Author Topic: Nintendo Switch (was NX)  (Read 113871 times)

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Nintendo Switch (was NX)
« Reply #920 on: April 21, 2020, 03:34:12 pm »
Cant be arsed looking for the post, but I had a joy con issue about 3 years ago. As have many hundreds, probably thousands of others. Why is the issue still going on 3 years later, and why are they continuing to charge people to fix it if it's a common problem and has been since the console was released?

I tried new joy cons, and it didnt resolve the issue. Ended up having to get a new console. Thankfully the woman in Argos had a heart and didnt want to see my lad devastated on his birthday when I brought it back 2 days out of the refund window.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Amatt

• Amoo, Amass.....
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #921 on: April 21, 2020, 07:19:12 pm »
Cant be arsed looking for the post, but I had a joy con issue about 3 years ago. As have many hundreds, probably thousands of others. Why is the issue still going on 3 years later, and why are they continuing to charge people to fix it if it's a common problem and has been since the console was released?

I tried new joy cons, and it didnt resolve the issue. Ended up having to get a new console. Thankfully the woman in Argos had a heart and didnt want to see my lad devastated on his birthday when I brought it back 2 days out of the refund window.

I emailed Nintendo last night to tell them I’m not paying £157 so to send it back un-repaired. Will try another joycon first and if that doesn’t work will try a console repair shop.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #922 on: April 21, 2020, 07:30:47 pm »
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/cu0y9d/how_i_got_a_free_joycon_repair_uk/

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-07-24-nintendo-will-fix-joy-cons-experiencing-drift-for-free  - as this shows, US have admitted there's an issue and are repairing/replacing them

They are shite with their customer service. My experience of it was with their previous console, the Wii U. Mario Kart 8 had a weird memory issue where one day it just stopped loading certain tracks and would crash every time. I sent it in for them to sort it out and they couldn't even find an issue with it. I know it was an issue as I bought the physical copy first, had the issue, then bought a digital copy instead and still had the same issue. Didn't get charged (except for the original postage) but they were shite at handling it and refused to acknowledge a problem.

Sadly I am addicted to their games so stuck with them.

get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #923 on: May 3, 2020, 10:01:48 pm »
Sold a Nintendo Switch (with a couple of known joycon faults) on eBay last week. Buyer came in late on and added an extra £10 to give a decent price.

Was very pleased with the sale, but no contact from the buyer. 24 hours later the twat messages me saying his son accessed his account and bought it and that he wouldn't be paying. :no

Nothing I can do but relist it. Very frustrating!

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #924 on: May 3, 2020, 11:40:57 pm »
is this the analog stick drifting issues?  this affects switch too?  had it on an xbox one controller. its a real pain the ass.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #925 on: May 4, 2020, 06:31:29 am »
Also have the right joycon issue. It seems to be a known issue by the looks of responses here. Not sure why Nintendo isn't doing more to support customers.

Why would you pay that much for a repair if you could just buy another pair though?

I find that the issue tends to come and go, so if you have another pair to switch to, by the time the pair you're using needs recharging, the other pair will be fine.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #926 on: May 4, 2020, 12:39:05 pm »
Sold a Nintendo Switch (with a couple of known joycon faults) on eBay last week. Buyer came in late on and added an extra £10 to give a decent price.

Was very pleased with the sale, but no contact from the buyer. 24 hours later the twat messages me saying his son accessed his account and bought it and that he wouldn't be paying. :no

Nothing I can do but relist it. Very frustrating!

How did you cancel the sale?

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Archive-Seller-Central/Buyer-has-pulled-out-what-should-I-do/td-p/3585553

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #927 on: May 4, 2020, 01:07:03 pm »
I find that the issue tends to come and go, so if you have another pair to switch to, by the time the pair you're using needs recharging, the other pair will be fine.

Not the case, to be honest. It's a mechanical defect, so it will get worse over time, and if you buy a new pair it'll happen to them eventually too. Shocking stuff to be honest. At least with the regular Switch you've got the (albeit shitty) option of replacing the cons - if you've got a Lite, you're fucked and you have to replace the whole thing, which means games like Animal Crossing which saves to the console itself and doesn't provide any cloud backup services as of yet (ffs), you'll lose your entire save. I wouldn't touch one of them with a bargepole.

