Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1434119 times)

Offline HelterSkelter

• Kopite
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #4560 on: November 12, 2019, 06:24:22 pm »
There's a difference between CM and RM. CM was where Beckham wanted to be. RM was where he was most effective. We have a lot of effective CMs for what we want to do. For what we want to aspire towards, we have a few CMs for that too. We don't really need Trent to convert to CM.

Personally, I don't think Trent is enough of a c*nt to play in CM. Robertson has that quality though, if we ever unearth another LB good enough to free him to bite ankles in the middle.
Ah, CM no. RM, maybe in a tweaked system. To take him away from the right would be criminal.
But I cant see how he would not benefit offensively if his defensive workload was reduced. These things tend to work themselves out due to the players development dictating where they play, or injuries supplying opportunities but he's building on his talent like no one ive ever seen. It looks like he's decided to try to add driving towards goal to his game.
This lads technique, vision and intelligence are like nothing we've had before, I honestly think he's streets ahead of Gerrard at the same stage of development. And there is still a lot more to come

Edit. Oh and this is just hypothetical, I don't think any change is needed. I just think that is the way it will pan out, simply because that's what tends to happen in football
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 06:31:10 pm by HelterSkelter »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4562 on: November 12, 2019, 06:31:03 pm »
Ah, CM no. RM, maybe in a tweaked system. To take him away from the right would be criminal.
But I cant see how he would not benefit offensively if his defensive workload was reduced. These things tend to work themselves out due to the players development dictating where they play, or injuries supplying opportunities but he's building on his talent like no one ive ever seen. It looks like he's decided to try to add driving towards goal to his game.
This lads technique, vision and intelligence are like nothing we've had before, I honestly think he's streets ahead of Gerrard at the same stage of development. And there is still a lot more to come

What's the difference between what Trent currently does and Trent as RM? The only difference I can think of is if Trent has a habit of coming inside to provide goal threat, but we've not seen much of that. Other than that, he can do everything in his current role that he would be doing as a formal RM, except he's ostensibly an RB so we can fit another player into the XI.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4563 on: November 12, 2019, 06:33:11 pm »
Could he? Are you sure? Why was Beckham always played out wide rather than centrally? Does Trent make more chances from crosses or through balls? Does he excel when he's being pressed constantly? Does Trent have the quickest feet in the squad in a really tight space, or can he shield the ball like Gini? Or compete in the air like Fabinho? Does he do better playing long, raking passes or lots of quick one-twos? Can he consistently beat a man 1-1?

Trent in CM doesn't just magically look like Trent at RB but with somehow more opportunity to do what he does best, it changes the whole shape of the game for him and asks a lot more questions from some of his attributes (and are those attributes his strongest ones?) while giving him less opportunity to use some of his other attributes (and are *those* his best attributes)?

I'm not necessarily saying that it can't work or that it would never be a good idea, but a lot of this discussion still seems to me to revolve around an idea that better players should be moved further forward, where arguably one of the most important tactical trends in the last 10 years or so has been moving good players *backwards* so that you can maximise the amount of ball playing skill in your team. 'Keepers like Alisson and Ederson are an ultimate expression of this, as are players like Matip. Do we want to move him into midfield because he's so good on the ball?

If nothing else, taking TAA from RB means we'll never get that kind of creativity in there again, not ever. We're not talking about Trent being among 10 RBs in the world who can consistently play 60 yard crossfield passes with his wrong foot, while also having a shot on him and an incredible cross *and* serious defensive skills, too. Right now, in world football, you look at players who can do what he can do from his position and it's a list of 1. Move him into midfield and is his skillset really that unique anymore? There's any number of ways where he's redefining the role of RB. Where does he similarly excel in CM in the way that a Xavi did or a De Bruyne does or someone like that?

Maybe he would move to CM and be even more special a player than he is now, but on the other hand players like Carlos, Cafu and Alves probably didn't look back on their talents as wasted because they'd been deployed at 'fullback' (a misnomer because he's actually basically playing the same role for us Beckham did for Utd but with the stamina and pace to be Gary Neville *as well*).

