Author Topic: Coutinho  (Read 510831 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Coutinho
« Reply #7960 on: March 7, 2022, 02:49:00 pm »
Fair, but that’s a fanbase who aside from Grealish probably class John Carew as their greatest attacker of the PL era. It’s not a high watermark.

I think somebody’s forgetting Bosko Balaban.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7961 on: March 7, 2022, 03:31:16 pm »
I can already see some people on this forum calling Mane or Salah as overrated/shit if one of them decides to move on next summer. Coutinho was class for us and I don't recall us letting him leave so easily. He mustn't have been that bad if we tried everything to stop him from joining them lot.

Things have worked out wonderfully for us thanks to him leaving and personally I don't like going back, neither in life nor in football. It never really is the same second time round. He had his time with us and he was great, good luck to him.

He's played 151 games in just over four seasons since he left. 39 goals and 26 assists. And that was predominantly playing in two extremely dominant sides.

He was excellent for us, he's been absolute shite since he left. I don't think that's a particularly controversial opinion.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #7962 on: March 7, 2022, 04:00:18 pm »
He's played 151 games in just over four seasons since he left. 39 goals and 26 assists. And that was predominantly playing in two extremely dominant sides.

He was excellent for us, he's been absolute shite since he left. I don't think that's a particularly controversial opinion.

I think it is at least "controversial".

He's not been a roaring success since he left Liverpool but I don't think he's been "absolute shit" either. His medal haul isn't shit, that's for certain. Two La Liga titles, two Copa del Reys, one Bundesliga, one German Cup and one Champions League.

Are your figures right as well? I think he's scored more goals in fewer games than you say after leaving Liverpool.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7963 on: March 7, 2022, 04:17:04 pm »
I think it is at least "controversial".

He's not been a roaring success since he left Liverpool but I don't think he's been "absolute shit" either. His medal haul isn't shit, that's for certain. Two La Liga titles, two Copa del Reys, one Bundesliga, one German Cup and one Champions League.

Are your figures right as well? I think he's scored more goals in fewer games than you say after leaving Liverpool.

From transfermarkt so usually bang on, yeah

Its a great medal haul, definitely. For someone who forced his way out of a big club, where he was an integral player, for a world record fee his stats are poor. He's essentially become a bit-part player, to the point that Barca have pretty much paid someone to take him off their hands. Not a roaring success is quite the understatement. If you're going to force your way out of the club, you best carry on smashing it or of course you're going to get stick. You never see anyone calling Luis, Xabi or Masch over-rated or rubbish after they left because they did precisely that.

Champions League win, he didnt start a game after the group phase.

Bundesliga win, started 15 games.

His stats with Barca sort of echo Ousmane Dembele a little bit. Both not 'absolutely shit's but both absolutely nowhere near what they were expected to be and what they should have been playing with Messi and Suarez. There's no real stand out performances, no stand out important goals, no really influential displays. Its all a bit Choupo Moting.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7964 on: March 8, 2022, 08:43:02 am »
His advanced stats since coming back to Villa are elite. Like best in the league elite and he's had a knock in the interim that dampened his impact a bit. He's probably not the player he was when he was with us but he's probably the best player in the world that is available for 30-odd million now given how much prices have inflated.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7965 on: March 8, 2022, 12:33:29 pm »
He's shown that even at his athletic peak he couldn't really play in a midfield three in our system, I certainly wouldn't have him ahead of any of our current top five options for the front three and he's certainly not good enough for a team at our level to change their system around him and start playing with a number 10.

So why are we still talking about him again?
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7966 on: March 8, 2022, 12:43:07 pm »

I suppose because he's playing well, he's a joy to watch and he was great for us.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7967 on: March 8, 2022, 12:52:45 pm »
He's shown that even at his athletic peak he couldn't really play in a midfield three in our system, I certainly wouldn't have him ahead of any of our current top five options for the front three and he's certainly not good enough for a team at our level to change their system around him and start playing with a number 10.

