Author Topic: UEFA Champions League. Klopp's got a semi  (Read 324279 times)

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
Re: UEFA Champions League. LFC in last sixteen.
« Reply #1880 on: December 13, 2018, 09:07:17 am »
https://draw.inker.fun/#/cl/ko

I got -

Roma v Man City
Lyon v Dortmund
Schalke v Barcelona
Liverpool v Real Madrid
Tottenham v Porto
Ajax v Juventus
Atlético v Bayern
Man United v Paris

That’s pretty cool draw simulator. Fyi Liverpool got Barca. We were first out of the hat

As for reality... no team jumps out and you think oh no, not them... they’ve all got a defeat in them
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Lazy Gun

• Anny Roader
  • My wife, Jurgena.
« Reply #1881 on: December 13, 2018, 09:22:00 am »
Real may suck just now, but they always seem to dramatically improve for the CL KO stages.. that, and they are bunch of diving cheating bastards. 
Porto or Bayern please.
Believer

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1882 on: December 13, 2018, 09:34:28 am »
Bayern please. Super Cup aside, can't recall ever playing them in my lifetime, and they're a shadow of their former selves. I don't think they've got the legs to cope with our pressing if we're on it.

Avoid Juve & Barca and we'll have done well though.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 09:36:09 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #1883 on: December 13, 2018, 09:40:21 am »
I'd fucking love Real. Im sure every one of our players would love them too. Especially over two legs and not because they may not be the same level as years gone by, but purely for the CL final. Imagine the atmosphere before that home leg and during the match, Imagine Mo in that game at Anfield...  :o ::)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 09:41:59 am by Flaccid Bobby Fowler »

Offline Larse

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1884 on: December 13, 2018, 10:06:11 am »
Bayern for different reasons.

1. Dont think we have played them in UCL yet, at least I can't remember
2. Its not to far away from me and I might get tickets for the Munich leg .
 3. I think we would comfortably beat them. They couldn't even handle Ajax offensive speed, don't know how they are supposed to handle our front three.
4. Big game for Klopp, playing against his former rival  (and big game for Shaq as well

Real for QF please.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:07:43 am by Larse »

Offline roots99

• Main Stander
« Reply #1885 on: December 13, 2018, 10:12:51 am »
Went up to 14th for now but United might surpass us. No matter, we'll catch up in the spring. 

Making up a 20 point deficit to get into the first pot is a big ask though, I don't think it will happen this year even if we go all the way.

This site is much better than the UEFA one: https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method5/trank2019.html
It updates almost immediately and is much better explained.

It's unlikely LFC will be in pot 3 next year in my opinion. PSG, Juve, Porto, Barcelona/Atleti/Sevilla/Madrid, BVB/Munich will provide 5 of 6 pot 1 league winners -- they are all in the top 13 above us. The CL champs, and maybe the Europa champs, will also be a high ranked team.

Take those out and Liverpool are already in pot 2. City or Liverpool to claim Eng's pot 1 place. If City, that's another team gone and Liverpool move up again.

We'll probably overtake Shaktar (a point away) unless they go v deep in the Europa and we don't in the CL - another place. Arsenal/Roma might not be in the competition - more places.

Plus there are only a few threats from behind.
United are close but look set not to qualify. Chelsea and Napoli would have to go very deep in the Europa while Liverpool fall early. Spurs are not too far away.

All in all, it would take a pretty unlikely set of results for LFC to be in pot 3 again. Getting rid of the 13/14 season has really helped. 
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in." - Bill Shankly

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #1886 on: December 13, 2018, 10:14:05 am »
Want Madrid...

Or Bayern would be good otherwise
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1887 on: December 13, 2018, 10:16:55 am »
I want the weakest team left in it as it probably gives us more chance of getting through.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #1888 on: December 13, 2018, 11:07:30 am »
Porto, Real, Bayern, Dortmund, Juventus, Barcelona.

In that order.

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1889 on: December 13, 2018, 11:30:00 am »
I want the weakest team left in it as it probably gives us more chance of getting through.

Can't get Man Utd this round unfortunately.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #1890 on: December 13, 2018, 11:30:15 am »
just tried the draw simulator above and we got a reunion with Juve, United got PSG spurs got Dortmund

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #1891 on: December 13, 2018, 11:31:05 am »
Can't get Man Utd this round unfortunately.
:)
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline v2krules

• Main Stander
« Reply #1892 on: December 13, 2018, 11:32:21 am »
So, both City and Atleti nuke each other out in the round of 16, no one goes through?