You know what, having made the suggestion, I'm wondering what Robertson would be like in CM. He certainly has the character for it, the kind of niggling, cuntish exponent in gamesmanship that I love to see in CMs.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #4564 on: November 12, 2019, 06:41:15 pm »

Edit. Oh and this is just hypothetical, I don't think any change is needed. I just think that is the way it will pan out, simply because that's what tends to happen in football

Maybe under a different manager, but I don't see how his defensive workload would be reduced at RM under Klopp. See Keita at LCM/LM.

Offline HelterSkelter

• Kopite
« Reply #4565 on: November 12, 2019, 06:46:07 pm »
What's the difference between what Trent currently does and Trent as RM? The only difference I can think of is if Trent has a habit of coming inside to provide goal threat, but we've not seen much of that. Other than that, he can do everything in his current role that he would be doing as a formal RM, except he's ostensibly an RB so we can fit another player into the XI.
Have you ever played RB? its a tough position physically to play at the best of times. Put in the fact that you have to look after that flank on your own pretty much, plus you are expected to play as an AM and provide width deep into opposition play. To try to deny that he has a lot on his plate would be daft.
But in answer to your question, it limits his freedom. I don't know why this seems such an out there idea. It's literally happened to every talented player ever. You get put where you can do the most damage. There is a history of statistics that back up the fact your attacking output rises the less you have to do defensively
Sure if your going on what you've seen Trent do so far, and you think that's his limit, you would think he's an ideal RB. I just think there is a lot more to come.
But I'm not interested in a debate. Im just giving my view

Offline HelterSkelter

• Kopite
« Reply #4566 on: November 12, 2019, 06:53:29 pm »
Maybe under a different manager, but I don't see how his defensive workload would be reduced at RM under Klopp. See Keita at LCM/LM.

Who would of thought we'd ever see Gerrard playing wide left, the players tend to dictate the system. Talented youngsters tend to upset the order a bit as they are often unplanned, but the clubs staff are always looking at ways to improve the system. Nothing is set in stone.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #4567 on: November 12, 2019, 07:02:15 pm »
That's just the thing tho, Who would of thought we'd ever see Gerrard playing wide left, the players tend to dictate the system. Talented youngsters tend to upset the order a bit as they are often unplanned, but the clubs staff are always looking at ways to improve the system. Nothing is set in stone.

Your point is that his defensive workload would be reduced in order to accommodate his attacking talent, which I contend isn't going to happen under Klopp. As Ox said recently, "To get into the team you've got to be able to press in a certain way with a certain intensity". He still has to track back and cover the spaces in midfield and no less intense.

Offline HelterSkelter

• Kopite
« Reply #4568 on: November 12, 2019, 07:21:37 pm »
Your point is that his defensive workload would be reduced in order to accommodate his attacking talent, which I contend isn't going to happen under Klopp. As Ox said recently, "To get into the team you've got to be able to press in a certain way with a certain intensity". He still has to track back and cover the spaces in midfield and no less intense.
Your responsibilities at RB limit your freedom to move. Which in turn limits your ability to affect play.
Although I have no idea why im even discussing it. I'm very much in the 'if it aint broke' camp. But history shows that playmakers of his calibre tend to advance up the pitch and their offensive output rises with it. That's not even up for discussion. The question is would it improve us, and I don't think it would at the minute
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 07:23:48 pm by HelterSkelter »

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #4569 on: November 12, 2019, 07:31:48 pm »
Your responsibilities at RB limit your freedom to move. Which in turn limits your ability to affect play.
Although I have no idea why im even discussing it. I'm very much in the 'if it aint broke' camp. But history shows that playmakers of his calibre tend to advance up the pitch and their offensive output rises with it. That's not even up for discussion. The question is would it improve us, and I don't think it would at the minute

I mean, Trent's stats and his heatmaps suggest that's clearly not the case with the current setup.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #4570 on: November 12, 2019, 08:05:54 pm »
I think some of this is purely to do with him viewed as a RB. If we simply redraw our formation to 2-5-3 and called him a RM nobody would care. In a side where your most prolific strikers do not play through the middle we have to accept that positions are much more fluid.

