Author Topic: Be Honest, would you sit here?  (Read 90049 times)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Be Honest, would you sit here?
« Reply #600 on: March 12, 2021, 11:12:49 pm »
Been watching me Fred Dibnah the last couple days

Quite early in part 2, when he was leaning back to tighten the knots I just said out loud several times "fuck off ..... fuck off".

I punished myself further and skipped to the bit when he's gained further height, probably 4 miles up, and he's looking up and taping the hollowness. I mean seriously, no fucking need.

I'm off to the spiders thread for some comfort.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #601 on: March 12, 2021, 11:27:31 pm »
Fuck that. The Radio City tower was way too much for me.
Although me and my work colleagues got pulled in to the live studio for 2 mins while the dj asked why we where there :) I liked the darkness of that studio after looking out of those fucking glass walls.
I went to the top of what is now the Radio City tower in the days when you could go outside onto the roof. The fence around the top was very secure so I was perfectly fine up there looking down. Try getting me more than 10 feet or so up a ladder though, and it's ... 
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #602 on: March 13, 2021, 01:24:42 am »
Yak, SoS, I'm not even going to think about it mate.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: March 13, 2021, 07:26:08 am »
I went to the top of what is now the Radio City tower in the days when you could go outside onto the roof. The fence around the top was very secure so I was perfectly fine up there looking down. Try getting me more than 10 feet or so up a ladder though, and it's ... 

It was a great view from up the Beacon, top of the Anglican Cathedral is a great view too, went there with school. I remember walking up a staircase inside the tower that didn't have a handrail on the outside and being told to be careful and stay away from the edge.

I worked for the Corpy when I was 16 painting the street signs, streetlights and road signs. We were allowed to work at about 20 feet and then above that we had to use the tower wagons. I once fell about 8ft and landed in the road because the fella footing my ladder had wandered off. I had this technique for when I was about 15/20 ft up for doing the bit that the ladder was resting on of painting all around the lampost, then to get at the bit the rung was leaning on, rather than go down, lower the ladder then go back up, I'd pull the ladder away then paint the bit dead quick before it landed back on the post.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 07:27:47 am by rob1966 »
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: March 13, 2021, 03:07:01 pm »
It was a great view from up the Beacon, top of the Anglican Cathedral is a great view too, went there with school. I remember walking up a staircase inside the tower that didn't have a handrail on the outside and being told to be careful and stay away from the edge.

I worked for the Corpy when I was 16 painting the street signs, streetlights and road signs. We were allowed to work at about 20 feet and then above that we had to use the tower wagons. I once fell about 8ft and landed in the road because the fella footing my ladder had wandered off. I had this technique for when I was about 15/20 ft up for doing the bit that the ladder was resting on of painting all around the lampost, then to get at the bit the rung was leaning on, rather than go down, lower the ladder then go back up, I'd pull the ladder away then paint the bit dead quick before it landed back on the post.
Yep, a great view up there. I've been up again since but, of course, it's all enclosed now. We did try to go to the top of the Cathedral too, but they said it was shut that particular day. We wanted to go up the tower on the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona too, like Nick did, but the queues were massive so we gave it an unfortunate swerve.

Your painting technique up that ladder ...  :o   You nutter.  :D

So long as I can't fall off, I'm fine. Otherwise, I'm terrible with heights.

An instance not so long ago was being on holiday in Cala en Bosch, Menorca. Our apartment was only on the first floor, but the balcony wall was below waist height. Basically, more of your body was above it than below it, so you could go over it if you stumbled against it. It put the shits up me all week, just knowing that. Not exactly a great height, but just knowing it was possible to actually fall over it was enough.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 03:13:39 pm by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #605 on: March 16, 2021, 07:45:48 pm »
Be Honest, would you paint here?

Casual lick of paint on Blackpool Tower..

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #606 on: March 16, 2021, 07:49:48 pm »
I would in my hole.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #607 on: March 16, 2021, 07:50:29 pm »
Did not think Blackpool Tower was that tall.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #608 on: March 16, 2021, 07:57:09 pm »
Did not think Blackpool Tower was that tall.

You can see it from the Isle of Man on a clear day
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #609 on: March 16, 2021, 08:14:23 pm »
You can see it from the Isle of Man on a clear day

No way, never been to either.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #610 on: March 17, 2021, 03:33:16 pm »
I hate this thread, but am annoyingly drawn to it every so often.

I swooned the first time I stepped out onto the viewing platform of Monument in London - and that's got wire caging all round it.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #611 on: March 17, 2021, 03:49:15 pm »
I hate this thread, but am annoyingly drawn to it every so often.

I swooned the first time I stepped out onto the viewing platform of Monument in London - and that's got wire caging all round it.

Don’t you have to walk up narrow spiral stairs to get to that bit? The hats another thing that I hated about the Sagrada Familia. Especially passing people going the other way.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #612 on: March 17, 2021, 04:10:09 pm »
Don’t you have to walk up narrow spiral stairs to get to that bit? The hats another thing that I hated about the Sagrada Familia. Especially passing people going the other way.

311 of them, and increasingly narrow as you go up. Open drop right down the middle, but that didn't bother me somehow.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #613 on: March 17, 2021, 04:14:28 pm »
Oof. How high is the bannister?

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: March 17, 2021, 04:15:52 pm »
I'm 6' and it was to my hip

:-\

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #615 on: March 17, 2021, 04:34:21 pm »
Fuck that ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #616 on: March 18, 2021, 07:45:25 pm »
Not safe for those who fear heights..if this doesn't get you nothing will.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1370359167890776071

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #617 on: March 18, 2021, 07:46:56 pm »
Yep, made me feel very queasy. I mean, white loafers?

