Author Topic: VAR! Video Assistant Referee & Shite Referees in General  (Read 1347295 times)

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
Re: VAR! Video Assistant Referee - It's not for everyone / Bit shit innit?
« Reply #14960 on: May 19, 2022, 06:45:13 pm »
In reading about it the VAR-FIFA issue is due to PGMOL (surprise surprise) since their instructions to their VAR's is entirely against the grain of what UEFA/FIFA has been advising. So they would either need to retrain while in the middle of club games or just not be invited. So they're not being invited.

I just can't stress enough how continuing to employ Mike Riley to lead this charade is really detrimental to the league as a whole. You can take away VAR and it would still be a shit show as the person running it is clearly incompetent running anything beyond the complexity of a fruit stand.

It’s true that Riley’s reign as General Manager of PGMOL has been a shocking period for how our game is refereed.
He completes 13 years next month and I can’t see where the push for change is going to come from.

Riley must have thought Brexit was his chance to ignore how European leagues use referees in the var room and has used his power to instruct his men to review incidents differently. Any clear differences have not been explained.

FIFA say it’s entirely against the grain of what they advise. That’s not a small difference. I would suspect Riley has dreamt up terms like Clear and Obvious as a mechanism to protect the men in the middle as it seems they can do no wrong in his eyes. Even when he issues an apology over a missed hand ball no action is taken against the officials who cocked up. They no longer have to make a sole decision on the spot. There is a chance to get it right with VAR.

The fact that none of our referees were chosen for the last World Cup and no VAR officials this time doesn’t seem to generate any call for an improvement in how Riley runs his organisation.

Are we stuck with a group that can carry on without any pressure at all on Riley for improvement?
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #14961 on: May 19, 2022, 06:55:06 pm »
I started this a few posts back with:  We all know that was a handball. 100%.

I am not disagreeing with you or others.

All i'm trying to do is understand what logic some VAR refs might use. Especially if they are called to task to explain in private their decision within the PGMOL. Maybe at that point PGMOL agrees with the logic or they don't. We will never know. All we know is the call was shit.

we all know the saying “All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing.”

juventus put a spin on that “All that is necessary for match fixing to succeed is that observers categorically discount that possibility.”

even if you remotely consider that match fixing is possible what then are you looking for? because in the juventus case there was so much nuance to how they went about it, the majority of it would've been impossible to identify due to its subtlety, and even if identified by an attentive mind, the very subtlety of the calls would scream 'tinfoil hat' to all other observers.

just to get the conversation going you would need calls that are totally inexplicable without any degree for error in that they are clearly wrong and blatantly obvious that all onlookers cant fathom the decision made. which makes observers think this is not incompetence, it's something else - much like shearer did on motd regarding ryan fraser being wiped out by ederson and nothing given.

there are four of these in the league this season (they've been spoken about in depth and flagged in this thread already so im not going over them again) and the handball you speak of is one of them. we're not talking 'kane sending off' 'jota pen at spurs' level - that could be match fixing for all we know but even those aren't blatant enough to rule out incompetence (even tho they are certainly well above the threshold for some of the match fixing carried out by juventus, ie even more obvious decisions).

of those four decisions, 3 directly benefitted man city, 1 'declined' a decision that would've benefitted liverpool - in short, all the decisions went in the favour of one team in a two horse title race

officials can't simply hand teams points, eg juventus could be awarded a dodgy penalty but they still have to score it, so the juventus model was focused on favourable decisions that benefitted juventus to make the path to the title smoother, less difficult. it wasn't simply outrageous decisions (only so many of those before even the stalwarts say 'wait a minute...'), it was nuanced to the degree that 'soft' yellows would be handed out to players seen as dangerous to juventus so by the time they played juventus they wouldnt be eligible. it was so insidious in it's breadth that even some of those in the media were bought off to paint a picture of juventus actually being hard done-by regarding decisions, not the polar opposite, which was the true case. then you add in schedule manipulation and as you can see, it's subtle, not easy to identify in the first place, near impossible to be absolute in conclusion.

it's a long story but the short version goes the corruption implemented by juventus was discovered by accident and the rest is history. why by accident? for one it was very subtle in many of its elements, it's a very difficult thing to prove unequivocally by match decisions alone (maybe even impossible) and it absolutely relied on “All that is necessary for match fixing to succeed is that observers categorically discount that possibility.”

the italians did just that until authorities thought they smelt a rat with gambling and football, then accidentally uncovered corruption, once that possibilty was entertained and investigated it was found permeating italy's most prestigious league.

