Author Topic: Typhoid Trump: the not-smart, corrupt, coward, loser, thread  (Read 4613504 times)

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
And so he blames his own staff...

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/04/politics/donald-trump-jeff-sessions-reince-priebus/index.html

He is a total disaster. The Republicans will look back at this administration with shame.

You're assuming they have any shame at all. Don't confuse the Republicans of 30-40 years ago with this current bunch of pussyfooting imposters.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
Exactly. I wish we could forward time about a year to know what has been going on. My theory is that the interference in the election happened without Trump's campaign being in on it. The Russians will probably have sounded them out on what they'll do if they win but that will be it. However, I also think that Trump has financial ties to Russia and that that will be influencing his decisions. Rachel Maddow has done some very interesting pieces on Trump's possible connections to Russia. Like selling an estate in the US for a huge profit to Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev only a short time after Trump had bought it himself. Or the commerce secretary Wilbur Ross also being the Vice Chairman of the Bank of Cyprus that has clear ties to Russian oligarchs and the Kremlin. It will be interesting to see once everything is uncovered and I think that will only happen after Trump's financial information is out in the open...

It's simple really. He's probably borrowed tens of millions of dollars from Russian oligarchs - all of whom answer to Putin - to save his crumbling business empire and Trump name. Like you said, the election interference might have happened without his campaign being in on it, but his financial ties to Russia will no doubt influence any potential future decisions he might have when it comes to dealing with Russia, just as he would have been warned. He's just waiting and hoping for this whole Russian shitstorm to pass and blow over before he can begin repaying his debts.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2017, 10:55:50 pm by Caligula? »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Exactly. I wish we could forward time about a year to know what has been going on. My theory is that the interference in the election happened without Trump's campaign being in on it. The Russians will probably have sounded them out on what they'll do if they win but that will be it. However, I also think that Trump has financial ties to Russia and that that will be influencing his decisions. Rachel Maddow has done some very interesting pieces on Trump's possible connections to Russia. Like selling an estate in the US for a huge profit to Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev only a short time after Trump had bought it himself. Or the commerce secretary Wilbur Ross also being the Vice Chairman of the Bank of Cyprus that has clear ties to Russian oligarchs and the Kremlin. It will be interesting to see once everything is uncovered and I think that will only happen after Trump's financial information is out in the open...

I agree.  There's nobody in the Trump administration smart enough to orchestrate active collusion.  Anybody with any brains is hampered by a blinkered viewpoint of what just he or she wants to do and can't see the bigger picture.

Trump has attachment issues and his business dealings generate conflicts of interest.  He will worry about making Russia angry because what it could cost him personally, rather than what is best for his nation.

Goes back to what I said earlier though - the GOP seem happy to allow this man baby to behave in this way, and even modify their own policy towards Russia to keep Trump happy.  That compromises the entire GOP, who increasingly seem more interested in being in charge than their own country's best interests. 

Unless somebody somewhere has dirt on certain senators and congresspeople, getting enough GOP members onboard for impeachment could prove difficult.  Which raises the probability that another entity within government will take independent action. 
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
Democrats Bet G.O.P. Will Come to Regret Opposing Scrutiny of Trump

WASHINGTON — President Trump gives Democrats in Congress an ideal adversary, one who can set off impassioned protests and ignite their supporters with a single Twitter post.

But with the Democrats’ power severely limited by their minority status, they cannot conduct congressional investigations. The chances their bills will even get a vote are slim.

What they do possess, they hope, is the power to shame. So they have been offering up bills that stand virtually no chance of passing, like ones forcing Mr. Trump to release his tax returns, with the clear intent of putting Republicans on the record now in hopes that voters will punish them later.

Last week, Representative Nancy Pelosi of California, the House Democratic leader, vowed a weekly vote on the matter. “We’re just going to pound away,” she told colleagues in a closed-door meeting, according to an aide who was present.

The results so far are decidedly modest. On Friday, two House Republicans signed a Democratic letter requesting the release of the president’s tax returns, becoming the only Republicans to do so.

During the first six weeks of the Trump administration, Republicans have supported the president with a watch-what-he-does, not-what-he-says approach. It has largely been a policy of muted assent.

Democrats have eagerly filled the void with a steady trickle of measures, using arcane procedures to produce a paper trail. Some have seemingly innocuous aims, like a House bill that would create an independent, bipartisan commission to investigate foreign interference in the 2016 election. The measure has drawn just one Republican co-sponsor.

