Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers is no longer Liverpool manager  (Read 151966 times)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
Re: Brendan Rodgers is no longer Liverpool manager
« Reply #1440 on: October 5, 2015, 03:35:21 pm »
I brought up sterling for this reason and now we can add the stadium expansion as a factor as well, as long as we have talented players who should be competing and are players that other would like play along side then 3 years should at least see upward trend in performance and results. That will allow us to build and continue to develop.

What the Board have showed is they free up funds and back you back but in return we need results and that should be evident every season, if we won the FA  cup that would have been the saving grace for a lot of us and given the players the belief.

Everybody knows time is short in football these days managers especially. Teams like Tottenham without such high expectations can afford to give a little more time to managers like pocchetino but we got different ambitions. 

Looking at threads in rawk there has been much said on our youth development and that is where time and stability should and can be afforded. We are getting together our finances and commercial revenue seems improving but we will run out of time if we don't the get football side sorted.
I don't know what this board currently wants. We sell Sterling and get 50 million, we sell Suarez we get 75-80 million, we sell Philly at the end of this season and get say 60 million - who needs CL football if you're making that kind of money each season from players, to add onto additional revenue of a bigger ground. We are not becoming spurs, we are spurs. Spurs and the mancs of the 1980's.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #1441 on: October 5, 2015, 03:38:57 pm »
I'll disagree with Ian Wright's assessment of 2013/14. If we had focused on defence, teams wouldn't have been shitting themselves and losing the matches in the first 20 minutes. We'd not have been in the position we were in without that. We'd ground out results up until Suarez' return. It was that switch to utter insanity which had us winning 10 on the bounce and pushing for the title. Manager gets credit for that. It was insanity. Utterly brilliant bonkers stuff, no-one had an answer to it til Mourinho rocked up and offered a pragmatic draw we refused to take. Everything since has been the comedown. But that was an amazing few months, thoroughly enjoyable, and full credit to a young manager for going with the flow of it. Fuck off with the Brentisms really. We needed that season. Without the emotion, there's not a lot there but beancounting and a dull inevitability to oil money buying silverware.

Fair point.

I meant to say improving our defence (not focusing on defence) when we were scoring for fun at one end but letting in sloppy goals at the other.

It was an amazing season with the Man City game being the high point for me.

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1442 on: October 5, 2015, 03:39:24 pm »
I'm almost sick of repeating this one, but not just yet. It's a separate issue from the Rodgers issue. They snubbed the King on the steps of Wembley. They could sign Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez, and I'd still think they were c*nts.

Macca, kind of agree, this was written the day Kenny was sacked, our King.......

Last few days have happened really fucking fast, and I think it's about time a fee things were clarified.

Firstly, there's nobody left at the club who isn't a total c*nt. That much is clear. Honest to God, outside of Lucas, Dirk, and some.of the youngsters, the players are c*nts too.

I know there's a lot of high falutin' talk about allowing Fenway to get things right, and that whoever comes in deserves the same treatment as any other manager, and that the process needs to happen.

Bollocks.

I'm not a child, I'm a grown man, and if I want to hate something then I'll hate it. Any process that has a step one involving sacking Kenny Dalglish can fuck off from that point on. Not all men are equal, and not all managers deserve the same chance. Some of them are c*nts, and I feel obligated to point that out.

Two years ago, suited fucking snakes sacked my manager. He was warring to save the club. For us. And they sacked him. Sacked him and replaced him with Hodgson, a yes man for the fucking snakes. A man who had no feel for the club he came into, and no facility to learn about it. He didn't think the protests were helping. Didn't think they were appropriate. And people say it's hypocritical to have called for his head after six months and then complain that Kenny wasn't given longer?

Bollocks.

All men aren't equal, and I can barely believe some simple shit like that needs explaining. Hodgson. Dalglish. They should be treated equally? Fucking behave yourselves. I wasn't calling for his head after six months. I was calling for his head before he arrived. Because he was a c*nt. And because he was brought in by snakes. And because I didn't fucking like him and couldn't give a toss what the league table said. He wasn't my manager. They fucking sacked my manager.