There are some videos on how you can fix drift on the regular Switch but it's only temporary and pretty fiddly.

Bought our Switch for Christmas and we've had no issues yet, although the stick on the left joycon is pretty loose and rattly and you can see it sort of drooping down compared to the right hand side. Aware we're probably on borrowed time and it puts me off playing things like Smash Bros which is very heavy on the controllers.

« Last Edit: May 4, 2020, 01:08:45 pm by Snail »

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #928 on: May 4, 2020, 05:01:03 pm »
How did you cancel the sale?

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Archive-Seller-Central/Buyer-has-pulled-out-what-should-I-do/td-p/3585553

Reported it to the dispute resolution centre. After 4 days it’s closed as buyer not paid.

I’ll get the final value fee back as a credit for which I can request a refund. But I’ve lost the listing fee.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2020, 05:20:13 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #929 on: May 6, 2020, 01:22:40 pm »
Does anyone play Mario Kart 8 deluxe online?

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Round the fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #930 on: May 11, 2020, 07:09:58 pm »
Has the switch got any type of game pass? Got mine last week and Im loving it so far.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #931 on: May 12, 2020, 10:10:08 pm »
Bought the switch at launch and my original joycons both died this month. We have a 2 year warranty here so I don't think I can do anything. The blue one constantly disconnects (it always did, but now it's every 30 seconds or so!) and the red one's shoulder buttons broke. Bought some new ones (orange and purple) for 80€ which seem fine thankfully.  I had also bought some black about 6 months after launch and haven't had any issue with them.  Lucky Nintendo make such bloody good games or I'd be fuming.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #932 on: May 12, 2020, 11:50:28 pm »
I had to venture out about 4 miles to a Superdrug over the weekend to get some Surgical Spirits which would help fix 3 of my 4 joycon pieces... It worked for about 30 mins and then they went back to drifting and a clicky-sticky button. Quite annoying! Not sure what to do as I don't want to get them repaired, but its 2 different JoyCons that are breaking :(

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #933 on: June 13, 2020, 11:40:09 am »
Any good recommendations fron the current sale?

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #934 on: June 13, 2020, 06:19:53 pm »
Any good recommendations fron the current sale?

Bought a bunch of indie titles for the Switch and about to start working my way through them:

Burley Men At Sea
Unravel Two
STAY
We The Revolution
Valiant Hearts
Guard Duty

I’ve played 4 out of the above six and would recommend Unravel Two and Valiant Hearts in particular if they’re on offer.

STAY is an interesting concept and worth getting if cheap. It’s a fun way to spend an evening. It works best IMO if you play it through in one go.

Burley Men At Sea is a very pretty game and had some funny/charming moments but there’s not an awful lot to it. The last two I’m going to start shortly when I’ve finished Valiant Hearts.

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #935 on: June 13, 2020, 09:15:01 pm »
Il have a look at them mate, nice one

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #936 on: June 14, 2020, 10:48:22 am »
I bought Serial Cleaner, Mark of the ninja, Witcher 3 and Edith Finch. Great sale to be honest, so many quality titles half priced or less.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #937 on: September 19, 2020, 08:19:13 am »
Does anyone know why Mario Kart 8 costs more to download than buy the cartridge? Do you get extras or is it just the way Nintendo worto ks.
(Happy to say we have one on the way finally, though just bought super mario something for wii U for a tenner, and wondering why i've been bullied into the swtich!)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #938 on: September 19, 2020, 08:52:40 am »
That's just the way Nintendo work. I've rarely seen that game on sale on the store, same goes for Zelda and Mario. The cartridge version should be identical to the digital one unless stated otherwise on the store page.

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #939 on: September 20, 2020, 09:27:19 am »
Thanks Mr unspellable username!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #940 on: September 20, 2020, 09:30:07 am »
I’m using cdkeys.com to buy codes for those major Nintendo titles. Cheaper than eShop where they are never discounted at all.

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #941 on: September 20, 2020, 07:40:05 pm »
Thanks zlen. Didn't think of that. And I've just used them for Windows 10!