Just wait until we play Villa in about a months time :D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #7968 on: March 8, 2022, 03:06:39 pm »
It feels like he’s done loads of good things whilst simultaneously Villa’s form has t greatly improved (although they have finally won back to back games).

I liked him, I don’t wish him any ill will and all that, but is this a microcosm of his last year or so with us? Getting the best out of him doesn’t necessarily get the best out of the team.

Still fun to watch and if he scored against our rivals and does the decent thing against us then all the better.

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #7969 on: March 9, 2022, 10:03:11 am »
He looks good and is improving Villa.

They aren't good enough to take points off City last game of the season; so don't get your romantic hopes up.

*Let's win the league earlier!
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7970 on: March 9, 2022, 10:38:44 am »
He looks good and is improving Villa.

They aren't good enough to take points off City last game of the season; so don't get your romantic hopes up.

*Let's win the league earlier!

You never know. Gerrard, Coutinho, Ings, Grealish, Douglas Luiz. If it did come down to it, there'd at least be plenty of storylines (although Tyrone Mings would probably sort them all out himself)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7971 on: March 11, 2022, 10:04:49 am »
Another goal. The quality he has is ridiculous for a midtable team. He looked head and shoulders above everyone else in the game despite not even having as dominant a game as he did against Southampton.

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7972 on: March 11, 2022, 11:02:08 am »
Will be playing for a team with more ambition next season if he behaves himself with the wage demands

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7973 on: March 12, 2022, 08:25:37 am »
Will be playing for a team with more ambition next season if he behaves himself with the wage demands

With the effect his ambition has had on his career over the last few years, I wouldn't be totally shocked if he chooses to stay there and just enjoy football in a much more forgiving environment.

It's been good getting to see him play every week again, I've been watching Villa highlights just because he's there. I still don't want him to have any success at Barca but it's good to see him doing well elsewhere.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7974 on: March 12, 2022, 09:36:43 am »
With the effect his ambition has had on his career over the last few years, I wouldn't be totally shocked if he chooses to stay there and just enjoy football in a much more forgiving environment.

It's been good getting to see him play every week again, I've been watching Villa highlights just because he's there. I still don't want him to have any success at Barca but it's good to see him doing well elsewhere.

IF the unthinkable happens, I still think we should consider bringing him back. For 35 million, I'm not sure we'll find a better player and as someone that never really had much athleticism, I suspect he won't drop off as immediately as someone that relies more so on speed and acceleration might.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7975 on: March 12, 2022, 09:44:13 am »
Nailed on for the barcodes now they are staying up unfortunately. Still one hell of a player.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7976 on: March 12, 2022, 12:03:46 pm »
IF the unthinkable happens, I still think we should consider bringing him back. For 35 million, I'm not sure we'll find a better player and as someone that never really had much athleticism, I suspect he won't drop off as immediately as someone that relies more so on speed and acceleration might.

I really do not believe we would spend 35m on a 30 year old who already once forced his way of the club and really wouldn't improve us that much.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7977 on: March 12, 2022, 02:32:09 pm »
I really do not believe we would spend 35m on a 30 year old who already once forced his way of the club and really wouldn't improve us that much.

I think it's highly unlikely also. It's just something that I would consider in that position. It gives us a very different attacking option and he is still really good going by his Villa performances to date.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7978 on: March 12, 2022, 03:38:33 pm »
I think it's highly unlikely also. It's just something that I would consider in that position. It gives us a very different attacking option and he is still really good going by his Villa performances to date.

Sorry but that is a crazy shout. We can't just throw away £35m for fun.

Looks like a Coutinho image in your avatar so maybe you have a soft spot for him, but signing him would be a dysfunctional fit to our system.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7979 on: March 12, 2022, 06:30:15 pm »
Two things to remember when watching Coutinho playing well for Aston Villa are that i) he will not have a lot of space at Liverpool, with teams usually parking the bus against us, and ii) will not be the playmaking centre of attention to the same extent, given the presence of Thiago, TAA and others.