But a torch was put to the snakes and then came another lot. And they couldn't bring my manager back, but they did bring my King back. Fair do's. Let's call it even. The club club had almost flatlined, but the heart was back. And I couldn't give a toss what the league table said. He was my King.

Thing is, you can't sack a King. Kings can't retire. They're put to the sword and everything they stand for dies with them. And when regicide is the first step of a process, then you can't ask me to be on board. Because whatever comes next won't feel the same. Won't feel right. Sure, I'll scream when we score, cheer when we win, celebrate when we bring back silver.
But it won't change the story. The story will always be, we had snakes and they sacked my manager. And the snakes were chased off by saviours who turned out to be kingslayers. And that's the price for everything that is to come.

Unless someone brings my manager back. Then I'll call it even. But if they can't even do that for me?

Bollocks.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but it fell in one. And I'll not have fucking visigoths tell me how I should feel about my empire.

I'd rather lose proud than win gutless. Look at these plastic c*nts with their captain and their money and their empty fucking streets. And tell me that's not us but for the grace of God.

I had my King back. If the price paid gets us back into the Big Cup in a season's time, then it's still too steep. It was Kenny. And all men are not equal, despite what those who are trodden on tell themselves.
Fuck it. Brandy has been had, but I know I'm not wrong. Nobody can tell another fan how to be a fan, but they can tell them about being wrong. And this has been wrong.

Not a single person left who isn't a c*nt. What have we fucking done?

The next managerial decision is HUGE and it's imperative that they get this right. We aren't dining at the big boys table, but maybe, just maybe we could be with the right appointment.

Looking forward to seeing who it is
« Last Edit: October 5, 2015, 03:41:57 pm by nuts100 »

Offline tboz

• Kopite
« Reply #1443 on: October 5, 2015, 03:43:33 pm »
I don't know what this board currently wants. We sell Sterling and get 50 million, we sell Suarez we get 75-80 million, we sell Philly at the end of this season and get say 60 million - who needs CL football if you're making that kind of money each season from players, to add onto additional revenue of a bigger ground. We are not becoming spurs, we are spurs. Spurs and the mancs of the 1980's.

Really hope not, but I like the fact they have made the funds available yet still look to expand the stadium. I always thought our shirts would forver have Reebok and Carlsberg emblazoned on the front, but they have continued to find sponsors willing put money into club without much pitch success imagine what previous would have done with that money!

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1444 on: October 5, 2015, 03:57:05 pm »
I must admit, it feels a bit shit hearing that he's devastated.  He obviously loved the job, the club, even under all that pressure.   I hope he has a break, then comes back into football to continue his career.  He'll receive a great reception at Anfield if he brings his next team.  Wish him all the best, and thanks for that exciting season.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1445 on: October 5, 2015, 03:58:10 pm »
The most important thing will be that the politics within the club come to an end. Carra pointed it out after the game.. it has become the biggest problem of the club and the main reason for our ongoing problems. Rodgers played along and to me, his biggest mistake together with some basic and fundamental tactical flaws.

Standard Corrupted to the bone...

One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1446 on: October 5, 2015, 04:00:35 pm »
I must admit, it feels a bit shit hearing that he's devastated.

After burning pretty much every bridge in order to stay in the job this doesn't come as a surprise..
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1447 on: October 5, 2015, 04:05:51 pm »

