Author Topic: The Top Six Mini-League Thread... Sponsored by TENA  (Read 346286 times)

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Top Six Mini-League and the Run In...
« Reply #1800 on: April 28, 2017, 08:27:58 am »
Yes the usual amount of games for teams in Europe. 2 games a week madness.

:lmao right

If you can't see that 7 games in 21 days is a hinderance there's no point discussing with you.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:30:55 am by Caston »

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1801 on: April 28, 2017, 08:28:30 am »
Yes the usual amount of games for teams in Europe. 2 games a week madness.
They have a congested fixture list and you can add to that injuries and a ban for Fellaini, as well as games against tough opposition.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1802 on: April 28, 2017, 08:30:39 am »
:lmao right

Keep clutching at straws.

How will we ever cope playing Saturday Wednesday if we qualify.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1803 on: April 28, 2017, 08:31:45 am »
Keep clutching at straws.

How will we ever cope playing Saturday Wednesday if we qualify.

Keep wetting the bed  :wave

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1804 on: April 28, 2017, 08:33:05 am »
Keep wetting the bed  :wave

About what? just stating that they haven't got something out of the ordinary to play. December and January are far more difficult.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1805 on: April 28, 2017, 08:33:47 am »
Think its ourselves and Arsenal we need to be worried about. Think Manu are done. Fixture pile up, injuries, tough away games, theyre toast. I can see Arsenal being more a threat but if we get at least 9pts i think / hope it will be enough regardless.

I don't think we are in the race, unless we beat Spurs, that would really change things. Until then we need snookers. I don't expect to beat Spurs, I'd take a draw to ruin their title hopes.

Offline Tiz Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1806 on: April 28, 2017, 08:39:29 am »
Well that's it they will never lose again.

People losing their heads here!

Did anybody say they'll never lose, but you discount a 24 game unbeaten run as nothing, however boring or lucky at times

So you're saying Mourinho can't go to Spurs and Arsenal and set up like that last night and get a point in both and win the other 3

Yes I hate Mourinho and United, but discount that type of unbeaten run is head in sand mentality

Who knows the effect of being 5th on Monday will be, but turn up like they did against Palace and we're done for

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #1807 on: April 28, 2017, 08:52:26 am »
Did anybody say they'll never lose, but you discount a 24 game unbeaten run as nothing, however boring or lucky at times

So you're saying Mourinho can't go to Spurs and Arsenal and set up like that last night and get a point in both and win the other 3

Yes I hate Mourinho and United, but discount that type of unbeaten run is head in sand mentality

Who knows the effect of being 5th on Monday will be, but turn up like they did against Palace and we're done for

Nothing to do with head in the sand just the reality of what happens in real life when teams have a game every 3 days towards the end of a season, fatigue, injuries etc etc.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:54:27 am by harryc »

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1808 on: April 28, 2017, 09:01:47 am »
If we win our games, I think we will get CL next season. Man Utd won't lose another game in the league this season IMO. It will be a case of how many draws they get. That Celta, Spurs, Celta, Arsenal run is tough so I can see them getting two draws there.

Offline Gerry83

• Meff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Used to be Jeff, too much crystal
« Reply #1809 on: April 28, 2017, 09:06:09 am »
Still plenty more points to be dropped by the 4 of us in the race. Not over to the fat lady sings and all that...

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1810 on: April 28, 2017, 09:18:07 am »
thread is hilarious  ;D
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1811 on: April 28, 2017, 09:21:05 am »
In truth if we're all honest with ourselves this Liverpool squad lack the winning mentality and Liverpool Fc have for years and years. We the run in we've had it should be a dream run in but we struggle against teams we should beat.

Losing to Palace at home isn't good enough and even though our fixtures are easier on paper than the other teams in the race for top 4 I am not so confident we will make it.

As a team we lack winners and I am hoping we finish in the top 4 to increase our chances of buying some. A decent keeper will do for starters.