“I think we’re going at it from all angles, hoping that whether it’s the pressure or wanting to do the right thing,” Republicans will join them, said Representative Eric Swalwell of California, one of the two Democrats who introduced the bill. “Whichever comes first.”

Democrats say the tax returns provide a nexus between concerns about Mr. Trump’s personal financial conflicts of interest and his campaign’s ties to the Russian government, issues that have troubled members of the president’s own party.

“I’m for transparency,” Senator Bill Cassidy, Republican of Louisiana, told a few hundred people in a high school cafeteria in Denham Springs, La., on a recent afternoon, stopping well short of a call for legislation.

Senator Ron Wyden of Oregon, the top Democrat on the Senate Finance Committee, has led the chamber’s efforts to disclose Mr. Trump’s returns, a push he said was driven by constituent outrage.

“People just kind of gasp,” Mr. Wyden said. “I can tell you it comes up at every one of my town meetings. People think it is very much linked to the Russia issue.”

In the House, Democrats have pressed the issue on several, so far fruitless fronts. Representative Bill Pascrell Jr. of New Jersey, who wrote the letter that has drawn two Republican signatures, introduced a measure that would compel the House Committee on Ways and Means to request Mr. Trump’s tax documents, as it is empowered to do.

Mr. Pascrell used a privileged resolution, a procedure that allows even a single member to bypass leadership to bring up a measure for a vote — and that was more theatrically employed by some House conservatives in the fall in an effort to oust the head of the Internal Revenue Service over objections by their leaders. Mr. Pascrell’s measure failed in a floor vote last week along party lines.

Representative Kevin Brady, Republican of Texas and the chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, has resisted calls to, as he described it to reporters, “rummage around in the tax returns of the president.”

A few Republicans have broken from their party on investigating connections between Mr. Trump’s campaign and Russia. Representative Darrell Issa of California, who narrowly won re-election in November and is considered vulnerable in 2018, recently called for an outside investigation. The House and Senate intelligence committees will conduct their own inquiries.

Representative Walter B. Jones of North Carolina — who, with Representative Mark Sanford of South Carolina, signed Mr. Pascrell’s letter and voted “present” on his measure — said he wanted to send a message to Republican leaders that he intended to keep “an open mind.”

Mr. Jones is also the sole Republican co-sponsor on Mr. Swalwell’s independent commission bill, calling Russian interference in the election “serious business.” (“Here you go again, Walter,” he recalled a couple of Republican colleagues saying to him.)

“If they would not let the politics drive their thinking and let the needs of the American people drive their thinking, then I think some of them would join this effort,” he said.

With control of what legislation comes to the floor in both the House and Senate, Republican leaders have easily fended off Democrats. A House measure seeking more information on Mr. Trump’s conflicts of interest and his ties to Russia was sent to the Judiciary Committee, where it was rejected along party lines last week.

The vote came at the end of the committee’s meeting, hours before Mr. Trump’s address to a joint session of Congress, when many lawmakers were having dinner. When the livestream on the committee’s website temporarily failed, Democrats streamed the meeting on their Facebook pages, a low-yield guerrilla-style tactic.

While Democrats argue that they are giving voice to concerns about the Trump administration, pressuring rivals to cast votes on a contentious subject is a standard political strategy.

Democrats are hoping to use the Republican votes against forcing disclosure of Mr. Trump’s tax returns, and on other issues, in the 2018 midterm elections.

“Now he is the president, he is their standard-bearer,” said Meredith Kelly, a spokeswoman for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, the campaign arm of House Democrats. “They’ll have real votes on his agenda, from helping him hide his tax returns to helping him hide his connections to Russia.”

But Matt Gorman, a spokesman for the House Republicans’ campaign organization, the National Republican Congressional Committee, said their incumbents had established themselves with their voters, who care more about economic issues than whether a particular lawmaker pushed to see Mr. Trump’s tax returns.

“Voters won’t be swayed by these legislative tactics,” Mr. Gorman said. “They’re stunts.”

Mr. Jones said he saw the efforts to answer Americans’ lingering questions about the election as a “service” to the Trump administration, as well.

“We are an equal branch,” he said. “We have an obligation to the American people, just like the president has. And to me, I think the sooner we start dealing with this situation, the better off we are.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/democrats-bet-gop-will-come-to-regret-opposing-scrutiny-of-trump/ar-AAnPfij?ocid=SK216DHP
Kill the humourless

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Trump .. can .. just ... without any repercussions

That seems to a great summary of this madness right there. I do not understand. More bizarrely, the conspiracy theorists that normally would be all over this like a rash, are openly advocating him. It's the weirdest fucking thing ever.