It's not going into the back pocket of a toilet haunting sex pest who's happy enough as long as his coke and whores are paid for each month though. :D It's all being plowed back into the club. Fair enough in questioning how it's then spent on players and whatever, but we have become a cup team in the past couple of decades and we're having to build back up from having the snot kicked out of us under the twats after Rafa built on Ged and Roy's legacies. Really do want whoever is next appointed to be here a decade and more. To build the team back up, to be able to weather a shitty season because we can rationalise it away as a crap one from a manager who's already demonstrated that he's got what it takes. I hate what football has become. I hate the fact that I have to scrape together enough to beg the price of a ticket a few times a season. But Rodgers being sacked now, it was time. It really was. I was getting the same feeling as when Roy was just waiting for someone to have the bollocks to tell him to go, and Ged the same. And if I had a tad more compassion towards Souness, I'd have felt the same for him but I was too lost in my own anger that he was still in charge. If you're in your fourth season in charge and players are being shite and making soft mistakes, fair enough, but if they're not even doing the stuff as well as when you first came in, and you're blaming everyone else for that fact, then it's time for a fresh pair of eyes and new approach. We're not what we once were, but backing failure in the hope that it will come good in the end is insanity. We do need to find the right person to build for us, we do need the backroom to be pulling in the same direction. That was clearly fucked under Brendan. Let's hope the new man in won't be having the same issues.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #1448 on: October 5, 2015, 04:09:44 pm »
I must admit, it feels a bit shit hearing that he's devastated.  He obviously loved the job, the club, even under all that pressure.   I hope he has a break, then comes back into football to continue his career.  He'll receive a great reception at Anfield if he brings his next team.  Wish him all the best, and thanks for that exciting season.

He needs to learn from this. He has a lot of quality, indeed as a coach I don't think anybody can doubt him. It's the small but significant step from a coach to a manager that he's maybe not been ready for yet. At least not at a big club.

Firstly it's his inability to coach a defence that is going to inhibit him going forward. Into his 4th season and nothing had changed. Same silly mistakes, poor organisation, poor individual mistakes. Balance is another. He can get his teams to defend, but by doing do he'll sit very deep and not offer anything in attack. On the other hand he can go all out and get his teams to score goals but then that leaves a lot of gaps at the back.

He's perhaps too stubborn as well. Often it seemed he was desperate to prove that his buys were the better players or more suitable. The treatment of Sakho for example, the insistence of playing a much inferior player in Lovren in his place despite a catalogue of mistakes. He's not alone in doing stuff like that, many managers do, but it's not a good trait to have.

But you know, he's got a lot going for him. He's very young, he's extremely confident in his own abilities and I'd imagine he'd like the idea of going abroad. He should take a few months off, reflect, get a bit of rest (he'll be mentally tired from it all) and then have another go. I do wish him all the best.

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1449 on: October 5, 2015, 04:11:53 pm »
Important not to get carried away with this idea. Yes having a reputation might help in close deals but in the main it's our wage structure that stops us attracting the very best players

...and for some, the prospect of living in the north/family against the idea as we saw with Sanchez.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1450 on: October 5, 2015, 04:17:02 pm »
Sad reading the way it was done the owners did not have the decency to tell him face to face could have done so very easily using Skype or alike no balls comes to mind !
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1451 on: October 5, 2015, 04:18:29 pm »
Sad reading the way it was done the owners did not have the decency to tell him face to face could have done so very easily using Skype or alike no balls comes to mind !

How was it done?

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1452 on: October 5, 2015, 04:20:04 pm »
How was it done?
The echo reports a phone call was made to Brendan when team got back to Melwood.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2015, 04:37:09 pm by gatcliffe »

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #1453 on: October 5, 2015, 04:20:38 pm »
The echo reports a phone was made to Brendan when team got back to Melwood.

I read that Ayre went to his house?

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1454 on: October 5, 2015, 04:21:49 pm »
If that was the model, there was no need to sack Dalglish (and incur the wrath of the fans).
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #1455 on: October 5, 2015, 04:23:04 pm »
They made Kenny fly to Boston to tell him.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1456 on: October 5, 2015, 04:23:04 pm »
To hand him the phone, apparently.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1457 on: October 5, 2015, 04:23:58 pm »
Out of the last 10 years, what clubs who have won the European cup(bar one time but we sacked him) or league title and have won without either of the models of having a) a bottomless pit of money to spend to get success, or b) have a manager in place for longer than 5 years. I do believe the answer is none.

