Author Topic: The Klopp Template  (Read 1089327 times)

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
Re: The Klopp Template - Are we getting closer?
« Reply #1600 on: September 2, 2018, 11:12:24 am »
I loved our long throws against Leicester...marginal gains and that!
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1601 on: September 2, 2018, 02:35:08 pm »
I can see our football being more pragmatic this season. We're clearly learning to win ugly.

It's easy to win titles playing pretty football when you have infinite resources and are uncatchable most seasons.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1602 on: September 2, 2018, 02:59:27 pm »
Andy Gray and Paul Robinson think you're wrong, which means you're almost certainly right.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #1603 on: September 2, 2018, 03:20:02 pm »
I can see our football being more pragmatic this season. We're clearly learning to win ugly.

It's easy to win titles playing pretty football when you have infinite resources and are uncatchable most seasons.
We've progressed sofar that we can now work on the details and eking out every ounce of good from what we already know- setpieces included.
We're basically a complete team now and there are now only marginal gains to be had... and we're working on those of course. The inch you need when facing the best teams in the world- when both of you are equally as good or one's weaknesses are the other's strength and vice versa.
In those games- in the finals, the title deciders, the semis- it's that extremely little improvement on "chance" that makes you score a goal more or concede a goal less.

The only thing that's left for me- is Ox. Then we would have been complete for THIS season and I would've said without hesitation that we WILL compete with City and would have just as much chance of winning the league as they have.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2018, 03:29:01 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #1604 on: September 2, 2018, 03:20:29 pm »

It should be interesting to watch them develop, knowing that it's something we're working on.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1605 on: September 2, 2018, 03:38:36 pm »
The thing I love about Klopp is he has courage of convinction. He thinks long term and takes public flack for it.

Joe Gomez is a perfect example. The insistence of playing him at right back for an entire season and resisting the switch to CB mid season shows that conviction. Come rain or shine, Gomez was made to learn his trade at right back and understand the life of a right back before being given the chance at centre back. I think this gives him greater peripheral vision to execute the role now. I would hazard a guess Klopp and his team had this planned as part of his career development.

To know this philosophy is applied to the entire squad is pretty amazing. We haven’t had this for so long.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1606 on: September 2, 2018, 05:01:52 pm »
The thing I love about Klopp is he has courage of convinction. He thinks long term and takes public flack for it.

Not signing a CB and waiting for half a season just for a chance at moving for van Dijk again. That was ballsy.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1607 on: September 2, 2018, 05:12:09 pm »
Not signing a CB and waiting for half a season just for a chance at moving for van Dijk again. That was ballsy.

Yes and it's very good that we try and do things that way and wait for the right player. Now we are trying to focus our spendings. We appear to know what we want and we target first team players. It looks simple and natural but it has taken us some time to get there.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #1608 on: September 2, 2018, 06:30:24 pm »
Not signing an attacking midfielder and waiting for half a season just for a chance at moving for Fekir again. That is ballsy.
;)
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1609 on: September 3, 2018, 06:03:29 am »
To know this philosophy is applied to the entire squad is pretty amazing. We haven’t had this for so long.

Calculated courage in sports is priceless, not the least in a football manager. 

May I also give a pat on the shoulders to the management and, not the least, ourselves?  The whole Club moves in the same direction with the right manager at the helm.  We are such a well managed, if not the best managed, Club nowadays.  This is what we fought for 8 years ago.  Took 8 long years to be close to what we dreamt of.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #1610 on: September 3, 2018, 09:10:38 am »
Calculated courage in sports is priceless, not the least in a football manager. 

May I also give a pat on the shoulders to the management and, not the least, ourselves?  The whole Club moves in the same direction with the right manager at the helm.  We are such a well managed, if not the best managed, Club nowadays.  This is what we fought for 8 years ago.  Took 8 long years to be close to what we dreamt of.
We're all in sync again. Club and management trusts the manager- whom they've selected carefully and are willing to sacrifice - with him- short terms gains over the long term. The manager, scouting and recruitment are on-point, diligent, relentless, patient, shrewd, in the know and efficient.
Fantastic all round!

