Author Topic: The Klopp Template  (Read 1094764 times)

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Klopp Template
« Reply #4160 on: March 8, 2020, 10:15:43 am »
What is Klopp going to do with Keita and Ox?

Merge them into one Super Duper Saiyan called Kox.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4161 on: March 8, 2020, 10:39:11 pm »
BILD are running a story in the German media that we will sign Timo Werner and loan him back to Leipzig for one more season.  :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline TheYashLFC

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4162 on: March 8, 2020, 10:43:30 pm »
BILD are running a story in the German media that we will sign Timo Werner and loan him back to Leipzig for one more season.  :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

That makes sense although I think Klopp would want him this summer.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4163 on: March 8, 2020, 10:46:42 pm »
That makes no sense at all mate. We need an elite 4th forward and Mo and Sadio will go to the AFCON in January as well.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4164 on: March 8, 2020, 11:04:23 pm »
Use them?
Patiently improve them is probably the right answer Roy mate.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4165 on: March 9, 2020, 10:14:12 am »
That makes no sense at all mate. We need an elite 4th forward and Mo and Sadio will go to the AFCON in January as well.

Maybe we know one of current front 3 will leave next summer. Werner is too good a price not to buy. Buying him now and loaning him would be a great investment for the following summer, allowing us to get Sancho this summer and selling the likes of Shaqiri, Wilson and Origi to make it happen?

It actually kind of makes sense.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #4166 on: March 9, 2020, 11:55:39 am »
That makes sense although I think Klopp would want him this summer.
I don't think it makes any sense at all. We are going to start next season with an attacker better than Origi/Shaq (not including Minamino). If it's not going to be Werner, it would be someone else, and if it would be someone else, I doubt we will sign Werner as well.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #4167 on: March 9, 2020, 11:57:17 am »

Not sure why that's so ridiculous - look at Keita

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4168 on: March 9, 2020, 12:53:20 pm »
Not sure why that's so ridiculous - look at Keita

Because one of the reasons we are looking at Werner is because Mane and Salah are going to miss an entire month in January, and Salah may play at the Olympics as well.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #4169 on: March 10, 2020, 12:18:42 pm »
But what is the midfield supposed to do if the Centrebacks and full backs are happy to punt the ball long,totally bypassing them.We have played the 5th most long ball in the leagues this season.The teams at the top of the list and around us have way less possession that we do.

Against Chelsea,there was a moment in the 40th min,where all our midfielders were getting touches and evading Chelsea's pressing using quick turns and movement.Then the ball reached Van Djik and he played a cross field to Neco who ended up losing it.

Even our best chance against Chelsea (Kepa triple save) came through interplay in the middle and then finding Neco on the overlap.

Would the centre backs do that if we had a midfielder --on form-- who was available to take all their passes and get us going forward with either a bit of movement, or a a positive 30 yard pass?

They missed Henderson, and as we know, Fabinho has been struggling for sharpness a bit since returning from injury. Something else occured to me...we always talk about buying new attacking midfienders but what about if we brought in a deep lying player who likes to pass and has excellent technical ability to do so?

Put cost aside for a minute, I'm talking about a Ruben Neves type player? Then everyone else in the midfield squad becomes the two pressers. I reckon Hendo, Keita, Fab, Milner can all do that.

Just a thought, with no basis in reality or even speculation :)

P.S. Timo Werner needs to shush a little, he seems to be talking himself OUT of a move to Liverpool.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 12:20:18 pm by lionel_messias »
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #4170 on: March 10, 2020, 12:57:14 pm »
Klopp always looking at the bigger picture than just short term

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4171 on: March 10, 2020, 01:02:44 pm »
Klopp always looking at the bigger picture than just short term
But, we do need a better forward to rotate with our front three, because I don't believe we can count on Origi and Shaq for a long-term period. So either we sign Werner, or we sign someone else. Can't see us starting next season without an additional forward. I can also see one, if not both of the above players playing somewhere else next season.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #4172 on: March 10, 2020, 08:06:50 pm »
This thread has little to do anymore with trying to figure out what Klopp himself is thinking about football, which is a change for the worse IMO.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4173 on: March 11, 2020, 06:30:13 am »

No chance of that with all the African players away for 6 league matches for the African Nations competition next season.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4174 on: March 11, 2020, 06:33:40 am »
But, we do need a better forward to rotate with our front three, because I don't believe we can count on Origi and Shaq for a long-term period. So either we sign Werner, or we sign someone else. Can't see us starting next season without an additional forward. I can also see one, if not both of the above players playing somewhere else next season.

