Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 223111 times)

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #360 on: April 29, 2018, 04:12:30 pm »
PoP you'd be singing from another sheet if Stevie called you up and asked you to bring your shorts up to Glasgow with him.
Shorts? Would hope that Stevie might provide with at least a pair of capris!

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #361 on: April 29, 2018, 04:38:25 pm »
The hubris of English ex-pros to not serve any decent apprenticeship, and to go into "big" jobs ASAP.

I think this will be a bad move for him if he takes it. There was nothing wrong with sitting at Liverpool, learning the trade with the kids, learning how to ACTUALLY coach that way, and then being in a good position to move up to the first team staff, and then eventually the manager's seat, where he'd have experience, knowledge, and real coaching ability to do the job.

Instead, if this is true, he gets impatient, and wants to strike out on his own and be "the man".

And with a bloated, mutinous and largely untalented squad, in a league dominated by one club that has two season's worth of Champions League money to play with.

If he does the job and wins the SPFL, he'll be a legend. But the odds are that Celtic will carry on, as will Aberdeen, and Hibs are getting stronger, so if he fails in a 3-way battle for 2nd place, he'll never lose the stain of it - just like Neville is now stained with his Valencia failure.

He should reconsider, and stay at Liverpool and learn the trade properly. Otherwise, he's on a hiding to nothing.

Spot on.

Hope those close to him have a serious word with him to turn this down.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #362 on: April 29, 2018, 04:50:05 pm »
Spot on.

Hope those close to him have a serious word with him to turn this down.

Hope he goes and does a Souness for them. Ok Souey had a lot of dosh to throw around which I guess he won’t but fucking good on him for having the bollocks to take on a challenge which could make or break him.

Big bold decision and massive appreciation in my eyes.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: April 29, 2018, 05:01:11 pm »
It seems like a bad idea to me. I don’t see what would be wrong with moving up to coach the senior squad in the next 12-24 months, then spending a few years learning from Klopp, Buvac and company, before taking a managerial position. I would frankly rather like to be part of the senior coaching setup at Liverpool during an exciting period.

One advantage for Liverpool is that we get to assess him as a coach/manager, I guess.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: April 29, 2018, 05:14:46 pm »
One advantage for Liverpool is that we get to assess him as a coach/manager, I guess.
barring getting to a European final I don’t think he can do anything to get the lfc job next, just disqualify himself for it

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #365 on: April 29, 2018, 05:31:39 pm »
barring getting to a European final I don’t think he can do anything to get the lfc job next, just disqualify himself for it

Really ? Why does moving to a new challenge and maybe doing really well disqualify him ? Beating Celtic is doing well. Because we can all sit here typing our predictions can’t we but nobody can actually see in to the future so who knows for sure how he’ll get on up there. Bizarre thing to say.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #366 on: April 29, 2018, 05:44:42 pm »
Really ? Why does moving to a new challenge and maybe doing really well disqualify him ? Beating Celtic is doing well. Because we can all sit here typing our predictions can’t we but nobody can actually see in to the future so who knows for sure how he’ll get on up there. Bizarre thing to say.

History and the odds are against him.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: April 29, 2018, 06:12:58 pm »
I guess that's true. This is one more reason why taking the 'Zidane route' would be better for him.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: April 29, 2018, 06:19:10 pm »
at the end of the day any domestic success will be looked at as being ‘just in Scotland’, winning something in Europe is what will get the eyes of the big clubs in England, much like the last manager to win a European title with a Scottish club

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #369 on: April 29, 2018, 06:28:37 pm »

You're right - managing Rangers is a surefire stepping stone. Just ask Mark Warburton, Pedro Caixinha, Graeme Murty, Stuart McCall...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: April 29, 2018, 06:31:21 pm »
Scottish football is about on a level with the Scandinavian leagues these days, and the plus of going out there rather than north of the border would be that you wouldn't have to put up with the toxic old firm "banter". Can't help but have a bad feeling about this.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: April 29, 2018, 06:33:40 pm »
You're right - managing Rangers is a surefire stepping stone. Just ask Mark Warburton, Pedro Caixinha, Graeme Murty, Stuart McCall...
walter Smith, Paul le guen...

