Author Topic: Skrtelīs contract extension solved  (Read 9941 times)

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Skrtelīs contract extension solved
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2015, 04:16:21 pm »
Who scored have him ranked as our third best player statistically behind Coutinho and Sterling and Squawka have him ranked as our best defender and the 5th best defender in the country. You look at him and like Carra before him he has seen off all comers for the shirt and has been a consistent first choice centre back for Rafa, Hodgson, Kenny and Brendan so he must be doing something right.

Stopped there. I refuse to take it seriously after they had Patrice Evra in their team of the season before he left despite him being fucking awful for most of it.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2015, 04:17:29 pm »
Great player, almost invincible, and if the rest had half his competitiveness we would have been fine.
Probably one of our cheapest players per minute on the pitch.

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2015, 04:20:34 pm »
Great player, almost invincible

How can people genuinely say something like this about Martin Skrtel and be serious. You're all fucking mad.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2015, 04:26:48 pm »
How can people genuinely say something like this about Martin Skrtel and be serious. You're all fucking mad.

Or maybe it's just you who has a different view that isn't backed up by anything quantifiable because all the stats suggest that Skrtel is one of the best centre backs in the League. A view that has also been taken by our last four managers.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2015, 04:30:34 pm »
Or maybe it's just you who has a different view that isn't backed up by anything quantifiable because all the stats suggest that Skrtel is one of the best centre backs in the League. A view that has also been taken by our last four managers.
Pretty sure most stats guys tend to not use, or rely on defensive stats.

If you want something quantifiable look at our positions and defensive records whilst Skrtel has been a regular starter under those 4 managers

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2015, 04:35:04 pm »

Why watch players when you can go on Who Scored to find out Lovren had a better season than Lucas because he has a higher rating or Simon Mignolet was our 15th best player this season just behind Glen Johnson in 14th place. Yeah, ok.

Rafa.

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2015, 04:40:17 pm »
I genuinely can't comprehend anyone thinking Skrtel is among the best centre backs in the league. It's Arsenalesque behaviour.

If Skrtel played for another team nobody would think he was a top centre back on here. No chance.
Your having a laugh mate? He's no Beckenbauer but he is a top level CB, and he's been miles better than Kompany, anyone at United and everyone else bar the Chelsea pair (and to be hones they get an easy life the way Bourinho set-up) and Koscielny.

To be honest I think he should be our captain.

Now can all the whingers who pointed to the Skrtel contract demonstrating that the club is in meltdown, now confess to being shit houses?

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2015, 04:43:56 pm »
Your having a laugh mate? He's no Beckenbauer but he is a top level CB, and he's been miles better than Kompany, anyone at United and everyone else bar the Chelsea pair (and to be hones they get an easy life the way Bourinho set-up) and Koscielny.

To be honest I think he should be our captain.

Now can all the whingers who pointed to the Skrtel contract demonstrating that the club is in meltdown, now confess to being shit houses?

Kompany didn't have a great season but anyone who even suggests Kompany isn't a far superior player to Skrtel is deluded.

Rafa.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2015, 05:03:22 pm »
Body Slam!

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2015, 05:03:28 pm »
Good.

It will stop some of the stupid moaning fucks moaning.

Stop fucking moaning then ;)

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2015, 05:07:16 pm »
Well, I don't think he is. He's not even close to the best centre backs in the league.

It's only whoscored, but it sure does destroy the "not even close" argument of yours

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2015, 05:16:20 pm »
Another season of sitting on our 18 yard box then.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2015, 05:17:57 pm »
Probably worth pointing out Curtis Davies was the second highest rated centre back on whoscored that year.

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2015, 05:21:19 pm »

It's only whoscored, but it sure does destroy the "not even close" argument of yours

Yeah, you've completely destroyed it there. James Tomkins must be up there among the best then as Who Scored told me.

Rafa.

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2015, 05:22:03 pm »
Probably worth pointing out Curtis Davies was the second highest rated centre back on whoscored that year.

Up there among the best as well.

Rafa.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2015, 05:22:25 pm »
Why watch players when you can go on Who Scored to find out Lovren had a better season than Lucas because he has a higher rating or Simon Mignolet was our 15th best player this season just behind Glen Johnson in 14th place. Yeah, ok.

Watch players you mean the way our last 4 managers have. So you have the opinion of various managers and you have the stats backing that up. The lad is solid, dependable, has a great attitude, is always fit and most importantly for me is one of the few players who never hides and sticks up for his team mates.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Red Sea

• ...has (de)parted.
  • Legacy Fan
  • BR is the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2015, 05:24:52 pm »
didn't whoscore have dejan lovren as the best cb in the league last year?

I return to my question of, if we have the best/one of the best cbs in the league, the 2 best young players, the best cb (sakho), the best box to box mid why are we so fucking awful?!?!