The third thing, already mentioned above, is that he doesn't fit nicely into our tactical setup ahead of the players we already have.
He's a good player, though.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7980 on: March 12, 2022, 08:20:27 pm »
Coutinho has gone back to being one of the best players in the league, but don’t think we really need him with our depth up front.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7981 on: March 13, 2022, 01:20:34 am »
Some absolute shite being talked in here. He was amazing for us and is doing the same for villa now. We won’t be signing him again but it doesn’t mean we can’t appreciate from afar.

I can’t understand people wanting to underplay his role for us. For a time he was our best player and that’s why we got as much as we did. It wasn’t pleasant how he left but to be honest I don’t care. He left to one of the best in the world at that time and we weren’t that. Same goes for a number of other lads who left us before.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7982 on: March 13, 2022, 07:26:50 am »
Sorry but that is a crazy shout. We can't just throw away £35m for fun.

Looks like a Coutinho image in your avatar so maybe you have a soft spot for him, but signing him would be a dysfunctional fit to our system.

To some extent, that's a fair shout. I do have a soft spot. I will readily admit that. I'm with also you in that we cannot just throw away 35m pounds and I think it is highly unlikely that we will. Hence why I said, "if the unthinkable" happens i.e. if Mo leaves. If Mo does leave, we are unlikely to be able to replace his production with one player. But we may be able to bring on a couple of different players that could help bridge the gap a little.

Outside of Thiago, I still think we lack a player that can play some cute passes to hit runners. Coutinho does that really well. In the six months he played with Mo, he set up a ton of goals for him. Right this moment, his xG, xA and general metrics are absolutely elite and up there with the best in the league. I see no reason why he could not replicate at least some of that production at Liverpool. Particularly since he has already done exactly that in the past.

This is why I would at least consider a move. We may get a world-class player (at least in this league) for 35-odd million, and he may not want to move anymore given his issues to date with his ambitious move to Barca. So, we might actually get 3-4 years of service out of a player who is currently posting 1.06 G+A/90 with an xG+xA/90 of 0.79. That is actually better than Luis Diaz while playing for a significantly worse team.

I have readily admitted that I have a soft spot here but I think purely on numbers alone, I would not be dismissing this too lightly. A player with that production is quite possibly worth double the fees being mooted, especially if they are already "prem proven".

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7983 on: March 13, 2022, 05:35:01 pm »
He is world class. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Ran the game today against West Ham. 

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #7984 on: March 13, 2022, 07:47:54 pm »
I do believe it's possible to admire Phil while 1) appreciating him now and in the past but not 2) getting him for us

who cares, he was with us, now he's not, no need for yet more transfer talk!

I think he's boss and he helped us in the past and that's that

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7985 on: March 13, 2022, 08:28:41 pm »
He is world class. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

unfortunately, he isn't at all world class.

However, as noted by several, he's still class.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7986 on: March 14, 2022, 09:46:45 am »
unfortunately, he isn't at all world class.

However, as noted by several, he's still class.

Has been the best player on the pitch in several of his games since returned to supposedly the best league in the world according to pundits. Still gets a game for Brazil and scores the odd worldie. He's no Messi but by god he makes Grealish look like a pub team #10
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7987 on: March 14, 2022, 10:17:23 am »
I do believe it's possible to admire Phil while 1) appreciating him now and in the past but not 2) getting him for us

who cares, he was with us, now he's not, no need for yet more transfer talk!

I think he's boss and he helped us in the past and that's that

Yeah I'm happy to see him playing regularly because it's fun to watch his highlights again, I wouldn't be shocked to see him become Villa's top scorer by the end of this season.

None of that means I actually think we should sign him, but it's still good to see him pulling off his magic at a club not called Barcelona.

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #7988 on: March 14, 2022, 10:19:39 am »
Yeah I'm happy to see him playing regularly because it's fun to watch his highlights again, I wouldn't be shocked to see him become Villa's top scorer by the end of this season.

