Author Topic: Liverpool 0 - S'hampton 1 [0-2 Aggregate]  (Read 61137 times)

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool 0 - S'hampton 1 [0-2 Aggregate]
« Reply #720 on: January 25, 2017, 11:35:08 pm »
I'll probably get torn to shreds here but, even though I like the lad and he's a true professional and want him to succeed no matter what, he simply isn't good enough to play the role he is playing at the moment. I'd argue he isn't good enough to start in our midfield, simply said we should be thriving for better players.

I think he's perfect in a midfield trio playing the 'box to box' role, alongside a Coutinho and say a Gerrard a couple seasons ago. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't go as far as saying he's not good enough to start our midfield, I'd pick him first in that midfield purely based on his athleticism; he's outstanding at providing support for both attack and defence, albeit the unglamorous side of both and I think it's easy to overlook that. But we're Liverpool fans, with a subconscious snobbery to criticise midfielders because we were blessed with the greatest box to box midfielder ever. Our standards will always be high, but in recent games our midfield hasn't looked as balanced and free flowing as it was earlier in the season (as a few posters have alluded to already).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 11:36:49 pm by Broad Spectrum »

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #721 on: January 25, 2017, 11:35:44 pm »
Its embarrassing how much vile is directed at Sturridge.
Lallana, Firminho and Hendo together prob had less chances then Sturridge in that game - yes everyone played bad, but at least Sturridge  frequently got into good goal scoring chances for us, what did his teammates do?
He wasn't the worse player on our side by a long stretch

He's not half the player he was unfortunately, however he certainly wasn't the biggest problem we had tonight, just think he's looked out of place in Klopps teams and half the posters on here will target him if he doesn't score.

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #722 on: January 25, 2017, 11:35:46 pm »
I think this idea of the players being worn out is ridiculous, at least on the pitch.
Southampton have played more games than us this season-and looked fresher.

January has been an awful month for us. Some nettles need to be grasped, Harry Kane has 13 goals in 16 PL games this season, Daniel Sturridge has 13 goals in his last 52 PL apps (over last 3 seasons). We have missed Mane, the squad needs to be able to ride his loss, and have someone in Sturridge's place. But, I don't think we should rush into January panic- buying.

There is still much to pay for in the FA Cup, CL spots, and an EL spot. Of course I am disappointed, but in the grand scheme of things, at the end of the season, I do not think that a LC final appearance would have defined our season.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #723 on: January 25, 2017, 11:36:55 pm »
I'll probably get torn to shreds here but, even though I like the lad and he's a true professional and want him to succeed no matter what, he simply isn't good enough to play the role he is playing at the moment. I'd argue he isn't good enough to start in our midfield, simply said we should be thriving for better players.

I think I half agree. In the recent past we've had people like Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano as our 'main men' in the middle and I don't think he is ever going to be at that level. But on the other hand he has the range to his play that if you took him out of the spotlight a little he's able to play a very effective 'second fiddle' to each of those types of players. He can be a box to box player in front of a defensive player like Masch, a 'minder' for a passer like Alonso or a continuity/link man behind a dynamic AM like Gerrard. Playing one of those 'support' roles I think he is comfortably good enough to play in a genuinely title challenging team.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #724 on: January 25, 2017, 11:37:08 pm »
Credit to Southampton - they thoroughly deserved it and in fact, 2-0 on aggregate flatters us.

Persisting with the likes of Emre Can just isn't going to do the business, I can see why Brendan didn't rate him at all. We can't carry on like this.

Can had a good second  half today and he nearly scored as well.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #725 on: January 25, 2017, 11:37:36 pm »
Well, if sturridge is going to miss a sitter 6 yards out then short of Southampton letting us win, we're going out.
No stand outs for us. Poor all over the park. Shite feeling, watching us go out on such a whimper. Memories of QPR semi final all those years ago.
Agree, and that QPR was horrible. Tonight is definitely as low as that
 If we're playing against these banked defences every week, we need the 70s Liverpool solution, Case, McDermott, Kennedy  both, Zico, Souness, players who can hit the net from 30-35 yards, to draw the fuckers out.

