Author Topic: What's the most recent game you'd rate 10/10?  (Read 9658 times)

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Re: What's the most recent game you'd rate 10/10?
« Reply #40 on: October 4, 2017, 03:50:19 pm »
Have you never had a console Titi :D
I did miss a couple out unfortunately....

NES
Master System

SNES
Megadrive
Mega CD
Neo Geo
Saturn
Jaguar

Playstation
N64
Dreamcast
Playstation 2
Gamecube
Xbox
Xbox 360
Wii
PlayStation 3
Wii U
PlayStation 4

Xbox One
Switch
Xbox One S
Xbox One X

Of those I've missed I think I was most gutted about the Mega CD, I'm not sure (besides the Megadrive) I've wanted anything so badly in my life!
« Last Edit: October 4, 2017, 03:52:05 pm by Titi Camara »

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: October 4, 2017, 03:58:09 pm »
Yeah I really liked 3 initially but when I got New Vegas (I played them both well over a year after NV came out) it blew it away, and 4 didn't capture the same feeling at all. Fallout 3 was a bit by the book apocalypse as opposed to New Vegas' real nuttiness.
They only had 18 months to make it as well.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #42 on: October 4, 2017, 05:22:28 pm »
Controversial choice in some ways, but what Rocket League does I don't think can really be done any better.  The game is a perfect combination of fun and challenging which makes it very addictive.

Only if they inplement a competitive mode for "Snow Day"...   :wave

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #43 on: October 4, 2017, 06:39:36 pm »
The Last of Us probably been the only 10/10 game I've ever played. Pinnacle of video gaming.
Others that come close are Destiny 1, UC4.

Offline Kuytinho

• Kopite
« Reply #44 on: October 4, 2017, 06:42:49 pm »
Vice City
Championship Manager 01/02
Pokémon Red/Blue

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: October 4, 2017, 06:44:11 pm »
Shit how could i forget champ man 01/02. That was the pinnacle of management sims for it's time.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #46 on: October 4, 2017, 07:03:27 pm »
SWOS, CM 97/98, Mario 64, Rocket League, Goldeneye, Borderlands 2 and Battlefield:Bad Company 2 are probably as close to 10's as I can remember.

Sprawling open world games just ain't my bag (barring Borderlands), hoping that changes when I get my Switch and Zelda though.
AHA!

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #47 on: October 4, 2017, 07:11:06 pm »
I don't play enough to have an informed opinion, but both of the Borderlands did it for me. So did Terraria  :P Titi is going to shit all over me for that one  ;D
The perfect one for me will always be Return to Castle Wolfenstein, though Red Dead came close, too.

I'll tell you one thing, I'm going to check out Breath of the Wild now.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #48 on: October 4, 2017, 07:11:32 pm »
Never been hugely into management games.

Why are the Championship Manager games so revered? Nostalgia, or are they genuinely still the best around?

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #49 on: October 4, 2017, 07:13:44 pm »
I'll tell you one thing, I'm going to check out Breath of the Wild now.
I skeptically thought that reactions would calm down after the initial hype. Judging by this thread it’s safe to say I got that wrong.

Really want to check it out, but not sure about the rest of the Switch library.

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #50 on: October 4, 2017, 07:18:31 pm »
The Last of Us probably been the only 10/10 game I've ever played. Pinnacle of video gaming.
Others that come close are Destiny 1, UC4.

Oh shit.. forgot Smackdown 2 and Brian Lara cricket back in ps1.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: October 4, 2017, 07:25:31 pm »

Why are the Championship Manager games so revered? Nostalgia, or are they genuinely still the best around?

Well champ man isn't really a thing anymore. Around 2004 I think the studio split and part of it formed the football manager  series.

But basically championship manager 01/02 was incredibly in depth for it's time. It was well balanced and considering the scale of it was no mean feat. You wouldn't be that impressed by it now because databases have grown and other things have been introduced but it was definitely ahead of its time. Like I said in a post earlier, you had to be there to appreciate it kinda thing.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2017, 07:27:11 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: October 4, 2017, 07:34:31 pm »

I play this hockey one called Eastside Hockey Manager and it's brilliant. The excitement you feel every year in real life when the draft is around the corner and there are all these new young players entering the fold is reflected in the game. Then after a few seasons, you have the computer-generated players and for whatever reason it's really cool to pick through them and watch them turn into superstars. Basically you have all the power to make all the decisions you wish your club would make with transfers and player development.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #53 on: October 4, 2017, 07:44:32 pm »
My GOTY is Persona 5 but unsure if I'd give it a 10/10. Could definitely suggest that even though we're now 4 years in to the current gen, it was the previous one which had a world class selection of games and this one hasn't quite peaked yet.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: October 4, 2017, 07:58:17 pm »

My recent 10/10s would probably be

Breath of the Wild
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
GTA V
Fallout New Vegas
Mass Effect 2

By no means flawless to a critical eye, but all gave me the 'thing' that I really want - consistent worlds, addictive gameplay, great design and lots of fun.

