Author Topic: Destiny 2 - The sequel we needed?  (Read 56753 times)

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Destiny 2 - No Spoilers Guardians
« Reply #240 on: September 6, 2017, 12:20:12 pm »
Ok, not being funny or anything, just a genuine question for the fans of the game on here:

what is it about this game that makes it so great/addictive?  I don't really know much about D1 or D2, but after reading the comments on here I had a look at a couple of gameplay videos and it just looks like another Haloesque shooter.  So what am I missing here?  Again, not being a dick, just genuinely perplexed.

Okay, I'll tell you where I got to with D1. Basically they released an alpha and a beta, they were both kind of similar but it gave you a sense of "oh wow if this is the early stuff, just the tip of the iceberg, imagine what the full game is like!!!" then the full game came out and it was pretty much the same, so I completed it and then was tapping my foot like.....what now?
And basically you had to stand in the same position for hours shooting enemies respawning just to get rare loot.

Expansions few and far between, basically no story and characters for the vanilla Destiny. So what here I was a couple.of months down the line, promised by Bungie I'd be playing a continually evolving game and I wasn't, I had to stop playing or playthrough the same missions again, in the hope of different weapons.

Then the raids, well.i couldn't play them because you need other people playing them on your friends list, what the fuck I don't have time to be organising this shit, I work, look after my kids etc, I just wanna hop on and play.

The gunplay is fucking great though.
« Last Edit: September 6, 2017, 12:25:21 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: September 6, 2017, 02:32:13 pm »
It was a lot more difficult to do raids im a small time constraint in D1.

That is why in D2 they have created clans and seekers. The seeker then sends out a request for any raid parties that need players and then it gives you an invitation to join that raid party. It is the nearest to matchmaking as they are gonna make the raids I think.

But even though the gunplay was excellent in D1 it was really meant to be played with other people, but did allow for single players.

Had some of the best ever gaming experiences in D1.

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #242 on: September 6, 2017, 02:37:34 pm »
Everything said about the gunplay in D1 is true. The level of detailing they've put in designing the look, the feel and most importantly, the sound of each weapon is awesome. I hope D2 is good in that aspect as well.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: September 6, 2017, 02:40:56 pm »
I'll tell you what's great, got D2 last night, played a few hours, then woke up today to have another crack at it, and the PS4 only went and uninstalled the fucker on me!, first time that has ever happened to me on and console, so redownloading 32gb again, fuckshitfuck

Offline Chief Brody

• Living the goosed life. Requires explanation. Works on the 110% scale.
  • Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #244 on: September 6, 2017, 02:48:29 pm »
It's the game of the year, though

In the year of Breath of the Wild?.

Bold claim.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: September 6, 2017, 02:56:21 pm »
Thanks for all the replies lads.  Don't have time to address them all as it's midnight here and I have to be up for work in 4 hours *groan*.  Appreciate all the feedback though.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: September 6, 2017, 03:45:47 pm »

Bold claim.
Well given that I couldn't give a flying fuck about Zelda or any other Nintendo franchise I disagree.

Offline Chief Brody

• Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #247 on: September 6, 2017, 04:22:34 pm »
Well given that I couldn't give a flying fuck about Zelda or any other Nintendo franchise I disagree.

These things are subjective.

Played a couple of hours of D2, its great.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #248 on: September 6, 2017, 05:56:02 pm »

Bold claim.

And Persona 5!

I came in to say that of course the Farm is full of people with exotics already ;D

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #249 on: September 6, 2017, 05:58:44 pm »

Bold claim.

I believe so.  Judging by many of the reviews as well, I think there's a ton of credence to the opinion.

I messaged someone from here this morning about it, I had serious doubts about after the beta which I think I spoke of on here, and about how the gameworld seemed to be built, how the character mechanics and abilities had big flaws and about what we knew of things like locked rolls.

I had no need to worry.

I think the phrase I used was "it's the sequel we've needed" and it honestly feels like a huge jump from the first game.  The core of the game is still in place, i.e the gunplay, but the way they've built around it in terms of the gameworld, activities, side missions, dialogue, character depth.....it's just fantastic.

