Author Topic: Mario Balotelli  (Read 92867 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Mario Balotelli
« Reply #640 on: August 2, 2016, 11:41:51 am »
The funny thing is, if he was banging in 15 goals and 15 assists a season, no one would care a moot about how many ciggys he has had. Sadly he isnt and its easy to castigate him for being pictured with a ciggy, whilst on a vacation. And rightly so.

Couldnt care less what he's doing off the pitch anymore to be honest, him having a smoke isnt about to affect his reputation anymore than the last ten years.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #641 on: August 2, 2016, 11:53:47 am »
Couldnt care less what he's doing off the pitch anymore to be honest, him having a smoke isnt about to affect his reputation anymore than the last ten years.

No wonder Milan wanted to "sell" him to us, rather than a loan. I really cant bring myself to convince that this transfer was worth a punt.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #642 on: August 2, 2016, 12:18:49 pm »
No wonder Milan wanted to "sell" him to us, rather than a loan. I really cant bring myself to convince that this transfer was worth a punt.

:D

Of course it wasnt worth a punt. Whoever was involved should have been immediately sacked, it was ridiculous. Even if he was the sort of striker we played with at the time, it was a massive risk. But to take the risk on a player with his attitude and behaviour AND who was completely opposite to the sort of striker we played with? Its honestly one of the most mental transfers I've ever seen. Up there with Koldrup. Way past the likes of Carroll and Benteke.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: August 2, 2016, 12:23:20 pm »
:D

Of course it wasnt worth a punt. Whoever was involved should have been immediately sacked, it was ridiculous. Even if he was the sort of striker we played with at the time, it was a massive risk. But to take the risk on a player with his attitude and behaviour AND who was completely opposite to the sort of striker we played with? Its honestly one of the most mental transfers I've ever seen. Up there with Koldrup. Way past the likes of Carroll and Benteke.
Was just going to post the same thing. BR gets a lot of stick for it as he had final say but whoever recommended Mario or Eto'o as an alternative to Sanchez needed binning off as well.

Offline il_principino

• Main Stander
  • You will never walk alone!
« Reply #644 on: August 2, 2016, 01:28:28 pm »
Was just going to post the same thing. BR gets a lot of stick for it as he had final say but whoever recommended Mario or Eto'o as an alternative to Sanchez needed binning off as well.

You mean the TC...  :no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPaSW5lMpOo
« Last Edit: August 2, 2016, 01:45:54 pm by il_principino »
---Aesthetic is everything------

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
« Reply #645 on: August 3, 2016, 04:23:28 pm »
Actually spent some time watching a bit of his career after reading this thread the other day, I've always heard about his talent, but then suddenly realised that I'd never actually seen any footage of him when he was breaking through. Obviously it's an extremely unscientific way of going about things, but I had a look at every goal he's ever scored in a montage.

What struck me was the manner in which he scores his goals changed quite so dramatically over the 5 year (2009-2014) period the video concentrated on. At the beginning, when he was coming into the Inter team, he was often coming from a wide position, playing on the shoulder of the last defender and getting into goal-scoring positions using his strength and his pace. He showed a real desire to get on the end of chances, and you could see that a number of the goals he scored came from quick counter-attacks where his speed has a real asset. As the time went on though, these goals began to dry up. He began to be scoring from either set-piece situations or from picking up some pinball in the box - but the most bizarre thing is that every so often he would pull out a goal which showed he hadn't lost any of his physical ability, just some of his desire.

Now, there have been a few reports about how he has been behaving at Liverpool and at Milan over the past three seasons, but nothing like the history of controversy that went on before. Personally, I thought he was somewhat hung out to dry by Rodgers; I think he was an easy scapegoat, and don't think his overall play or his effort here was particularly lacking. The entire team was a misfiring, dysfunctional outfit and that was by far the worst situation for him to come into, especially with the intense scrutiny he was always going to be under from the UK media. His confidence plummeted and I don't think it's going to come back any time soon, and nor do I think that Klopp is likely to give him a chance. What we can achieve this season is just too important to be derailed by the potential antics of Balotelli; we've already seen how little patience the boss will have with his decision to send Sakho home from the tour. It is a crying shame though, because I do feel that he has been trying hard for the last few years and things have not been falling for him, which is not exactly a huge motivator for him to do keep trying - especially when the majority of his success coincided with him acting out.