Most importantly though... it would be good to have a chat about what repercussions must be possible/likely for a president that openly slanders and lies in unprecedented ways. Surely...

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
So much wrapped up in this story.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/05/us/politics/trump-seeks-inquiry-into-allegations-that-obama-tapped-his-phones.html

So much, you're right.

Most concerned by the penultimate para. If the public believe he's had his phone tapped, then the absence of an absolute smoking gun would be hugely useful in the court of public opinion. Hopefully he's in a different court by then though, and one more influenced by interpretations of laws.

The irony of Comey being concerned about a "highly charged claim" that's untrue is a bit sickening.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2017, 12:57:38 am by Classycara »

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
So much, you're right.

Most concerned by the penultimate para. If the public believe he's had his phone tapped, then the absence of an absolute smoking gun would be hugely useful in the court of public opinion. Hopefully he's in a different court by then though, and one more influenced by interpretations of laws.

The irony of Comey being concerned about a "highly charged claim" that's untrue is a bit sickening.

You know, I try, moderately, to stay away from conspiracy theories (the last one I bought into, and still believe, being that the Turkey coup was a glorified false flag), but god damn does Comey just reek of it. It doesn't take much effort to look at Comey's behavior and see the intelligence services manipulating their own preferred man into the presidency (whoever that may be). Let me don my cap of foil:

1. FBI hates Hillary for whatever reason.
2. They know they've got enough dirt on Trump to put him in prison five times over.
3. Comey sabotages Clinton's chances at the last minute.
4. Trump becomes president, FBI begins leaking embarrassing/incriminating info, putting him in a precarious position in general and chipping away at his ability to enact his agenda.
5. When the time is right, they either blackmail him into submission or take him down, either way serving whatever purpose they've got.

Orrrrrrr Comey is just a spineless dick who sent out that letter before the election because he knew he'd catch a mountain of shit if the Republicans found out he hadn't disclosed the "new evidence." But, being mildly competent at his job, he's calling bullshit on Trump's insane, dangerous claims.

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
What a strange time to be alive that the world is looking at the FBI/CIA/NSA and hoping they can bring a president to heel.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2017, 06:58:59 am by leroy »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
What a strange time to be alive that the world is looking at the FBA/CIA/NSA and hoping they can bring a president to heel.

:D

To be fair, the FBI were largely responsible (both officially and *ahem* unofficially) in removing Nixon from office.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.

The public who need a "smoking gun" won't believe it exists even if Putin himself was popping to his local bank to wire transfer money across to Trump. Trump's already been out in front of them asking for Clinton to be hacked and they thought it was the most brilliant idea ever. To me, it seems there is a terrible issue with how quickly parts of the GOP are willing to ape Trump's lead on absolutely anything. They have a lot of incentive not to push any investigation past the first most likely scapegoats and to try and discredit any evidence which requires being seen with a very wide perspective.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Donald Trump's wiretap claim 'could be a matter that brings down a president', former CIA analyst says

The FBI disputing Donald Trump's claim Barack Obama had his telephones tapped during the election "could be a matter that brings down a president," a former CIA analyst has said.

"It doesn't happen at all," Aki Peritz, former CIA counter-terrorism analyst, told BBC Radio 4. "If the president is to be believed, Barack Obama had done something that is completely out of character and has not been done since the 1970s, and even then that caused all kind of scandal during the Nixon years."

Mr Peritz said Mr Obama, who is a constitutional lawyer, "would never do this".

Over the weekend, FBI director James Comey argued the claim must be corrected by the Justice Department because it falsely insinuates the FBI broke the law.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer called for the US Congress to investigate Mr Trump's claim, which he said was based on "very troubling" reports "concerning potentially politically motivated investigations immediately ahead of the 2016 election".

Mr Spicer said the White House wants the congressional committees to "exercise their oversight authority to determine whether executive branch investigative powers were abused in 2016".

Despite the severity of his claim, Mr Trump did not provide any evidence Mr Obama was responsible for surveillance at his property and has not provided any since.

Mr Peritz said: "When director Comey comes out and probably repudiates this accusation by the president, we've set up a very interesting uncharted place where you have one of our top law enforcement officials going up against the president."

When asked if it was a truly serious matter, he replied: "This could be a matter that brings down a president. It also could be nothing at all.