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: April 29, 2018, 06:40:26 pm »
Oddly enough, I'd just moved to Scotland when Rodgers was sacked and there were quite strong suggestions in the media up here that Warburton was under serious consideration for the Liverpool job. How I laughed.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #373 on: April 29, 2018, 06:58:36 pm »
Well at least he'll get to deal with some incredible pressure and tough crowds to impress, while at the same time being able to have a team dominating possession in the majority of games.

Rangers are in a similar position in Scottish terms competitive-wise as we are here, in effect not winning the league for many years, but retaining a strong following and qualifying for Europe every year. He also doesn't have to learn a new language nor bothering about a relegation fight. So long as he's promised continuity (let's face it, he's a big enough name not to be sacked easily) he could easily win a cup or two in the next year or two.

If it doesn't work for him as a manager he'd definitely get his job here back, since everyone likes to have Stevie around and the young kids really listen to either theirs or their parent's childhood hero. I don't think he's got that much to lose, really.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 07:06:12 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: April 29, 2018, 07:05:57 pm »
Well at least he'll get to deal with some incredible pressure and tough crowds to impress, while at the same time being able to have a team dominating possession in the majority of games.

Rangers are in a similar position in Scottish terms competitive-wise as we are here, in effect not winning the league for many years, but retaining a strong following and qualifying for Europe every year. He also doesn't have to learn a new language nor bothering about a relegation fight. So long as he's promised continuity (let's face it, he's a big enough name not to be sacked easily).

If it doesn't work for him as a manager he'd definitely get his job here back, since everyone likes to have Stevie around and the young kids really listen to either theirs or their parent's childhood hero. I don't think he's got that much to lose, really.

How do you know he will.

What to say Alonso won't join us or his replacement does well.

For me has everything to lose joining Rangers and nothing to gain.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #375 on: April 29, 2018, 07:09:27 pm »
How do you know he will.

What to say Alonso won't join us or his replacement does well.

For me has everything to lose joining Rangers and nothing to gain.

Xabi surely would primarily have his eye on the managerial job of Sociedad?

It might not be the exactly same job here either, he could easily coach a younger side, or have a more general academy role as a technical coach. He knows a thing or two about hitting a ball, you know?
Linudden.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: April 29, 2018, 07:10:51 pm »
Alonso first needs to sort his taxes out and actually start doing his coaching badges. At least Stevie is on his way to completing them.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: April 29, 2018, 07:14:59 pm »
It seems like a bad idea to me. I don’t see what would be wrong with moving up to coach the senior squad in the next 12-24 months, then spending a few years learning from Klopp, Buvac and company, before taking a managerial position. I would frankly rather like to be part of the senior coaching setup at Liverpool during an exciting period.

What makes you say Klopp wants him? If he we win trophies next 12 months why would he just bring in a coach for the sake of it? You don't always get to plan your career in football and you often have to take opportunities as they come including in management. This smacks of that. All of this nostradamus about what will or won't happen - no one knows and no one will know what impact it has on his career as a manager for maybe 10 years if he decides to keep going that long. He's a manager with virtually no experience going into management. Personally I hope out club doesn't ever go down that route in the near future but loads of lads have done it before him and many of them come out the other end.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: April 29, 2018, 07:21:13 pm »

Rangers are in a similar position in Scottish terms competitive-wise as we are here, in effect not winning the league for many years, but retaining a strong following and qualifying for Europe every year

This season was their first season in Europe in 5 years ;D

He also doesn't have to learn a new language

Have you heard them speak in Govan? ;D

So long as he's promised continuity (let's face it, he's a big enough name not to be sacked easily) he could easily win a cup or two in the next year or two.

