Author Topic: Re: Steven Gerrard's Serialised Book -A Fan's Perspective-  (Read 30192 times)

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: Steven Gerrard's serialised Book
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2015, 06:09:04 pm »
Brilliant post mate.

Offline mabbympb

• Branded he was a man who ran!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red and White Kop
    • Instagram
Re: Steven Gerrard's serialised Book
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2015, 06:15:17 pm »
Can someone post this to gerrard to read please.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2015, 06:17:24 pm »
Gerrards all up for blaming rafa re rafas press conference, number of weeks after he'd assaulted someone in southport after we beat newcastle 5-1.
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2015, 06:19:26 pm »
Opinions eh?

People differ.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2015, 06:20:00 pm »
I loved Rafa, he was the most successful manager of my time supporting Liverpool and got us, the fans and the club. But the number of people willing to lay into another Liverpool legend (and possible greatest player ever) to defend him is ridiculous. The relationship between Rafa and Gerrard was in a workplace, they don't need to be best mates there or have a cordial relationship- they just needed and did bring success together. You don't need to pick sides and leap to the defence at all times, Rafa I'm sure doesn't really care as manager of Real Madrid.

But I think under all this there could be a more malign influence- that some fans support Benitez more than the club. It seems to infect everything that has followed, being against managers as they aren't Rafa, turning against players if they so much as give an opinion on him. I'd love to have Rafa back, but it is unfortunately not going to happen so we as a fanbase need to get over it.

Offline Scoff

• Kemlynite
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2015, 06:25:10 pm »
He might do, he might not. I don't think he ever really appreciated or understood Rafa. He just accepted him as long as his methods worked on the pitch and then seemed to lose it with him completely (going on the extracts) over Alonso going. A player who was always going back to Spain at some point.

It always seemed as though Stevie just wanted a manager to love him all the time rather than one to just get the best out of him as a player.

Regarding that point, its a constant reminder to me that most fans of all clubs and even players by the looks of it never take all the circumstances in to the equation.

Alonso wanted away handed in a transfer request
Alonso was heading to his home land
Alonso was going to arguably the biggest club in the world thus making a step up 
Alonso was going to be paid more money in wages
Alonso was going to pay less tax on his bigger wages something he gave an interview about.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/5578084/Xabi-Alonso-warns-that-tax-will-drive-top-players-away.html

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2015, 06:27:56 pm »
Regarding that point, its a constant reminder to me that most fans of all clubs and even players by the looks of it never take all the circumstances in to the equation.

Alonso was going to arguably the biggest club in the world thus making a step up 
Alonso was going to pay less tax on his bigger wages something he gave an interview about.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/5578084/Xabi-Alonso-warns-that-tax-will-drive-top-players-away.html

They also seem to forgot who actually brought Alonso to Liverpool.

Offline SenorGarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria...
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2015, 06:33:29 pm »
They also seem to forgot who actually brought Alonso to Liverpool.

And that Stevie was "desperate" for Gareth Barry to replace Alonso's position in the team and join us when we were after him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7428382.stm
"A football club isn't just made up of players, coaches and directors. More than anything else it's the supporters who make a club, and that perhaps is the ingredient which best distinguishes Liverpool Football Club from every other team. The supporters." - Luis Javier García Sanz

Thanks Kenny, for making us believe again. YNWA

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2015, 06:35:14 pm »

Gordon Brown was as responsible for Alonso going as Rafa was. He didn't want to have to pay higher taxes. He also wanted to go to Real Madrid when they came calling the summer they spent all that money with a big project.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: Steven Gerrard's Serialised Book -A Fan's Perspective-
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2015, 06:36:24 pm »
I loved Rafa, he was the most successful manager of my time supporting Liverpool and got us, the fans and the club. But the number of people willing to lay into another Liverpool legend (and possible greatest player ever) to defend him is ridiculous. The relationship between Rafa and Gerrard was in a workplace, they don't need to be best mates there or have a cordial relationship- they just needed and did bring success together. You don't need to pick sides and leap to the defence at all times, Rafa I'm sure doesn't really care as manager of Real Madrid.

But I think under all this there could be a more malign influence- that some fans support Benitez more than the club. It seems to infect everything that has followed, being against managers as they aren't Rafa, turning against players if they so much as give an opinion on him. I'd love to have Rafa back, but it is unfortunately not going to happen so we as a fanbase need to get over it.

Oh Please! Gerrard is having cheap shots at everyone to sell his book. The Tea Lady is next in line.

