Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 223562 times)

Offline Rambo1996

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #1000 on: March 4, 2021, 10:24:01 am »
3 years is a long time in football

I have no idea why people are saying that will be too early for him when so much can happen in that time
Indeed. I gave Guardiola and Zidane as examples of success stories with less experience than Gerrard NOW. Many things can change by 2024, that's for sure. But he will be older and wiser.
I don't think that people give enough credit to Klopp, Rangers, Stevie, or Liverpool Football Club.
Nothing is being rushed, no short cuts taken.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1001 on: March 4, 2021, 10:31:11 am »
Shouldn't even look at Gerrard as a potential manager for five years. I'm sure he wants the job, but he's smart enough to know when he's ready.

It's either abroad after Rangers, or a Championship club with promotion ambitions.  Klopp has been dealt stern tests and hard setbacks, and he himself has said those are what makes a manager. Gerrard is hungry to learn.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1002 on: March 4, 2021, 10:33:10 am »
It still genuinely baffles me to see people saying stuff like 'he's not done enough' when the current manager still has three years, at least, at the club. And that people think there's some mythical list he needs to start ticking stuff off of to be able to manage us.

it's irrelevant and smacks of the fan soundbites that we laugh at when its Mancs saying stuff like "give it Giggseh"

And this is exactly why people seem to be so against it. They've seen the likes of Giggs, Lampard and Solskjaer completely underwhelm as manager and are worried their mates might take the micky if we get an ex player in charge. Its got fuck all to do with anything.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1003 on: March 4, 2021, 10:36:13 am »
He is less experienced than any of the above, managing us is a different thing entirely. I would prefer us to go for one of the top coaches than an up and coming one.

The good thing with him being at Rangers is he is getting European experience at a club that expects to do well in Europe, not treats it as a distraction from staying in the PL like the likes of Burnley, Palace, Newcastle, Everton would. I can't see any reason why Rangers won't get into the Group stages of next years CL.

From what I heard re the Leicester games, Slavia Prague were very well organised defensively, so will be interesting to watch the games v them in the Europa and see how Rangers deal with that tie.
Jurgen YNWA

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1004 on: March 4, 2021, 10:37:39 am »
Let say Klopp sees his contract out and wants time off.

It's the summer of 2024. Who is the "top" coach you're bringing in?

For all you know they could already be speaking to a number of people. I just don't think Steven should be the only candidate at this moment in time, managing this club is a different type of challenge.

"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #1005 on: March 4, 2021, 10:38:38 am »
Read that he's only lost 5 of their 45 games in Europe. Which is very impressive given the squad he inherited
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1006 on: March 4, 2021, 10:45:07 am »
;D
If you'd read what I said, I wasn't ruling him out, I was saying not yet, which is a different thing.
I haven't got a clue who the next manager should be, and the decision may well depend on the type of manager and the job we need him to do.
Who knows, the plan may be to have a wise old head for a couple of years post Klopp until Gerrard is deemed ready.

I love the fact that you refer to him as our greatest player in the last 40 years when talking about a managerial appointment - it's irrelevant and smacks of the fan soundbites that we laugh at when its Mancs saying stuff like "give it Giggseh" based on his playing record. I know he's done a decent job for Rangers. But rangers to Liverpool is a big leap.
I'd say it's a smaller leap than an average German/English team. A big fanbase, big expectations, expected to win most of your games, your rival is a club who are also a giant and have even more to spend than you do, European football

It's like the old thing of "would Pep do well at a shit team"... While it's an interesting debate to have, it's quite irrelevant if you were the City owner about to appoint him, looking at his CV of league titles

We'll be wanting Gerrard to do exactly what he's done at Rangers this season. It seems like qualifying experience to me.

It's too early now based off one successful season but if he has 3 more years of winning the league and doing well in Europe, for me he doesn't need to be at another club, it's great experience. It just matters if we look at his qualities, the way he plays, and decide that's what we're looking for

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1007 on: March 4, 2021, 11:00:05 am »
I'd say it's a smaller leap than an average German/English team. A big fanbase, big expectations, expected to win most of your games, your rival is a club who are also a giant and have even more to spend than you do, European football

It's like the old thing of "would Pep do well at a shit team"... While it's an interesting debate to have, it's quite irrelevant if you were the City owner about to appoint him, looking at his CV of league titles

We'll be wanting Gerrard to do exactly what he's done at Rangers this season. It seems like qualifying experience to me.

