Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2932560 times)

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Reply #30200 on: April 29, 2024, 03:28:42 pm »
Read that Slot might wish to use him in a more creative central role. Shades of Digger's conversion into a top class midfielder, although Mo won't have lost all his pace like John did after his injury.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30201 on: April 29, 2024, 03:35:21 pm »
i'd like to see him played as a 10, or at least if he's going to continue as a winger he needs to play more as an inside forward (as he did before Nunez joined). we should've really been centering the team around him and his threat to goal, but we seemed to make all the adjustments for Nunez and Trent (to some degree).
YNWA.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #30202 on: April 29, 2024, 03:38:02 pm »
i'd like to see him played as a 10, or at least if he's going to continue as a winger he needs to play more as an inside forward (as he did before Nunez joined). we should've really been centering the team around him and his threat to goal, but we seemed to make all the adjustments for Nunez and Trent (to some degree).
Agree.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #30203 on: April 29, 2024, 03:40:25 pm »
Edwards offering Salah an extension does not mean that it would be a great offer. Maybe he will get a contract reflecting his current or expected future status as a player. And if Mo doesnt accept, would Edwards say no to offers from the saudis ?

Lower his base and raise his goal and assist bonus.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30204 on: April 29, 2024, 03:40:37 pm »

Needs to find his first touch if he wants to be a #10, he's been full Dirk Kuyt the last month.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #30205 on: April 29, 2024, 03:40:58 pm »
Who's to say Mo would go if Edwards wants him out (i.e the money ?). The Saudi league is a nothing league, somewhere between a circus and a retirement home. That's the end of any meaningful football beyond playing for a perennially underachieving Egyptian national team.
No way Mo goes there next season. Maybe in 2 or 3 years time, maybe... In my opinion (as a know-it-all).
Playing second fiddle here might not be all that exciting either. His reactions in the derby certainly dont look like it.

And there are other clubs, some of them saudi financed, that might pay premium transfer fee and wages for an ageing superstar.
We dont really have a tradition of keeping such players, but other clubs do

But of course it matters massively what Salah wants to do, and we dont know that

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30206 on: April 29, 2024, 03:53:45 pm »
Liverpool view the touchline spat as a sign of Salah’s unhappiness at being dropped after the derby defeat at Everton rather than evidence of wider discontent.

[@AHunterGuardian]

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #30207 on: April 29, 2024, 03:56:06 pm »
Lower his base and raise his goal and assist bonus.

Sounds good until he doesn't start. ;D ;D
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #30208 on: April 29, 2024, 03:56:43 pm »
Needs to find his first touch if he wants to be a #10, he's been full Dirk Kuyt the last month.

He’s always been like that, his first touch is unreliable when not in the final third, especially with his back to goal. Can be great, can be shocking, as we saw at Goodson in the build up to their 2nd goal. It often seems that he’s thinking about what to do after controlling the ball, before he actually has.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #30209 on: April 29, 2024, 03:57:00 pm »
The only thing the club needs to consider, and none of us can predict it, is will Mo be more injury prone and miss more matches next season.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #30210 on: April 29, 2024, 03:59:07 pm »
I think what's clear is that Mo isn't that suited to his wide right role any longer. He often seems far too isolated. I don't know if that's a tactic, because back in the Bobby/Mane/Salah days he was much more of an inside forward.

If we keep him, maybe utilise him better based on his strengths now at the age of 32 than what he was as a 26/27 year old.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30211 on: April 29, 2024, 04:05:32 pm »
He’s always been like that, his first touch is unreliable when not in the final third, especially with his back to goal. Can be great, can be shocking, as we saw at Goodson in the build up to their 2nd goal. It often seems that he’s thinking about what to do after controlling the ball, before he actually has.

He'll need to be consistent at retaining posession if the idea is to move him centrally. Can't have the ball pinging back 10 yards on every attack.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #30212 on: April 29, 2024, 04:07:45 pm »
Should play 10 behind Nunez/Jota - They can do the running without the ball and he stays up top.

Play Szobo on the right or sign a new winger.

If Diaz wants out get a someone who wants to get to the byline on the left or Diaz could play on the right also.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #30213 on: April 29, 2024, 04:09:04 pm »
Not sure about this ... we either keep him on the wing and he plays like he is now, losing his pace, and we end up sacrificing a position we could buy younger in in the hope he somehow re-finds his younger self.

Move him inside, and try and make it work, sacrificing a position where we have players already.

