Author Topic: Match Preview: UCL QF 1st Leg Liverpool v Man City [4 April 2018, K.O 19:45 GMT]  (Read 101845 times)

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Saw their game at Everton on Saturday and they look frighteningly up to speed

To be fair, a game against Everton would probably make most teams look good! ;D

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

They really do.
We'll have to be rock solid defensively, across the whole pitch, to earn chances.
All I'm hoping for is that we don't gift them easy goals - I want to see them forced to play to the best of their abilities if they want to score against us. I want to see them pushed to the edge psychologically and physically - if they can best us under those conditions then fair play, but don't give them undeserved gifts.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Did David Silva play in the 4-3 game? I think he did but was during his spell where he was in and out a bit.

Got that excited/shitting myself feeling now (nothing to do with a heavy Easter). We’re going to have to be aggressive but controlled too. I think they will probably get an away goal but don’t think we’ll worry about being able to score at their place.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Did David Silva play in the 4-3 game? I think he did but was during his spell where he was in and out a bit.

Got that excited/shitting myself feeling now (nothing to do with a heavy Easter). We’re going to have to be aggressive but controlled too. I think they will probably get an away goal but don’t think we’ll worry about being able to score at their place.

He was an unused sub.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
And VvD didn’t play for us. Should be an interesting addition from both sides.

Additionally Henderson didn’t play for us.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2018, 11:26:33 am by newterp »

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
We need to play at a level we haven't played at this season, or one of theirs needs to have a couple of big errors. Would be great if Fernandinho gets red carded early on. :)
But, that game against Everton, especially the first half was frightening.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Gonna be a tough night for us

If we can score first again and get the crowd going mental then I can imagine a win for us but they will have learned a lot from the January game

I see a score draw in the first leg

Everton set back and rolled over   , think they had about 15% possession

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Yeah, we'll be much more tougher opponents for City than they were. They'll be tough for us too, but it's a much more even match than either of us against Everton.

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
According to their fans, players, manager and the press, they just have to turn up on Wednesday to win. I think ourselves and the other 6 teams in the competition should just hand them the trophy right now. How could we possibly compete with the greatest team to ever play the game?

Memories of the 2005 semi finals are coming flooding back.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah, we'll be much more tougher opponents for City than they were. They'll be tough for us too, but it's a much more even match than either of us against Everton.

Think we’re well able if at our best to go through .

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
According to their fans, players, manager and the press, they just have to turn up on Wednesday to win.

Are you sure?

-----------------------

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola sees Liverpool's three-pronged forward line as "almost unstoppable".

The two sides meet in the Champions League on Wednesday, with Liverpool the only Premier League team to come close to matching City's scoring exploits.

Mohamed Salah has 37 goals this season but Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane have added another 38 between them.

"It's not just Salah," said Guardiola. "Mane and Firmino, all three, they are almost unstoppable. They're fantastic."

Liverpool are the only side to have beaten runaway leaders City in the Premier League this season, winning 4-3 at Anfield on 14 January.

Firmino, Mane and Salah scored three goals in nine minutes to give the Reds a 4-1 lead and Guardiola believes his City players must handle the atmosphere better when they return for the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final.

"We lost a bit of control, we were involved in the environment of Anfield," he said.

"The way Liverpool play is so complicated for us. We know that. They are so quick, they are so good and it is tough.

"But it is the quarter-finals of the Champions League so we cannot expect, at that level, that something is going to be easy."
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Midfield for us is massive. If we can dig in there then we have a chance.

Will he go with 3-5-2?

Is Ageuro fit ?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Midfield for us is massive. If we can dig in there then we have a chance.

Will he go with 3-5-2?

Is Ageuro fit ?

Sounds as if he'll start from the bench if he's fit enough.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Sounds as if he'll start from the bench if he's fit enough.

Jesus is obviously a great replacememt though
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"

Perhaps, he sometimes needs a game or two before he is back to his best though. Let's hope he's rusty.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Ok so I’ve had a little snoop on blue moon. Generally they seem to think the 4-3 in January was simply an off day from them with their midfield disrupted by david silvas absense. They seem to be ignoring klopps record against Guardiola. This is the toughest tie in europe at the moment according to the bookies but guardiolas football philosophy is a poor fit against a klopp side with this much pace. I reckon we’ll win but I’d say that if we were playing 1970 brazil at home on a big night

Silva's availability is a big plus for them. He really is tidy in a tight spot.

What we lack in midfield, unfortunately.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Scored a nice goal v Everton from a cross on Easter Saturday .

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Scored a nice goal v Everton from a cross on Easter Saturday .

So his resurrection came a bit earlier than usual?

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Same referee as Sevilla away then. He was, and I use the technical term, absolutely fucking shite
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
Our record of playing English teams in Europe with the first leg at Anfield is poor but I still believe in Jurgen and the players. It will be very hard but also achievable.

We shouldn't be too dispirited if we get a draw though as I was on London on a business trip when Arsenal and Chelsea had their clash in 2004 and the first game was a 1-1 draw at Chelsea and the expectation was that Arsenal would cakewalk the 2nd leg, but Chelsea won it. So if we don't get the win then all is not lost. Unless of course we lose by more than one goal. Even if we lost but the odd goal say 1-0 or 2-1 etc then even then all is not lost, as I back the team to score at City.

I actually think though this is going to be our hardest test in the CL and if we can get past City I do not think we'll have a harder game to get past then the one we currently face. As I have to admit I think Pep is creating something very special there. So to get past them over 2 legs would be an achievement in itself.

I'd actually be very tempted to play 3 at the back as we looked very good when Lovren came on against Palace which pushed the full backs up higher. If we can replicate that then we'll be pushing the likes of Sane and Sterling further down their end. .