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2015, 06:55:35 pm »

Who's laying in to him? If he's going to seriliase excerpts of his book expect people to discuss them. The club have massively regressed since he's left, understandable people lament that period, given the manner of his leaving or should I say sacking.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2015, 07:02:00 pm »
Fantastic and reasoned post that mate
YNWA

Online thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2015, 07:07:03 pm »
Fantastic post mate, take a bow.

And I think it would help if Gerrard explains who the intended audience is, because I don't think it is written for most of the Liverpool fans of the last decade or so.

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
Re: Steven Gerrard's Serialised Book -A Fan's Perspective-
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2015, 07:11:22 pm »
It was rafa who first exposed those two shister owners for who they really were while the silence from our captain an vc at the time was deafening. Sg is without doubt our greatest player and is entitled to his opinion but he can also be wrong. He also played his best football during rafas time at the club which he cant seem to acknowledge.
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2015, 07:17:38 pm »

Don't forget that the summer Rafa tried to sign Barry, he was told he had to sell to buy. Alonso that summer had just finished his 2nd consecutive average season for us. It's only his last season, after the Barry bollocks, did he actually show he was a world class midfielder.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline GODS LEFT BOOT

• Legacy Fan
  • ...AND THE SWEET SILVER SONG OF THE LARK
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2015, 08:05:20 pm »
Good job Sir
What the media and now Stevie said about the 'rant' was simply untrue and an insult to the intelligence of anyone with a mind of their own.

I cant remember if I was on RAWK at the time but I thought 'Get in Rafa' and have always assumed other Reds felt the same 
If my assistant had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Patr Cheh. he beeped me to signal the foul. The noise from the crowd  stopped me hearing it, I have been involved at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Old Trafford, Arsenal, but I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. IT WAS INCREDIBLE

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2015, 08:39:14 pm »
The 'real' world

;D

Never heard of it. ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2015, 09:35:59 pm »
What a post. There is so much more stuff referenced than just the glaring contradictions in Gerrard's account of that period of our history. It's like E2K gets inside our minds and manages to articulate everything we have ever thought about anything.

I said in the players thread that its the best article I've ever read. It's probably the best article that anybody has ever read.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline Red Cez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stop Fucking Moaning!!!!
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2015, 09:38:43 pm »
Nailed it. Fantastic post.
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Oscar Wilde

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2015, 10:06:28 pm »

But I think under all this there could be a more malign influence- that some fans support Benitez more than the club.

You give no evidence for that suggestion, except possibly implying that supporting Rafa over Gerrard in a spat somehow amounts to club treason.

Here's a thought. It is possible to take an isolated incident, in this case Gerrard mouthing off, mostly inaccurately, about old stuff to sell a book and then say, well in this case Gerrard is acting the twat. That doesn't mean I think Gerrard is a cunt who can't play football, or that Rafa is entitled to a go with my missus. But for you, it's "supporting Rafa over the club". Drama much?

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2015, 10:07:37 pm »
An excellent OP.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2015, 10:15:58 pm »
Fantastic OP, smashed the nail on the head.
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2015, 10:16:29 pm »
It was rafa who first exposed those two shister owners for who they really were while the silence from our captain an vc at the time was deafening. Sg is without doubt our greatest player and is entitled to his opinion but he can also be wrong. He also played his best football during rafas time at the club which he cant seem to acknowledge.
Spot on as well.
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2015, 10:38:19 pm »
Just because you have huge respect for someone doesn't mean that you are disloyal when you point out that they're talking nonsense.

Well done OP for calling it. 

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2015, 11:20:33 pm »
But I think under all this there could be a more malign influence- that some fans support Benitez more than the club. It seems to infect everything that has followed, being against managers as they aren't Rafa,
I don't think you could be more wrong mate, I'm not one of the fans you allude to. Someone could write a long article about Rafa's areas of failure and I'd probably sit and nod, but reading this OP I was in full agreement with E2K. He questioning rightfully where such spite would come from and making such poignant points about SG's oversight in judging Rafa compared to and in context with other managers actions.

The OP could have spent another hour articulating the poison showered on Rafa and what he tolerated on our behalf, something SG clearly didn't appreciate. When Rafa spoke, he spoke for us, who is SG speaking for in his book and what will it achieve?

Indeed, so soon after departing and with wounds of bitterness unhealed between us and that fucking tramp Ferguson, others may even question where is SG's fucking dignity.

Online thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2015, 11:41:06 pm »
Indeed, so soon after departing and with wounds of bitterness unhealed between us and that fucking tramp Ferguson, others may even question where is SG's fucking dignity.

Not to mention the whole Jose for Liverpool narrative, what the fuck is that about? Sure he might pal around with some of the players and he would have a 'connection' with Gerrard but come on...

