Author Topic: The Oscars  (Read 25015 times)

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
Re: The Oscars
« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2015, 05:40:40 am »
Wasn't even there was he?

Probably a bit peeved he didn't get a nod for Interstellar.

Yeah.

He put in a lot work, I'll give that but it is in no way a contender and rightly so.
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2015, 09:08:07 am »
Haven't seen Birdman.

I thought the best movie of the year was The Theory of Everything, and was hoping it would win but I don't think it ever had a chance.

Just happy Boyhood didn't win picture, and I thought it wasn't even worthy of being nominated.

Theory of Everything was a glorified TV movie with poor direction and a poor script bolstered by some fantastic performances.  Boyhood is a once in a decade film making achievement.

Opinions eh?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2015, 09:08:48 am »
I hated 'Birdman' and I hate Eddie Redmayne, so meh.

Juilanne Moore and JK Simmons are class though.

Tangerines was the best foreign film but no surprise Ida won it.

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2015, 09:16:37 am »
Surprise, surprise, bar Grand Budapest nearly every award went to the films all cynically released in the last month or so.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2015, 09:48:06 am »
Boyhood reminded me of the Wonder Years. That was filmed over years as well and not much really happened.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2015, 09:57:51 am »
Glad Ida won....easily the best...in the only category that matters..this proven by the fact that Moore wins an Oscar for a lesser performance than the one she gave in Maps...she was brilliant in maps...not even nod for that though...
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline bigal

• Not Bi. Or a Gal for that matter.
  • Kopite
  • Allez les rouges
« Reply #166 on: February 23, 2015, 09:59:07 am »
Thought Birdman was clever, witty in parts but very cold and too much like a thesis of how to make a film appear to be clever. So I rather guessed it would win.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #167 on: February 23, 2015, 10:07:17 am »
Thought Birdman was clever, witty in parts but very cold and too much like a thesis of how to make a film appear to be clever. So I rather guessed it would win.

Whaaaaaaaat?

Birdman was pure class in the way it mocks mainstream cinema and itself and the background it chose to make that happen being theatre makes it even more special. If anything the last scene where Emma stones smiles in the end is all that takes to explain the tone of the film.

It wasn't trying to be clever to impress the judges, it was simply reflecting the false reflection that most mainstream films are projecting in today's cinema. Going by your logic I would say that the only thing that made Boyhood special is the fact that it was shot for 14 years when in reality you could do without it to explain the same thing.

Which I know would not do justice to what it was trying to show to the audience and the same goes with Birdman, which also happens to be explaining the current state of theatre arts in the country and in general.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 10:25:46 am by Latenight Surfer »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2015, 10:57:58 am »
Glad Ida won....easily the best...in the only category that matters..this proven by the fact that Moore wins an Oscar for a lesser performance than the one she gave in Maps...she was brilliant in maps...not even nod for that though...

Ida was very good but I preferred Tangerines, but its not really an Oscar winning film.

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2015, 11:10:37 am »
Ugh, very disappointing.  :(

Haven't seen Birdman, I'm sure it's an impressive film, but I find Hollywood's obsession with itself and the acting profession / film-making really tedious. Is that three best movie winners now in recent years that are essentially about the industry itself?

I think Boyhood will have much more longevity and be viewed as a classic for years to come. Well done to the BAFTAs at least for the recognition.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2015, 11:16:47 am »
Going to go against the grain here. I saw Boyhood yesterday and was thoroughly disappointed. It was just 3 hours of nothingness. The concept is groundbreaking but there is literally no story and no plot. It's basically a glorified documentary about a boy growing up. Nothing fascinating or engaging about the movie whatsoever. I struggled to finish it.

