Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers on Goals on Sunday  (Read 14571 times)

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
Re: Brendan Rodgers on Goals on Sunday
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2016, 02:02:31 am »
And yet it is a glaring display of his biggest flaw as a manager.
I'm far more pissed off about the Palace fiasco. We had three points in the bag.

Everyone involved in that ought to be embarrassed. Trying to chase down an impossible goal difference. Bewildering.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2016, 02:03:57 am »
Cool, will be nice to see him.
Usual crap being spouted in here from both sides so I'm going to quote TM who says it perfectly for me.

No ill feeling towards Rodgers at all, yes he might of lost his way but I'll never forget that season for as long as I live, and no that ain't all down to Suarez.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2016, 02:07:18 am »
I'm far more pissed off about the Palace fiasco. We had three points in the bag.

Everyone involved in that ought to be embarrassed. Trying to chase down an impossible goal difference. Bewildering.
I still think we could have got the goal difference covered. That Newcastle side were garbage and had nothing to play for.

Offline ryatnalkar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2016, 02:58:05 am »
It's a football forum.

What do you want us to do, post photos?

You are right. I dont want us to post photos. You are also right that my expectation from the average posters here is to appreciate a manager who gave us the best season in the last 5 years and nearly won us the league from 7th position the season earlier is kind of foolish. Of course he caused us grief and some issues and lost his way. But the club decided to go with a young unproven manager, the odds were it would end up like that. I loved that season and like Rodgers a lot. Would I have him over Klopp? No! But that doesnt change the fact that he gave us a very good season. Also, a lot of posters write stuff like, oh Suarez exploded the right time, Sterling came on to the scene right time, Rodgers is lucky. I dont buy that. Anyway, I appreciate what he tried to do here.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2016, 03:01:51 am »
That's a poor argument. Bottom line is the Chelsea game was a manifestation of his naivete as a manager, which had been covered over by our attacking play in other games. You can use a "shoulda-coulda-woulda" argument for any number of managers in our recent history.

We go in with the result we need at half time if Gerrard doesn't slip. He could hardly legislate for that.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2016, 03:05:18 am »
I still think we could have got the goal difference covered. That Newcastle side were garbage and had nothing to play for.

Wasn't there a penalty shout at 3-0 that we didn't get? If my auntie had bollocks etc but at 4-0 I don't see them flying back into it.

Look, we fell short, bitch and moan about 14/15 all you want but I certainly won't be holding anything of 13/14 against him, not Chelsea, not Palace not anything.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2016, 10:36:59 am »
Dickheads on RAWK... Never would have thought so.... Man, you guys are like so brave and voicing your real opinions behind a keyboard. Must feel very powerful.

:lmao

The irony
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2016, 11:05:45 am »
He's coming across as very complimentary and full of praise for the club so far, fair play to him
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2016, 11:07:57 am »
He's coming across as very complimentary and full of praise for the club so far, fair play to him

Surprised anyone would expect anything else.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2016, 11:21:17 am »
That's a poor argument. Bottom line is the Chelsea game was a manifestation of his naivete as a manager, which had been covered over by our attacking play in other games. You can use a "shoulda-coulda-woulda" argument for any number of managers in our recent history.

For Kenny in the FA cup in his second stint.

For Rafa with Inzaghi's 2 marginal offside goals in 2007.

For Rafa and the completely misreported & historically revised "rant" in 08/09.

I mean, Kenny could have won 3 leagues in a row if it wasn't for Michael Thomas in 89!
total bollocks. Like the way Rafa's 'rant' can be compared in any way to our captain falling over and putting us a goal down against the team best equipped anywhere to hold on to a lead.

Brendan Rodgers and his style of play was the reason we got so close to winning the league, closer than anyone has got us since we last won it under Kenny. If you think the football was naive and you'd have preferred we played more safe football that season then I hope you would have been content with a 5th/6th place finish, because that's all we'd have achieved. 

I don't think any other manager in the world, at that time, could have done the job Brendan Rodgers did. It was a remarkable, phenomenal run of exciting attacking football that we had been starved of for so long. I will never forget that season and I will always have huge respect for the man. 

I'll also never forget the shit that was aimed at him from people on here and on social media that, for me,  gave the realisation that while we might once have had the best supporters in the world we are now bang average. Course, next time we win a trophy we'll be back to the best in the world again

Offline Number23

• Kopite
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2016, 11:24:07 am »
total bollocks. Like the way Rafa's 'rant' can be compared in any way to our captain falling over and putting us a goal down against the team best equipped anywhere to hold on to a lead.

