Author Topic: Jamie Vardy  (Read 44262 times)

Online redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
Re: Jamie Vardy
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2015, 01:29:20 pm »
Fair play to the lad but I think it's a freak season so far. I remember a few years back he couldn't get in the Leicester team in the Championship and it appeared even that was too big a jump for him.

He has come on leaps and bounds since but this is him playing at his absolute peak level in a team which suits him down to the ground. I do think he should go to the Euro's because he offers England something completely different and against better sides I think it'll bring to best out of him. However any side going in for him now would be really foolish. His price will be through to roof and you'll get a 29 year old where the odds are saying he'll never replicate this form again with no sell-on value

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2015, 01:37:19 pm »
The lad played for FC Halifax Town 4 years ago.  The only decent player we had before him was Geoff Horsfield.  And before him Ricky Holden who scored a cracking overhead kick against Newcastle playing for Oldham.  Halifax Town are positively churning out players of quality!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/57KdNlCH33w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/57KdNlCH33w</a>

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2015, 01:46:06 pm »
Remember Amr Zaki?
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2015, 02:05:28 pm »
Remember Amr Zaki?

Zaki was not topping every category for a striker, like Vardy is.

and no I don't think we should sign him, but he's having a brilliant season. 
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2015, 02:06:45 pm »
FFS. I would rather we went after, I don't know, the hottest striker in the world whoever that is and not Vardy.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2015, 03:00:26 pm »
No disrespect to him, as he's having a great season and he was impressive last season but we need to get ourselves out of this mindset.

You'd be as well waiting a few months and getting Austin for nothing.

Isn't it crazy when you look at players like Charlie Austin who scored 18 goals in the PL, and Vardy who is on for something similar if not better, and then you look at Michael Owen who has never scored 20 league goals in a season.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2015, 03:21:22 pm »
He'll be 29 in a couple of months, he's having a decent season yes, but it's just this season, we can do better.

If he was 25 or lower, it might be more tempting but when he's nearly 29, you'd need him to pretty much producing high numbers from the off.

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2015, 03:46:42 pm »
No disrespect to him, as he's having a great season and he was impressive last season but we need to get ourselves out of this mindset.

You'd be as well waiting a few months and getting Austin for nothing.

Isn't it crazy when you look at players like Charlie Austin who scored 18 goals in the PL, and Vardy who is on for something similar if not better, and then you look at Michael Owen who has never scored 20 league goals in a season.
Owen was finished as a player by the time he was vardys age.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2015, 04:10:32 pm »

Owen (in his peak) was scoring consistently close to 20 goals whereas Vardy is just a one season wonder so far. 

I am amazed Aston Villa or another club didnt get Charlie Austin
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2015, 04:39:02 pm »
Owen (in his peak) was scoring consistently close to 20 goals whereas Vardy is just a one season wonder so far. 

I am amazed Aston Villa or another club didnt get Charlie Austin

Oh don't get me wrong - I am not comparing them, Owen was a far superior player. I just think it's mad how the levels of PL football have declined when players like Austin and perhaps Vardy can rival a season like Michael Owen's best in the PL.

Owen was up against players like Stam, Adams, Ferdinand, Campbell, Terry, Desailly, Gallas, Radebe, Southgate. Not to mention top keepers like Cech, Seaman, Given, Friedel at his peak, Schmeichel, van der Saar etc...

It just feels like players, strikers in particular, have an easier time of it IMO.

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2015, 04:51:12 pm »
Owen also played the majority of his football for a negative Houiller side.

If he was playing under Evans or Rodgers, two very attacking managers, he would have scored a lot more IMO.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2015, 08:35:48 pm »
I'd be inclined to agree with this:
He is playing at a club that's going through a bit of a purple patch and is under very little pressure. They're just enjoying their football. It's a completely different kettle of fish to playing for a club of our size and stature that is going through a tricky time at the moment.

I've always liked Vardy and as for him coming to LFC, my views are mixed. Part of me thinks he's too old and wouldn't be worth it. However I know Origi is already being compared with David N'gog and whilst I think that's unfair so early into Origi's Anfield career, if he does turn out to be another N'gog shit player then with Ings out and Sturridge always injured, he may well be worth a punt. That said, like most rawkites I think we'd be much better off spending money on somebody much younger.
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2015, 09:51:06 pm »
I'm convinced he's on performing enhancing drugs ;D

He runs non stop like a machine.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2015, 10:39:06 pm »
Owen also played the majority of his football for a negative Houiller side.

If he was playing under Evans or Rodgers, two very attacking managers, he would have scored a lot more IMO.

First off, that's a bit harsh on Houllier. Secondly he built that team around Owen and it was geared to him being the scorer. He might not have had that luxury under the others.

