Author Topic: windows update advise and general computer problem  (Read 5829 times)

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
windows update advise and general computer problem
« on: September 3, 2015, 08:16:44 pm »
Hi guys

After my old PC power supply decided to give up on me I decided to use a holiday computer that I had bought a few years ago to keep up with all things LFC. Acer aspire one 722 2GB 64bit ram windows 7 home premium. I don't know anything much about computers and so I felt pleased that I had got rid of all the crap that came with the computer. As I was looking forward to finally getting my computer going. Windows update is saying that there are 197 critical updates  with 2G ram I will surely be back to the XP days of computing with a slow computer again. something I have tried to avoid. Also what programs would you recommend I put on. security wise etc. I just feel very disheartened now. Without the updates the computer would be vulnerable. Just feel a bit cheated by the computer firm that sold me the machine now.

kind regards

scouseman     

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
Re: windows update advise and general computer problem
« Reply #1 on: September 3, 2015, 10:03:14 pm »
Just install all the windows updates, then download Microsoft Essentials, Malwarebytes, adBlocker (think its called that), these are all free. You have a firewall in Windows7 Defender so you should be fine then.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #2 on: September 5, 2015, 12:40:21 pm »
I have now put all the recommended updates for windows 7. I have Avast free version and malwarebytes do I also need a firewall or is the windows firewall enough??

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 5, 2015, 12:47:55 pm »
You'll be fine as long as you stay off dodgy shit.

I think avast has a real time protection function when your browsing but you'll have to double check that, MSE does too i think. Even chrome warns you now when you click on dodgy sites.

The best firewall is to use sites you trust, your always gonna run the risk of malware even with protection if you click on a suspicious link/site

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #4 on: September 5, 2015, 08:37:58 pm »
It would probably help your laptop's performance immensely if you upgraded your RAM to 4GB or more.

Unfortunately, you'll probably have to throw away the old sticks, or sell them.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #5 on: September 5, 2015, 09:10:31 pm »
It would probably help your laptop's performance immensely if you upgraded your RAM to 4GB or more.

Unfortunately, you'll probably have to throw away the old sticks, or sell them.

you can use a usb memory stick as extra RAM... stick 1 into your laptop, go to my computer & right click the memory stick & use as READYBOOST  ;)

http://www.besthackingtricks.com/speed-up-computer-by-increasing-ram-using-usb-pendrive/
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #6 on: September 6, 2015, 11:42:34 am »
you can use a usb memory stick as extra RAM... stick 1 into your laptop, go to my computer & right click the memory stick & use as READYBOOST  ;)

http://www.besthackingtricks.com/speed-up-computer-by-increasing-ram-using-usb-pendrive/

thanks for the advise guys, RAWK is not only a place where Liverpool fans can discuss all things LFC but it is a place where you can learn things as well. I am lead to think that you can put a single block of 8GB ram into the computer as it has one space available although I have also read the max is 4GB. Never thought about the USB stick idea before. I guess the reason I don't see the option is because I have no USB stick yet. When I went to uni they only had just come out with 1GB USB stick now they are up to 64GB or even more. How times move on.

thanks again for that will look into it for sure.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #7 on: September 6, 2015, 11:48:22 am »
I never knew about the USB stick either might give it a try myself!

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 6, 2015, 12:14:58 pm »
thanks for the advise guys, RAWK is not only a place where Liverpool fans can discuss all things LFC but it is a place where you can learn things as well. I am lead to think that you can put a single block of 8GB ram into the computer as it has one space available although I have also read the max is 4GB. Never thought about the USB stick idea before. I guess the reason I don't see the option is because I have no USB stick yet. When I went to uni they only had just come out with 1GB USB stick now they are up to 64GB or even more. How times move on.

thanks again for that will look into it for sure.

If you've only got a 32 bit system the max ram that can he read is 4gb,

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #9 on: September 6, 2015, 12:54:16 pm »
If you've only got a 32 bit system the max ram that can he read is 4gb,

its says 64 bit on the system information. All the windows updates have been for 64 bit windows 7 home premium edition. 

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 6, 2015, 01:01:03 pm »
its says 64 bit on the system information. All the windows updates have been for 64 bit windows 7 home premium edition.