Football hasn't changed, the fanbases and the media spin have. There lies the difference.
I think Chelsea, Real Madrid and Man City have proved that you don't need stability at managerial level to be successful. Chelsea signed hazard with no manager in charge, De Gea was on his way to Madrid before Benitez was appointed. These signings are made and given the green light at a level above the manager and its only quality signings that can improve us.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1458 on: October 5, 2015, 04:24:08 pm »

Supposedly received a call first, they Ayre went to his house to see how he was.

I'm not sure what the owners were supposed to do really. If they flew into town then the media would catch on and there would be a huge amount of speculation surrounding the derby. If they flew him over to the states it would take time and he'd spend the whole flight knowing what the likely outcome was. Skype is possible but then who wants to deliver such important news over Skype?

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1459 on: October 5, 2015, 04:25:35 pm »
Ok not reported that in Echo just that he spoke to Brendan bottom line deserved better.

Offline dandred

• Kopite
« Reply #1460 on: October 5, 2015, 04:27:03 pm »
He made me dream. Good luck, I hope he manages to be successful. He loved this club.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1461 on: October 5, 2015, 04:49:33 pm »
Supposedly received a call first, they Ayre went to his house to see how he was.

I'm not sure what the owners were supposed to do really. If they flew into town then the media would catch on and there would be a huge amount of speculation surrounding the derby. If they flew him over to the states it would take time and he'd spend the whole flight knowing what the likely outcome was. Skype is possible but then who wants to deliver such important news over Skype?

As I have said, there is never a good way to sack a manager who is a decent man.  Perhaps it could have been handled more delicately but it was always going to hurt.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1462 on: October 5, 2015, 04:51:38 pm »
Kenny was treated much more disrespectfully.....although i'm fucked if id want Ian Ayre knocking at my house and disturbing the neighbourhood cats with his Harley fumes...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1463 on: October 5, 2015, 04:56:00 pm »
Important not to get carried away with this idea. Yes having a reputation might help in close deals but in the main it's our wage structure that stops us attracting the very best players
I'd say it's more down to us not being very good for quite a while now
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1464 on: October 5, 2015, 04:59:39 pm »
Really don't like this delighted he's gone line some are spinning, small time + absolutely no need at all for it, pointless bile

Just thank the man for his contribution and move on, it is indeed the right time for all
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1465 on: October 5, 2015, 05:04:00 pm »

Who knows....I read he was called and then met at Melwood by Ayre
"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Offline CIDER_RED

• Main Stander
« Reply #1466 on: October 5, 2015, 05:13:18 pm »
Brendan is going to be a killer manager one day. He had some bad breaks here. Made a few mistakes. Ultimately I think he has got his P45 so early in the season because of who is available. It wouldn't surprise me to find out FSG have pulled the trigger early to make sure they get their number one target before the situation at Chelsea gets any worse.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1467 on: October 5, 2015, 05:18:40 pm »

We're spending the money though, not banking it.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1468 on: October 5, 2015, 05:20:22 pm »
I feel sorry for Brendan and feel that he should have been given more time, however, I think that the majority of the supporters had probably had enough so it was only a matter of time. I wish him well.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #1469 on: October 5, 2015, 05:25:15 pm »
I feel sorry for Brendan and feel that he should have been given more time, however, I think that the majority of the supporters had probably had enough so it was only a matter of time. I wish him well.
I feel sorry for him too. He's a genuine guy and deserves our respect.

He probably got such a high profile job too soon as he made a lot of mistakes, wasn't able to sort out the defence and couldn't build year on year.
I just didn't see a way back for us. Brendan seem to have lost his way though, as for over a year we've lacked structure, motivation, coherency, and a whole lot more.

