Author Topic: The Men in Suits behind the scenes  (Read 591437 times)

Offline koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
Re: Michael Edwards and the Men in Suits behind the scenes
« Reply #1200 on: August 30, 2021, 10:47:58 am »
I'm sure whoever replaces him will be fine.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1201 on: August 30, 2021, 10:57:02 am »
Exactly.

Won’t stop the sky falling in for plenty of people though.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #1202 on: August 30, 2021, 11:18:35 am »
It'll be sad to see him go, if he goes. Such a big part of our recent success, something of a backstage legend. But change can be good; the next person might be even better at the job, and it's not like he'd be taking the system and all the data with him.

From the Edwardian era to the Red Wardian era
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1203 on: August 30, 2021, 11:19:02 am »

Probably will be too.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1204 on: August 30, 2021, 11:21:43 am »
It'll be sad to see him go, if he goes. Such a big part of our recent success, something of a backstage legend. But change can be good; the next person might be even better at the job, and it's not like he'd be taking the system and all the data with him.

We just need to remember to change the password to our database once he leaves.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1205 on: August 30, 2021, 11:25:27 am »
Mikey told FSG not to worry because he is indispensable. Just on RAWK there’s at least 30 people who believes they can do a better job than him …
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1206 on: August 30, 2021, 11:28:31 am »

Ed Woodward it is then.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1207 on: August 30, 2021, 11:36:05 am »
As well as Davies someone on reddit reckons Ward was the scout responsible for Aspas, Markovic and Moreno. Give Edwards what he wants!  :P

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1208 on: August 30, 2021, 11:38:16 am »
FSG will rue his departure if he goes, without his brilliant work fuck knows where we'd be now.
I just hope there isn't anything sinister behind it..headhunted with a massive salary sitting in a lounger in the Seychelles scratching his bollocks by some dirty bastards just to weaken us.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1209 on: August 30, 2021, 11:39:03 am »
Is it true that Real Madrid wants him?
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1210 on: August 30, 2021, 11:39:14 am »
As well as Davies someone on reddit reckons Ward was the scout responsible for Aspas, Markovic and Moreno. Give Edwards what he wants!  :P

That all sounds very convenient. Edwards only scouted the successes, Ward all the duds.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1211 on: August 30, 2021, 11:41:45 am »

According to his LinkedIn he was the scouting manager for the Spain and Portugal region at the time so his job would have been to compile the reports from his scouts in the region and send them on to the club to make decisions.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1212 on: August 30, 2021, 11:41:57 am »
That all sounds very convenient. Edwards only scouted the successes, Ward all the duds.

Of course what they do is amazing and all that but were some of our best signings not quite obvious? I mean, Alisson was being touted as class for a good while before he bought him, Van Dijk was clearly amazing, as was Fabinho and as was Salah.

There are some others less well known like Robertson, Gini etc.

Not downplaying at all what he does and what the club does but the numbers kind of spoke for themselves at the time, particularly with Salah.

I think when someone like that goes its the connections that are lost that is the problem.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 11:45:11 am by a treeless whopper »

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1213 on: August 30, 2021, 11:42:43 am »
Is it true that Real Madrid wants him?

Ornstein saying there aren't any other clubs involved

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1214 on: August 30, 2021, 11:44:08 am »
Well that's not very good is it?

I hope he's only leaving if he truly fancies something else. Not sure if there's any better jobs out there for him, because there's certainly no better club for him. Hope his replacement is on his level.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline palimpsest

• Kopite
« Reply #1215 on: August 30, 2021, 11:44:24 am »
FSG will rue his departure if he goes, without his brilliant work fuck knows where we'd be now.
I just hope there isn't anything sinister behind it..headhunted with a massive salary sitting in a lounger in the Seychelles scratching his bollocks by some dirty bastards just to weaken us.

Not sure who's doing the bollocks scratching: the salary, Edwards, dirty bastards :D

Sad to see him go, and a little scary. He's been instrumental in our success under Klopp. But I'm sure he will be replaced adequately. People move on, it's inevitable.
We had dreams and songs to sing...

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1216 on: August 30, 2021, 11:45:09 am »
It's always the way. Edwards was responsible for the bad buys before he was suddenly good.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1217 on: August 30, 2021, 11:47:21 am »
It's always the way. Edwards was responsible for the bad buys before he was suddenly good.

I remember when Brendan Rodgers was here the press were putting out stories (particularly from Brendan's side) how shite players like Firmino had been bought.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
FSG will push the boat out if there is a generational talent available apparently. Proviso is they must accept mid level wages starting off, price must not exceed 40million and no other club can be interested.

Exhausting working to that brief.