We need to beat Watford and take it a game at a time but Monday is a must win game now after the Place defeat.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1812 on: April 28, 2017, 09:24:55 am »
Main point is: We are No longer in control of the destiny of the 4th placing presently.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #1813 on: April 28, 2017, 09:41:02 am »

Why are people so sure that we won't get a result against West Ham? Are they suddenly good? Or without a manager that is dead man walking? And they have nothing to fight for. I just don't see us stumbling there.

Southampton will be the much tougher match for us.

You have just listed the main reasons as to why we will probably drop points against West Ham away. They are not good which makes it more worrying.

At least Southampton will try play a bit in our home game.

“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1814 on: April 28, 2017, 09:47:25 am »
Why are people so sure that we won't get a result against West Ham? Are they suddenly good? Or without a manager that is dead man walking? And they have nothing to fight for. I just don't see us stumbling there.

Southampton will be the much tougher match for us.

You wouldn't of thought we would lose to Palace at home but we did.

Don't see how any of us can be confident of us beating any team lower that 6th in the league.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1815 on: April 28, 2017, 09:50:11 am »
Think we will go West Ham and win and beat Boro at home it's the other two that are dogey for me.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #1816 on: April 28, 2017, 09:51:42 am »
Main point is: We are No longer in control of the destiny of the 4th placing presently.
Coulda woulda shoulda, I know, but starting with the bleedingly obvious, if Benteke was still on our bench last week, we would have won that, plus a couple of the Mane-less games as well I suspect. a 9 point swing and we are 2nd. The race would be on. Instead, we had a windonw where we made a profit. We threw away a fiver and found 50p.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1817 on: April 28, 2017, 09:53:42 am »
Coulda woulda shoulda, I know, but starting with the bleedingly obvious, if Benteke was still on our bench last week, we would have won that, plus a couple of the Mane-less games as well I suspect. a 9 point swing and we are 2nd. The race would be on. Instead, we had a windonw where we made a profit. We threw away a fiver and found 50p.

Left ourselves short at the back not the other end.

Offline Stevo79

• Kopite
« Reply #1818 on: April 28, 2017, 09:55:06 am »
With Lallana coming back in it gives us another option, and I can see us taking nine points at least from the remaining four games.

Arsenal look dreadful at the moment and Utd's run-in is terrible, therefore I can see us finishing comfortably in the top four, with a game to spare.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:37:41 am by Stevo79 »

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1819 on: April 28, 2017, 09:57:37 am »
About what? just stating that they haven't got something out of the ordinary to play. December and January are far more difficult.

There are  2 points that you miss. Man Utd because of their squad size are better equipped than most sides to oversee the Dec-Jan fixture where all teams are playing the same number of games. Their April- May fixture list is unique to them allowing more rest days to their opponents. Moreover, it is further into the season with more injuries and bans to contend with. Their squad is truly tested. I am truly not concerned with them. Arsenal are more of a threat but I feel that they have too much ground to make up. Man City will also drop points. Ultimately, it is ours to throw away. If we cannot get 3 wins and a draw( get that and I think 3rd is a strong possibility), then, quite frankly, we do not deserve to play Champs league. Only ourselves to blame. Need to take it one game at a time and never mind what everyone else is doing.

Offline markedasred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1820 on: April 28, 2017, 10:00:56 am »
With Lallana coming back in it gives us another option, and I can see us taking nine points at least from the remaining three games.

Arsenal look dreadful at the moment and Utd's run-in is terrible, therefore I can see us finishing comfortably in the top four, with a game to spare.
Pray, do tell of these magicall extra points I know not of.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1821 on: April 28, 2017, 10:01:22 am »
We are lying 3rd with 4 games to go. Would any of you swop places with the 3 teams below us ??? I know I wouldn't.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1822 on: April 28, 2017, 10:02:24 am »

They're capable of doing that of course.  they could win at Arsenal but equally they could draw one of the others that you'd expect them to win. Three wins and two draws for them seems fairly realistic meaning (I think) we'd need ten from our last four. I still think that's achievable. Palace were one of the form teams in the League, a different kettle of fish to anyone else we have to play. We might fall short but and if we do its down to us, not United pulling off some miraculous run.