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2015, 11:50:08 pm »
Just because you have huge respect for someone doesn't mean that you are disloyal when you point out that they're talking nonsense.

Well done OP for calling it.

Yep.

Offline Eddie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Spirit Of Shankly Member 10410
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2015, 12:22:20 am »

THIS!

Never post on here these days, but I think the OP is one of the best things I've ever read and defines what RAWK is and should be about:

For me, it opens a bigger can of worms in respect of having 'living legends' and big reputations at the club and the power they wield. It's my opinion both Gerrard and Carragher undermined Rafa in those final days - Even talk of SG bigging up Hodgson to Purslow - That connection to Ayre and Purslow, and the constant leaks coming out of the dressing room in that period were classless. Conveniently airbrushed by the majority of our fanbase these days. With Carra being offered a 12 month extension on his contract shortly after - Which Benitez (by all accounts) wasn't offering.

I also seem to recall during all the bollix with H&G, the Spanish lads going out on a 'media limb' to endorse Rafa (Torres, Reina etc) yet those living English legends keeping stum - and of course Danny Murphy honing his punditry career, sniping at Rafa's methods from the sides. One wonders why Danny?

Since I never post on here these days - and don't really give a fuck what anyone thinks anymore - Especially after last season and this.
I'll go out on a limb and say something probably massively unpopular. In that I wouldn't let people with such obvious agendas like Gerrard anywhere near the club. And for one, I'm also glad he wasn't offered a coaching role by Rodgers either. LFC shouldn't be a rest home or pre-school for anyone - Not even you Stevie!

Club legends in that respect can be massively detrimental - I look at Mourinho's current struggle managing John Terry's decline because of that 'legendary status,' and Rodgers' trying to reinvent an ageing SG for two or more seasons. I sense a fear of reputations that Rafa would never have had.

Benitez was indeed ruthless, and wasn't perfect either. That said, I loved him for it, because it was this attitude which made us one of the greatest and most feared football clubs in Europe again. For me, Gerrard's book and the sensationalised utterances from it, just confirms he's still simply a footballer with a footballer's mentality. It's all about him first and foremost - his feelings, his whinges. Not that of the club or it's greater good. The polar opposite of someone like Kenny or Rafa, both of whom bleed LFC, with a genuine love of their adopted city and its people, sacrificing their own health and well-being fighting 'our' corner against all sorts of detractors and maligners!

Stevie, for all my love of him as a player, just doesn't say much in that respect - either on or off the field - So unlike most on here, I take his opinions on people and football (Rafa especially) with a pinch of salt.

Dion Fanning was proved right in 2010, when he predicted that the 'Benitez era' may turn out to be halcyon years in times to come. The club and the fanbase hasn't been the same since. All those mentioned above, and a noisey proportion of our supporters were responsible for us sacking the greatest manager we've had since Bob. Now we're truly counting the cost!

And with that I'm off into the ether for another five years,  content in the knowledge that you lot won't need your passports or drivers licence to wave a flag on the Kop anymore. Small mercies eh!

Beautiful post by the way E2K - Absolutely nailed it mate! 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 11:02:36 pm by Eddie »

Online decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2015, 03:36:35 am »
Absolutely brillant op, so not much i can add.

I remember reading Gerrards first book and being so disappointed by the tabloid-opinion, ghost-written shite already contained therein. The disappointment stems from a player you think is more intelligent than that lowering himself to the commonest redtop ideas about football and himself. From what Ive seen of this book, clearly nothing much has changed.

Its sad to say, but with every 'revelation' I read, i find myself hoping more and more that he doesnt go on to manage this club - if this is the way he really thinks about football, then hes just not cut out for it.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2015, 05:33:33 am »
I don't really know why people get so invested in this stuff. Gerrard has his own experiences and opinions, as does Benitez. Both are eulogised by the fans and for good reason. That doesn't mean they should love each other because the fans love them. It is painful to read people lowering their opinion of Gerrard because he found Benitez hard to get along with.

Offline Woody Boyd

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2015, 07:22:05 am »
I would like to read your book E2K, suspect that will be a significantly better read no matter what the topic is. Great post sir.

Online DangerScouse

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2015, 08:01:28 am »
I don't really know why people get so invested in this stuff. Gerrard has his own experiences and opinions, as does Benitez. Both are eulogised by the fans and for good reason. That doesn't mean they should love each other because the fans love them. It is painful to read people lowering their opinion of Gerrard because he found Benitez hard to get along with.