"The US government really has to do a very thorough investigation into the relationships, if they exist, between the Russian government, the Russian intelligence services and individuals in the Trump campaign during and after the campaign."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-barack-obama-wiretap-claim-could-bring-down-president-former-cia-analyst-aki-peritz-a7613151.html
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Washington Post goes deep. Remember that the NYT and WaPo are basically engaged in an arms race to get the most info about this WH.   How's that 'No Leaks' policy going, Reincey?
This account of the administration’s tumultuous recent days is based on interviews with 17 top White House officials, members of Congress and friends of the president, many of whom requested anonymity to speak candidly.
Oh.

Inside Trump’s fury: The president rages at leaks, setbacks and accusations

Trump was mad — steaming, raging mad.

Trump’s young presidency has existed in a perpetual state of chaos. The issue of Russia has distracted from what was meant to be his most triumphant moment: his address last Tuesday to a joint session of Congress. And now his latest unfounded accusation — that Barack Obama tapped Trump’s phones during last fall’s campaign — had been denied by the former president and doubted by both allies and fellow Republicans.

When Trump ran into Christopher Ruddy on the golf course and later at dinner Saturday, he vented to his friend. “This will be investigated,” Ruddy recalled Trump telling him. “It will all come out. I will be proven right.”

“He was pissed,” said Ruddy, the chief executive of Newsmax, a conservative media company. “I haven’t seen him this angry.”

Trump enters week seven of his presidency the same as the six before it: enmeshed in controversy while struggling to make good on his campaign promises. At a time when White House staffers had sought to ride the momentum from Trump’s speech to Congress and begin advancing its agenda on Capitol Hill, the administration finds itself beset yet again by disorder and suspicion.
More...

Gnawing at Trump, according to one of his advisers, is the comparison between his early track record and that of Obama in 2009, when amid the Great Recession he enacted an economic stimulus bill and other big-ticket items.
- Small child is jealous that the other kid in the class got stuff done and got praise for it

“Every time there’s a palace intrigue story or negative story about Reince, the whole West Wing shuts down,” the official said.
- Small child is jealous that his friend is getting some attention

That night at Mar-a-Lago, Trump had dinner with Sessions, Bannon, Homeland Security Secretary John F. Kelly and White House senior policy adviser Stephen Miller, among others. They tried to put Trump in a better mood by going over their implementation plans for the travel ban, according to a White House official.
- Parents try to placate small child having a tantrum by telling him how they're going to break up families, subvert constitution, etc.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The public who need a "smoking gun" won't believe it exists even if Putin himself was popping to his local bank to wire transfer money across to Trump. Trump's already been out in front of them asking for Clinton to be hacked and they thought it was the most brilliant idea ever. To me, it seems there is a terrible issue with how quickly parts of the GOP are willing to ape Trump's lead on absolutely anything. They have a lot of incentive not to push any investigation past the first most likely scapegoats and to try and discredit any evidence which requires being seen with a very wide perspective.

I think the main (and possibly only) indicator that the tide is turning against Trump will be if FOX turns against him (Shep Smith, alone, doesn't count). Breitbart, Infowars and the like have taken a terrifyingly prominent role, and they're an enormous problem, but their readership is still minuscule compared to FOX's fanbase. The latter is largely not insane as well, and probably still capable of having their opinions shifted. Most of their anchors, unfortunately, are leaning all the way into this wiretapping thing as though it's true. The enormous irresponsibility of which, had I been asleep for the last 20 years, would have shocked me.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
I think the main (and possibly only) indicator that the tide is turning against Trump will be if FOX turns against him (Shep Smith, alone, doesn't count). Breitbart, Infowars and the like have taken a terrifyingly prominent role, and they're an enormous problem, but their readership is still minuscule compared to FOX's fanbase. The latter is largely not insane as well, and probably still capable of having their opinions shifted. Most of their anchors, unfortunately, are leaning all the way into this wiretapping thing as though it's true. The enormous irresponsibility of which, had I been asleep for the last 20 years, would have shocked me.

There's that supposed divide between Fox news and Fox 'opinion'. But I can't see people like Hannity renouncing Trump for any reason. Nor a huge chunk of his believing viewers. It's far easier to fight a war against a deep state of liberals trying to overthrow the elected president than to eat humble pie. I'm not really referencing those who are outside of the reinforcing circle jerk of bonkers stuff, but those who are there and have no intention of leaving.The President of the USA included among them!

