colossal mistake.

She knows what is going to happen, she knows 51 million people are being sold down the river (fuck the leavers now) and she is supposed to be jacking after it - it cannot be anything but ego. If she gave that much of a shit, she'd make sure this was all stopped - the interference in the referendum is enough grounds to declare it null and void.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13853 on: February 12, 2019, 07:20:18 pm »
There's quite the contradiction in May's promise of "no regression" of workers rights.

Given that both sides agree that we do not ever want to use the backstop and that if we did so it would be temporary, we believe it is reasonable to ask for legally binding changes to that effect.

We have already made legally binding commitments to no regression in these areas if we were to enter the backstop, and we are prepared to consider legislating to give these commitments force in UK law.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2019-02-12/debates/F97FBC77-3E4E-4284-B693-094FB427F4AF/LeavingTheEU

Not to mention that the deal will struggle to pass anyway, even said backstop is in it and/or unchanged.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13855 on: February 12, 2019, 08:06:35 pm »
Is Wickham that Breitbart/Order Order wanker?
yes

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13856 on: February 12, 2019, 09:03:05 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_Z_aax7_QkY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_Z_aax7_QkY</a>

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #13857 on: February 12, 2019, 09:32:36 pm »

May knows exactly the strength of the spine of the MPs, regardless of party. She expects them to cave, and she's probably right. Just like time was on EUs side in the negotiations with the UK, it's now on May's side. Corbyn doesn't have any influence, nor does he want it.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13858 on: February 12, 2019, 10:36:22 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_Z_aax7_QkY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_Z_aax7_QkY</a>

I enjoyed that documentary.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13859 on: February 12, 2019, 10:43:03 pm »
A close friend of mine has said pretty much the same thing. He doesn`t have any time for the tories or May, but thinks that she is playing a great game of poker that she will eventually win.

I think it is about when remainers accepting that a second vote almost certainly isn`t going to happen now and then look at their least worst options of what is left, and that would be the May deal.

I personally don`t have much time for her, but on this issue she was always in the impossible position of never being able to please anyone and politically it is the ultimate poisoned chalice. The way Labour and Corbyn have dealt with it shows you how poisoned it is.
We were talking about this a few months back, how many people have a lot of sympathy for Mays position, she can't please everyone, shes in a no win situation whatever she does.
Shes definitely played a blinder if she manages to come out of Brexit with the sympathy and admiration of millions.
May put the country in the position it is today, Brexit never needed to be like this.
May laid down impossible red lines that made a no deal a certainty. she made Brexit into a party policy issue by making impossible promises. she was irresponsible forcing Art 50 through so quickly.
If she never intended to drop any of her red lines then why didn't we plan for a no deal 2 yrs ago.
I think she fully expected the EU to cave in, even now she's asking our MPs to hold their nerve, she still thinks the EU will cave in.
A 2 yr transition is important but we will not be signing any deals in 2-3yrs time. May is kicking the can down the road for another 2 yrs, she's taking us out under a false sense of security and passing the s,, show onto the next mug PM. the sh.. show she created with her red lines,
Chris Bryant

It feels as if the major from Fawlty Towers has taken over the Tory campaign.
10:42 PM · May 25, 2024
·

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13860 on: February 13, 2019, 12:03:25 am »
Ben Bradshaw calling on the HoC to back a referendum, and pointing out the failures on both sides of the house. If you ever doubted that Corbyn is deliberately ignoring the party's own policy, catch his response at the end of the clip.

https://twitter.com/peoplesvote_uk/status/1095362325710815232
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13861 on: February 13, 2019, 12:04:59 am »

Am shocked our MPs think they can get away with this, am shocked Corbyn seems to think all the Brexit issue will end when we leave next month.
We will want serious problems solved, there is no way to solve these problems, many can only be solved by being members of the EU,many can only be solved with co-operation agreements and trade deals. trade deal not going to happen for aprox, 7yrs.
I wouldn't mind but it's obvious what Frottage and ERG will do, they will argue our government should have respected the result of the referendum and prepared for a no deal 2 yrs ago. bol.. they are saying a no deal is nothing to fear now while knowing were not prepared.
If Brexit is stopped and we end up staying within the EU, there will be some short-term trouble, and political upheaval (only amounting to endless grumbling, really) for years to come. However, if we go through with Brexit, I am in little doubt that the trouble (I mean violence, huge increases in theft and rioting) will be orders of magnitude greater. With a No-Deal Brexit, I can even envisage martial law being imposed - I think the situation would be that serious. And, as I have already written, I expect that the majority of those involved in such acts of violence, theft and rioting will have voted Leave.