And even then, we can only buy after we've sold players.
Shame. Transfer committee has shown they can find players that suit Klopp's vision. They've shown that if given money, they can build a title winning squad.
I'm not sure FSG are all that interested in spending to sustain building a dynasty. I do wonder where Michael Edwards fits into all this, seems like our expenditure days where we purchase several promising players in a summer that can challenge for the starting lineup, are gone.

Last 3 windows have been a buyers market, and we haven't shown interest to really spend the cash unless we sell. However, it isn't the best time to get value selling players. Might not be as stimulating a job as in prior seasons when Edwards was part ofa committee with a clear mandate of building the squad up to compete for trophies. Unless we have another Coutinho to sell at an overpriced value of 140mill, I'm not sure how Edwards is supposed to build a dynasty,  or rebuild the next title challenging team once Salah &Co hit the other side of 30. At least, I can't see it if FSG won't invest from their own pockets up to the FFP limit.

In the meantime,  cue the posts on how Edwards isn't actually responsible for our transfer successes, and how person X can replace him quite conveniently.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #1219 on: August 30, 2021, 11:52:54 am »
YOU SAYIN AGENT99S A LIAR ARE YA NICK? WELL HAVE TO WATCH HIM

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1220 on: August 30, 2021, 11:58:14 am »
YOU SAYIN AGENT99S A LIAR ARE YA NICK? WELL HAVE TO WATCH HIM

:D Not him necessarily. More his shady contact on Reddit. But we’ll continue to monitor him until we get definitive proof either way.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1221 on: August 30, 2021, 12:14:23 pm »
I remember when Brendan Rodgers was here the press were putting out stories (particularly from Brendan's side) how shite players like Firmino had been bought.

that prick Neil Ashton did a real hatchet job on Michael Edwards when Rodgers was sacked I think, article in the Mail.

The whole ‘laptop Eddie’ theme. The article was countered by James Pearce in the Echo.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: Liverpool FC - stuff about the less well known men in the suits
« Reply #1222 on: August 30, 2021, 12:15:11 pm »
Was the most random of shouts by indykaila and turned out to be true. I never believed anything any of things those ITKs write on twitter, but this makes me rethink my view on him. There is no way he's making that random rumour up out of thin air and its confirmed 3 days later.

About Edwards: I just hope hes not going to any of our PL rivals, especially not any team with a big budget. Did wonders on a kind of tight budget, if he gets to splash it that team might be scary.

These ITKs make hundreds of random shouts then delete most, but sometimes coincidences occur. They then live off the coincidence as people see that as confirming they do have inside knowledge. It’s like guessing the score. It’s just a guess, even if you’re correct. He actually claimed Edwards is off to Real Madrid, which doesn’t seem to be part of the news, so he wasn’t completely correct.

He also said Ronaldo would be making his debut for City against LCFC... if that was the case, you’d be saying he got that right, when in fact it was just a guess that was wrong
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 12:21:35 pm by Peabee »
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Him and klopp are the two I dread leaving the most. Reading up about ward having a big say in the signing of Davies doesn’t fill you up with huge confidence that FSG will replace him adequately. Still remember the horror show from Ian ayre before  :butt

Well, if he was given a day to Find a CB under £1m, then he fulfilled the brief. We’ll end up making a profit on Ben Davies too.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1224 on: August 30, 2021, 12:21:46 pm »
that prick Neil Ashton did a real hatchet job on Michael Edwards when Rodgers was sacked I think, article in the Mail.

The whole ‘laptop Eddie’ theme. The article was countered by James Pearce in the Echo.

Doesn't that sum it up exactly though. Rodgers contacts in the press were briefing against Edwards and Edwards contacts in the press were briefing against Rodgers. It was shambolic sniping at each other in the Newspapers instead of just sitting down and sorting out their differences.

Thankfully Jurgen came in and got everyone on the same page and pulling together.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #1225 on: August 30, 2021, 12:47:22 pm »
Don't worry Harvey Elliot can replace him, too.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1226 on: August 30, 2021, 01:03:30 pm »
Doesn't that sum it up exactly though. Rodgers contacts in the press were briefing against Edwards and Edwards contacts in the press were briefing against Rodgers. It was shambolic sniping at each other in the Newspapers instead of just sitting down and sorting out their differences.

Thankfully Jurgen came in and got everyone on the same page and pulling together.
Rodgers made his own bed from day 1 when he blatantly shot down Ayre talking about a DOF. Fair enough if he could talk the talk but his recruitment record and eye for a player was and remains very poor. He saw Edwards and the rest of the committee as a hindrance at best, the enemy within at worst, so naturally when he got the sack he was quick to point the finger.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1227 on: August 30, 2021, 01:08:33 pm »

Rodgers was a nightmare though with regards to signings. Would hide behind  the 'committee' if a signing didn't work out, would brief the press he didn't want this or that player anyway,  would discard players after 5 minutes or passively aggressively go out of his way not to use them if his push to buy Ashley Williams or whoever didn't win out. The Klopp years have shown Edwards's team weren't the problem there.

