Author Topic: Ben Woodburn.  (Read 94248 times)

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Ben Woodburn.
« Reply #880 on: March 16, 2021, 01:38:44 pm »
Fair to say things haven't gone as we all hoped with Ben's career so far,think sadly he'll be released if we can't sort out another loan for him.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Believer
« Reply #881 on: March 16, 2021, 01:57:29 pm »
Just done some brief research.

Now 21 years old and only played 48 first team professional games across 5 seasons.

Odd career so far and possibly shows the perils of coming through at an elite club. Had he, for example, come through at a lower league side you feel he'd have played a lot more first team football and be a more accomplished player.
The club is more invested with the player if they own the player. If the loan isn't working ut early on they have no incentive to let the player play himself into form. The leg break didn't help either when he was just starting to play well at Oxford.

Offline Bergersleftpeg

• Believer
« Reply #882 on: March 16, 2021, 02:02:43 pm »
A reminder that despite the massive rewards for a select few, the life a footballer really isn't easy. Such a shame for him.

Offline Dazzer23

• Kopite
« Reply #883 on: March 16, 2021, 02:09:22 pm »

Odd career so far and possibly shows the perils of coming through at an elite club. Had he, for example, come through at a lower league side you feel he'd have played a lot more first team football and be a more accomplished player.

Personally I think it's more a case of showing how players just develop at different stages. Ben is not the only example of someone that looks to have the potential to be a world beater at 17/18 only for time to show they have already peaked. Michael Owen did have a pretty long and succesful carreer but I always thought he was at his very best as an 18 year old. Conversely you have someone like Vardy that was playing amateur football upto 25 and was an England international a few years later

I'm not having a dig at Ben by the way, would love him to prove me wrong and go onto have a successful career somewhere 

Offline tubby pls.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #884 on: March 16, 2021, 02:16:14 pm »
Ben's progression has really influenced my opinion of young players now.  He was never the quickest or biggest and despite his good footballing brain and great touch, that really held him back once he reached the top level.

Which is why I don't think Neco is going to be a valid option as a back up right back.  But Curtis has both the size and speed to make it at the very top.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked.
  • Believer
  • Insert something awesome here!
    • Davidlloydtools
« Reply #885 on: March 16, 2021, 02:21:01 pm »
I can never figure out his position really, he's not really a forward and not really a midfielder or a number 10 so?

Offline Dazzer23

• Kopite
« Reply #886 on: March 16, 2021, 02:28:28 pm »
Ben's progression has really influenced my opinion of young players now.  He was never the quickest or biggest and despite his good footballing brain and great touch, that really held him back once he reached the top level.

And despite all the promise he show's that's my concern with Harvey Elliot.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #887 on: March 16, 2021, 02:29:13 pm »
Woodburn should be looking at the likes of Bradley Dack as to how to model his game for a 10 in the lower leagues.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline tubby pls.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #888 on: March 16, 2021, 02:35:10 pm »
And despite all the promise he show's that's my concern with Harvey Elliot.

Think Elliott is a different proposition, he proper scampers around, Woodburn was slower in his movement.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Chris~

• Believer
« Reply #889 on: March 16, 2021, 02:46:52 pm »
Elliott is also a very different type of player who's biggest plus point is his passing/creativity. Woodburn broke through and stood out due to his goals/movement. It'll be easier finding a role in senior football for someone who's creative but may not have explosive athleticism.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Believer
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #890 on: March 16, 2021, 05:43:48 pm »
The club is more invested with the player if they own the player. If the loan isn't working ut early on they have no incentive to let the player play himself into form. The leg break didn't help either when he was just starting to play well at Oxford.

I saw him play at Oxford - in one of the last games before he got seriously injured. He was terrific, and the locals knew he was. They absolutely pasted....trying to think who it was....Gillingham perhaps.  And Woodburn was excellent in what looked like a very progressive team. (Brannagan, formerly of this manor, looked pretty decent too).
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Gaz123456

• Believer
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Mortgage Advisers
« Reply #891 on: March 17, 2021, 08:20:46 am »
He had quite a weight of expectation on his shoulders as well. He was being touted as the "next big thing" from a very early age which can make or break a player. Players (like all of us) develop both mentally and physically at different rates.

Obviously his injury problems set him back completely.

I wish him well when he inevitably moves on, but he will always be a "what if?" player for me.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #892 on: March 17, 2021, 09:40:48 am »
I saw him play at Oxford - in one of the last games before he got seriously injured. He was terrific, and the locals knew he was. They absolutely pasted....trying to think who it was....Gillingham perhaps.  And Woodburn was excellent in what looked like a very progressive team. (Brannagan, formerly of this manor, looked pretty decent too).

I've always thought Karl Robinson was a good manager, he has Oxford playing some good stuff. Much to the annoyance of my brother who is a Swindon fan.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Online Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #893 on: March 17, 2021, 10:07:49 am »
He had quite a weight of expectation on his shoulders as well. He was being touted as the "next big thing" from a very early age which can make or break a player. Players (like all of us) develop both mentally and physically at different rates.

Obviously his injury problems set him back completely.

I wish him well when he inevitably moves on, but he will always be a "what if?" player for me.

Wouldn't rule him out just yet.

Ben was playing well at Oxford before he got injured. The issue Ben had was he was playing as front 3 for us in the early days but it was clear he won't play there. Now hes in midfield he stands a chance.

If we don't get into the CL I think Ben won't go out on loan and will stay with us to captain the under 23 and play in the EL if we get into that competition.

Online vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #894 on: March 23, 2021, 12:19:33 am »
Great to see Ben back in the limelight. Took his goals ever so well. Keep going, kid  :thumbup
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same