He'd have to get past Celtic first, then Aberdeen, Hibs, and Motherwell, with either the same squad who keep bottling it, or with a completely rejigged squad that needs bedding in

And sack the man who replaced him? Seems a bit heartless.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 07:24:00 pm by PhaseOfPlay »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: April 29, 2018, 07:23:03 pm »
What makes you say Klopp wants him? If he we win trophies next 12 months why would he just bring in a coach for the sake of it? You don't always get to plan your career in football and you often have to take opportunities as they come including in management. This smacks of that. All of this nostradamus about what will or won't happen - no one knows and no one will know what impact it has on his career as a manager for maybe 10 years if he decides to keep going that long. He's a manager with virtually no experience going into management. Personally I hope out club doesn't ever go down that route in the near future but loads of lads have done it before him and many of them come out the other end.

And most of them have mediocre careers as managers. The stats and history itself attest to that. The ones who don't generally start with one of the best, and usually the actual best, resourced club in their league.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #380 on: April 29, 2018, 07:38:23 pm »
This season was their first season in Europe in 5 years ;D

Have you heard them speak in Govan? ;D

He'd have to get past Celtic first, then Aberdeen, Hibs, and Motherwell, with either the same squad who keep bottling it, or with a completely rejigged squad that needs bedding in

And sack the man who replaced him? Seems a bit heartless.

1. Yes, but from now on they'll definitely be at a position to finish in the top 3 every year.

2. Yup. Still I've been able to understand Whiskeynose, maybe he adapted his accent, I don't know? They'll understand him at least, since Scouse is a lot easier.

3. Sure, Aberdeen are strong. Still though, Aberdeen will have to be on pretty hardcore austerity until their new ground is finished in a few years, Hibs are possible one-season wonders, I'm not sure about Motherwell, but they can't have much revenue at all there.

4. I should've worded it a bit differently, like I said in the post below there could be many possible roles in the academy for Stevie if he came back, not just U18 head coach.
Linudden.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: April 29, 2018, 08:13:27 pm »
Oddly enough, I'd just moved to Scotland when Rodgers was sacked and there were quite strong suggestions in the media up here that Warburton was under serious consideration for the Liverpool job. How I laughed.
these are the same people who think the old firm on a par with man united/Liverpool/arsenal in terms of fanbase, kinda cute

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #382 on: April 29, 2018, 08:22:41 pm »
I was very impressed with him for taking the role with the U18's last year. Cos so often high profile players who want to get into coaching / managment just think they can step into jobs at the professional level straight away.  So it was great to see Gerrard doing it 'the right way'.   So I'm a little surprised it now looks like he's going to stop doing it the right way so quickly. I can't see anything positive in taking a job like this.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: April 29, 2018, 08:39:45 pm »
these are the same people who think the old firm on a par with man united/Liverpool/arsenal in terms of fanbase, kinda cute

Celtic do just fine within a small country like Scotland and in a league with little global exposure.

I'm certainly not convinced arsenal considering the league they play in have that much more of a wider fanbase than Celtic.

Stevie should watch this and be afraid.  Rangers player of the year awards rushed by their own fans.