Firmino would have been a flop had Rodgers stayed because he had no idea how to use him.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline UNO

• Kopite
« Reply #1228 on: August 30, 2021, 01:14:26 pm »
Not surprised to see Edwards want to leave while his stock is still high! After the last 3 windows, he is fully aware of how the stingy FSG operates. No one can perform miracles time and time again in this competitive market.

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
« Reply #1229 on: August 30, 2021, 01:16:06 pm »
Ed Woodward it is then.

Maybe change is in the ayre.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1230 on: August 30, 2021, 01:24:56 pm »
Rodgers was a nightmare though with regards to signings. Would hide behind  the 'committee' if a signing didn't work out, would brief the press he didn't want this or that player anyway,  would discard players after 5 minutes or passively aggressively go out of his way not to use them if his push to buy Ashley Williams or whoever didn't win out. The Klopp years have shown Edwards's team weren't the problem there.

Firmino would have been a flop had Rodgers stayed because he had no idea how to use him.
Let’s not forget that Clint Dempsey swap for Hendo.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #1231 on: August 30, 2021, 01:28:31 pm »
As great a job as Klopp has done, finally having that spell of great success (first title in 30 years, 99 and 97 points, successive CL finals, number 6) was also down to the club finally having the right people in the key positions. To lose Michael Edwards, Peter Moore and Andy Massey in the space of a couple of years would be a big loss.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #1232 on: August 30, 2021, 01:38:57 pm »
Who has the Glengarry leads?

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1233 on: August 30, 2021, 01:42:27 pm »
Rodgers made his own bed from day 1 when he blatantly shot down Ayre talking about a DOF. Fair enough if he could talk the talk but his recruitment record and eye for a player was and remains very poor. He saw Edwards and the rest of the committee as a hindrance at best, the enemy within at worst, so naturally when he got the sack he was quick to point the finger.

Not a huge fan of Rodgers but I think that is unfair.

Rodgers initially turned down the job because he didn't want to work under a DoF. We then went back in for him and said we wouldn't have a DoF. Only for Ayre to spring it on him at his first press conference that we were still looking for a DoF.

It summed up how badly the club was being run at that time. It is very simple if you want a DoF and coach then recruit a coach that is happy to work under a DoF. Don't try and spring it on the coach at his unveiling.

Even worse don't then come up with the shit show compromise that was the Transfer committee.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #1234 on: August 30, 2021, 01:48:44 pm »
Who has the Glengarry leads?
Put that coffee. Down.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #1235 on: August 30, 2021, 01:49:32 pm »
Serious question here..
In the old days you had the owner, the manager and the players.

Where does the modern day DoF fit into this and what is her/his role and responsibilities?
Is the role needed if the manager is great?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1236 on: August 30, 2021, 01:50:33 pm »
Not a huge fan of Rodgers but I think that is unfair.

Rodgers initially turned down the job because he didn't want to work under a DoF. We then went back in for him and said we wouldn't have a DoF. Only for Ayre to spring it on him at his first press conference that we were still looking for a DoF.

It summed up how badly the club was being run at that time. It is very simple if you want a DoF and coach then recruit a coach that is happy to work under a DoF. Don't try and spring it on the coach at his unveiling.

Even worse don't then come up with the shit show compromise that was the Transfer committee.

the only mistake there was backing down to the demands of a coach/manager who didn’t have that strong a CV.

It should have been ‘we’re going to work with a sporting director, if you aren’t willing to do that, then you aren’t the manager for us’.

Worked out fine in the end like, as it led in a round-about way to Jürgen Klopp  :P

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1237 on: August 30, 2021, 01:52:06 pm »
the only mistake there was backing down to the demands of a coach/manager who didn’t have that strong a CV.

It should have been ‘we’re going to work with a sporting director, if you aren’t willing to do that, then you aren’t the manager for us’.

Worked out fine in the end like, as it led in a round-about way to Jürgen Klopp  :P

Exactly.

The big issue for me was ending up with a shortlist of Rodgers and Bobby brown shoes.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1238 on: August 30, 2021, 01:53:58 pm »
Worrying thing is he would have chosen Klopp’s successor.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1239 on: August 30, 2021, 01:54:59 pm »
Serious question here..
In the old days you had the owner, the manager and the players.

Where does the modern day DoF fit into this and what is her/his role and responsibilities?
Is the role needed if the manager is great?

these days I think it is. I mean - we have a great manager and he doesn't want to work without one!

Way back then a manager only had to deal with a smallish squad.  Now they have to deal with double the amount of players in a squad. And such is the shitshow that is modern football at the highest level, there’s a lot more than just the footballing side to deal with - plus the agents.  Plus it’s become so analytics based.