My reasoning is that most of those who voted for Leave did not do it out of (misguided) principle. No, they feel neglected and abused by the EU (because right-wing politicians (and media) have told them this for decades - scapegoating their own failures); this is why most of them voted Leave. Yes, racism too, but that mostly comes out of their feeling put-upon by the 'evil EU' and other foreigners. They are deeply ignorant (in the true sense of the word) of the reasons for their plight. When they realise that they have been duped and lied to (most are not actually totally stupid), their anger will know few bounds. I try to put myself in their position: if I had trusted the 'leadership' of those responsible for Brexit, where I have little, and I end up with even less, and then realise (when it is too late) that I had been betrayed, used and abused - I'd be fucking furious. I likely would fail at any introspection (because that's the way I roll anyway), and place all the blame on those who lead. There will be millions of people feeling like this. We do not need to even consider what the backlash from Remainers will look like. Forget about the fanatical, delusional Leaver ideologues (of which there are certainly plenty): I am in little doubt that the majority of Leavers are fickle creatures and will primarily react based upon their personal, further impoverished circumstances.

I've written before that I am against May's WA. This remains my position. It is a shit deal, but the idea that we should acquiesce because of the threat of No-Deal is no better than the appeasement offered by Chamberlain (if Leavers are going to invoke WWII rhetoric and memes, I see no reason why we cannot too). Although leaving with No-Deal is undoubtedly insane, I am not convinced that it will be worse (in the round - in the longer run) than the slower but protracted version that is May's Withdrawal Agreement. If we return to the EU with our tail between our legs (and I admit there is some risk of this not occurring), as only associate members (no voting powers' mind), it will have taught this country a very important lesson.

I think the calculation from many MPs is that they cannot risk the backlash from Brexiteers if we do not leave. It will be a beautiful irony if it is those very same Brexiteer voters who tear up everything in furious retaliation, taking to the streets to demand the heads of all politicians who either voted for Brexit or did nothing to stop it.

To save any confusion about my views and preferences, I wish to make clear that what I think should happen is retraction of A50. Or failing that, a new referendum with Remain on the ticket. I am in no sense routing for No-Deal just because I am against the WA. I am not digging for any of this; I just fear it. Though, just not quite enough to acquiesce to May's threats of No-Deal chaos.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 10:28:15 am by Jiminy Cricket »
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #13862 on: February 13, 2019, 12:18:34 am »
Ben Bradshaw calling on the HoC to back a referendum, and pointing out the failures on both sides of the house. If you ever doubted that Corbyn is deliberately ignoring the party's own policy, catch his response at the end of the clip.

Or as Al would so eloquently put it, he’s a c*nt.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13863 on: February 13, 2019, 01:08:19 am »
If Brexit is stopped and we end up staying within the EU, there will be some short-term trouble, and political upheaval (only amounting to endless grumbling, really) for years to come. However, if we go through with Brexit, I am in little doubt that the trouble (I mean violence, huge increases in theft and rioting) will be orders of magnitude greater. With a No-Deal Brexit, I can even envisage martial law being imposed - I think the situation would be that serious. And, as I have already written, I expect that the majority of those involved in such acts of violence, theft and rioting will have voted Leave.

My reasoning is that most of those who voted for Leave did not do it out of (misguided) principle. No, they feel neglected and abused by the EU (because right-wing politicians (and media) have told them this for decades - scapegoating their own failures); this is why most of them voted Leave. Yes, racism too, but that mostly comes out of their feeling put-upon by the 'evil EU' and other foreigners. They are deeply ignorant (in the true sense of the word) of the reasons for their plight. When they realise that they have been duped and lied to (most are not actually totally stupid), their anger will know few bounds. I try to put myself in their position: if I had trusted the 'leadership' of those responsible for Brexit, where I have little, and I end up with even less, and then realise (when it is too late) that I had been betrayed, used and abused - I'd be fucking furious. I likely would fail at any introspection (because that's the way I roll anyway), and place all the blame on those who lead. There will be millions of people feeling like this. We do not need to even consider what the backlash from Remainers will look like. Forget about the fanatical, delusional Remainer ideologues (of which there are certainly plenty): I am in little doubt that the majority of Leavers are fickle creatures and will primarily react based upon their personal, further impoverished circumstances.