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #942 on: October 31, 2020, 03:09:35 pm »
Thinking about buying a switch for mostly handheld gaming when herself takes over ps4/ps5.  What do likes of Skyrim, the Witcher , BioShock collection & Ni No kuni run like on it handheld ? I’d like replay the stories again .
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #943 on: October 31, 2020, 03:26:22 pm »
Only played Switcher 3 out of those. Visuals were not that great honestly, but it was my first time playing it and I had a blast. No freezing or bad frame dips - ran really well for probably 140h it took me to go through the game and both DLC’s.

If you’re chasing AAA titles on handheld, there are some, but I’d say the real strength of Switch is in Nintendo titles and lush collection of indie games available.

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #944 on: October 31, 2020, 06:27:32 pm »
Ita finally here. Hermes lost the first one. Nintendo customer service are shocking. Must say I'm disappointed by that.
The joycon thing is poor too. We are all addicted to their games though so will just suck it up.

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #945 on: October 31, 2020, 09:01:31 pm »
Only played Switcher 3 out of those. Visuals were not that great honestly, but it was my first time playing it and I had a blast. No freezing or bad frame dips - ran really well for probably 140h it took me to go through the game and both DLC’s.

If you’re chasing AAA titles on handheld, there are some, but I’d say the real strength of Switch is in Nintendo titles and lush collection of indie games available.
Nah Iv the PlayStations for the AAA games .
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #946 on: December 8, 2020, 08:32:55 am »
Hi folks, Switch newbie here, I'm getting one for Christmas "for the family" ;-)

Can anyone help me out by telling me all the stuff I need to get started properly?

I found a good deal on a Switch console plus Breath of the Wild (old Zelda lover here). I also purchased a pro controller and Animal Crossing (I showed my wife a video of it to soften her up - by her reaction I get a feeling she might end up playing the thing more than I am!)

Do I need an SD card right from the start?

Do I need some sort of charging device for the controller and/or joycons?

Do I need any protective gear?

Any fun games that the wife and I could play together (vs. or co-op)?

Bonus question: Our daughter is nearly 2 years old now. Clearly  that's way too soon for video games, so the Switch will only be put to use during nap hours... Anyone with kids: At what age did you consider it appropriate for them to try out the console? And what are ideal starting games?

Cheers!

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #947 on: December 8, 2020, 09:06:07 am »
Can’t answer all of those but:
- Would definitely recommend an SD card, which doesn’t need to be huge but does help when you inevitably start buying games online.
- Get a screen protector and put it on before you do anything else with it. Loads available on Amazon but the packs of 2 or 3 are worth getting in case you get any issues putting on the first one. The screen can be quite scratch prone without a cover.
- charging options is probably worth waiting on until you’ve used it a bit to see if it’s worth it.
- Lots of games have coop options. Mario Odyssey has coop and is worth getting regardless, it’s another of the must haves along with BOTW.

My kids are 3 and 7. Our eldest plays Minecraft mostly but has enjoyed dipping in and out of most of the Switch games I play. I think he’s nearly ready for a go on Zelda on his own. The 3 year old sits with me and holds an old PS3 controller and ‘pretends’ he’s playing and loves it. He’ll also happily run my character around in Animal Crossing without actually doing anything.

I’ve loved ACNH during lockdown it’s a great bit of escapism from the real world. It’s not fast paced or particularly directed but generally up to you how you play it, which I’ve enjoyed. They’re adding bits fairly regularly to it and have regular events on the island which are fun. I find I tend to log onto it almost daily just to wander around for half an hour doing odd bits and reshaping sections of the island. As someone who’s mostly into big open world adult games it’s been a refreshing change. If your wife gets into it good luck getting much time on the console yourself...
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #948 on: December 8, 2020, 09:23:34 am »
Thanks mate, that's very helpful!

I was definitely planning on getting Mario Odyssey once I'm done with BOTW. I tend to feel overwhelmed if I have too many games at once and then end up just not touching any of them.

And thanks for the insight on your children's "gaming habits". Nintendo (the NES) was a huge part of my childhood so I'm very open to letting my daughter try out the Switch at some point.

