Author Topic: Gerrard - quoted as 'Gerrard open to move from Liverpool'  (Read 144659 times)

Offline Red Sea

• ...has (de)parted.
  • Legacy Fan
  • BR is the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.
Re: Gerrard - quoted as 'Gerrard open to move from Liverpool'
« Reply #240 on: October 31, 2014, 06:25:06 pm »
and you going to hold that against him?
its a curse, every time it happens we regress! or maybe I'm just being too superstitous

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #241 on: October 31, 2014, 06:26:37 pm »
Let's start with who is asking the questions. Bascombe's a man who has built an entire career reporting exactly what Struan Marshall and SFX want in the public domain. The fella who ghost wrote Carra's book and has previous for pushing Marshall and SFX's agenda.

Pretty sure he also hides a third eye in his forehead.

Secondly we started last season without Suarez and made a great start.

The defeatist bit is saying that he knew it would be like this which is bollocks. How did he know Sturridge would get injured or that Balotelli or Lambert wouldn't start the season well.

As Captain of Liverpool Football Club he should be backing the likes of Balotelli and Mignolet who have been torn apart by Carragher not saying that he has a right to give his opinion.

If nothing else, not having arguably the best player in the world for last season was bound to give us some trouble. He didn't claim Sturridge would get injured - although it's fairly obvious that Sturridge isn't lasting a whole season - so what are you really talking about? Was Lambert ever going to replicate Suarez's form?

Your entire argument is predicated on the positive start Southampton have had which hides behind the widely known reality that everyone and their mum knows that's not where they're going to remain. If Southampton themselves could replicate their form through planning, they wouldn't have been in the shitter they were a few years ago. They'd be winning the league every season.

And since you don't care to read; I'll repeat: he did defend Balotelli. But when you're creating stories out of thin air then it doesn't matter what he does, it won't convince you.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:28:39 pm by Halcyon Lissome »
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: October 31, 2014, 06:28:10 pm »
FSG made it clear that they are after something completely different, that's why they signed Rodgers, and Gerrard stated the obvious in this interview... it's NOT about signing star players.

But then FSG should bite the bullet and get rid of the last remaining star player in order to make way to what they were initially after with Rodgers. Suarez is gone, Gerrard mentioned in this interview how Rodgers built it around him last season, with Gerrard fitting in nicely but overall Rodgers is after something completely different and that's nothing what Gerrard is all about, especially at this stage of his career.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:33:30 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: October 31, 2014, 06:31:04 pm »
We couldn't add a Costa and a Fabregas as it would've left us with great big holes to fill and less money to do it with (including wages). Chelsea already had the pieces nearly put together but clearly missed a top striker and an additional creative force. They've only added Luis at the back I think, Matic was already there in midfield and he is key. They were pretty well set.

Offline Humperdinck

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #244 on: October 31, 2014, 06:35:36 pm »
gerrard had an awful 09/10, not just poor form but bad work ethic, no effort as captain. To suggest gerrard encouraged rumblings over rafa's future isn;t paticularly far fetched imo

09/10 his body was a complete and utter mess, especially his groin and he was taking pain killing injections all the time just to get on the pitch and try and help the team. Something that in the future he had more than one operation to fix, so ya know when you're accusing him of bad work ethic or whatever you might want to get your facts straight.

This thread is completely vindicating the mods decision to shut player threads too, a sea of disrespectful drivel from the usual suspects.

Offline GerrardRock2

• Good for upset tummies.....
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I'm muted, not sure why? Allow in-match threads
« Reply #245 on: October 31, 2014, 06:36:24 pm »
Regardless of what comes out of the Stevie situation. Having missed our opportunity in the summer, I think we need to put down some serious cash in January to right the ship. Yes it will cost more, and the talent pool won't be as big, but unfortunately, we made this bed for ourselves.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #246 on: October 31, 2014, 06:39:12 pm »
We couldn't add a Costa and a Fabregas as it would've left us with great big holes to fill and less money to do it with (including wages). Chelsea already had the pieces nearly put together but clearly missed a top striker and an additional creative force. They've only added Luis at the back I think, Matic was already there in midfield and he is key. They were pretty well set.