I hate us having lost, but if this is a step towards learning how to beat these shit defending banking teams, then so be it.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline RedmenPhil

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA
« Reply #726 on: January 25, 2017, 11:38:12 pm »
Just got back from anfield... My frozen balls moved quicker than some of them.  :butt

Offline macthered58

• Boys Pen
« Reply #727 on: January 25, 2017, 11:38:37 pm »
My worry is that if Hazard or William get the chances that their forwards had tonight we could be embarrassed next week. Something needs to change for us and quickly, don't want to be fight for europa league place come march/April.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #728 on: January 25, 2017, 11:39:14 pm »
Frustrating as hell at the moment. Credit to Southampton,  incredibly organised and very hard to play through but they broke well and carried a threat on the break (clearly).

We had some half decent chances but never built up a real head of steam. Just need a lucky break from somewhere.  And I absolutely despise myself for saying it but after about 75 minutes I thought maybe God forbid we could use a big useless lump like Fellaini.

January can fuck right off.

Disappointed when Jurgen levelled criticism at Utd for changing tactics when they were losing with 15 minutes to go.   It worked and got them a point.  There is nothing wrong with the long ball when used effectively.     We needed some variation tonight and kept banging the same drum with the inevitable outcome.  As they say its not about long balls or short balls,  wide balls or through balls, it's about the right ball.   Unfortunately we are struggling to find the right ball.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 11:42:40 pm by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #729 on: January 25, 2017, 11:39:32 pm »
Poor performance, we just didn't do enough or produce the quality we needed to.

We're in a serious rut and it's down to Klopp to find a solution to it, at the moment we just look like we've run out of ideas and tonight it felt like we left it too long to try and change anything. 

The transfer situation is what it is, if the players that Klopp wants really aren't available now then we have to find another solution but it seems like we're just sticking with the same team each week and hoping it suddenly clicks back into the form we were in prior to Christmas.  Hopefully a couple of youngsters come in on Saturday and really give Klopp some food for thought because we can't pin all of our hopes on Mane coming back and solving all of our problems.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #730 on: January 25, 2017, 11:40:09 pm »
Credit to Southampton - they thoroughly deserved it and in fact, 2-0 on aggregate flatters us.

Persisting with the likes of Emre Can just isn't going to do the business, I can see why Brendan didn't rate him at all. We can't carry on like this.
Imagine watching tonight's game and then picking out Emre Can for specific criticism. Fucking hell.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Bold Warrior

• Anny Roader
« Reply #731 on: January 25, 2017, 11:40:47 pm »
The twats that think our season is over because we won't win the league can fuck off. As if any of them thought we were going to win it before the season started. This team (and squad) is a work in progress and certain people need to come to terms with that and grow the fuck up. 2nd or 3rd would be a very good season for us, and anyone who doesn't see that is clueless. Enjoy watching the evolution of the team and accept that we will have disappointing results along the way. We need to be in the Champions League to make ourselves more attractive to signings. Yes, I know we're not going to sign Griezmann or the like, but even a highly coveted young talent like Brandt is unlikely to come here without CL, in my opinion. We need to raise our profile outside of England and re-establish our European identity. We do that by playing in the Champions League. If we fall short in the league after xmas every year then the moaning might be justified. This time it isn't.

Im not im general a doom monger but what concern me is if we lose to Chelsea (every chance) and the results go against next week were out of the top 4 and should the Mancs win were 1 point ahead of them.This you cant buy in the winter line is pure cliche.Im thinking we need 3 or 4 players next season IF we ger European football and thats IF we dont lose anyone...in which case we would need to replace them as well.Thats upwards of 3 players to integrate into the side....so another season of transition.If we could buy 1 or 2 now and start integrating them things would be a bit smoother next season.Brandt apparently has a 10.7m buyout clause.Admittedly they wont ideally want to sell but may do so if they stand to make an extra 5m?
Isnt it worth shelling out the extra to potentially get Champions league football?
As things stand were looking a tired team of out of form players,some coming back from injury and some carrying injuries.Not ideal at all.The other thing is no one is really sweating on their place in the side.Theres no one really to push the 11 out there tonight...other than an out of form Origi there was no one on the bench tonight who could have changed the game.Weve not been right for 6 weeks or so and theres no guarantee that Mane is going to change our fortunes.He has been injured at times this season and has had some patchy form at times.I really dont want to look like a bed wetter but im a bit concerned if our form doesnt change very soon.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #732 on: January 25, 2017, 11:42:55 pm »
Oh, and just one more little thing.

I guarantee in the final Southampton will play far more openly than in their two games against is.