By the way, I also read somewhere that if you get an online subscription you can download old Nintendo games. For free? And is there stuff like Donkey Kong and Mega Man (my old favs) on there?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #949 on: December 8, 2020, 10:09:12 am »
By the way, I also read somewhere that if you get an online subscription you can download old Nintendo games. For free? And is there stuff like Donkey Kong and Mega Man (my old favs) on there?

Yep. They have a NES and SNES library that is free when you subscribe.

This is probably the cheapest method and lasts a year.

https://www.cdkeys.com/nintendo/switch/nintendo-switch-online-12-month-365-day-membership-switch-cd-key

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #950 on: December 8, 2020, 01:58:19 pm »
Yeah, should have mentioned the online, it did come to mind but forgot to include it!

It’s good value overall and there are good catalogues of both NES and SNES games, which if nothing else have shown me that either games were harder back then or I’ve got worse!...

On the SNES side you have Mario world, Mario Kart, Super Mario All Stars, DK Country 1 and 2, F Zero, Star Fox and plenty more besides!
« Last Edit: December 8, 2020, 01:59:54 pm by Ed-Zeppelin »
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #951 on: December 9, 2020, 07:37:41 am »
Thanks, lads!

...DK Country 1 and 2, F Zero, Star Fox and plenty more besides!

OMG!

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #952 on: December 10, 2020, 01:54:46 pm »
Anyone know the best place to get a good bundle deal? Thinking of getting one as a surprise gift for my daughter/family but I'm surprised at how crazy expensive they still are.

Also are there any extras that you need to get such as controllers, SD cards etc?

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #953 on: December 10, 2020, 02:24:35 pm »
I'd recommend the switch pro controller if your getting the the normal switch. Also a SD card unless you are going more physical than digital. There was some deals round black Friday but nothing major.

Online Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #954 on: December 11, 2020, 11:13:55 am »
I'd recommend the switch pro controller if your getting the the normal switch. Also a SD card unless you are going more physical than digital. There was some deals round black Friday but nothing major.

From what I've looked at so far I'll probably hold off on a pro controller. Think for what we'd be playing on it the Joy-Cons will probably do for now. Will definitely look for an SD card though as 32gb storage isn't great.

All the bundle deals were pretty similar so I went with an Animal Crossing console and got Mario Kart and an extra pair of Joy-Cons as well. Will be a good laugh all having a go of Mario Kart on Christmas and I think my daughter will love something like Animal Crossing.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #955 on: December 11, 2020, 11:18:43 am »
Ghosts n' Goblins Resurrection has been announced for next year! Used to love the game on the SNES.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #956 on: December 11, 2020, 12:03:50 pm »
Just got one for my daughter for her birthday with Mario Kart. Only played on the portable screen so far. As well connecting to the tv through the HDMI is there also an option to stream it through the WiFi?

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #957 on: December 20, 2020, 12:50:25 pm »
Debating whether to get a switch lite. Was never much of a gamer but loved all the old nintendo stuff as a kid/teenager and was recently bought the Nintendo Game and Watch and really enjoyed playing Mario on that.

I'm not interested in playing on a console, just a handheld thing.

How much is the lite usually and are the games that come out made for both the lite and the console version?
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #958 on: December 20, 2020, 01:23:50 pm »
Not sure of the price in pounds, I got mine for 220e. It’s a pure handheld and yes - all Switch games work on it. It’s a brilliant console, perfect for quick pick n play sessions but comfotable enough for longer dives. Eshop is full to the brim of amazing indie games, but there are plenty of solid AAA titles and of course bunch of Nintendo gems.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #959 on: December 20, 2020, 10:08:33 pm »
Debating whether to get a switch lite. Was never much of a gamer but loved all the old nintendo stuff as a kid/teenager and was recently bought the Nintendo Game and Watch and really enjoyed playing Mario on that.

I'm not interested in playing on a console, just a handheld thing.

How much is the lite usually and are the games that come out made for both the lite and the console version?

Given the issues with the joycon drift I wouldn't get a Switch Lite. Pay 50 quid more and you get a console where you can replace the controllers or use pro controller. Alternatively I suppose if you're happy to send your console back to get fixed, that's a free method that's also available, albeit annoying.