Offline _Redman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1470 on: October 5, 2015, 05:35:18 pm »
Always likely marriage of convenience was going to end in divorce

Tony Barrett

In hindsight, Brendan Rodgers’s relationship with Liverpool was doomed to fail because it was founded, if not on a lie, then certainly on an accommodation that suited neither party. Rodgers would have turned the manager’s job down had Fenway Sports Group (FSG) also appointed a director of football so Liverpool’s owners acquiesced. Instead, they formed a transfer committee with the Northern Irishman as a member but not as its head. A marriage of convenience had begun.
“I wanted to make sure that I would be in charge of football matters; that I would control the team, control the work,” Rodgers said at the time. In one sense, the Northern Irishman had that control. He was given, by his own admission, “final say” over the players that Liverpool recruited and spending was heavy during his reign with almost £300 million spent on signings.
The compromise, though, was that he would not always be able to sign his first choices, the likes of Ashley Williams and Ryan Bertrand being prime examples, if they were not rated by the rest of the committee and he would also be expected to take on board their guidance. What was intended to be a system that provided checks and balances ended up being a dysfunctional fudge that suited neither manager nor club.
The tension it caused between them was apparent almost immediately. A move for Daniel Sturridge shortly after his appointment collapsed because Rodgers preferred Clint Dempsey but Liverpool made a derisory offer to Fulham for the USA international and that deal also perished. John W Henry, Liverpool’s principal owner, penned an open letter to the club’s fans explaining what had gone wrong and backing Rodgers but privately he was seething at his manager for “killing” the Sturridge transfer.
For his part, Rodgers was incandescent when Liverpool dithered over the signing of Joe Allen and at one point threatened to resign if his new club failed to meet Swansea City’s £15 million valuation of the midfield player. This was in Rodgers’s first months as manager but already it was clear that the committee system he was working within was not going to run as smoothly as intended; it also seemed destined to ensure neither manager nor club got everything that they wanted.
Hope that this was just a case of teething trouble and that common ground would be found was to prove unfounded. The same problems continued with Rodgers reluctantly accepting players that were not his first choices – Mamadou Sakho, Emre Can, Alberto Moreno, Lazar Markovic and Roberto Firmino all fall into this category – in the hope that such willingness to co-operate would give him the bargaining power to sign at least some of his preferred targets.
That strategy was successful in that FSG reciprocated by signing off on huge deals to sign Adam Lallana and Christian Benteke at Rodgers’s request, even though the fees they had to pay for both players exceeded Liverpool’s valuations. Increasingly, though, the compromise began to show on the pitch as Liverpool became as disjointed as one would expect a team put together on the basis of the manager having one pick and the committee having another. Cohesion was conspicuous by its absence and a style of play became difficult to identify. Basically, it was a mess. Cock up by committee indeed.
By terminating Rodgers’s contract and retaining the services of his fellow committee members, Ian Ayre, the chief executive, Michael Edwards, the director of performance, and Dave Fallows, the head of recruitment, FSG have clearly decided that the manager is not capable of operating within their preferred system; something that Rodgers would probably agree on. More tellingly, they have also come to the conclusion that another manager will be able to get more from the players than Rodgers has, hence their assertion that replacing him as manager gives them “the best opportunity to deliver” success in the statement confirming his sacking.
The belief is that Liverpool’s squad is better than the sum of its parts, that Rodgers has been given ample opportunity to prove that he can work productively within a collegiate setting but has failed to deliver both on and off the pitch. Having given him a final chance at the end of last season when it would have been wiser to make a change rather than allow Rodgers to limp on, FSG finally ran out of patience after Liverpool’s 3-0 defeat to West Ham United on August 29 and he has been on borrowed time ever since.
The irony of all this is that had FSG listened to Rodgers when he was first appointed, they would have seen all of this coming. “One of the things you need to do is to know yourself, and I know myself. I know what makes me work well and that wouldn’t have been a model I would have succeeded in,” Rodgers said of his refusal to work under a director of football. “It’s absolute madness if you are the manager of the club and someone else tells you to have that player. It doesn’t work.”
While FSG would contend, with some legitimacy, that no players were ever forced on Rodgers, by opting for a committee they put in place a system in which he felt the need to compromise and he ended up accepting players as a result. An unravelling in Rodgers’s relationship with his employers was all but inevitable. Now FSG must ensure that his successor is not only willing to work with a committee, he is also capable of thriving within one.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1471 on: October 5, 2015, 05:50:11 pm »
Classy statement from Brendan

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1472 on: October 5, 2015, 05:50:42 pm »
http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/lma-latest/brendan-rodgers-statement/

BRENDAN RODGERS STATEMENT

“I am, of course, incredibly disappointed to be leaving Liverpool Football Club. It has been both an honour and a privilege to manage one of the game’s great clubs for the last three years.