https://twitter.com/iainangy/status/990659205895016448?s=19

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: April 29, 2018, 08:49:21 pm »
Both Old Firm clubs would pull in 80000 if they were part of the Premier League and the grounds were big enough (not starting that debate).  Both clubs have sold the maximum number of season tickets possible (need to keep 8000 back due to Old Firm allocation).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 08:59:35 pm by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: April 29, 2018, 08:58:33 pm »
Went to the OF game today.   Spoke with Celtic fans at service areas on the way up and back and Rangers fans at the ground.   Feeling amongst the Rangers support is best summed up as they want Gerrard but are concerned about his lack of experience.   Some would prefer a more experienced manager of probable Championship pedigree.  Everyone I spoke with were furious with the board.   Celtic fans expressed concern that Gerrard would revitalise Rangers and stop them getting 10 in a row.   They seemed more confident (worried) that he would succeed than Rangers fans. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 09:16:13 pm by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: April 29, 2018, 09:12:33 pm »
Went to the OF game today.   Spoke with Celtic fans at service areas on the way up and back and Rangers fans at the ground.   Feeling amongst the Rangers support is best summed up as they want Gerrard but are concerned about his lack of experience.   Some would prefer a more experienced manager of probable Championship pedigree.  Everyone I spoke were furious with the board.   Celtic fans expressed concern that Gerrard would revitalise Rangers and stop them getting 10 in a row.   They seemed more confident (worried) that he would succeed than Rangers fans.

There would be a big bump at the start of the season, like there was with the Portuguese chap last year when he arrived. But then the reality sets in, and Gerrard finds his team struggling against the SPL  teams with the plastic pitches, or the Rangers players not having it in them to be arsed when it's 27 below freezing and the rain is blowing sideways, against a determined Aberdeen. Then they slip further behind Celtic, who have probably spent a decent amount on players for next year, as well as a loan or three. Then the natives get restless again, because they've seen it all before, and they blame the board first, but then Rangers go out to a shock cup result in one of the cups, then the attention turns to Gerrard, because "what the hell were the board playing at putting in someone so inexperienced?" Then maybe there's a late rally to challenge Aberdeen for second, perhaps a meaningless win against Celtic in the league, but Celtic go on to win probably another treble anyway, or maybe they sacrifice the league cup for Europe because they've finally got a kind group, but Hibs go on to win that trophy. Possibly they end up a good 20 points behind Celtic at the end of it, who strengthen again, because there's only two more trophies to that coveted 10th league they want so much. And the following season starts off slow for Rangers, pressure builds on Gerrard, until a bad game against Celtic puts the nail in the coffin, and dreaded vote of confidence, as one side of the Rangers support say he needs more money, while the other half say he needed more experience before he even got the job. Then it ends badly for Gerrard, Rangers are stuck back where they are now, miles behind Celtic, and with another rebuilding job on their hands. Possibly they replace him with a returning Walter Smith to the end of the season, and he improves results using all his experience, but too little, too late.

That's possibly how it goes.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: April 29, 2018, 09:12:39 pm »
Both Old Firm clubs would pull in 80000 if they were part of the Premier League and the grounds were big enough (not starting that debate).  Both clubs have sold the maximum number of season tickets possible (need to keep 8000 back due to Old Firm allocation).

Crowds yes.

The standard of football is no better than the Blackpool V Fleetwood Derby in league one though.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: April 29, 2018, 09:24:09 pm »
Crowds yes.

The standard of football is no better than the Blackpool V Fleetwood Derby in league one though.

I dont think the Rangers team that turned out today would get anything from either Blackpool or Fleetwood.  Far too easy for Celtic.   Difficult to guage where Celtic are but given that they were turned over by Hearts, Hibs and Kilmarnock I would say upper Championship.   
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: April 29, 2018, 09:28:15 pm »
There would be a big bump at the start of the season, like there was with the Portuguese chap last year when he arrived. But then the reality sets in, and Gerrard finds his team struggling against the SPL  teams with the plastic pitches, or the Rangers players not having it in them to be arsed when it's 27 below freezing and the rain is blowing sideways, against a determined Aberdeen. Then they slip further behind Celtic, who have probably spent a decent amount on players for next year, as well as a loan or three. Then the natives get restless again, because they've seen it all before, and they blame the board first, but then Rangers go out to a shock cup result in one of the cups, then the attention turns to Gerrard, because "what the hell were the board playing at putting in someone so inexperienced?" Then maybe there's a late rally to challenge Aberdeen for second, perhaps a meaningless win against Celtic in the league, but Celtic go on to win probably another treble anyway, or maybe they sacrifice the league cup for Europe because they've finally got a kind group, but Hibs go on to win that trophy. Possibly they end up a good 20 points behind Celtic at the end of it, who strengthen again, because there's only two more trophies to that coveted 10th league they want so much. And the following season starts off slow for Rangers, pressure builds on Gerrard, until a bad game against Celtic puts the nail in the coffin, and dreaded vote of confidence, as one side of the Rangers support say he needs more money, while the other half say he needed more experience before he even got the job. Then it ends badly for Gerrard, Rangers are stuck back where they are now, miles behind Celtic, and with another rebuilding job on their hands. Possibly they replace him with a returning Walter Smith to the end of the season, and he improves results using all his experience, but too little, too late.