I've written before that I am against May's WA. This remains my position. It is a shit deal, but the idea that we should acquiesce because of the threat of No-Deal is no better than the appeasement offered by Chamberlain (if Leavers are going to invoke WWII rhetoric and memes, I see no reason why we cannot too). Although leaving with No-Deal is undoubtedly insane, I am not convinced that it will be worse (in the round - in the longer run) than the slower but protracted version that is May's Withdrawal Agreement. If we return to the EU with our tail between our legs (and I admit there is some risk of this not occurring), as only associate members (not voting powers mind), it will have taught this country a very important lessen.

I think the calculation from many MPs is that they cannot risk the backlash from Brexiteers if we do not leave. It will be a beautiful irony if it is those very same Brexiteer voters who tear up everything in furious retaliation, taking to the streets to demand the heads of all politicians who either voted for Brexit or did nothing to stop it.

To save any confusion about my views and preferences, I wish to make clear that what I think should happen is retraction of A50. Or failing that, a new referendum with Remain on the ticket. I am in no sense routing for No-Deal just because I am against the WA. I am not digging for any of this; I just fear it. Though, just not quite enough to acquiesce to May's threats of No-Deal chaos.
Roughly the same opinion as myself. no deal is a disaster, we are being threatened with a disaster to cover Mays arse. thing is what has May actually achieved in 2 yrs of negotations, she caved in on the first phase of talks and kicked the WA down the road to the next phase.
We are now about to sell Ireland out as the only solution is for NI to remain in SM+CU and a sea border.
So the question is when does the s,, really hit the fan, March 2019 or March 2021.
A free trade deal will take at least 6yrs, no customs deal means tariffs on all goods from the EU and rest of world, it means chaos at our ports, not to mention all the co-operation agreements like open skies.
Leave have argued a no deal is nothing to fear, all the scaremongering is absurd.
They will be reminded when they try to blame the EU etc when chaos hits.
When people loose jobs and inflation hits, imo. inflation will upset millions of gammons, they were promised there would be no tariffs, tariffs have brought about inflation, it's wiping out the value of their pension. the same applies to the low paid and unemployed of course, the ones who belived they had nothing to loose voting leave. then there millions who just want the chaos to end, yet there are no solutions as it will take years to solve some of some of these problems but we will never solve the important ones as it would re joining the EU, I also agree about the public taking to the streets, they were promised this chaos was scaremongering and project fear.
I don't think our politicians fear riots, Labour politicians fear having to face a few angry red faced gammons in their face giving them grief over not respecting democracy.
Tory politicians are in a more difficult situation as most Tory voters support Brexit.
Either way, they don't fear riots.
It's hard to believe but like it or not the most left wing leaders ideology is going to protect the Tory party from loosing millions of Tory voters at the expense of the Labour party loosing millions of Labour voters.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 01:09:50 am by oldfordie »
Chris Bryant

It feels as if the major from Fawlty Towers has taken over the Tory campaign.
10:42 PM · May 25, 2024
·

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #13864 on: February 13, 2019, 04:15:17 am »
A close friend of mine has said pretty much the same thing. He doesn`t have any time for the tories or May, but thinks that she is playing a great game of poker that she will eventually win.

I think it is about when remainers accepting that a second vote almost certainly isn`t going to happen now and then look at their least worst options of what is left, and that would be the May deal.

I personally don`t have much time for her, but on this issue she was always in the impossible position of never being able to please anyone and politically it is the ultimate poisoned chalice. The way Labour and Corbyn have dealt with it shows you how poisoned it is.
You've been played like a fiddle and done up like a kipper if you think she's been put into an 'impossible position' or been handed a 'poisoned chalice'. Every single thing about her current position is entirely of her own making. She could easily have made things very different by taking different decisions and different stances; she could have made this a safe and potable chalice to drink from.

There is nothing to feel sorry for her about, nothing to admire about her. Do not waste a single atom of sympathy on her. She is entirely responsible for every fetid droplet of the shitshow she has created. That Corbyn and others have aided her in this doesn't take anything away from her complete culpability.