“I have worked every day to represent the club to the best of my ability, to develop both individual players and a team that the club’s magnificent fans can be proud of. There have been some very memorable moments during my time at Liverpool and I would like to thank all of the players for their hard work and commitment. The current squad is one in transition, but they have some real talent and are showing a strong sense of togetherness. I expect to see them continue to grow and develop over the coming weeks and I wish them and my successor well for the rest of the season.

“Liverpool has a magnificent football heritage and I have nothing but respect and admiration for the history, tradition and values that make the city and the club so exceptional. As well as my players, I would like to thank everyone connected with the club; Fenway Sports Group, the Liverpool Directors, in particular Ian Ayre, my coaching staff, the staff throughout the club, the volunteers, the Academy staff and its young players and of course the amazing Liverpool fans for their unwavering support, passion and dedication which has made my time at the club so special. 

“Finally, I would like to give a special mention to John W. Henry, Tom Werner and Mike Gordon. They gave me this great opportunity and even though we will no longer be working together I am sure our relationship and friendship will continue into the future.”
« Last Edit: October 5, 2015, 05:52:55 pm by RobbieRedman »

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1473 on: October 5, 2015, 05:50:50 pm »
Take a bow Rodgers take a fucking bow........ :wellin That is hell of a statement.
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1474 on: October 5, 2015, 05:52:51 pm »
Classy statement Brendan on hearing it makes me think how lucky we were to have him.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1475 on: October 5, 2015, 05:53:22 pm »
interesting stuff...and with respect to original poster - re-posted with paragraphs for those as short sighted as me...

In hindsight, Brendan Rodgers’s relationship with Liverpool was doomed to fail because it was founded, if not on a lie, then certainly on an accommodation that suited neither party. Rodgers would have turned the manager’s job down had Fenway Sports Group (FSG) also appointed a director of football so Liverpool’s owners acquiesced. Instead, they formed a transfer committee with the Northern Irishman as a member but not as its head. A marriage of convenience had begun.

“I wanted to make sure that I would be in charge of football matters; that I would control the team, control the work,” Rodgers said at the time. In one sense, the Northern Irishman had that control. He was given, by his own admission, “final say” over the players that Liverpool recruited and spending was heavy during his reign with almost £300 million spent on signings.

The compromise, though, was that he would not always be able to sign his first choices, the likes of Ashley Williams and Ryan Bertrand being prime examples, if they were not rated by the rest of the committee and he would also be expected to take on board their guidance. What was intended to be a system that provided checks and balances ended up being a dysfunctional fudge that suited neither manager nor club.

The tension it caused between them was apparent almost immediately. A move for Daniel Sturridge shortly after his appointment collapsed because Rodgers preferred Clint Dempsey but Liverpool made a derisory offer to Fulham for the USA international and that deal also perished. John W Henry, Liverpool’s principal owner, penned an open letter to the club’s fans explaining what had gone wrong and backing Rodgers but privately he was seething at his manager for “killing” the Sturridge transfer.

For his part, Rodgers was incandescent when Liverpool dithered over the signing of Joe Allen and at one point threatened to resign if his new club failed to meet Swansea City’s £15 million valuation of the midfield player. This was in Rodgers’s first months as manager but already it was clear that the committee system he was working within was not going to run as smoothly as intended; it also seemed destined to ensure neither manager nor club got everything that they wanted.

Hope that this was just a case of teething trouble and that common ground would be found was to prove unfounded. The same problems continued with Rodgers reluctantly accepting players that were not his first choices – Mamadou Sakho, Emre Can, Alberto Moreno, Lazar Markovic and Roberto Firmino all fall into this category – in the hope that such willingness to co-operate would give him the bargaining power to sign at least some of his preferred targets.