Oh aye I see in your op  :butt

Carry on  :wave

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #11 on: October 3, 2015, 06:28:41 pm »
Posted this in the fifa 16 thread thought I might post it in here to, see if anyone can help, because I cant work out whats wrong!

Anyone on here decent with network connections?

Bought a new router today, set it up everything is sound.  wired connections for mine and my brothers xboxs.

Both connect to xbox live. Put fifa on, i cant connect to ea servers but my brother can.

So i changed to wireless, and I connect to ea servers?!

I cant work out why i cant connect to ea servers with a wired connect but I can with a wireless one!!

Ive got done all the port forwarding, ive even put my xboxs IP into the dmz to see if that would work.

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #12 on: October 3, 2015, 10:07:25 pm »
Posted this in the fifa 16 thread thought I might post it in here to, see if anyone can help, because I cant work out whats wrong!

have you looked at this ?... hope it helps  :wave

http://ccm.net/faq/5628-using-two-xbox-360-consoles-on-the-same-internet-connection
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #13 on: October 3, 2015, 10:40:36 pm »
Ill give that a go thanks!

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
computer long beep and does not booting up
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 01:33:33 pm »
Hi everyone

I have Aopen XC cube MZ915-M it is very old. I have no clue about trying to fix it let alone open the machine up. A few days ago I got the beeping error. There is power going to the machine but when I turn it on I get this constant 5 second or so beeping sound. The machine will not boot up at all. All I get is a black screen on the monitor. It just seems to be stuck and does not go though the normal startup process. From doing some research on my laptop I have read something about resetting the Ram. I don't know what to look for and don't really feel that I know much to go messing about inside the computer. It is a XP machine just wanted to see if there was a easy fix.

Thanks in advance for your help and responses

scouseman 

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: computer long beep and does not booting up
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 01:51:27 pm »
Absolutely no expert whatsoever with PC hardware, but this sounds very similar to an old computer of mine. The fix was something to do with discharging the PSU capacitor and to do that you hold the power button down for as long as your patience will last - 30 seconds at the very least. That fixed mine - although some people say this won't work.

The other thing that springs to mind - if the computer is very old - is that the Bios backup battery might have gone, although I'm sure someone will tell me why that definitely isn't what has happened in this instance! :D

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 02:23:50 pm »
Absolutely no expert whatsoever with PC hardware, but this sounds very similar to an old computer of mine. The fix was something to do with discharging the PSU capacitor and to do that you hold the power button down for as long as your patience will last - 30 seconds at the very least. That fixed mine - although some people say this won't work.

The other thing that springs to mind - if the computer is very old - is that the Bios backup battery might have gone, although I'm sure someone will tell me why that definitely isn't what has happened in this instance! :D
Just tried that with an old laptop that hasn't worked for ages, fired up straight away! Nice one mate.  :wave
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 02:32:04 pm »

So I need to switch off the computer from the wall. Hold the power button for a bit 30secs while the computer is off  and try again?

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 02:33:57 pm »
So I need to switch off the computer from the wall. Hold the power button for a bit 30secs while the computer is off  and try again?

I can't quite remember exactly the process - it was about 5-6 years ago that I did it. Try both, neither's going to ultimately harm the machine.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 03:03:38 pm »
my guess is it's a problem with the video, try reseating the graphics card if it has one, if it's using onboard and it is the video then it's fucked

it could be a few things though so any idea what bios it uses as it would make it easier to look up what the beep code is for?

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 04:35:10 pm »
thanks so much for your responses. Here are some pictures of the inside of the computer from google. where would the ram be in the pictures. I have been reading about taking the ram out blowing the dust off and putting them back in.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=inside+a+mz915m+xc+cube+computer&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiemIvfir7LAhUKuBQKHbqNCOIQsAQIVA#imgrc=uIFsKOkV5ZnZJM%3A

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2016, 04:48:45 pm »
The ram is in the 2 long black slots on the left side, it's easy to take out just push the white retaining clips at the end of the slots down and the sticks will pop out

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2016, 05:01:09 pm »
Bonjela?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2016, 06:47:21 pm »
As people have said, try reseating the ram. Make sure you're grounded and not wearing anything woolly that can make static.