'All i'm trying to do is understand what logic some VAR refs might use'

the use of the word logic here refers to valid reasoning - factor in the possibility of match fixing and see what valid reasoning you come up with...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 09:38:27 am by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #14962 on: May 27, 2022, 02:38:10 pm »
Specific things e.g Number of penalties or penalty between x and y min of game, or number of fouls or offsides etc in a game, may lead to big financial outcomes in the betting world.

It is not inconceivable that certain refs are (at least low key) in this murky business.
I remember being shocked to read about well known names in Cricket being involved when it all came out...

If the above is happening,  it would explain how some calls are too strange to comprehend but at same time, over the course of a season, no one team is targeted.

This seems to be happening all over the place. Would not be surprised at least a handful of officials in each league, a small minority at least, use this as a way to make more money than their regular pay.

"At a later meeting, he said the undercover journalists would need to pay an additional 500 Euros (£430) for every throw-in, corner or free kick they caused.

He said red and yellow cards would be more expensive: 1,000 Euros (£850) for a yellow and 2,000 Euros (£1,700) for a red.

Hermes added: "It's not like, 'you have to lose this match'. It's not like big match-fixing. It's a small thing, very invisible.""

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-61507085
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 02:39:46 pm by macmanamanaman »
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #14963 on: May 28, 2022, 05:57:54 pm »
I just hope VAR tonight does not become a controversy.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14964 on: May 28, 2022, 09:23:03 pm »
I just hope VAR tonight does not become a controversy.

.......... here we go.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14965 on: May 28, 2022, 09:23:42 pm »
Offside.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14966 on: May 28, 2022, 09:54:30 pm »
What a fucking load of wank that teams are allowed to fake injuries when we are on top!  Every fucking game it happens - pisses me right off!

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14967 on: May 28, 2022, 10:19:33 pm »
Being reffed like a PL match vs AD.

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14968 on: May 28, 2022, 10:34:17 pm »
Has there been any lines shown for the goal?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14969 on: May 28, 2022, 10:36:16 pm »
Has there been any lines shown for the goal?

No, looked very close to me.

The ref was a disgrace.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #14970 on: May 28, 2022, 11:03:15 pm »

The ref was a disgrace.
The goal was not offside. Trent didn't know where Vini was and tried to keep the line, but he failed. He covered him for sure.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14971 on: May 28, 2022, 11:05:37 pm »
The goal was not offside. Trent didn't know where Vini was and tried to keep the line, but he failed. He covered him for sure.

Them the small margins. Proud of our boys
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14972 on: May 28, 2022, 11:08:06 pm »
Being reffed like a PL match vs AD.

We didn't lose because of the ref but it does get frustrating when refs don't book them for their cynical fouls, fall for their timewasting antics and play no additional injury time. It's not one huge decision that refs get wrong, it's lots of little ones that are frustrating.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14973 on: May 28, 2022, 11:09:41 pm »

How do we know it wasn't offside? I haven't seen one replay and i find it strange.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14974 on: May 28, 2022, 11:10:36 pm »

The ref was a disgrace.
CBS had a good angle of it and was clear he was on. VIni Jr did a great job of staying onside. Not really much Trent could.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #14975 on: May 28, 2022, 11:10:46 pm »
How do we know it wasn't offside? I haven't seen one replay and i find it strange.
You can use the lines in the grass.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #14976 on: May 29, 2022, 12:09:59 am »
Turpin was a Dick
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #14977 on: May 29, 2022, 12:20:33 am »

Trent’s toe kept him inside

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14978 on: May 29, 2022, 07:02:56 am »
We didn't lose because of the ref but it does get frustrating when refs don't book them for their cynical fouls, fall for their timewasting antics and play no additional injury time. It's not one huge decision that refs get wrong, it's lots of little ones that are frustrating.

