Author Topic: Sexual Abuse in Football, Andy Woodward, Paul Stewart Speak Out  (Read 19004 times)

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Andy Woodward: The victim of sexual abuse at the hands of a football coach
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2016, 12:15:21 am »
As someone who was involved in the Crewe setup (although well after these events) I think that's a bit of a stretch given the evidence we have. The first person who broke the story stressed that Dario Gradi was not involved in any way and he is and always has been the man in charge at the Club from top to bottom.

As soon as evidence came out at the time it was handed over to the police and dealt with. Obviously it all came to late but some things unfortunately can't be legislated for.

The man in question also had ties away from Crewe (Stoke, Man City and Leeds) and I think some of the recent stories occurred at those clubs.

What absolute rubbish this is, not sure how you could have the temerity to suggest so. How on earth do they account for the fact they allowed young lads to stay over at his house? In any situation, that is highly suspicious behaviour. I cannot believe nobody at the club knew about this.

If many many players knew about the fact he took them to his house, then how the hell would club officials and coaches not know a thing?

It absolutely stinks.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 12:22:31 am by mattD »

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2016, 02:28:36 am »
Been there. Though in my case, it was a Rugby coach in Lille in 1972.
I was 16, so not as young as these poor lads. Very young 16 though and didnt have a clue.

It fucks you up. Simple as. I'm not saying it ruined my life or anything - I'm doing alright, but there's an element of guilt - did you bring it on, were you the instigator, did you actually want it to happen? As I said, weird shit goes on in your mind.

Over the years, I've actually managed to forget his face which is a resounding victory far as I'm concerned. Fuck him. And fuck rugby and rugby people too.

Life's funny though, given that I now live in Bedford which is the rugbiest town in the fucking world!

:'(

Hope you'll find piece and happiness in your life, as I'm sure you do. I wish you all the best my friend.
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2016, 06:44:54 am »
Horrible, horrible story. This Independent article includes a bit from Rob Jones speaking about him.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/crewe-alexandra-sexual-abuse-scandal-dario-gradi-andy-woodward-a7434706.html

As the Crewe sexual abuse scandal develops, it is time for Dario Gradi to tell us what he knows
The club are finally being called to account, but we must now hear from Gradi, despite him reportedly being told to 'keep out of it'

It was a measure of the complacency about child abuse in football that the jailing of Crewe Alexandra’s paedophile coach Barry Bennell on June 1, 1998 attracted the most cursory newspaper attention: just six basic local reports in the Stoke, Birmingham and Crewe press, with The Independent’s 270 words the only national coverage.

A further three days had passed before the Crewe manager Dario Gradi - in whose house one of Bennell’s victims was assaulted - made his only published observation on the child abuser, which was extraordinary in its complacency and indifference. “Everyone at the club found it hard to believe he was guilty when he was first arrested,” Gradi said, reflecting on Florida state police’s apprehension of Bennell on suspicion of sexual battery and lewd and lascivious behaviour. "When we first found out what had happened we were very supportive. All this is now a long time ago and we were untouched by the court case this week. We are all just carrying on as normal."

And that is what Crewe did. There was not one published word of regret or apology for Bennell’s conduct. Only now, 18 years on, are the club being called to account, prompted by the journalist Daniel Taylor’s searing interview in The Guardian with Andy Woodward, one of Bennell’s victims.

The club’s chairman John Bowler, a former pharmaceutical industry marketer, has been the one feeling the heat this week.  He cut an extremely nervous figure on Tuesday night, describing himself “infuriated” and “disappointed” over the crimes when submitted to some typically searching questions by the BBC’s sports editor Dan Roan, outside the club’s Gresty Road ground.

Of Gradi there has been no sign, though it is him we need to hear from. It was in Gradi’s house that an assault took place though there is no suggestion that he knew of it. It was Gradi who stood for hours beside Bennell on football touchlines watching players and – judging by the testimony of ex-Crewe and Liverpool defender Rob Jones – who must have been impressed by his football judgement.

Though Gradi has taken much of the acclaim for discovering Jones, it was Bennell who saw the 16-year-old’s talent, while the pair of them watched him play for Cheshire borough side Halton Boys against Crewe one day in 1987. “Dario is supposed to have said that there was nobody worth taking from the match, but Barry thought that perhaps one lad - me - could do a bit and they should give me a trial,” Jones said. “Barry took me under his wing and taught me an awful lot ……When I signed for Crewe I was playing in midfield and he switched me to centre half. I didn't want to play there, but he said that I would make it as a right back eventually.”