The skys the limit on what TAA can achieve in the game, but that could easily be from RB as it could any other position. He certainly wouldn't have the space to play those raking. balls from a no8 position in our side for example
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4571 on: November 12, 2019, 08:08:16 pm »
It’s about roles, not positions. It’s obvious what Trent’s role is.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #4572 on: November 12, 2019, 08:46:34 pm »
He certainly wouldn't have the space to play those raking. balls from a no8 position in our side for example
On the other side there are tons and tons of skills he can show as an 8 that he can't as RB (ball carrying, through balls, goals, shooting...)

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4573 on: November 12, 2019, 10:08:15 pm »

It wouldn't, his defensive output would be increased. The full backs already play as right midfielders now and if you're taking Trent out of that position to stick him more centrally you'd be asking him to cover for the full back when they bomb forward. He wouldn't be able to get forward as often and he definitely wouldn't be getting the space to do what he does now.

On the other side there are tons and tons of skills he can show as an 8 that he can't as RB (ball carrying, through balls, goals, shooting...)

He literally does all those things that you're talking of from full back you melt.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4574 on: November 12, 2019, 10:09:47 pm »
It wouldn't, his defensive output would be increased. The full backs already play as right midfielders now and if you're taking Trent out of that position to stick him more centrally you'd be asking him to cover for the full back when they bomb forward. He wouldn't be able to get forward as often and he definitely wouldn't be getting the space to do what he does now.

He literally does all those things that you're talking of from full back you melt.

All great points but did you have to call him a melt?  :D

Offline nyrrard

• Anny Roader
  • at the end of the storm there's a Golden sky!
« Reply #4575 on: November 12, 2019, 10:28:29 pm »
already been repeated countless times in this thread

We have the best right back in the world, breaking assists records, playing in literally the best football team in the world, European champions, on course for a record breaking, title-winning season. I don't know what our ppg has been over the last 12 months or so but it will be monstrous. This is literally as good as it gets.

I can understand people wanting to see Trent in midfield at some point in the future once this particular team has evolved/run its course but the clamour for such a change now, because of our supposed lack of penetration and creativity from midfield, while we've been such a perfectly balanced killing machine for the past 18 months, I find completely baffling to be honest.

Ba-dum-tss

Couldn’t have said it better my self.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4576 on: November 12, 2019, 11:36:40 pm »

We already have ready made number 8s who are being introduced to the team. What ready made RBs do we have for when Trent gets moved inside?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4577 on: November 13, 2019, 12:19:52 am »
looking like a solid back up for Clyne... we needed that, Clyne realy needs rest as he is playing always when fit...

imo good future ahead of this kid, looks solid for his age...

Accidentally clicked the first page and felt this was worth quoting. From solid back up to undroppable stalwart - he's come a long way in just three years.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline SpionBob

• I have a signed Kenny Dalglish shirt on my wall-is that a bit gay?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • WITH JURGEN kLOPP WE WON IT 6 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4578 on: November 13, 2019, 03:03:03 am »
Accidentally clicked the first page and felt this was worth quoting. From solid back up to undroppable stalwart - he's come a long way in just three years.
I remember when Gerrard first broke into the team and I had the same feeling about Trent when he did. Times have changed though and if it was Gerrard breaking through now I think Klopp would have him playing right back (injuries permitting!). What a team we have now though!!!! The whole thing is dreamland. Enjoy it, embrace it because it is a long long time since we had a team anywhere near this good!!!
Public enemy number one: On the RAWK watch list for offering alternative views, supporting Rafa and abusing ill informed WUMS with dubious agendas. Where's the crime in that? Victim of self-important mod with itchy finger.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #4579 on: November 13, 2019, 04:24:30 am »

I completely agree that Trent should not be playing central midfield.

However, to play devil's advocate, I think he's so unique that if for example, he were injured, I don't think the right sided midfielder would necessarily spend more time covering for the right-sided fullback because the right sided fullback would not be afforded as much protection as Trent.. because all our play wouldn't go through any other right-sided fullback in the world.

