Author Topic: James Pearce(Echo) on the transfer committee  (Read 151258 times)

Offline NealFrom25Yards

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: James Pearce(Echo) on the transfer committee
« Reply #200 on: December 15, 2014, 05:47:42 pm »
No Mel, what I mean is why can't the manager just say he want's a left back, give the scouts a list of options, review what the scouts tell him and let the Director know who he wants, give him a list of who he's happy to work with. The Director then tells Brendan that of the list of 5? 3 are available, and interested in a move. Brendan then tells the director his 1,2,3 in order of preference.

He does. In his own words, this is exactly how the transfer committee works - except, of course, it can work the other way with the committee bringing Rodgers players to look at, and Rodgers deciding whether or not he wishes to continue perusing them.

Again stated by Rodgers, it's a scouting system with a fancy name.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #201 on: December 15, 2014, 05:47:49 pm »
No every club does not have transfer committee all. Some clubs have DOF's to do that sort of thing. Alot of clubs just rely on top scouts.to identity players for them like Graeme Carr at Newcastle.
And we have scouts who present the players to Rodgers. So what`s the problem?

Offline LFCsupporter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: December 15, 2014, 05:47:58 pm »
This. Rodgers is doing damage control to his reputation. This story, more than any other, makes me think he will be let go in the summer.

Which is bloody nuts. A fit, decent striker would fix most of our problems.

This story also proves that Lovren was almost certainly a Rodgers signing.
Every signings was/is a Rodgers signing. Especially this summer, coming off a dazzling season.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #203 on: December 15, 2014, 05:48:28 pm »
Every single club has something like that. Do you think managers as busy as they are spend their time watching gazillion games and studying players?
Obviously not, but surely they can use scouts to help them identify players.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #204 on: December 15, 2014, 05:49:04 pm »
The transfer committee is shit and failed this summer. This is not news, why are people surprised.

And as for Rodgers not wanting Balotelli, that's all well and good; but going into the season without another striker would've been madness.

The tenure of Brendan Rodgers has been utterly unbelievable considering:

1) We sold Andy Carroll and did not buy a back up until the January Window

*** thank god, but it could have gone the other way with Sturridge being injured and Coutinho taking awhile to bed in.

2) His second window was besieged with the summer of Suarez

**** thank god, they decided to keep him (I assume after they made a deal to help him get to Barca/RM) only with Stevie's help

3) We sell Suarez and do not replace the goals he scored.

***  this smacks of the first window under Rodgers (there were calls that he was not "the guy" and he is reliving this over again)

Lets not lose perspective.  The Transfer Committee and FSG have done him no favors....  In other words, imagine our team with forwards this year...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 06:56:53 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: December 15, 2014, 05:49:05 pm »
This needs to be every 2nd post on this thread. Some seem to struggle to understand very basic points.

Agree with you mate. People need to read the points made in soxfans post further up this page.

It's not about having inside information, its about trying to use common sense here.

I'm trying not to take sides here as I'm sure the matter will play out in due course and we'll find out much more soon but something doesn't make sense to me as soxfan has pointed out.

We've just finished 2nd with scintillating football.

A huge huge success of a season. The manager commended from all corners of the football globe.

Why would the committee hamper him so bad at this critical point in our future, after the season we've just had?

If ever there was a time for a 5 man committee to be on the same page and agree on things its after a season like last.

Something about this article just isn't right to me.

There's more to this than meets the eye and I think a level of responsibility needs to be taken by all, not just the committee.

Somethings majorly wrong though, and I don't think its going to go conveniently away anytime soon.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 05:52:10 pm by Dubred »

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: December 15, 2014, 05:49:21 pm »
He does. In his own words, this is exactly how the transfer committee works - except, of course, it can work the other way with the committee bringing Rodgers players to look at, and Rodgers deciding whether or not he wishes to continue perusing them.

It's a scouting system with a fancy name.

How did we end up with Balotelli then ?

How is it that Brendan can pick a player yet he needs a majority vote ?

It's bollocks mate, and stinks of not trusting your manager.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #207 on: December 15, 2014, 05:49:43 pm »
It really is a frightening state of affairs when Rick Parry looks competent in comparison.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #208 on: December 15, 2014, 05:49:47 pm »
Like Borini?

At least you would know who was to bloody well to blame them with every signing made. What we have no is just a mess. Nobody knows how many of these signings the manager actually wanted. Nobody knows how many were forced upon him. Nobody knows with absolute certainty how many of the managers number one targets were signed.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: December 15, 2014, 05:50:07 pm »
Not necessarily the issue, agreed. In spite of that quote from me last page, I just want the whole thing to work a lot smoother and everyone to do their job properly in identifying good and appropriate signings.