It was this judgment and skill that allowed Bennell to insinuate his way into the minds of boys and then abuse them. "I looked up to him,” one of his victims said. “He could do tricks with the ball I had only seen on television and I thought he was God."

The criminal proclivities of Crewe’s talent spotter were by no means a secret. One boy related details of an episode to his father who, joined by other parents, actually confronted Bennell at his home and told him they were going to involve the police. The paedophile promptly began to cry and held his head in his hands. What happened next was extraordinary. The parents were so concerned about damaging their sons’ chances in football by involving police that they did not report them after all and convinced themselves they had nipped the problem in the bud.

They had not, of course. The chilling aspect of Taylor’s Guardian interview with Woodward resides in the small details of how Bennell drew boys under his spell. Those basic court reports also reveal how Bennell showed boys films such as The Exorcist, frightening them into sharing the same bed as him. Frequently there would be two or three boys in the bed with him when the assaults took place. When one boy once protested, others told him to be quiet. When Bennell arrived in the United States to work with coaches Dan Rawlins and Marc Conway in 1989, he brought ideas which were instrumental in the development of future US national team player Jason Moore. The Americans loved him.

It was three years later, in 1992,that Crewe sacked him, for reasons which have never been made public and were not reported at the time. So what did the club know, if anything? What did Bennell discuss with Gradi in their time together? Gradi, now Crewe director of football, insisted at the weekend that his chairman had told him to "keep out of it” if approached by reporters now. "I don't understand any of it," he said. "It was a long time ago and for all intents and purposes it was dealt with at the time. I can't help you, I'm afraid.” It was the same message from Crewe once again on Wednesday. Nothing to say. Though the scandal will not go away this time. The 1990s level of detail will not suffice.

RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2016, 06:46:43 am »
Alan Brazil was also abused by a football coach as a kid.

It's prime ground for these people.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Realdidi

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2016, 08:36:43 am »
9 years is pathetic sentence, what kind of example does that send out to people? Hardly a deterrent is it? I've seen first hand what the impact crimes like this have on the victim and their families, they never the same person before it happens, and even with all the support and help from loved ones and professional they never fully recover or get over what happens. Crewe need to be held to account and football world needs to come together to ensure something like this doesn't happen again and they put measures in place to stop this happening again and give people confidence to come forward if it does or has happened agaun
I love Liverpool like a fat kid love Cake

http://twitter.com/#/AlfaEllis

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2016, 09:22:38 am »
Alan Brazil was also abused by a football coach as a kid.

It's prime ground for these people.
yup, the amount of power they can wield over the kids is immense

Online WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2016, 09:39:38 am »
How are there so many of these people about and able to get away with this sort of thing?

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2016, 10:49:46 am »
How are there so many of these people about and able to get away with this sort of thing?
because the kids are scared of grassing them up because if they did then that'd be their football dream gone

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2016, 12:18:55 pm »
Been there. Though in my case, it was a Rugby coach in Lille in 1972.
I was 16, so not as young as these poor lads. Very young 16 though and didnt have a clue.

It fucks you up. Simple as. I'm not saying it ruined my life or anything - I'm doing alright, but there's an element of guilt - did you bring it on, were you the instigator, did you actually want it to happen? As I said, weird shit goes on in your mind.

Over the years, I've actually managed to forget his face which is a resounding victory far as I'm concerned. Fuck him. And fuck rugby and rugby people too.

Life's funny though, given that I now live in Bedford which is the rugbiest town in the fucking world!

So sorry mate.  :(

I would imagine the bolded part just makes things worse. For those who haven't experience such heinous crime, we wonder why would the victim feel that but it's easy to say that, isn't it? As you said, it fucks you up.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2016, 06:09:02 pm »
Just listened to the Paul Stewart BBC interview,  Christ that was tough to listen to.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2016, 07:32:41 pm »
So sorry mate.  :(

I would imagine the bolded part just makes things worse. For those who haven't experience such heinous crime, we wonder why would the victim feel that but it's easy to say that, isn't it? As you said, it fucks you up.

Mate, I've only ever told two people ... ex-wife (big mistake telling her  :-\ ) and the lad I work with now who spent most of his young life in care. He understands.

