Author Topic: Premier League games to be played on Friday nights from 2016-17  (Read 15169 times)

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Premier League games to be played on Friday nights from 2016-17
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2014, 10:17:37 pm »
I hope we get a match on the moon soon.

Mignolet might get it over the half-way line!

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2014, 10:35:37 pm »
The problem is the fixture list comes out late June.

Every kickoff is 3pm Saturday.

So go ahead and plan your train or plane around a Saturday, then only to have the match moved to Friday, Sunday, or Monday.
Pain in the ass.

Especially after the New Years as due to Cup matches taking preference, you never know if the League fixture is on or not. And you've planned 6-8 months in advance to get the best hotel and flight deals.

But yeah, no worries over 10 Friday nights now... :wave
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline RedRich84

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • SOS 7033
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2014, 10:55:38 pm »
If it is replacing Monday it is a brilliant idea.  Fucking Monday nights are a pain in the arse.  At least this is a Friday night, end of the week and good way to start the weekend.

They do it in the Championship now and it seems to work well.

Hardly ever watch Monday night games as footied out from the weekend. The thought of getting together with mates to watch a game on a Friday is quality. Not sure what the issue is, from a match going perspective how is this any different to a Monday?

Online TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2014, 11:02:30 pm »
Fuck me, we do like a good moan around here don't we?

It's 10 games over the course of 9 months FFS! Stop whinging.

But it's yet another day away from Saturday 3pm KO.  I'd rather have Fri night than Mon night, but then I'd rather have Sat 3pm over anything.  It's good for the armchairs, not for the match goers.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2014, 11:18:28 pm »
Fuck me, we do like a good moan around here don't we?

It's 10 games over the course of 9 months FFS! Stop whinging.

Football should be on a saturday at 3pm, with one game on a Sunday. It's only ten games. But how much are these 10 games going to cost the broadcasters, and where is the money going to? The money for these packages will be more than the prevoius packages. The money paid will only go to the fat c*nt owners, or the whinging celebrity I'm better than you footballers. This isn't about fans. This is about more fucking money. And how are the TV comapnies going to pay for the increased packages? By raising the prices they charge the fans. Don't get me wrong, I love watching the match, but this is just yet another money making fucking gimmick that us, the fans, will see fuck all benefit from. How much is it to watch every live TV game these days? £15 a month for BT, then cheapest Sky Sports package £46 a month with Line rental and Broadband on top of that? Over 9 months thats £549. This deal is starting in 2 years. I can guarantee the price to watch all live premier league games will be in excess of £600. Match going fans are getting fleeced, people who can't make the match are getting fleeced. Where the fuck is it going to stop?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2014, 11:58:53 pm »
Where the fuck is it going to stop?

The answer is obvious. Until demand drops, prices will continue to rise.

Don't get pay TV, it's a diabolical waste of time and money. Subscribe to LFC.tv for 40 quid a year and bugger the rest.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2014, 12:18:49 am »
Also I bet most the people saying "oh it's a good idea" are those who want something to do at home between hollyoaks and goggle fucking box

Try taking 2 or 3 of your 20 days holiday per year to go to the games, so greedy corporate twats can line their pockets

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2014, 12:32:39 am »
It started out with the money following the game, now the game is following the money.

This next step is the admin bods changing the flow of that money.  The likes of Ian Ayre et al will be on more than any footballer in the future. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2014, 12:35:06 am »
Mignolet might get it over the half-way line!

I doubt it, he needs far less Gravity.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2014, 12:39:20 am »
This next step is the admin bods changing the flow of that money.  The likes of Ian Ayre et al will be on more than any footballer in the future.
I hate to make the slippery slope fallacy but by Jesus we're on one. We're not looking far off having games at ridiculous times to accommodate global television audiences.
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2014, 12:41:27 am »
We should all play an extra game at the end of the season, maybe hold it in a foreign country. Imagine the revenue!

Online GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2014, 01:08:45 am »
I hate to make the slippery slope fallacy but by Jesus we're on one. We're not looking far off having games at ridiculous times to accommodate global television audiences.

Nah, 8pm is just fine... but if you could switch to 10pm in your summer that would be just spiffy, cheers!

Online GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2014, 01:09:38 am »
Also I bet most the people saying "oh it's a good idea" are those who want something to do at home between hollyoaks and goggle fucking box

Try taking 2 or 3 of your 20 days holiday per year to go to the games, so greedy corporate twats can line their pockets

You must be stoked we're out of the Champions League, then.