But here's the problem. It's ALWAYS the same with us.

We lose a star man. Replace him with duds. Build another world class player. Lose him, more duds.

How many of this summer signings will be here in 5 years? Anyone believing they'll all be here and competing for league titles is away with the fairies. Our transfer of the past 20 years show the odds of this happening are less than 1%. Minuscule odds.

I'd guess we'll probably have Moreno, Lallana, and possibly Manquillo (assuming he doesn't go back to Atletico) and Can. So we'll have plenty more ins and outs over the coming seasons. Even Moreno could out grow us, and end up back in Spain.

We certainly won't have Lambert or Balotelli. Markovic will either have not worked out, or will have bloomed into a superstar and out grown us. Same with Sterling.

Whatever happens, we'll still be sat here in five years, with more of our infamous 'potential stars', and lamenting the loss of another superstar.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #247 on: October 31, 2014, 06:39:41 pm »
Pretty sure he also hides a third eye in his forehead.

If nothing else, not having arguably the best player in the world for last season was bound to give us some trouble. He didn't claim Sturridge would get injured - although it's fairly obvious that Sturridge isn't lasting a whole season - so what are you really talking about? Was Lambert ever going to replicate Suarez's form?

Your entire argument is predicated on the positive start Southampton have had which hides behind the widely known reality that everyone and their mum knows that's not where they're going to remain. If Southampton themselves could replicate their form through planning, they wouldn't have been in the shitter they were a few years ago. They'd be winning the league every season.

And since you don't care to read; I'll repeat: he did defend Balotelli. But when you're creating stories out of thin air then it doesn't matter what he does, it won't convince you.

You are spectacularly missing the point. This isn't an off the cuff remark or a contracted interview, this is Marshall and SFX creating headlines at a crucial point in the season to apply pressure on the club and for me it fucking stinks.

This isn't a rallying call from the captain or Gerrard putting a positive spin on things. Domestically we have won three and drew one of our last four games and we have a massive week ahead so why the fuck is Gerrard airing our dirty linen in public. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline I-was-watching-it-on-Sky

• Jiggerer Pokerer. He was watching, he was watching, he was watching it on Sky. He was watching it on Sky!
  • Kopite
  • We return to our place as football Royalty.
« Reply #248 on: October 31, 2014, 06:39:53 pm »
Very interesting indeed. I still think we had a good summer transfer wise and players like Markovic will come good. But he's absolutely right if you look at the bigger picutre. It must be very hard for him to see top players leave every time we seem so close, be it 08/09 or last year. It seems we always get close, and just when we needed the extra bit quality we do the opposite and sell the biggest asset. I think he's quite frustrated about the clubs and the owners policy.

In my eyes, it would be stupid as fuck if the club didn't offer him a new contract. He will give his all every game he plays. Even if he's not the player he once was, he holds qualities not many midfielders in this league have. Hope it's a tactic to get the club to the table and offer him something.

Not stupid in the least not to offer him a new contract.

While we should all be very...very grateful for what he's done for the club and especially the loyalty he's shown, the cold hard fact of the matter is that he's not played consistently well for a couple of years now.

He gets a place because of who he is and trying to find that place for him is holding us back from developing a new team n style of play.

There are those who can't see it yet...but it's time for him to go.
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #249 on: October 31, 2014, 06:40:48 pm »
The club could follow the way the club used to be run with great success which put the club above any individual which led to this comment a few years ago.

Someone once said about my all time hero, " let them lose their legs on someone else's pitch ",  I was mad as hell but he was right !

Maybe the status of Stevie in the team and his power in the club will be dwindling as time catches up with him, and young and hungry turks want his place!

As for what he said he is entitled to his opinion as others are to call it badly timed and total bollocks.