Oh ... and now the squillions of RAWK users  ;)

I really admire the bravery of these lads - who are well-known folks - coming forward with their stories. I feel great having got it off my chest, and thank you for your kind words  :)

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2016, 07:37:55 pm »
We all feel for you mate.  Stay strong.

Offline Kwaideng

• Hamshank Redemption
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2016, 08:44:38 pm »
I read the piece in The Guardian about Steve Walters as I knew his father, Chris Walters, who was a coach and the Community Officer at Crewe. I met Steve a few times and even met his Mum once when she came up from Plymouth.

I used to do quite a bit of coaching with Chris Walters, a lovely bloke (R.I.P).
One day Dario had invited Dave Sexton up to coach the first team. Chris took me down to the old shitty training grounds next to the local abattoir to watch the old maestro Sexton take the session. I think Neil Lennon and Craig Hignett were there traning along with the Ron Futcher.

The youth team was training there too and I noticed young Dele Adebola putting himself about and mentioned to the coach Barry Bennell that he was a 'handful' (...unfortunate turn of phrase on reflection).

Bennell proceeded to slag Dele off and also went on to show his disdain for scousers generally.
I thought he was an ignorant twat given that Dele was brought up in L'pool and he obviously knew I was a scouser also.

Later on I found out all about the horribe c*nt from a mate of mine who was with Man City as kid and who I'm sure was there with likes of Gary Speed at the time. It's a long time ago now and my mate is in Oz but his Mum and Dad had Bennell sussed.

There is more to come out no doubt.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 09:14:27 pm by Kwaideng »
The clique is just a click away.
And they are being watched too, but don't know it.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2016, 09:16:29 pm »
Former Newcastle United player tells police he was abused in club’s youth system

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/24/george-ormond
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2016, 09:26:01 pm »
Mate, I've only ever told two people ... ex-wife (big mistake telling her  :-\ ) and the lad I work with now who spent most of his young life in care. He understands.

I really admire the bravery of these lads - who are well-known folks - coming forward with their stories. I feel great having got it off my chest, and thank you for your kind words  :)

More power to you for getting it off your chest mate, I hope it makes you feel liberated. It's amazing how much one or two stories from people in the public eye can do for people who relate to them. I hope you have/can move on from it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 09:28:18 pm by TomDcs »

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2016, 09:45:06 pm »

I'm sorry I missed this earlier. The amount of bravery you've exhibited just by living your life is remarkable. I wish your experiences with telling your ex was better, you deserve support and understanding. I'm glad you have some one to talk to, and if you ever need an ear you've always got RAWK.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
Re: Paul Stewart
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2016, 10:19:30 pm »
Just wanted to say that no matter how much of a "failure" Stewart was in his time here, my respect for him has gone up hugely. Its' hard to quantify the achievement of someone who was abused to such an extent to still have the mental strength to go on and be a success in his career.

It still surprises and shocks me how people can do this to children who place their trust in them. I can't believe there are so many sick people in this world.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline vorsprungtorbenpieknik

• Anny Roader
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2016, 11:20:22 pm »
Genuinely a bit gutted this thread isn't getting more attention than it is. This is more important to us as fans than anything to do with Stevie Gs career plans. It's genuinely awful.  I was always such a harsh critic of Paul  Stewart at the time. But now I've seen a strength in him I have never seen from anyone on a football pitch. We need to do something for him,  as fans.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2016, 12:12:57 am »
I commented in the other thread about this. Incredibly tough viewing seeing that interview.  You can see how difficult it was for him bit well done to him for speaking out, his higher profile has seen this story get the level of coverage that it needs to.

As you say, he's shown incredibly strength to come through that and reach the top of the game. Huge respect to him.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2016, 01:46:23 am »
I wonder if there is a way we can send him and the other lads a message of support?
We are Liverpool!

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2016, 05:19:12 am »

Well I'm sure I speak for all the lads on here when I say that I admire your bravery. Not just for posting and sharing on here but living your life, fiar play man your previous post included too, huge respect mate.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2016, 05:35:18 am »
Sickening. Wonder how many world class talents have been robbed off their future. Even a life sentence would not be suffice to this utter disgrace of humanity
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Sexual Abuse in Football, Andy Woodward, Paul Stewart Speak Out
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2016, 06:33:57 am »
Threads merged and moved to News & Current Affairs.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2016, 06:36:45 am »
Former Newcastle United player tells police he was abused in club’s youth system

• Former player alleges convicted paedophile George Ormond was his abuser
• Ormond went to jail for offences involving boys in Newcastle’s youth system

Daniel Taylor
@DTguardian

Thursday 24 November 2016 19.48 GMT
Last modified on Friday 25 November 2016 01.05 GMT

The escalating story of sexual abuse in football is now threatening to take in Newcastle United after a former player contacted the police to allege he was another victim on the back of growing concerns about a possible paedophile ring in the sport.