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #618 on: March 18, 2021, 07:48:48 pm »
You clicked it didn't you?  ;D

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: March 18, 2021, 08:30:49 pm »
You clicked it didn't you?  ;D

The missus made me turn it off ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #620 on: March 18, 2021, 08:58:26 pm »
Oh Jesus Christ

These people are sick... that’s horrific
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #621 on: March 19, 2021, 08:37:11 am »
Not safe for those who fear heights..if this doesn't get you nothing will.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1370359167890776071

what is the matter with these people

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #622 on: March 24, 2021, 02:04:15 pm »
Yep, made me feel very queasy. I mean, white loafers?

What you saying

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #623 on: March 24, 2021, 02:40:44 pm »
What you saying

Aah, you outside Attik in the ‘Fax. The good old days pre-lockdown.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: March 24, 2021, 03:11:31 pm »
What you saying

Dodgy dress sense and a fake Ferrari
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #625 on: March 24, 2021, 03:23:50 pm »
Jesus...........
That fella on Blackpool Tower sent my legs to jelly.
Then that spiral staircase..............

I remember a spiral staircase in a lighthouse in France. Handrail against the wall and a 3ft barrier separating the other side of the staircase from the lighthouse floor.
It was basically a shell with a staircase to the light room. I was attached to the wall side of the staircase like a limpet. Terrifying.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #626 on: March 25, 2021, 04:12:16 pm »
Aah, you outside Attik in the ‘Fax. The good old days pre-lockdown.

Had to look up Atik in Halifax - it was and will always be remembered as the Colosseum

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #627 on: March 25, 2021, 04:25:59 pm »
Had to look up Atik in Halifax - it was and will always be remembered as the Colosseum

Haha, I just went off google maps. It was that or Maggie’s!

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: March 26, 2021, 08:33:48 pm »
More like would you crawl in here?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fp0qUNmZPIk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fp0qUNmZPIk</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MZXTv8WZ7yo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MZXTv8WZ7yo</a>
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: March 26, 2021, 08:38:44 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fp0qUNmZPIk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fp0qUNmZPIk</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MZXTv8WZ7yo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MZXTv8WZ7yo</a>

No way. Getting trapped in a narrow gap in a cave is a proper fear. No fears of going in a large cave, went underground on a school trip in caves where they turned the lights off and I was OK with that, but no way would I be squeezing through gaps like that.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #630 on: March 26, 2021, 08:43:09 pm »
Agree Rob. That’s gives me the heebie jeebies too. Things like that where you can’t turn around to get through shits me up. How’s that fun? And which nut job first thought he’d explore that not knowing how he’d be able to get back out?

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #631 on: March 26, 2021, 09:36:58 pm »

Absolutely no chance as I don't like closed spaces . Iam not a fan of looking down from high spaces either. If I was given a choice of crawling through that with a 100% chance of getting out or jumping from a plane with a dodgy parachute with a 50% of it opening I'd choose the latter.

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #632 on: March 26, 2021, 10:29:26 pm »

No no no no no no no no no!
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #633 on: March 27, 2021, 03:33:54 pm »
Feck that a 1,000 times over, not a chance.

I did a bit of pot holing as a youth on one of those outward bound centre things on Dartmoor. It involved a few tight squeezes and one tight crawl where you could push your fingers into the sides of the soft clay walls. That freaked me out as I started imagining the whole thing squashing flat under the weight of the ground above. Few worse feelings than panic rising in the chest, underground in a tight space.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #634 on: March 27, 2021, 03:35:26 pm »
Feck that a 1,000 times over, not a chance.

I did a bit of pot holing as a youth on one of those outward bound centre things on Dartmoor. It involved a few tight squeezes and one tight crawl where you could push your fingers into the sides of the soft clay walls. That freaked me out as I started imagining the whole thing squashing flat under the weight of the ground above. Few worse feelings than panic rising in the chest, underground in a tight space.

I've no head for heights but pot holing in a confined space.

No chance.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #635 on: March 27, 2021, 03:43:53 pm »
I've no head for heights but pot holing in a confined space.

No chance.
Me neither. I was a fearless teenager at the time and it still freaked me out. The same ‘holiday’ we had to climb up this 200 foot rock pinnacle which made me realise I’ve no head for heights either. Got to the top and there’s just enough room for three lads and the instructor to sit...200 foot drop on all four sides. It was bad enough climbing up there, but sitting on that summit was terrifying. I remember saying to the instructor, ‘so how do we get down?’ And he goes, we abseil. I nearly passed out ;D

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #636 on: March 28, 2021, 11:37:38 pm »
Me neither. I was a fearless teenager at the time and it still freaked me out. The same ‘holiday’ we had to climb up this 200 foot rock pinnacle which made me realise I’ve no head for heights either. Got to the top and there’s just enough room for three lads and the instructor to sit...200 foot drop on all four sides. It was bad enough climbing up there, but sitting on that summit was terrifying. I remember saying to the instructor, ‘so how do we get down?’ And he goes, we abseil. I nearly passed out ;D
:lmao
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #637 on: June 2, 2021, 08:28:46 pm »
https://twitter.com/i/status/1398934709665603584

I remember watching this at the time and my thoughts are the same now as back then: fuck that right off.

I'd have had a total mental breakdown before I got to the first plinth.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #638 on: June 2, 2021, 08:30:42 pm »
Not a fucking chance in hell.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #639 on: June 2, 2021, 09:33:48 pm »
Well done John Noakes.  :o

I genuinely would not climb that if there was a cheque for a million quid written out to me at the top.