Brendan Rodgers and his style of play was the reason we got so close to winning the league, closer than anyone has got us since we last won it under Kenny. If you think the football was naive and you'd have preferred we played more safe football that season then I hope you would have been content with a 5th/6th place finish, because that's all we'd have achieved. 

I don't think any other manager in the world, at that time, could have done the job Brendan Rodgers did. It was a remarkable, phenomenal run of exciting attacking football that we had been starved of for so long. I will never forget that season and I will always have huge respect for the man. 

I'll also never forget the shit that was aimed at him from people on here and on social media that, for me,  gave the realisation that while we might once have had the best supporters in the world we are now bang average. Course, next time we win a trophy we'll be back to the best in the world again
Gosh. Did you read what I wrote? When did I compare the two events? I was attacking the premise of the argument not the events.

Don't let that get in the way of your righteous indignation.

Carry on.
Death by football [Rodgers] said. Well and truly achieved. Now please leave.

Offline Garry_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2016, 11:49:28 am »
Tonnes of time and respect for Brendan Rodgers. A man who gave it his all and took us to the brink of glory. Hope he knows there absolutely no hard feelings. Would like to see him back at Anfield, like Rafa at Arsenal in the week.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2016, 11:52:11 am »
Dickheads on RAWK... Never would have thought so.... Man, you guys are like so brave and voicing your real opinions behind a keyboard. Must feel very powerful.

What exactly are you getting at here? :lmao

Your posts never surprise me.

On BR, he's towing the same line about all the issues as he did when he was here. Didn't expect anything else either, though.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2016, 11:54:09 am »
I still think he's a class act. Enjoyed seeing him on Goals On Sunday.

Offline ryatnalkar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2016, 12:03:00 pm »
What exactly are you getting at here? :lmao

Your posts never surprise me.

On BR, he's towing the same line about all the issues as he did when he was here. Didn't expect anything else either, though.

My posts don't surprise you? I barely post here, so I am glad you read them. I guess.

My comment was re the overall tone of the thread sliding down very quickly and about some snide digs. This man is no Hodgson and gave us some great memories. Which I definitely appreciate. That's all.

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2016, 12:28:17 pm »
Brendan now saying he didn't have the final say on transfers..

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2016, 12:28:38 pm »
Talking utter bollocks here, as if he had no say at all.

The two most expensive signings on that list - Lallana and Lovren were solely his.

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2016, 12:29:58 pm »
Balotelli looks like it was a commitee signing then.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2016, 12:30:41 pm »
The dele ali transfer is so frustrating.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2016, 12:30:45 pm »
He said it was a group decision and that not all the lists were drawn up by him. We obvioulsy knew that 2nd bit.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2016, 12:31:29 pm »
Balotelli looks like it was a commitee signing then.

It was clearly a committee suggestion. Every good source said we told Rodgers its him or nothing.

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2016, 12:33:07 pm »
He said it was a group decision and that not all the lists were drawn up by him. We obvioulsy knew that 2nd bit.

I don't think Rodgers had much respect within the committee. It just shows he was quite weak in character to not go against them.

You can imagine them giving Klopp a lot of the final say because of his charm and reputation. Klopp won't have it any other way. He has the strength of character to say it how it is.

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2016, 12:34:23 pm »
He might be mincing his words a bit to make himself better, he might not. The truth is there is a big issue if the manager is not able to suggest players. It seems like it's a 'Here's a list we have made from doing statistical analysis. Vote for one of them or you get none of them."

I hope it's changed for Klopp but I doubt it.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2016, 12:34:38 pm »
He referred to 'they' when referring to buying Balotelli...

I can't imagine Klopp taking a players he didn't want....

I can't imagine anyone thinking it would be worth trying to make him either..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Marcel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2016, 12:34:55 pm »
I don't think Rodgers had much respect within the committee. It just shows he was quite weak in character to not go against them.

You can imagine them giving Klopp a lot of the final say because of his charm and reputation. Klopp won't have it any other way. He has the strength of character to say it how it is.

That seems an unfair judgement to make.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2016, 12:34:58 pm »
I don't think Rodgers had much respect within the committee. It just show he was quite weak to not go against them.

Thats not in doubt. But i found it amazing the amount of people who wanted to pin Balotelli on Rodgers.