To me, I think it would be terrible if it won Best Picture. It's not even worthy of being nominated. Sorry, you may think it's great cinema, but I like a proper story. 
More or less what I said,to me it's more a Sunday afternoon TV Movie.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #171 on: February 23, 2015, 11:44:20 am »
Going to go against the grain here. I saw Boyhood yesterday and was thoroughly disappointed. It was just 3 hours of nothingness. The concept is groundbreaking but there is literally no story and no plot. It's basically a glorified documentary about a boy growing up. Nothing fascinating or engaging about the movie whatsoever. I struggled to finish it.

To me, I think it would be terrible if it won Best Picture. It's not even worthy of being nominated. Sorry, you may think it's great cinema, but I like a proper story.

I think the point of the movie exactly revolved around it in not having any plot mate.

Whatever was trying to be conveyed in that movie would have lost it's meaning if there was to be a plot in it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:49:31 am by Latenight Surfer »

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #172 on: February 23, 2015, 11:57:47 am »
Disappointed for Boyhood, but Birdman was probably the movie I would have been happiest for the Academy to recognise if Boyhood wasn't made. They're both excellent movies, but only one will be remembered as a great movie.

I'll say this though - Birdman is probably the best (if not necessarily the most worthy) Best Picture winner since No Country for Old Men won it in 2007. Some pretty average movies have won it in the years between 2008 and 2014. The likes of The Hurt Locker, The Artist and Argo are all decent efforts, but already within less than 10 years they have lost a lot of their lustre. I think Birdman will be remembered for a lot longer, but will always be regarded as a mistake when it was made in the same year as Boyhood.

It interesting enough a movie that the Academy can now feel nice and smug about how edgy and relevant they are, and go back to awarding nonsense like Crash for the next 5 years.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:03:08 pm by Redcap »

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #173 on: February 23, 2015, 12:09:57 pm »
I liked Birdman a lot, technically brilliant and beautifully shot.
But as films, as enjoyment and getting something out of them, both Boyhood & Whiplash did more for me.
Birdman was always going to win, the industry loves itself.
Chuffed for Keaton.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Newman96

• Look into his eyes. Pure evil.
  • Kopite
« Reply #174 on: February 23, 2015, 12:39:00 pm »

Haven't seen Birdman, I'm sure it's an impressive film, but I find Hollywood's obsession with itself and the acting profession / film-making really tedious. Is that three best movie winners now in recent years that are essentially about the industry itself?

I think Boyhood will have much more longevity and be viewed as a classic for years to come. Well done to the BAFTAs at least for the recognition.
Which do you have in mind? Birdman, The Artist and?

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: February 23, 2015, 12:41:12 pm »
Yeah, I can't imagine the academy being too eager to nominate a film that attacks the industry in the way Maps To The Stars did.  Julianne Moore's best performance of the year though.

Was Maps even eligible ?  Its only just gone on general release in the states.  I'm not sure limited (very, like one night) releases are eligible.

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #176 on: February 23, 2015, 12:43:16 pm »

Argo. Slightly more to the storyline obviously, but still fairly self-congratulating.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #177 on: February 23, 2015, 12:59:17 pm »
I'd have gone for Grand Budapest Hotel. But it was a great year for films - Birdman, Boyhood, Foxcatcher and Whiplash were all excellent. As was Turner.

Leviathan ought to have won the foreign language film, but Ida was good too. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: February 23, 2015, 01:17:28 pm »

Those are the only two. But the Academy is 2 for 2 in giving the award to nominees about the industry in recent years. It does appear to be a story that the Academy is pretty keen on. Keep your eye out for how movies like this do in the future. Perhaps the Strangers on a Train remake will get a look in.

I liked Birdman a lot. I really wish I could feel a little happier about it winning than I do.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: February 23, 2015, 05:02:31 pm »
Felt like more of a political rally this year rather than a film awards ceremony. Bit gutted for Linklater
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: February 23, 2015, 06:11:31 pm »
Felt like more of a political rally this year rather than a film awards ceremony. Bit gutted for Linklater
Linklater is such a fantastic filmmaker, he'll have plenty more opportunities. 

Boyhood would of been my pick, but I also enjoyed Birdman.