The ex-player, whose identity is known to the Guardian, has named George Ormond as the offender, claiming that he was sexually abused by a man who has already had a six-year prison sentence for a string of convictions involving boys from the club’s youth system over a 24-year period.
Pictured: paedophile Barry Bennell in his time as Manchester City talent-spotter
Read more

The complainant has been inspired to report the alleged abuse after the Guardian brought to light abuse suffered by former players elsewhere. That began when the former Crewe Alexandra defender Andy Woodward waived his right to anonymity last week to reveal the harrowing accounts of the sexual abuse he endured from the coach, scout and serial paedophile Barry Bennell. Another former Crewe player, Steve Walters, followed suit to tell the Guardian a story of disturbing similarity.

David White, best known for his long association at Manchester City, has subsequently come forward to reveal he was another of Bennell’s victims and another former England international, Paul Stewart, has said he was targeted by a separate man who was working in junior football in the Manchester area.

A spokesman for Northumbria Police told the Guardian: “We have received a report in relation to an allegation of historic [sic] sexual offences in Newcastle. We are working closely with, and supporting, the victim and enquiries are ongoing.” Ormond was branded a “predatory abuser” by the judge at Newcastle crown court when he was imprisoned, aged 46, in 2002 at the end of a trial that heard how a man once regarded as a highly respected coach in youth circles used his standing to bring youngsters under his power.

His case has similarities in that respect with Bennell’s time as a youth-team coach at Crewe and White’s ordeal at Whitehill FC, a junior team affiliated to Manchester City. Bennell, who also had links with Stoke City, coached sides in Greater Manchester, Cheshire, Staffordshire and Derbyshire, but it is only now that the full extent of his crimes is becoming apparent.

Woodward believes there could be hundreds of victims and a new NSPCC hotline for footballers, opened with the support of the Football Association, received more than 50 calls in the first two hours.

Wayne Rooney, the England and Manchester United player and an NSPCC ambassador, said: “It’s awful that some of my colleagues have suffered this way whilst playing the sport that I and they love. Andy has been really brave to come forward and I would encourage anyone who has or is suffering from abuse to call the NSPCC’s new football helpline. It’s important that people know that it’s ok to speak out, there is help available and that they don’t need to suffer in silence.”

Last week two other former players, speaking to the Guardian, independently named another man from the football world who had abused them, and Cheshire police reported on Wednesday that 11 people had contacted them to talk about the Bennell case. The Guardian is aware of many others who have been abused but chosen not to come forward, including one case where the victim has decided it would be too upsetting for his elderly mother to find out.
Advertisement

Ormond denied 15 charges of indecent assault on seven boys, five of whom were under the age of 16, between 1975 and 1999. He was convicted of 12 indecent assaults and one attempted indecent assault after having earlier been acquitted of the other attacks on the directions of the judge.

The police investigation into his crimes began after one of the victims secretly recorded a conversation between them, more than a decade after the attacks, and Ormond could be heard apparently apologising. The court was told that Ormond, who argued he was the victim of a conspiracy among his accusers, was “wholly preoccupied with sex” and carried out his attacks at various locations including youth-club changing rooms, his car and at the homes of some victims.

Sentencing Ormond, the judge, Esmond Faulks, told him: “The evidence demonstrates you were a predatory abuser of young boys. You used your position as a football coach to target vulnerable young children. You ingratiated yourself with their parents and prevented disclosure by the power you wielded over them as their coach.”

• The NSPCC’s hotline is 0800 023 2642 and Child Line for children and young people can be contacted on 0800 1111.

• NAPAC, the National Association for People Abused in Childhood, can be contacted on 0808 801 0331.