He becomes a 'Ronaldo', moaning at being left out if he doesn't start every week, generally being a sulk and causing discontent for a new manager and being a massive burden.

Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30214 on: April 29, 2024, 04:48:01 pm »

just need a nice Jurgen-Mo hug before or during the next game, please.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30215 on: April 29, 2024, 04:49:56 pm »
Not sure about this ... we either keep him on the wing and he plays like he is now, losing his pace, and we end up sacrificing a position we could buy younger in in the hope he somehow re-finds his younger self.

Move him inside, and try and make it work, sacrificing a position where we have players already.

He becomes a 'Ronaldo', moaning at being left out if he doesn't start every week, generally being a sulk and causing discontent for a new manager and being a massive burden.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. With a new manager coming in, it feels like it could have been easier to make a clean break from our older players, even if it means Salah stays for the final year of his contract and then leaves.

Imagine any renewal will still be a large financial commitment from the club for at list a couple of years. It then depends on how much he declines in that period.

Best case is he's still performing at a high level whilst he's here.

Worst case scenario is him on high wages, past his best and either starting and being a negative influence footballing wise or sulking at not starting (if that's what he was upset anout on Saturday then it's not going to get better going forward) and being a negative influence off the pitch.

Both seem equally likely at this point. I wouldn't want us to take the risk.

We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30216 on: April 29, 2024, 05:06:48 pm »
Salah needs to bin off international football, otherwise he needs to be content with playing far less.

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30217 on: April 29, 2024, 05:15:30 pm »
So...what would everyone's minimum offer be at this point? I'm all for keeping him for another season if he wants to stay, as with the lower physical demands next year there's no reason to think he can't perform. And just the fact of him wanting to stay here would add some positive vibes for Slot's first year. But if he's open to a move to Saudi and they offer us, I dunno, £80m?

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #30218 on: April 29, 2024, 05:22:27 pm »
Read that Slot might wish to use him in a more creative central role. Shades of Digger's conversion into a top class midfielder, although Mo won't have lost all his pace like John did after his injury.

I only got that version of Barnes. His ability to retain possession was phenomenal. Wasn't what we needed though as a DM was paramount (like now) as that midfield was as open as a (insert pun about something being very open) and we won pretty much nowt largely because of it.

Roy finally attempted to address that imbalance by bringing in Ince, unfortunately he wasn't the man for the job.

Ecstatic about Mo. The injury wrecked what was turning out to be another exceptional season for him. A full pre season and a few key additions to the team and we can expect another quality season from him.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #30219 on: April 29, 2024, 05:42:53 pm »
Hope we play Mo or Harvey as the 10 and get a new winger or two for the right side. Mo and Harvey seem to link well with Nunez.

Offline Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30220 on: April 29, 2024, 05:48:52 pm »
Hope we play Mo or Harvey as the 10 and get a new winger or two for the right side. Mo and Harvey seem to link well with Nunez.

Slot runs his wingers really hard, they are his most sub'd players, so I don't see Mo doing the defensive side of it, so a move inside sounds about right.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #30221 on: April 29, 2024, 05:56:20 pm »
I only got that version of Barnes. His ability to retain possession was phenomenal. Wasn't what we needed though as a DM was paramount (like now) as that midfield was as open as a (insert pun about something being very open) and we won pretty much nowt largely because of it.

Roy finally attempted to address that imbalance by bringing in Ince, unfortunately he wasn't the man for the job.

Ecstatic about Mo. The injury wrecked what was turning out to be another exceptional season for him. A full pre season and a few key additions to the team and we can expect another quality season from him.
I thought Roy brought in Poulsen for that job?
 ;D

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30222 on: April 29, 2024, 06:07:17 pm »
Him signing a year or 2 year deal would be ideal for us really. We get a few more years out of a 20 goal a season scorer under a new coach and then we can still cash out on him if Saudi comes calling again.

Plus I really wanna see how far up the Liverpool goalscoring charts he can go before it's all over. I think #3 is achievable unless he falls off a cliff.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 06:11:14 pm by Garlicbread »

Offline faisfais

• Kopite
« Reply #30223 on: April 29, 2024, 06:13:24 pm »
Would Salah score 20+ goals next season if he is no longer the designated penalty taker?

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30224 on: April 29, 2024, 06:14:46 pm »
Would Salah score 20+ goals next season if he is no longer the designated penalty taker?