We could (touch wood) have a massive injury crisis at some point this season and be left with Balotelli as one of our only options, but it does seem extremely unlikely. A pity that he couldn't have stuck away a few of the chances in his first season here, because I'm sure he'd be remembered a lot more fondly as a result.

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #646 on: August 3, 2016, 04:59:37 pm »
I don't know what it is about him but I like him, he has (had,) the talent, he's just lost to much of the desire to even try and utilise properly and as such, has let his confidence drop.

I have no doubt that the talent is still there somewhere, it's just pointless trying to motivate him if he doesn't have that desire in himself.

It's like he broke through at Inter and thought he'd made it so just gave up.

Offline vinothmct

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #647 on: August 4, 2016, 08:08:15 am »
I like balotelli i really do . I think he has changed a lot in these years but the past still haunts him .

Whoever has balotelli will have a diamond in their hands . There is not a lot of strikers left in the market . I really think lot of midtable clubs can have a punt on him . For 8-10M he is worth it. Teams like Crystal palace can really go for him .

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #648 on: August 4, 2016, 08:29:03 am »
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #649 on: August 4, 2016, 08:32:56 am »
If you build a team around him, he will contribute in terms of goals and assists if not workrate or tenacity. Thats the problem, he is not good enough to have a team configured around his game, especially at the level we aspire to be. A Sunderland or Stoke would do well to take a punt on him and make him the main man. He is good running the channels as well as dropping deep and playing nice passes for runners. Its his inability to get into the box at the right moments in the game that holds him back imo. He doesnt have that sense of timing that top players like Henry had.  But he can still contribute 10 goals + 10 assists in a season, provided the team is configured to play to his strengths.

Hopefully he sorts out his career somewhere, if not with us. There have been many late bloomers who reinvented their game to come back at an older age. 
Phuk yoo

Offline Isaacsways

• Anny Roader
« Reply #650 on: August 4, 2016, 02:40:37 pm »
I like balotelli i really do . I think he has changed a lot in these years but the past still haunts him .

Whoever has balotelli will have a diamond in their hands . There is not a lot of strikers left in the market . I really think lot of midtable clubs can have a punt on him . For 8-10M he is worth it. Teams like Crystal palace can really go for him .

a diamond? No chance.. nobody in the Premier League will touch him with a bargepole and rightly so...  he'll end up in Turkey or China.. hopefully.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #651 on: August 4, 2016, 05:40:45 pm »
Also what does he bring to the table in terms of uniqueness??

He's not fast.
He doesn't have guile.
He's not your typical big target man like Carroll or Lambert.
He isn't a decent support striker.
He doesn't have an impressive strike rate.

I think his niche lies in lower or weaker leagues where he can be a flat track bully of sorts.
He needs to be made into the main striker of whatever club he ends up at to really motivate him I think.

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #652 on: August 4, 2016, 06:18:51 pm »
I think he'd wreak havoc in Holland. Jose Altidore scored 40 goals a season there. Balotelli's biggest enemy has always been himself.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #653 on: August 4, 2016, 09:03:23 pm »
You want Balotelli to starting playing again? Take away all his commercial deals, then you will see him start to place a great effort to prove himself, get a bit hungry as he was at Inter initially
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline HumanRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #654 on: August 4, 2016, 09:07:03 pm »
It's a good point about him and Holland. IF, and sadly nowadays when it comes to advisors it's a big IF, he has good advisors they will advise him to drop down a level so don't go to Serie A or PL clubs. Try it in the Dutch, Turkish or French league. OR even the Scottish PL - I think a club like Celtic would love to get a big name like him and it will be a league where he can build up his confidence again, hopefully bang in a load of goals.

Simple, drop down a level in league standard for a year or two - pick up some accolades and trophies (whilst continuing to pick up good wages). Then when your stock and confidence is high waltz into a bigger league and prove your doubters wrong Balo.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: August 4, 2016, 09:10:14 pm »
We could have signed Remy for £4m less.  Who makes these decisions?