Yes if it's possible :) . I cound't decide that game. Both are strong and just as likely to go through. So didn't bold either

Porto, Real, Bayern, Dortmund, Juventus, Barcelona.

I don't think people are watching Barcelona play. Their general game play is very slow and poor. Attack has no direction. The only thing making them threatening is their individual brilliance and they have 4 of them who could change the game any moment (Messi, Suarez, Coutinho, DEmbele). Good as they are I wouldn't put them ahead of Juventus.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 11:33:59 am by v2krules »

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1893 on: December 13, 2018, 11:36:09 am »
Weakest please. Which I see in order as:

Porto
Bayern
Madrid
Dortmund
Barca/Juve.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1894 on: December 13, 2018, 11:40:10 am »
Atleti, Lyon and Roma for City, Spurs and United.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1895 on: December 13, 2018, 11:51:49 am »

United and Spurs both finished second so that’s not possible.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1896 on: December 13, 2018, 11:53:02 am »

Spurs and United finished runners up so its similar to ours save for Juventus and Barca?

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1897 on: December 13, 2018, 03:00:44 pm »
Doesn't really matter who we get, because whether we get to the quarter finals will depend on us, not the other team.

If we play like we did against Napoli and PSG at home, we will have a good chance of progressing, regardless of the opposition.

And if we play like we did against Napoli and Belgrade away, we will most likely get kicked out.

That's why I'm not really a fan of these  "Oh my gosh, I hope we avoid (insert name of European club here)" sentiments. It makes us seem nervous and afraid. 

The reason Real win it every year, even though they aren't all that good, is because they fear no-one. They stay cool let the opposition beat themselves.  As we did to ourselves in Kiev. I despise them, but I do admire that quality they have. We were the same in our heyday.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 03:10:53 pm by FLRed67 »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1898 on: December 13, 2018, 03:24:11 pm »
Doesn't really matter who we get, because whether we get to the quarter finals will depend on us, not the other team.

If we play like we did against Napoli and PSG at home, we will have a good chance of progressing, regardless of the opposition.

And if we play like we did against Napoli and Belgrade away, we will most likely get kicked out.

That's why I'm not really a fan of these  "Oh my gosh, I hope we avoid (insert name of European club here)" sentiments. It makes us seem nervous and afraid. 

The reason Real win it every year, even though they aren't all that good, is because they fear no-one. They stay cool let the opposition beat themselves.  As we did to ourselves in Kiev. I despise them, but I do admire that quality they have. We were the same in our heyday.

You need some luck along the way, for all their quality experience etc... we gifted them two goals and had our best two players injured [Salah and Ox]

I am not concerned about the away performances, they happened for various reasons imo, I trust in the manager and the players to rectify that going forward, as they other issues in the past.

It's logicial to want the lesser sides first so we have a better chance to go further, no Liverpool supporter is deluded to think that we won't face top class opoosition, you think we look nervous? Have you seen us at Anfield? Why would the atmosphere at Anfield be so crucial and important if we didn't believe in us? There's a reason sides shite themselves when they come to play us, it doesn't mean we will win every game at Anfield, but if anyone seemed nervous or worried about who we played, playing at Anfield would never be a factor.

Liverpool Football Club and it's supporters never fear anyone in Europe, especially in the CL, at Anfield.  We proved it so many countless times, we've beaten and eliminated top class opposition through out our history.

Online Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1899 on: December 13, 2018, 03:26:20 pm »

It's not a case of being afraid, it's more like recognising that some teams - whether due to their quality, their style, or a bit of both - pose more of a threat than others. Personally, I'm fine with anyone apart from Juventus, but even Juventus, I believe we could beat; just that they'd be the most stubborn team to beat, and have a habit of getting through in Europe despite not playing well, like against Spurs last year.

Online Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1900 on: December 13, 2018, 03:36:01 pm »
I feel we are a good enough team so as to not be dependent on a favourable draw to progress. Having said that I’d like Porto but would prefer to avoid Juventus more for all the shite that would go with us playing them.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1901 on: December 13, 2018, 03:40:40 pm »
Incredibly exciting looking draw. Porto would be the ideal but who cares. We know we can beat anyone at this point.

Home leg first suits us as well, I think. By February I think our attacking flow will have returned and we can get the big damage done at Anfield and then show that new found steel on the road, with the great potential of nicking a killer away goal or two. We did that brilliantly against City and Roma last year. Can't wait to see who we get!