Yeah, bought plenty of cheap free kicks in the last 15 minutes, especially the Courtois head injury one. Made subs only by one (as is their right), couple more stoppages in injury time and still blew bang on 5 minutes. Same happened to City which we found funnier. You could argue we would t have scored no matter how much longer we’d played but would have been nice to have the chance.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14979 on: May 29, 2022, 09:57:56 am »

What about when Valverde plays the cross in?

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #14980 on: May 29, 2022, 10:08:21 am »

Thanks.  Thought there might have been really close and was surprised they didn’t keep showing a replay, but that explains why they didn’t spend much time on it.

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #14981 on: May 30, 2022, 08:18:09 am »
I've seen pics where it shows Benzema touching the cross, he is clearly offside.  Never mind the rumour that the ref is Benzema's cousin!!!

Online Dr Stu-Pid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #14982 on: May 30, 2022, 09:56:00 am »

This image for me is a great example of why I think the current offside laws are fundamentally broken and have gone too far towards benefiting the attackers.  There is no way that anyone can say that Benzema is not affecting play here, and he is definitely in an offside position.  Konate has stopped his run to play Benzema offside, and has done so successfully.  As a result he is not in a position to block the cross.  Trent also looks to be stopping his run to try and hold the same line as Konate to play Benzema offside, which means he also can’t deal with the cross.  All that would be fine if someone in between Valverde and Benzema scores the goal, as Konate and Trent cannot affect that player, but Vinicius is only in a position to score because of the actions of Benzema who is between him and the ball.

The ball also gets VERY close to Benzema, and he adjusts his feet in a way that makes me think that he was trying to flick the ball towards goal but missed it, in which case there is a very good argument that he was offside under the current rules as well.  His actions at that point also have an affect on Alisson’s ability to save the shot from Vinicius, as he has to cover his front post in case Benzema gets a touch.  If Benzema isn’t there then Alisson can drop across his goal more and maybe he gets a hand on the shot and makes a wonder save.

The offside rules need to account for the fact that players who do not touch the ball can still have a massive influence on the game, especially since more and more we are seeing players deliberately making runs into an offside position to confuse defenders or attempt to get them to hold their line to play them offside to benefit someone making a later run (especially from set pieces).

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #14983 on: May 30, 2022, 10:00:24 am »

The offside rules need to account for the fact that players who do not touch the ball can still have a massive influence on the game, especially since more and more we are seeing players deliberately making runs into an offside position to confuse defenders or attempt to get them to hold their line to play them offside to benefit someone making a later run (especially from set pieces).

Benzema was good at this, he uses the current laws to his advantage against a high line and tried a few times on Saturday. That one that dropped to Casemiro being a good example. Benzema was clearly off from the original cross, but had it come off Casemiro and to him, he would have been counted as on side. I remember City scoring few like this with their cut back tactics in the last couple years too.

A clever striker/team can use it to their advantage massively.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #14984 on: June 6, 2022, 11:13:00 am »
A video of the goal (with slow-motion replay) that claims the ball touched Benzema's foot (who was in an offside position) on the cross for the goal by Vinicius:-

https://twitter.com/eurocnfleague/status/1531325975383838720

'Ball clearly touched benzema foot who was offside vardrid at it again robbed':-

a slow-motion gif of the ball touching Benzema's foot in an offside position:-

https://twitter.com/sowso0/status/1532744594798034945

^ from https://twitter.com/eurocnfleague/status/1530774099743518720

« Last Edit: June 6, 2022, 05:02:50 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14985 on: June 6, 2022, 03:16:43 pm »
That would be really hard to spot even with VAR

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #14986 on: June 6, 2022, 03:31:02 pm »
That and the disallowed goal just demonstrate what a fuck up the offside rule is, never mind VAR. Annoying if he did touch it but if you showed me that goal and the disallowed one, before VAR got involved, and told me one would be given and one wouldn't I'd have taken that so it doesn't really sting or anything.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #14987 on: June 6, 2022, 04:10:56 pm »
That would be really hard to spot even with VAR

It's not even conclusive enough, the ball often bobbles on an uneven pitch.