What about people who work weekends? Do they not deserve football?

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2014, 01:17:13 am »
My opinion is that TV money should go some way to making football matches more affordable to go to. Instead of on wages or in directors pockets.

As they are now, they are simply too expensive for a fella like me to go to. In fact, I'm not sure I could ever justify going regularly at the current prices, even if I get a decent paying job.

It's why rather selfishly, Friday night games sound good to me.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2014, 07:49:23 am »

So go ahead and plan your train or plane around a Saturday, then only to have the match moved to Friday, Sunday, or Monday.
Pain in the ass.

Especially after the New Years as due to Cup matches taking preference, you never know if the League fixture is on or not. And you've planned 6-8 months in advance to get the best hotel and flight deals.

Exactly

Pissed off with this .

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2014, 08:35:18 am »
Can't say I'm shocked.

Personally, at least it'll mean the day after that is inevitably ruined by us having a 300-mile round trip for the first Friday night is not a work day.

Feeling like shit in work on a Tuesday is grim.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline Antics

• Roadshow
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is what you'll get when you mess with us.
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2014, 08:36:21 am »

Pain in the ass.

God damn Premier League, not accounting for the needs of the international travelling football supporter.

AMF.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2014, 09:36:52 am »

Piss off, why would it take more holiday than a Monday game?  It's 10 games a season.  That means maybe 1 extra game on a Friday.  Would it make much difference to you if we played 1 extra game on a Monday instead?

Offline Trev20

• Wool
  • Legacy Fan
  • I am not!
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2014, 10:32:31 am »
What a load of bollocks.

Another day off work for the loyal fans who follow their team around the world, just so chairmen can have an extra speedboat.

Football is shit
100% agreed mate.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2014, 12:22:22 pm »
As 4pool says it'll now be a situation where you have to plan for games to be played on a Friday as well as Sat, Sun and Monday too. If the tv companies could give consideration to the fans and choose their scheduled games earlier and publicise them more it'd be a big help - maybe even subsidise away travel (or tickets) for fans going to games not played on a Saturday or Sunday that will be on tv - but don't hold your breath on that...

Good luck with hotels, travel etc for those that require them - watch as the train & coach and hotel companies up their prices accordingly to games being played on these dates now too.

Soton vs Liverpool on a Friday night - AND IT'S LIVE!!! (in a Martin Tyler patronising voice just in case you're going to forget that there is a game on during the advert break (for those of us that get fleeced for watching our football on tv as opposed to being fleeced by going the game).

And then be criticsied by some millionaire ex-footballer turned pundit for not supporting your team... It's been posted elsewhere on here, but no apologies for the re-post...

http://www.thedaisycutter.co.uk/2014/11/how-supporters-became-the-new-villains-of-modern-football/
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2014, 12:32:02 pm »
This is nothing new - back in the 80s we had Friday night televised games - and they were free to watch on terrestrial tv  :P
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2014, 12:43:58 pm »
It's 100 times better than playing on a monday night

This. Monday night football is shite.

Offline RedRich84

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • SOS 7033
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2014, 12:45:10 pm »

Come on mate, that's out of order, what about Corrie?

But I disagree with the sentiment. Seems to be a fair divide of opinion on here & as another post has said, why is this so different to a Monday night. If anything you can go the game safe in the knowledge you can go out and get pissed afterwards with Saturday as the lie-in.

Understand the concerns re money, screwing the fans etc but providing this doesn't affect too many games then I think it's OK. Oh, and I do go the game & don't watch Hollyoaks (only Gogglebox, sometimes).   :-X

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2014, 12:56:44 pm »
When the football was only on on Saturdays I looked forward all week to Saturday.
Now that only isn't on on Friday, Friday is the day I look forward to. I need rest!!!

Next they'll set up an early morning league, a night league, a 24 hour rolling league.

I'm looking forward to the every-gameday-different-league, where rules are assigned by lottery on the day of the games in question, ranging from numbers of players a-side, to sizes of pitch and goals, permissible foul-types, rush goalies or not, two goalies or not, no goalies even!
There are endless possibilities.
 :o
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2014, 01:43:37 pm »
Piss off, why would it take more holiday than a Monday game?  It's 10 games a season.  That means maybe 1 extra game on a Friday.  Would it make much difference to you if we played 1 extra game on a Monday instead?

Friday instead of Monday, fair enough.

But we all know in the long run this becomes Friday as well as Monday.

also

You must be stoked we're out of the Champions League, then.

What about people who work weekends? Do they not deserve football?