Someone said yesterday that in this epic 24 match unbeaten run of there's they've taken a whole 3 points more than we have. Not bad from us given the January horror show.  Take a look back at the opening post here where we'd be 6th if the teams below is won their games in hand. Since then we've actually improved our position on City and Arsenal and are only marginally worse off against United. Fair play to Spurs by the way, they've really pulled away from the teams below them.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1823 on: April 28, 2017, 10:04:00 am »
There are  2 points that you miss. Man Utd because of their squad size are better equipped than most sides to oversee the Dec-Jan fixture where all teams are playing the same number of games. Their April- May fixture list is unique to them allowing more rest days to their opponents. Moreover, it is further into the season with more injuries and bans to contend with. Their squad is truly tested. I am truly not concerned with them. Arsenal are more of a threat but I feel that they have too much ground to make up. Man City will also drop points. Ultimately, it is ours to throw away. If we cannot get 3 wins and a draw( get that and I think 3rd is a strong possibility), then, quite frankly, we do not deserve to play Champs league. Only ourselves to blame. Need to take it one game at a time and never mind what everyone else is doing.

If we get 3 wins and a draw I think we will aswell but think Man City will get 3rd.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #1824 on: April 28, 2017, 10:33:42 am »
They're due a defeat then...

Law of Averages and all that

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1825 on: April 28, 2017, 10:55:18 am »
If we get 3 wins and a draw I think we will aswell but think Man City will get 3rd.
Third would be great but so would fourth, its us and City for those last two top four places either way, in my opinion.

Offline _Redman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1826 on: April 28, 2017, 11:09:18 am »
i knew we were gonna struggle as soon as i saw Mane injured against Everton. He is so important especially when we have to play lower teams. Add to that that we had to change the formation up-front and take Firmino out of the middle. Let's see now Lallana is coming back if Klopp switches back on that (Origi out, Lallana in, Firmino in the middle)

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1827 on: April 28, 2017, 12:02:05 pm »
i knew we were gonna struggle as soon as i saw Mane injured against Everton. He is so important especially when we have to play lower teams. Add to that that we had to change the formation up-front and take Firmino out of the middle. Let's see now Lallana is coming back if Klopp switches back on that (Origi out, Lallana in, Firmino in the middle)
Since Everton we've won two drawn one and lost one. The team that beat us also beat Chelsea.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1828 on: April 28, 2017, 01:05:32 pm »
Ive just noticed United play Arsenal away after Celta Vigo away and Spurs away after the return leg at OT. Massive two weeks ahead, where top 4 will likely be decided. We need to win our two games and hope they drop points in both games, which is highly possible. Ideally, a draw with Arsenal and defeat to Spurs. Which is probably the two most likely results in my opinion, maybe a draw with Spurs if Spurs have an off day in front of goal. At best, they get 4 points in my opinion. Big if, but it means if we win all our games, we finish above them.

Come on you reds!

Offline KennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1829 on: April 28, 2017, 01:36:46 pm »
We are lying 3rd with 4 games to go. Would any of you swop places with the 3 teams below us ??? I know I wouldn't.

I fancy us for top 4 but i'd rather be in City's position myself.

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1830 on: April 28, 2017, 01:46:40 pm »
Interesting stats prediction on the FT (google the link to avoid the paywall):

https://www.ft.com/prem-predict

74% chance of top 4 (3rd or 4th with a projected 75 points), also shows some interesting underlying numbers on expected goals, etc.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1831 on: April 28, 2017, 02:29:52 pm »
Max points available:

Us 78
City 80
Manure 79 or 77 or 76
Arse 78 or 76 or 75

But not looking at maximum points - and factoring in that ManU/Arse match - those are the numbers. That's why winning all 4 puts in really good shape.

The most likely scenario is that 3 wins and 1 draw would get us in - but as noted we are really relying on the other teams to assist - Spurs specifically. Even draws in the Spurs games against both opponents would be a good result.

Finally - ManU and their billion dollar squad - is feeling the pressure of injuries and suspensions. They have 7 games in 21 days as well. No Pogba (couple of games), Mata (season), Ibra (season), Rojo (season), or Fellaini (3 games) - but it's scary that they still have a good bit of "talent" available.