Who would take them instead? Mac Allister?

Offline Hymer Red

• With the money from the accident she bought herself a mobile home...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30225 on: April 29, 2024, 06:16:27 pm »

Problem is if he doesnt want to go and wants to stay until his contract is up so he gets the signing on fee wherever he decides to go next the only thing we have is a bumper new contract or a threat that he gets no game time next season to push him out. I cant see that happening.
This Klopp fella, hes not bad is he?

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30226 on: April 29, 2024, 06:18:29 pm »
For a decent offer id move him on, anywhere around 70-90 million. His work rate has gone, his touch is erratic and no idea if its going to be what it should be for a professional footballer or as more recently, schoolboy.
Hes just not the player he was and i think now is the perfect time to bring in someone new and whoever that be rotate with harvey for a while.

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #30227 on: April 29, 2024, 06:37:37 pm »
I thought Roy brought in Poulsen for that job?
 ;D

That's Hodgson mate.   ;D

Edit: Ahhh so Hodgson shows up when you type W... gah.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 06:39:08 pm by KC7 »

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30228 on: April 29, 2024, 06:43:22 pm »
The only thing the club needs to consider, and none of us can predict it, is will Mo be more injury prone and miss more matches next season.

Well, given his only injuries this season (and basically ever for us) came during the AFCON, when he wasn't being looked after by our medical staff, and then as a result of being rushed back for the Brentford game - and there is no AFCON during the season next year, I'd be more hopeful about his injuries than Jotas for instance

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30229 on: April 29, 2024, 06:45:22 pm »
For a decent offer id move him on, anywhere around 70-90 million. His work rate has gone, his touch is erratic and no idea if its going to be what it should be for a professional footballer or as more recently, schoolboy.
Hes just not the player he was and i think now is the perfect time to bring in someone new and whoever that be rotate with harvey for a while.

Thats just utter BS.  You did watch the first half of the season right?  Or are you basing it entirely on his games since the injury (and then being rushed back)?  He was easily the best all round player in the premier league before he left to go to the AFCON - 14 goals and 8 assists in 20 matches.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #30230 on: April 29, 2024, 06:55:00 pm »

I agree with you, as I suspect the heyday of Mo was when he had Sadio here with him. I'm not convinced Mo makes an excellent #10, compared to younger players in that role.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #30231 on: April 29, 2024, 06:55:46 pm »

Short memory. He was exceptional before that injury layoff.

The one thing to factor in is how gash the midfield has been this season which has impacted the attackers. Unbalanced, slow, ponderous with the midfield three having to "stay close to each other" (Klopp's words) so as not to expose the slow 6. A pressing team (which is Klopp, and Slot) doesn't do "staying close". That's more a Rafa style, "compact", low risk. Press is high risk, and leaves gaps, which can be exploited on the counter which is why an athletic 6 is a necessity. This season has not seen a Klopp midfield. It's been low energy, weak, flaky, wide open defensively and too slow in getting the ball to the attack. Bringing in a quality, athletic 6 who can do his job without impeding others from doing there's (ie. allowing the 8s to stay advanced), will make the attack function better.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30232 on: April 29, 2024, 06:59:12 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/knUBL6m4ZUY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/knUBL6m4ZUY</a>
[/quote]

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #30233 on: April 29, 2024, 07:07:02 pm »
Thats just utter BS.  You did watch the first half of the season right?  Or are you basing it entirely on his games since the injury (and then being rushed back)?  He was easily the best all round player in the premier league before he left to go to the AFCON - 14 goals and 8 assists in 20 matches.

It's staggering ignorance.

It's the same short term memory guff after a game if a player has played poorly (he's awful) or done well (he's a genius).

Mo was on course for POTY contention prior to his injury.

A new season, with a pre season under his belt, a functioning midfield behind him with a 6 brought in, and a manager who demands speed in attacking play as Klopp once did. That should see Mo have a stormer.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30234 on: April 29, 2024, 07:19:36 pm »
In our favour (almost) is the lure of the CL.

You would imagine any contract offer would be heavily loaded with performance related clauses as most are. We're making the right noises to call any Saudi bluff.

Maybe Edwards can ask home to call time on his international career to sack off Afcon but that's not happening!

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30235 on: April 29, 2024, 07:26:55 pm »
I'm pleased if he stays because I'm hopeful his current form is to do with his injury and I don't particularly care about the little touchline spat, although I do think any contract "offer" will be rejected and he'll leave next summer.