That's possibly how it goes.

About right.  Sums up the worries of many of the Rangers fans.   
We are Loyal Supporters

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: April 29, 2018, 09:34:53 pm »
Celtic do just fine within a small country like Scotland and in a league with little global exposure.

I'm certainly not convinced arsenal considering the league they play in have that much more of a wider fanbase than Celtic.
:lmao

Arsenal are miles bigger than Celtic, it’s not even close, USA, Africa, Australia, Asia, South America, arsenal are so much bigger

Up until recently Celtic weren’t selling out for league games, they still may not, those two would only ever sell that many tickets for the big games, besides us and united would sell way more, arsenal with a comparable price structure too

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 09:36:38 pm by Laughter is the best medicine... »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: April 29, 2018, 09:42:13 pm »
I dont think the Rangers team that turned out today would get anything from either Blackpool or Fleetwood.  Far too easy for Celtic.   Difficult to guage where Celtic are but given that they were turned over by Hearts, Hibs and Kilmarnock I would say upper Championship.

Probably. And given that their most expensive signing ever is still a player who was bought for a mere 6 million, and the current most expensive player on the Celtic squad is Sinclair at 3.5 million, then we're definitely talking Championship-level players and squad.

Which is why it makes me laugh when people think they should be getting out of CL groups with Barca, City and Bayern.

Offline norecat

• Kopite
« Reply #392 on: April 29, 2018, 09:59:12 pm »
Stevie would be mad to take the Rangers job. Rangers are where they were when Souness took charge. Difference is Souness was backed financially. Rangers haven’t a pot to piss in. The other consideration is how sectarian some of their supporters are. Reading do the bouncy forum it’s shocking. Does he really want to manage a club with that strain of hate in a section of its supporters.
Unless there is a pot of money he is at nothing. He could take it and perform miracles on a shoestring and good on him if he did

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: April 29, 2018, 10:10:08 pm »

Arsenal are miles bigger than Celtic, it’s not even close, USA, Africa, Australia, Asia, South America, arsenal are so much bigger
Up until recently Celtic weren’t selling out for league games, they still may not, those two would only ever sell that many tickets for the big games, besides us and united would sell way more, arsenal with a comparable price structure too

Arsenal a bigger draw in US than Celtic ? Not sure how to begin on that..
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: April 29, 2018, 10:14:15 pm »
Stevie would be mad to take the Rangers job. Rangers are where they were when Souness took charge. Difference is Souness was backed financially. Rangers haven’t a pot to piss in. The other consideration is how sectarian some of their supporters are. Reading do the bouncy forum it’s shocking. Does he really want to manage a club with that strain of hate in a section of its supporters.
Unless there is a pot of money he is at nothing. He could take it and perform miracles on a shoestring and good on him if he did

Best bit of today was watching a Rangers fan pushing a Celtic fan in a wheelchair, all smiles.  The irony is that they hate each other for 90 minutes then go to work with other on Monday.  Go on either clubs site and you will constant sectarian references.   At least in Liverpool we only hate Mancs.
We are Loyal Supporters

