Author Topic: Jordan Henderson  (Read 557611 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Believer
  • The first five yards........
Re: Jordan Henderson
« Reply #7000 on: October 3, 2019, 01:59:58 PM »
Yeah, off the ball I thought he was excellent. I'd kind of like to see him evolve into what Milner is for us though - a multi-skilled player with a great engine we can use to plug a whole range of gaps, rather than a mainstay of our best 11.

Me too. He's developed into a very good presser, but he's never going to be great resisting a press. He looked really flustered last night and, even when we were three up, was frequently making the wrong choices when we had the ball.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Keita gets up to speed. Ive long thought Hendo should be fighting for his place against Oxlade and Keita rather than Fabinho. Obviously Gini is a given.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Garnier

• Believer
  • there is no old firm
« Reply #7001 on: October 3, 2019, 02:27:12 PM »
Thought his pass to Trent for Robbo's goal was immense  8)
"What sounds great if you don't know what it actually means?

- Friendly Fire
- Athlete's Foot
- Outstanding Debt

Offline Lastrador

• Believer
  • "Tackling is for losers"
« Reply #7002 on: October 3, 2019, 02:53:20 PM »
Wijnaldum - in a game played at 300mph and against a hard-pressing opponent - didn't give the ball away once. Not once.
I'm not trying to shite on Gini because I really like him but surely that statement is not only an indictment of his superb ball control and composure but also on the lack of risk and penetration of his passes. And for all his composure he couldn't really get a grip of the midfield when things started to get tits up. As I say, I really rate him but he didn't have a good game yesterday no matter what the stats say. Hendo didn't have one either, but he was a big reason why we were playing so well until the 30th or so minute. The second goal is all on him and he was playing some great passes with some real intent. He also misplaced some of them of course, but that's par of course when you take risks on the ball. Things went south for him after his mistake for their goal but I was really liking what I was seeing from him until that. Hopefully he can find a better balance going forward between being progressive and positive and being too risky and careless.

Offline Fromola

• Such a Miserable F*cker!
  • Believer
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7003 on: October 3, 2019, 03:26:38 PM »
We're asking too much of Hendo and Fabinho. They struggled second half.

Offline hesbighesred

• But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #7004 on: October 3, 2019, 03:50:45 PM »
Me too. He's developed into a very good presser, but he's never going to be great resisting a press. He looked really flustered last night and, even when we were three up, was frequently making the wrong choices when we had the ball.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Keita gets up to speed. Ive long thought Hendo should be fighting for his place against Oxlade and Keita rather than Fabinho. Obviously Gini is a given.
If all were playing to their potential, I think there'd be an argument for having Ox and Keita rather than Gini, too. Another thing is that Hendo being less of a mainstay would free him up to cover Fabinho at times, I actually really like Henderson as a 6 against teams that sit back - sure, he's not a lockpicker of a passer but he recycles it quickly and efficiently and switches play brilliantly when he's got time to pick the pass. I really would like to see us be more proactive with rotation but it's not going to happen, it's just not how Klopp operates.

That said, if Keita/Oxlade gets a few games and our general play goes up a level then Henderson will probably find himself in that Milner role regardless of his status - because that *is* how Klopp rolls. He won't drop players, he won't rotate so much proactively and certainly not to play 'horses for courses' as Rafa did, and if you've got the shirt, it's yours to lose - but the same applies if you *get* the shirt - if you then perform undroppably while wearing it, well, you won't be dropped.

The upside of that approach is that the team spirit and team understanding is second to none.

Offline hesbighesred

• But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #7005 on: October 3, 2019, 03:59:14 PM »
Hopefully he can find a better balance going forward between being progressive and positive and being too risky and careless.
Hold on - so Hendo was taking risks, losing the ball a lot and cost us the second goal. Given that, you want Gini to ***up*** the riskiness of his passes?

The thing with Gini is that his tactical intelligence is off the scale. Watch him for Holland and he can take more risks because everyone in that team can keep the ball. Playing for us he's regularly surrounded by players playing high-risk/high-reward football, and his role is usually to be the player who *doesn't* do that. In a game like yesterdays having a player who *isn't* trying to take control of the game and is, instead, keeping possession and keeping control is invaluable, in my opinion.