Right and now back to the Al and Halcyon show!
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: October 31, 2014, 06:41:17 pm »
But then FSG should bite the bullet and get rid of the last remaining star player in order to make way to what they were initially after with Rodgers. Suarez is gone, Gerrard mentioned in this interview how Rodgers built it around him last season, with Gerrard fitting in nicely but overall Rodgers is after something completely different and that's nothing what Gerrard is all about, especially at this stage of his career.

Isn't that rather upto Rodgers?

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: October 31, 2014, 06:42:20 pm »
Isn't that rather upto Rodgers?

No. That's a clubs decision, big player, big marketing value, big wages, big decision..
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline BostonScouse

• grumbles more after a win - clueless muppet or diamond fella?
  • Kopite
« Reply #252 on: October 31, 2014, 06:45:19 pm »
09/10 his body was a complete and utter mess, especially his groin and he was taking pain killing injections all the time just to get on the pitch and try and help the team. Something that in the future he had more than one operation to fix, so ya know when you're accusing him of bad work ethic or whatever you might want to get your facts straight.

This thread is completely vindicating the mods decision to shut player threads too, a sea of disrespectful drivel from the usual suspects.
The thread has been fine, no need to be a drama queen and go Kim jong un about it

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #253 on: October 31, 2014, 06:46:14 pm »
You are spectacularly missing the point. This isn't an off the cuff remark or a contracted interview, this is Marshall and SFX creating headlines at a crucial point in the season to apply pressure on the club and for me it fucking stinks.

This isn't a rallying call from the captain or Gerrard putting a positive spin on things. Domestically we have won three and drew one of our last four games and we have a massive week ahead so why the fuck is Gerrard airing our dirty linen in public. 

Iys just not al, I haven't a second for Bascombe, but its media sensionalisation
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: October 31, 2014, 06:50:43 pm »
The thread has been fine, no need to be a drama queen and go Kim jong un about it

At least it gives you a platform to spit your usual bile.

"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: October 31, 2014, 06:51:41 pm »
Reading the thread title, you just knew how this would turn out and which posters would be involved.

Some very strange people who ALWAYS think the worst in Steven Gerrard. It's hard to understand.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
« Reply #256 on: October 31, 2014, 06:51:58 pm »

The club is not just a single entity. You said this interview is Gerrard shitting on the players and having a go at the manager and cited another conspiracy theory you had several years ago as proof.

As aforesaid: the only party that this interview puts pressure on is the owners. Yes, they are part of the club; but not the playing part. In many ways, I think Gerrard (the staff in general) still see the owners as Shankly did, in that they're there to write the cheques. It's saying that, "if we sold our best player, if we haven't bought ready made stars, if we aren't challenging as we should, if I'm not here next season etc" it is on the owners. We don't have owners like City and Chelsea, so we can't just do what we want.

The only mention the manager even gets is insofar as Gerrard, again, describes that our manager can't just pick any players he wants when he has a problem. So yes, of course the piece is designed to garner attraction, but it isn't because Gerrard is putting everybody under the bus a la Keane to exonerate himself as you have stated. That's just a fabrication on your behalf. Reading the interview it's pretty clear.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:54:00 pm by Halcyon Lissome »
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: October 31, 2014, 06:53:22 pm »
Reading the thread title, you just knew how this would turn out and which posters would be involved.

Some very strange people who ALWAYS think the worst in Steven Gerrard. It's hard to understand.

Yeah those lads are camped in this thread until it get's locked. :D

Offline RGF30

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
    • Insurance
« Reply #258 on: October 31, 2014, 06:53:56 pm »
In my opinion, a contract (1 or 2 years) at 100k+ a week would not make sense for the club.  I am sure he could get a longer contract at more money elsewhere, if he wanted.

Offline BostonScouse

• grumbles more after a win - clueless muppet or diamond fella?
  • Kopite
« Reply #259 on: October 31, 2014, 06:57:27 pm »
At least it gives you a platform to spit your usual bile.
Which is what exactly? That I think Gerrard was great, isn't now and ought to be replaced for the good of the team? How exactly is that "bile" other than you hold a different opinion? Why even discuss anything? Before the season it was "bile" to say we would suffer without Suarez, last season it was "bile" to say he might leave. At some point the people who cry and whine the most for those that have a different viewpoint on something simply because it may be negative to be shut down ought to have their credibility examined.