The issue we have is not Klopp but those no marks who were there in Rodgers' time are still here. They should have been sacked as well and we should have a new, competent team supporting Rodgers.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2016, 12:35:12 pm »
I believe Rodgers. He has no reason to lie. Balotelli was forced upon him as we had no one else. Awful planning we had a whole month after sanchez went to arsenal.

But lovren lallana and benteke were all his choices. That much was obvious. And i wouldnt bat an eye lid if all of them left tomorrow.

The committee and brendan is to blame. Its not jist his fault.

I worry for klopp now i have to say.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2016, 12:36:34 pm »
He might be mincing his words a bit to make himself better, he might not. The truth is there is a big issue if the manager is not able to suggest players. It seems like it's a 'Here's a list we have made from doing statistical analysis. Vote for one of them or you get none of them."

Thats the issue isnt it. The job of these transfer muppets is to find out the sort of player the manager wants and scout players based on that. Instead they are suggesting players on their own ilk.

Hopefully the Caulker signing indicates a change.

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2016, 12:38:01 pm »
Rodgers trying to build up his reputation. He's thinking of his next job.

I'm not having it that there weren't a few of those signings that weren't solely of his own doing. Mainly the Premier League based players. Our two most expensive failures are on him - Benteke and Lallana.

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2016, 12:38:13 pm »
Both the TC and Rodgers are equally culpable. Or are we supposed to believe the Southampton splurge was the TC's idea.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2016, 12:39:47 pm »
Both the TC and Rodgers are equally culpable. Or are we supposed to believe the Southampton splurge was the TC's idea.

Nope i think its clear that both were to blame. But the other half of that shit player purchasing couple are still here. The way they are suggesting and signing players off their own back is worrying.

They need to be sacked by the club.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2016, 12:40:01 pm »
Talking utter bollocks here, as if he had no say at all.

The two most expensive signings on that list - Lallana and Lovren were solely his.

He never said that though did he.

The whole window was just small time. Get players used to the league and young foreign playerrs. Rather than going for top experienced foreign players who had experience in europe.

We paid more for lallana and lovren than a top foreign player would cost. We supplemented with young potential. Young potential with average premier league players is completely flawed philosophy.

We lose suraez and the top of that list they showed in terms of cost was lallana and lovren that speaks volumes to me.

Offline JimmysHammer

• Kopite
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2016, 12:40:35 pm »

Agree with this mate, and that's certainly how Rodgers made the Mario situation sound.. it may be a case that we had all our apples in the Sanchez basket for whatever reason, and were not prepared for his choosing Arsenal over us. (playing Devils Advocate)

in regards to Klopp, we had a centre back signed as emergency cover that i'm guessing was at Klopps suggestion (type of player if not the individual)

With absolutely no evidence at all, I would imagine Rodgers influence within the Transfer committee was not as strong by the end of his time as it was at the start.

Anyway he is a top man (if not a top top manager) and made us dream, so he'll always have my support for that, he'll have a good career no doubt.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups - George Carlin

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2016, 12:40:43 pm »
I believe Rodgers. He has no reason to lie.

He's currently out of a job with a reputation to rebuild, of course he's got a reason to lie!

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2016, 12:41:16 pm »
That seems an unfair judgement to make.

He practically admitted it himself when asked if he was able to say no.

Hesistated with his answer and said no.

For me, that's weak. Klopp will be quite the opposite you imagine. If he didn't like Grujic, he would have let it be known, i'm sure.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2016, 12:42:20 pm »
He's currently out of a job with a reputation to rebuild, of course he's got a reason to lie!

A lot of the stuff he was saying was common knowledge though. The thing he did which attempted to make himself look good is he didnt acknowledge the signings of Lallana, Lovren etc.

Offline CallumLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2016, 12:44:52 pm »

That's clearly bullshit considering it was widely reported by respected journos that Benteke was his own doing.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2016, 12:44:58 pm »
How else is anyone going to say something in an online forum?
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2016, 12:46:54 pm »
He fucked up with signings, the committee fucked up with signings. It was flawed, completely. No-one knows how it stands now. None of this is news.

He didn't get sacked because the committee made a few bad suggestions. He got sacked because he, and only he, decided to completely move in the opposite direction to the style of football that should have won us 19. That's on him.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2016, 12:47:31 pm »
I believe him about if he wasn't on the list you couldnt sign him. Otherwise we would of had ashley williams and vorm.