We need to upgrade to be able to have 2 different rotatable forward formations of nearly equal quality to field so that we can truly compete on every front - the league, Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup, World Club competition. That is why we should go in for Werner AND Sancho to field them with Minamino even though the cost will be very high. Getting a 80M player like Werner for less than 50M is a steal while a player like Sancho does not come along all the time - he is fielding better numbers at his age than Messi and C.Ronaldo...

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #4175 on: March 11, 2020, 10:45:08 am »
This thread has little to do anymore with trying to figure out what Klopp himself is thinking about football, which is a change for the worse IMO.

the fact this one, like the other Klopp thread has been turned into a transfer thread, by the same person, is a little ridiculous it has to be said!

That's the problem with having no single transfer thread here when the window is closed, there is always a small section so obsessed with other teams players and transfers that they can't help themselves, and end up spamming other threads and taking them off track.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4176 on: March 11, 2020, 11:49:15 am »
the fact this one, like the other Klopp thread has been turned into a transfer thread, by the same person, is a little ridiculous it has to be said!

That's the problem with having no single transfer thread here when the window is closed, there is always a small section so obsessed with other teams players and transfers that they can't help themselves, and end up spamming other threads and taking them off track.

I know what you are saying but we are talking about the Klopp template, some of us. And if you accept some players will leave the club, then the Klopp template will naturally involve incoming player transfers, no?

Now that doesn't mean we talk about the cheap tittle-tattle of gossip aired in the media around lots of players 'connected' to Liverpool.

The central question remains: how will Klopp develop the team, that has already be crowned in Europe and is about to become domestic champions. Klopp's contract now gives him the time to build a second wave, so how much will he do to develop and update this summer*?

*this summer now looks like a distant foreign Island thanks to the health crisis

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4177 on: March 11, 2020, 12:13:27 pm »
I know what you are saying but we are talking about the Klopp template, some of us. And if you accept some players will leave the club, then the Klopp template will naturally involve incoming player transfers, no?

Now that doesn't mean we talk about the cheap tittle-tattle of gossip aired in the media around lots of players 'connected' to Liverpool.

The central question remains: how will Klopp develop the team, that has already be crowned in Europe and is about to become domestic champions. Klopp's contract now gives him the time to build a second wave, so how much will he do to develop and update this summer*?

*this summer now looks like a distant foreign Island thanks to the health crisis

all well and good, but I'm mostly talking about the posts that are merely spreading rumours from various twitter accounts and German tabloids - and these posts tend to get posted both here and the other Klopp thread, and as a lot is about Werner, the Bundesliga thread too, it's a bit tedious - the exact same stuff in 3 threads. And it adds bugger all apart from gratifying people who are obsessed with transfers. And a lot of the transfer talk decends into that anyway.

But ya know, I'm all for it staying in this thread, cos this one is of little intest to me!  Just keep it out of the others, and it's all good  :P

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4178 on: March 11, 2020, 12:50:52 pm »
But ya know, I'm all for it staying in this thread, cos this one is of little intest to me!  Just keep it out of the others, and it's all good  :P
Nah post it in the Bundesliga thread

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4179 on: March 12, 2020, 12:51:46 am »
all well and good, but I'm mostly talking about the posts that are merely spreading rumours from various twitter accounts and German tabloids - and these posts tend to get posted both here and the other Klopp thread, and as a lot is about Werner, the Bundesliga thread too, it's a bit tedious - the exact same stuff in 3 threads. And it adds bugger all apart from gratifying people who are obsessed with transfers. And a lot of the transfer talk decends into that anyway.

I see this as a personal attack on me DN :'( :D

We could've done with an elite 4th forward tonight such as Werner.  ;D

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #4180 on: March 12, 2020, 09:42:01 am »
Can I ask those who have been following team performance for a long time: Is this current Liverpool team peaking now? Or has already peaked? If not, around when does this team peak?

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4181 on: March 12, 2020, 10:07:15 am »
It’s hard to answer this one Vinay. It depends how you define “peak”. I think there’s obvious room for improvement and I think the current set up supports that. But there are any number of intangible elements that will impacts that. If anything moments like last night help propel dynastic succession because the frustration fuels hunger.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4182 on: March 12, 2020, 10:09:52 am »

Yep for sure.

