Author Topic: VAR! Video Assistant Referee & Shite Referees in General  (Read 1345826 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: VAR! Video Assistant Referee - It's not for everyone / Bit shit innit?
« Reply #15000 on: June 25, 2022, 03:00:33 pm »
Webb being away from the PL for a while might make for a better ref boss, but who knows.  It can't be any worse than it already is though.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15001 on: June 25, 2022, 03:07:33 pm »
Blind chimp would do a better job than Mike Riley, so a clear upgrade.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #15002 on: June 25, 2022, 03:16:45 pm »
All those old photoshops of Webb in Man Utd kits will have a new lease of life.

God, we all thought we were so cool and edgy with those back then ;D
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15003 on: June 25, 2022, 03:37:21 pm »
Blind chimp would do a better job than Mike Riley, so a clear upgrade.

lol...if howard webb is an upgrade then we shall all despair at the standard of officiating

names will change but doubt the standards will. isn't moss on permanent VAR duty next season?

Nothing will change. You heard it here first. The incompetent monkeys will defend their own surely.

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #15004 on: June 25, 2022, 03:48:50 pm »
Webb being away from the PL for a while might make for a better ref boss, but who knows.  It can't be any worse than it already is though.

Bad news for us….
Among other things that c*nt cost us the league in 2008 with one of the most corrupt penalty decisions you will ever see when Spurs were two up against Utd ….

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #15005 on: June 25, 2022, 04:09:24 pm »

Howard Webb, eh? the man who spouts bollocks why he chose not to send off Nigel De Jong for his karate kick on Xabi Alonso in the 2010 World Cup Final.

Despite Webb can see De Jong was not even looking at the ball, he is looking at Alonso, catches him with force and studs to his chest, and with no attempt to even play the ball.

And then claimed "I hadn't seen point of impact" and "It never crossed my mind that it was red" - despite video evidence pointing to Webb looking directly at the incident, and being quick to give a yellow card without asking for advice or input from other match officials he was linked up with.

"I hadn't bottled out of the big decision, I hadn't felt intimidated by the occasion, and I'd certainly not felt under any pressure from FIFA to curb dismissals. I'd simply handed out the appropriate penalty for what I'd seen with my own eyes, from my vantage point. And that's the truth." - https://en.as.com/en/2016/10/18/soccer/1476807082_115329.html

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CexJn5kg-90" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CexJn5kg-90</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AcIicsfW660" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AcIicsfW660</a>

Sorry, I may have gone off on one there ;D

« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 09:45:41 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #15006 on: June 25, 2022, 04:10:50 pm »
Howard Webb, eh? the man who spouts bollocks why he chose not to send off Nigel De Jong for his karate kick on Xabi Alonso in the 2010 World Cup Final.

Despite Webb can see De Jong was not even looking at the ball, he is looking at Alonso, catches him with force and studs to his chest, and with no attempt to even play the ball.

And claimed "I hadn't seen point of impact" and "It never crossed my mind that it was red" - despite video evidence pointing to Webb looking directly at the incident, and being quick to give a yellow card without asking for advice or input from other match officials he was linked up with.

"I hadn't bottled out of the big decision, I hadn't felt intimidated by the occasion, and I'd certainly not felt under any pressure from FIFA to curb dismissals. I'd simply handed out the appropriate penalty for what I'd seen with my own eyes, from my vantage point. And that's the truth." - https://en.as.com/en/2016/10/18/soccer/1476807082_115329.html

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CexJn5kg-90" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CexJn5kg-90</a>

^ and also at www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcIicsfW660

Sorry, I may have gone off on one there ;D

:lmao
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #15007 on: June 25, 2022, 04:13:43 pm »
Pretty sure this article was posted many, many pages ago.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/4376693/howard-webb-on-how-mls-is-getting-var-right-and-what-other-leagues-can-learn

He does say the De Jong decision was wrong.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15008 on: June 25, 2022, 04:24:20 pm »
Riley should’ve been fired a long time ago anyway but, after that Rodri handball not given against Everton his head, the on field ref and the VAR ref should’ve all been sacked.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #15009 on: June 25, 2022, 04:35:56 pm »
All those old photoshops of Webb in Man Utd kits will have a new lease of life.

God, we all thought we were so cool and edgy with those back then ;D

Jonjo Shelvey was a true pioneer
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #15010 on: June 25, 2022, 04:53:23 pm »
Ah ha yes, I remember now. He got fined for that, I think?

And he also told Ferguson to fuck off didn't he? Good old Voldemort.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #15011 on: June 25, 2022, 05:03:11 pm »

Didn't the Babelcoptor do it first?  ;D

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #15012 on: June 25, 2022, 05:18:32 pm »
@SamWallaceTel
Exclusive: PGMOL conference this weekend are being told that referees’ chief Mike Riley will be leaving the organisation next season. Massive changes coming to Premier League refereeing.