Although I think his best season for league goals was the one full (injury free) season he had under Evans.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2015, 10:42:02 pm »
First off, that's a bit harsh on Houllier. Secondly he built that team around Owen and it was geared to him being the scorer. He might not have had that luxury under the others.

Although I think his best season for league goals was the one full (injury free) season he had under Evans.

We were negative under Houiller.  Not harsh, just true.  Successful, but very defensive as a team.  Not criticism, it was just the brand of football we approached.

Well Owen was key to the tactics, due to his pace and we played on the counter attack.  But I think he'd have scored far more in a more attacking team personally. we'll never know though.
@LFC4LIFENET

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2015, 11:18:26 pm »
We were excellent defensively, not negative.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline barstool1984

• Exchange Ban
  • Main Stander
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2015, 09:01:03 am »
His story of moving up the leagues is wonderful, but for me if he gets a move elsewhere in the PL to a 'bigger' club - Villa, Newcastle, Everton type - then that's as good as it will get!

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2015, 10:10:11 am »
His story of moving up the leagues is wonderful, but for me if he gets a move elsewhere in the PL to a 'bigger' club - Villa, Newcastle, Everton type - then that's as good as it will get!

The best for him would be to stay. Leicester could actually build something good in the next 5 years and challenge for the Europa League places. Everton do that too to be fair, but Newcastle and Aston Villa are in a relegation scrap 2 out of 3 seasons.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2015, 10:12:32 am »
We were excellent defensively, not negative.

We were excellent defensively.  But we were not the most attacking expansive team, let's say.

@LFC4LIFENET

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2015, 11:17:54 am »
I don't think Vardy will go anywhere, think he's pretty happy where he is and grateful for the opportunity. Plus Leicester have pretty wealthy owners, I'm sure they'll give him a bigger contract sooner rather than later.

He's pretty down to earth, met him a few times and certainly doesn't strike me as someone who would go somewhere like Newcastle or West Ham just for a bigger wage. We'll see though, Leicester are pretty good at cashing in at the right moment.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2015, 11:23:52 am »
Darth Vardy.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2015, 01:38:00 pm »
Darth Vardy.

There's good in him, I'm sure of it.

{Actually, we've already seen it]
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2015, 09:11:45 pm »
Eight games in a row. This guy can't stop scoring!
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2015, 10:10:43 pm »
hats off to the lad...takes some doing that
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2015, 10:15:24 pm »
I thought today would be he end of his streak, but he goes and scores again.  Scores next game he'll be 2nd on all time list behind van Nistelrooy (on 10)

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2015, 11:54:08 pm »
Fair play to the lad. Be interesting to see if he can sustain a consistent goalscoring record throughout the season and beyond. History is littered with English strikers who have a one off wonder season before fading away into mediocrity. (See Andy Johnson, James Beattie, Rickie Lambert, Charlie Austin, Grant Holt, Alan Smith etc.)
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: November 1, 2015, 12:13:38 am »
Fair play to the lad. Be interesting to see if he can sustain a consistent goalscoring record throughout the season and beyond. History is littered with English strikers who have a one off wonder season before fading away into mediocrity. (See Andy Johnson, James Beattie, Rickie Lambert, Charlie Austin, Grant Holt, Alan Smith etc.)

Fucking hell andrew johnson, forgot about him. Had a great season with crystal palace - 20 goals in a relegated side was it? Apart from one game against us I remember him being total dogshite for everton and fulham?
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #67 on: November 1, 2015, 12:24:38 am »

To be fair Charlie Austin isn't a one off. His goal scoring record at every level has been pretty phenomenal since 2008.  His lack of movement to a PL club seems to be the product of questions about his injury history and QPR being unwilling to budge on price. If Austin would have handed in a transfer request, or QPR would have altered their parameters in the summer, it's likely he'd be playing in the PL now.

His league record since 2008/09

2008/09 - Poole - Games 34 Goals 34
2009/10 - Poole/Swindon - Games 41 Goals 33
2010/11 - Swindon/Burnley - Games 25 Goals 12
2011/12 - Burnley - Games 41 Goals 16
2012/13 - Burnley - Games 37 Goals 25
2013/14 - QPR - Games 31 Goals 17
2014/15 - QPR - Games 35 Goals 18
2015/16 - QPR - Games 9 Goals 7

I think in Vardy's case, last season showed he was an incredibly hard worker, but he went missing for stretches after a bright start. Ranieri is a far better tactician than Pearson. It's really a case of right manager, right time. They've also been aided by a pretty fortunate start with plenty of games early on against struggling sides

Online mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #68 on: November 1, 2015, 05:06:32 am »
Gotta love Ranieri !  ;D

"After so much talk of pizza at Leicester, the Foxes players were finally taken out to a pizzeria to celebrate their first clean sheet of the season.