Personally, I'm more interested in how we develop our midfield unit. Thought we played well there last night. And with both Gini and Oxlade-chamberlain offering real attacking impetus, I'm fascinated to understand where Klopp develops that next season.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4183 on: March 12, 2020, 12:01:30 pm »
The greatest strength from Ferguson was knowing how to consistently evolve his sides and make tweaks, to refresh things after a certain amount of seasons/years. Another attacking player will help significantly for the following season, perhaps even 2. But I think this side has another brilliant season in them before a bigger change would be needed. And that change may be more with how we play, implementing new ideas, rather than just adding new players. But it's clear that we are seriously looking for another front 3 player.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4184 on: March 12, 2020, 01:05:20 pm »
Yeah it's the bench and the ability to pick apart deep blocks that are the biggest items on the list.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4185 on: March 12, 2020, 01:11:30 pm »
Yeah it's the bench and the ability to pick apart deep blocks that are the biggest items on the list.

And we've done that well for 2 seasons 90 percent of the time. can't expect to win every single game, and people have been taken this for granted, which is mental.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4186 on: March 12, 2020, 01:11:42 pm »
Bring in a star forward.. be it Sancho or Werner or someone of that ilk, that allows us to rotate and not feel the drop off in quality. Oh, and a back up left back for Robbo. Not much to do with the squad, keep them together and add a little bit of stardust to it and we go again.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #4187 on: March 12, 2020, 01:12:37 pm »
It's exciting times really. We are one of the best teams around and we've proven that with our trophies (and more to come) - and we're still evolving as a side. The midfield can still evolve, an extra world-class front-man could challenge/bring the front three to another level.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #4188 on: March 12, 2020, 02:08:02 pm »
Don't really like to speculate on transfers, especially in March and with loads of madness going on  ;D but what about Werner next season with Bobby in behind? It seems like it could be logical. Thought Firmino was actually quite good in the 2nd half last night, just made me think of the idea of him in behind the attack, we'd certainly continue to look entertaining going forward.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4189 on: March 13, 2020, 04:53:03 am »
How do you complete a medical? Let’s move any Werner chat to the Bundesliga thread maybe eh?

Offline Insole Petrol

• Main Stander
  • What we do in this life echoes in eternity
« Reply #4190 on: March 21, 2020, 04:30:04 pm »
Difficult to know where we need to sign - side is so well balanced you wouldn’t want to upset the chemistry. Maybe it’s a question of depth?
‘And you can sit there and play with your silly machines as much as you like...’

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4191 on: March 23, 2020, 12:41:58 pm »
Must read

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51989229

Jens Haas still remembers the first time he suspected his schoolmate Jurgen Klopp had the mind of a football manager.

They were 11 years old, being driven to play football for SV Glatten's youth team, listening to their beloved Stuttgart's latest Bundesliga match on the radio.

Young Jurgen began to analyse Stuttgart's tactics - and suggested a couple of substitutions to alter the course of the game. Moments later, the commentator confirmed that Klopp's suggested switches were being made.

Podcast: Klopp‘s journey - Black Forest hills to Anfield thrills
"I was amazed by his knowledge and understanding of the game," recalls Haas. "Sometimes I thought he was already a coach."

Klopp's school days in the Black Forest offer the first clues as to how he grew up to become the ultimate modern football manager.

He is revered at Mainz, where he went from player to head coach overnight and took the club into the Bundesliga for the first time; at Dortmund, where he toppled Bayern Munich; and now at Liverpool, with a sixth European Cup and a march towards a 19th league title before coronavirus intervened.

Equally at ease with players, fans, executives and journalists, this smiling, gesticulating, bear-hugging coach seems to embody these clubs whose supporters demand an emotional investment from the man in control of their dreams.

There's plenty more on Klopp's personality and methods to come as we speak to some of the key figures in his journey to Anfield. The story begins in Glatten, the idyllic Black Forest spa village where he spent his formative years.

Short presentational grey line
We meet Haas opposite the bakery, beside a fountain that flows into the River Glatt from which the village takes its name. This is where Jurgen, Jens and their SV Glatten team-mates would gather before travelling to away matches.

A short stroll along the river's grassy banks, where the boys used to ride their bikes, takes you to Klopp's childhood home, a large white-fronted house where his mother still lives, opposite the shiny new town hall and less than a corner kick away from the primary school that Klopp and Jens attended.