She is insane and despicable.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13865 on: February 13, 2019, 08:35:55 am »

That's classic sixth form politician, that look the c*nt gives at the end. Coincidentally his sixth form years (before choosing to drop out and rely on his silver spoon) are probably about the time he last paused to think about politics, before becoming an embarrassing and predictable trope of a regressive left ideologue.

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #13866 on: February 13, 2019, 08:53:06 am »
Jiminy I fear you are optimistic. I think that people gullible enough to believe Leaves’ bullshit promises are also gullible enough to swallow “stabbed-in-the-back-by-remoaners” type conspiracy shite as well.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #13867 on: February 13, 2019, 08:55:47 am »
There’ll be no riots.  The bbc has this piece today on the Spanish ex-pats, featuring an actual live ‘I didn’t think voting Leave would change anything for me’ voter.  No rancour, no bitterness at having her life wrecked - more like just an acceptance that that’s what the herd’s decided so we’ve go to get on with it haven’t we.

I don’t understand it.  It’s like the English are still peasants at heart, waiting for the Master to shift them round the estate as he sees fit.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13868 on: February 13, 2019, 09:01:10 am »
There’ll be no riots.  The bbc has this piece today on the Spanish ex-pats, featuring an actual live ‘I didn’t think voting Leave would change anything for me’ voter.  No rancour, no bitterness at having her life wrecked - more like just an acceptance that that’s what the herd’s decided so we’ve go to get on with it haven’t we.

I don’t understand it.  It’s like the English are still peasants at heart, waiting for the Master to shift them round the estate as he sees fit.

Ha, that is hilarious. Tough shit for them.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #13869 on: February 13, 2019, 09:15:50 am »
Can't get my head around someone retiring to Spain, spending years enjoying the benefits of that country, all possible due to EU membership, and then voting to leave the EU. There's nothing else to call it except mind-numbingly stupid.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #13870 on: February 13, 2019, 09:44:47 am »
I had a similar conversation to the above with an old colleague of mine who I recently bumped into again. He's a typical middle class bloke in his early 60's who obviously voted Brexit. We clashed a lot during the lead to the referendum as he knew I was very Pro-EU. Anyway he's close to retirement age and said he wanted to retire to Greece!! I was quite literally (and I mean literally) speechless

It's beyond belief.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13871 on: February 13, 2019, 10:11:06 am »
You've been played like a fiddle and done up like a kipper if you think she's been put into an 'impossible position' or been handed a 'poisoned chalice'. Every single thing about her current position is entirely of her own making. She could easily have made things very different by taking different decisions and different stances; she could have made this a safe and potable chalice to drink from.

There is nothing to feel sorry for her about, nothing to admire about her. Do not waste a single atom of sympathy on her. She is entirely responsible for every fetid droplet of the shitshow she has created. That Corbyn and others have aided her in this doesn't take anything away from her complete culpability.

She is insane and despicable.
I could not agree more. When I returned to the UK 6 months ago, I was surprised to hear very similar comments from a couple of old freinds. It made no sense to me then; and it makes no sense to me now.Thersa May has chosen to be PM; she decided upon her red lines; and she chose to make it an uninclusive process. May bears responsibility for all the difficulties she now faces.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #13872 on: February 13, 2019, 10:35:46 am »
From Stephen Bush's Morning Call e-mail today. (No link sorry)

Good morning. As bad as your morning may be going, it could be worse: you could be Olly Robbins, Theresa May's top Brexit official. Robbins was overheard gossiping in a Brussels hotel bar with his fellow officials about Brexit, the Cabinet and how the Brexit crisis is going to play out by ITV's Angus Walker.

The highlights: the description of the Irish border protocol as a "bridge" into the final EU-UK relationship and Robbins' claim that MPs will ultimately face a choice between voting for May's deal or a delay to Brexit.

While Robbins, who worked with May when she was at the Home Office before becoming her top Brexit official, is one of the few who works closely with May, I wouldn't read too much into his thoughts about what will happen in the future. Policy-wise, the important part is that description of the backstop, which will put the backs up both Brexiteers and European diplomats. Brexiteers don't like it because they regard the backstop as a customs union by another name and fear that it means too close a relationship with the EU after Brexit. European diplomats dislike the backstop because it represents a large enough hole in the sanctity of the single market as it is and turning it into a enduring EU-UK free trade agreement would turn it from a necessary evil to a permanent pain in the neck.

