Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers  (Read 218131 times)

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Brendan Rodgers- New Celtic manager
« Reply #320 on: May 25, 2016, 01:22:13 pm »
My mum was diagnosed with cancer and died soon after, just before the start of that 13/14 season.
The same happened to me. The start of that season was so good, it was what kept me going.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: May 25, 2016, 01:30:54 pm »
Glad he's gone to a club of such stature. I wish him all the best, he gave me the best season of football I have ever seen. He was a classy bloke too, who only ever spoke well of the club and the city.

My mum was diagnosed with cancer and died soon after, just before the start of that 13/14 season. This was a year after my sister passed. I feel a very personal connection to that team and to Brendan. In a black tar abyss of shit he gave me something to believe in and look forward to. I will always feel a very deep gratitude to him for that.

I think someone hit the nail on the head above, he's remembered by many as the manager who lost us the league, rather than the one who finally got us so close to winning it. It's a shame that.

I remember when he first came and he did a series of in-depth interviews with Redmen TV. I think he was only meant to be there 20 minutes or so, but he gave everyone the time of day, answered each question fully, knowledgeably and with passion. He ended up just chatting about football for a couple of hours, from what I remember. I hope that enthusiasm hasn't been watered down, he is a truly exciting young manager.

All the best, Brendan. Good luck.

Nice post Wilmo. Any non well wishers need to take a look at themselves.

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: May 25, 2016, 02:17:19 pm »
The same happened to me. The start of that season was so good, it was what kept me going.

Best wishes to you mate. Hope you're getting on okay.
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: May 25, 2016, 03:15:14 pm »
Best wishes to you mate. Hope you're getting on okay.
Yeah I'm doing ok, was a pretty bad year as we ended up losing both her parents a few months later. Hope you're dealing with it ok too, it's a horrible thing to deal with, for me it's got a bit easier now.

I don't know about you but I was devastated after the Chelsea game, felt like it was destined to happen with everything that had gone on. Wasn't to be unfortunately.

Wish Brendan all the best anyway. He'd lost it by last September but I think he wasn't ready for us when he joined. You see Wenger for instance come back time and time again after a slump or when people start calling for his head, Rodgers wasn't ready to deal with that pressure and ran out of ideas I think.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline ghirl67

• Legacy Fan
  • "Football without the fans is nothing" -Jock Stein
« Reply #324 on: May 25, 2016, 07:36:46 pm »
Chris Davies new assistant manager.

http://www.celticfc.net/news/10598
"I got a bit of a slagging for it! Do people not know I'm a Celtic fan?" Kieran Tierney on asking his parents for a Celtic top for his Christmas (2017)

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: May 28, 2016, 05:55:39 am »
I wonder how Celtics fans took what he said:

“People might say this is a step down but they don’t know this club,” Rodgers said. “I have come into a huge club here. Don’t get me wrong, I have had a number of guys who have said: ‘Don’t go. Why would you go?’ But this is Celtic and it’s different."

Offline ghirl67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: May 28, 2016, 06:20:34 am »
I wonder how Celtics fans took what he said:

“People might say this is a step down but they don’t know this club,” Rodgers said. “I have come into a huge club here. Don’t get me wrong, I have had a number of guys who have said: ‘Don’t go. Why would you go?’ But this is Celtic and it’s different."

Not a surprise people would advise him not to come to be honest.  We might not like it but we are well aware of how the game up here is viewed and consequently us.  However, he is here despite the advice and has gone about endearing himself to the support brilliantly.  He was nearly in tears at his unveiling and the fact he really is one of us and not just trotting out the usual guff players do when signing helps a lot as well.

Glenn Driscoll joins Celtic as new head of performance.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 11:21:44 am by ghirl67 »
"I got a bit of a slagging for it! Do people not know I'm a Celtic fan?" Kieran Tierney on asking his parents for a Celtic top for his Christmas (2017)

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: May 28, 2016, 06:23:41 am »
Not a surprise people would advise him not to come to be honest.  We might not like it but we are well aware of how the game up here is viewed and consequently us.  However, he is here despite the advice and has gone about endearing himself to the support brilliantly.  He was nearly in tears at his unveiling and the fact he really is one of us and not just trotting out the usual guff players do when signing helps a lot as well.

Glenn O'Driscall joins Celtic as new head of performance.

I agree with you but he should avoid repeatedly saying things like "people might say this is a step down", "people telling me "don't go, why would you go?" etc.

Offline ghirl67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: May 28, 2016, 06:37:17 am »
I agree with you but he should avoid repeatedly saying things like "people might say this is a step down", "people telling me "don't go, why would you go?" etc.

It was good to hear him speaking from his own POV. Too often Deila has sounded like he was saying what he was told to.  I don't think the board would have appreciated Brendan mentioning that idiotic banner at the top of the Lisbon Lions stand either and tackling the elephant in the room of why it is there. He was applauded by the support for it. These are not things that he needs to or I think will repeat. He was letting us know he is aware of these issues and he wants to do something about it. That is no bad thing.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: May 28, 2016, 08:27:30 am »
It was good to hear him speaking from his own POV. Too often Deila has sounded like he was saying what he was told to.  I don't think the board would have appreciated Brendan mentioning that idiotic banner at the top of the Lisbon Lions stand either and tackling the elephant in the room of why it is there. He was applauded by the support for it.

What's that all about?