Offline Scottymuser

• Kopite
« Reply #7006 on: October 3, 2019, 04:22:51 PM »
Hold on - so Hendo was taking risks, losing the ball a lot and cost us the second goal. Given that, you want Gini to ***up*** the riskiness of his passes?

The thing with Gini is that his tactical intelligence is off the scale. Watch him for Holland and he can take more risks because everyone in that team can keep the ball. Playing for us he's regularly surrounded by players playing high-risk/high-reward football, and his role is usually to be the player who *doesn't* do that. In a game like yesterdays having a player who *isn't* trying to take control of the game and is, instead, keeping possession and keeping control is invaluable, in my opinion.

I read that as the second goal we *scored* was down to him, with the incisive and perfectly weighted pass to Trent to put the cross in.  Hendo did lose the ball in the run up to the first goal, but you could equally put the blame on Gomez being turned so easily, meaning VVD had to come out of position.  And Hendo had *nothing* to do with their second goal - the free kick was stupidly given away by Gomez out of position, then when they took the quick free kick, Fabinho was within 3/4 yards of Minamino, and could/should have tracked his run, but he completely switched off, and lazily jogged back into a completely pointless position, leaving Minamino in acres of space to volley in (To be fair, Gini was not attempting to get back either, but he was a lot further up the pitch).  And the third, it was a combination of a lazy non-attempt at a tackle by gini on the edge of the box, followed by him rjogging out to robbo to "help out" which allowed their player the space to put a ball behind, which, again, Fabinho switched off and wasn't able to cover. 

So by my count, whilst only one of our goals was attributable to either of the 3 in midfield, which was the second (and was attributable to Hendo), all three of our goals were at least partly due to our midfield 3 switching off, and only 1 of them you could argue Hendo had any part it (whereas the other two Fabinho was definitely partly culpable for, and at least one of them Gini was).  I thought all three had poor games by their high standards yesterday, at least post the first 30-5  mins, but in the first 30-5 when we were playing well, it was definitely Hendo who was having the best game.  He certainly switched off "sooner" than the others, which may have lead to the others doing similarly.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2019, 04:37:23 PM by Scottymuser »

Offline Lastrador

• Believer
« Reply #7007 on: October 3, 2019, 04:47:25 PM »

I'm not trying to say he should do that, that are not his strengths. I'm saying him not losing possession is not that impressive because he doesn't take many risks on the ball, not that is a bad thing per se, although him missing some clear openings to play a through ball in forward positions does frustrate me at times. I'm also saying he didn't really do what you say he did on the bold part. He didn't help us take control of the game after we want 3 goals up and he didn't really influence the game as he can do, no matter what his individual stats might say. I'm not trying to discuss his role in the team I'm just talking about his last game yesterday in which I don't think he was very good.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Believer
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #7008 on: October 3, 2019, 05:05:36 PM »
Henderson has been a solid 7 this season and will continue to provide good value as one of the supporting midfielders. Competition for places and rotation and rest will keep him at his sharpest - which he was't yesterday (and also in the Sheffield game before).

I find he's getting the disproportionate blame for the midfield losing its grip, when it was a collective responsibility and they collectively lost the plot. Why couldn't the other two more technically proficient and press-resistant midfielders take control of the game and keep the ball then? Because we were caught in a bad spell which Salzburg exploited to the fullest, and as Klopp said post-match, the third, equalizing goal needed to come before we could calm down and collect ourselves.

Offline The Naby Keita fan club

• Kopite
« Reply #7009 on: October 3, 2019, 11:49:56 PM »
Thought his pass to Trent for Robbo's goal was immense  8)
Shame that about 90% fifa players will never appeciate that. They see it as a simple pass in their computer game. You need perfect weigt angle and everything, it was pure sex. And Jordans one-two prior to that. Superb play.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #7010 on: October 4, 2019, 12:18:57 AM »
Loving him in a more advanced role, plays with a bit more confidence higher up the field.