Manager Claudio Ranieri had promised them that he would take the whole team out for pizza when they finally managed to keep the opposition scoreless, as an incentive to try and stop shipping so many goals.

Ranieri not only made good on his promise, but played waiter, and served the players their doughy goodness.

What a man."

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/r4NJ8TBQiEU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/r4NJ8TBQiEU</a>
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: November 1, 2015, 06:01:41 am »
Oh don't get me wrong - I am not comparing them, Owen was a far superior player. I just think it's mad how the levels of PL football have declined when players like Austin and perhaps Vardy can rival a season like Michael Owen's best in the PL.

Owen was up against players like Stam, Adams, Ferdinand, Campbell, Terry, Desailly, Gallas, Radebe, Southgate. Not to mention top keepers like Cech, Seaman, Given, Friedel at his peak, Schmeichel, van der Saar etc...

It just feels like players, strikers in particular, have an easier time of it IMO.

That is quite possibly true, although I think the Owen stat is just a quirk really. 18 goals twice, 19 goals twice.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: November 1, 2015, 06:24:35 am »
Lad reminds me of Bellamy. Quick, huge workrate and has that "fuck you" attitude
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: November 1, 2015, 07:17:19 am »
He's having a fantastic season so far, I'm expecting Leicester to drop off soon though.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: November 1, 2015, 08:33:48 am »
I'd still be horrified if he went to the Euros with England.
...then I remembered who our captain is.
Depressing.

Well done to Vardy, this seasons Harry Kane, just much older.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: November 1, 2015, 08:56:58 am »
I'd still be horrified if he went to the Euros with England.
...then I remembered who our captain is.
Depressing.

Well done to Vardy, this seasons Harry Kane, just much older.

In what respect? Apart from 'he's English and is scoring goals'?

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: November 1, 2015, 10:38:05 am »
In what respect? Apart from 'he's English and is scoring goals'?

In that once teams start making specific plans to stop him, and once his fans , teammates and general media expect him to score every week. He ll be getting 10 a season rather than 10 in 10 games.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: November 1, 2015, 10:55:38 am »
In that once teams start making specific plans to stop him, and once his fans , teammates and general media expect him to score every week. He ll be getting 10 a season rather than 10 in 10 games.

He's just in good form. I don't think anyone thinks he's suddenly improved tenfold as a player. Last season his play deserved more goals than he scored but he was integral to the run at the end of the season. But he's completely different to Harry Kane.

Most of his goals are running in behind, so yeah you're probably right that teams will start to defend deeper against Leicester to try and stop that. I just don't really get the snarky criticism all over the shop. He's got everything in his game to be a consistently high scoring striker, he's fast as fuck, clinical, very hard working, very good in the air. And he's always had that in his locker. When he was at Fleetwood there were Premiership clubs looking at him but he thought he'd play more for Leicester in the Championship. He had a good season there, had a fantastic end to last season and is on fire this season.

Plus with people comparing him to other 'one season wonders', a lot of those relied on penalties to swell their total.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: November 1, 2015, 11:18:32 am »

I don't think teams have discovered how to nulify Kane at all.  He's just been utilised differently.  He's having a decent season for spurs, albeit without the goals. He's still on track for double figures while creating chances for the rest of the team.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: November 1, 2015, 02:51:20 pm »
Good player hitting a huge purple patch. If Rodgers was still here we'd 100% be signing him
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: November 1, 2015, 02:54:16 pm »
He's just in good form. I don't think anyone thinks he's suddenly improved tenfold as a player. Last season his play deserved more goals than he scored but he was integral to the run at the end of the season. But he's completely different to Harry Kane.

Most of his goals are running in behind, so yeah you're probably right that teams will start to defend deeper against Leicester to try and stop that. I just don't really get the snarky criticism all over the shop. He's got everything in his game to be a consistently high scoring striker, he's fast as fuck, clinical, very hard working, very good in the air. And he's always had that in his locker. When he was at Fleetwood there were Premiership clubs looking at him but he thought he'd play more for Leicester in the Championship. He had a good season there, had a fantastic end to last season and is on fire this season.

Plus with people comparing him to other 'one season wonders', a lot of those relied on penalties to swell their total.
last year he played a lot out wide and ulloa was up top, this year he's playing centrally

Online Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: November 1, 2015, 02:55:13 pm »
Good player hitting a huge purple patch. If Rodgers was still here we'd 100% be signing him
These jabs at Rodgers are getting tiresome now. Let's not pretend that even before Rodgers we were signing mediocre players who had a good season or half( Adam, Downing, Carroll).
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.