Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2951606 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Mohamed Salah - FWA and PFA Player of the Year Signs New 5 Yr Deal
« Reply #8200 on: March 4, 2019, 09:23:16 pm »
Problem is he seems to be lacking his usual confidence and its showing massively and he knows it (probably making it even worse) Its not just his goal scoring although that's way off the boil , I think he has 1 in 7 at the moment, but his touch and passing are way off too. I don't know what the answer is but we really need to find the real Mo if we want to take this run in all the way in both competitions.

He was sensational against Watford and he was certainly good against Bournemouth. He needs to find consistency

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8201 on: March 4, 2019, 09:25:36 pm »
He was sensational against Watford and he was certainly good against Bournemouth. He needs to find consistency

There is a massive burden on him to both create and score goals. Its only natural for his level to drop a bit in some games. The key for us to take the load off him.

I liked him when he was playing right up top and for some reason he has switched to the right again.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8202 on: March 4, 2019, 09:28:44 pm »
There is a massive burden on him to both create and score goals. Its only natural for his level to drop a bit in some games. The key for us to take the load off him.

I liked him when he was playing right up top and for some reason he has switched to the right again.

Mane stepped up and took the load off him but Salah has been disappointing in those games. So he's got to up his performances and find to be more involved. He was atrocious against United. I understand every forward needs to  have the midfield create chances but you can't put the midfield down to poor ball control and poor decisions on the ball

He's been switched to the right again because we've been playing with 3 midfielders, since Shaqiri hasn't been involved.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8203 on: March 4, 2019, 09:28:59 pm »

I'll give you Watford but I do feel that game definitely went almost perfectly for us, for whatever reason. I don't remember him being that great against Bournemouth, although I concede that could be my memory but to be fair we didn't and shouldn't really need the best of Mo against those two teams, they suit our playing style, the games we need our top players to shine is the big games which recently have been Utd, Bayern and the blues yesterday and he wasn't good in any of those games.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8204 on: March 4, 2019, 09:32:15 pm »
I'll give you Watford but I do feel that game definitely went almost perfectly for us, for whatever reason. I don't remember him being that great against Bournemouth, although I concede that could be my memory but to be fair we didn't and shouldn't really need the best of Mo against those two teams, they suit our playing style, the games we need our top players to shine is the big games which recently have been Utd, Bayern and the blues yesterday and he wasn't good in any of those games.

I understand but we're talking about individual performances in a thread dedicated to him. He scored against Bournemouth and hit the bar, and could have had a hat-trick overall. His movement on the counter was great, it was a very good performance.

So it can't be confidence alone if you're doing it in 2 out of 5 matches. It's not as if he's not playing well and producing at all. He needs consistency.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8205 on: March 4, 2019, 09:42:28 pm »
I understand but we're talking about individual performances in a thread dedicated to him. He scored against Bournemouth and hit the bar, and could have had a hat-trick overall. His movement on the counter was great, it was a very good performance.

So it can't be confidence alone if you're doing it in 2 out of 5 matches. It's not as if he's not playing well and producing at all. He needs consistency.

I understand what you are saying too but like I said I just think he needs to be doing more against tougher teams, if you asked me to pick 2 teams to play every other week it would probably be Watford and Bournemouth (maybe Huddersfield) and not because they are shit, I actually think Watford played pretty well against us, but just that they wont go yard dog or 11 behind the ball and try and stifle us and that suits our game.

For example how do you think he has done in the rest of the games this year? City, Brighton, Palace, Leicester and West Ham

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8206 on: March 4, 2019, 09:50:01 pm »
I understand what you are saying too but like I said I just think he needs to be doing more against tougher teams, if you asked me to pick 2 teams to play every other week it would probably be Watford and Bournemouth (maybe Huddersfield) and not because they are shit, I actually think Watford played pretty well against us, but just that they wont go yard dog or 11 behind the ball and try and stifle us and that suits our game.

For example how do you think he has done in the rest of the games this year? City, Brighton, Palace, Leicester and West Ham

He was relentless against Palace in terms of mentality and he helped drive the team on to a win with 2 goals. He was good against Brighton and won us the penalty and scored from it, in a difficult game. He was better against City than he was against United,Leicester and West Ham, he was unlucky not to score.

He's had a mixture of performances. United being the worst out of that. Should had been clinical against Everton, and average against Leicester and West Ham

That's why I said consistency.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8207 on: March 4, 2019, 09:59:05 pm »
He was relentless against Palace in terms of mentality and he helped drive the team on to a win with 2 goals. He was good against Brighton and won us the penalty and scored from it, in a difficult game. He was better against City than he was against United,Leicester and West Ham, he was unlucky not to score.