It is here, among the hills of Swabia - a land of cuckoo clocks, traditional costumes and hearty foods in south-west Germany - that Klopp developed his sense of freedom, a far cry from the industry and intensity of Mainz, Dortmund or Liverpool.

"People here are very quiet and solid," says Haas. "They are cautious with money. They like to work and they judge people on what they do.

"Swabian people take a little while to warm up, but once you are friends you are friends for life. It's a really good place to grow up. You have time for yourself and you can focus on what you want to do."

Klopp has two older sisters who he says were like second mothers to him, but it was his father Norbert - a travelling salesman and former amateur goalkeeper - who encouraged him to take up sport.

"Norbert had a big influence on him, he shaped him," recalls Klopp's first coach Ulrich Rath, who founded the Glatten Under-11s team in 1972 so that his two sons Ingo and Harti could play for a team alongside Klopp and Jens.

"It's important to know that Norbert Klopp wasn't born here in Glatten. He's from Rhineland-Palatinate, close to Mainz. The people from that area celebrate carnival. In Glatten and in the Black Forest, we don't," he adds.

"Norbert was very active here in this club, first in football and then later in tennis. And Jurgen got his father's eloquence, enthusiasm and vigour.

"His mother is originally from Glatten, from a long-established family. The people from the Black Forest are quiet, laid-back people. They always had to work hard. They were always strong-willed.

"When Jurgen is jumping up and down, I can see Norbert in him. But when he closes the door behind him at home, he finds peace and quiet and collects his strength. That's his mother."

Klopp was a midfielder and captain for SV Glatten's youth teams until he switched in his late teens to TuS Ergenzingen, a bigger team in a town 15 miles away. Rath describes him as a "bad loser" but a "natural leader".

"He was always right at the forefront and he spoke up when something was not right," says the 79-year-old Rath. "We had a good relationship. He was ambitious. And he would always tell his team-mates 'Let's go' and push them."

The pitch where Klopp used to play has tall pine trees along one touchline and a stream along the other, from which Haas remembers retrieving many a stray ball.

In 1981, matches moved across the village to a new sports club, where the yellow and black colours of the local team are an uncanny match for those of Borussia Dortmund. A photo of Klopp in his Dortmund prime, signed and dedicated to the people of his home town, sits proudly among the other trophies and memorabilia.

This was also the venue for a celebration to honour the village's most famous son when Klopp led Dortmund to the Bundesliga title in 2011.

As the cheering and chanting subsided, Klopp went on stage to make a speech before mingling with the people of his childhood home.

"It was amazing," says Haas, over a local wheat beer in Glatten's nearest thing to a sports bar, a smokey wooden den with TV screens where the local bikers' club have taken up residence for the afternoon.

"One minute he was the professional coach of Dortmund and then the next he was an old classmate. He was interested in the village, in who everyone was, and he spoke to people in the local dialect."

Rath rarely sees Klopp these days but becomes emotional when he recalls a surprise phone call from his former pupil on his 75th birthday.

"He congratulated me and wished me all the best," says Rath, choking back tears. "This is his home. And he has never forgotten that."

Short presentational grey line
After leaving Glatten, Klopp played for several amateur clubs, including Rot-Weiss Frankfurt, while studying for a degree in sports science at the city's university.

In 1990, at the age of 23, he moved 30 miles west to sign a semi-professional contract with second division team Mainz 05, under the watchful gaze of club captain Michael Schumacher.

"Klopp was a typical student at this time, in both looks and personality," laughs the 62-year-old, sitting in a corporate suite at Mainz's new 34,000-seater stadium, a gleaming symbol of the club's dramatic rise under Klopp's management.

"He was always wearing jeans and a T-shirt and was really easy-going with no stress."

Life on the pitch was to prove rather more traumatic for Klopp, who has always confessed to having second division legs but a first division brain.

"When he came to us he was a forward," adds Schumacher. "He was fast and good with his head but he struggled with the technical side of the game.

"It was hard for him. When they announced his name, the fans would whistle and boo. I remember after a game we were sitting in the hydro-massage pool and Klopp said to me 'What can I do? The coach always wants to bring me on.' He knew he wasn't the greatest player, but he did what he was told."

A switch to defence under the tutelage of influential coach Wolfgang Frank turned the 6ft 4in Klopp into a success at Mainz, where he played 325 games in a decade-long career. But it was the sudden decision to install him as manager that really brought out his strengths.

