Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1487554 times)

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Virgil Van Dijk - IS BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER!!!
« Reply #9840 on: October 6, 2021, 04:57:19 pm »
He's playing well, just not back to his Playstation cheat code level yet.  Give him a bit of time.

Should probably say it quietly, but I think Konate or Gomez alongside him will help.  I can't see it being too long.

I feel the same for whatever reason I don’t know why, Matip has been excellent again this season but I just love Gomez and VVD partnership that bit more.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9841 on: October 6, 2021, 04:59:24 pm »
I feel the same for whatever reason I don’t know why, Matip has been excellent again this season but I just love Gomez and VVD partnership that bit more.

So do I. I think Matip is very good, very very good, but prefer the Gomez / VVD partnership.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9842 on: October 6, 2021, 06:57:54 pm »
We kept a lot of clean sheets with Virgil and Gomez together. I do feel you can see the difference in experience in how Matip and Gomez handle head to head battles with a forward though.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9843 on: October 6, 2021, 07:13:18 pm »
We kept a lot of clean sheets with Virgil and Gomez together. I do feel you can see the difference in experience in how Matip and Gomez handle head to head battles with a forward though.

They're very different defenders. Matip isn't as fast so for that reason he's had to learn how to handle a forward in other ways, which he does excellently, plus at 6ft 5 he's obv great in the air. Gomez can afford to be slightly further away and front footed because he has that immense recovery speed. Both have their advantages for sure.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9844 on: October 6, 2021, 07:18:53 pm »
They're very different defenders. Matip isn't as fast so for that reason he's had to learn how to handle a forward in other ways, which he does excellently, plus at 6ft 5 he's obv great in the air. Gomez can afford to be slightly further away and front footed because he has that immense recovery speed. Both have their advantages for sure.

I'm talking more on regards to mentality and ability to keep things in your favour when it isn't all going your way. A few times with Gomez i've noticed if he's up against it early on, his head can go and his performance never really recovers in that particular game then you see a dip in the performance. It doesn't happen often but you don't tend to see it with Matip, again most likely due to experience. Matips excellent at just continuing like the first whistle just went if he allows a good chance to the opposition or if we concede.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9845 on: October 6, 2021, 07:26:01 pm »
I'm talking more on regards to mentality and ability to keep things in your favour when it isn't all going your way. A few times with Gomez i've noticed if he's up against it early on, his head can go and his performance never really recovers in that particular game then you see a dip in the performance. It doesn't happen often but you don't tend to see it with Matip, again most likely due to experience. Matips excellent at just continuing like the first whistle just went if he allows a good chance to the opposition or if we concede.

I can't recall Gomez's head going in any games that I remember. No more so than Matip having a poor game here or there anyway.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #9846 on: October 7, 2021, 12:26:05 am »
I can't recall Gomez's head going in any games that I remember. No more so than Matip having a poor game here or there anyway.
Probably Villa away would be one I guess. but really Joe is a great centre back, I prefer Joel, he's more experienced so at the top of his potential. Gomez is still bloody young, its easy to forget as he's been here for so long and is only getting better and better.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9847 on: October 7, 2021, 12:29:13 am »
Probably Villa away would be one I guess. but really Joe is a great centre back, I prefer Joel, he's more experienced so at the top of his potential. Gomez is still bloody young, its easy to forget as he's been here for so long and is only getting better and better.

I mean the Villa game was hardly just him!

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9848 on: October 7, 2021, 12:39:20 am »

Gomez is still young, only 24, so his peak years as a CB are still to come.

I also think now we have Konate, the club are being extra careful with Gomez after his injury last year. His minutes will be managed. I’m also glad Southgate has said he will be extra cautious about picking Gomez for the national team. Hodgson would have already picked him to “test his resolve”.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Gogeqac

• Main Stander
  • Ohhh ya beauty!
« Reply #9849 on: October 7, 2021, 12:58:46 am »
So do I. I think Matip is very good, very very good, but prefer the Gomez / VVD partnership.

Matip brings that passing ability through the opposition midfield that is so important to unlock defenses (like the one to Jota against City). He does create threat with his passing, no other CB got this sort of skill in our team, not even VVD (he’s for sure the best for long balls). Unless we need extra pace for some specific reason, I don’t think Gomez will back in the team for important games. But, as always, in Klopp we trust...
YNWA

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #9850 on: October 7, 2021, 06:29:22 am »
Give VVD time to get to his best, it may take half a season. Matip is carrying him at times as I don't think Gomez can. For now, Matip/VVD is our best CB partnership. I'm not even sure if Gomez will come to his best himself, he's been OK in one game but he's not looked always sharp. Both need time.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #9851 on: October 7, 2021, 06:37:50 am »
Give VVD time to get to his best, it may take half a season. Matip is carrying him at times as I don't think Gomez can. For now, Matip/VVD is our best CB partnership. I'm not even sure if Gomez will come to his best himself, he's been OK in one game but he's not looked always sharp. Both need time.

Gomez has already shown this season that he can play a crucial part he's lost none of his pace, so why are you questioning him while making a point about whether he'll be back to his best? Both of them will need time to get back to where they were, that's just natural.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9852 on: October 7, 2021, 08:18:59 am »
Gomez is insanely good and the fact he's still so young just goes to show how good he is. Injuries are the main thing that have held him back but time is very much on his side, if he can stay fit, he'll be an incredible CB as he gets older.