It's too early now based off one successful season but if he has 3 more years of winning the league and doing well in Europe, for me he doesn't need to be at another club, it's great experience. It just matters if we look at his qualities, the way he plays, and decide that's what we're looking for

The team is less important than the achievement, but expectations of a "big club" shouldn't be overlooked. Look at Valencia now compared with the Valencia Rafa left.
I agree with the bolded bit and needing to see sustained success because at the moment, despite Rangers size and fanbase, he started with pretty low expectations. But they'll increase next year and beyond.

What's scary is that Stevie will be 44 when Klopp leaves in 2024. As I said before, Rafa was 44 in 2004.
Mourinho was 41 when he joined Chelsea, Ferguson was 44 when he joined Utd, so in a few years he will be approaching his window of opportunity and hopefully he will have the right combination of experience and a successful track record.

His knowledge of the club will help, but he should be judged solely on what he's done as a manager not as a player.

Edit: I think what his age shows is that first, he played on for as long as he could, but then after playing he didn't force it and take the first job. Who knows how much that time with the U18s and time spent with access to Klopp will have helped his development.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2021, 11:05:32 am by Charlie Adams fried egg »

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1008 on: March 4, 2021, 11:07:36 am »
He is less experienced than any of the above, managing us is a different thing entirely. I would prefer us to go for one of the top coaches than an up and coming one.

My point was more in regards to the previous poster stating he needs Premier League experience to manage Liverpool. None of the managers I mentioned had Premier League experience before joining their respective Premier League clubs and winning the league with them.
I don't want Gerrard to manage us any time soon though.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1009 on: March 4, 2021, 11:10:13 am »
It still genuinely baffles me to see people saying stuff like 'he's not done enough' when the current manager still has three years, at least, at the club. And that people think there's some mythical list he needs to start ticking stuff off of to be able to manage us.

And this is exactly why people seem to be so against it. They've seen the likes of Giggs, Lampard and Solskjaer completely underwhelm as manager and are worried their mates might take the micky if we get an ex player in charge. Its got fuck all to do with anything.

I don't give a toss about Giggs, Lampard and Solskjaer at the end of the day. I just don't share the tunnel vision which some seem to have for Steven and only him. The expectations which comes with managing a club like this is enormous and it can't just be dismissed, because Steven is a former legendary player. Putting him in as a successor to Klopp would be a calculated risk (as it is with any manger). Therefore every avenue has to be checked by the owners and options considered. If they still think he is the outstanding candidate then fair enough.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #1010 on: March 4, 2021, 11:30:13 am »
For all you know they could already be speaking to a number of people. I just don't think Steven should be the only candidate at this moment in time, managing this club is a different type of challenge.

He's not the only candidate. But he shouldn't be ruled out because of some fat cockney charlatan comparison.

Some sections of our fan base are so quick to rule him out at this point yet are unable to come up with a replacement.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1011 on: March 4, 2021, 11:37:18 am »
He's not the only candidate. But he shouldn't be ruled out because of some fat cockney charlatan comparison.

Some sections of our fan base are so quick to rule him out at this point yet are unable to come up with a replacement.

I haven't seen anyone ruling him out it's more about when it happens. Also not being able to come up with an alternative is a nonsense as most of us don't know anything about manager contracts. Some will have put clauses in their contracts to allow them to go for certain jobs when they become available.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #1012 on: March 4, 2021, 11:50:44 am »
Lets see where he's at in a few years when Klopp goes (although I hope Klopp decides to stay a couple of years longer then that!)

I think part of the hesitancy is that he is such a Liverpool legend, it would be devastating if he came here in the wake of one of our greatest ever managers and then flunked it. We would all love him to come here and succeed. But because of his status in the club, those stakes are just that much higher.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1013 on: March 4, 2021, 12:14:53 pm »
Imagine if we turned our noses up at him and he went elsewhere and won the PL....
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #1014 on: March 4, 2021, 12:17:58 pm »
Doing a great job, loved that interview last night.