Offline just redk84 will do

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #7011 on: October 4, 2019, 10:11:40 AM »
Hendo is still mustard. Just has been a bit tired towards the end of the last couple games. Him and gini need rotation too so will be good to have Ox/Keita involved more
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Believer
« Reply #7012 on: October 4, 2019, 01:54:06 PM »
Henderson has been a solid 7 this season and will continue to provide good value as one of the supporting midfielders. Competition for places and rotation and rest will keep him at his sharpest - which he was't yesterday (and also in the Sheffield game before).

I find he's getting the disproportionate blame for the midfield losing its grip, when it was a collective responsibility and they collectively lost the plot. Why couldn't the other two more technically proficient and press-resistant midfielders take control of the game and keep the ball then? Because we were caught in a bad spell which Salzburg exploited to the fullest, and as Klopp said post-match, the third, equalizing goal needed to come before we could calm down and collect ourselves.

This pretty much nails it.

In the 1st paragraph you could substitute Henderson's name for Wijnaldum's and it would be equally truthful.

AS this season progresses we'll see a lot more rotation in midfield. What I find interesting is how we'll try and rotate Fabinho? Does that mean Wijnaldum or Henderson playing the No.6 on occasions? Or will we change shape to a 4-2-3-1 which we've switched to in the last 2 games during the 2nd half? If we go 4-2-3-1 it probably opens up the possibility of a combination Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner, Keita and Lallana playing in the 2 and therefore allowing Fabinho a rest. It also opens the opportunity of more games for AOC, Shaqiri and Origi in the 3 behind a central striker.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of 4-2-3-1 after either the international break or after the City game (i.e. we stick with our optimal formation to get through the tough looking next 5 league games).
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online fucking appalled

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Buck Dancer
« Reply #7013 on: October 5, 2019, 08:21:34 AM »
Or he could read Babu's Twitter threads, which is where I get my opinions from

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. He's creepy and he's kooky, mysterious and spooky, he's altogether ooky, he's Adam's fa-mi-ly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #7014 on: October 20, 2019, 07:17:42 PM »
Recent weeks Hendo has been decent but had an off day today and with players like OX, Lallana, Shaq, Keita, Miller in the wings he can't afford to have off days.

Offline jillc

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Seasonal Mods
  • Believer
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #7015 on: October 20, 2019, 07:18:54 PM »
Recent weeks Hendo has been decent but had an off day today and with players like OX, Lallana, Shaq, Keita, Miller in the wings he can't afford to have off days.

Every player has off days Fordy including the ones you have mentioned above. If its perfection we need robots not humans.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Legoland

• Plazzie Brick Lid :)
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #7016 on: October 20, 2019, 07:21:36 PM »

isn't that exactly why he or any of them can? so that they can get changed for an alternative. its just a matter of how often the off day is and if they're often yeah he certainly can't afford it.
You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. He's creepy and he's kooky, mysterious and spooky, he's altogether ooky, he's Adam's fa-mi-ly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #7017 on: October 20, 2019, 07:26:38 PM »
isn't that exactly why he or any of them can? so that they can get changed for an alternative. its just a matter of how often the off day is and if they're often yeah he certainly can't afford it.

Think it's clear he isn't number 1 on the team sheet and now all is fit barring Shaq will need to cement his place like he did at the back end of last season.

I felt Miller should of started today as Hendo played 2 internationals.

Offline jillc

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Seasonal Mods
  • Believer
« Reply #7018 on: October 20, 2019, 07:28:22 PM »
Think it's clear he isn't number 1 on the team sheet and now all is fit barring Shaq will need to cement his place like he did at the back end of last season.

I felt Miller should of started today as Hendo played 2 internationals.

I was surprised Hendo started today considering his two internationals I at least expected either he or Gini would have been rested from the off. It was a game Milner would have been fine in.