If that doesn't work, try taking one of the ram sticks out and booting, then try again with just the other one. Sometimes if one of them fails the whole PC wont boot, so by process of elimination you can work out which one died.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2016, 08:11:48 pm »
Hi everyone

I have Aopen XC cube MZ915-M it is very old. I have no clue about trying to fix it let alone open the machine up. A few days ago I got the beeping error. There is power going to the machine but when I turn it on I get this constant 5 second or so beeping sound. The machine will not boot up at all. All I get is a black screen on the monitor. It just seems to be stuck and does not go though the normal startup process. From doing some research on my laptop I have read something about resetting the Ram. I don't know what to look for and don't really feel that I know much to go messing about inside the computer. It is a XP machine just wanted to see if there was a easy fix.

Thanks in advance for your help and responses

scouseman

Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2016, 08:15:43 pm »
The ram is in the 2 long black slots on the left side, it's easy to take out just push the white retaining clips at the end of the slots down and the sticks will pop out
Fuck off, a ram.

Just hit it scouseman, that usually sorts this sort of thing. If not, hit it harder. Shaking it works as well and counts as alternative medicine.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 12:14:06 pm »
Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?

Yes mate I have. It is the only thing I know how to do. The thing is the computer has come on in the last day or so by  holding down the power button and in one instance pressing down the 51. I know it worked as I was able to watch Liverpool vs United on the old machine. I have tried giving it a tap on the top with no luck. Just wish I had backed up my files on the USB stick and internet favs before hand. I have e-mailed the company to find out what beep code they use.

I am not confident about opening the machine up at all. My worry is that it could be the hard drive. Will report back progress. Thanks so much everyone for your help and understanding. I know the computer is crap old etc. I might just chuck the damn  thing out the window. Got the laptop going for now.

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2016, 12:43:33 pm »
Yes mate I have. It is the only thing I know how to do. The thing is the computer has come on in the last day or so by  holding down the power button and in one instance pressing down the 51. I know it worked as I was able to watch Liverpool vs United on the old machine. I have tried giving it a tap on the top with no luck. Just wish I had backed up my files on the USB stick and internet favs before hand. I have e-mailed the company to find out what beep code they use.

I am not confident about opening the machine up at all. My worry is that it could be the hard drive. Will report back progress. Thanks so much everyone for your help and understanding. I know the computer is crap old etc. I might just chuck the damn  thing out the window. Got the laptop going for now.

it won't be the hard drive as you'd still see the post screen and be able to access the bios etc, definitely sounds like a video or ram issue to me, if you're gonna chuck it out of the window then you might as well open it up and remove the memory, blow off any dust on the sticks and the slots then replace it, if you've more than one stick try one at a time to rule out one of them being faulty, like as been said already just touch something metal first to discharge any static so you don't fry anything

if that doesn't work then it's more than likely a problem with video, if you connect the monitor to the main back panel where the usb, ethernet & audio connections are then it'll be using on board video and there's nothing you can do about it, if it's got a graphics card then the connector will be in one of the slots to the right of the main panel, if that's the case you can try opening it up and reseating the graphics card or just connect to the on board video to see if that works

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2016, 12:53:20 pm »
Don't be worrying about opening it up, they're actually really simple when you pop open the case, most of it just clips in and out.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2016, 02:10:06 pm »
Just tried that with an old laptop that hasn't worked for ages, fired up straight away! Nice one mate.  :wave

Just seen this - nice one mate :)

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2016, 10:54:51 pm »
The most common causes for the mobo beeping is that something isn't connected properly, and in my experience, and most other cases, it's the memory modules. You'll just need to open the case and disconnect everything connecting to the main board and then put them back in.  You can troubleshoot it by doing it one-by-one, but try the RAM first.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2016, 11:59:31 pm »
When you switch it on the computer does a quick check of all its components and the beeps are a warning about a specific part normally so if you're able to find out what the BIOS type you have then a site like this one (http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm) might be able to tell you.

Also, while you've got your case open, get a can of compressed air, after having it for about, what, 15 years?  There'll be dust everywhere, so try and blast that shit away.