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1902 on: December 13, 2018, 04:05:30 pm »
1st attempt.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1903 on: December 13, 2018, 04:17:45 pm »
I got Juventus.

The team I don't want to face anytime soon.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1904 on: December 13, 2018, 05:53:49 pm »
1st attempt.

I like that draw, not just ours either the entire draw. Can we have this one please?

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1905 on: December 13, 2018, 06:20:02 pm »
1st attempt.

Well, a picture makes it official then, no question.

;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #1906 on: December 13, 2018, 06:46:41 pm »
1st attempt.

I got us v Porto too on the first go, but as the last one out of the draw. Its an omen! Also Utd Dortmund, but City Ajax.
Would settle for that.

Online andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1907 on: December 14, 2018, 01:04:49 am »
We are a bettter team than any of the teams we could face so we fear nobody.   That said logic states that Barca and Juve are the strongest of the potential opponents.  Porto or Bayern please.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #1908 on: December 14, 2018, 02:01:39 am »
Liverpool vs Barcelona

Ajax vs Porto

Romavs Man City

Schalke vs Paris

Tottenham vs Bayern

Lyon vs Dortmund

Man United vs Real Madrid

Atlético vs Juventus

I got this in the simulator

Offline nash_av

• Main Stander
« Reply #1909 on: December 14, 2018, 09:31:42 am »
Tried the simulator twice and both times got Real Madrid.
Porto/Bayern please and Man utd vs dortmund + City vs Atletico would be good.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1910 on: December 14, 2018, 11:51:40 am »
The Guardian have us out in the quarters with City reaching the final. Should we even bother? :(

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2018/dec/14/champions-league-predictions-knockout-stages-last-16
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #1911 on: December 14, 2018, 12:12:23 pm »
I don't like playing weak teams as it could be a banana skin like the Belgrade experience. i'd rather we get a big name team that's particularly suitable for us. Bayern is perfect. 2nd choice is Real Madrid as we will give 200% to set the record straight. Will be an absolute cracker that.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1912 on: December 14, 2018, 12:18:49 pm »
Does anyone know much is UEFA looking for for the teams to draw Porto? I looked at the official website and couldn’t find any information.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #1913 on: December 14, 2018, 12:23:08 pm »
The Guardian have us out in the quarters with City reaching the final. Should we even bother? :(

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2018/dec/14/champions-league-predictions-knockout-stages-last-16

By the Guardian's standards that's an awful piece of analysis. They've based their conclusions on the stats, goals, and performances in the group stages, without properly acknowledging the context. Some teams that did well in easy groups are predicted to go further than teams in difficult groups that qualified the hard way. It states that we were in the 'group of death' this year, but then highlights that we only scored 9 goals at this stage compared to 23 last year (no shit Sherlock - we had Sevilla, Spartak Moscow and Maribor last time....).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 01:37:23 pm by keyop »
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #1914 on: December 14, 2018, 12:35:55 pm »

All media analysis like this is absolute rubbish. Let me give you a proper analysis:

Progress is largely influenced by the draw, so it's impossible to make predictions. It's not about which team is the best. This is not a league. Certain teams don't like playing against certain systems/styles of play, and this is how the draw can make a difference... as well as various other outside factors influenced by league form and injuries. Who's going to win the UCL? My answer: Nobody knows. Nobody can know.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1915 on: December 14, 2018, 12:46:09 pm »
whoever we get I do hope the return leg is at anfield, always a belting night when its all to play for.

its probably the strongest last 16 ive seen for a long time to, no matter who we play it will be tough. real are at their weakest just now, their golden hour has near enough passed, time for new challengers.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1916 on: December 14, 2018, 12:54:32 pm »
whoever we get I do hope the return leg is at anfield, always a belting night when its all to play for.

its probably the strongest last 16 ive seen for a long time to, no matter who we play it will be tough. real are at their weakest just now, their golden hour has near enough passed, time for new challengers.

We're at home first, its the way it works when you finish second. So you can hope, but its not happening.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1917 on: December 14, 2018, 12:58:38 pm »
Real or Bayern please. Would love to avoid Juventus and Barcelona.
Believer

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1918 on: December 14, 2018, 01:07:45 pm »
We're at home first, its the way it works when you finish second. So you can hope, but its not happening.

bah, ah well, I learnt something new today there!
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1919 on: December 14, 2018, 01:26:23 pm »
I actually don’t mind Juve that much, i feel like Bayern despite a terrible showing in Bundesliga, will be a big theead in CL.