If his journey brings him here when Klopp is done, or at a later date, then great. If not then I hope he has the most success he can elsewhere as long as it's not at the cost of ours! :D
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1015 on: March 4, 2021, 01:22:51 pm »
For some reason I think the response would be different if it was Alonso for example doing the same Gerrard has done with Rangers. Many people on here didn’t expect Gerrard to be a good manager in the first place, something about him being too emotional, not really a vocal leader and not staying in position  ;D

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1016 on: March 4, 2021, 02:02:11 pm »
I just think he needs more experience before coming to us.  If Klopp leaves I'd expect another manager to step in for two to three seasons until Gerrard is appointed.

There's nothing to rule out an earlier return to the club in some capacity either; there's nothing wrong with somebody with managerial experience taking on a coaching role in the interim.

He's done a great job at Rangers and it's been challenging for him giving their situation.  I don't know if I'd put it on par with Ferguson winning the title with Aberdeen though. Where Rangers shine is their progress in Europe - maybe this is a by product of Stevie's experiences as a player?

Popcorn's Art

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1017 on: March 4, 2021, 02:08:23 pm »
I remember when Kenny was appointed as player-manager and I wondered whether he was up to it.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1018 on: March 4, 2021, 02:36:01 pm »
I remember when Kenny was appointed as player-manager and I wondered whether he was up to it.

I'll be honest, it did seem a "oh fuck we've no-one else" appointment back then, especially as they said Bob was moving upstairs and would be there to give Kenny advice. So he shows off and scores the goal to win the league ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1019 on: March 4, 2021, 02:36:53 pm »
He may have done a job at CB this season

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1020 on: March 4, 2021, 02:47:00 pm »
I just think he needs more experience before coming to us.  If Klopp leaves I'd expect another manager to step in for two to three seasons until Gerrard is appointed.

There's nothing to rule out an earlier return to the club in some capacity either; there's nothing wrong with somebody with managerial experience taking on a coaching role in the interim.

He's done a great job at Rangers and it's been challenging for him giving their situation. I don't know if I'd put it on par with Ferguson winning the title with Aberdeen though. Where Rangers shine is their progress in Europe - maybe this is a by product of Stevie's experiences as a player?

Genuinely, what does it matter?

Guardiola retired from playing, had a season in charge of Barca B and then straight into it. We all know Klopps route. Nagelsmann had about 8 years going through Hoffenheims coaching system before getting the main job. Allegri had to pretty much scrap his way to a decent job through Serie C, Serie B etc. Zidane had about 8 years out after retiring before getting the Real job.

We seem to have a really odd arrogance about this, I dont get it. There isnt some set route to managing a huge club. People talk about learning elsewhere. People talk about Rodgers getting the job too early. Since then he's had huge success at Celtic and has done well at Leicester, and yet the same issues still seem to be there in terms of competing in Europe and managing that and a league campaign.

With Stevie we don't think it'll be enough to dominate Scotland. I assume we don't want him to manage a particularly big PL club because it'd be direct competition. Its almost like we should send him a letter saying 'Hi Steven. We'd like you to manage us in the future, but first you need to be successful with one of these clubs: Borussia Dortmund, Leverkusen, AC Milan, Roma, Valencia, Sevilla or Marseille. Let us know when you've done it'.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1021 on: March 4, 2021, 02:54:04 pm »
Genuinely, what does it matter?

Guardiola retired from playing, had a season in charge of Barca B and then straight into it. We all know Klopps route. Nagelsmann had about 8 years going through Hoffenheims coaching system before getting the main job. Allegri had to pretty much scrap his way to a decent job through Serie C, Serie B etc. Zidane had about 8 years out after retiring before getting the Real job.

We seem to have a really odd arrogance about this, I dont get it. There isnt some set route to managing a huge club. People talk about learning elsewhere. People talk about Rodgers getting the job too early. Since then he's had huge success at Celtic and has done well at Leicester, and yet the same issues still seem to be there in terms of competing in Europe and managing that and a league campaign.