He's had a mixture of performances. United being the worst out of that. Should had been clinical against Everton, and average against Leicester and West Ham

That's why I said consistency.

I think we are in agreement for the most part, you just think its consistency I think its more needed against the bigger teams. It's not that I think he can't do it, clearly he did last year I just think recently hes been out of sorts and its shown most against teams who have got in his face. Hopefully he can find a bit consistency against the next tough game in Munich and he can help us get through :)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8208 on: March 4, 2019, 10:13:41 pm »
I think we are in agreement for the most part, you just think its consistency I think its more needed against the bigger teams. It's not that I think he can't do it, clearly he did last year I just think recently hes been out of sorts and its shown most against teams who have got in his face. Hopefully he can find a bit consistency against the next tough game in Munich and he can help us get through :)

Hopefully mate, hopefully. We need everyone to perform.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #8209 on: March 4, 2019, 10:40:55 pm »
Its just another step in his development. He's still at the same level I feel and he'd had these misses last season too. The only difference is that the chances aren't as many because teams are suffocating him of any space or time by doubling up on him. When he comes deep to play in some space, our options upfront end up with the same problem and a lot of it is down to none of the midfielders breaking lines to create space. The only player doing it every single game atleast a couple of times is Matip and every time he successfully does that we create a good chance. We need that to happen from the midfield. Ox would be ideal because he gives the defenders a decision to make, either close him and leave a man, or let him run through on goal. Keita was supposed to bring that but he's still getting there and the point about getting used to the physicality holds merit. Most of our midfield options play better as a 6 than as an 8 or a 10. our best options of 8/10 are all not 100% at the minute (re: Lallana, Keita, Ox). Gini can perform in that sort of role but he's not the ideal option there week in week out.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8210 on: March 5, 2019, 02:56:20 am »
Mo is under so much pressure. Can see it when he takes shots that don't come off. I feel for him because people will talk about him when it's clearly the team as a whole that has a problem. What he needs is the pressure taking off him, what he gets is Klopp as an absolute bundle of stress on the sideline shouting "MOOOOOOOO!"

No wonder we're struggling, being managed by a cow.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8211 on: March 5, 2019, 06:04:26 am »

What is affecting his consistency though? That's the question that needs an answer.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8212 on: March 5, 2019, 06:45:45 am »
What is affecting his consistency though? That's the question that needs an answer.

Our midfield creativity dives when we come up a decent opposition. We are far to slow in releasing the ball to him. Chamberlain was good and had his off moments, but we miss his skillset this season in these type of matches. Plus hes been annomous or fluffed his chances in most of the big games this season, bar Arsenal at home. Keep his back to goal and dont get turned by him, and you keep him quiet.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline cricketrocks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8213 on: March 5, 2019, 08:11:20 am »
Our midfield creativity dives when we come up a decent opposition. We are far to slow in releasing the ball to him. Chamberlain was good and had his off moments, but we miss his skillset this season in these type of matches. Plus hes been annomous or fluffed his chances in most of the big games this season, bar Arsenal at home. Keep his back to goal and dont get turned by him, and you keep him quiet.
I completely agree with this. Mane and Firmino have to drop deep too often to do the midfield's job of linking play, leaving Salah isolated. We also throw in way too many crosses when teams sit deep.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #8214 on: March 5, 2019, 08:13:03 am »
Keita.

We really need him to play more now. Lallana's not going to cut it. Keita or Shaqiri or bust. We have the tools, we just need to use them.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2019, 08:15:46 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8215 on: March 5, 2019, 08:21:16 am »
That's low 

;)
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8216 on: March 5, 2019, 08:27:03 am »
I completely agree with this. Mane and Firmino have to drop deep too often to do the midfield's job of linking play, leaving Salah isolated. We also throw in way too many crosses when teams sit deep.
Just as bad we keep thumping long balls up to him, while he has two or three defenders on him and his back to goal. There are also no runners close by whom he can lay the ball off to.

He is expected to gather the ball with his back to goal and a defender on his back, keep control of the ball, turn round towards goal, lose his defender, evade the other defenders who close in on him, make his way into the box or to a shooting position, and have an attempt, all while evading the numbers who close in on him. It's an almost impossible task, and he does pretty well, considering.

Last season he had far more balls played into the space in front of him for him to run onto. He also wasn't so heavily double or triple marked.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8217 on: March 5, 2019, 09:54:43 am »
Just as bad we keep thumping long balls up to him, while he has two or three defenders on him and his back to goal. There are also no runners close by whom he can lay the ball off to.

He is expected to gather the ball with his back to goal and a defender on his back, keep control of the ball, turn round towards goal, lose his defender, evade the other defenders who close in on him, make his way into the box or to a shooting position, and have an attempt, all while evading the numbers who close in on him. It's an almost impossible task, and he does pretty well, considering.