Oh and I think someone said about grounding yourself when opening up and touching the components?  You can usually just touch the case while it's plugged in.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2016, 03:50:56 pm »
Hi guys thank you for all the helpful tips. The computer comes on using the power button  and boots up once a day after it has been sitting closed for a few hours. Boots up then crashes with the screen going all sades of the rainbow or it just switches off by itself for no reason. It works for a about 10 mins and in that time I am trying to save my files that I want to my pen drive. It will not turn on again its a once a day deal. Just makes that long beep sound. I know the computer has about 356Ram. just trying to save my files the best I can really in the hope it works for a bit until I get the files I want out. Will try your advice. 

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2016, 05:12:24 pm »
i'd say the ram is fine if it's booting every day, next time you start it find out what bios it has, should be on the splash screen when you first start it, if it doesn't say press either f2 or delete (should be one of these but also be f8) as soon as you start it up to get into it, also if you can try shutting it down as soon as it starts up and restart it as it could be a problem with overheating when it's been on for a while

could also be a faulty psu? i know it has an external power brick and an internal card that handles all the transformer gubbins which makes it harder to test, if you replace the brick and it's the internal part that's fucked then you've wasted money, if you just want to get you stuff off if i'd take the hard drive out and get a cheap usb enclosure then copy everything you want over to your laptop

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2016, 05:45:44 pm »
i'd say the ram is fine if it's booting every day, next time you start it find out what bios it has, should be on the splash screen when you first start it, if it doesn't say press either f2 or delete (should be one of these but also be f8) as soon as you start it up to get into it, also if you can try shutting it down as soon as it starts up and restart it as it could be a problem with overheating when it's been on for a while

could also be a faulty psu? i know it has an external power brick and an internal card that handles all the transformer gubbins which makes it harder to test, if you replace the brick and it's the internal part that's fucked then you've wasted money, if you just want to get you stuff off if i'd take the hard drive out and get a cheap usb enclosure then copy everything you want over to your laptop

I bought a new psu external one off amazon three months ago for 55 odd quid. The voltage is so high for it. I feel stupid now. I also get a check sum error had it for ages I press F1 and it loads ok again but the clock and date is always wrong. Could be the battery I guess. Has been like that for ages though. 

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2016, 06:27:01 pm »
Doesn't sound good, think it might die for good anytime soon....

Rather than hoping you can copy everything off bit by bit, get an adapter cable like the one below. Open up your computer, look at the cables connecting the hard drive and replace them with the ones from the adapter. There will be one connection for data and one for power. The other end of the cable is just a USB plug and will plug into any laptop or computer.

Just connect it and your hard disc will show up like any external hard disc or pen drive. Then use the other computer to copy everything of at once.

"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2016, 06:27:35 pm »
Sounds like the motherboard battery to me

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2016, 06:28:49 pm »
yeah the time and date will be down to the battery

the psu might be ok, it was just a guess as i've dealt with faulty power supplies in the past and it's usually with cheaper generic one's that can degrade a bit over time, with it not starting up for a few hours after crashing it's more than likely an overheating problem which you can try monitoring with something like speedfan or other programs, just try and keep your eye on it so you know the temperature when it crashes or you could try going into the bios as it should show you the cpu temp then keep an eye on it for a while and see if it goes up, the cpu fan could have failed, the fan/heatsink is full of shite or the thermal paste has dried out

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2016, 11:26:26 pm »
The fact you mention the screen goes all different kinds of colours before it crashes tells me that's an artifacting issue caused by a GPU or CPU failure. One of them is most likely overheating, and the system is shutting off to save itself. I know some of the older gen i5's have this built into them, not sure of anything beyond those. If you've a graphics card, check to see if it has a passive fan cooler and see if its working. Same for your CPU fan.

There is software you can download to check the temps if your board allows for it. Anything above 80 degrees is considered high, and once it gets around 90+, your CPU will clock off.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #39 on: April 2, 2016, 12:00:18 pm »
hi guys just a small update. This is what I have managed to write from the load screen Award BIOS v6 00PG Intel Pentium M processor 1.73 GHZ 503 Ram intel 829156 1GV/910GL express chipset family. The computer come on once a day after discharging the electricity and let it sit for a few hours. It loads ok but after 5 mins either switches off completely or the screen crashes to all shades of the rainbow. It has been not enough time for me to transfer my data across. I can hear the fan in the computer working just will not come on after it has had its one and out try with that constant 5 second beep going on.