I also guarantee that if they repeat what I am sure is being described as a superb disciplined performance after tonight against us, against Utd, it will be described as a desperate and not-very-pretty attempt to stop Utd's flowing game, that goes against everything football is about.

Might be wrong, but won't be.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #733 on: January 25, 2017, 11:44:53 pm »
Your spot on, we are the tenth richest club in the world yet our signings rarely suggest this. It's no wonder we find it hard to  get into the top 4, I think Klopp's summer business was excellent, but we need  proven champions league standard players now.
Who was the last player we bought that was playing champions league  for a club  in one of the top leagues. Not sure but it was probably torres. 

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #734 on: January 25, 2017, 11:46:26 pm »
Disappointed when Jurgen levelled criticism at Utd for changing tactics when they were losing with 15 minutes to go.   It worked and got them a point.  There is nothing wrong with the long ball when used effectively.     We needed some variation tonight and kept banging the same drum with the inevitable outcome.  As they say its not about long balls or short balls,  wide balls or through balls, it's about the right ball.   Unfortunately we are struggling to find the right ball.
See, here's the thing about Klopp: don't always take him on his word. When he feels going long is the best option, he'll do it. He criticized United and very next game threw Matip up front when nothing else was working. He threw on Origi today most likely with the intention of getting crosses into the box. Sometimes even plan B doesn't produce results.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #735 on: January 25, 2017, 11:47:00 pm »
Another opportunity to win a trophy, another opportunity missed. Lets be honest, do you really believe this group of players will achieve anything?

No matter who the manager is, if the team doesn't have the temperament to win you've got no chance. This is the 3rd season in a row, under 2 different managers, that the team as at least got to a semi final and failed to win a trophy. I hope they prove me wrong, but it seems we a team allergic to prosperity with a losers mentality.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: January 25, 2017, 11:48:31 pm »
Southampton have played more games than us this season-and looked fresher.

January has been an awful month for us. Some nettles need to be grasped, Harry Kane has 13 goals in 16 PL games this season, Daniel Sturridge has 13 goals in his last 52 PL apps (over last 3 seasons). We have missed Mane, the squad needs to be able to ride his loss, and have someone in Sturridge's place. But, I don't think we should rush into January panic- buying.

There is still much to pay for in the FA Cup, CL spots, and an EL spot. Of course I am disappointed, but in the grand scheme of things, at the end of the season, I do not think that a LC final appearance would have defined our season.

True, our progress is not going to be measured by League cups, probably not even FA cups. The owners said as much in 2012 after they let Kenny go. I think Klopp thinks that way too, he'll not be happy if he leaves here with a couple of cups and not having won one of the big ones or gone seriously close.

Winning it wouldn't have shut the lunatics up anyway.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #737 on: January 25, 2017, 11:48:33 pm »
Didn't think it was that awful. It fucking hurts but it's not the end of the universe.

They didn't need to score and are fantastically organised in defense when they want to be, it's why they haven't shipped any goals in the League Cup this year.

We're off the back of some dogshit performances, we were patient and I always felt it was coming. Sturridge misses a sitter by his standards then him and Coutinho miss two decent chances.

But the context here is it is off the back of a bad run, now we're apparently as bad as Brendan's side at the end and have imploded. Doesn't matter that we're 2 points better off than at this stage in 13/14, and still the highest scorers in the league - fair enough, let's pack it in then.

I'm sure I'll be told to wake up etc. I just hope to fuck the squad has a better mentality than half here.
:D

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #738 on: January 25, 2017, 11:48:52 pm »
There is no speed upfront to break through buses.
Klopp was wrong.  We have missed Mane lots.
The final 3rd play has been like a deer facing the headlights.
No one has the speed to get beyond parked defences. 
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #739 on: January 25, 2017, 11:51:51 pm »
Your spot on, we are the tenth richest club in the world yet our signings rarely suggest this. It's no wonder we find it hard to  get into the top 4, I think Klopp's summer business was excellent, but we need  proven champions league standard players now.
Who was the last player we bought that was playing champions league  for a club  in one of the top leagues. Not sure but it was probably torres.

Christian Poulsen played Champions League for Juve before he came to us  :D

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #740 on: January 25, 2017, 11:54:03 pm »
Agree, and that QPR was horrible. Tonight is definitely as low as that
 If we're playing against these banked defences every week, we need the 70s Liverpool solution, Case, McDermott, Kennedy  both, Zico, Souness, players who can hit the net from 30-35 yards, to draw the fuckers out.