None of that means I actually think we should sign him, but it's still good to see him pulling off his magic at a club not called Barcelona.
Never understood the obsession people have had with wanting to bring him back every window once it was clear it wasn't going to work at Barca.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7989 on: March 14, 2022, 11:02:12 am »
Never understood the obsession people have had with wanting to bring him back every window once it was clear it wasn't going to work at Barca.

Surely that's the reason people did want him back? It wouldn't make sense if Coutinho had been a roaring success in Spain. It would be like expecting Suarez to return even as he was winning leagues and cups with Barcelona.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7990 on: March 14, 2022, 12:15:48 pm »
He has been back for a second and already starting to figure in the goals /assists categories per minutes played. By the end of the season if he keeps this pace up he will have close to 10 goals / 10 assists in half a season. That return per minutes played will be comparable to the top 5 in the league. Early days yet but if he achieves anything close to those numbers then it just underlines why some were hoping he come back after his initial struggles at Barca. That was a year or two ago and even now approaching 30 he still has that ability to score or assist in a game.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #7991 on: March 14, 2022, 02:38:08 pm »
You never know. Gerrard, Coutinho, Ings, Grealish, Douglas Luiz. If it did come down to it, there'd at least be plenty of storylines (although Tyrone Mings would probably sort them all out himself)

I'd love this storyline, don't get me wrong but I'm not a fan of trying to nick the league of City at the last minute, it's far too stressful and unlikely.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #7992 on: March 14, 2022, 05:35:24 pm »
He looked incredible yesterday. Just clearly a level above everyone else on the pitch.

If he has an "issue" it's position. To me he's a pure number 10. That was a problem for us, because Bobby was our 10, and what Klopp requires of his 10 doesn't quite fit Coutinho's skillset.

But his class is not in question. Just give him the ball and he'll make things happen.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7993 on: March 14, 2022, 06:53:48 pm »
He looked incredible yesterday. Just clearly a level above everyone else on the pitch.

If he has an "issue" it's position. To me he's a pure number 10. That was a problem for us, because Bobby was our 10, and what Klopp requires of his 10 doesn't quite fit Coutinho's skillset.

But his class is not in question. Just give him the ball and he'll make things happen.

He didn't though. He looked good - and will clearly stand out in the Villa team - but "incredible" is a bit of a stretch. I watched almost all the game too.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7994 on: March 16, 2022, 10:14:49 am »
Can't really believe the likes of Arsenal and Spurs weren't in for him. Even United. Like fair enough if the Stevie pull was strong for him, but he seems such a perfect gamble for any of the group of teams looking to get into the CL.

Yeah, I said this near the day of the transfer. It's a wild transfer. The CL chasing teams should be kicking themselves for not going hard for him. To me, it just kinda underlines how bad nearly every other big team is ran apart from us. We are miles ahead of everyone when it comes to identifying the right talent and getting deals done.

I hope Villa get him for the £30m that gets cited. It's always fun watching a player who's three levels above his teammates.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 10:19:37 am by groove »

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7995 on: April 27, 2022, 10:30:56 pm »
It's weird how no one is in here wanting him re-signed after 6 games of not doing anything ;D

A quick look at a Villa forum suggests that the majority no longer want him permanently, especially at the wages he would command. Complaints around him being too inconsistent, not contributing defensively and disappearing in games, especially away from home.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7996 on: April 27, 2022, 11:41:42 pm »
It's weird how no one is in here wanting him re-signed after 6 games of not doing anything ;D

A quick look at a Villa forum suggests that the majority no longer want him permanently, especially at the wages he would command. Complaints around him being too inconsistent, not contributing defensively and disappearing in games, especially away from home.
Was there anybody looking for him to be re-signed since he’s joined villa?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7997 on: April 28, 2022, 02:20:31 am »

You don’t say? Haha.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7998 on: April 28, 2022, 02:21:16 am »
Was there anybody looking for him to be re-signed since he’s joined villa?

All you have to do is look back a page or two. Numerous people. And others telling us he is still world class.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7999 on: May 2, 2022, 08:17:08 pm »
It's a shame it seems to have gone a bit left for him at Villa but hopefully these last few games he can regain some form