The only point skrtel looked a competent player was in the 3, afforded an incredible amount of protection. Outside of that, he's poor.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2015, 05:26:21 pm »
Good stuff, he's decent and better than some turnip they would probably sign to replace him. Look at the positives.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2015, 05:26:36 pm »
Watch players you mean the way our last 4 managers have. So you have the opinion of various managers and you have the stats backing that up. The lad is solid, dependable, has a great attitude, is always fit and most importantly for me is one of the few players who never hides and sticks up for his team mates.

He's great at last ditch tackles. However, he always seems to get himself into situations where he needs to make last ditch tackles...
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2015, 05:29:03 pm »

I return to my question of, if we have the best/one of the best cbs in the league, the 2 best young players, the best cb (sakho), the best box to box mid why are we so fucking awful?!?!

The only point skrtel looked a competent player was in the 3, afforded an incredible amount of protection. Outside of that, he's poor.

How is Skrtel afforded an incredible amount of protection ?

He is playing in front of a keeper who is great shot stopper but doesn't come off his line, behind a none existent defensive midfield and two wing backs who spend most of the game in the opposition's half.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2015, 05:29:18 pm »
Yeah, you've completely destroyed it there. James Tomkins must be up there among the best then as Who Scored told me.

I remember a certain respected (former) poster on here said Tomkins would be a good buy for us.  :)
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2015, 05:31:41 pm »

No, that was a different statistical measurement - CIES.

Who says we have the best "box-to-box" mid?  ??? Our midfield is poor. That's nothing to do with talents like Sakho, Coutinho, Sterling, etc. Skrtel is a good, reliable CB in a functioning system.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2015, 05:34:00 pm »
I remember a certain respected (former) poster on here said Tomkins would be a good buy for us.  :)

He's bound to be right if he's a respected rawk poster.

Rafa.

Offline Red Sea

• ...has (de)parted.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2015, 05:37:48 pm »
How is Skrtel afforded an incredible amount of protection ?

He is playing in front of a keeper who is great shot stopper but doesn't come off his line, behind a none existent defensive midfield and two wing backs who spend most of the game in the opposition's half.
Playing behind 2 much better players, with 2 wing backs and hackers like lucas and allen.
There appears to be the idea, that only liverpool afford their defenders poor protection. Aside from chelsea/soton it is widespread. Arsenal went 2/3 of the season without a competent dm while battling swathes of injuries, ditto united. despite this koscielny is much the better defender. Look at mangala and kompany, derided on here yet have a non-existent midfield ahead of them. Its eems excuses are given to our players but not to others when it comes to comparisons. That means the liverpool player always wins, even when the inferiority is stark.

Offline Red Sea

• ...has (de)parted.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2015, 05:39:19 pm »
No, that was a different statistical measurement - CIES.

Who says we have the best "box-to-box" mid?  ??? Our midfield is poor. That's nothing to do with talents like Sakho, Coutinho, Sterling, etc. Skrtel is a good, reliable CB in a functioning system.
Largely agree, skrtel is a gary cahill level of player, without the pace and ability on the ball. A functional player. But he is way too erratic to be an elite cb in my eyes.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2015, 05:46:05 pm »
Mr Miyagi, saying Skrtel is one oft he best Cbs in the league isn't really saying much, not saying he is Thiago Silva or anything. But we're in a generation with ever so few cbs you could call top class, in fact i could probably count them on one hand and still have a finger or two left. Kompany regarded by the best defender over the last couple years, has been abysmal over the past year or so.

Cahill has had a stop and start season,  in the last one and no one could argue ihe is top quality.

Then we've got Terry, the best of the bunch, but currently with his age only in a system that Mourinho employs.

Koscieny is the other one i rate very highly and i would have him alongside Terry as the best defender in the league. Sakho i think will reach that level or even pass it soon with a season of consistent football.

Past that you start to struggle, so the assertion that Skrtel is one of the best cbs really isn't an outlandish claim, he doesn't get half the protection some of these cbs in other teams do, and he actually has been one of the better defenders in the league if you take into consideration his last two years.

Offline dimitri

• Kopite
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2015, 05:46:29 pm »
He was, a few years ago. Wouldn't say he is at all these days. I keep hearing about all these boss player we have. Sterling - best youngster in europe, Sakho - best cb in the league, Can - new schweinsteiger, Henderson - top class box to box mid, etc. And yet we keep struggling with these players. I'm inclined to think they're nowhere near as accomplished as they're built up on here. Skrtel is a great example of that.
 That being said he was competent in a 3 so, good news.

Probably because they have been played in different positions?
As mentioned a few posts above Skrtel has been one of our best players this season.

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2015, 05:53:23 pm »
Mr Miyagi, saying Skrtel is one oft he best Cbs in the league isn't really saying much, not saying he is Thiago Silva or anything. But we're in a generation with ever so few cbs you could call top class, in fact i could probably count them on one hand and still have a finger or two left. Kompany regarded by the best defender over the last couple years, has been abysmal over the past year or so.

Cahill has had a stop and start season,  in the last one and no one could argue ihe is top quality.

Then we've got Terry, the best of the bunch, but currently with his age only in a system that Mourinho employs.