Yes but most who work weekends are shift workers who can change. And the CL comment is a fucking joke mate, I was at all our homes and wish there were more.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2014, 02:04:27 pm »
Friday night football sounds good...most night games you have to think about how it will bother next day. Not so with Frdays.

Offline jDJ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2014, 02:19:37 pm »
Friday night games are pretty good for the home fans who can just come along after work and then go for a night out on the beers after but a massive pain for the away support usually.  It's probably better than a Monday night game or any other weekday but I suspect these games will be in addition to Monday nights and will just be games which would be otherwise played on a Saturday or Sunday.

It shouldn't be the priority and I doubt it's a reason they're going to be introduced but I guarantee the atmosphere at these games will be miles better than the early kick offs on Saturdays and Sundays.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2014, 02:39:41 pm »
God damn Premier League, not accounting for the needs of the international travelling football supporter.

AMF.

Nice one.

What about the locals who have to plan trips, take Fridays or Mondays off work because the tv companies move our match to those days. Having to book away travel to Newcastle or Southampton or even London for a weekday night match with little in the way of any trains that late at night to get back.

Then there are those who've book Easyjet, or the like, on the cheap for the Saturday match to save money and then tv move the match.

I'm not talking the first half of the season at TV usually gets their hands on the fixture list through November. But December on you don't know until a month or less beforehand.

For me I just plan on being there the whole time. For instance I plan on going to Arsenal away in April scheduled right now for a Saturday. But being a bit savvy to this whole change the match routine, i've booked in London from Saturday until Tuesday morning. So they can move the match to Sunday or Monday and it's no worries for me personally.

But there are those who book for the Saturday match and fly back Sunday as they have to go to work Monday. Only for tv to change the match to Sunday. They can't make it anymore, are out for their ticket, and are screwed after paying the advance.

With the Champions League or Europa League you know the match dates well in advance. You can plan accordingly.

But League Fixtures...who cares about supporters in England having to plan to get there or get back when there are little train options for them or if they have to spend extra to stay over night. The cost of going to the match is more than the match ticket price for away matches.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline skooma

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our change into rain is no change at all.
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2014, 05:37:42 pm »
This is ridiculous. What do they mean to accomplish by this? Their main demographic, young men, are all out at the bar then. In America this time slot is a known dead zone and networks generally put shows there when they want to ditch the show.

It's terrible for broadcasters and stadiums, so what are they thinking?

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2014, 06:15:24 pm »
Might also be not so great for the police who are not only stretched having to deal with regular Friday night piss ups but also manage 40/50k thousand fans.  Still they can turn the extra cost onto the clubs who will turn the cost onto the match going fans.

Don't worry le jake, it won't effect the majority of people posting here, they don't go the games.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2014, 06:38:45 pm »
Next it will be "friday night soccer" with the 10 games played in the USA.

Scudamore would like that.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Antics

• Roadshow
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is what you'll get when you mess with us.
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2014, 11:05:24 am »
Nice one.

What about the locals who have to plan trips, take Fridays or Mondays off work because the tv companies move our match to those days. Having to book away travel to Newcastle or Southampton or even London for a weekday night match with little in the way of any trains that late at night to get back.

Then there are those who've book Easyjet, or the like, on the cheap for the Saturday match to save money and then tv move the match.

I'm not talking the first half of the season at TV usually gets their hands on the fixture list through November. But December on you don't know until a month or less beforehand.

For me I just plan on being there the whole time. For instance I plan on going to Arsenal away in April scheduled right now for a Saturday. But being a bit savvy to this whole change the match routine, i've booked in London from Saturday until Tuesday morning. So they can move the match to Sunday or Monday and it's no worries for me personally.

But there are those who book for the Saturday match and fly back Sunday as they have to go to work Monday. Only for tv to change the match to Sunday. They can't make it anymore, are out for their ticket, and are screwed after paying the advance.

With the Champions League or Europa League you know the match dates well in advance. You can plan accordingly.

But League Fixtures...who cares about supporters in England having to plan to get there or get back when there are little train options for them or if they have to spend extra to stay over night. The cost of going to the match is more than the match ticket price for away matches.

It would only be sensible if it paired nearby teams. Aside from that it's brilliant.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2014, 11:29:08 am »
Don't worry le jake, it won't effect the majority of people posting here, they don't go the games.

;D I did like the critique of "You'll be glad we're out of the CL then" from the guy from Australia, 8pm Friday is 7am Saturday I believe.

