Author Topic: HDR (the new new new new) Industry standard!  (Read 1445 times)

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
  • Club first country second
HDR (the new new new new) Industry standard!
« on: October 21, 2016, 12:43:33 pm »
Hi chaps, just when we think we've been( stupid) clever enough to stay up to date with our ultra 4K tvs there's yet another game changer HsoddingDR
I pee ordered the PS pro but then found out it supported HDR and my UHD TV didn't. Bugger.

After a bit of research I found out that HDR is normally just a software upgrade that may or may not be available for us UK TV owners yet.
I found a thread on AV forums for my make/model of TV and I found out there had been 2 new updates made available in all of Europe bar UK. A quick link and download later, then a pause of breath while I attempted to upgrade the firmware via USB stick and voila, my TV is now HDR compatible!

From the research (quick read online) I've done it would seem that if you've got a first wave 4 K TV you might be unlucky with a possible update to HDR, (I could be wrong on this) BUT if your panel is of the Ultra 4K variety then HDR is merely a software tweak (quite a big one) and although your TV might not update automaticly there may well be a firmware update in Europe for your TV.

Just thought I'd pass this on for the tech mentalists like myself :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 12:45:12 pm by pezzzer »
metallic on psn, cod4 buddies welcome

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
Re: HDR (the new new new new) Industry standard!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 12:45:05 pm »
Hi chaps, just when we think we've been( stupid) clever enough to stay up to date with our ultra 4K tvs there's yet another game changer HsoddingDR
I pee ordered the PS pro but then found out it supported HDR and my UHD TV didn't. Bugger.

After a bit of research I found out that HDR is normally just a software upgrade that may or may not be available for us UK TV owners yet.
I found a thread on AV forums for my make/model of TV and I found myself it there had been 2 new updates made available in all of Europe bar UK. A quick link and download later, then a pause of breath while I attempted to upgrade the firmware via USB stick and voila, my TV is now HDR compatible!

From the research (quick read online) I've done it would seem that if you've got a first wave 4 K TV you might be unlucky with a possible update to HDR, (I could be wrong on this) BUT if your panel is of the Ultra 4K variety then HDR is merely a software tweak (quite a big one) and although your TV might not update automaticly there may well be a firmware update in Europe for your TV.

Just thought I'd pass this on for the tech mentalists like myself :)

HDR has been available for some time, in the UK also, I have it on my SONY TV, what TV do you have, from that you should be able to see if it's going to be available or not but I didn't think it was an update?

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 01:26:10 pm »
HDR has been available for some time, in the UK also, I have it on my SONY TV, what TV do you have, from that you should be able to see if it's going to be available or not but I didn't think it was an update?
I was only made aware of it a cpl of weeks ago mate, I thought being UHD was the industry standard. I've got a Hisense 65" . I did a bit of homework before I bo(ught it and it got pretty descent reviews, I got it from richer sounds as they add a 6 year warranty on for free.
I guess the Chinese aren't that quick with the UK software updates lol.
According to the bods on AV forums it is just an update for ultra 4K screens unless it's an older model.
I can confirm that my TV didn't have the option for HDR but now it does, the guys on there are running BT boxes that provide a HDR demo channel and it works really well at he correct resolution for HDR so it's a bit of a relief a new set isn't required.
I tried to update via the TVs update option but it was up to date but that only checks the UK updates. My update came from the French Hisense site via one of the members on AV mate.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 01:54:58 pm »
I was only made aware of it a cpl of weeks ago mate, I thought being UHD was the industry standard. I've got a Hisense 65" . I did a bit of homework before I bo(ught it and it got pretty descent reviews, I got it from richer sounds as they add a 6 year warranty on for free.
I guess the Chinese aren't that quick with the UK software updates lol.
According to the bods on AV forums it is just an update for ultra 4K screens unless it's an older model.
I can confirm that my TV didn't have the option for HDR but now it does, the guys on there are running BT boxes that provide a HDR demo channel and it works really well at he correct resolution for HDR so it's a bit of a relief a new set isn't required.
I tried to update via the TVs update option but it was up to date but that only checks the UK updates. My update came from the French Hisense site via one of the members on AV mate.

check with the place you got it from, they may be able to provide an offline update?

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 02:22:13 pm »
check with the place you got it from, they may be able to provide an offline update?
I've already got it mate, one of the guys on AV forums uploaded it to MEGA so I downloaded it and installed it. Well happy with the increased picture quality on 4K Netflix, I haven't tried anything in HDR yet though.

Offline sonny crockett

• Been highly respecting A@A since 2007, honestly, thinks the world of him!
  • Kopite
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 05:25:49 am »
It's my understanding that 4K HDR TV's have terrible input lag and not best suited to gaming at the moment.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 09:38:30 am »
Some do and some don't. depends on the model.

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 01:05:00 pm »
Il let you know on the 10th of November when the PS pro is out. I think Dolby are doing a similar system in rivalry to HDR, looks like it could be another Blu-ray/HD-DVD war :)

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 02:38:34 pm »
Il let you know on the 10th of November when the PS pro is out. I think Dolby are doing a similar system in rivalry to HDR, looks like it could be another Blu-ray/HD-DVD war :)

Normal PS4 can cope with HDR now as well if you have one of them. They added it via a software update
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A