We're a unit, looking from the outside-in: from the pitch, to the stands, right through middle to upper management and long may it continue!
« Last Edit: September 3, 2018, 09:16:01 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1611 on: September 5, 2018, 07:09:52 pm »
Klopp

The players are not at their top level yet. That is because we are in the early part of the season. It is normal,” said the Liverpool manager.

“Everybody should know we have a lot of work to do still, but if they don’t then I have told them. When you win four times it sounds really crazy to say this, but it is still part of the pre-season for a very long time after the summer.

“From mid-September, we play every three days. So we do the work now, and this is how it is – it is normal that you are not quite at 100 per cent in the games.”

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1612 on: September 5, 2018, 08:36:44 pm »
Andy Gray and Paul Robinson think you're wrong, which means you're almost certainly right.

;D
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1613 on: September 5, 2018, 08:53:43 pm »
We're all in sync again. Club and management trusts the manager- whom they've selected carefully and are willing to sacrifice - with him- short terms gains over the long term. The manager, scouting and recruitment are on-point, diligent, relentless, patient, shrewd, in the know and efficient.
Fantastic all round!

We're a unit, looking from the outside-in: from the pitch, to the stands, right through middle to upper management and long may it continue!

We're only going to get better as well!

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1614 on: September 23, 2018, 07:57:12 am »
Bump

Are we getting close? Damn right we are!
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #1615 on: September 23, 2018, 11:58:01 am »
Andy Gray thinks it's a bad idea? Yeah, 100% the best decision Klopp's ever made, then, the baked potato-headed fuckwit.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1616 on: September 23, 2018, 12:06:16 pm »
Bump

Are we getting close? Damn right we are!

I don't know, we might be. Let's check back in a couple of seasons. ;D

We certainly are - we're winning even if it's an ugly victory, we're even winning the early kick offs and games straight after ones in Europe that we struggled with last season.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #1617 on: September 24, 2018, 01:54:48 pm »
Average positions for first half versus Southampton. Absolutely clear what the shape was:

Better looking than Samie.

Offline christofu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1618 on: September 24, 2018, 03:25:10 pm »
Average positions for first half versus Southampton. Absolutely clear what the shape was:

Good to see us trying a plan B. I am guessing this plan is designed to give us a different attacking shape. We seem to attack well but not sure we  have as much control (e.g. the Europa league final v Sevilla or Saturdays game v Southampton). I think we now have players that can potentially play that system and as Klopp alluded to we didn't really have time to practice on Saturday.

I guess one of the main differences is 2 rather than 3 in the midfield and it seemed on Saturday one of the central midfielders were reluctant to vacate the central zone and go and help out the fullbacks with the overload (or should that have been one of wide attacking midfielders job?)

Interested to hear your thoughts Pop.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #1619 on: September 24, 2018, 03:35:18 pm »
Loved the idea of 4 attackers on the pitch but Bobby anywhere but through the middle is a huge no-no for me. Hopefully we'll figure out how to be tough to play against in this shape as we are in our standard 433 so we could use it all the time vs dross because I fear we won't get enough goals from our 8s whereas with 4 attackers we're less likely to shoot blanks.

At least Klopp will have more evidence to support the idea this other shape gives us even a better chance against parked buses.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1620 on: September 24, 2018, 05:42:33 pm »
I feel like I've read stuff on here to the effect that Klopp decided he needed a 3rd CM given his (then) options. I wonder if Fabinho and Keita potentially give us the option going forward of playing just those 2 as a double pivot. Although obviously right now, given they're both adapting to the Klopp way, that isn't going to be possible.