With Stevie we don't think it'll be enough to dominate Scotland. I assume we don't want him to manage a particularly big PL club because it'd be direct competition. Its almost like we should send him a letter saying 'Hi Steven. We'd like you to manage us in the future, but first you need to be successful with one of these clubs: Borussia Dortmund, Leverkusen, AC Milan, Roma, Valencia, Sevilla or Marseille. Let us know when you've done it'.

Fair points, although let's not forget that Pep walked into a Barca that could meet his every financial whim, and just happened to have the best player in the world about to enter his prime.  You'd have to be Hodgson to fuck that up.

In the modern era, where the margins between success and failure are wafer thin, patience is in short supply, and the wrong appointment can set you back years in terms of development, I'd say it's not arrogance to want Gerrard to prove himself - just nerves.  He can't count on the same kind of establishment backing that Ole has got.

I'll say this though - you can usually tell if a manager has "it" or not.  The likes of Hodgson, Ole, Hughes etc most definitely do not have it. I think Stevie does. But that's just me.

Popcorn's Art

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1022 on: March 4, 2021, 03:05:48 pm »
Fair points, although let's not forget that Pep walked into a Barca that could meet his every financial whim, and just happened to have the best player in the world about to enter his prime.  You'd have to be Hodgson to fuck that up.

In the modern era, where the margins between success and failure are wafer thin, patience is in short supply, and the wrong appointment can set you back years in terms of development, I'd say it's not arrogance to want Gerrard to prove himself - just nerves.  He can't count on the same kind of establishment backing that Ole has got.

I'll say this though - you can usually tell if a manager has "it" or not.  The likes of Hodgson, Ole, Hughes etc most definitely do not have it. I think Stevie does. But that's just me.

They shouldnt even be in the conversation though.

I dont even want to think about him being our manager, because I hope Klopp is here for a lot longer. But Stevie could hardly be more qualified up to this point. His whole career at the club, he knows exactly what our club stands for because he's our greatest ever captain and probably our greatest ever player. He's played under some of our best managers in Rafa and Ged. He's had time coaching under Klopp.

We've seen enough of him over the last two decades to surely know his character is far, far different to the likes of Solskjaer, Lampard, Giggs etc and I think its a little disrespectful to even mention him in the same breath.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1023 on: March 4, 2021, 05:29:54 pm »
I love Stevie - I think he'd need to prove his credentials a lot more as a manager before coming to us (if that ever happens) but I really hope he has a successful managerial career - you can see the passion for the game oozing out of him.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1024 on: March 4, 2021, 05:31:48 pm »
Who knows, but look at Gerrard and compare him with the experience of Klopp and Rafa when they joined Liverpool.

Oddly enough Gerrard will be 44 in 2024 - the same age as Rafa when he joined and 4 years younger than Klopp.

He's done well to overcome Celtic - albeit Celtic in a bit of disarray, but Rafa and Klopp had won titles in bigger and more high profile leagues as well as having European success.

He's done well and Rangers fans are impressed, but on balance I'd prefer him to be the one after the one that follows Klopp.
More time to gain further experience, hopefully in a bigger league and while I hope he's following a successful manager, there may be a bit less pressure than if he's following someone like Klopp.

He will have more experience than Mr.Two Times had when he took over at Barca.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1025 on: March 4, 2021, 05:47:29 pm »
I don't give a toss about Giggs, Lampard and Solskjaer at the end of the day. I just don't share the tunnel vision which some seem to have for Steven and only him. The expectations which comes with managing a club like this is enormous and it can't just be dismissed, because Steven is a former legendary player. Putting him in as a successor to Klopp would be a calculated risk (as it is with any manger). Therefore every avenue has to be checked by the owners and options considered. If they still think he is the outstanding candidate then fair enough.

Show me an example of this tunnel vision.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1026 on: March 4, 2021, 06:40:50 pm »
I don't think FSG will care too much about the club that Gerrard is managing or has managed before he comes to us.  They'll be looking at his tactical setup and flexibility, in-game management, chances created for and against, his improvement of players, and results.  I'm sure they already know enough about Gerrard the man to know that he would be a candidate for the job one day.

It'll be all the other stuff that they base their decision on though.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline jack witham

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1027 on: March 4, 2021, 06:45:19 pm »
King Kenny went straight from player to manager for us and that did not turn out too bad.
Form is temporary,Class is permanent.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1028 on: March 4, 2021, 06:55:24 pm »
They shouldnt even be in the conversation though.