• In the UK, The Samaritans can be contacted on 116 123. In the US, the National Suicide Prevention Hotline is 1-800-273-8255. In Australia, the crisis support service Lifeline is on 13 11 14.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/24/george-ormond
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2016, 01:03:49 pm »
Paul Stewart appeared on This Morning talking about it all today.  Brave to do so, very brave.

lardy-arsed cockwomble, Eamonn Holmes just added to his reputation of being a massive twat though.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline jboy14

• Kopite
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2016, 01:30:47 pm »
Horrible, horrible story. This Independent article includes a bit from Rob Jones speaking about him.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/crewe-alexandra-sexual-abuse-scandal-dario-gradi-andy-woodward-a7434706.html

As the Crewe sexual abuse scandal develops, it is time for Dario Gradi to tell us what he knows
The club are finally being called to account, but we must now hear from Gradi, despite him reportedly being told to 'keep out of it'

It was a measure of the complacency about child abuse in football that the jailing of Crewe Alexandra’s paedophile coach Barry Bennell on June 1, 1998 attracted the most cursory newspaper attention: just six basic local reports in the Stoke, Birmingham and Crewe press, with The Independent’s 270 words the only national coverage.

A further three days had passed before the Crewe manager Dario Gradi - in whose house one of Bennell’s victims was assaulted - made his only published observation on the child abuser, which was extraordinary in its complacency and indifference. “Everyone at the club found it hard to believe he was guilty when he was first arrested,” Gradi said, reflecting on Florida state police’s apprehension of Bennell on suspicion of sexual battery and lewd and lascivious behaviour. "When we first found out what had happened we were very supportive. All this is now a long time ago and we were untouched by the court case this week. We are all just carrying on as normal."

And that is what Crewe did. There was not one published word of regret or apology for Bennell’s conduct. Only now, 18 years on, are the club being called to account, prompted by the journalist Daniel Taylor’s searing interview in The Guardian with Andy Woodward, one of Bennell’s victims.

The club’s chairman John Bowler, a former pharmaceutical industry marketer, has been the one feeling the heat this week.  He cut an extremely nervous figure on Tuesday night, describing himself “infuriated” and “disappointed” over the crimes when submitted to some typically searching questions by the BBC’s sports editor Dan Roan, outside the club’s Gresty Road ground.

Of Gradi there has been no sign, though it is him we need to hear from. It was in Gradi’s house that an assault took place though there is no suggestion that he knew of it. It was Gradi who stood for hours beside Bennell on football touchlines watching players and – judging by the testimony of ex-Crewe and Liverpool defender Rob Jones – who must have been impressed by his football judgement.

Though Gradi has taken much of the acclaim for discovering Jones, it was Bennell who saw the 16-year-old’s talent, while the pair of them watched him play for Cheshire borough side Halton Boys against Crewe one day in 1987. “Dario is supposed to have said that there was nobody worth taking from the match, but Barry thought that perhaps one lad - me - could do a bit and they should give me a trial,” Jones said. “Barry took me under his wing and taught me an awful lot ……When I signed for Crewe I was playing in midfield and he switched me to centre half. I didn't want to play there, but he said that I would make it as a right back eventually.”

It was this judgment and skill that allowed Bennell to insinuate his way into the minds of boys and then abuse them. "I looked up to him,” one of his victims said. “He could do tricks with the ball I had only seen on television and I thought he was God."

The criminal proclivities of Crewe’s talent spotter were by no means a secret. One boy related details of an episode to his father who, joined by other parents, actually confronted Bennell at his home and told him they were going to involve the police. The paedophile promptly began to cry and held his head in his hands. What happened next was extraordinary. The parents were so concerned about damaging their sons’ chances in football by involving police that they did not report them after all and convinced themselves they had nipped the problem in the bud.

They had not, of course. The chilling aspect of Taylor’s Guardian interview with Woodward resides in the small details of how Bennell drew boys under his spell. Those basic court reports also reveal how Bennell showed boys films such as The Exorcist, frightening them into sharing the same bed as him. Frequently there would be two or three boys in the bed with him when the assaults took place. When one boy once protested, others told him to be quiet. When Bennell arrived in the United States to work with coaches Dan Rawlins and Marc Conway in 1989, he brought ideas which were instrumental in the development of future US national team player Jason Moore. The Americans loved him.

It was three years later, in 1992,that Crewe sacked him, for reasons which have never been made public and were not reported at the time. So what did the club know, if anything? What did Bennell discuss with Gradi in their time together? Gradi, now Crewe director of football, insisted at the weekend that his chairman had told him to "keep out of it” if approached by reporters now. "I don't understand any of it," he said. "It was a long time ago and for all intents and purposes it was dealt with at the time. I can't help you, I'm afraid.” It was the same message from Crewe once again on Wednesday. Nothing to say. Though the scandal will not go away this time. The 1990s level of detail will not suffice.