If Salah ends up being less prolific this season I see no issue with him no longer being our 'cheat' and giving him and Mane instructions to defend wide when necessary. However, does that lesson Firmino's impact in that he can no longer play 10?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1621 on: September 24, 2018, 06:27:31 pm »
Loved the idea of 4 attackers on the pitch but Bobby anywhere but through the middle is a huge no-no for me. Hopefully we'll figure out how to be tough to play against in this shape as we are in our standard 433 so we could use it all the time vs dross because I fear we won't get enough goals from our 8s whereas with 4 attackers we're less likely to shoot blanks.

At least Klopp will have more evidence to support the idea this other shape gives us even a better chance against parked buses.

We don't play a standard 433 though. Even Klopp has said so.

Offline Fluke

• aka the recently dismissed General Consensus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop.
« Reply #1622 on: September 25, 2018, 03:46:58 am »

Switching the shape was definitely to fit all 4 of them on, and the idea was to put Salah up against the two big center backs who might struggle against his pace.
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave.
Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave.

Offline NHRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #1623 on: September 26, 2018, 12:36:17 am »
We don't play a standard 433 though. Even Klopp has said so.

POP, emphasis on "our" more than "standard", maybe?

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #1624 on: October 5, 2018, 06:42:08 am »
Does anyone else feel like we are playing a bit too safe in the final third? I don't think this can be particularly by design, but it does seem like there's fewer attempts to try a riskier pass in the final third if a safer option is available. I know it sounds counter-intuitive when I put it like that but it just feels like of late, there's a certain tendency to play a pass out wide instead of attempting to take on a defender or try a risky cute pass. Most teams are overloading the box when they lose the ball and we get very little in from out wide. Some of this might just be the lack of form in our front 3 but if anyone has access, I'd like to know our takeon stats in the final third this season, especially the last few games and how they compare to last season cause it feels like there's much fewer of those, atleast much fewer being won in that area of the pitch atleast.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1625 on: October 5, 2018, 09:37:11 am »
Not sure. Seems to me they're either making a mess of final pass/ shot a little more often than last season, or just not getting the ball anywhere near enough (e.g vs Napoli and Chelsea). The service to Salah was abysmal on Wednesday. Balls lumped to his head time after time.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1626 on: October 5, 2018, 10:18:46 am »
Does anyone else feel like we are playing a bit too safe in the final third? I don't think this can be particularly by design, but it does seem like there's fewer attempts to try a riskier pass in the final third if a safer option is available. I know it sounds counter-intuitive when I put it like that but it just feels like of late, there's a certain tendency to play a pass out wide instead of attempting to take on a defender or try a risky cute pass. Most teams are overloading the box when they lose the ball and we get very little in from out wide. Some of this might just be the lack of form in our front 3 but if anyone has access, I'd like to know our takeon stats in the final third this season, especially the last few games and how they compare to last season cause it feels like there's much fewer of those, atleast much fewer being won in that area of the pitch atleast.

I just think overall the front 3 are in a little lull. WHich will happen from time to time. I think we need to play Shaqiri in midfield more. We do lack that more attack minded player in there. Just don't think Klopp is 100% happy to play Shaqiri there though. Probably our now weakest area in the team which isn't even that weak, shows how far we've come.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #1627 on: October 5, 2018, 11:47:55 am »

Is this a 2-4-3-1 then?

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1628 on: October 5, 2018, 11:56:50 am »
It's good that we're having some obvious difficulties while we're winning. We need to fix that before we stop winning, and things become complicated even more. Sunday will give us a clearer picture, if the problems are real or not.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1629 on: October 5, 2018, 03:36:55 pm »
Is this a 2-4-3-1 then?

No.

And also, yes.

:D

(but no - there's next-to-no such thing as a FLAT back four. They're almost always curved like a "C" when you take into account the attacking tasks of the fullbacks).