A poster on here tried to arue with me a few years ago that we would get our money back on Mario.
Yeah ok mate.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: August 4, 2016, 09:14:11 pm »
Has he played yet in pre-season? Haven't been paying attention to our games

Offline notkop

• Kemlynite
« Reply #657 on: August 4, 2016, 09:15:56 pm »

Palace have already got their own expensive potentially gifted but ultimately flawed-by-shocking-attitude striker. One Emanuel Adebayor

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #658 on: August 4, 2016, 09:17:41 pm »

No he's on vacation somewhere. Wasn't included in the squad.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #659 on: August 4, 2016, 09:18:01 pm »

A poster on here tried to arue with me a few years ago that we would get our money back on Mario.
Yeah ok mate.
In this particular case it was the club doctor, no?

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #660 on: August 4, 2016, 09:22:24 pm »
In this particular case it was the club doctor, no?

Ive no idea. Was a bad decision whoever made it
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #661 on: August 4, 2016, 09:23:30 pm »

Haven't been paying attention? How odd.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #662 on: August 4, 2016, 09:44:40 pm »
While it's nice to have a celebrity play for Liverpool I would have preferred it if he was a footballer!

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #663 on: August 4, 2016, 10:02:43 pm »
Haven't been paying attention? How odd.
I don't really watch pre seasons either. Almost the equivalent of training matches, they don't usually reflect a teams form in the actual season and, well, they are dull as fuck to watch. I read reports on who has done well and how we played.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #664 on: August 4, 2016, 10:36:17 pm »
One of the strangest signings this club has made, ever.    Kind of knew he was rotten but i still got a bit of a buzz when he signed thinking he may pull something off, despite my head telling me this was a joke signing.

Seriously what the fuck was BR (sorry the TC) thinking in making this signing,  what was BR saying at £16m it was a bargain?  well it was a total fucking waste of £16m and the lads wages , seriously Liverpool is crawling with lads who would pull that shirt on for free and do more in 90 minutes than this man has done in 2 years.  Fucking embarrassing and for me TC or no TC this signing kind of sealed Rodgers fate. From the "we are not intesreted in him" to the  "what a player he is and could be a real bargain"   made BR look totally inept and simply his tongue/mouth just blew with the winds direction.  Kind of knew it was over for BR when Lambert and Balo replaced Suarez.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #665 on: August 4, 2016, 11:28:22 pm »
Palace have already got their own expensive potentially gifted but ultimately flawed-by-shocking-attitude striker. One Emanuel Adebayor
They released him!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Pie Eyed

• More like Eagle Eyed! Looking to sub Lfsea.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #666 on: August 4, 2016, 11:44:27 pm »
Ive no idea. Was a bad decision whoever made it

On Remy - No it wasn't.

The lad failed his medical, so we pulled out of the deal.

Whether another club came in and took the chance is irrelevant - We did our due diligence and he failed one of the tests.

Maybe others are not so stringent.
Jürgen Klopp (26 June 2020)
"We were good 4 years ago.  We were really good 3 years ago.  We were unbelievably good last year.  And this year it is absolutely exceptional.  Second to none that I know."

King Kenny to Jürgen (25 June 2020):
"I think your Da' must've been on our side during the war, because you seem like a scouser to me." :D

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #667 on: August 4, 2016, 11:51:29 pm »
It's a good point about him and Holland. IF, and sadly nowadays when it comes to advisors it's a big IF, he has good advisors they will advise him to drop down a level so don't go to Serie A or PL clubs. Try it in the Dutch, Turkish or French league. OR even the Scottish PL - I think a club like Celtic would love to get a big name like him and it will be a league where he can build up his confidence again, hopefully bang in a load of goals.

I think he's possibly the last player the Celtic manager would want to sign at this point. Or as he might put it: "I can categorically tell you Mario Balotelli will not be at Celtic."
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #668 on: August 4, 2016, 11:54:00 pm »
On Remy - No it wasn't.

Whether another club came in and took the chance is irrelevant - We did our due diligence and he failed one of the tests.

Yes, it would be idiotic to sign a player if his medical showed up serious issues. Would make it impossible to get insurance and leave the club open to legal action if things went wrong.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #669 on: August 5, 2016, 12:02:12 am »

Remy has failed his medical with us, and hasn't really impressed at Chelsea.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #670 on: August 5, 2016, 03:19:12 am »
Ya, but he would have been 4 million less  ;D
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #671 on: August 5, 2016, 03:50:25 am »
He needs to find himself a mentor and life coach to unlock his potential.

I think I know just the person:

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/0lkBX7VwzjM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/0lkBX7VwzjM</a>
We are Liverpool!