The midfield is going to be interesting and I think Henderson and Oxlade-Chamberlain are must starts for me. Alex played very well against city and we need his pace, physicality and penetrative runs in midfield. The 3rd player is a choice of Can, Wijnaldum and Milner. In truth I am not a fan of Can or Wijnaldum but at home at least Wijnaldum seems to be good for us and his physicality is again something we'll need. But I'd play Can or Milner in the 2nd leg.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Everton had something like 17.9% possession, Fernandinho had 15%.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
Lets have a few low pot shots at this keeper. I haven't watched him all season but he was out of position for Oxlade-Chamberlains
goal at Anfield and his effort for the Everton goal on Saturday wasn't great. A wall of noise from the Kop wont help him either.Step up Mr Can.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Our record of playing English teams in Europe with the first leg at Anfield is poor

It is? The only loss I remember is the 3-1 against Chelsea, otherwise we've won or drawn home first legs.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
Nah he is no good on Crosseds
JFT 96

Online thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
These can be had down their fullback positions. Walker makes a couple of mistakes every match and if it is Laporte on the left side, Salah can have plenty of chances.

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I would never bet against us on a CL night at Anfield in the latter stages.

Form wise, I think we are underdogs for sure. Watford aside we haven't looked too fluent of late but still have managed to get results. This is good of course.

City meanwhile look to be purring. Still, over confidence, being the favourites and starting to believe your own press, with the title in the bag may all be ingredients for a shock to their system.

I fancy us to be able to score at their place so I'd take a 3-1, as I don't see us keeping a clean sheet.

As many have said midfield is a worry if Can isn't fit and no Lallana......we could be putting out a workman like trio again. I fancy AOC to get a start to help with that.

Trent has a huge job on and he will be targetted for sure. He's struggled against Rashford and Zaha and Sane will be even tougher. Any chance of Clyne starting? Probably not. Trent needs help for sure....

Karius

TAA        Matip         VVD       Robertson

Henderson

AOC                       Wijnaldum

Salah          Bobby              Mane

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
Wish Cuneyt Cakir was our referee, he was known to be a Liverpool fan.

Did Felix Brych ever ref Klopp's Dortmund vs Pep's Bayern matches? I'd like to know the results.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
Wish Cuneyt Cakir was our referee, he was known to be a Liverpool fan.

Did Felix Brych ever ref Klopp's Dortmund vs Pep's Bayern matches? I'd like to know the results.
Felix Brych was shocking in our game at Seville.

He gave everything to Seville in the second half.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I would never bet against us on a CL night at Anfield in the latter stages.

Form wise, I think we are underdogs for sure. Watford aside we haven't looked too fluent of late but still have managed to get results. This is good of course.

City meanwhile look to be purring. Still, over confidence, being the favourites and starting to believe your own press, with the title in the bag may all be ingredients for a shock to their system.

I fancy us to be able to score at their place so I'd take a 3-1, as I don't see us keeping a clean sheet.

As many have said midfield is a worry if Can isn't fit and no Lallana......we could be putting out a workman like trio again. I fancy AOC to get a start to help with that.

Trent has a huge job on and he will be targetted for sure. He's struggled against Rashford and Zaha and Sane will be even tougher. Any chance of Clyne starting? Probably not. Trent needs help for sure....

Karius

TAA        Matip         VVD       Robertson

Henderson

AOC                       Wijnaldum

Salah          Bobby              Mane

It was mentioned earlier, but VVD didn't play against City when we burst their invincibles bubble, I think he'll play a major part in us getting through the tie.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
Felix Brych was shocking in our game at Seville.

He gave everything to Seville in the second half.
Yeah i remember that one, horrendous stuff. hopefully it's a sign he favors home teams

Online LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I don't understand why people are calling out for three at the back, when we've played very well all season with four.

We should't be changing anything in fear of any of their players, it's a Champions League Quarter Final at Anfield, it's only the second time Manchester City have been this far in the competition in their history. Do what we do best and go a score goals for fun.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah i remember that one, horrendous stuff. hopefully it's a sign he favors home teams
PSG were angry about his officiating in the game at the Bernabeu.

Hopefully it's a sign he's a bit of a homer.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I don't understand why people are calling out for three at the back, when we've played very well all season with four.

We should't be changing anything in fear of any of their players, it's a Champions League Quarter Final at Anfield, it's only the second time Manchester City have been this far in the competition in their history. Do what we do best and go a score goals for fun.

Just imagine if we won 5-0 on Wednesday, very unlikely to happen but it would scare not only City but the other teams still in the competition shitless!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Can’t wait for this.

All the plaudits in the build up for them - let’s keep our heads down and focus as we have a massive chance.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Come on reds, play the game of your lives!

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Can’t wait for this.

All the plaudits in the build up for them - let’s keep our heads down and focus as we have a massive chance.

Think many will want the plucky European minnows to beat the European royalty. ;D

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
Can't wait for this. Been a long time since we have had a knock out fixture of this magnitude. I have been to some massive European games over the years (Chelsea, Arsenal, Barca, Madrid,) but this City side have as much quality if not more so than some of those teams we faced. We are going to have to make Anfield the 12th man once again and I reckon we will do. In the league fixture City showed they couldn't live with the noise and it will have some impact before the game for them.

Just hope we play our stuff and cause them problems. If we can get a draw or any win we have a great chance.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Blue Coop

• Anny Roader
  • MCFC
According to their fans, players, manager and the press, they just have to turn up on Wednesday to win. I think ourselves and the other 6 teams in the competition should just hand them the trophy right now. How could we possibly compete with the greatest team to ever play the game?

Have you got the player and manager quotes? Cheers.

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan

You've just totally made that up.