Offline Cormack Snr

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #7019 on: October 20, 2019, 07:30:04 PM »

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Believer
« Reply #7020 on: October 20, 2019, 07:31:51 PM »
Needs to have a few games out of the side imo. He must be nakered.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #7021 on: October 20, 2019, 07:54:10 PM »
I was surprised Hendo started today considering his two internationals I at least expected either he or Gini would have been rested from the off. It was a game Milner would have been fine in.

Yeah I was surprised he started. We have managed Hendo's game time well of late but with Fan , Gini and Hendo all being on international duty I would of thought Milner would of come in for Hendo.

Hendo was poor today but he will be back.

Offline jillc

• Seasonal Mods
  • Believer
« Reply #7022 on: October 20, 2019, 08:03:00 PM »
Yeah I was surprised he started. We have managed Hendo's game time well of late but with Fan , Gini and Hendo all being on international duty I would of thought Milner would of come in for Hendo.

Hendo was poor today but he will be back.

To be fair, none of our players were good today they all had distinctive off days . Nothing came off for Bobby either, but when Salah is playing it does create more space for the other two. Neither of them looked comfortable. But at least we got a point and we know we have other options in the other games now from the sub's performances.

Online fucking appalled

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Buck Dancer
« Reply #7023 on: October 20, 2019, 08:04:17 PM »
So you agree he needs to be shot.

Nah just wanted to take some miserable arl fuckwit back to their late twenties :)

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• Believer
« Reply #7024 on: October 20, 2019, 08:08:30 PM »
Henderson has been well delow standards for a while (IMHO), and I'm a fan of his, but out of fo players need taken out, captain or not.
Vote Labour

Offline Sharado

• SAVAGE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #7025 on: October 20, 2019, 08:12:03 PM »
He didn't play well but fuck about like he's no right winger.
No heavy-metal football. Uninspiring team selections. Playing like a team closer to relegation worries

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #7026 on: October 20, 2019, 08:13:53 PM »
Throwing him out wide right when Origi came off was a massive mistake. His overlapping with Trent was just confusing and left that entire wing exposed on the counter. Trent had no idea what to do when he was there. It was like 2 players playing in he same position on the attack

Massive off day for the whole midfield and wingbacks though so the fault lies there.

Still like that he's the 1st one to the ref. Also called him out after the match

Offline Lastrador

• Believer
« Reply #7027 on: October 20, 2019, 08:17:30 PM »
I think his form has plummeted in the last month or so, after a very good start of the season, but I also feel he's really struggling with the role. He's finding himself too wide too many times and he can't influence games offensively in that position, he doesn't have the explosiveness or close control and his delivery is too inconsistent at the moment. His good form last season came he was playing more centrally with the occasional run to the wings, which they were more effective as they weren’t so predictable.

I also feel his partnership with Trent is largely redundant. They both like to occupy the same positions and have similar strengths and weakness. Neither can threaten oppositions fullbacks with their speed or dribbling and both rely on their crossing and long balls, with Trent providing a vastly superior delivery from the wings. Which leaves Hendo making rather pointless diagonal runs through the oppositions lines for most of the match.

I’m a big Henderson’s fan but I feel his strengths will always be that of a pure number 8. He’s tactically smart and adaptable enough to make a decent job at multiple positions, but I feel on the long run that’s the only position that really suits him, which I don’t think he will get to play much often.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 08:33:45 PM by Lastrador »

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #7028 on: October 20, 2019, 08:31:48 PM »
To be fair, none of our players were good today they all had distinctive off days . Nothing came off for Bobby either, but when Salah is playing it does create more space for the other two. Neither of them looked comfortable. But at least we got a point and we know we have other options in the other games now from the sub's performances.

Just think now others offer more. Lallana and Keita better on the ball, Ox & Shaq better going forward.

Offline jillc

• Seasonal Mods
  • Believer
« Reply #7029 on: October 20, 2019, 08:33:28 PM »
Just think now others offer more. Lallana and Keita better on the ball, Ox & Shaq better going forward.

The problem though is Keita is being managed at the moment because of his injury issues, as is Chamberlain, Shaq is injured. I would agree it would be good to see Adam used more, but maybe they can't do that.