4 of those games would be my picks too, and yes, I've also played The Last of Us in the same time period, but unlike most in this thread, I just don't put it anywhere near close to the masterpiece that its supposedly made out to be. It's a good game. It's ND's best game. That's it.

ME2
GTAV
BoTW

Those three all in the past 5 years or so are as close as it gets, all 3 felt like they were pushing the envelope in their own distinct ways. BoTW, however, as good as it is, still feels as if its only a prelude for better things to come. It feels like a threadbare version of a vision that can't yet be fully realised, but one day will be. That's why its so good. The design of it allows it to be expanded on. I could literally play that entire game again if Nintendo dropped traditional hidden dungeons into the same landscape of Hyrule, and maybe added a couple more towns in a different time line. I put 150+ hours into it, and could, and will, easily go back for more once the extra content comes out.

Another game worth mentioning in this thread is a lesser known little game called 'INSIDE' made by Playdead. I wouldn't often use the word "masterpiece" to describe a game by, but this certainly is one. But because it's not a big huge budget 'AAA' extravaganza or a graphics tour de force (even though it is, really), it gets largely omitted when these kinds of topics spring up. It is a recent game, though, but then again, that's the point.

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #55 on: October 4, 2017, 08:00:34 pm »
Of those I've missed I think I was most gutted about the Mega CD, I'm not sure (besides the Megadrive) I've wanted anything so badly in my life!

was minted at the time so bought one, was shite ;D

thunderhawk was good like (not 10/10 though ;D ) but the system wasn't worth the money just for that

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vOJFcBSYHsA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vOJFcBSYHsA</a>

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: October 4, 2017, 08:22:18 pm »
Which one? The 2013 reboot?

I have literally just completed this about 10 mins ago.  It was good but not a 10/10 for me.

the original
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #57 on: October 4, 2017, 08:39:47 pm »
Breath of the Wild.
Last of Us (really special this one)
Gran Turismo 1&2 (new one looks poor as single player was brilliant in first two)
Pro Evo 2
I spent / wasted so much time on champ man / fm between 1998-2010 that ive got to put them on here in some form

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: October 4, 2017, 09:09:40 pm »
Sensible Soccer on the Amiga
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #59 on: October 4, 2017, 09:16:12 pm »
Why do these "recent" threads consist of stuff from over 5 years ago? :D

Or maybe I need a life :)

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: October 4, 2017, 09:26:29 pm »
Inside

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #61 on: October 4, 2017, 09:31:05 pm »

Why do these "recent" threads consist of stuff from over 5 years ago? :D

Or maybe I need a life :)
Well “most recent” can really mean any period, so long as you don’t consider there to have been a 10/10 since.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #62 on: October 4, 2017, 09:35:35 pm »
I haven’t actually played it, but I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Red Dead Redemption. Seems to be very highly regarded.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: October 5, 2017, 08:54:43 am »
So did Terraria  :P Titi is going to shit all over me for that one  ;D
How many hours are you up to now soft lad? My Destiny time is at 1083 hours....bet it's more than that?
was minted at the time so bought one, was shite ;D

thunderhawk was good like (not 10/10 though ;D ) but the system wasn't worth the money just for that
I know ultimately it was a bit shit and massively overpriced but that didn't stop the want at the time.

I poured over the magazines previewing it like there was no tmw. Shiny, new, "next-gen" tech! 8) ;D

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: October 5, 2017, 10:41:02 am »
I haven’t actually played it, but I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Red Dead Redemption. Seems to be very highly regarded.

Sure that has been mentioned?

I forgot it, would make my list. Love it from start to finish.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 5, 2017, 11:20:21 am »
How many hours are you up to now soft lad? My Destiny time is at 1083 hours....bet it's more than that?

1,784 hours.  :P

Oh, and I mentioned Red Dead. Love the bastard.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: October 5, 2017, 12:35:52 pm »
1,784 hours.  :P
Fucking hell! Insane! If you say the average working week is 40 hours...and you work on average about 45 weeks a year...that equates to 1800 hours of work a year....or basically the amount of time you're put into some daft kids game ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: October 5, 2017, 12:50:10 pm »
Zelda BOTW

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: October 5, 2017, 02:57:07 pm »
Fucking hell! Insane! If you say the average working week is 40 hours...and you work on average about 45 weeks a year...that equates to 1800 hours of work a year....or basically the amount of time you're put into some daft kids game ;D ;D ;D ;D

I was addicted to Farmville on Facebook for a while, and I clocked it - I was averaging 15 1/2 hours on there per day  ;D
I don't half-ass these things ...