I dont even want to think about him being our manager, because I hope Klopp is here for a lot longer. But Stevie could hardly be more qualified up to this point. His whole career at the club, he knows exactly what our club stands for because he's our greatest ever captain and probably our greatest ever player. He's played under some of our best managers in Rafa and Ged. He's had time coaching under Klopp.

We've seen enough of him over the last two decades to surely know his character is far, far different to the likes of Solskjaer, Lampard, Giggs etc and I think its a little disrespectful to even mention him in the same breath.

I'll say this much - I just had a nose on RedCafe and they are impressed with him over there. Many guess he will come to us and are hoping he crashes and burns, but they also believe he has carried that knack of raising the team and dragging them single handed over the line from the pitch and into the dugout.

If we're all too biased one way or the other to judge it, then judge it by the opinion of our rivals.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1029 on: March 4, 2021, 06:56:45 pm »
King Kenny went straight from player to manager for us and that did not turn out too bad.

He has some amazing mentors to work with initially though.  Taking absolutely nothing away from The King himself mind.

Popcorn's Art

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #1030 on: March 4, 2021, 10:35:17 pm »
Have a feeling he may become Palace manager next season

:lmao

Offline JFK-1

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1031 on: March 5, 2021, 11:32:39 am »

He's done a great job at Rangers and it's been challenging for him giving their situation.  I don't know if I'd put it on par with Ferguson winning the title with Aberdeen though. Where Rangers shine is their progress in Europe - maybe this is a by product of Stevie's experiences as a player?

I'm a Rangers fan who has been living in the US sine March 2012 so I have been here since just before Rangers were dropped down the leagues following the admin event. I watch the games online and a personal opinion is that though for obvious reasons I definitely don't want him to be leaving Rangers for sometime to come I don't think he has anything left to prove.

The pressure at Rangers just as at Liverpool is enormous. In Scotland it's probably even more high profile than the Liverpool job. A goldfish bowl in which every little facet is constantly dissected by the entire sports media. A draw far less a loss is a major talking point.

And to be truthful when he was hired I had my doubts. I would describe my feelings as more hopeful than confident but he's now completely erases any doubts I ever had. And I would also have to say I admired his mettle for taking it on in the first place given the circumstances at the time.

Celtic were on a run of consecutive league titles, had a settled side and a huge financial advantage. He knew perfectly well he had to turn that around and fast at that despite the clear disadvantages he was facing. But still he took it on. In my view that took bottle since he had to have known this could blow up in my face big time if I don't somehow overcome this situation.

The season prior to his arrival they had been knocked out of the Europa league at the first qualifying round by minnows from Luxembourg. Widely acknowledged as Rangers worst ever and most humiliating European result.

Stevie came in and said his first target was qualifying for the Europa league group stages and this would have to be achieved with the first two qualifying rounds played even before the Scottish season began. His first two competitive matches as Rangers manager were European qualifying rounds.

Now when he said we're aiming to qualify for the groups the fans thought he simply had to say that. No one from the fans and I would probably think the board too believed he could do it. All the fans wanted was a reasonable display and probably be knocked out at the play off round which is the fourth qualifying round.

But lo and behold he actually did take them into the groups after being Rangers manager for barely a couple of months. And once there put in acceptable performances including drawing home and away with group favourites and ultimately group winners Villarreal. That was major at the time given where the club had been before he arrived.

And to my knowledge the first side at that time who had ever gone all the way from QR1 to the group stages. Finished 3rd in the group so didn't qualify for the knockout stages but the fans were delighted to have bene there at all and it earned the club badly needed income.

Following season he does it again, makes the groups all the way from QR1 and this time improves on the previous seasons performance by finishing second in the group to qualify for the knockout stages. Won the the last 32 match then lost at the last 16 stage. But again, everyone happy. It's an improvement on the previous season and yet more badly needed income.

Then this season arrives. Again he negotiates all the qualifying rounds and again improves on the previous seasons performance by actually winning the group which Benfica had been favourites in. And now again reached the last 16 and I feel he will improve further by making at least the last 8. And in fact I feel they could even reach the final if they avoid the Mancs.