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: April 29, 2018, 10:17:41 pm »
yes, arsenal, man united, Liverpool, chelsea are all far bigger than Celtic in the states, just because there’s a load of people there with irish roots there doesn’t make them all Celtic fans

Offline Klopp-A-Delphia

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Numquam Solum Ambulabis
« Reply #396 on: April 29, 2018, 10:19:06 pm »

Celtic have a huge loyal following among much of the Irish diaspora worldwide. I feel like a lot of Brits really underestimate the global reach/following that Celtic has. I don't think there's a single football club in the world that has so successfully identified itself with the cultural heritage of millions of people spread across at least 3-4 continents all over the world. Think about how many "Irish pubs" there are all over the world (even Japan!) and you can see the possible reach that Celtic has. That's something that even global clubs like Liverpool, United, Barcelona, etc. even have a hard time competing with. Cultural loyalty has such a stronger pull than civic loyalty.

As an American of Irish decent, I knew about Celtic way before I knew of Liverpool, Arsenal, etc. And I could easily identify with the whole cultural ethos behind Celtic having grown up as an Irish-American. I'm certainly not saying that a club like Arsenal is NOT bigger than Celtic, but Celtic fans are certainly more devout, because if you're of Irish decent and you're from Australia or Canada or America, it's possible to see Celtic as fundamentally a part of your DNA. I think you overestimate one and underestimate the other.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:21:02 pm by Klopp-A-Delphia »
Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/connorpatrick   or @ConnorPatrick

The magic is in the melody.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #397 on: April 29, 2018, 10:19:10 pm »

Why wouldn't they be? I doubt many US folks care about the Scottish league.

Offline Klopp-A-Delphia

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Numquam Solum Ambulabis
« Reply #398 on: April 29, 2018, 10:28:15 pm »
Why wouldn't they be? I doubt many US folks care about the Scottish league.

Very true that few Americans care about the Scottish league, especially considering the quality has gone down comparatively to what they can easily see on TV. I don't think that really matters though.

I don't think following Celtic has much to do with the competition as it has to do with what Celtic can represent as a club to the diaspora. I mean, why wouldn't an American of Irish decent love a day out wearing green and white, drinking green beer, singing songs about the IRA etc? That's a little easier to identify with than whatever Arsenal are all about.
Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/connorpatrick   or @ConnorPatrick

The magic is in the melody.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: April 29, 2018, 10:31:55 pm »
Celtic have a huge loyal following among much of the Irish diaspora worldwide. I feel like a lot of Brits really underestimate the global reach/following that Celtic has. I don't think there's a single football club in the world that has so successfully identified itself with the cultural heritage of millions of people spread across at least 3-4 continents all over the world. Think about how many "Irish pubs" there are all over the world (even Japan!) and you can see the possible reach that Celtic has. That's something that even global clubs like Liverpool, United, Barcelona, etc. even have a hard time competing with. Cultural loyalty has such a stronger pull than civic loyalty.

As an American of Irish decent, I knew about Celtic way before I knew of Liverpool, Arsenal, etc. And I could easily identify with the whole cultural ethos behind Celtic having grown up as an Irish-American. I'm certainly not saying that a club like Arsenal is NOT bigger than Celtic, but Celtic fans are certainly more devout, because if you're of Irish decent and you're from Australia or Canada or America, it's possible to see Celtic as fundamentally a part of your DNA. I think you overestimate one and underestimate the other.
if that was the case surely they’d make humongous amounts in commercial revenues as sponsors would be desperate to get involved and Glasgow would be filled with more tourists on a Celtic matchday than Manchester is when united play?

I mean most people I know who ‘support’ Celtic (or rangers for that matter) who are of Irish/Scottish descent have them more as a second team (only ones who don’t are the ones who actually grew up in Scotland) as their main team is usually us or united so they’re more casual fans who’d go to a game once every couple years max and the only game they’d watch live is the old firm, in a situation where those two end up in the prem they would more have a passing interest in them as their main team isn’t them