Closer to home, the most important immediate part will be Robbins' belief  that the Article 50 process will be extended if MPs do not agree to back May's withdrawal agreement.

It further increases the chances that Yvette Cooper's amendment to seek an extension for Article 50 to prevent a no deal Brexit will be defeated when it returns to the Commons on 27 February. What killed off that amendment was that 24 Labour MPs broke the party whip to vote against or abstain on Cooper's amendment, while just 17 Conservative MPs went the opposite way, with many privately supportive Tory MPs opting to keep their heads down and vote with the government.

Both Labour rebels and Conservative loyalist had the same rationale: Theresa May is going to seek an extension, so why should I take the political pain with my Leave-voting constituents/Brexit-loving party members for something that's going to happen anyway?

They will look at Robbins' remarks and think that they had the right idea when they voted down Cooper 1 and they'll likely stay the course and vote down Cooper 2.0.

But in their shoes, I wouldn't put too much store in Robbins' prediction: we all gab off with our colleagues about what our bosses do and what they'll end up doing in the future over a drink from time to time, and sometimes we're right and sometimes we're wrong.

It speaks to the biggest reason that a no deal exit might happen: almost everyone is convinced that when push comes to shove, a no deal scenario is so catastrophic that someone will take political damage to prevent it. Up until the point where a majority of MPs are ready to say "and that someone is me", the chance of a no deal exit remains very real.

Punters think Brexit will effect someone else, politicians think Brexit will damage their political opponents, no incentive to actively compromise around a workable solution, so 'no deal' a far bigger likelihood than is currently priced in? There may not be enough adults in Parliament.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #13873 on: February 13, 2019, 10:39:39 am »
I had a similar conversation to the above with an old colleague of mine who I recently bumped into again. He's a typical middle class bloke in his early 60's who obviously voted Brexit. We clashed a lot during the lead to the referendum as he knew I was very Pro-EU. Anyway he's close to retirement age and said he wanted to retire to Greece!! I was quite literally (and I mean literally) speechless

It's beyond belief.

He's British so he'd be an expat, not a migrant. Huge difference......

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #13874 on: February 13, 2019, 10:41:45 am »
From Stephen Bush's Morning Call e-mail today. (No link sorry)

Punters think Brexit will effect someone else, politicians think Brexit will damage their political opponents, no incentive to actively compromise around a workable solution, so 'no deal' a far bigger likelihood than is currently priced in? There may not be enough adults in Parliament.

Feels more and more like 1914 with each passing day......

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #13875 on: February 13, 2019, 10:52:19 am »
Can't get my head around someone retiring to Spain, spending years enjoying the benefits of that country, all possible due to EU membership, and then voting to leave the EU. There's nothing else to call it except mind-numbingly stupid.

It's the old British exceptionalism. My ex-brother in law got very upset a few years back when he was planning to move to Spain and set up a bar. I asked him what he thought the Spanish felt about immigrants like him going over there and taking their jobs.

It never crossed his mind that people might think of the British like that. He was English and 'we won the war' so they should all be grateful.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13876 on: February 13, 2019, 11:02:45 am »
It's the old British exceptionalism. My ex-brother in law got very upset a few years back when he was planning to move to Spain and set up a bar. I asked him what he thought the Spanish felt about immigrants like him going over there and taking their jobs.

It never crossed his mind that people might think of the British like that. He was English and 'we won the war' so they should all be grateful.

And we did it all on our own  ::)

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #13877 on: February 13, 2019, 11:26:35 am »

21st/22nd of March seems like when the EU and May will publicly announce they've agreed something about regular reviews of the backstop were it to come into force. Should be quite the last week of March.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13878 on: February 13, 2019, 11:36:07 am »

Contradictory opinions are not confined to the British. I was at a Spanish University last year and got talking to a Portuguese woman doing the same Spanish language course. She had married a Brit and lived in Bristol. She'd voted leave because she didn't want 'all those immigrants coming over and taking our jobs.'
As delusion seems to be a major part of Brexiteer thinking, I guess we should not be surprised.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #13879 on: February 13, 2019, 12:02:53 pm »

Hope yorkykopite is taking copious notes for his next screenplay.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75