I've not had chance to properly take in a (kind of) related dive into US media and politics. But just skimming through, it's pretty eye opening. Going to drop the conclusion it offers:

It is a mistake to dismiss these stories as “fake news”; their power stems from a potent mix of verifiable facts (the leaked Podesta emails), familiar repeated falsehoods, paranoid logic, and consistent political orientation within a mutually-reinforcing network of like-minded sites.

Use of disinformation by partisan media sources is neither new nor limited to the right wing, but the insulation of the partisan right-wing media from traditional journalistic media sources, and the vehemence of its attacks on journalism in common cause with a similarly outspoken president, is new and distinctive.

Rebuilding a basis on which Americans can form a shared belief about what is going on is a precondition of democracy, and the most important task confronting the press going forward. Our data strongly suggest that most Americans, including those who access news through social networks, continue to pay attention to traditional media, following professional journalistic practices, and cross-reference what they read on partisan sites with what they read on mass media sites.

To accomplish this, traditional media needs to reorient, not by developing better viral content and clickbait to compete in the social media environment, but by recognizing that it is operating in a propaganda and disinformation-rich environment. This, not Macedonian teenagers or Facebook, is the real challenge of the coming years. Rising to this challenge could usher in a new golden age for the Fourth Estate.

http://www.cjr.org/analysis/breitbart-media-trump-harvard-study.php

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
I agree that Fox turning against him would be huge however the tide has already started with the stories about the "fightback" against the republican party.

This is what will bury Trump - and eventually persuade Fox to turn. I hope he goes in hard on Priebus to accelerate the process.
Mate, with all due respect, you are an absolute fucking fruit case -MOZ

Seriously mate - You post such utter fucking gash with such conviction it's quite spell binding. - Alan_X

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.

Trump Regime Sanctioned Media - such as we see at the Press briefings, where the non-sycophantic outlets are banned - is a small step away from the formation of a Ministry of Truth. I absolutely believe that this is what his regime is pushing for; the control the media so that they can do whatever they want with no awkward questions asked.

The likes of the NYT and Washington Post have to keep pounding away to get to the truth every day, particularly the Russian connection. It`s their job and a large part of what has kept America from sliding into autocracy.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
NYT and WP know what's at stake. FOX doesn't give a crap cause they're full of shit anyway.

If FOX turned and Trump fell, people might look at Murdoch and start asking themselves who really has the power in America.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
What a strange time to be alive that the world is looking at the FBI/CIA/NSA and hoping they can bring a president to heel.

They work for Congressmen and Senators on committees that are career Washington politicians rather than any President. The FBI casting doubts about Hillary's trustworthiness was about electing Congressmen and Senators that would counter President HRC, not electing Trump. Not surprised they are not playing along with him.

Just like people assume that the stock market (mainly financial stocks) doing well since the election is down to a 'trump bounce', when really it is about the bought-and-paid-for Republicans being in charge of various committees and both houses.

« Last Edit: March 6, 2017, 03:36:08 pm by Giono »
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
This is fun. Long investigative report from The New Yorker into one of Trump's deals in Azerbaijan, involving, among other things, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard.

No evidence has surfaced showing that Donald Drumpf, or any of his employees involved in the Baku deal, actively participated in bribery, money laundering, or other illegal behavior. But the Trump Organization may have broken the law in its work with the Mammadov family. The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, passed in 1977, forbade American companies from participating in a scheme to reward a foreign government official in exchange for material benefit or preferential treatment. The law even made it a crime for an American company to unknowingly benefit from a partner’s corruption if it could have discovered illicit activity but avoided doing so. This closed what was known as the “head in the sand” loophole.

More than a dozen lawyers with experience in F.C.P.A. prosecution expressed surprise at the Trump Organization’s seemingly lax approach to vetting its foreign partners. But, when I asked a former Trump Organization executive if the Baku deal had seemed unusual, he laughed. “No deal there seems unusual, as long as a check is attached,” he said.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/03/13/donald-trumps-worst-deal

Imagine all the due diligence Trump must get through to check out his business partners in the US or even to check out his campaign staff and advisors...
« Last Edit: March 6, 2017, 03:40:10 pm by Zeb »

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
David Letterman on Life After TV, Late Night Today, and the Man He Calls Trumpy

Since retiring after 33 years on the late night television, David Letterman has kept a low public profile — aided by the growth of a truly impressive beard. But that doesn’t mean he hasn’t been as fixated on politics as the rest of us. “If I still had a show,” says the 69-year-old, dressed in a baggy sweater and cargo pants and sitting high above midtown Manhattan in a conference room at his publicist’s offices, “people would have to come and take me off the stage. ‘Dave, that’s enough about Trump. We’ve run out of tape.’ It’s all I’d be talking about. I’d be exhausted.” Late-night TV comedy has offered some of the sharpest — and most-remarked-upon — responses to the Trump presidency. But despite the work of Stephen Colbert, Seth Meyers, Saturday Night Live, and the rest, it’s hard not to wish Letterman, late-night’s greatest ironist and most ornery host, was still around to take aim. And so we’ve brought him out of retirement to weigh in on life after television and his old frequent guest and punching bag, the man he calls Trumpy.

