Author Topic: The Last Kingdom (Netflix/BBC TV Series)  (Read 19759 times)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Last Kingdom (Netflix/BBC TV Series)
« Reply #200 on: April 11, 2023, 10:56:23 pm »
It's a bit complicated as the show careered off the books a bit. For example some of the characters in the book, the show has already killed off, for example Sigtryggr was still alive in book 11 the War of the Wolf, and that was the book where Aethelflaed died, though she too was killed off much earlier in the show. But it's mainly about the build up of who takes over from Edward as there wasn't a strict successor to him laid down. So I imagine there will be intital intrigue between Aethelstan and Alefweard and also I think Edward had a son with Eadgifu his last wife. They had to replace the actress who played Eadgifu, as she was starring in something else. Then it will probably be a build up to the final battle of Bruanburgh I should think.
Thank you.

Not sure there'd be an interest in that if the main lead isn't in it

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #201 on: April 12, 2023, 04:28:44 pm »
I can't wait out on Friday.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/JfPaFlSfyvY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/JfPaFlSfyvY</a>

It looks like Netflix have spent a lot of money on it, surely that means they have other plans for the show.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #202 on: April 13, 2023, 08:08:54 pm »
I can't wait out on Friday.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/JfPaFlSfyvY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/JfPaFlSfyvY</a>

It looks like Netflix have spent a lot of money on it, surely that means they have other plans for the show.

They spent money on it all the way through when they took it over from the BBC. It always surprises me why the BBC let this show go, it was still popular but Netflix obviously have a bigger budget. I am not sure where they can take the show after the film, as its supposed to be based on the final three books and the aim is to tie the ends together which weren't after the show. Have Netflix said what time its available?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: April 13, 2023, 09:10:39 pm »
Have Netflix said what time its available?
8am mate from couple of articles I've seen.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: April 13, 2023, 09:26:35 pm »
8am mate from couple of articles I've seen.

Thank you. I will see it in the evening then, an early finish from work coming up.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: April 13, 2023, 09:40:31 pm »
Thank you. I will see it in the evening then, an early finish from work coming up.
Going to try and watch it tomorrow evening as well. ;D if work isn't too busy I'll stick it on during the day ;)

Otherwise Sunday.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: April 13, 2023, 09:41:49 pm »
Going to try and watch it tomorrow evening as well. ;D if work isn't too busy I'll stick it on during the day ;)

Otherwise Sunday.

Enjoy it.  :)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: April 13, 2023, 09:44:41 pm »
Enjoy it.  :)
Same to you.

If it's Sunday I'll be avoiding everything online ;D

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: April 16, 2023, 12:23:22 pm »
 I really enjoyed it, although it's not without faults the main one being the lack of time so we don't get the usual fleshed out characters. I think this hurts Aethelstan in particular, as he seems such a changed person to the one is series five. It's obvious he is under the spell of his lover/advisor Ingilmunder, who does a great job of exploiting the traits in Aethelstan's personality. But I do love the fact that there are obvious parallels to Aethelstan's journey in comparison to Uhtred's in the series. Not least the idea of discovering his identity as he quickly becomes King. The other problem with the lack of time is the fact that the journeys which the show was good at giving time too, are crazily quickly reached. But I don't know what they could have done about that with the time constraints.

There is a good mix of plot and a great battle at the end. I especially enjoyed the relationship between Uhtred and Edward's widow Eadgifu which was beautifully portrayed by the actors. It was cool to see Wirral become the vocal point for the battle of Brunanburh and the battle itself was very gritty and great to see it won by a smart tactic and shield wall! The ending was beautifully done, it's an open ending so up to you to decide whether Uhtred lives or enters Valhalla. I think he dies, but its a beautiful ending either way. It's not as good as the show, but I think it still works. I will miss this show Also, Aldhelm's fate, so sad.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 10:44:55 am by jillc »

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #209 on: April 16, 2023, 03:46:12 pm »
Thought it was ok, did feel rushed which is probably inevitable after the slow burn of 5 series.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #210 on: April 16, 2023, 04:04:14 pm »
Should’ve been a mini series, at least.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: April 16, 2023, 06:10:35 pm »
Thought it was poor to be honest.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: April 16, 2023, 06:29:49 pm »
I liked it and there was a familiarity to it but felt like something was missing.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: April 16, 2023, 07:17:23 pm »
I liked it and there was a familiarity to it but felt like something was missing.

Yeah characters that were left out & new ones that nobody gave a shit about.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: April 16, 2023, 07:34:06 pm »
I'm not sure what other characters were missing to be honest. It was always going to be about the succession and the lead up to the final battle which would end up with the unification of the country.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2023, 07:44:10 pm »
Yeah characters that were left out & new ones that nobody gave a shit about.
The main female character in it. Was she in the series cause I don't remember her.