Linklater is making a 'spiritual sequel' to Dazed And Confused, can't wait for that.

Offline chilongooner

• Kopite
  • There is only one Thierry Henry
« Reply #181 on: February 23, 2015, 08:35:54 pm »

Shakespeare in Love, Chicago, yeah  Hollywood does have a clear obsession with itself.

I thought Birdman was very good. But I personally rate Grand Budapest Hotel and Boyhood as superior works of cinematic art.

No way should Birdman have won Best Cinematography over Grand Budapest, that was a huge miscarriage of justice imo.

Linklater is such a fantastic filmmaker, he'll have plenty more opportunities. 

Boyhood would of been my pick, but I also enjoyed Birdman.

Linklater is making a 'spiritual sequel' to Dazed And Confused, can't wait for that.

That is awesome.

I thought in some conceptual ways Boyhood was the spiritual sequel to Slacker.

I liked Birdman a lot, technically brilliant and beautifully shot.
But as films, as enjoyment and getting something out of them, both Boyhood & Whiplash did more for me.
Birdman was always going to win, the industry loves itself.
Chuffed for Keaton.

Ironically Keaton didn't win Best Actor though

The likes of The Hurt Locker, The Artist and Argo are all decent efforts, but already within less than 10 years they have lost a lot of their lustre.

Agree about Hurt Locker (overrated IMO) and Artist but Argo I think is a timeless movie that will always have relevancy for anyone interested in that period of history.  Maybe its because I have some Iranian friends whose families fled Iran in 1979 but Argo is still one of my favorite movies of all time along with Grand Budapest and Boyhood from this year.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 08:42:09 pm by chilongooner »

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: February 23, 2015, 08:42:11 pm »
Shakespeare in Love, Chicago, yeah  Hollywood does have a clear obsession with itself.

I forgot about Argo in recent years as well.

Offline chilongooner

• Kopite
« Reply #183 on: February 23, 2015, 08:44:51 pm »
I forgot about Argo in recent years as well.

I rate Argo a bit differently because that was always a fascinating true story to me but like I said above maybe thats because I have old friends whose families had to flee Iran in 1979 so that movie is a bit more personally relevant to me.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #184 on: February 23, 2015, 09:21:08 pm »
Keaton should have won, but not at all surprised.

Not sure about that mate. Redmayne's performance is brilliant. He has to act with his eyes as well as body language and dialogue. Portraying that amount of emotion through your eyes, and just letting the viewer enter the feelings of the character through that medium was truly extraordinary. In many parts of the movie he just conveying his emotions and feelings, and essentially talking through this eyes.

Absolutely wonderful performance, and fully deserved.
YWNA

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: February 23, 2015, 09:24:17 pm »
i thought interstellar would win best original score. very memorable soundtrack that has made its way onto tv programmes i've noticed. like the bbc did an f1 end of season review and used that soundtrack
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #186 on: February 23, 2015, 09:25:29 pm »

Argo. Crash. Others I cannot think of right now.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: February 24, 2015, 04:10:58 am »
Argo. Crash. Others I cannot think of right now.

Crash is not about the industry.. is it?

Offline chilongooner

• Kopite
« Reply #188 on: February 24, 2015, 08:04:33 pm »
Crash is not about the industry.. is it?

I thought it was about car crash sex fetishes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crash_%281996_film%29

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: February 24, 2015, 08:06:05 pm »
I thought it was about car crash sex fetishes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crash_%281996_film%29
That's the good Crash, they're on about that 'oh, so worthy' piece of shit Haggis film.

Cronenberg's film is a masterpiece.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #190 on: February 24, 2015, 11:42:30 pm »
As a film, Crash does talk to you like you're in Pre-school though. It is a film that will keep Sociology teachers in a lesson in-lieu for generations.