They didn't release enough funds for some of the players I mentioned on the first page (again - maybe quite rightly in some cases - presumably they didn't think it was value for money), but they splash out on Lovren, Lallana and Balotelli. It's mind-boggling.

It does feel like we have a transfer fee/wages ceiling for any new players that we refuse to go above, but any players under that ceiling are fine, regardless of quality.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: December 15, 2014, 05:50:16 pm »
If anything the OP reinforces the idea that Rodgers can't identify defensive players for me. Believing Lovren is better than Sakho or Agger and Vorm better than Reina is proof to be honest. It also does nothing to address why our defence is so poor which is our biggest concern at the moment I'm afraid.

The mismanagement of players such as Lucas is also baffling.

We've been down this road before in terms of power play between owners and manager. Not gonna end prettily for Rodgers IMO.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #211 on: December 15, 2014, 05:50:40 pm »
This Transfer Committee lark has been known about for a long time now but it's taken this seasons failings for it to REALLY come under scrutiny.

The failure to sign Konoplyanka and Salah last year was pretty much blamed on Ian Ayre's negotiating skills - rather than the committee as a whole.. but the thing I found most telling was before the season started when Rodgers said that Balotelli was 'categorically not coming to LFC' and a week or two later...

Surely the owners aren't stupid enough to see that just as with the Damien Commolli-way, so too their committee is failing big time and somethings got to change. As far as I know, none of the other big clubs go about transfers in the same way, so why LFC seem to think that it'll work for us I can't quite understand.

If Rodgers is coming under flak for whats happening, but he is working with one hand tied behind his back then really he ought to do what some others like Keegan and Pulis have done and say thankyou very much, but if it's not going to be my way then bye bye. See how they react to that.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: December 15, 2014, 05:51:17 pm »
We don't know that. It's also difficult to judge each transfer on its own if the manager plans to sign two or three players who would compliment each other, and we only sign one of them.

On the latter point, you sign an entire squad to complement each other, and no manager gets every player they want. Signing a player who will not work without his 'partner', if that partners's not already at the club, would be foolish in the extreme. (and even if you get both, what if one gets injured?)

On the former, I think we have good clues. Player's we're linked with early, are clearly pursued and ultimately signed, were unanimous, or near-unanimous, committee (including the manager) choices. Players we revert to late in a window are likely lower priorities and may not be a unanimous choice. On that basis, Lallana, Lovren, Moreno and Can were all unanimous or near-unanimous targets. One wonders whether it was manager or some other member(s) of the committee who were less sure of Bony or Shaqiri, for example.

But there's an issue here with regards to Rodgers' defensive nous - and one about his man management. We can easily read into the circumstances that he wasn't convinced by Sakho pre-purchase (when Papadopoulos was first choice); but he really can't/shouldn't carry that through into ignoring his performances and not using him. We as a club can't spend £20M on the committee choice one year, then the same on the manager's a year later, casting the former aside.

But seriously, which is the better player? The committee structure - or the manager's use of players it brings in - certainly doesn't appear to be operating well, but there's a lingering suspicion that it still has a better eye for a player than he does alone.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: December 15, 2014, 05:51:24 pm »
The quotes from Rodgers which were posted earlier in the thread are concrete evidence that the manager makes the final decision on who comes in and the buck stops with him. Unless of course you think rodgers is lying to everyone and in fact is covering up the real identity of who has the last word on who is signed.

You come home to dinner and want chicken, the wife says chicken was too expensive, and puts fish in front of you.  You say "I guess it will have to do"....does that mean you wanted fish and Ok'd the purchase?  It means you need to eat and you'll make do.

The owners, BR, and the TC are all to blame.....it's a big giant shit sandwich and they all need to take a bite.

"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Offline foreverred1983

• Kopite
« Reply #214 on: December 15, 2014, 05:51:29 pm »
Loads of hot air and speculation in here without anyone actually knowing what happens at the club. They get an idea in their head and post it on a forum, then it gets reposted by someone else and within ten minutes it's the gospel truth.

The quotes from Rodgers which were posted earlier in the thread are concrete evidence that the manager makes the final decision on who comes in and the buck stops with him. Unless of course you think rodgers is lying to everyone and in fact is covering up the real identity of who has the last word on who is signed.