I'm not sure what other characters were missing to be honest. It was always going to be about the succession and the lead up to the final battle which would end up with the unification of the country.
Yeah. I guess that's the end and no need for anything further now.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2023, 07:45:10 pm »
The main female character in it. Was she in the series cause I don't remember her.
Yeah. I guess that's the end and no need for anything further now.

If you mean Edward's widow she was being played by a new actress as Sonya Cassidy was in something else.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2023, 07:48:56 pm »
If you mean Edward's widow she was being played by a new actress as Sonya Cassidy was in something else.
That's it. Also hate it when that happens with the actors ;D

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: April 16, 2023, 07:51:48 pm »
Young Uhtred,Stiorra,Edward,Lady Aelswith and Lady Aelfwynn

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2023, 07:55:15 pm »
Young Uhtred,Stiorra,Edward,Lady Aelswith and Lady Aelfwynn

Eliza Butterworth who plays Lady Aelswith was unavailable for the film. The other characters they had decided it would have been too over crowded in the story they were telling. The only two other characters they seriously considered was Aelwynn and Cynleaf.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: April 16, 2023, 08:23:29 pm »
Not sure how they can excuse leaving his kids out of it.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #221 on: April 17, 2023, 08:10:48 am »
Should’ve been a mini series, at least.

Couldn't agree more.

Similar to others, it seems, I enjoyed it overall, but it didn't half move at breakneck speed at times. The other thing I found difficult to compute was the passage of time that apparently has taken place between the end of the previous series (as well as right back to S1), and this movie. Certain characters have grown/aged, and yet, Uhtred, who is now serving the grandson of Alfred, looks more or less exactly the same as he did back at the start. Must've had some belting moisturiser back in those days.

Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: April 17, 2023, 09:55:20 am »
Couldn't agree more.

Similar to others, it seems, I enjoyed it overall, but it didn't half move at breakneck speed at times. The other thing I found difficult to compute was the passage of time that apparently has taken place between the end of the previous series (as well as right back to S1), and this movie. Certain characters have grown/aged, and yet, Uhtred, who is now serving the grandson of Alfred, looks more or less exactly the same as he did back at the start. Must've had some belting moisturiser back in those days.

Yeah, him Finn and Sihtric hadn't been aged at all ... its a minor detail, but one you notice which takes you out of the story.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2023, 01:46:06 pm »
Well I for one really liked it. It did feel rushed but I still felt it was a good way to end things. I'm thinking the producers would probably have wanted another season or at least mini-series but Netflix probably told them a film is all you're getting so just work with that and they did the best they could.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: April 20, 2023, 01:31:49 am »
Thought it was OK but way way way too short. Like 8 episodes too short.

I think if you hadn't invested into the series then it would have been quite poor with just a rush to a battle that nobody would care about. With characters that you wouldnt have had time to get to know or care about.

Invested in the series - I'm disappointed. Not so much in the film just that you never seemed to get time to grow into ALL (or any to be honest) the characters like in the series. Just disappointed that there was such a great story there that could easily have been a fantastic series. The previous series let you get to know all the characters really really well - even the ones you didnt like. It could have been epic.

Still, somethings better than nothing I suppose, just feel a bit let down with it.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: April 20, 2023, 01:38:51 am »
I felt the same blert,poor writing and story arc let it down.

Still good compared to a lot of the shit that's getting churned out but not a patch on Vikings.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: April 20, 2023, 11:17:45 am »
I felt the same blert,poor writing and story arc let it down.

Still good compared to a lot of the shit that's getting churned out but not a patch on Vikings.

Vikings went off through the later series’s. The Last Kingdom we got five consistently good series’s. The film was never going to be able to deliver the same way as the show.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: April 21, 2023, 10:35:58 am »
Eliza Butterworth who plays Lady Aelswith was unavailable for the film. The other characters they had decided it would have been too over crowded in the story they were telling. The only two other characters they seriously considered was Aelwynn and Cynleaf.

I thought they were laying the groundwork in S5, for something to happen with Eadith. They had a moment when he went into the wrong bedroom in Runcorn, then at the end of S5, when he asked her to stay at Bebbanburg.

I thought he would have "pupped" her, but she was no where in the movie.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: April 21, 2023, 01:17:44 pm »
I thought they were laying the groundwork in S5, for something to happen with Eadith. They had a moment when he went into the wrong bedroom in Runcorn, then at the end of S5, when he asked her to stay at Bebbanburg.

I thought he would have "pupped" her, but she was no where in the movie.

Yes, I'd have liked to have seen Uhtred and Eadith together at the end. In the end the movie wasn't even two hours so I guess in the end they had to cut back somewhat. In the valhalla scene at the end young Ragnor wasn't there either, I assume like Eliza some of them couldn't make it back.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: June 12, 2023, 09:17:09 pm »
I am glad that there was closure - but because the because are so detailed - it's hard to not be left disappointed.

The last scene(s) were great - but again if you read the books.....