I despised how it plucked a theme employed from the brilliant Magnolia, nearly a decade before; I despise the guilt it tried to force upon you as a member of the human race and I despise the vastly overrated Terrence Howard; who ironically, should have had the Vaudeville Hook, hook him off of the stage when he broke into soul mode.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: February 25, 2015, 12:11:28 am »
In all fairness, Magnolia lifted wholesale from Altman's Short Cuts, both structurally and thematically, and that was released in 93 (and also starred Julianne Moore as a cheating wife).  Short Cuts is the better film in my opinion, both tower over Crash (Haggis not Cronenberg) which has to be one of the worst films to win best picture.

I detest that film.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: February 25, 2015, 12:32:08 am »
I love how any mention of Crash (Haggis, 2004) sends almost every film lover into either:

A. A diatribe about what tosh it was,
B. A reference about the Cronenberg Crash, or
C. Both of the above

It's the Voldemort of movies.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: February 25, 2015, 12:46:55 am »
I love how any mention of Crash (Haggis, 2004) sends almost every film lover into either:

A. A diatribe about what tosh it was,
B. A reference about the Cronenberg Crash, or
C. Both of the above

It's the Voldemort of movies.
Kidder is right, it's probably the most condescending film I've ever sat through.  I thought Matt Dillon and Sandra Bullock were good though.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: February 25, 2015, 04:47:42 am »
Kidder is right, it's probably the most condescending film I've ever sat through.  I thought Matt Dillon and Sandra Bullock were good though.

Oh I agree. I don't remember much of Dillon's or Bullock's performances though.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #195 on: October 21, 2015, 05:15:01 pm »
Chris Rock to host the next Oscars.

That will be interesting.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: February 28, 2016, 09:34:29 pm »
Come on Leo, bring it home!

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: February 28, 2016, 09:54:37 pm »
When's it on? Is Rock the only non-White person in the room?

The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: February 28, 2016, 10:07:29 pm »
Come on Leo, bring it home!

Eh. It's a lock. Have you seen Michael Fassbender's Steve Jobs? It's very good. Won't win, but since when were the Oscars about rewarding the best in the business?

My picks for the main categories, with what should have won in brackets

Best Picture: The Revenant (Carol - I know it wasn't nominated)
Best Director: Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu (George Miller)
Best Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio (Michael Fassbender)
Best Actress Brie Larson (Brie Larson OR Cate Blanchett)
Best Supporting Actor: Sylvester Stallone (Tom Hardy)
Best Supporting Actress: Alicia Vikander (Alicia Vikander)
Best Adapted Screenplay: The Big Short (Carol)
Best Original Screenplay: Spotlight (Ex Machina)
Best Foreign Picture: Son of Saul (Dunno, haven't seen the majority of nominees. Surprised Clouds of Sils Maria wasn't mentioned though)
Best Cinematography: The Revenant (The Revenant - although Sicario is very good, and Roger Deakins deserves a statuette at some point, surely)

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #199 on: February 28, 2016, 10:09:58 pm »
Eh. It's a lock. Have you seen Michael Fassbender's Steve Jobs? It's very good. Won't win, but since when were the Oscars about rewarding the best in the business?

My picks for the main categories, with what should have won in brackets

Best Picture: The Revenant (Carol - I know it wasn't nominated)
Best Director: Alejandro Gonzalez Innaritu (George Miller)
Best Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio (Michael Fassbender)
Best Actress Brie Larson (Brie Larson OR Cate Blanchett)
Best Supporting Actor: Sylvester Stallone (Tom Hardy)
Best Supporting Actress: Alicia Vikander (Alicia Vikander)
Best Adapted Screenplay: The Big Short (Carol)
Best Original Screenplay: Spotlight (Ex Machina)
Best Foreign Picture: Son of Saul (Dunno, haven't seen the majority of nominees. Surprised Clouds of Sils Maria wasn't mentioned though)
Best Cinematography: The Revenant (The Revenant - although Sicario is very good, and Roger Deakins deserves a statuette at some point, surely)

Nah, Di Caprio deserves it. His performance is wonderful.