Exclusive: Howard Webb to return from MLS as Mike Riley's de facto successor next season, as PGMOL chief refereeing officer. Will be a handover period when pair work together. Story with @Tom_Morgs

(Expected to be in the role full time by Christmas)
Webb isn't the greatest, but literally anybody would be better than Mike Riley.
This personnel change will ensure continuity

But still, Howard Webb was a much better referee than Mike Fucking Riley.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #15013 on: June 25, 2022, 06:07:41 pm »
came here to say thank fuck and fuckoff riley you useless prick

only to be greeted by fucking webb replacing him, srsly?

can he be worse? hard to imagine

so i'll give webb a pass for now and hopefully i wont be seeing any incidents of clear cheating going on, or at the least if they do occur there is proper accountability brought to bear on those involved (unlike under riley where there were no repercussions, so at the very least in essense they sided with the cheating)

not gonna hold my breath on that one
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #15014 on: June 25, 2022, 06:12:32 pm »
Every league ground needs to fly a "Fuck off Riley, and good riddance" banner next season

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15015 on: June 25, 2022, 06:34:35 pm »
This personnel change will ensure continuity

But still, Howard Webb was a much better referee than Mike Fucking Riley.
Is that the new referees kit?

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15016 on: June 25, 2022, 06:36:22 pm »
came here to say thank fuck and fuckoff riley you useless prick

only to be greeted by fucking webb replacing him, srsly?

can he be worse? hard to imagine

so i'll give webb a pass for now and hopefully i wont be seeing any incidents of clear cheating going on, or at the least if they do occur there is proper accountability brought to bear on those involved (unlike under riley where there were no repercussions, so at the very least in essense they sided with the cheating)

not gonna hold my breath on that one
I don’t think it’s even a question. He was Fergie’s go to ref, I wouldn’t be surprised if we go back the 20 penalties a season for united. Fernandes will be happy!

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #15017 on: June 25, 2022, 08:12:07 pm »
Is that the new referees kit?
Of course not. It's a different sponsor now, clearly...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #15018 on: June 25, 2022, 09:38:58 pm »
Why has it always got to be one of Fergie's puppets? Only hope is Webb was just playing the game when Ferguson was running things because he could make or break a ref's career.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 09:41:06 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15019 on: June 25, 2022, 09:40:01 pm »
Ah ha yes, I remember now. He got fined for that, I think?

And he also told Ferguson to fuck off didn't he? Good old Voldemort.

Wasn't it Ryan Babel?

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #15020 on: June 25, 2022, 09:40:57 pm »
Wasn't it Ryan Babel?
Ah, was it? I can't really remember. I know someone did.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15021 on: June 25, 2022, 09:43:11 pm »
Wasn't it Ryan Babel?

Ah, was it? I can't really remember. I know someone did.

It was. I think he was the first player fined by the FA for something he posted on Twitter ;D
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #15022 on: June 25, 2022, 10:22:42 pm »
Long overdue Riley leaving. The fact several of the old guard are out might help start a process of reform and improvements

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #15023 on: June 25, 2022, 10:29:18 pm »
Good riddance to Riley but they should have got Clattenberg in.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #15024 on: June 25, 2022, 10:40:18 pm »
Mr 'Narrative'? I dunno. He's as bad as any of them, albeit in a different way.

He's been good to Liverpool in the past but he seems to have a problem with Klopp.

I think they should get a top overseas referee in, one used to open mic use for refs and used to working with his assistants to get to the right decisions instead of just giving what they feel like giving.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 10:42:42 pm by Ghost Town »

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15025 on: June 25, 2022, 11:01:40 pm »
Mr 'Narrative'? I dunno. He's as bad as any of them, albeit in a different way.

He's been good to Liverpool in the past but he seems to have a problem with Klopp.

I think they should get a top overseas referee in, one used to open mic use for refs and used to working with his assistants to get to the right decisions instead of just giving what they feel like giving.
Webb wants stuff like that and has pushed FIFA for more open mic and transparency
It in this article that was posted about https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/4376693/howard-webb-on-how-mls-is-getting-var-right-and-what-other-leagues-can-learn

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #15026 on: June 25, 2022, 11:34:50 pm »
Webb wants stuff like that and has pushed FIFA for more open mic and transparency
It in this article that was posted about https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/4376693/howard-webb-on-how-mls-is-getting-var-right-and-what-other-leagues-can-learn
Good I hope he does bring that kind of stuff in. Maybe he'll end up being a good guy after all this time :)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #15027 on: June 26, 2022, 12:25:16 am »
Howard Webb! Howard Webb!