Arsenal may now be without Koschielny after his knee injury at least for the Spurs game. Already without Mustafi.

Offline NO COUTINHO

• Main Stander
« Reply #1832 on: April 28, 2017, 02:57:02 pm »
http://imgur.com/a/iVYoN

latest odds/combinations.
Barcelona BEATEN, Liverpool TRIUMPHANT, Messi MASHED on Merseyside

Offline Adz LFC

• Kopite
  • Believer. 19 & 6
« Reply #1833 on: April 28, 2017, 03:03:34 pm »
Feeling a bit more positive after Sunday and despite it now being out of our hands, I think 3 wins from our final 4 will probably be enough (if we can't at least achieve this we've got nobody to blame but ourselves)

I'd be surprised if City ended up dropping enough points with what looks a favourable run in for them, but here's hoping anyway. That leaves ourselves, Mancs and Arsenal possibly vying for one place and having a look at their remaining fixtures...

Mancs
v Swansea (H) 3
v Celta Vigo (A) EL
v Arsenal (A) 1
v Celta Vigo (H) EL
v Spurs (A) 0
v Saints (A) 3
v Palace (H) 3
3-1-1 = 10 points and a final total of 74 points

Arsenal
v Spurs (A) 1
v Mancs (H) 1
v Saints (A) 3
v Stoke (A) 3
v Sunderland (H) 3
v Everton (H) 3
4-2-0 = 14 points and a final total of 74 points

Assuming they both win every game and only drop points v each other + away at Spurs (I know I know, relying on Spurs! But potentially still in a title race? Last ever game v both teams at WHL and I actually gave Arsenal a point there!) I don't think the above is completely unrealistic (probably being pessimistic from our point of view as well). Then throw in factors such as EL, other games in hand, injuries, suspensions etc. All permutations at this point, but 3 wins from our final 4 would see us finish on 75 points. Even 2 wins and 2 draws would see us match those totals of 74 points (current GD is LFC +28, MU +26, ARS +24... kinell it's close!)

In an ideal world we win our remaining 4 games at a canter, but anybody who supports us knows it'll likely take a Kop end stoppage time winner v Boro to get us over the line! But while we've still got a chance we all have to believe! Who cares how we do it anyway! Oh and fuck being negative, save that for if we don't actually do it.

Up the fucking Reds :scarf
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:25:06 pm by Adz LFC »
JFT97

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1834 on: April 28, 2017, 03:36:41 pm »
Being fair - we should just stop talking about Manchester City unless and until they drop more points. It's interesting to have them in the mix just for viewing purposes - but we really are fighting manu and Arsenal.

As noted over and over - come Monday evening we will have a much much clearer picture of what's happening.

Offline markedasred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1835 on: April 28, 2017, 04:17:20 pm »
This will we won't we is quite exciting isn't it. I just hope the players feel the fire under their arses for this run in. For some of them it could be the difference between going up for sale and being kept.

Online Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1836 on: April 28, 2017, 04:27:19 pm »
Feel if we're still in the top-4 by Monday, we'll push on and do it

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1837 on: April 28, 2017, 05:03:06 pm »
I think if you beat Watford you're there. Everything else will fall in place. Its the type of win a side chasing top 4 gets to shut the door on the others. On the other hand, if you lose at Watford I think United get 4th, it puts them in a situation where draws are enough and no one does 0-0 better than Mourinho.
We've all got big games this weekend.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #1838 on: April 28, 2017, 05:32:29 pm »
The trouble is that Palace was also that kind of game, and we were a goal up to boot.  That's why the board has been so wobbly this past week I reckon.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1839 on: April 28, 2017, 05:37:19 pm »
The trouble is that Palace was also that kind of game, and we were a goal up to boot.  That's why the board has been so wobbly this past week I reckon.

Theres probably good reason to panic, but what do you expect, to get top 4 without winning any games? At some stage youll need to stop worrying about what other people are doing and just win a couple of football matches, get the points, and thatll be that. If you dont, then you dont deserve to get there, because another team would have got more points.