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: October 31, 2014, 06:57:33 pm »
At least with Carra gone and Gerrard approaching the end we won't have to put up with the Scouse mafia much longer.

Then again, Flanagan and Rossiter might take control for the next 15 years.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #261 on: October 31, 2014, 06:58:58 pm »
It's hard to understand.
What isn`t hard to understand is that his performances have regressed more than with other players from the last season. If he was playing in a second half of last season form nobody would raise any questions. I was in awe of his performances in that part of the season.

But now he`s playing well below that level and his defensive numbers have dropped at the alarming rate and it`s a perfectly legitimate argument on whether time is finally catching up with him and should he play as much and who can play instead.

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: October 31, 2014, 06:59:58 pm »
What isn`t hard to understand is that his performances have regressed more than with other players from the last season. If he was playing in a second half of last season form nobody would raise any questions. I was in awe of his performances in that part of the season.

But now he`s playing well below that level and his defensive numbers have dropped at the alarming rate and it`s a perfectly legitimate argument on whether time is finally catching up with him and should he play as much and who can play instead.

I hope he plays every second of every game for the rest of the season.

Rafa.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #263 on: October 31, 2014, 07:01:02 pm »
At least with Carra gone and Gerrard approaching the end we won't have to put up with the Scouse mafia much longer.

Gonna kick start this and get a 'Rossiter is dating Rodgers's daughters, friends, cousin, rumour going nice and early.

That's why he's ahead of *insert not as good, foreign player* in the pecking order. Not because of ability! Its because Rodgers is too scared to rock the boat in light of his relationship with his daughters friends cousin.

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #264 on: October 31, 2014, 07:01:08 pm »
How many of this summer signings will be here in 5 years? Anyone believing they'll all be here and competing for league titles is away with the fairies. Our transfer of the past 20 years show the odds of this happening are less than 1%. Minuscule odds.

Exactly right. Sterling might not even be here next year.

I'd guess we'll probably have Moreno, Lallana, and possibly Manquillo (assuming he doesn't go back to Atletico) and Can. So we'll have plenty more ins and outs over the coming seasons. Even Moreno could out grow us, and end up back in Spain.

I don't think Moreno will be here very long. Good attacking left backs are always in demand. Even more so if he improves his defending (which isn't bad).

Whatever happens, we'll still be sat here in five years, with more of our infamous 'potential stars', and lamenting the loss of another superstar.
Unfortunately, I think you're right. I don't expect a lot of superstars in the next few years though.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #265 on: October 31, 2014, 07:03:47 pm »
But here's the problem. It's ALWAYS the same with us.

We lose a star man. Replace him with duds. Build another world class player. Lose him, more duds.

Yeah right,
lose Keegan, Get Dalglish
Lose Owen, Get Torres
Lose Torres, get Suarez
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #266 on: October 31, 2014, 07:05:52 pm »

World cup year. Sometimes it looks like he doesn't have any legs to even try to tackle/track back.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #267 on: October 31, 2014, 07:06:30 pm »
Iys just not al, I haven't a second for Bascombe, but its media sensionalisation

I think Marshall knew exactly the reaction the interview would garner though John.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #268 on: October 31, 2014, 07:06:31 pm »

6 months ago (just 6 months) he was having a fantastic and vital time in the team, things don't go downhill that fast, too many people looking for easy excuses and blame.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #269 on: October 31, 2014, 07:09:15 pm »
player being vocal in the media to manoeuvre himself a better contract shocker
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: October 31, 2014, 07:11:38 pm »

Rossiter is plotting his power moves as we speak. Get yer monies on Inglethorpe being the next manager, that's all I'm saying.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #271 on: October 31, 2014, 07:14:11 pm »
Yeah right,
lose Keegan, Get Dalglish
Lose Owen, Get Torres
Lose Torres, get Suarez
Yeah, 40 years ago.

