Author Topic: Sunderland  (Read 181434 times)

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
Re: Sunderland
« Reply #1360 on: December 15, 2018, 07:33:01 pm »

after signing a toddler's kit!     ;D

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1361 on: December 19, 2018, 04:44:50 pm »
I really enjoyed this, thought it was very interesting and well put together.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #1362 on: December 20, 2018, 08:54:30 pm »
Nice to see Jack Rodwell come across so well. Twat.
AHA!

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #1363 on: January 1, 2019, 12:35:28 am »
Was a good watch . Their diets seemed shocking . Rodwell what a twat .

Think the supporters came across well and their love and passion evident .

Grayson didnt seem to inspire
" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #1364 on: January 1, 2019, 09:40:45 pm »
Have watched it and I'm not sure why the club would have agreed to something like that. Because it just comes across like a huge mess from top to bottom. Some of the stuff is just bizarre to watch. I'd agree that the only people who come out of it with any credit are the supporters who are followed closely and who are named. Not so sure about their general support though. They talk about them being the best supporters in the world a lot, but they seem to be pretty happy to turn on their players whenever things are going wrong...

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #1365 on: January 2, 2019, 12:41:57 pm »
Have watched it and I'm not sure why the club would have agreed to something like that.

Probably expected a triumphant league-winning return to the top flight.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #1366 on: January 2, 2019, 12:57:09 pm »
My take from it is that Chris Coleman is a lucky man.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1367 on: January 2, 2019, 01:17:22 pm »
Probably expected a triumphant league-winning return to the top flight.

Or interest from a prospective buyer before they were bought. I've only caught the first episode so far, but Grayson's pep talk using clichés and a flipchart (when their modern training ground has a giant whiteboard behind him) seems to sum up the direction this is going
« Last Edit: January 3, 2019, 03:06:07 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1368 on: January 2, 2019, 04:38:45 pm »
Coleman comes off this not looking bad himself, still no idea why on the back of a strong Euro 2016 campaign did he go there out of all places.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #1369 on: January 2, 2019, 04:44:14 pm »
My take from it is that Chris Coleman is a lucky man.

Indeed.
His wife seemed glad he was out of it
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1370 on: January 2, 2019, 04:46:54 pm »
Indeed.
His wife seemed glad he was out of it

No that's what I was getting at.  :D Liverpool fan too is Charlotte.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1371 on: January 2, 2019, 04:49:09 pm »
Coleman comes off this not looking bad himself, still no idea why on the back of a strong Euro 2016 campaign did he go there out of all places.
don’t think he was on all that much as Wales manager, think there was something that came out when the owl got fired that he was on around £300k a year so he probably got a huge raise there

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #1372 on: January 2, 2019, 04:57:12 pm »
Coleman came out well, I thought Martin Bain did as well really.  Interesting documentary. Grayson was exactly what I expected him to be and all that implies.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
« Reply #1373 on: January 2, 2019, 05:22:01 pm »
No that's what I was getting at.  :D Liverpool fan too is Charlotte.

Thought you were - lucky man!
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1374 on: January 2, 2019, 06:49:16 pm »
Just me or did that keeper with the ponytail / long hair (not Steele) look awfully shite?

Although I suppose having John O'Shea in front of you wouldn't help.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #1375 on: January 2, 2019, 07:05:46 pm »
Coleman came out well, I thought Martin Bain did as well really.  Interesting documentary. Grayson was exactly what I expected him to be and all that implies.

I kind of agree on Coleman even though Aiden McGeady was having a real go at him, but that was just dropped after they had shown the rant. Not so sure about Bain though. He did come across as someone who's all talk but gets very little done. Like when he's constantly going on about how hard it is to sign players, but then they basically leave it to the last day of the window twice to fill the positions that need filling. I get that a couple of deals fell through like the one with the striker who then went to Cardiff or whatever. It just doesn't feel right how they did their business knowing that they would have issues getting players.

Just me or did that keeper with the ponytail / long hair (not Steele) look awfully shite?

In a way all of their keepers looked pretty terrible. As you've said playing behind John O'Shea probably didn't help. And the constant changing of keepers wasn't very helpful either.