David Marchese: I’ve always loved Leaves of Grass, so it’s a pleasure to meet the man who wrote it.

David Letterman: I’ve given up on making that kind of joke because I ran out of people with beards other than Walt Whitman that anyone knew — the joke didn’t work as well when I used Frederick Douglass. But great things have happened to me since I’ve been walking around with this beard. I was in Santa Monica, at the Ocean Park Café, and this woman comes over and she says, “Are you who I think you are?” And I said, “That depends on who you think I am.” She said, “You’re Chuck Close.” I said, “Yeah, yeah, I am.” She said, “Oh my God” — she has a whole story. She was an art major, and for her final project she did a pencil-drawing portrait of Chuck Close. She said, “It was the best thing I did in all of college.” I finally said, “I’m not Chuck Close.” Boom, she’s out like a shot. Gone. Then she comes back and says, “That really disappoints me.”

DM: The other thing is that somebody who loves Chuck Close that much might know that, unlike you, he’s in a wheelchair.

Good point. I wish you had been with us. Another time with this beard, I was in New York City standing on Sixth Avenue, and a woman on the sidewalk looked at me and she said, “Do you have a television show?” “No, I don’t.” “Did you used to have a television show?” “Yes, I did.” “What happened?” “I got fired.” “Are you David Letterman?” “Yes, I am.” And then she said, “Man, they ----ed you up.”

DM: Did CBS ---k you up?

What do you know? What have you heard? If anybody ----ed me up, it was me, by getting old and stupid.

DM: Have you ever wondered what you might’ve said if you’d been doing The Late Show the night after Trump was elected?

No, I haven’t thought about it. See, I was out running one day when he was still president-elect, and I thought, Let’s call him. I’ve known the guy since the ’80s. I was one of a few people who had routinely interviewed him. I’m not blinded by the white-hot light of “president-elect.” I mean, we elected a guy with that hair? Why don’t we investigate that? He looks like Al Jardine of the Beach Boys. I don’t know. I’m sorry for rambling. I’m afraid something has happened to me hormonally. I can’t stop talking.

DM: And that’s why you’re okay with being off the air?

I’m afraid if I still had a show, it would be a lot of, “We’re spending quite a lot of money on editing, Dave. If you could just keep it to an hour, we’d all appreciate that, because we have big stars who’ve flown in from Hollywood to be here.”

DM: As someone who interviewed Trump dozens of times, how did your estimation of him change over the years? The first time he came on Late Night, which I think was in ’87, there’s deference on your part to the idea that he might know something about the economy.

He was a mogul, for God’s sake.

DM: By 2012, you’re making fun of his hair apparatus and explaining to him that his ties were being made in China.

I always regarded him as, if you’re going to have New York City, you gotta have a Donald Drumpf. He was a joke of a wealthy guy. We didn’t take him seriously. He’d sit down, and I would just start making fun of him. He never had any retort. He was big and doughy, and you could beat him up. He seemed to have a good time, and the audience loved it, and that was Donald Drumpf. Beyond that, I remember a friend in the PR business told me that he knew for a fact — this was three or four presidential campaigns ago — that Donald Drumpf would never run for president; he was just monkeying around for the publicity. So I assumed that was the story and now it turns out he’s the president. Now, who owns New York?
It’s a family. The Wassersteins.

Say the head of the family, let’s say his name was Larry Wasserstein. If Larry behaved the way Donald behaves, for even a six-week period, the family would get together and say, “Jesus, somebody better call the doctor.” Then they’d ask him to step down. But Trump’s the president and he can lie about anything from the time he wakes up to what he has for lunch and he’s still the president. I don’t get that. I’m tired of people being bewildered about everything he says: “I can’t believe he said that.” We gotta stop that and instead figure out ways to protect ourselves from him. We know he’s crazy. We gotta take care of ourselves here now.