So Crewe/Gradi sacked Bennell in 1992 for reasons unknown but Gradi didn't know about the abuse until Bennell was arrested in 1994. That really doesn't add up.
Of all the unimportant things in life, football is the most important.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2016, 01:52:21 pm »
Paul Stewart appeared on This Morning talking about it all today.  Brave to do so, very brave.

lardy-arsed cockwomble, lardy-arsed cockwomble, Eamonn Holmes just added to his reputation of being a massive twat though.

What did that dickhead Holmes do?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2016, 02:06:11 pm »
Just the beginning.  I expect more names to come out once others start to come forward.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2016, 02:20:20 pm »
Dunno about the beginning.

This was exposed back int he 80s when a southampton youth coach was jailed for abusing some of his youth players.

Name escapes me and cant find it on the net.

Remember back in the day played a friendly against this monsters side.
Thought it a bit odd that none of his players showed personality in the game or after it when talking to them.

Our side were of course low level and thought it a great idea to have a friendly arranged v them.
we were star struck....but afterwards thought it a bit odd they were all very quiet.

very sad.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 02:25:14 pm by G1 Jockey 4(betfair) »
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2016, 02:32:56 pm »
What did that dickhead Holmes do?
You could just see him pushing him onto more uncomfortable questions when he was clearly getting distressed at times.  I don't know how intentional it was but it was difficult at times.  I've seen him worse I suppose.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2016, 05:49:36 pm »
Had always considered Daniel Taylor to be a bit of a Fergie sycophant (and I still think he was, even if he did manage to get banned from his press conferences at one point) but this is really excellent work he's doing.

Gruesome tale. It's probably not a surprise at all given how this has happened in so many walks of life that it happened around football, but it's still so disgusting.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2016, 07:37:45 pm »
Crewe were warned about Barry Bennell but he stayed on, says former board member

Crewe Alexandra, the club most heavily implicated in the Barry Bennell case, were warned he had sexually abused one of his junior footballers but allowed the man who turned out to be a serial paedophile to stay at the club for a number of years, the Guardian has been told.

Bennell was the subject of a top-level meeting in the late 1980s but was kept in his job despite the chairman at the time, Norman Rowlinson, recommending at one point that the club “get him out” because of growing suspicions about his behaviour.

Hamilton Smith, who was on the board from 1986 to early 1990, has told this newspaper he was so concerned at the time he asked for specially convened talks about concerns over Bennell’s relationship with young boys at the club and, specifically, to inform his colleagues that someone had marched over to him at a junior football match to allege that a friend’s son had been abused.

Smith recalls that the talks were held at Rowlinson’s house and the chairman was so disturbed by what he heard he suggested, at first, that the vice-chairman, John Bowler, should instruct the manager, Dario Gradi, to find a new youth-team coach, before an agreement was eventually reached that Bennell should be kept on but not left alone with boys and stopped from arranging overnight stays.

Gradi, according to Smith, was not present but he was there the next day at a follow-up meeting, attended by two other directors, in the manager’s office and made it clear he did not have any problem with Bennell – something he repeated in the 1996 Dispatches documentary when he said there was “never any cause for concern” about boys staying with the youth-team coach.

Bennell was finally arrested in Florida in 1992 after taking another junior team on tour and Smith has told the Guardian he believes it would be wrong for Crewe to say they were not warned about, and did not discuss at length, a man the American authorities later described as having “almost an insatiable appetite” for young boys.

“I’m incredibly angry the club continue to refute that they knew anything about suspicions of Bennell’s activities,” he said. “This was discussed at the club’s top level and, as much as I tried to resolve this, regrettably I couldn’t. I dread to think how many victims there are, and my heart goes out to them.”

Smith, described by Andy Woodward, one of Bennell’s victims, as “one of the people at Crewe who can hold their head high,” left the club shortly afterwards because of seriously deteriorating health but has been following the Bennell story with growing dismay. “Whatever I have been through is nothing compared what those poor boys went through,” he said.

Some of his fellow directors, he said, had argued it was difficult to condemn Bennell on the word of a member of the public who had not passed on his details or lodged an official complaint. Smith, however, says he was already uneasy because he had heard a member of staff expressing concerns about Bennell’s relationship with young boys.