That committee will be no different to the process followed by most football clubs in this country, it's just other clubs don't group these people together and give them a savvy name. You have a manager who makes the final decision on who to go for, then a scout who goes to report on the identified targets, a stat man to give the manager some snapshot info on the players performance, a man to negotiate the deal and get the player at the right price and finally the money man who says if we can afford him or not. It's not rocket science but some people seem to create a sense of mystique about this group of people at the club who just happen to be involved in the transfer of a player at different stages of the process.

In a nutshell.

At the end of it all we need to be far better in recruiting players in the 8 to 18 million bracket who turn out to be successful. Until we increase our success rate with buying those players we will forever be milling around on the outskirts of fourth/battling with spurs and everton.

Doesnt matter whether we know who is bringing in the players we have now or not, what matters is that FSG should be making sure they have the best people from around the world with proven track records of bringing in players to clubs who are successful who dont break the bank. Once we have those we can work from there. Do we have the best at the moment? thats the big question for me.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 05:53:57 pm by foreverred1983 »
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: December 15, 2014, 05:52:04 pm »
"I wanted a table leg and they bought a lamp"

To be fair I would have no idea where to buy a table leg either.

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: December 15, 2014, 05:53:12 pm »
They aren't identifying the right players and they're OKing the wrong players. It's clearly a collective issue.

Rodgers is under pressure so trying to protect himself but there are quite clearly issues beyond his judgement. And they'll continue with the next manager if we fail to correct them.

I say we correct them and let Rodgers give us a season like last year.

Offline redrockydennis

• Annie Wilkes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • gonna paint me jarg wheelie bin purple
« Reply #217 on: December 15, 2014, 05:54:05 pm »
To be fair I would have no idea where to buy a table leg either.

IKEA would sort it out if you asked nicely
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #218 on: December 15, 2014, 05:54:24 pm »
Even if half of this is true I hope all those lucky enough to have a ticket on Sunday show Rodgers the support he deserves.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: December 15, 2014, 05:55:23 pm »
And we have scouts who present the players to Rodgers. So what`s the problem?

But how much of a say do those scouts have? How do we know the money men aren't interfering? If your going to have a committee you better make sure the people involved  know about football. Can you honestly tell me Ayre and Gordon know enough about football to have a influence over the transfer of a player

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: December 15, 2014, 05:55:33 pm »
This is even worse.

For another Premier League manager whose club also utilised the Graham model, part of that comes as no surprise.

"That guy was a serious nerd," he says. "And the program was ridiculous. The parameters were set from his own view of what a defender, midfielder or attacker should do. They were ludicrous and inaccurate."

Someone asked me for a link to the Comolli article

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/damien-comolli-jordan-henderson-signing-8057566

“Jordan stood out at the time, when he was 20, because of the number of chances he created in the final third. He was very good at it. When you look at chances created in the final third in open play, you are the best player finishing in the top 5-10 [in the Premier League] every year.

“So when I saw Jordan in that area, I thought he’s definitely got something. Because when I was looking at it five years back, (Thierry) Henry, (Frank) Lampard and (Cesc) Fabregas were there, so when he was there, I thought definitely he’s got something. It can’t be a coincidence

Look at how basic the decision making for Henderson was. His chances created stat compared to Henry, Lampard, and Fabregas. Apparently it can't be a coincidence! FFS those 3 players are completely different who create completely difference chances

So this Edwards guy has a model he uses to crunch numbers. Is this how basic these guys are? We're paying them millions of pounds for this.

"And the program was ridiculous. The parameters were set from his own view of what a defender, midfielder or attacker should do. They were ludicrous and inaccurate."

You look up any tackle and interception chart and it's usually players at lower clubs dominating them. The stats are not developed enough to pick out who the best players are yet because I'm sure as fuck Jedinak is not the best midfielder in the league.

What does Edwards know about the game? How does he know what players should be doing on the pitch? Who has he coached/been coached by?

You look at these quotes and you think to youself, "nah it can't be that basic". But when you see just how bad we have been in the market under FSG it completely tallies up. We're awful at buying players because we have an amateur set up with little understanding of football.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: December 15, 2014, 05:55:44 pm »

It's bollocks mate, and stinks of not trusting your manager.

Has Rodgers said he didn't want Balotelli? Who has said that Balotelli was signed without the managers approval?

Jesus wept, it's like people deliberately ignore what Brendan Rodgers said and just dive head first into the conspiracy theory. If Rodgers wasn't happy with a player signing I am sure he would tell the board. FSG are not daft, they know it would make no sense to sign a player the manager doesn't want.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #222 on: December 15, 2014, 05:56:14 pm »
With regards to the OP , signing players through the TC may well be an issue. But it doesn't explain the ridiculous decisions to let Reina and Agger go in my opinion.  The fact they both fell out with the manager and replaced with what appears players of less quality has cost us, and he has to take responsibility for that.