In fact, if Trent were to get injured, I think that's exactly what would happen - we would replace Trent with Gomez or Milner, and then replace one of Gini or Hendo with a more attacking minded 8 like Ox.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4580 on: November 13, 2019, 05:16:39 am »

I'm not necessarily saying that it can't work or that it would never be a good idea, but a lot of this discussion still seems to me to revolve around an idea that better players should be moved further forward, where arguably one of the most important tactical trends in the last 10 years or so has been moving good players *backwards* so that you can maximise the amount of ball playing skill in your team. 'Keepers like Alisson and Ederson are an ultimate expression of this, as are players like Matip. Do we want to move him into midfield because he's so good on the ball?

This hits the nail completely. Maybe it's an old deeply ingrained view where the fullback "ain't that magical", but anyone with two eyes would see the trend you mention.

Last 8 CL winners (excluding Chelsea and Inter):

2011: Barca (Alves as RB, his interplay with Messi being essential).
2013: Bayern (Lahm and Alaba, in that they were tremendous threats going forward, with Alaba being maybe the more magical one, actually having been moved around due to it but in 2019 you'd still say he's best at LB).
2014: Madrid (Marcelo and Carvajal, both tremendous threats going forward, with Marcelo the more magical one and being instrumental with his crosses, smart inside forward movements and key passes)
2015: Barca (Alves and Jordi Alba, speaks for itself).
2016-2018: Madrid (see above).
2019: TAA and Robertson

As others have said, *maybe* TAA in another position will happen once this team runs its course, but so far, as yet another poster said, his role is pretty clear and deadly -and benefits the team the most, as it did, having attacking fullbacks (including a magical one) for all the teams abov-, and he ain't moving.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #4581 on: November 13, 2019, 07:02:42 am »
Have you ever played RB? its a tough position physically to play at the best of times. Put in the fact that you have to look after that flank on your own pretty much, plus you are expected to play as an AM and provide width deep into opposition play. To try to deny that he has a lot on his plate would be daft.
But in answer to your question, it limits his freedom. I don't know why this seems such an out there idea. It's literally happened to every talented player ever. You get put where you can do the most damage. There is a history of statistics that back up the fact your attacking output rises the less you have to do defensively
Sure if your going on what you've seen Trent do so far, and you think that's his limit, you would think he's an ideal RB. I just think there is a lot more to come.
But I'm not interested in a debate. Im just giving my view

I’ve played at right back but I’m not as talented as Trent and I never played in a Juergen Klopp team.

That’s at the heart of the debate in this thread. Juergen Klopp and his team are redefining traditional roles across the pitch. Players nearer our goal are more than just defenders and those nearer the opposition goal aren’t just attackers. Every player has a defensive role when we don’t have the ball and an attacking role when we do. Moving Trent into one of the midfield three wouldn’t relieve him of defensive duties - if anything his defensive/holding responsibilities would increase.

Unless you want to reshape this amazing team into a traditional shape with traditional roles it’s pointless talking about what a ‘RB’ or ‘AM’ does. People hankering for Trent in a Gerrard-style midfield role are nostalgic for a simpler type of football.

We are privileged to be watching a brilliant team managed by one of the best coaches around and possibly one of the best ever. Why do people want to throw that away for some old-school formation that any decent coach would come up with?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline dai_bonehead

• Kopite
« Reply #4582 on: November 13, 2019, 07:38:20 am »
already been repeated countless times in this thread

We have the best right back in the world, breaking assists records, playing in literally the best football team in the world, European champions, on course for a record breaking, title-winning season. I don't know what our ppg has been over the last 12 months or so but it will be monstrous. This is literally as good as it gets.

I can understand people wanting to see Trent in midfield at some point in the future once this particular team has evolved/run its course but the clamour for such a change now, because of our supposed lack of penetration and creativity from midfield, while we've been such a perfectly balanced killing machine for the past 18 months, I find completely baffling to be honest.

Bingo! It's undeniably not broken at the moment so why do people want Klopp to change a winning system?

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4583 on: November 13, 2019, 07:46:57 am »
How Trent plays the position for us is why he rarely plays for England.

Southgate knows he has to call him up but he would have to change everything about how his team plays to accommodate him. 