But as an aside what a game that would be if he negotiated the last 16 as I feel they will and draw Man U in the last 8. Stevie G versus Man Utd. 

But anyway. All that's on top of the fact that this season he has blown 9 consecutive times champions Celtic clean out of the water and currently undefeated in the league with only 7 matches remaining and an 18 point lead at the top of the table.. All this suggests to me that he has nothing left to prove regarding his status as top manager material.

I suspect he may turn down any offer from big teams abroad because he has young kids and I just don't see him wanting to take them out of Britain. And I further suspect he may even turn down any offer from any EPL club other than Liverpool. The reason I say that is connected to something I once heard Alex Ferguson say.

Ferguson had been offered the England job and while he found that highly tempting he turned it down. The reason he turned it down? He said there was simply no way he could lead an England side out against Scotland. And I suspect Stevie may feel the same about Liverpool.

But let's be in no hurry for the prodigal son to return to Liverpool as all Rangers fans knew was likely inevitable since day one. You guys can manage perfectly well with Klopp for sometime yet. Let's see what Stevie can do in next seasons champions league with a budget that pales into insignificance in comparison to EPL budgets.

And take note of what he ahs done in the Europa league too despite that budget disparity. Benfica were the second highest senders in Europe during the Summer window last year while spending around £80 million in a single window. And Stevie G beat them to the top of that group.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #1032 on: March 5, 2021, 11:44:56 am »
I'm a Rangers fan who has been living in the US sine March 2012 so I have been here since just before Rangers were dropped down the leagues following the admin event. I watch the games online and a personal opinion is that though for obvious reasons I definitely don't want him to be leaving Rangers for sometime to come I don't think he has anything left to prove.

The pressure at Rangers just as at Liverpool is enormous. In Scotland it's probably even more high profile than the Liverpool job. A goldfish bowl in which every little facet is constantly dissected by the entire sports media. A draw far less a loss is a major talking point.

And to be truthful when he was hired I had my doubts. I would describe my feelings as more hopeful than confident but he's now completely erases any doubts I ever had. And I would also have to say I admired his mettle for taking it on in the first place given the circumstances at the time.

Celtic were on a run of consecutive league titles, had a settled side and a huge financial advantage. He knew perfectly well he had to turn that around and fast at that despite the clear disadvantages he was facing. But still he took it on. In my view that took bottle since he had to have known this could blow up in my face big time if I don't somehow overcome this situation.

The season prior to his arrival they had been knocked out of the Europa league at the first qualifying round by minnows from Luxembourg. Widely acknowledged as Rangers worst ever and most humiliating European result.

Stevie came in and said his first target was qualifying for the Europa league group stages and this would have to be achieved with the first two qualifying rounds played even before the Scottish season began. His first two competitive matches as Rangers manager were European qualifying rounds.

Now when he said we're aiming to qualify for the groups the fans thought he simply had to say that. No one from the fans and I would probably think the board too believed he could do it. All the fans wanted was a reasonable display and probably be knocked out at the play off round which is the fourth qualifying round.

But lo and behold he actually did take them into the groups after being Rangers manager for barely a couple of months. And once there put in acceptable performances including drawing home and away with group favourites and ultimately group winners Villarreal. That was major at the time given where the club had been before he arrived.

And to my knowledge the first side at that time who had ever gone all the way from QR1 to the group stages. Finished 3rd in the group so didn't qualify for the knockout stages but the fans were delighted to have bene there at all and it earned the club badly needed income.

Following season he does it again, makes the groups all the way from QR1 and this time improves on the previous seasons performance by finishing second in the group to qualify for the knockout stages. Won the the last 32 match then lost at the last 16 stage. But again, everyone happy. It's an improvement on the previous season and yet more badly needed income.

Then this season arrives. Again he negotiates all the qualifying rounds and again improves on the previous seasons performance by actually winning the group which Benfica had been favourites in. And now again reached the last 16 and I feel he will improve further by making at least the last 8. And in fact I feel they could even reach the final if they avoid the Mancs.

But as an aside what a game that would be if he negotiated the last 16 as I feel they will and draw Man U in the last 8. Stevie G versus Man Utd. 