We've been robbed by VAR a few times this season, but this wasn't one of them.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14988 on: June 6, 2022, 05:02:24 pm »
It's not even conclusive enough, the ball often bobbles on an uneven pitch.

We've been robbed by VAR a few times this season, but this wasn't one of them.
Even if he hasn't then how isn't he interfering with play? He has tried to touch the ball even if he doesn't actually manage to.

Online Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14989 on: June 6, 2022, 05:41:20 pm »
As a general rule, such close calls should go in the attackers favour. There's no way to spot if the ball touched him even on the "slow motion". Not offside for me.
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14990 on: June 6, 2022, 08:51:58 pm »
Even if he hasn't then how isn't he interfering with play? He has tried to touch the ball even if he doesn't actually manage to.

Offside offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
interfering with an opponent by:
preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
challenging an opponent for the ball or
clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

He definitely doesn't make any attempt to play the ball, nor does he prevent any of our players playing the ball
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #14991 on: June 25, 2022, 02:47:45 pm »
@SamWallaceTel
Exclusive: PGMOL conference this weekend are being told that referees’ chief Mike Riley will be leaving the organisation next season. Massive changes coming to Premier League refereeing.

Exclusive: Howard Webb to return from MLS as Mike Riley's de facto successor next season, as PGMOL chief refereeing officer. Will be a handover period when pair work together. Story with @Tom_Morgs

(Expected to be in the role full time by Christmas)
Webb isn't the greatest, but literally anybody would be better than Mike Riley.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #14992 on: June 25, 2022, 02:56:18 pm »
@SamWallaceTel
Exclusive: PGMOL conference this weekend are being told that referees’ chief Mike Riley will be leaving the organisation next season. Massive changes coming to Premier League refereeing.

Exclusive: Howard Webb to return from MLS as Mike Riley's de facto successor next season, as PGMOL chief refereeing officer. Will be a handover period when pair work together. Story with @Tom_Morgs

(Expected to be in the role full time by Christmas)
Webb isn't the greatest, but literally anybody would be better than Mike Riley.

Webb, by all accounts, has done a great job in managing refs in MLS. This should be a clear upgrade has to be the hope.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14993 on: June 25, 2022, 02:59:06 pm »
Webb, by all accounts, has done a great job in managing refs in MLS. This should be a clear upgrade has to be the hope.

But there's no Man Utd in the MLS :P
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #14994 on: June 25, 2022, 03:00:00 pm »
Perfect timing  ::)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #14995 on: June 25, 2022, 03:00:33 pm »
Webb being away from the PL for a while might make for a better ref boss, but who knows.  It can't be any worse than it already is though.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14996 on: June 25, 2022, 03:07:33 pm »
Blind chimp would do a better job than Mike Riley, so a clear upgrade.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #14997 on: June 25, 2022, 03:16:45 pm »
All those old photoshops of Webb in Man Utd kits will have a new lease of life.

God, we all thought we were so cool and edgy with those back then ;D
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14998 on: June 25, 2022, 03:37:21 pm »
Blind chimp would do a better job than Mike Riley, so a clear upgrade.

lol...if howard webb is an upgrade then we shall all despair at the standard of officiating

names will change but doubt the standards will. isn't moss on permanent VAR duty next season?

Nothing will change. You heard it here first. The incompetent monkeys will defend their own surely.

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #14999 on: June 25, 2022, 03:48:50 pm »
Webb being away from the PL for a while might make for a better ref boss, but who knows.  It can't be any worse than it already is though.

Bad news for us….
Among other things that c*nt cost us the league in 2008 with one of the most corrupt penalty decisions you will ever see when Spurs were two up against Utd ….