Online GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2014, 09:15:18 pm »
;D I did like the critique of "You'll be glad we're out of the CL then" from the guy from Australia, 8pm Friday is 7am Saturday I believe.

You clearly missed the point. You complained about having to use annual leave to watch a Friday away game, when you presumably have to use 2 days' annual leave for every European away tie. So if your annual leave is so precious, eliminating all those pesky mid-week games must be a bonus.

Don't take it so personally, I'm just playing devil's advocate here. Personally I much prefer Saturday fixtures and hate Monday night football, even though it happens during my waking hours. From a selfish perspective, Friday night works very well for me. And let's face it, we're all taking the selfish perspective on this one. Locals want Saturdays at 3pm, Americans and Australians want night games, Asians want lunchtime kick-offs. There are a lot of competing needs to be satisfied, and every solution is going to be unacceptable to someone.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2014, 09:21:35 pm »
You clearly missed the point. You complained about having to use annual leave to watch a Friday away game, when you presumably have to use 2 days' annual leave for every European away tie. So if your annual leave is so precious, eliminating all those pesky mid-week games must be a bonus.

Don't take it so personally, I'm just playing devil's advocate here. Personally I much prefer Saturday fixtures and hate Monday night football, even though it happens during my waking hours. From a selfish perspective, Friday night works very well for me. And let's face it, we're all taking the selfish perspective on this one. Locals want Saturdays at 3pm, Americans and Australians want night games, Asians want lunchtime kick-offs. There are a lot of competing needs to be satisfied, and every solution is going to be unacceptable to someone.

Yeah I'll give you that, it came off like a snide comment though, fair play on coming back to me.

And I can see why selfishly it does work for you, and that's gravy, but don't you think it's wrong to fuck over the home of the game to satisfy countries who happen to throw a few dollars and yen?

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2014, 09:33:58 pm »
It's ok I suppose for those folk who have nothing else in life other than football. But if you have other interests or family/people you care about that really don't want to spend 7 days a week having football imposed on them then this is a bit of a shitter.

Online GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2014, 11:32:33 pm »
Yeah I'll give you that, it came off like a snide comment though, fair play on coming back to me.

And I can see why selfishly it does work for you, and that's gravy, but don't you think it's wrong to fuck over the home of the game to satisfy countries who happen to throw a few dollars and yen?

I dunno, I guess I can see both sides of the argument having lived in Europe and Australia. When I was in Paris I wanted every game to be on a Saturday afternoon as it allowed me to spend a boozy afternoon at Liverpool FC's local HQ, or even fly over to JLA from time-to-time and be back home Sunday evening. I'm sure that's much the same story for the travelling Kopite. But trying to maintain my addiction back here in Australia is an absolute shitter - for the first few years I simply didn't sleep on Saturday or Sunday night (so Saturday was again the preference), and since moving in with my girlfrined (now wife) I go to bed but sleep terribly - just last night I had about 5 dreams where I rolled over to check the score on my tablet, with results ranging from 1-0 United to 1-5 Liverpool (nothing as awful as a 3-0... fuck reality!), and I was in that weird state of mind where you're not sure whether you're dreaming or that really was the result. Hard to explain, but others in this fuck of a timezone can probably relate.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this - blame the lack of sleep! - but I guess LFC is a global entity (and it must be so, else anyone complaining about a lack of financial backing is a major hypocrite) and we all have to give and take a little, while respecting the club's roots. A couple of Friday night games per year doesn't seem to me like a huge sacrifice for the local fan to make, given the immense privilege of being able to watch our team in the flesh.

Offline Smudgester

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2014, 08:18:59 am »
What I find funny is people saying it will no different to Mondays ... they have also never tried driving anywhere on a Friday night

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2014, 11:20:55 am »
Good idea in my opinion, many other countries do it already and gates at Friday night Championship games haven't been overly affected.

1. Monday night football already exists, for the average match going fan, Friday night football makes more sense (not having work the next day).
2. It means extra games are televised. As a football lover, the more matches on TV the better.
3. It will give teams more rest for European games. Instead of playing (worst case scenario) Sunday-Wednesday-Saturday, teams may now be able to play (best case) Friday-Wednesday-Monday
4. What else is there to watch on a Friday night?!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Old No7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2014, 11:28:27 am »
But it's yet another day away from Saturday 3pm KO.  I'd rather have Fri night than Mon night, but then I'd rather have Sat 3pm over anything.  It's good for the armchairs, not for the match goers.

Football stopped being about the match goers some time ago.