That strategy was successful in that FSG reciprocated by signing off on huge deals to sign Adam Lallana and Christian Benteke at Rodgers’s request, even though the fees they had to pay for both players exceeded Liverpool’s valuations. Increasingly, though, the compromise began to show on the pitch as Liverpool became as disjointed as one would expect a team put together on the basis of the manager having one pick and the committee having another. Cohesion was conspicuous by its absence and a style of play became difficult to identify. Basically, it was a mess. Cock up by committee indeed.

By terminating Rodgers’s contract and retaining the services of his fellow committee members, Ian Ayre, the chief executive, Michael Edwards, the director of performance, and Dave Fallows, the head of recruitment, FSG have clearly decided that the manager is not capable of operating within their preferred system; something that Rodgers would probably agree on. More tellingly, they have also come to the conclusion that another manager will be able to get more from the players than Rodgers has, hence their assertion that replacing him as manager gives them “the best opportunity to deliver” success in the statement confirming his sacking.

The belief is that Liverpool’s squad is better than the sum of its parts, that Rodgers has been given ample opportunity to prove that he can work productively within a collegiate setting but has failed to deliver both on and off the pitch. Having given him a final chance at the end of last season when it would have been wiser to make a change rather than allow Rodgers to limp on, FSG finally ran out of patience after Liverpool’s 3-0 defeat to West Ham United on August 29 and he has been on borrowed time ever since.

The irony of all this is that had FSG listened to Rodgers when he was first appointed, they would have seen all of this coming. “One of the things you need to do is to know yourself, and I know myself. I know what makes me work well and that wouldn’t have been a model I would have succeeded in,” Rodgers said of his refusal to work under a director of football. “It’s absolute madness if you are the manager of the club and someone else tells you to have that player. It doesn’t work.”

While FSG would contend, with some legitimacy, that no players were ever forced on Rodgers, by opting for a committee they put in place a system in which he felt the need to compromise and he ended up accepting players as a result. An unravelling in Rodgers’s relationship with his employers was all but inevitable. Now FSG must ensure that his successor is not only willing to work with a committee, he is also capable of thriving within one.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1476 on: October 5, 2015, 05:53:25 pm »
Typically dignified.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1477 on: October 5, 2015, 05:53:28 pm »
That's the most dignified thing I've heard in ages....

Can't have been easy to write that.

Huge respect to him.  It would have been far easier to be bitter.

YNWA
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #1478 on: October 5, 2015, 05:53:36 pm »
Clueless owners. Selling our tradition as a brand but in doing so killing the last vestiges what made us different.  That season was wonderful. Caution to the wind football. Never seen such brave football and no Stevie the reason you were in with a shout of the title at the Chelsea game was because of the mangers style not despite it.

So we're getting rid of Rodgers in October what foresight, what planning, the charts and numbers must have been crunched and the optimum managerial change optimisation period must have come out with two hours after the Derby. If they appoint Klopp it will be by accident. Don't underestimate their ability to fuck it up. Rank amateurs.

This is where I reside too...   

Timbo makes compelling points about this loss, ones that we should pay attention to....

Nevertheless, there was something there in our play in the last 20 games or so that I saw (minus one half against Arsenal this year), which caused my faulty vision to honestly believe that there was someone out there who could do better than our current.

This is not always reason to make a change, as we all have bad days, but the depressing part of this is how easily our own supporters are converted into the machine of never ending solutions on bullshit mountain.   Ultimately, our management team is a farce.  Who goes from Hodgson, to a legend, to an up-and-coming newbie, to the next great thing?   I'll tell ya who?  We do.  And frankly, it is a mess that one person will not excavate us from.     

Its like all of those people who think, if we just got rid of the president and replaced him/her with another flavor, it all work out.  No.  No, it won't.  This is a business.  And for FSG, business has been good.  For the rest of us, its the story of wealth inequality ---- moments of ups and downs.... (mostly high expectations with wait til next year type of shit).
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #1479 on: October 5, 2015, 05:53:45 pm »
Respect.