The biggest mystery seems to be why they got rid off Grabban (or why they got him to a point where he wanted to leave) when they knew that they had no other decent striker and little hope of getting one. I would have imagined that they would do everything to keep him happy and make him stay until the end of the season.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1376 on: January 2, 2019, 07:13:56 pm »

It didn't help that they only showed opposition chances from which they scored. Camp (I think was his name) didn't make one save in the show.

I have to ask, did anyone else find this unintentionally funny? That Bain guy could take over as the boss in The Office and I got some serious Rob Lowe in Parks & Rec vibes from Coleman.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1377 on: January 2, 2019, 07:17:19 pm »
I was browsing a Sunderland forum to see how their fans feel about the doc (largely positive) and also had a quick look at their PL threads: so much bile towards our club. Hilarious really.

Clubs love manufacturing hatred or rivalry with us - maybe they should all get little sections of their club shops dedicated to merchandise  about us. They’d have as much money as City.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2019, 07:30:40 pm by JamesG L4 »
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1378 on: January 2, 2019, 07:31:46 pm »
Who cares what a League 1 team thinks of us :wave

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1379 on: January 2, 2019, 08:07:22 pm »

Clubs love manufacturing hatred or rivalry with us.

Bless their cotton socks, it makes them feel valued.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1380 on: January 2, 2019, 08:19:56 pm »
Their record signing (Didier Ndong) along with his former teammate Papy Djilobodji have joined Guingamp on a free. Sunderland sacked Ndong and  Djilobodji in October. Ndong ended up going back to Gabon for a few months to train with a team in the Gabonese third division (Club Sportif de Libreville). Djilobodji somehow cost them £8m, despite being fucking awful on loan at Werder Bremen.

I recall shortly after Ndong joined Sunderland, Lorient's president told the French press that Sunderland paid €20m for Ndong, which was more than what Sunderland claimed. They also bid several times for him in quick succession. Lorient were eager to sell him as the fee was laughably high (half their operating budget for the year) and they felt they couldn't rely on him due to his African Cup of Nations commitments. At the same time, as they were agreeing this deal, they left Yann M'Vila at Heathrow airport  and refused to answer his calls when he was eager to join them early ahead of a pre-contract, which was later cancelled.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1381 on: January 2, 2019, 09:17:05 pm »
It didn't help that they only showed opposition chances from which they scored. Camp (I think was his name) didn't make one save in the show.

I have to ask, did anyone else find this unintentionally funny? That Bain guy could take over as the boss in The Office and I got some serious Rob Lowe in Parks & Rec vibes from Coleman.
personally found the first episode when they’re talking about winning the league and then over the upcoming episodes the realisation they’re truly shite quite funny

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #1382 on: January 3, 2019, 11:32:26 am »
I was browsing a Sunderland forum to see how their fans feel about the doc (largely positive) and also had a quick look at their PL threads: so much bile towards our club. Hilarious really.

Clubs love manufacturing hatred or rivalry with us - maybe they should all get little sections of their club shops dedicated to merchandise  about us. They’d have as much money as City.

Its the same with most, if not all of the clubs in England, fuck the lot of them. 

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #1383 on: January 3, 2019, 02:57:49 pm »
Maybe it's the editing, but episodes two and three were pure car crash television. Yes, Bain comes across as a bit smarmy, but I couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for him in these two episodes. He's obviously been given a remit to lower costs and change certain aspects of the organizational culture at the club, but despite Sunderland's modern facilities, everything seems so backwards. Communication appears to be poor at all levels. On the pitch, Grayson has one of his coaches text new back-up keeper Robbin Ruiter to inform him that he's playing without apparently informing Jason Steele that he has been dropped. Both keepers seem confused by the decision.

Again perhaps due to the editing, the manner in which the youth coach discusses the strategy to incorporate younger players almost appears to have been wedged in during the transfer window, rather than at the beginning of the season. That said, myself and other posters in this thread have repeatedly brought up the faults in Sunderland's recruitment policy and use of its academy system, which could have helped strengthen their position and build on their high quality infrastructure resources.