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #1630 on: October 6, 2018, 01:20:07 am »
What do people think of moving Mane back to midfield and putting Shaq up wide when we’re struggling to break out, like against Napoli?
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #1631 on: October 6, 2018, 08:49:02 am »
What do people think of moving Mane back to midfield and putting Shaq up wide when we’re struggling to break out, like against Napoli?

I think Mane's passing is often too sloppy for him to play any deeper, could end up causing us a fair bit of trouble. I'd just find a way to play Shaqiri in the midfield 3.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline mercurial

• Legacy Fan
  • Lost my mind, let me know if you spot it
« Reply #1632 on: October 7, 2018, 08:56:31 pm »
I just get a feeling that we are not committed to put players into the box from midfield like we used to do. I don't have numbers but just a general take is the runs from midfield into the final third and specifically into the box has reduced. It might be the reason we retain shape better and defensive numbers are better this season. POP, Babu others can possibly shed more light if this is true or not. If true, we need a can opener of a player like David Silva or Coutinho. I definitely do think it is the reason why the front three are struggling a bit in absence of the runners. The midfielders are possibly holding their positions or if they make the runs someone in the front three falls back to cover. Is there even statistics which brings out how many we commit to the final third in an attacking phase or an attempt at goal?
Kenny: "We play the way we want to play. We play to the style that suits us, no disrespect to other clubs but we don't focus on anybody else"

Offline diglet

• Main Stander
« Reply #1633 on: October 7, 2018, 09:16:34 pm »
I just get a feeling that we are not committed to put players into the box from midfield like we used to do. I don't have numbers but just a general take is the runs from midfield into the final third and specifically into the box has reduced. It might be the reason we retain shape better and defensive numbers are better this season. POP, Babu others can possibly shed more light if this is true or not. If true, we need a can opener of a player like David Silva or Coutinho. I definitely do think it is the reason why the front three are struggling a bit in absence of the runners. The midfielders are possibly holding their positions or if they make the runs someone in the front three falls back to cover. Is there even statistics which brings out how many we commit to the final third in an attacking phase or an attempt at goal?

I don’t have anywhere near the knowledge compared to the usual brilliant suspects, but I had the exact same feeling today. It felt like Mo in particular was very isolated. However, I do wonder if this was a tactical decision from Kloppo. I got the distinct feeling he was pretty much happy to get a point, and as such the midfield stayed disciplined and held its shape rather than breaking forward at will. If the penalty goes in then I’m sure he’d take a bit of flak, but it didn’t and ultimately it’s a good result for us.

To put it into context, we’ve taken points off our 2 closest rivals in the last two games, after a brilliant opening volley, without our attacking play really kicking into gear. At the start of the season if you had offered anyone on here the possibility of being joint top of the table heading into the October international break and level pegging with City after playing them, then we’d all be salivating.

Onwards and upwards folks!

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1634 on: October 7, 2018, 09:42:44 pm »

I reckon it's down to our midfield. Our attacks are limited to our front three. We are missing AOC and what he offered last season. Keita may become the threat we need, but he isn't there yet.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1635 on: October 8, 2018, 08:54:54 am »
Three year anniversary for the boss

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline cricketrocks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1636 on: October 8, 2018, 09:06:50 am »
Three year anniversary for the boss
What a guy.  :)

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #1637 on: October 8, 2018, 09:36:04 am »
Having a look at which players staying behind for a nice rest during the internationals. Do you know any more?
(Just counting those that will be involved in the first team)

1. Clyne
2. Moreno
3. Milner
4. Sturridge

That's it.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1638 on: October 8, 2018, 09:37:42 am »
Having a look at which players staying behind for a nice rest during the internationals. Do you know any more?
(Just counting those that will be involved in the first team)

1. Clyne
2. Moreno
3. Milner
4. Sturridge

That's it.

Lallana.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #1639 on: October 8, 2018, 09:49:28 am »
Lallana.

Oh yes, he goes without saying now, doesn't he? I forgot Matip.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.