Last season he had far more balls played into the space in front of him for him to run onto. He also wasn't so heavily double or triple marked.

If he is being more heavily marked, which he is, then surely that creates space somewhere else? But as you say, we are giving him the ball in positions that are very difficult for him to play out of, so that he cannot channel the ball into whatever gaps are created. And we don't create enough chaos in transition at present, nor break lines with runners, in order to present him with space often enough. Having said that, when those opportunities are being created now, our attackers as a whole are largely messing them up. The edge is blunted. Let's hope it gets sharpened this week.

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8218 on: March 5, 2019, 10:00:43 am »
His finishing is completely off at the mo ( ;)) but he is still getting into the right positions which is good. There have been times where outside the box he has got into positions that he scored from last season but looks hesitant this season. Things will click soon finishing-wise, he is too good for them not to.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #8219 on: March 5, 2019, 01:05:46 pm »

I laughed way too hard at that! ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8220 on: March 5, 2019, 02:06:27 pm »
Keita.

We really need him to play more now. Lallana's not going to cut it. Keita or Shaqiri or bust. We have the tools, we just need to use them.
And if it doesn’t work out, at least we would have attempted the logical thing.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8221 on: March 5, 2019, 02:21:52 pm »
His finishing is completely off at the mo ( ;)) but he is still getting into the right positions which is good. There have been times where outside the box he has got into positions that he scored from last season but looks hesitant this season. Things will click soon finishing-wise, he is too good for them not to.

His finishing has never been great though. So many games last season you'd come away from thinking he should have had a hat trick. It's just that we seemed to create more for him last season so the misses didn't hurt so much. Maybe it's our shite midfield or just that teams know how to stop him now.

The chances against Everton, i've seen him miss tons of those but usual he gets another two chances OR he'd score a worldie. That's what missing this season. No matter how many easy chances he'd miss he'd then put one in the top corner. His power shooting has been off ever since his injury.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #8222 on: March 5, 2019, 02:31:46 pm »
What’s happened with his curlers this season? Last season he’d be lining them just inside the box and they’d be going top bins, this season every time he’s trying these shots, they seem to be going horribly wide or straight at the goalkeepers. His shooting technique seems different as well this season

We need Mo to step up again before the end of the season. He seems to be playing in phases this season and has been nowhere near his brilliant best.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #8223 on: March 5, 2019, 02:45:46 pm »
Its just another step in his development. He's still at the same level I feel and he'd had these misses last season too. The only difference is that the chances aren't as many because teams are suffocating him of any space or time by doubling up on him. When he comes deep to play in some space, our options upfront end up with the same problem and a lot of it is down to none of the midfielders breaking lines to create space. The only player doing it every single game atleast a couple of times is Matip and every time he successfully does that we create a good chance. We need that to happen from the midfield.
If he is being more heavily marked, which he is, then surely that creates space somewhere else? But as you say, we are giving him the ball in positions that are very difficult for him to play out of, so that he cannot channel the ball into whatever gaps are created.
I agree with both of these, it's a combination of factors. It feels to me like Salah hasn't really had any of the tap-in chances against the top teams this season and that, at times, he's really been feeding off scraps (again, especially against the big teams) but I think there's also a level of adaptation that we can perhaps expect, or at least hope for, from him. As Rouge said, if Mo's very tightly marked then that means someone, somewhere else is free. I think some of Mo's best games this season have been ones where he's dropped a little deeper and created more. I hope/suspect that pre-season will a) give Mo some tools to adapt to this new challenge and b) see the team as a whole spend more time on attacking fluency again - while we have actually scored the same amount as last season, I think it's also clear that the emphasis this pre-season was on defensive shape and a bit more variation to our pressing game. I think that's come at a bit of a cost to our sharpness and decision-making in front of goal, especially on the break.

Another factor to be considered is fatigue. Mo has played almost every minute of every game and, while it's clear that we've been managing workload within games, there's been no mental respite for him. Since a very difficult world-cup he's been under non-stop and immense pressure, and never at any point had an opportunity to take a mental breather, or to sit on the sidelines itching to get onto the pitch.

However, it's also extremely exciting to think that this team has so much more to come - imagine what we could do with a bit more fluency in our attack, and a bit more freshness and competition through having one or two more top-class options to bring into the mix?
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8224 on: March 5, 2019, 02:49:47 pm »
What’s happened with his curlers this season? Last season he’d be lining them just inside the box and they’d be going top bins, this season every time he’s trying these shots, they seem to be going horribly wide or straight at the goalkeepers. His shooting technique seems different as well this season

We need Mo to step up again before the end of the season. He seems to be playing in phases this season and has been nowhere near his brilliant best.