I think you've missed the point somewhat.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2015, 08:59:46 am »
I would like to read your book E2K, suspect that will be a significantly better read no matter what the topic is. Great post sir.

Yea, get to work mate, you'd write a belter!

Top top top top top top top top post, again!

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2015, 09:17:18 am »
Up there with the best pieces I've read on football. It finished far, far too quickly.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2015, 09:30:56 am »
Up there with the best pieces I've read on football. It finished far, far too quickly.
That's what she said.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2015, 11:02:54 am »

Beyond selling the club to H&G, the sacking of Rafa is the biggest mistake the club has made in the last 25 years. This sense of injustice around Rafa's treatment and subsequent sacking is the reason why you see such a strong reaction to Gerrard's comments. Steven Gerrard's has done enough for this club to be fully entitled to his opinion. To be fair, he did say positive and negative things about Rafa Benitez. It's a player who I hold in the highest regards for what he did for the club. However, I just found it a bit sad to see that the best manager we've had in the last 25 years and the best player we've had in the last 25 years didn't see eye to eye. There's also that nagging doubt that Gerrard may also have been responsible, in some part, for parting of ways with Benitez.

I certainly don't buy into the fact that there is a section of the fans that love Rafa more than the club. I think there is a section of the fans that believe the sacking Rafa has been detrimental in the long term. I personally still have a lot of resentment towards anyone who wanted Rafa sacked. I know others do too. In fact I still blame the fans who were against Rafa for the predicament we currently found ourselves in. More than 5 years after he left the club that's not a healthy attitude to have. The sacking of Rafa, tied in with the H&G ownership, is something that fractured the fanbase more than people imagined. It's something we are still struggling to overcome and why Gerrard's comments are met with a heated response rather than a shrug of the shoulders.

Great OP btw.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2015, 11:06:51 am »
Beyond selling the club to H&G, the sacking of Rafa is the biggest mistake the club has made in the last 25 years. This sense of injustice around Rafa's treatment and subsequent sacking is the reason why you see such a strong reaction to Gerrard's comments. Steven Gerrard's has done enough for this club to be fully entitled to his opinion. To be fair, he did say positive and negative things about Rafa Benitez. It's a player who I hold in the highest regards for what he did for the club. However, I just found it a bit sad to see that the best manager we've had in the last 25 years and the best player we've had in the last 25 years didn't see eye to eye. There's also that nagging doubt that Gerrard may also have been responsible, in some part, for parting of ways with Benitez.

I certainly don't buy into the fact that there is a section of the fans that love Rafa more than the club. I think there is a section of the fans that believe the sacking Rafa has been detrimental in the long term. I personally still have a lot of resentment towards anyone who wanted Rafa sacked. I know others do too. In fact I still blame the fans who were against Rafa for the predicament we currently found ourselves in. More than 5 years after he left the club that's not a healthy attitude to have. The sacking of Rafa, tied in with the H&G ownership, is something that fractured the fanbase more than people imagined. It's something we are still struggling to overcome and why Gerrard's comments are met with a heated response rather than a shrug of the shoulders.

Great OP btw.
This...

Coupled with the fact that Gerrard just doesn't get it.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2015, 11:29:51 am »
You give no evidence for that suggestion, except possibly implying that supporting Rafa over Gerrard in a spat somehow amounts to club treason.

Here's a thought. It is possible to take an isolated incident, in this case Gerrard mouthing off, mostly inaccurately, about old stuff to sell a book and then say, well in this case Gerrard is acting the twat. That doesn't mean I think Gerrard is a cunt who can't play football, or that Rafa is entitled to a go with my missus. But for you, it's "supporting Rafa over the club". Drama much?

Let me try and expand my original points in response (unfortunately I am not as eloquent or as clear in putting my opinion across as E2K's brilliant OP).

Firstly, I was not accusing you or John C of being one of these fans- so I don't understand the reason you feel the need to pick on that specific part and defend yourselves from an accusation that wasn't made. I said that some fans, not all, and certainly no one was named. I'll expand, and hopefully clarify why I feel this way in a second (and this is general points about some fans, not anyone in this thread so sorry for doing it in a response to you Corkboy).