Smith was also troubled by the amount of rumour and innuendo within Crewe and the surrounding area and that in the same discussions – not an official, minuted board meeting – he says he explained to Rowlinson what he had heard. Rowlinson, who had been chairman since 1964, asked for clarification about the precise nature of what was being alleged.

After leaving the club, Smith was still so concerned about the set-up at Crewe he says he spoke about it on several occasions with Gwyneth Dunwoody, then the Crewe MP. In April 2001, he says he arranged to meet Tony Pickerin, the FA’s head of education and child protection, at Lilleshall and requested a wide-reaching investigation into the care of children at Gresty Road as well as asking about possible compensation for Bennell’s abuse victims.

Three months later, having not had a response, he contacted the FA, believing the delay meant a long, complex inquiry must be underway. After requesting an update a three-line letter, seen by the Guardian, arrived in the next few days from Pickerin saying the FA had “investigated the issues and is satisfied that there is no case to answer.”

Smith said: “My first thought was: ‘Well, what have you investigated, and who have you investigated?’”

Rowlinson, who died in 2006 aged 83, became sufficiently concerned about Bennell, a man he described as a “Pied Piper figure” with “a magnetic attraction with boys”, he contacted Manchester City, where they, too, had received a complaint about Bennell bringing boys into his room late at night.

Bennell, who has served three prison sentences, totalling 15 years, since 1994 for multiple offences committed against boys, had previously worked with junior teams affiliated to City, including Whitehill FC, where he targeted the 11-year-old David White, a future England international.

The complaint to City came from a parent but Ken Barnes, the club’s former head scout, told Dispatches the incident was “something of nothing” and nothing more than a “bit irresponsible”. Chris Muir, one of the club’s directors, told the same documentary that Bennell was “looked upon as a fellow that wasn’t right”, adding that “football allowed him to stay because he was producing the goods.”

Crewe have declined to comment. The FA, meanwhile, has said it is treating all the stories surround the entire case with utmost seriousness, citing the comments of the chairman, Greg Clarke, earlier in the week. City stated on Thursday they were “undertaking a thorough investigation of any past links he (Bennell) might have had with the organisation.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/25/crewe-barry-bennell-former-board-member

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2016, 08:08:21 pm »
So it was discussed at board level, though not at an official board meeting. All looks a bit like how the catholic church dealt with dodgy priests.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Speedy Molby

• Not as fat as his name suggests but is still a bad formby wool :)
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Satire? In Wigan?
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2016, 09:33:12 pm »
So this director met the FA's head of child protection to request an investigation, then - having heard nothing for three months - wrote to them to chase it up. They sent a three-line reply saying nothing doing. I'm shocked, but not surprised.
I am alone now. I am beyond recrimination. The curtains have shut, the furniture has gone. I am transforming. I am vibrating. I am glowing. I am flying. Look at me now.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2016, 10:07:38 pm »
Watching this on the news and it's tough watching these players tell their stories. And I'd echo all the supportive comments for Redsnappa, I hope you have access to support and advice if you need it.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2016, 10:49:39 pm »
Crewe were warned about Barry Bennell but he stayed on, says former board member

Crewe Alexandra, the club most heavily implicated in the Barry Bennell case, were warned he had sexually abused one of his junior footballers but allowed the man who turned out to be a serial paedophile to stay at the club for a number of years, the Guardian has been told.

Bennell was the subject of a top-level meeting in the late 1980s but was kept in his job despite the chairman at the time, Norman Rowlinson, recommending at one point that the club “get him out” because of growing suspicions about his behaviour.

Hamilton Smith, who was on the board from 1986 to early 1990, has told this newspaper he was so concerned at the time he asked for specially convened talks about concerns over Bennell’s relationship with young boys at the club and, specifically, to inform his colleagues that someone had marched over to him at a junior football match to allege that a friend’s son had been abused.

Smith recalls that the talks were held at Rowlinson’s house and the chairman was so disturbed by what he heard he suggested, at first, that the vice-chairman, John Bowler, should instruct the manager, Dario Gradi, to find a new youth-team coach, before an agreement was eventually reached that Bennell should be kept on but not left alone with boys and stopped from arranging overnight stays.

Gradi, according to Smith, was not present but he was there the next day at a follow-up meeting, attended by two other directors, in the manager’s office and made it clear he did not have any problem with Bennell – something he repeated in the 1996 Dispatches documentary when he said there was “never any cause for concern” about boys staying with the youth-team coach.