Sucks on Fergies Dick!

He's a fucking prick!

Manc til the end! He's a Bellend!

Howard Webb!! Howard Webb!! Howard Webb!!

Fuck him. Hope he gets hit by a fucking comet.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15028 on: June 26, 2022, 07:50:50 am »
Long overdue Riley leaving. The fact several of the old guard are out might help start a process of reform and improvements

Only none of them are really out, they've all been given jobs within the PGMOL, apart from Mike Dean I think. Kevin Friend is the latest one.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #15029 on: June 26, 2022, 08:05:49 am »
It was. I think he was the first player fined by the FA for something he posted on Twitter ;D
That makes for a fantastic pub quiz question.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #15030 on: June 26, 2022, 08:06:15 am »

Sucks on Fergies Dick!

He's a fucking prick!

Is it bedtime prayers already?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15031 on: June 26, 2022, 09:49:22 am »

Another United man Fergie had in his pocket? Post-retirement He even used his newspaper column to dig at Klopp last year daring to question why United were getting penalties every week for a full year.

It needs someone untainted by the decades of corruption of the Ferguson/Riley circus.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 09:53:04 am by Fromola »

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15032 on: June 26, 2022, 10:08:25 am »
I often think of this one..  :o (edit: though I didn't know Benny was known as "van Persie"  :D )

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HedleO3dKOk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HedleO3dKOk</a>
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 10:09:57 am by Crimson »
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
« Reply #15033 on: June 26, 2022, 10:35:43 am »

Sucks on Fergies Dick!

He's a fucking prick!

Now while this might be nice in theory, one has to remember that the average size of a comet is 10km. So unless Mr Webb was hiking in the Sahara when the comet struck, there's a good chance other people will be affected and possibly killed. Which would be sad obviously.
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15034 on: June 26, 2022, 10:45:10 am »
Another United man Fergie had in his pocket? Post-retirement He even used his newspaper column to dig at Klopp last year daring to question why United were getting penalties every week for a full year.

It needs someone untainted by the decades of corruption of the Ferguson/Riley circus.

I might be wrong but I'm fairly sure United fans hated Clattenburg, and he was the one who gave us 3 penalties in a game at Old Trafford (including one for a very blatant dive).

Clattenburg has been a tit in the media since retiring, but I always found him to be a very good ref.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15035 on: June 26, 2022, 11:20:30 am »
Link to Ryan Babel and Howard Webb, it was Kenny's first game back.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/jan/09/ryan-babel-howard-webb-manchester-united-liverpool

And Paul Dalglish, quote from end of the article:
Dalglish's son, Paul, also vented his feelings on Twitter, posting a mocked-up picture of Mr. Ferguson with his arm around Webb, again in a United shirt.

Dalglish junior wrote: "Howard Webb MBE. Manc of the Busby Era. I am not normally bitter, as you know, but it is different rules against them." In a separate tweet he added: "Fergie has his puppet Howard Webb on a piece of string."

It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15036 on: June 26, 2022, 12:02:36 pm »
In one of the most memorable and moving passages in Your Show – the new novel by Ashley Hickson-Lovence based on the life of Uriah Rennie – the Premier League’s first black referee is scrolling through a selection of internet comments and press coverage on some of his recent performances. “Too big for his Fila-sponsored boots.” “In my picture book dictionary under ‘showy referee’.” “The penny never dropped that the match wasn’t about him.” “A Malteser Sellotaped to a bag of marshmallows.”

On it goes, for pages and pages. Your Show is a remarkable book: highly stylised, written in the second person and – although based on extensive interviews with the man himself – largely imagined. Yet the most affecting parts of the novel are the stuff we know happened. The title of the book derives from an announcement made over the public address system at Deepdale as the officials emerge from the tunnel during a match between Preston and Crystal Palace: “Enjoy the second half of the Uriah Rennie Show.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/jun/26/the-cultural-stigmatisation-of-referees-is-still-relevant-today

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15037 on: June 26, 2022, 12:23:02 pm »
Webb was also a Sgt. in SYP.  Shouldn't be anywhere near a Liverpool football match.

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15038 on: June 26, 2022, 12:25:24 pm »
Now while this might be nice in theory, one has to remember that the average size of a comet is 10km. So unless Mr Webb was hiking in the Sahara when the comet struck, there's a good chance other people will be affected and possibly killed. Which would be sad obviously.

Unless it was a PGMOL retreat

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15039 on: June 26, 2022, 01:26:23 pm »
Webb was also a Sgt. in SYP.  Shouldn't be anywhere near a Liverpool football match.

I knew he was a copper but I did NOT know he was in SYP, is this fact?!