But first I wanted to give some of my feelings on Rafa as our manager. As I said in my first post, I loved him as our manager. He was the most successful- in terms of trophies, consistency, performances and team building that has managed us in my time on this planet. The work he did for us on the pitch and off it, in fighting against the cancers of Hicks and Gillette, support of the Justice campaign, the connection and bond he had to the city and the fans means he will always have a special place in my heart, and remains my favorite Liverpool manager. In regards to his sacking, I have mixed feelings- on the one hand I feel it was a terrible decision on all fronts after one lackluster season for which there are many mitigating circumstances (lack of funds, sale of influential players, infighting at the club, a hangover from the title run in, etc), he should have had and deserved more time. But on the other hand, I was glad for him personally that he left- the split in the fanbase was poisonous (most of those idiots didn't deserve such a class person to manage the club and got what they wanted in Hodgson), he was getting unjustified criticism from all sides (the media, other managers, even people within the club- i.e. the narrative was set) and the job I believe was taking its toll on his health*.

But onto the main point of contention- that some seem more willing to support Rafa than the club (in my opinion). Some of this is borne out of the last few years, some out of a few of the weird responses I've seen to Gerrard's quotes (that are wrong and misjudge a lot of the historical aspects, but are his presumably honest held opinion) and the general malaise some seem to have with everything to do with Liverpool.

The first point I wanted to expand is that the love of Rafa seems to infect everything to do with each subsequent appointment of manager- I honestly believe some were against Rodgers from the start purely because he isn't Rafa. I understand the desperation to get back to the level we were playing at during his tenure, I want it so much too, but some fans seem unwilling to see it any different beyond we need to get Rafa back. I wonder if when Rodgers moves on, people will still be saying we should appoint Rafa even though he is in his dream job at arguably the biggest club in the world, and will then use this as a stick to beat the next manager whoever it is, even if it is a Klopp or Ancelotti. The events of six years ago where seismic, with Benitez's sacking and the club being so close to administration- but the club and the fans still seem split and divided even after this length of time- surely it is time to look to the future and not just mistily eyed to the past? (Reading that back I sound like a massive superfan, sorry but I can't explain it any better).

Regarding the Gerrard comments, I've said above I think he is wrong and completely misunderstands/misjudges/doesn't clearly remember some of the timelines and incidents he is talking about- E2K brilliantly rebuts these points. But some of the stuff I have heard and read since has been ridiculous (not in this thread, but some comments on the General Sports thread about Rafa at Madrid, on other forums and platforms, etc) where to defend Rafa people feel the need to denigrate Gerrard or Carragher, talk them down and play the man rather than the comments made. All three are Liverpool legends, but in the end they were work colleagues who didn't have to be best mates or even get along, just work together to be successful (which they were). Work relationships, especially under the pressure that the players and manager work under, will you'd imagine create some friction and in the longer term resentment between different types of people as can happen in any work environment.  It is just one person's opinion, and it is probably just one part of a wider passages about a long time working together.

I could expand on further points about preference of style of play, approach to the media, a history of viewing transfers as either signed by or for the manager that still persists with the current manager (depending on factors such as success, media briefings, etc), and many other points, but unfortunately I have to dash. At the end of the day, its all just opinions and doesn't really matter now- you can agree or disagree with it but I don't understand the need to pick up the flag and march into battle over it. I am sure being in his dream job at Real Madrid, with the brilliant squad and the money he will be earning, Rafa won't feel the need to respond now. Who knows, perhaps we will be having this discussion from the other side if Rafa releases an autobiography (although I suspect he is far too respectful to rake over old ground and raise personal clashes).

*There was an interesting, and worrying, point raised on TAW about the impact managing Liverpool has on the managers (i.e. a real person, not some constructed effigy who can be expected to withstand the waves of shit repeatedly thrown at them). It grinds them down and impacts on their health- it nearly killed Houllier, was taking an obvious impact (in my opinion) on Rafa's health, sadly didn't seem to affect Hodgson (he was that insular he didn't have a clue of the pressure and responsibility around him), it seems to have drained the life and vibrancy out of Rodgers. Is the expectations of us as a club, and our (the fans) sheer desperation to win the league, creating the impossible job? 

Edit- great post Jookie. I was trying to type what I thought when you posted, some good points about the fractured fanbase.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 11:32:47 am by cdav »

Offline nico 8

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2015, 11:41:06 am »
EK2- "You are a seriously talented RAWK writer." - Cannot disagree with that. So well articulated and the counter arguments substantiated by facts(sorry) makes it a thoroughly astonishing and enlightened read. Both are legends but with different motives.
Eddie's post - another great contribution- is how I felt at the time  and there is nothing since that would want me to reconsider my postion.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2015, 01:56:00 pm »
An astonishing polemic mate.

As a maverick scouse footballing giant Stevie frequently made the heart soar. As a fellow human being, reading snatches of his tittle tattle unworthy of bitching adolescents makes the flesh creep.

Your incredible riposte furnishing missing truth and perspective to a snide attempt at deriding a great man has ensured decency is restored.

We thank you.

:)