Mainz were facing relegation to the third tier of German football when president Harald Strutz made the bold call in February 2001.

"The situation was that we'd gone through three managers in quick succession," says the affable Strutz as he looks out across the pitch at the creaking Bruchweg Stadium, Mainz's home during Klopp's time as player and coach which now serves as their training ground.

"We had a very important game and we said if nobody is here to help the team, they have to do it themselves.

"Jurgen Klopp was full of passion, a normal man with a special personality. You could see in all the games that he was a leader. You could see the supporters were so impressed with his personality.

"We decided to make him the manager and that was such an explosion of emotion for all the people living in this city. And it started the greatest time for this club."

The impact was instant. Mainz beat Duisburg 1-0 in Klopp's first match and won six of their first seven games to pull clear of the relegation zone. Better was to follow.

In two successive seasons, the club challenged for promotion right up until the final day of the season, only to miss out in agonising circumstances both times.

While lesser men might have cracked, it was the way Klopp galvanised the club and the city that so impressed Strutz.

As 15,000 fans gathered in front of the theatre in Mainz's main square, Klopp spoke from the heart.

"Everyone had tears in their eyes, but Jurgen got on the stage and told them we would come back stronger and try again. It was so impressive for all the people to see such strength. He always found the right words."

Tears turned to joy the following season when Mainz secured their first ever promotion to the Bundesliga.

"I can promise we had a beautiful evening," says Strutz. "Jurgen always tells me he has this image of me that he'll never forget. Standing in a pub at 3 o'clock in the morning looking so happy. Smiling, laughing, drinking."

Mainz spent three heady seasons in the Bundesliga, ample time for Klopp's tactical acumen and infectious charm to make an impression on one of the most powerful men in German football.

"When you had to play against Mainz, on the one side the players were not very good, but on the other side it was so difficult to beat them because they had a lot of spirit," says Hans-Joachim Watzke, the chief executive of Borussia Dortmund.

"For the general public he made a real impression during the World Cup in 2006 when he was an expert on TV.

"For the Germans it was a new thing that this guy had such a high competence for analysis but also made it entertainment with a lot of charm. It was fantastic."

After more tears as he said farewell to the fans in Mainz's main square, Klopp joined Dortmund in 2008 and immediately formed a close bond with the club's impassioned 'Yellow Wall' of fans at their 80,000-capacity Westfalenstadoin.

Playing his trademark brand of "heavy metal" football while screaming and gesturing from the outer reaches of his technical area, Klopp turned a struggling Dortmund side into one of European football's most thrilling sights, storming to the Bundesliga title in 2011 and following it up with the league and cup double in 2012.

"He gave the team a new spirit," says Watzke. "He played another style of football to what we played before: aggressive, pressing with power and with his empathy on the side.

"The fans and the players loved him from the first moment. The whole city, the whole region was out of control."

Klopp's superstar status is encapsulated in helicopter camera footage of the culmination of Dortmund's title-winning parade in 2011. With the newly-penned 'Kloppo du Popstar' anthem blasting out from the speakers, Klopp emerges through a cloud of smoke, dances onto stage in aviator shades, boots a ball into the crowd and waves to every adoring face.

"He's one of the most famous men in Germany," says close friend Uli Graf, the writer and producer of 'Kloppo du Popstar', which reached number two in the German charts.

"But he doesn't want to be a pop star. He is a man of the people - the boy from the Black Forest who became a hero."

Graf describes holidaying with Jurgen Klopp as "the biggest fun you can have".

"You'll be laughing, joking, you can talk about politics, sports," he says. "He is a very intelligent and clever man, you don't have to fear what you say."

A great football coach, a decent dancer and an ideal holiday companion. But Jurgen Klopp's talents don't end there.

If ever a Borussia Dortmund sponsor was wavering about renewing their deal, they would receive a personal call from Klopp himself.

"Jurgen Klopp is a marketing man's dream," says Carsten Cramer, who was head of marketing during Klopp's seven years at the club and is now managing director.

"A person like him working for an emotional club like Borussia Dortmund was a perfect fit. He was able to give this club and its identity a human face.

"He is a weapon, a perfect all-rounder and he supported us in an awesome way. The sponsors were so touched that the manager of Dortmund was calling them that they all extended their deals."