It's pointless playing him as a traditional RB, as he isn't one.

All good for us though.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4584 on: November 13, 2019, 09:22:15 am »
If roles matter more than positions it's worth thinking about what 'starting' position on a pitch maximises the role that any given player is being asked to play. Our current system is not a traditional 4-3-3 with 2 progressive, attacking 8s, but seeing as roles matter more than positions, perhaps that hardly matters. Klopp will happily change the way the system is functioning to increase the effectiveness of his player's role. And in fact he's already done that to make Trent a more integral part of our attacking play. Our FBs haven't always been this important to us offensively. This is why the idea that
It's pointless playing him as a traditional RB, as he isn't one.
is slightly odd. He has played as a traditional rb for us, he still does in certain games/ certain portions of games. His role on the pitch is often not of a traditional RB, but it has been in the past. Or at least, that's my perception. If his average position has remained static ever since he got into the team I'd be happy to retract this.

We needn't be too attached to a current system at the expense of a 'trad' system when in reality Klopp will do whatever maximises the roles of his players. So if Trent moved to midfield his responsibilities and tasks would be setup to maximise his creativity and goal scoring threat. Just like currently his position as RB is moulded to enable as much creative threat as possible. Those theorising about Trent moving forward do so with the assumption that is he started playing as an 8 then whoever came in at RB wouldn't be doing what Trent is currently doing and Trent wouldn't be doing what the 8 who he replaced is currently doing. In many ways, Trent's role on the pitch would remain the same but would his ability to fulfil that role increase? The question is, would moving his starting position free him to become more devastating in an attacking sense? This is why hesbighesred's post last page is so helpful, because often players do move forward to maximise output.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 09:28:39 am by Knight »

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #4585 on: November 13, 2019, 10:14:49 am »
We already have ready made number 8s who are being introduced to the team. What ready made RBs do we have for when Trent gets moved inside?
I'd be using Milner temporarily.

He played wide for City for 5 years, he's got a wicked cross on him if opposition wants to allow him space, his football IQ is as high as anyone else's so his positioning and timing would be spot on. Practically we'd just need him to hold width with his positioning to allow Trent just enough space inside to cause the carnage that he inevitably would create.

Basically we'd be just moving all the influence Trent's having from one area to another where he'd have more options to showcase his skills, he wouldn't be trapped by the sideline and we'd get to see more from him which we simply can't at RB. Much, much more.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4586 on: November 13, 2019, 10:28:32 am »
Again, can't quite understand that set up. We'd be weaker defensively, as Milner is much slower, and the rest of the team would have to cover for him (presumably Alexander-Arnold himself, as he's playing on that side). We wouldn't benefit as much playing out the back or switching play from deep positions as no one can do it to nearly the same extent as Alexander-Arnold, and we don't know how he will cope with playing more central, how he'll read the game from there, how he'll press and so forth.

If it is Henderson you've got a problem with in central midfield, why not argue that someone with greater attacking qualites should take his place? In what way is Milner at RB and Alexander-Arnold in midfield more attacking, more creative than Alexander-Arnold in his current position with for example Chamberlain in midfield? As Alexander-Arnold is a better defender than Milner, I'd argue that it would be stronger in both directions.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #4587 on: November 13, 2019, 10:41:13 am »
In what way is Milner at RB and Alexander-Arnold in midfield more attacking, more creative than Alexander-Arnold in his current position with for example Chamberlain in midfield?
I desperately want to see this but it is apparent Klopp just doesn't trust Ox enough to start him in the league. He would even rather go with our blunt midfield against the dross rather than use Ox who is infinitely more productive on the ball than Henderson. That's why I don't consider Naby and Ox but rather look at another solution for the lack of creativity in our midfield.

Besides there's so much more Trent can offer in midfield - people can be touchy about it all they want, it is simply inevitable to happen over the next year or so. The guy is a new Gerrard, simple as. Once he starts dominating games on a higher level in midfield nobody's gonna remember they wanted him to stay at RB.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #4588 on: November 13, 2019, 10:45:35 am »
Milner as first-choice RB to accommodate Trent in midfield - really? Sounds like an easier overload on that side than Hendo-Trent. Much easier.