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: October 5, 2017, 10:24:24 pm »
On the subject of Championship Manager, I loved Football Manager 2005. The first one of the franchise where you could actually view the game instead of having text commentary only. Felt like a real leap forward.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 6, 2017, 12:04:54 am »
Skyrim. Never immersed myself into a video game like that before. I still play it from time to time.
Is 1997 recently enough? I would like to add The Curse of Monkey Island. Graphics, music, characters, locations, story and dialogue ..10/10
« Last Edit: October 6, 2017, 12:06:30 am by dalarr »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #71 on: October 6, 2017, 07:29:00 am »
Battlefield 1 - Simply the Best Online Shooter I've played - each update gives it more depth and as you get better, you get hold of better weapons. They all rely on Skill - no stupid COD crap where you are given superpowers.

The lack of auto-aiming is great. BF3 was good. BF4 was terrible - fire and forget everywhere made it all a bit stupid.

The graphics in BF1 are amazing. Some of the things hoving into view - the Beomoth, the Battleships, the sight of a load of angry people riding over a hill in a wave of horses, tanks, jeeps, armoured cars, motorbikes is amazing then you see aircraft zooming in above them, boats zooming in from the sides with the blare of heavy machine guns, mortors going off, gas drifting, flaming grenades, smoke and the rest.

The deformable scenery is amazing when you're in maps when one or the other side has to hold. You start off in a lovely little village and in the end you're fighting over the ruins and rubble of a pounded land.

It's an astonishing game and one that realises all the good things that they've learned from BF over the years.

The team play and interaction of the classes is great as well. Nothing like 7 or 8 of you in a Landship blasting away on all sides, taking a church while fierce resistance pushes you back. Running through a hail of bullets to revive and save a comrade in distress. Jumping over walls and up and down to give a sniper more ammo to suppress the enemy. The assault and support classes pounding a hardpoint while people race to take a flag through a storm of grenades, heavy guns and handgrenades getting dump from low flying aircraft trying to avoid flak fire from your allies.

The scope and scale of the maps and the weather effects are astonishing. Sitting waiting for an attack as you listen and see the rain pouring down outside and stirring the puddles which are starting to shudder with the approach of a heavy tank. The fog of war in the morning that clears as the sun comes up. The dust storms in the desert as you fight to see anything - but know that the enemy are all around you. The glint of a snipers eye glass as you feel bullets spatter the ground all around and as you dive into a trench as a plane strafes then bombs you...

« Last Edit: October 6, 2017, 07:31:30 am by Andy @ Allerton »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #72 on: October 6, 2017, 08:43:24 am »
Hyper Sports on my 128k Spectrum +2 with built in tape player.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2017, 09:29:42 am by Titi Camara »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: October 6, 2017, 09:27:46 am »
Hyper Sports on my 128k Spectrum with built in tape player.

Epyx World Games on my Spectrum +2A was far superior. Log rolling, bitch!
« Last Edit: October 6, 2017, 10:41:18 am by SamAteTheRedAcid »

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: October 6, 2017, 09:48:25 am »
Green Beret on the Commodore 64 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #75 on: October 6, 2017, 11:25:31 am »
Green Beret on the Commodore 64 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I had that too I think. Paperboy was good. Target Renegade?

Truly a golden age of gaming. :D

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: October 6, 2017, 12:10:40 pm »
I had that too I think. Paperboy was good. Target Renegade?

Truly a golden age of gaming. :D

Target Renegade was fucking brilliant!

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: October 6, 2017, 12:13:28 pm »
Disaster Blaster?

Offline Card Cheat

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: October 6, 2017, 12:47:28 pm »
PES 5.

Can think of plenty that would come close to a 10 but I don't think I've spent as much time with anything as I did PES (Disgaea 3 aside)

Loved this. Absolutely hammered it for about five years and was still editing until midway through the 2010-11 season.

Picked up a PS2 a couple of months ago and gave it another go. It was weird, didn't feel like football at all. Fast, players zipping all over, little freedom of movement. Just didn't have the kind of physics you take for granted on FIFA (and I'm not a fan of FIFA) or one of the very recent PES'. I was surprised, because in many ways, at least in terms of enjoyment, football games have gotten worse since PES6.

Great memories though. Loved the feeling I'd get picking the ball up 40 yards from goal with Riise and Gerrard, bats in the stomach, always absolutely convinced I'd score.

For 10/10 I'd probably say:

SNES Mario Kart, Goldeneye, Eternal Darkness and Red Dead Redemption.

I'd always put RDR above GTAV purely for the atmosphere. I could ride around that landscape all day doing nothing but picking flowers and chasing beavers.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: October 6, 2017, 12:48:08 pm »
Fallout 4 (loved it)
Mass Effect Trilogy
GTA: San Andreas
Pokemon Yellow
Champ 01/02