Koscieny is the other one i rate very highly and i would have him alongside Terry as the best defender in the league. Sakho i think will reach that level or even pass it soon with a season of consistent football.

Past that you start to struggle, so the assertion that Skrtel is one of the best cbs really isn't an outlandish claim, he doesn't get half the protection some of these cbs in other teams do, and he actually has been one of the better defenders in the league if you take into consideration his last two years.

The players you have named, I think Skrtel is clearly a level below them. That's why I don't think he's among the best.

Fonte for example has been really good this past couple of seasons but I don't think he's not among the best either. He's around that Skrtel level.

Rafa.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2015, 05:54:39 pm »
Playing behind 2 much better players, with 2 wing backs and hackers like lucas and allen.
There appears to be the idea, that only liverpool afford their defenders poor protection. Aside from chelsea/soton it is widespread. Arsenal went 2/3 of the season without a competent dm while battling swathes of injuries, ditto united. despite this koscielny is much the better defender. Look at mangala and kompany, derided on here yet have a non-existent midfield ahead of them. Its eems excuses are given to our players but not to others when it comes to comparisons. That means the liverpool player always wins, even when the inferiority is stark.

We largely played a 3 with Skrtel tasked with playing the dominant central role picking up the opposition's main striker, as for two much better players I presume you mean Can who whilst being young and talented was given a torrid time in plenty of games and Sakho who unfortunately didn't get onto the pitch often enough and whilst talented hasn't nailed down a starting place.

As for the rest of it, come off it Arsenal may of had injuries but they still had someone sitting and they also have an abundant supply of pacey full backs who continually cover in behind the centre backs. City ditto, they play with a DM and full backs who defend very well. United have the likes of Carrick and Blind who sit and offer protection and simply don't leave their central defenders exposed the way we do especially when we play in a two.

I don't see the problem with giving Skrtel another deal he is a solid performer and has a great injury record, if he doesn't perform then other players will play ahead of him.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2015, 06:04:24 pm »
Been excellent considering he's been without a midfield in front of him (namely a DM bar Lucas) for the last 5 years and with a manager for the last three who can't seem to coach a defence. I'd rather keep him than get another "Premier League proven" leader like Lovren or Ashley Williams.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline SuperStevieNicol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2015, 06:14:10 pm »
I genuinely can't comprehend anyone thinking Skrtel is among the best centre backs in the league. It's Arsenalesque behaviour.

If Skrtel played for another team nobody would think he was a top centre back on here. No chance.
Could not disagree more. He's a top centre back and I cannot see what makes you think otherwise. He's been a mainstay in a team that has been top 4 / 6 for the last few seasons, captain of his national team (who top their Euro qualifying group) and I think most would accept our most consistent defender. Funny how all managers he's worked under have picked him on a regular basis.
JFT97

Offline SuperStevieNicol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2015, 06:15:30 pm »
The players you have named, I think Skrtel is clearly a level below them. That's why I don't think he's among the best.

Fonte for example has been really good this past couple of seasons but I don't think he's not among the best either. He's around that Skrtel level.
If you think Skrtel is clearly a level below Cahill I give up.
JFT97

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2015, 06:21:47 pm »
If you think Skrtel is clearly a level below Cahill I give up.

Give up then. Cahill is at the bottom of those listed. He's still better than Skrtel.

Rafa.

Offline SuperStevieNicol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2015, 06:27:45 pm »
Give up then. Cahill is at the bottom of those listed. He's still better than Skrtel.
Rubbish. Cahill of Chelsea fine with Terry alongside him and Matic in front. Cahill of England, slow, positionally weak and gives the ball away. If Cahill was playing for us alongside Skrtel I know who I'd want to keep.
JFT97

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2015, 06:34:49 pm »
He has posted on his official Instagram that the Facebook page this info came from is not an official one. Whether this means the contract stuff is wrong though...

https://instagram.com/p/4E8Fl9AUHw/?taken-by=martin37skrtel
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2015, 06:35:47 pm »
Rubbish. Cahill of Chelsea fine with Terry alongside him and Matic in front. Cahill of England, slow, positionally weak and gives the ball away. If Cahill was playing for us alongside Skrtel I know who I'd want to keep.

You're obviously basing your whole opinion on one game against Slovenia because that's rubbish. He's been good for England in the main and I normally think everyone is shit in an England shirt.

Rafa.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2015, 06:40:08 pm »
Best defender at the club, I'm glad common sense has prevailed.

Offline gaztop08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2015, 06:50:34 pm »
been here some years now

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2015, 06:53:59 pm »
Best defender at the club, I'm glad common sense has prevailed.
Now that is silly. Sakho is a much superior player to Skrtel
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2015, 07:18:34 pm »
Now that is silly. Sakho is a much superior player to Skrtel

Players are only superior if they are regularly available and until Sakho can string together a run of games then much like Sturridge he is more of a luxury than a consistent reliable performer.
"Ohhh-kayyy"