Bennell was finally arrested in Florida in 1992 after taking another junior team on tour and Smith has told the Guardian he believes it would be wrong for Crewe to say they were not warned about, and did not discuss at length, a man the American authorities later described as having “almost an insatiable appetite” for young boys.

“I’m incredibly angry the club continue to refute that they knew anything about suspicions of Bennell’s activities,” he said. “This was discussed at the club’s top level and, as much as I tried to resolve this, regrettably I couldn’t. I dread to think how many victims there are, and my heart goes out to them.”

Smith, described by Andy Woodward, one of Bennell’s victims, as “one of the people at Crewe who can hold their head high,” left the club shortly afterwards because of seriously deteriorating health but has been following the Bennell story with growing dismay. “Whatever I have been through is nothing compared what those poor boys went through,” he said.

Some of his fellow directors, he said, had argued it was difficult to condemn Bennell on the word of a member of the public who had not passed on his details or lodged an official complaint. Smith, however, says he was already uneasy because he had heard a member of staff expressing concerns about Bennell’s relationship with young boys.

Smith was also troubled by the amount of rumour and innuendo within Crewe and the surrounding area and that in the same discussions – not an official, minuted board meeting – he says he explained to Rowlinson what he had heard. Rowlinson, who had been chairman since 1964, asked for clarification about the precise nature of what was being alleged.

After leaving the club, Smith was still so concerned about the set-up at Crewe he says he spoke about it on several occasions with Gwyneth Dunwoody, then the Crewe MP. In April 2001, he says he arranged to meet Tony Pickerin, the FA’s head of education and child protection, at Lilleshall and requested a wide-reaching investigation into the care of children at Gresty Road as well as asking about possible compensation for Bennell’s abuse victims.

Three months later, having not had a response, he contacted the FA, believing the delay meant a long, complex inquiry must be underway. After requesting an update a three-line letter, seen by the Guardian, arrived in the next few days from Pickerin saying the FA had “investigated the issues and is satisfied that there is no case to answer.”

Smith said: “My first thought was: ‘Well, what have you investigated, and who have you investigated?’”

Rowlinson, who died in 2006 aged 83, became sufficiently concerned about Bennell, a man he described as a “Pied Piper figure” with “a magnetic attraction with boys”, he contacted Manchester City, where they, too, had received a complaint about Bennell bringing boys into his room late at night.

Bennell, who has served three prison sentences, totalling 15 years, since 1994 for multiple offences committed against boys, had previously worked with junior teams affiliated to City, including Whitehill FC, where he targeted the 11-year-old David White, a future England international.

The complaint to City came from a parent but Ken Barnes, the club’s former head scout, told Dispatches the incident was “something of nothing” and nothing more than a “bit irresponsible”. Chris Muir, one of the club’s directors, told the same documentary that Bennell was “looked upon as a fellow that wasn’t right”, adding that “football allowed him to stay because he was producing the goods.”

Crewe have declined to comment. The FA, meanwhile, has said it is treating all the stories surround the entire case with utmost seriousness, citing the comments of the chairman, Greg Clarke, earlier in the week. City stated on Thursday they were “undertaking a thorough investigation of any past links he (Bennell) might have had with the organisation.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/25/crewe-barry-bennell-former-board-member

Just as many have suspected. It is quite frankly incomprehensibly how a club could have possibly kept the guy on, simply because he churned out the goods on the football field.

I've heard the words 'club complacency' being bandied around, but that word doesn't do it justice and almost trivialises it - this is morally corrupt wilful neglect.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2016, 11:13:03 pm »
Watching on the news tonight and it really hit home and upset me quite a bit, not sure if its because my lad is at an academy and things have changed so much now theres no way any young lads should be subject to such horrific crimes.  Really is heartbreaking to listen to.

Online TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2016, 12:10:35 am »
Can someone please explain, why aren't newer charges being put to Bennell if more people are coming forward? or is it that these were old cases the police knew about but it's just that they have now been made public?

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2016, 02:46:31 am »
Here's the 1996 Dispatches documentary in full :

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AixfLC8oGPY&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AixfLC8oGPY&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2016, 06:51:51 am »
Can someone please explain, why aren't newer charges being put to Bennell if more people are coming forward? or is it that these were old cases the police knew about but it's just that they have now been made public?

Four police forces are investigating. I suspect there will be more charges brought.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38107910
You try me once you beg for more.