Konate looks brilliant already too, just needs to get used to our way of playing, especially the high line. I think that's standard, it must take a while to adjust to that

Matip is still underrated for me, one of the best CBs we've had IMO

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9853 on: October 7, 2021, 11:35:07 am »
Gomez is insanely good and the fact he's still so young just goes to show how good he is. Injuries are the main thing that have held him back but time is very much on his side, if he can stay fit, he'll be an incredible CB as he gets older.

Konate looks brilliant already too, just needs to get used to our way of playing, especially the high line. I think that's standard, it must take a while to adjust to that

Matip is still underrated for me, one of the best CBs we've had IMO

We've got 4 really top notch CBs who on ability alone could probably start for a lot of teams in the league. Let's hope they can remain fit and in form.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #9854 on: October 9, 2021, 05:53:09 am »
Gomez has already shown this season that he can play a crucial part he's lost none of his pace, so why are you questioning him while making a point about whether he'll be back to his best? Both of them will need time to get back to where they were, that's just natural.
Cautious optimism on my part, Jill. Just that the odds are stacked against both Van Dijk and Gomez getting to their pre-injury levels.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9855 on: October 9, 2021, 01:16:54 pm »
Virg doesn't look as strong which is understandable given how long he was out for. He'll regain it with time.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9856 on: October 9, 2021, 01:19:27 pm »
Cautious optimism on my part, Jill. Just that the odds are stacked against both Van Dijk and Gomez getting to their pre-injury levels.
I'm optimistic Virgil can get back to his cheat code form because he's still as quick he was. His performances indicate a bit of ring rust which he'll iron out. He has still been very good.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9857 on: October 9, 2021, 02:44:35 pm »
We've got 4 really top notch CBs who on ability alone could probably start for a lot of teams in the league. Let's hope they can remain fit and in form.

100% we’ve got an amazing set of CBs available

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9858 on: October 9, 2021, 03:06:00 pm »
Article on The Athletic today showing that Van Dijk has seen a drop in his numbers on the ground, in the air and in his passing compared to previous seasons, understandably.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9859 on: October 9, 2021, 05:10:49 pm »
Article on The Athletic today showing that Van Dijk has seen a drop in his numbers on the ground, in the air and in his passing compared to previous seasons, understandably.

Yep.  No great shock there.  I'm not expecting him to be back to his best yet.  Think he'll start improving his game in the new year.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #9860 on: October 9, 2021, 05:33:25 pm »
Talking a good 9 months before peak performance returns I would imagine
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9861 on: October 9, 2021, 05:43:40 pm »
Talking a good 9 months before peak performance returns I would imagine

Don't know about that,he was coming back from a bad injury when we bought him,might be time to flog him to Newcastle.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9862 on: October 10, 2021, 12:42:10 am »
Think this whole season is essentially a period of re-introduction for him.

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9863 on: October 11, 2021, 07:59:56 pm »
VVD back to scoring ways. Next stop Watford!
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #9864 on: October 11, 2021, 08:04:25 pm »
Why the hell is he playing against Gibraltar?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #9865 on: October 11, 2021, 08:06:36 pm »
Why the hell is he playing against Gibraltar?

Least he’s scored perhaps he will get one for us now.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9866 on: October 11, 2021, 09:31:03 pm »
trainings match for the defenders.
6-0 now Malen scores

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9867 on: October 11, 2021, 10:41:16 pm »
I think he's due to score one of those headers.

He's gone and wasted his comeback header for the Netherlands against some randoms  :butt

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9868 on: October 16, 2021, 09:02:09 pm »
Can we please a get a calm as you like gif from today??

You all know what I'm talking about. I just laughed when he did it.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9869 on: October 16, 2021, 10:48:47 pm »

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9871 on: October 16, 2021, 11:47:04 pm »
He's gone and wasted his comeback header for the Netherlands against some randoms  :butt

No, this was his real comeback header.

And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9872 on: October 17, 2021, 05:08:11 am »

That's brave from the opponent. He actually tried to push mountain.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9873 on: October 19, 2021, 10:32:31 pm »
Is he back better than ever? Whole defence was poor but he looked below standard.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9874 on: October 19, 2021, 10:34:07 pm »
Is he back better than ever? Whole defence was poor but he looked below standard.

He definitely looks really rusty but hasn’t it been established that it’s very difficult for a player to come back to top form instantly after returning to play after so much time out?

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9875 on: October 19, 2021, 10:35:11 pm »
He definitely looks really rusty but hasn’t it been established that it’s very difficult for a player to come back to top form instantly after returning to play after so much time out?

Well then hasn’t that answered my question? He’s not back better than ever is he  ;D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #9876 on: October 19, 2021, 10:35:47 pm »
Feels to me that he still has that casual approach to his play that he did pre-injury (because he's levels above every attacker).  But his body isn't quite at that level yet, and he's just slightly off.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9877 on: October 19, 2021, 10:41:25 pm »
He got done a few times. Agree with earlier comment that his brain and body aren't fully in sync yet. He has the attributes to largely get away with it though. May well be towards the end of this season/early next that we see him at his very best

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #9878 on: October 19, 2021, 10:42:11 pm »
He was really poor but then he’s missed basically a year and come back to play almost every game club and country 
I don’t really understand why we’re playing him every game at the moment - it’s not like we don’t have options

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9879 on: October 19, 2021, 10:44:06 pm »
I’m no sports scientist and of course he is important but are we playing him too much?