The scouting and recruitment session was utterly cringeworthy and amateurish, when someone added Zlatan Ibrahimovic to a recruitment list and the scouts apparently hadn't factored in wages. Oh and then there is the segment during which one of the club's head scouts turns his nose up at a player at Scunthorpe seemingly for wearing gloves early in the season.  And then in episode three, after the sponsors Q&A at the ground in the previous episode featuring two exceptionally disinterested players, the club decide to have a supporters' Q&A session at a fucking pub featuring two more exceptionally disinterested players with the same results. Amazing to think this is a multimillion pound business.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2019, 03:06:40 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline Lotus Eater

• Kopite
« Reply #1384 on: January 3, 2019, 03:12:36 pm »
Its the same with most, if not all of the clubs in England, fuck the lot of them.

But then if you met them in a pub and had a chat - the match-going fans would probably be sound

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1385 on: January 3, 2019, 03:23:19 pm »
Thought this was a fantastic watch, unprecedented really how honest it was. They probably thought they were making a film about a promotion to the premier league but ultimately I bet the filmmakers were extremely happy with how it went, on the sly of course!

On Bain he did come across well and it did look an impossible job, however there is some hypocrisy there over his treatment of Rodwell. Rodwell came across like a right wanker admittedly but Bain was on 1.2 million a year, the highest paid in Sunderland's history. If he can ask Rodwell to rip up his contract and go from 70000 a week to the potential of nothing for a year then maybe he could have taken a cut to his own salary?

Grabban was another classic villain. You could almost understand him wanting out of the place given the toxic atmosphere but at the same time Coleman was right in how players feel entitled to walk into a perfect environment rather than helping to create one. We've seen it with the likes of Sterling and Coutinho, who wanted to win things but wouldn't take responsibility for the fact they were part of teams that didn't win trophies. Seeing Grabban celebrate in front of the Sunderland fans though did definitely show that there's a lot of players out there completely out of touch with the fans and really don't give a fuck. I'd like to think he's watched it and realised he got it wrong.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1386 on: January 4, 2019, 03:40:55 am »
Was a good watch . Their diets seemed shocking . Rodwell what a twat .

Think the supporters came across well and their love and passion evident .

Grayson didnt seem to inspire

Grayson didn't have a clue, the Goalkeeper situation was laughable, texting the newly signed backup that he's playing without informing the regular keeper he's being dropped within an hour of kickoff, how is that supposed to inspire confidence.

Big problem with Sunderland is the turnover of managers they've had, they've had 3 managers in the last 18 months alone, main reason they're in the shit, coupled with signing average players for big wages,.

Darron Gibson what a pisshead, shooting his mouth off whilst pissed, then gets done for drink driving, very lucky not to get a holiday courtesy of Her Majesty's, as it's not the first time he's been done for drink driving.
#Sausages

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1387 on: January 4, 2019, 05:30:48 pm »
I watched it the other night.

I felt for both Grayson and Perry/Coleman. Neither is a completely rubbish football manager but in both cases, the scale of the mess they had to fix overwhelmed them. In this day and age, you would expect a large well funded football club to take matters in hand when an important players drink problem begins to cause issues.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2019, 05:56:28 pm by MrGrumpy »
Justice for the 96!

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
« Reply #1388 on: February 8, 2019, 02:45:47 pm »
Disagree that Martin Bain and Simon Grayson came across well.

Difficult job yes, but Bain seemed all style and no substance. Gave of a facade of hard work with his cups of coffee in hand, but ultimately achieved nothing, scrambling around on deadline day to get second-rate deals over the line.

Grayson couldn't make his mind up on anything. Blood youth? Maybe. Goalkeeper? Could be any one of 3 on the day. Punish Gibson or bring him back into the fold?

An absolute mess alround, at least Coleman got the club pulling in one direction it seemed.
Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #1389 on: February 9, 2019, 11:39:23 am »
Would love to see Grayson at Everton.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1390 on: February 9, 2019, 11:54:41 am »
Would love to see Grayson at Everton.
wouldnt wish that on him, Sunderland to everton is just cruel

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1391 on: February 9, 2019, 03:54:27 pm »
Disagree that Martin Bain and Simon Grayson came across well.

Difficult job yes, but Bain seemed all style and no substance. Gave of a facade of hard work with his cups of coffee in hand, but ultimately achieved nothing, scrambling around on deadline day to get second-rate deals over the line.