Offline Anfield Ed

• Middle name "Dick". Wants it hard, wants it fast.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Warrior #224
« Reply #330 on: May 28, 2016, 08:58:24 am »
He will be there for one season and when Koeman leaves Southampton or Bilic leaves West Ham and he has a trophy or 2 under his belt at Cetlic then he should be a shoe-in for one of those jobs.

Offline ghirl67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: May 28, 2016, 09:00:16 am »
What's that all about?

Stupid cringey banner covering a section of the Lisbon Lions stand which has not been used of late. There are a combination of reasons for this  from the fans' perspective (including the board's own incompetence and negligence) and not just the one people like to focus on the most.  Anyway, Brendan spoke about the fact that banner needs effing off (he was politer about it) and the stadium filled.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #332 on: May 28, 2016, 09:08:30 am »
It's a really exciting appointment for him, it's a great appointment for Celtic, and it's good for the Scottish League, it's the first time in a while that a high profile, respected and competent coach has managed in the league for years. I've been up here for twenty odd years and the coming season actually holds some interest for the first time in a long long time - there seems to be a wider competitive edge to the league that has been lacking for decades - I think Hearts are doing something really interesting as a Club, on and off the pitch. I just wish that Hibs had been promoted too.

Offline ghirl67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: May 28, 2016, 09:15:42 am »
It's a really exciting appointment for him, it's a great appointment for Celtic, and it's good for the Scottish League, it's the first time in a while that a high profile, respected and competent coach has managed in the league for years. I've been up here for twenty odd years and the coming season actually holds some interest for the first time in a long long time - there seems to be a wider competitive edge to the league that has been lacking for decades - I think Hearts are doing something really interesting as a Club, on and off the pitch. I just wish that Hibs had been promoted too.

Hopefully Hibs cup win instills some much needed steel in their mentality...and if someone could teach Jason Cummings how to finish a chance off they would have a very good player there. He is too wasteful at present when he should be one of their most reliable. 

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #334 on: May 29, 2016, 10:15:01 am »
Good luck to Rodgers. He could have been good at Liverpool... in a few years... but he didn't have the experience...

Hope he does really well there :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: June 7, 2016, 07:41:24 pm »
I think it's a complete waste of his time cos he's highly unlikely to prove anything to himself or anyone else up there. If it's a passion/lifelong goal, then I hope he enjoys it.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #336 on: June 7, 2016, 07:47:10 pm »
Good luck Brendan la. See you in Europe hopefully.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #337 on: June 7, 2016, 09:46:56 pm »
Wonder if he'd held on a bit, whether he'd have been a candidate for the Southampton job.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2016, 09:55:16 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: June 7, 2016, 10:18:45 pm »
Going off his comments about Southampton a few years back I don't think he'd go down well there

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #339 on: June 7, 2016, 10:41:46 pm »
True, but fans are a fickle bunch and if you win a few games they'll soon get on your side.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Jimmys Casey

• Kemlynite
« Reply #340 on: June 9, 2016, 09:44:03 am »
Were there rumours about him signing Gomez?

Online bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #341 on: June 9, 2016, 09:52:38 am »

Got a feeling there was interest in a loan but he opted for Wisdom on a permanent transfer instead.

Hoping Gomez is around the first time for us next season anyway. He's welcome to take a few of our youth on loan though.

Offline Kop 81

• Spineless.
  • Kopite
  • We've got KLOPP!
« Reply #342 on: June 9, 2016, 10:00:21 am »
Good luck at Celtic Brendan lad.  You gave me the time of my life that second season in charge.  What a ride it was.

Still think we would have won the league that season with better defenders.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: June 9, 2016, 10:01:34 am »

He wanted to take Gomez on loan and we said no
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: July 12, 2016, 04:34:39 pm »
In Gibraltar for a Champions League qualifier tonight then.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: July 12, 2016, 05:57:55 pm »
Playing a team from Gibraltar called Lincoln Red Imps who have won their league 14 times in a row and had a +121 goal difference last season. Gotta love European qualifiers.  ;D
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: July 12, 2016, 08:03:46 pm »
Losing lol.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: July 12, 2016, 08:04:24 pm »
Celtic 1-0 down. They've been awful.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: July 12, 2016, 08:05:07 pm »
They nearly scored again.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: July 12, 2016, 08:05:28 pm »
It makes me really bitter that Efe Ambrose is a professional footballer and I'm not. One of the worst I've ever seen at any level.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #350 on: July 12, 2016, 08:06:32 pm »
Fucking hell Brendan :lmao
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: July 12, 2016, 08:06:45 pm »
What odds are rangers for the spl?

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: July 12, 2016, 08:08:41 pm »
It makes me really bitter that Efe Ambrose is a professional footballer and I'm not. One of the worst I've ever seen at any level.
Scott brown is as bad.

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: July 12, 2016, 08:33:06 pm »
Yikes.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: July 12, 2016, 08:33:40 pm »
My word...

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #355 on: July 12, 2016, 08:33:47 pm »
Come on The Red Imps  :lmao

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: July 12, 2016, 08:33:58 pm »
Ouch, losing to a bunch of imps.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #357 on: July 12, 2016, 08:38:42 pm »
Imagine how different his career could have been.
Believe

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: July 12, 2016, 08:39:00 pm »
And to think we had the nerve to be pissed off at how shite we were in Europe under him

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: July 12, 2016, 08:39:10 pm »
I just read on twitter that the Imps were 40/1 to win!