If Trent's starting position is further up, we'll prob lose that ridiculous crossfield, fullback to fullback pass only he can pull off from receiving the ball deep for one.  And just like Robbo on the other flank, Trent is also adding those surging runs into space created by the players further up dragging their markers out of position into his game, and overall getting into the box more often.

We're already seeing more from him in the nominal position of RB.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4589 on: November 13, 2019, 10:55:42 am »
Moving Alexander Arnold from RB would make the other side very happy. At the moment he is the most creative player in Liverpool colours AS A RIGHT BACK, in a system that has been specially designed for his talents and Robertson's talents, where the midfield itself has been turned into a pressing machine to accommodate such enterprise from the fullbacks.

Why in the world would we want to change the entire way we play, to move him to an unfamiliar position where there is no evidence that he has ever prospered to the same degree, where he would need to be played in that position for considerable time to get him to adapt to it (if he could even do so to a similar degree as he is killing it as a right back), and to strip ourselves of our principal source of creativity just so as to try to turn him into Steven Gerrard? To do so even without a pre season at least to try out the experiment and acclimatise the team to it? To do so when Milner would certainly not be able to do as good a job as Alexander Arnold in that position? The most likely result of such a move would be to totally disrupt the team and we will start losing matches and our title aspirations will run aground.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #4590 on: November 13, 2019, 10:57:03 am »
We're already seeing more from him in the nominal position of RB.
He's being limited by the sideline any which way you look at it.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #4591 on: November 13, 2019, 10:59:30 am »
Why in the world would we want to change the entire way we play, to move him to an unfamiliar position
He played tons as midfielder in the academy...

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4592 on: November 13, 2019, 11:02:18 am »
In fact I am starting to wonder if Steven Gerrard himself would have been better off being played as a right back for his entire career ... in other words, instead of trying to turn Alexander Arnold into Gerrard all over again, maybe Gerrard would have better off becoming a proto-Alexander Arnold?

Let's look at his attributes - he didnt have that much dribbling ability compared to a Zidane etc but had incredible energy and stamina like Robertson, a surfeit of power and strength and dynamism, incredible passing ability and creativity like Alexander Arnold, and while he may not have been as fast as Mane or Salah, he was fast for a midfielder, again like Robertson. He could hit piledrivers from distance. He was a big game player and delivered for us time and again - like both of our fullbacks. Gerrard even started playing in the first team as a right  back and did very well before he was moved quickly to the midfield. He was often criticised for not showing enough disicipline as a midfielder - could thatr trait have been better harnessed as a right back? 

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4593 on: November 13, 2019, 11:03:08 am »
He played tons as midfielder in the academy...

But not at this level, and not in the first team. It is a huge risk and most importantly, it would change completely the entire system of play that has made us successful in the last 2 seasons.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #4594 on: November 13, 2019, 11:03:17 am »

Ok, for discussion's sake, where do you see him lining up ideally then? Hendo's position, centre-right? And what can he do there that he can't in his current position? Lastly, what about his defensive responsibilities and the prospect of facing more markers in that position and getting round those?

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4595 on: November 13, 2019, 11:03:56 am »

I do not agree - I think his attributes have been liberated by the way we play that has been designed by Klopp to best harness his abilities.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #4596 on: November 13, 2019, 11:13:56 am »
Ok, for discussion's sake, where do you see him lining up ideally then? Hendo's position, centre-right? And what can he do there that he can't in his current position? Lastly, what about his defensive responsibilities and the prospect of facing more markers in that position and getting round those?
For discussion sake I think whatever he's doing right now would elevate a level or two above in Hendo's position.

Attacking rebounds on the edge of the box - we're talking goals in double figures here imo (nigh on impossible to get many goals at FB), tons and tons of more options to pass into the box for our front 3, tons and tons of more options to shoot from long to medium range, through balls through the middle in transition (I get a hard on just thinking about this) with our speedsters on the last shoulder, carrying the ball over longer distances would be much easier here than at FB and so on and on and on. Also if you man mark him you'll get a big help from the sideline whereas at AM Trent will have 360 degrees options.