Grayson couldn't make his mind up on anything. Blood youth? Maybe. Goalkeeper? Could be any one of 3 on the day. Punish Gibson or bring him back into the fold?

An absolute mess alround, at least Coleman got the club pulling in one direction it seemed.

Grayson came across as a ditherer, the goalkeeper situation being one farcical scene, were he chose who was keeper[ Robbin Ruiter], hours before kickoff by text but didn't inform the other keeper[Jason Steele], he was dropped, Jason Steele is now at Brighton bet he's relieved to be out of there.

Gibson as i've sad a pisshead, annoying in a way he was the only player that looked like they cared about the situation they were in.
#Sausages

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1392 on: February 9, 2019, 04:05:28 pm »
Good news is there’s a second season!

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #1393 on: February 9, 2019, 08:40:02 pm »
I may be in the minority here, but I thought the fans come across horrifically (apart from that taxi driver who seems a decent enough fella). They couldn't wait to whip out their pitchforks and shout abuse at all of the players and staff, without even a thought to actually support their team and help them on - no chance they were going to get out of that relegation fight with the fans constantly on their backs. "Best supporters in the world" they claimed, as they sit in a mostly empty stadium telling their players to fuck off!

Plus starting a fight on Coleman and wrecking that fella's camera was just utter shithousery. Feel absolutely zero sympathy for them.

That club must be ran so so poorly to have wasted so much money on not only utter shite, but sacking managers and then having to try and re-build with a new manager. No wonder they're in the state they're in.

Still have the last episode to watch, but I think overall the documentary's been really interesting to a club I have zero interest in. Could do with a few less slo-mo's but that's just nit picking.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2019, 08:43:34 pm by iamnant »
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1394 on: February 9, 2019, 08:54:17 pm »
I may be in the minority here, but I thought the fans come across horrifically (apart from that taxi driver who seems a decent enough fella). They couldn't wait to whip out their pitchforks and shout abuse at all of the players and staff, without even a thought to actually support their team and help them on - no chance they were going to get out of that relegation fight with the fans constantly on their backs. "Best supporters in the world" they claimed, as they sit in a mostly empty stadium telling their players to fuck off!

Plus starting a fight on Coleman and wrecking that fella's camera was just utter shithousery. Feel absolutely zero sympathy for them.

That club must be ran so so poorly to have wasted so much money on not only utter shite, but sacking managers and then having to try and re-build with a new manager. No wonder they're in the state they're in.

Still have the last episode to watch, but I think overall the documentary's been really interesting to a club I have zero interest in. Could do with a few less slo-mo's but that's just nit picking.
Agree on the fans and turning their backs on the players. The even did it in the friendly. But then again imagine being that shit for that long.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1395 on: February 28, 2019, 04:54:10 pm »
https://twitter.com/_jmallen/status/1101160679011176449?s=21

Can’t say I’d expect this, but fair play to tuchel

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1396 on: February 28, 2019, 05:06:17 pm »

You're not. From them booing the team in the fucking friendly match just for openers. They seemed so clueless as to why they never won any home games in so long. Thought apart from one or two they were just horrendous fans, absolute zero chances given to any of the team even when a new manager was brought in it was back to booing and screaming abuse by the first game. How the fuck can you expect a team to play for you under that much pressure.

I think the player who went to aston villa then absolutely loved celebrating in front of the fans on his return summed it up. Unless the guy is a massive twat why would you get so much pleasure in doing that? Well maybe because he was getting dogs abuse from start to finish while he was there from the fans.

Playing devils advocate though maybe they had just had enough from the season before and just couldn't give them anymore chances or support.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1397 on: April 13, 2019, 05:02:36 pm »
Sunderland lose 5-4 at home to Coventry, was 3-3 at halftime. :lmao
#Sausages

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1398 on: April 13, 2019, 05:06:48 pm »
Sunderland lose 5-4 at home to Coventry, was 3-3 at halftime. :lmao
I miss the 2 derby games but apart from that I want this shower of c*nts to keep getting relegated until their local derby games are against Gateshead in the Vanarama National League . . . . and I'll back Gateshead to beat them.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1399 on: April 13, 2019, 05:37:33 pm »
That’ll be great on the Netflix doc