Also, quite a distance between Owen and Torres.

Regardless, point is being missed. What have we won with Torres or Suarez?

Exactly, nothing, we had one great season with both. What happened the following season? We didn't build on either of those great seasons.

Lacked ambition, and sold/lost players and didn't replace them.

In 09 we lost Hyypia, Arbeloa and of course, Alonso. Replaced them with Johnson, Maxi and Aquilani.

This season we lost Suarez, replaced him with a dozen hopefuls.

Liverpool Football Club will always have one star. Our trouble is surrounding him with quality, for a sustained period of time.

Offline Dakota

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: October 31, 2014, 07:14:21 pm »
gerrard had an awful 09/10, not just poor form but bad work ethic, no effort as captain. To suggest gerrard encouraged rumblings over rafa's future isn;t paticularly far fetched imo

I'd bet good money that the man in your avatar would cringe reading that. Someone's already mentioned above how cringe-worthy it is in the particular context of:

"I had a groin avulsion, which is where your groin muscle comes off the bone, and it's a career-threatening injury. At the time I'd seen three or four surgeons and they weren't really convincing me that I could play again, so I turned to him." (Dr. Steve Peters) Such lack of effort, such bad work ethic!

Unless, of course, Gerrard's friends in the media have been holding a gun to Rafa's head since he left and threatened to shoot his cat last year when he was full of praise for Gerrard in his new role.
Thinking about crowdfunding a Save The Piano Movers! charitable association.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #273 on: October 31, 2014, 07:14:42 pm »

Fuck all to do with scouse mafia bollocks and everything to do with an agent and his agency having far too many players and far too much influence at the Club going right back to the spice boys days.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: October 31, 2014, 07:14:55 pm »
All a load of crap. Move on.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #275 on: October 31, 2014, 07:15:43 pm »
We won the League Cup with Suarez.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #276 on: October 31, 2014, 07:15:58 pm »
I'd bet good money that the man in your avatar would cringe reading that. Someone's already mentioned above how cringe-worthy it is in the particular context of:

"I had a groin avulsion, which is where your groin muscle comes off the bone, and it's a career-threatening injury. At the time I'd seen three or four surgeons and they weren't really convincing me that I could play again, so I turned to him." (Dr. Steve Peters) Such lack of effort, such bad work ethic!

Unless, of course, Gerrard's friends in the media have been holding a gun to Rafa's head since he left and threatened to shoot his cat last year when he was full of praise for Gerrard in his new role.

Wrong season mate the groin was 10/11.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: October 31, 2014, 07:16:54 pm »

January 2014
A lot of people talk about the strikers but do they realise how much Steven Gerrard still brings to Liverpool, because I have seen more talk this season about whether he is the same “Gerrard of old” – as you like to say in England.

It was interesting to see him playing in the deeper regista role in the win against Stoke City, because regular readers of this column will know why I think he has the qualities to be an influence there. It is his anticipation, ability to pass long and short with incredible accuracy and also dictate the tempo. Not many players can do that.

Gerrard’s return is very important. He is one of the best players I have worked with; an analyser who can play anywhere and still cause trouble in the box. He has always played with a lot of patience and commitment but now it is easier for him because he has more experience, has worked with different managers and has different visions of how teams can play.

It will also help Liverpool to play Arsenal, Manchester City and Chelsea – the big teams who have beaten them – at home in the second half of the season, because Anfield has become a difficult place to go to again. A run of wins at home or away can create the confidence I was talking about us having in March 2009.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/exclusive--rafa-benitez-liverpool-will-qualify-for-champions-league-ahead-of-manchester-united-because-they-have-no-european-distractions-9065617.html

Offline TheFlyingScouseman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice day
« Reply #278 on: October 31, 2014, 07:18:48 pm »
A big discussion over nothing. Shut it.

Offline Humperdinck

• Kopite
« Reply #279 on: October 31, 2014, 07:19:22 pm »