I think it's mostly to do with him being man-marked this season and he doesn't have the strength or mentality to deal with it, it's throwing him off his game. He also shouldn't be playing wide-right in my opinion, he's way too isolated there.

Offline Sharado

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8225 on: March 5, 2019, 02:53:01 pm »
I think it's mostly to do with him being man-marked this season and he doesn't have the strength or mentality to deal with it, it's throwing him off his game. He also shouldn't be playing wide-right in my opinion, he's way too isolated there.

He's the second top scorer in the league, with 20 goals so far this term. Perspective.
Football, like life, isn't about getting what you want or even deserve. It's about appreciating what you have.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8226 on: March 5, 2019, 03:02:49 pm »
Laat year he broke the record for most pl goals in a 38 game season, that was not normal. This season hes 'just' one of the top scorers in the league and like the rest he'll miss easy chances and have runs without goals. Its really not more complicated than that. Questioing his mentality, technique, ability, anything is way off.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8227 on: March 5, 2019, 03:38:51 pm »
Laat year he broke the record for most pl goals in a 38 game season, that was not normal. This season hes 'just' one of the top scorers in the league and like the rest he'll miss easy chances and have runs without goals. Its really not more complicated than that. Questioing his mentality, technique, ability, anything is way off.

That pretty much sums it up. Expectancy went through the roof. Aguero, Kane and the rest of them have all missed tons of chances this year too.

Fact is Salah is on 17 goals and 7 assists which makes him joint top in the league in terms of scoring and creating goals. Anyone questioning that kind of form is nuts imo and you might as well say everyone in the league is shite this season too as no one else has a better record than him bar Aguero with one more goal.

Offline will2003

• Legacy Fan
  • God and a Legend
« Reply #8228 on: March 9, 2019, 11:54:20 am »
Fancy him to smash a few in the next few games. Don't have any thing to go on I just have a feeling
"We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players." - Legend

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #8229 on: March 10, 2019, 02:02:45 pm »
I’d lock this if I were you Lads 😂
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8230 on: March 10, 2019, 02:07:09 pm »
Just needs a goal and he'll be off again. The rest of his game is fine. Was involved in three of the goals today. I'd be more worried if he wasn't getting in the positions to score.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #8231 on: March 10, 2019, 02:09:52 pm »
He was fine today, nothing special but nothing to worry about. I agree with those saying he needs a goal to calm him down as he seems to be overthinking certain things which usually come naturally to him but his all round game was good and he picked up a couple of assists as well.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline BTGH

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8232 on: March 10, 2019, 02:11:39 pm »
Salah's close control of the ball this season is way off ....for some reason, he has lost confidence in his right foot.  Too many times he tried manoeuvring the ball to his left foot and lost it through a poor touch or allowed the defender time to put in a proper tackle. 

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8233 on: March 10, 2019, 02:11:58 pm »
9 goals in two home games, no goals for Salah. That's not a sign of his waning influence, it's a sign of his bad luck. Today I'm not sure he'll even get an official assist despite the fact that three goals happen because he was on it.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #8234 on: March 10, 2019, 02:14:02 pm »
He was fantastic today - causes chaos all match.
Basically our attacking abilty in a game is super reliant on how often he gets the ball
He can not score for months if he plays like that - great stuff

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #8235 on: March 10, 2019, 02:34:47 pm »
He was fantastic today - causes chaos all match.
Basically our attacking abilty in a game is super reliant on how often he gets the ball
He can not score for months if he plays like that - great stuff
This.

They shat themselves every time he ran at them

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8236 on: March 10, 2019, 02:35:50 pm »
Im still tired of seeing him blatantly grabbed by the arm as he goes past players and gets feck all for it

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #8237 on: March 10, 2019, 02:54:11 pm »
Im still tired of seeing him blatantly grabbed by the arm as he goes past players and gets feck all for it
...and is conveniently ignored by most people.[emoji85]

Offline Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8238 on: March 10, 2019, 04:10:41 pm »
Yes it needs to be highlighted. It's like a special category of foul has been created just for him, and oppo players have been told they have carte blanche.

I don't know what the referees are thinking. Could they be concerned that if they gave a free kick once they'd have to give it the fifty other times per game that it happens, and for some reason don't want to do that?

As for today, maybe Mane should have squared to him for a tap in in those final moments. It would have broken the tension and loosened his game up. Though watching the replay I don't think Mane knew he was there.

But goals aside, Mo was fantastic today

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8239 on: March 10, 2019, 04:27:23 pm »
no goals but played very well. hopefully the goals start flowing again next game.