Five years on from another tearful parting of the ways, Cramer and Watzke remain close friends with Klopp and were guests in Kiev and Madrid for both of Liverpool's Champions League finals under the German.

"If you work together with a person like Jurgen for seven years it would be a lie to say you don't miss him. He's an extraordinary person," says Cramer.

"But to see how he gives hope and power not only to Liverpool Football Club but also to the city makes us very proud."

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4192 on: March 23, 2020, 01:40:06 pm »
This I think is from the same guy as the above article - but an hour long audio including the actual interviews he did with the quoted people from Glatten, Mainz and Dortmund in that article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0879qw7

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #4193 on: March 25, 2020, 10:00:18 am »
I was just thinking how an extended break due to this pandemic will effect Klopp on a personal level... and selfishly us, on another.

The reality is that for almost everyone in the world, life is going to look different going forward. Businesses, governments and families are going to change given that thi sis the first real physical crisis that many of us or our parents have faced. It's a generational event.

One outcome is that Klopp is likely to have 3-6 months with no football. No training, no transfers, no injuries, no press conferences. It's a unique event. He'll get to spend 6 months at home with his immediate family.

I wonder what the outcome of this will be? On one hand, it could act as a recharge, and like many of us already he many be chomping to get out the house and back to work. On the other hand, it may be an event that causes him to reassess his personal priorities.

Selfishly, I'm hoping that its the former of those two options but I would generally say its 50:50.

Stay safe out there everyone.
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4194 on: March 25, 2020, 10:20:39 am »
This is a 30 minutes Radio 4 podcast about Klopp.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p087fbpk

The manager of Liverpool Football Club, who lead them to victory in the Champions League. But Jurgen Klopp has not always been this successful. When he was a young footballer at Mainz 05 in Germany, his former team mate Guido Shafer says he 'had no talent'. So what can we learn from his childhood in Germany's Black Forest? How did he become the manager he is today?
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4195 on: March 25, 2020, 10:29:45 am »
This is a 30 minutes Radio 4 podcast about Klopp.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p087fbpk
Nice one, I'll be listening to that later.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4196 on: March 25, 2020, 01:51:41 pm »
I was just thinking how an extended break due to this pandemic will effect Klopp on a personal level... and selfishly us, on another.

The reality is that for almost everyone in the world, life is going to look different going forward. Businesses, governments and families are going to change given that thi sis the first real physical crisis that many of us or our parents have faced. It's a generational event.

One outcome is that Klopp is likely to have 3-6 months with no football. No training, no transfers, no injuries, no press conferences. It's a unique event. He'll get to spend 6 months at home with his immediate family.

I wonder what the outcome of this will be? On one hand, it could act as a recharge, and like many of us already he many be chomping to get out the house and back to work. On the other hand, it may be an event that causes him to reassess his personal priorities.

Selfishly, I'm hoping that its the former of those two options but I would generally say its 50:50.

Stay safe out there everyone.

I think he's still in Liverpool isn't he, he was the other day anyway. Which means that he'll be with his wife, but they like many will be a long way away from the rest of their immediate family, potentially for a while. So that'll include their 2 sons and elderly close relatives I am sure, which is a constant source of worry for many of us through this! 

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4197 on: March 30, 2020, 04:59:54 pm »
I think he's still in Liverpool isn't he, he was the other day anyway. Which means that he'll be with his wife, but they like many will be a long way away from the rest of their immediate family, potentially for a while. So that'll include their 2 sons and elderly close relatives I am sure, which is a constant source of worry for many of us through this!

There was talk that Klopp would want a sabbatical at the end of his contract with us because he's not had time to focus on his family, this period is obviously not the same as he can't travel/do things as you would if he were on leave but he will have the ability to spend alot more time with his wife and children so I see it as a recharge

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4198 on: March 30, 2020, 06:16:57 pm »
There was talk that Klopp would want a sabbatical at the end of his contract with us because he's not had time to focus on his family, this period is obviously not the same as he can't travel/do things as you would if he were on leave but he will have the ability to spend alot more time with his wife and children so I see it as a recharge

pretty sure his sons will be in Germany right now.

It's just a weird situation though really, as yeah, you can recharge in a way physically, but maybe not so mentally during this time. In fact it could be even more stressful!

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4199 on: April 1, 2020, 10:17:59 pm »
Tifo Football latest video.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WzcT3hu2BQg&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/WzcT3hu2BQg&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."