And I know I say this as possibly the biggest Destiny fanboy on here, but I say it because I believe it to be true.

And there's still so much I haven't done in the game.

It is awesome.
Believe.

XBL:  Steevvvoo

PSN:  Steevvvoo

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #250 on: September 6, 2017, 05:59:25 pm »
And Persona 5!

I came in to say that of course the Farm is full of people with exotics already ;D

Only had two myself, the pulse rifle and the titan gauntlets with the weird claws.
Believe.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #251 on: September 6, 2017, 07:34:01 pm »
Can anyone tell me what the point of that "Ready to start"-thing is when all that does is take you to the game to watch a progress bar until you can properly start it?

Offline Chief Brody

• Kopite
  • Hi
« Reply #252 on: September 6, 2017, 08:58:36 pm »
I believe so.  Judging by many of the reviews as well, I think there's a ton of credence to the opinion.

I messaged someone from here this morning about it, I had serious doubts about after the beta which I think I spoke of on here, and about how the gameworld seemed to be built, how the character mechanics and abilities had big flaws and about what we knew of things like locked rolls.

I had no need to worry.

I think the phrase I used was "it's the sequel we've needed" and it honestly feels like a huge jump from the first game.  The core of the game is still in place, i.e the gunplay, but the way they've built around it in terms of the gameworld, activities, side missions, dialogue, character depth.....it's just fantastic.

And I know I say this as possibly the biggest Destiny fanboy on here, but I say it because I believe it to be true.

It is awesome.

Looking forward to getting into the guts of it.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: September 6, 2017, 09:14:29 pm »

I had no need to worry.

It is awesome.
You've only had it 1 night, crazy shout for GOTY after 1 night on it.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #254 on: September 6, 2017, 09:30:44 pm »
You've only had it 1 night, crazy shout for GOTY after 1 night on it.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

6 hours in, having experienced all the things outlined above, I disagree.

If you want to use BoTW as a comparison, a lot of the reviews for the game on the day were calling it the game of the year, operating under similar circumstances.

I've now played for 18 hours or so, and my opinion is even firmer.
Believe.

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #255 on: September 7, 2017, 01:02:04 am »

Then the raids, well.i couldn't play them because you need other people playing them on your friends list, what the fuck I don't have time to be organising this shit, I work, look after my kids etc, I just wanna hop on and play.

If you want to join a clan so all the organization side of things is taken care of for raids or even just fire teams for the crucible, let me know. We're mostly made up of adult gamers/parents and have Aussie and American based players so there is almost always some one online. We are looking to expand though and a few of my pals from Ireland and the UK will be joining us hopefully.  If that sounds good, send me your gt and I'll invite you. All you need is a good sense of humour and to use your mic if Raiding.

« Last Edit: September 7, 2017, 01:04:18 am by Scaryscouse »
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: September 7, 2017, 02:26:01 am »
6 hours in, having experienced all the things outlined above, I disagree.

If you want to use BoTW as a comparison, a lot of the reviews for the game on the day were calling it the game of the year, operating under similar circumstances.

I've now played for 18 hours or so, and my opinion is even firmer.
It's certainly very very good, a lot more meat on its bones at release compared to D1, so much to do as well.

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #257 on: September 7, 2017, 03:17:39 am »
not a huge criticism, but I wish there was more new types of enemies to kill.
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: September 7, 2017, 05:27:29 am »
I'm only level 10, so I've only seen Fallen Marauder and Wretch, and the Cabal War Beasts, are there new Vex and Taken too?

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: September 7, 2017, 05:59:21 am »

Nice one, if I get D2 I'll let you know  :wave

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #260 on: September 7, 2017, 10:01:47 am »
If this isn't my GotY I'll eat my shoes! Probs about 10 hours in and rapidly approaching level 20, think another good night on this and I'll be raid ready....fuck nose why we have to wait till Wednesday to get busy on that front?!?

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #261 on: September 7, 2017, 11:00:11 am »
A brilliant game so much to do.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #262 on: September 7, 2017, 11:41:34 am »
Loving it so far, Warlock at lvl 15 atm and Titan at lvl 8, Hunter created also but not played it :)

Enjoying the layout, the story seems more fleshed out now, more characters etc and gunplay is excellent as always!