In all seriousness we have been doing this penny pinching on transfers for years, Aguero, Simao, Alves, Jovetic, Kaladze and Silva ring any bells? Its nothing new really is it.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #223 on: December 15, 2014, 05:56:22 pm »
Exactly. It feels like it's Rodgers who wants to save his name here + bring attention to the TC and get it removed, etc!?

Speculative, but appropriate question.   

I do not want a Liverpool manager who does not want to fight for himself, the supporters and his job.  No mealy minded nannies apply.

As far as bringing attention to the transfer committee, I am all for this.  If we are going to evaluate Rodgers based on results, we damn sure should know what he thinks of the players coming in, and he should be able to buy the groceries if he is cooking the meal (within reason of course)....

Lastly, what is the worst case scenario if the transfer committee is outed?  More accountability is better than hiding behind a process.  Maybe some issues become less viable with more sunshine, but goddamn it I want Liverpool football to better than the business world.

I want it to serve the supporters in ways that other clubs do not... 
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #224 on: December 15, 2014, 05:58:27 pm »
But how much of a say do those scouts have? How do we know the money men aren't interfering?
I know because I use common sense. With all the leverage Rodgers had in the summer after the best league season we witnessed in many a year and after signing the new contract there is no way he`d let anybody force players onto him. One`d have to be truly gullible to believe in that.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #225 on: December 15, 2014, 05:58:30 pm »
So every bad signing is the committe's fault and every good signing is thanks to Rodgers. Load of shite.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: December 15, 2014, 05:58:31 pm »
Exactly. It feels like it's Rodgers who wants to save his name here + bring attention to the TC and get it removed, etc!?

Save his name? He wants to save his job.

Make no mistake, this is sadly just the start of things. Other people have their own jobs to try and save.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: December 15, 2014, 05:58:32 pm »
It doesn't make the idea of a committee bad, it makes our execution of the idea bad. No guarantee that one man with ultimate power is a better alternative.

If your going to have transfer committee every single one of them has to be football men who know a thing or to about signing footballers for it to have a chance of working Imo.

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: December 15, 2014, 05:58:45 pm »
I think that this Transfer committee vs Rodgers lark is extremely misleading.   Rodgers is on the committee and ultimately the committee success will be based on how well the club does.  For me the problem is not Rodgers or the Transfer committee it is the parameters they have to work to and the ability of the people above them to get the deals done.   How many times have we identified players as top targets only to end with the 3rd or 4th choice ones?  Ballotelli was bought because his agent was known to us and so it was an easy deal (less work for Ayre?).  We seem to not be willing or able to seal the deal for the top players either by not offering enough or by trying to lowball.  This for me is not a problem with the transfer committee or Rodgers it is with FSG and Ayre

Just to add:

FSG have shown all along how they love a bit of briefing to keep themselves isolated from criticism, this Rogers vs transfer committee leaves them able to get rid of one or both and come out without too much mud sticking to them
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 06:02:30 pm by Cadno »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: December 15, 2014, 06:00:16 pm »
I know because I use common sense. With all the leverage Rodgers had in the summer after the best league season we witnessed in many a year and after signing the new contract there is no way he`d let anybody force players onto him. One`d have to be truly gullible to believe in that.

You really think he wanted Balotelli?

No-one can convince me Rodgers turns down a similar player to Remy in favour of Balotelli.

Offline NealFrom25Yards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: December 15, 2014, 06:00:46 pm »

“I will always be the first person it comes to. That’s not being arrogant, that’s how we operate here and how it works in this country.

“Abroad it works differently where you have a coach and the club will bring in the players. The coach then works with the players he’s given.

"It’s very clear that anyone we sign will be because I want him here.”

“A lot has been made of it but the fact is the process that happens here is no different to what happens at other English clubs.

“We have a number of people, scouting staff and analysts, who will look for targets who fit the profile of the players that we want.

“Then I will sit down with those guys, look at those targets and make a shortlist from that.

“All that work that goes on is of great help to me. We identify players, gather all the information we possibly can and then if they’re right for what we need it comes down to whether they are affordable"

------------------------------------------------

I didn't want to misrepresent anybody by answering like I knew anything- but those are direct quotes from the manager.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 06:05:11 pm by NealFrom25Yards »

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: December 15, 2014, 06:01:00 pm »
If it's a new manager,i can see a DoF being installed to fix this major player recruitment clusterfuck of the last 3-4 years and improve the scouting network tenfold.