But a genuine question - from everything I've read about Slot it's that he basically plays mega intense pressing football with the pressing very much led from the front, and I simply don't see how you can play that way with Salah in the side? It wasn't particularly a feature of his game even at his peak. I do think if you're gonna play that sort of aggressive pressing style you sort of need every single player to buy into it or it doesn't really work. I suppose you could say well he'll have to compromise to fit in a player who is probably still our best attacker, but that feels kind of like setting him up to fail a little bit in hiring him and then immediately asking him to compromise on what seems to be one of his main principles. It's one of the (many) reasons Ten Hag's time at Utd has been such a bust - he came in with very clear ideals, found he didn't have the players to implement it at Utd and then just totally abandoned it after 6 months, and now they're a weird hodge podge of players with no discernible style who are getting worse every week.

Like I'm not sure moving him to striker or #10 really helps, as under Slot he'd still be expected to press pretty intensely I would have thought? Otherwise you're just leaving gaps/outballs for the opposition.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30236 on: April 29, 2024, 07:28:19 pm »
To answer the question posed above, what would be my acceptable bare minimum if we were to sell this summer?

I would do it for 80M. Ideally we receive more, but the question was bare minimum.

If Mo stays, and moves inside as the past few posts are suggesting, I expect him to have a good season. But I would sell at this point for 80M if it was offered.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #30237 on: April 29, 2024, 07:37:39 pm »

yeah this assumption that his ‘legs have gone’ or that he’s done or whatever is a bit mad. I always expect Salah to have a career like Lewandowski, because like him, his fitness and conditioniong has been exeptional. Sure, more pace to his game, but surely Salah has the intelligence in his game to adapt as the seasons go by.   Thats why I never bought the idea he’d actually want to go to the Saudi league in the summer. Why on earth would he? He can play at the very top for a good 2 or 3 years yet.

The form the last few weeks has been very poor, but it does come following a pretty rare occurance for him - getting injured. And before that he looked the player we know he.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #30238 on: April 29, 2024, 07:48:35 pm »
With Matip and Thiago about to go, you are looking at a dwindling amount of experienced players who’ve won big trophies and performed under pressure.

You can’t get rid of every older player. Alisson, Robertson, VvD and Salah provide a good core of older players who have won the biggest prizes. Trent and arguably MacAllister could be include in that group though I think winning World Cup over 6 weeks is slightly different experience.

Kelleher
Bradley
Konate
Quansah
Tsimikas
Gravenberch
Bajcetic
Endo
Szoboszlai
Jones
Elliott
Jota
Gakpo
Nunez
Diaz

I don’t think you can argue that any of the above can say they’ve got experience of being a key player winning a major trophy (PL or CL) that Liverpool compete for. They have helped us win cup competitions but that’s different than a league or CL.

There’s a reason the likes of Real have kept the likes of Modric and Kroos whilst building a young core. Or why they added experience in Alaba and Rudiger.

You sometimes need experience and my concern is that there’s people who would be happy to bin a number of Salah, Robertson and Van Dijk. Ultimately keeping an experienced player needs to make sense from a playing and financial perspective. Equally you can’t ditch every player who hits 30.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30239 on: April 29, 2024, 08:08:39 pm »
I'm pleased if he stays because I'm hopeful his current form is to do with his injury and I don't particularly care about the little touchline spat, although I do think any contract "offer" will be rejected and he'll leave next summer.

But a genuine question - from everything I've read about Slot it's that he basically plays mega intense pressing football with the pressing very much led from the front, and I simply don't see how you can play that way with Salah in the side? It wasn't particularly a feature of his game even at his peak. I do think if you're gonna play that sort of aggressive pressing style you sort of need every single player to buy into it or it doesn't really work. I suppose you could say well he'll have to compromise to fit in a player who is probably still our best attacker, but that feels kind of like setting him up to fail a little bit in hiring him and then immediately asking him to compromise on what seems to be one of his main principles. It's one of the (many) reasons Ten Hag's time at Utd has been such a bust - he came in with very clear ideals, found he didn't have the players to implement it at Utd and then just totally abandoned it after 6 months, and now they're a weird hodge podge of players with no discernible style who are getting worse every week.

Like I'm not sure moving him to striker or #10 really helps, as under Slot he'd still be expected to press pretty intensely I would have thought? Otherwise you're just leaving gaps/outballs for the opposition.

Slot is a very data driven coach.