Only gripe is non permanent shaders and the fact the character creation is identical, no new looks or whatever

But those are minor gripes, it's excellent and addresses everything I was bothered with previously

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: September 7, 2017, 12:07:09 pm »
Why am I in work and not at home playing this? :-\

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: September 7, 2017, 12:50:51 pm »
LOL Titi those are.my thoughts exactly. Was up late last night playing this, woke up with a headache, mildly contemplated phoning in sick, but as it's only a few hours thought I'd stick it out n then enjoy D2 when I get home. Just wish I had called in sick instead lol. Steevvvoo, will u be online this afternoon?

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: September 7, 2017, 01:41:05 pm »
Hovering on the brink of getting this.  One question:  Can I enjoy this on my own or do I have to do it with mates?  because I have two friends that game and neither are very into shooters.

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #266 on: September 7, 2017, 02:08:48 pm »
Hovering on the brink of getting this.  One question:  Can I enjoy this on my own or do I have to do it with mates?  because I have two friends that game and neither are very into shooters.
You can do most things solo but to be honest the game really shines when played with other people! Lucky for you the Destiny community is pretty great and people are willing to help others out! Certain activities have match-making anyway so you can just search for a couple of other people to play with!

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: September 7, 2017, 02:27:38 pm »
You can play most of the activities solo but it really is so much.fun online with others. You end up laughing more than playing sometimes. Anyone who wants to add me to their friends list my PSN profile is: Abz_Ibz

Just let me know u r from here when u send me a friend request :)

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: September 7, 2017, 02:59:16 pm »

Just let me know u r from here when u send me a friend request :)

So you know which ones to delete straight away? ;)

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #269 on: September 7, 2017, 03:23:22 pm »
Has anyone got any ships yet or Sparrows?

Not seen any different ships from anyone when readying up for PVP or whatever and not seen a single Sparrow yet :(

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: September 7, 2017, 03:27:54 pm »

Not seen any different ships from anyone when readying up for PVP or whatever and not seen a single Sparrow yet :(
Just got my first leg end ship  8)

Darren, what console you on?

Offline PhilV

• Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #271 on: September 7, 2017, 03:37:20 pm »
Just got my first leg end ship  8)

Darren, what console you on?

Ohhhh exciting, btw if anyone ever wants to game on PS I'm gonna be about on this for at least the first two expansions haha but probs longer  ;)

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: September 7, 2017, 03:39:07 pm »
Is anyone at Level 20+ and unlocked any endgame/legendary farming/earning areas?

I'm thinking Nightfall Strike, Heroic Strikes etc? Daily missions or similar?

I'm lvl 16 atm and just wondering what there is to look fwd to!

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #273 on: September 7, 2017, 03:46:54 pm »
I really enjoyed the Festering Halls mission some of it was stunning to look at and jumping around on Titan is fun.

But still only level 9 at the mo.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: September 7, 2017, 03:53:57 pm »

I heard Sparrows wont be common in this for now, you may get one later

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: September 7, 2017, 04:05:13 pm »

It's an end-game reward apparently

Offline stoa

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: September 7, 2017, 07:34:53 pm »
What do I do with items I don't need anymore? Is it okay to dismantle them or is there a better use?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: September 7, 2017, 09:04:19 pm »
What do I do with items I don't need anymore? Is it okay to dismantle them or is there a better use?
Dismantle them for Glimmer or weapon parts

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #278 on: September 8, 2017, 12:40:59 am »
Managed to sneak in about an hour of it last night....... It's a bit sexy. Don't know why i did that to myself as I can't get back on now for a few more days and it's killing me.
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #279 on: September 8, 2017, 01:19:24 am »

Dismantle old weapons and armour and then hand that stuff in to the Gunsmith (next to Shaxx in the Farm), he will give you weapon rewards once you reach lvl 20. Already given me a couple of nice Sniper Rifles.

I'm level 20 but still only done about 6 story missions ;D