Shocking how much money has been wasted since FSG came here with the stupid sabermetrics moneyball philosophy,it doesn't work in football like it does in baseball which is based on statistics that are easier to see with hitting pitching fielding onbase WHIP etc etc  percentages.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: December 15, 2014, 06:02:16 pm »
Has Rodgers said he didn't want Balotelli? Who has said that Balotelli was signed without the managers approval?

Jesus wept, it's like people deliberately ignore what Brendan Rodgers said and just dive head first into the conspiracy theory. If Rodgers wasn't happy with a player signing I am sure he would tell the board. FSG are not daft, they know it would make no sense to sign a player the manager doesn't want.

Well, I'll go as far as to say that if Brendan identified Mario as the player he wanted to take us forward, and build on what we achieved last season then he needs sacking.

If you believe that Rodgers set his cap at Mario then there's no hope.

He may have agreed to take him as opposed to no one, but nobody on this forum could convince me we actively went after him as a genuine option.

He was the ugly bird at ten to two.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: December 15, 2014, 06:02:51 pm »
You come home to dinner and want chicken, the wife says chicken was too expensive, and puts fish in front of you.  You say "I guess it will have to do"....does that mean you wanted fish and Ok'd the purchase?  It means you need to eat and you'll make do.

The owners, BR, and the TC are all to blame.....it's a big giant shit sandwich and they all need to take a bite.

Did I tell my wife before hand that I wanted chicken? I assume I did, and if my wife had then said we don't have any as its too expensive then I would look to choose an alternative rather than have somebody else decide what I wanted.

Rodgers has done nothing but praise the transfer system at the club, and as long as communication between them is clear and open then there won't be a problem. Not having the money to spend on your dream signing is a lot different to having some player bought for you without your blessing.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #234 on: December 15, 2014, 06:03:03 pm »
No Mel, what I mean is why can't the manager just say he want's a left back, give the scouts a list of options, review what the scouts tell him and let the Director know who he wants, give him a list of who he's happy to work with. The Director then tells Brendan that of the list of 5? 3 are available, and interested in a move. Brendan then tells the director his 1,2,3 in order of preference.

No ambiguity, no hiding behind committee's, no mysterious 'veto's', nothing. The manager picks his own players from start to finish.
He may not get his primary target, it rarely happens for one reason or another unless you're Chelsea/MNadrid/Barca etc. But if he has final say from start to finish there's no pissing about like we have now.

How do you know it doesn't already work that way?

In fact I'll say it does.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: December 15, 2014, 06:04:04 pm »

------------------------------------------------

I didn't want to misrepresent anybody with by answering like I knew anything- but those are direct quotes from the manager.

Categorically. Mario. Here. Be. Won't.

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: December 15, 2014, 06:04:23 pm »
How are players even identified? Could someone let me know if we're still using stats to pick players or not cos then it's clear to see where the problem is. Football is as much about the intangibles as stats. It's based on talent and application, not friggin chance creation stats. Some world class players have good stats some don't.

Fuck sake FSG.

Amateur stuff.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: December 15, 2014, 06:04:29 pm »
So every bad signing is the committe's fault and every good signing is thanks to Rodgers. Load of shite.

Yup, its a collective effort in identifying the targets and collective effort it appears over which ones we ultimately get. Shared responsibility, no one person is responsible, they all take responsibility.

Pool of players scouted ---> Players evaluated / who to go for -----> Deals negotiated / within financial parameters ------> Agree to deal / move on

No one person is responsible for that whole process.

It seems like 'the blame game' has begun and people are trying to strengthen their position in terms of keeping their jobs for mistakes made. Which all seems a bit petty, really they should all sit down and take responsibility and get a plan of attack together on how to improve the overall process ready for next summer.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #238 on: December 15, 2014, 06:04:42 pm »
Or shove Ayre's Harley up his arse, sack the rest of the transfer committee and bring in somebody competent to lead the club's direction like nicola cortese

This is a quality shout Wench and one I agree with wholeheartedly. Not to sound like I'm being all like "I said it first", but when Southampton sacked him, I did make a few posts about him. He got the respect from all the staff at Southampton (Or so I've read), Pochetino and him worked together well and he kept out of affairs that didn't involve him.

Continually on 11,420.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #239 on: December 15, 2014, 06:05:00 pm »
Am fucked off with everyone right now. Looks like they are all turning on each other and trying to score points rather then fix the fucking problem
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.