Defending wise it would be the easiest adjustment, he's already a defender and a very good one, whatever the task may be I'm sure he'll be up for it.

Ultimately it doesn't matter as long as he's in the team, whatever the position he'd doing Trent stuff and it would be glorious but the notion that he actually wouldn't be that good as an 8 is extremely ignorant and disrespectful to Trent and his incredible talent imo.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4597 on: November 13, 2019, 11:28:46 am »
For discussion sake I think whatever he's doing right now would elevate a level or two above in Hendo's position.

Attacking rebounds on the edge of the box - we're talking goals in double figures here imo (nigh on impossible to get many goals at FB), tons and tons of more options to pass into the box for our front 3, tons and tons of more options to shoot from long to medium range, through balls through the middle in transition (I get a hard on just thinking about this) with our speedsters on the last shoulder, carrying the ball over longer distances would be much easier here than at FB and so on and on and on. Also if you man mark him you'll get a big help from the sideline whereas at AM Trent will have 360 degrees options.

Defending wise it would be the easiest adjustment, he's already a defender and a very good one, whatever the task may be I'm sure he'll be up for it.

Ultimately it doesn't matter as long as he's in the team, whatever the position he'd doing Trent stuff and it would be glorious but the notion that he actually wouldn't be that good as an 8 is extremely ignorant and disrespectful to Trent and his incredible talent imo.

As far as a midfield creator is concerned who can provide those incisive through balls, we already have a 53M player for that role - Keita. And he is still getting to grips with that role at the frenetic pace and higher level of the premiership compared to the German league.  Alexander Arnold is very talented but he will not hit the ground running in central midfield to the level you think he will. He has never played at the premiership level in that position in our first team - his entire career there has been spent as a right back. He may get to grips with thew changed role but it will certainly take more than the rest of this season to do it - if it is taking Keita so long to get on top of that role and given Keita's talent and the fact that Keita has been a midfielder for his whole career, it is reasonable to expect that Arnold will need a substantial time to adapt. However to accommodate him, we would need to rejig the entire way we play. Without a pre season to prepare ourselves to do so. What are the odds that this would totally unsettle the team and bring our lead in the race for the title to a premature end? Don't upset the cart when we are in the lead!

Anyway I have my doubts Arnold would be as good as midfielder as he is as right back - bear in mind this is not "disrespectful" to him as Arnold is currently the best right back in the world as far as I am concerned.  I do not think he will ever the best midfielder in the world though.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4598 on: November 13, 2019, 12:55:58 pm »
SerbianScouser, you seem more concerned with getting the most out of Trent rather than the team as a whole. I don't doubt that Alexander-Arnold would make a fine number 8, but right now we'd take out the best right back in the world, in order to give Milner games, and significantly weaken that side of our team.

As it currently stands - and that might well change soon, given Trent is only 21 years old - there is no guarantee that he's just that much better than Chamberlain. I also don't get the point that Klopp doesn't trust Oxlade-Chamberlain. He had one of the worst possible injuries imaginable for a footballer, and is by his own account not ready to play a full game at the intensity Klopp requires. It makes perfect sense that he's not starting games week in week out yet. Keita is in a similar position, having had many smaller injuries which as disrupted his rhythm. In 17/18, before the injury, Chamberlain started most important games (notably in all three wins against City), so I'm not sure why you think that is out of the question when he's fully fit. Keita was getting into the side regularly before his injury against Barcelona too.

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4599 on: November 13, 2019, 12:59:18 pm »

I think you are missing the point somewhat. We could get Attacky McAttacker-Midfieldinho (half Brazilian, Half Scottish, the worlds greatest attacking midfielder) and play him in our system and he probably wouldn't get double figures in terms of goals. Our set-up just isn't calibrated to give our midfielders opportunities to score.

Also through-balls are also pretty rare as a way of creating chances - even the best players don't provide that many. Put Trent in the middle and he still isn't going to be able to provide a significantly higher number of through-balls. Attacking switches of play to players in masses of space however, are pretty common and Trent is in the perfect position to do that.
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.