Online Ravishing Rick Rude

• Cut the music!
  • Believer
« Reply #7030 on: October 20, 2019, 08:52:28 PM »
I think he already played this season on the right, and was quite good, but can't remember against who.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks
I'm a knob

Offline a treeless whopper

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas
  • Believer
« Reply #7031 on: October 20, 2019, 09:00:55 PM »
I think he has really struggled recently. He has been around a long time but his place, with Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Milner and Lallana around, must be under threat.

He seems to be struggling to really provide good creativity and passing higher up the field. He asked to be moved up the field but he needs to give us more.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
« Reply #7032 on: October 20, 2019, 09:03:06 PM »
Expect with England flogging him he’s knackered

He’ll sit out Arsenal and the next England team through suspension

He’s a class act and only just dropped off his level

He’ll be back at it soon

Online fucking appalled

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Buck Dancer
« Reply #7033 on: October 20, 2019, 09:03:32 PM »
I think he has really struggled recently. He has been around a long time but his place, with Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Milner and Lallana around, must be under threat.

He seems to be struggling to really provide good creativity and passing higher up the field. He asked to be moved up the field but he needs to give us more.

He’s in pretty shite form, it happens.

Naby is fit, Ox is fit, Milly is fit. The manager isn’t going to keep playing someone just because they’re captain, so we’ll see.

Offline jillc

• Seasonal Mods
  • Believer
« Reply #7034 on: October 20, 2019, 09:07:07 PM »
I don't think he is in very bad form. It's true he has not been outstanding but people forget it usually takes a couple of months before the team is truly performing well. I don't think anyone in midfield has been outstanding. Fab has been the best I would say, but Gini has games where he disappears as well but doesn't seem to get the heckling that Henderson gets. Once the team really find their rhythm I think most of the players will improve.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #7035 on: October 20, 2019, 09:08:37 PM »
I'm a well documented fan of his but he's been awful on the ball this season... worse than people are willing to admit. (statistically its fucking woeful for the amount of possession we have and the options he has in front of him)

He remains a fantastic high presser but playing him with Wijnaldam and Fabinho isn't going to cut it for us long term and I don't think it was ever Klopps intention to play a midfield 3 line up like this - we've cut our cloth according to whose been fit.
Think we'll see a passer / ball progressor in the 3 from now on
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 09:12:57 PM by JackWard33 »

Online fucking appalled

• RAWK Supporter
  • Believer
  • Buck Dancer
« Reply #7036 on: October 20, 2019, 09:09:32 PM »
I don't think he is in very bad form. It's true he has not been outstanding but people forget it usually takes a couple of months before the team is truly performing well. I don't think anyone in midfield has been outstanding. Fab has been the best I would say, but Gini has games where he disappears as well but doesn't seem to get the heckling that Henderson gets. Once the team really find their rhythm I think most of the players will improve.

It’s always the same, you know that Jill :)

Gini was good today.

Hendo, Fab, Trent and Bobby in particular I’d say were all pretty rank. You won’t see the other threads getting a tonne of posts. The CL win bought a few months relief but yeaaah.......here we are.

Offline Fromola

• Such a Miserable F*cker!
  • Believer
« Reply #7037 on: October 20, 2019, 09:14:11 PM »
We usually rotate the midfield more under Klopp but I think Hendo and Fabinho have looked a bit overcooked recently. Especially when you factor in the ridiculous Brazil travel times and Hendo playing all the England games.

Milner could have been used a bit more so far and Keita, Lallana and Chamberlain all feeling their way back in a little bit.

We don't really want to be starting midfielders three games in a week.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Believer
« Reply #7038 on: October 20, 2019, 09:14:58 PM »

I honestly am in awe.  If there was a RAWK Hall of Fame (or have I missed it?) then you would for sure be inducted into it at this point.  The dedication to not only read every post in every thread but then reply in a way that puts the players and club in the best light possible no matter the circumstance is truly something to be hold.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Believer
« Reply #7039 on: October 20, 2019, 09:16:17 PM »
One of our 8 worst players today.
Happens.