But anyway. All that's on top of the fact that this season he has blown 9 consecutive times champions Celtic clean out of the water and currently undefeated in the league with only 7 matches remaining and an 18 point lead at the top of the table.. All this suggests to me that he has nothing left to prove regarding his status as top manager material.

I suspect he may turn down any offer from big teams abroad because he has young kids and I just don't see him wanting to take them out of Britain. And I further suspect he may even turn down any offer from any EPL club other than Liverpool. The reason I say that is connected to something I once heard Alex Ferguson say.

Ferguson had been offered the England job and while he found that highly tempting he turned it down. The reason he turned it down? He said there was simply no way he could lead an England side out against Scotland. And I suspect Stevie may feel the same about Liverpool.

But let's be in no hurry for the prodigal son to return to Liverpool as all Rangers fans knew was likely inevitable since day one. You guys can manage perfectly well with Klopp for sometime yet. Let's see what Stevie can do in next seasons champions league with a budget that pales into insignificance in comparison to EPL budgets.

And take note of what he ahs done in the Europa league too despite that budget disparity. Benfica were the second highest senders in Europe during the Summer window last year while spending around £80 million in a single window. And Stevie G beat them to the top of that group.

Great first post that mate. If anyone had any doubts about him (trading off his name etc etc - the usual stuff) then he has dispelled them completely. By all accounts, including yours, he has done brilliantly in the circumstances. I have little doubt that when the time comes with Klopp that Stevie will be in the conversation. I agree with you and others that a few more seasons experience at Rangers will help him. I also don`t subscribe to the view that he needs to manage elsewhere first before being considered for any future job at Liverpool. If he maintains or exceeds what he has done at Rangers then no question he should be in with a shout of the Liverpool job. And lets face it, if he is a genuine contender then the pressure for him to get it would be immense from all quarters.

The only questions ultimately are whether he can cope with the different kind of pressure at Liverpool with him being an all time legend of the club and the step up in level. No disrespect to Rangers but it is an entirely different level of player, money and the expectations internally and externally that go with that. If the board decided that he could then the job would be his and he would probably accept it for £5 a week !
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #1033 on: March 5, 2021, 03:51:53 pm »
Because some people for some reason want him to fail. Drives me insane to see the way he's treated by parts of our fan base

Thought is was just me that thought that...utterly bizarre, if true.

He's the best player I'ver seen in a red shirt, a true scouser to boot. He has seen the game evolve and knows what's required now to succeed as a top level manager.

I am not saying he can do just yet, but he knows what's required.

Also Stevie, looks and acts management material, a million miles from Lampard, Giggs or Ole. He's got time on his side and I'm sure he is learning his trade more and more by the day.

Couldn't give a fuck what other clubs think of us wanting Stevie back, just like I couldn't care less who other clubs appoint and the reasons behind it.

The 'best ever player' for us might not matter to some, when it comes to appointing a future manager but it does to me, why wouldn't it?

Stevie Gerarrd is one of those rare people in football that command respect, you don't fuck around with him that's for sure.  When Klopp calls it a day, we can only guess what state the Club will be in, and the size of the task for the incoming boss has to face.

Whatever that task is, I hope it's Stevie to take it on.

Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1034 on: March 5, 2021, 06:29:11 pm »
Boss post JFK...good to read about Stevie from a Rangers angle....and congrats on the title win! 👍
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1035 on: March 5, 2021, 09:46:01 pm »
That's superb JFK, a wonderful post. Thank you.

Enjoy your league win and enjoy the next few seasons or so with Stevie. Your club is in a great place.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #1036 on: March 6, 2021, 02:46:25 pm »
https://streamable.com/qkj13u

Gerrard arriving at Ibrox

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1037 on: March 6, 2021, 05:01:03 pm »
I've not watched any of Rangers games since Stevie took over so can anyone say if they play like us?

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1038 on: March 6, 2021, 05:45:08 pm »
I've not watched any of Rangers games since Stevie took over so can anyone say if they play like us?

Not at all like us, they win their games. ;)
Jurgen YNWA

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1039 on: March 6, 2021, 05:50:26 pm »
Not at all like us, they win their games. ;)

😁 So do they win their games the same way we used to do 😜