DM: How? Is comedy useful for that?

Comedy’s one of the ways that we can protect ourselves. Alec Baldwin deserves a Presidential Medal of Freedom. Sadly, he’s not going to get it from this president.

DM: Can you explain that a bit more? How does satire protect us from Donald Drumpf?

The man has such thin skin that if you keep pressure on him — I remember there was a baseball game in Cleveland, and a swarm of flies came on the field and the batters were doing this [mimes swatting at flies] while the pitcher was throwing 100 miles an hour. Well, that’s Alec Baldwin and Saturday Night Live. It’s distracting the batter. Eventually Trump’s going to take a fastball off the sternum and have to leave the game.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/david-letterman-on-life-after-tv-late-night-today-and-the-man-he-calls-trumpy/ar-AAnQ6Qg?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=SK216DHP&fullscreen=true#image=1
« Last Edit: March 6, 2017, 04:20:02 pm by jambutty »
Kill the humourless

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
Trump to impose new Muslim travel ban, same countries as the original minus Iraq

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/donald-trump-sign-new-travel-9976303#ICID=sharebar_twitter

"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

White House press secretary Sean Spicer called for the US Congress to investigate Mr Trump's claim, which he said was based on "very troubling" reports "concerning potentially politically motivated investigations immediately ahead of the 2016 election".

Another Bernhard Langer quote no doubt.

How many Trump Lies websites are out there?
« Last Edit: March 6, 2017, 03:46:14 pm by jambutty »
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Trump to impose new Muslim travel ban, same countries as the original minus Iraq

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/donald-trump-sign-new-travel-9976303#ICID=sharebar_twitter

To try to reclaim all the pro West workers who've shifted allegiance since.

When he looks back at all the shit he's caused, he's just gonna blame his enablers.
Kill the humourless

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
POTUS 25 & 35 were both assassinated. Hopefully a 1 I in 10 pattern forming.

Hope not. I'd much rather see him locked up for treason. If someone shoots him he will become a martyr. Lock him up and he will forever be an embarrassment.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
You're assuming they have any shame at all. Don't confuse the Republicans of 30-40 years ago with this current bunch of pussyfooting imposters.

It's just getting started. We have another 46 months of this madness. At this rate, Trump's only chance is to find a war so people have to get behind him. He'll do anything to protect his image. He will throw anyone and everyone under the nearest bus. The Republicans will soon realise, if they haven't already.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
Mika on Morning Joe gets more deflated every day. Someone stop this...
« Last Edit: March 6, 2017, 07:17:02 pm by Ralphie Wiggum »

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The new executive order seems to be a 90 day freeze on visas for 6 countries (original 7 minus Iraq)

It doesn't sound as crazy as the previous one and shouldn't stop people coming in if they already have approved visas or green cards. I think the big question is what happens after the 90 days. If this is just a stalling tactic before they come up with a real plan for immigration then I don't see it as being all that terrible but I wouldn't be surprised if it got extended which would effectively be an indefinite ban on visas for anyone from these countries.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
The new executive order seems to be a 90 day freeze on visas for 6 countries (original 7 minus Iraq)

It doesn't sound as crazy as the previous one and shouldn't stop people coming in if they already have approved visas or green cards. I think the big question is what happens after the 90 days. If this is just a stalling tactic before they come up with a real plan for immigration then I don't see it as being all that terrible but I wouldn't be surprised if it got extended which would effectively be an indefinite ban on visas for anyone from these countries.

But if it's not actually a Muslim ban how  are they going to stop all the muslamic terrirsts?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
Here we go... insane, chaotic, evil and discriminatory EO gets shot down in the courts; now replaced with a merely iniquitous and discriminatory EO and people will say "well, that's not so bad" and suddenly this becomes the norm.

Next: an EO banning all climate science, renewable energy projects or environmental protection of any kind... massive protests and court action... new EO merely cutting funding to all of the above by 95%... "well, that's not so bad" and suddenly this becomes the norm.

Then: an EO bans the media from any non-celebrity-related content... massive protests and court action... new EO allows FOX to reinstate its political coverage... "well, that's not so bad" and suddenly this becomes the norm.

It reminds me of that cartoon of Hamas and Netenyahu at the negotiating table and the Hamas guy is screaming "Death to Israel!", while John Kerry sits in the middle saying to Netenyahu, "can't you try and meet somewhere in the middle?". Fuck everything about Trump's Muslim ban; no matter how you present it, it is a pile of racist shit and needs to be squashed over and over until it's beyond dead.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Here we go... insane, chaotic, evil and discriminatory EO gets shot down in the courts; now replaced with a merely iniquitous and discriminatory EO and people will say "well, that's not so bad" and suddenly this becomes the norm.