I hate us having lost, but if this is a step towards learning how to beat these shit defending banking teams, then so be it.

Didn't we go on to win the Double that season?

Same again please!

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #741 on: January 25, 2017, 11:54:52 pm »

milner at city
phillipe at inter ? what about sturridge at Chelsea did he kick a CL ball for them ?

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #742 on: January 25, 2017, 11:54:53 pm »
Congratulations Southampton!

Thoroughly deserved over the 2 legs.

We need to find solutions.....and find them fast!
YWNA

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #743 on: January 25, 2017, 11:54:58 pm »

Spot on.

Coutinho, Sturridge and Mane all played Champions League football as youngsters. It is almost as if there is a theme.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #744 on: January 25, 2017, 11:55:40 pm »

Joe Cole? :o

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #745 on: January 25, 2017, 11:56:49 pm »

Sturridge, Suarez, Sahin, Coutinho, Sakho :D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #746 on: January 25, 2017, 11:57:51 pm »
There is no speed upfront to break through buses.
Klopp was wrong.  We have missed Mane lots.
The final 3rd play has been like a deer facing the headlights.
No one has the speed to get beyond parked defences.

Confidence is obviously low at the moment, that for me is the biggest problem. It inhibits players from trying things, from wanting the ball. But having said that we did play better second half players were starting to try things. We were making chances as well, we just need something to go in. I am sure once we get that goal the feeling will change, the confidence will return and everyone will want that ball again. It is like Klopp said in his interview, the players are not enjoying it like they were at the start. We just have to keep working at it.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #747 on: January 26, 2017, 12:00:01 am »

It is almost as if top players play Champions League Football.

Feck that though let's see who we can buy off Southampton instead.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: January 26, 2017, 12:02:55 am »

Markovic had played Champions League for Benfica  :-\

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #749 on: January 26, 2017, 12:02:59 am »

Not like we're missing any of our Southampton signings at the moment.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #750 on: January 26, 2017, 12:03:58 am »

So if we finish 4th this year how does this theory work, are our players shit or boss?  :-\

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #751 on: January 26, 2017, 12:05:21 am »
Can and Sturridge should have been nowhere near the starting line-up. Shocking decision.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #752 on: January 26, 2017, 12:05:50 am »
can we just sign a scot ?

any good jock lads out there get em in

Offline Bold Warrior

• Anny Roader
« Reply #753 on: January 26, 2017, 12:05:51 am »

Yes ill take Van Djik please,Sakho and 10m would probably do it

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #754 on: January 26, 2017, 12:06:35 am »
Can and Sturridge should have been nowhere near the starting line-up. Shocking decision.

got slated last match for not starting with a striker in sturridge or origi

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #755 on: January 26, 2017, 12:06:52 am »
Confidence is obviously low at the moment, that for me is the biggest problem. It inhibits players from trying things, from wanting the ball. But having said that we did play better second half players were starting to try things. We were making chances as well, we just need something to go in. I am sure once we get that goal the feeling will change, the confidence will return and everyone will want that ball again. It is like Klopp said in his interview, the players are not enjoying it like they were at the start. We just have to keep working at it.

The thing is though that the really top players with the right mentality simply don't accept that things aren't going their way. They don't wait for things to go their way instead they grab the game by the scruff of the neck and make things happen. Unfortunately we don't have enough of those characters at the moment, we have players who capitulate time and time again.

Flying against Bournemouth, ahead against Sunderland, conceding against United late on, conceding three against Swansea with 85% possession second half and finally tonight a semi-final at home and there simply wasn't any belief.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #756 on: January 26, 2017, 12:06:56 am »

Of all of the players that we've bought from Southampton it's only really been Lovren and Lambert that haven't stepped up to the level we need.

Offline Bold Warrior

• Anny Roader
« Reply #757 on: January 26, 2017, 12:07:10 am »
can we just sign a scot ?

any good jock lads out there get em in

weve never won he title without a Scot in the team,fact.

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #758 on: January 26, 2017, 12:08:26 am »
weve never won he title without a Scot in the team,fact.

exactly  :wave

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #759 on: January 26, 2017, 12:10:47 am »
Another opportunity to win a trophy, another opportunity missed. Lets be honest, do you really believe this group of players will achieve anything?

Yes if we go from 13 players the manager trusts to 18 or 19. The core group of players is really good. It's just mind numbingly stupidly thin