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: August 5, 2016, 05:04:28 am »
I think he's possibly the last player the Celtic manager would want to sign at this point. Or as he might put it: "I can categorically tell you Mario Balotelli will not be at Celtic."

:D   Wait! Why am I laughing at that....  :(

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #673 on: August 5, 2016, 05:23:24 am »
...well it was a total fucking waste of £16m and the lads wages , seriously Liverpool is crawling with lads who would pull that shirt on for free and do more in 90 minutes than this man has done in 2 years...
You know what...even though I know what you've written is just opinion...but it's an opinion that is really quite profound and kind of gets to the heart of the "Balotelli issue".

Maybe we never really warmed to him because we got the impression he never really cared or had passion for us after being given chance after chance to prove his worth.

I actually agree that even a local lad promoted from the Academy into our team would've given more than Balo.
Probably..

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #674 on: August 5, 2016, 08:48:27 am »
You know what...even though I know what you've written is just opinion...but it's an opinion that is really quite profound and kind of gets to the heart of the "Balotelli issue".

Maybe we never really warmed to him because we got the impression he never really cared or had passion for us after being given chance after chance to prove his worth.

I actually agree that even a local lad promoted from the Academy into our team would've given more than Balo.
Probably..
Don't swallow the media narrative, a lot of us were going to games singing Mario's name because he did give a shit and put the effort in. We saw him track back and try his best. Rodgers didn't get the best out of him, injuries didn't help him, Klopp isn't giving him a chance and I'm fine with that. Will wish him all the best in the future.

"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline redjed1

• Kopite
« Reply #675 on: August 5, 2016, 09:32:17 am »
If James Milner doesn't hack it at left back, we may need Mario there against Arsenal.

Offline RedPat

• Legacy Fan
  • Kenny Godglish
« Reply #676 on: August 5, 2016, 09:44:45 am »
He played well against Spurs on his debut  :lickin
Kenny Godglish

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #677 on: August 5, 2016, 10:08:51 am »
Don't swallow the media narrative, a lot of us were going to games singing Mario's name because he did give a shit and put the effort in. We saw him track back and try his best. Rodgers didn't get the best out of him, injuries didn't help him, Klopp isn't giving him a chance and I'm fine with that. Will wish him all the best in the future.

Nail on head there. In his first few months at least, and it's a cliché but it can be accurate with some players, I felt he was trying too hard if anything. He's never going to be a player that works his bollocks off, although I think he actually did in a few games, but he was dropping even deeper than we've seen at other points in his career, and taking even more shots than we've seen at other points in his career, because he was desperate to be involved and desperate to score goals. I never bought into the media narrative that he wasn't trying from the get go; it may well have happened in the second half of the season when it was clear he had no future under Rodgers.

You could say it for plenty of failed attacking players, but a few really bad misses doomed him to failure. The Everton Jagielka game was the beginning of his crisis of confidence in my opinion; he played pretty well, but had 10 shots and missed an absolute sitter IIRC. He got applauded by the Kop for his performance, but that miss cost us two points in the end, just as it did against Hull a month later, at a time when we were in desperate need of points.

It's all if's and but's, and ultimately I don't think he'd ever have quite worked out here because of who he is. But if he had scored winners in those two games as he should have done, he'd have had league winners to back up his cup winners against Ludogorets and Swansea, all in his first two months at the club. In a post-Suarez world full of pressure, he'd have earned more patience with Rodgers, his team-mates, the fans, and the media, giving him a better platform to succeed.

Alas, it wasn't to be. And as I say, those two goals & extra four points or not, it's still far more likely that it wouldn't have worked out for him. Hopefully he finds a new club and succeeds there; I'd love to see him at Ajax.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2016, 10:10:59 am by bcurtis92 »

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #678 on: August 5, 2016, 10:19:02 am »
On Remy - No it wasn't.

Yes plus we nearly had a player on our books with a heart condition die just prior to that.

Remy has nothing to do with Balotelli. Rodgers said candidly we weren't signing Balotelli, then ended up signing him, trying to convince people that £16m was a bargain, and that he could teach him and discipline him.

Full on disaster all the way around. Should pay off his contract, see if he really actually wants to be a footballer.

Offline pjshaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: August 5, 2016, 11:25:35 am »
Mario's Dirk Kuyt-esq work rate is his biggest strength. Put him anywhere and he will run all day long for you.