Next: an EO banning all climate science, renewable energy projects or environmental protection of any kind... massive protests and court action... new EO merely cutting funding to all of the above by 95%... "well, that's not so bad" and suddenly this becomes the norm.

Then: an EO bans the media from any non-celebrity-related content... massive protests and court action... new EO allows FOX to reinstate its political coverage... "well, that's not so bad" and suddenly this becomes the norm.

It reminds me of that cartoon of Hamas and Netenyahu at the negotiating table and the Hamas guy is screaming "Death to Israel!", while John Kerry sits in the middle saying to Netenyahu, "can't you try and meet somewhere in the middle?". Fuck everything about Trump's Muslim ban; no matter how you present it, it is a pile of racist shit and needs to be squashed over and over until it's beyond dead.

Spot on. The bottom line is that there have been no terrorist attacks in the US by people from those countries and there is no clear reason why those six (or seven) countries have been selected. Especially when current IS tactics for radicalisation are not country specific.

It's a racist ban designed to pander to racists.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan

Definitely. Like you say, this is becoming or is going to be come the new normal.

My heart sank when I read about this today even though I knew it was coming. They'll no doubt be more legally careful with this one but it's the same EO in intent. Hopefully it'll be just as vehemently challenged as the last one.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
Hope not. I'd much rather see him locked up for treason. If someone shoots him he will become a martyr. Lock him up and he will forever be an embarrassment.

He doesn't have to die in the assassination.  He could just be turned into a vegetable.

Well, okay, he's already one so let's say a HARMLESS vegetable then.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
 CNN‏Verified account @CNN 5m5 minutes ago
HUD Sec. Dr. Ben Carson referred to people who crossed the Atlantic in the bottom of a slave ship as "immigrants" http://cnn.it/2muvmBW

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
CNN‏Verified account @CNN 5m5 minutes ago
HUD Sec. Dr. Ben Carson referred to people who crossed the Atlantic in the bottom of a slave ship as "immigrants" http://cnn.it/2muvmBW

Sadly, this is still far away from being the most stupid thing that has come from the Trump administration. This is where we are now.

The most insane thing is how the WH has reacted to Trump's wire tap tweet by asking for an investigation. It's the same pattern over and over again. Trump or people connected to him put out some crazy rumour as fact and then somehow turn it all around by asking others to come up with proof that it isn't. And they keep getting away with it.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan

Mike McCain

"And the American way"

Popcorn's Art

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
Sadly, this is still far away from being the most stupid thing that has come from the Trump administration. This is where we are now.

The most insane thing is how the WH has reacted to Trump's wire tap tweet by asking for an investigation. It's the same pattern over and over again. Trump or people connected to him put out some crazy rumour as fact and then somehow turn it all around by asking others to come up with proof that it isn't. And they keep getting away with it.

Yes, it's the same shit. Attack someone and shift the attention. Sessions under pressure and Trump invents something about Obama. I wish someone could just bring everything back to the first issue. What about those connections with Russia? And then ask him where is the proof. If there is no proof, the person is innocent. The accusations could probably be classed as a criminal act. Committed by Trump.

So far Trump has this religious ban that is against the Bill of Rights, same thing with him making the press the enemy. He himself is the one who is most careless with facts. He has accused the former President of a crime, he has claimed there were millions of illegal voters in the last election. The man is clearly a threat to America and its Constitution. Lock him up. Before it's too late.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Interesting MIT/Havard study on the role of Breitbart in the election: http://www.cjr.org/analysis/breitbart-media-trump-harvard-study.php

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan

Trump Tower in Toronto was put up for sale...and received no bids...so it is going to the largest creditor.

Just so you know, Toronto is one of the hottest real estate markets in the world. The average house price is 1.2 million $Cdn and the whole tower will go for $300k...

The reason for the sale is that the developers couldn't sell enough units. Trump doesn't own it, he licences his name and has a contract to manage it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/trump-tower-toronto-no-bids-1.4011755
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
Trump Tower just opened in Vancouver last week, i wonder how many condos in that have been sold given the crazy vancouver market

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan

The Vancouver market has cooled somewhat as there is now a non-resident tax being put on real estate transactions. That foreign investor money is flowing partly to Toronto.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2017, 11:58:41 pm by Giono »