Author Topic: Liverpool 0 - 1 Aston Villa post match winge  (Read 88111 times)

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool 0 - 1 Aston Villa post match winge
« Reply #680 on: September 13, 2014, 09:48:51 pm »
Its hard to understand why Sterling was rested. I know he needs protection but we were without so many of last seasons performers and several new players. Sterling will have plenty of opportunity to have rest in games when the new boys are up to speed and we are playing a less in form side.
I agree t.b.h. Some understood it though.

Offline seal75

• Kopite
« Reply #681 on: September 13, 2014, 09:50:20 pm »
No Sturridge, no Sterling, and the cannibal gone, we lose that fear factor in our attack. Marking Balotelli out of the game seems so easy. Lallana coming from an injury who is finding his feet, then we have a newbie in Lazar; Coutinho not influential at all in the build up - our scary attack suddenly has no bite in it.
"Ni pour, ni contre. Bien au contraire!", Coluche.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #682 on: September 13, 2014, 09:50:30 pm »
???...and that proves what exactly?anyone replacing him could do the same thing.villa were hardly pressing us allover the pitch ffs!i couldve taken the ball off lovren all day but its how its used is the main thing.look,as ive already said,hes obviously going thru some tough times here and maybe a rest would benefit him in the long term.

Proves he was desperate for the ball, and because it wasn't coming to him he went to find it.

Maybe not the keeping to the game plan set out, but at least he tried to put the problems right.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #683 on: September 13, 2014, 09:51:09 pm »
That game was screaming out for a centre half to step into midfield, someone to carry the ball forward and open up some space for others. We could have done with a Daniel Agger today.
Quite true mate. I'm not sure if would have ensured improved penetration but loads of times when Lovren or Sakho had it, I hoped they'd carry it.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #684 on: September 13, 2014, 09:51:23 pm »
Just seen the video of Rodgers post match:

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/9469323/rodgers:-we-started-too-slow

Was fair and gave plenty of credit to Villa, that talk about the budget was actually in response to a question from the interviewer on Sturridge being out and Rodgers making the point that he needs his best players available, particularly if the injury can be avoided in the first place. It's not some long winded defence of the defeat based on finances, just a one liner as part of a bigger point, still we should had enough to take care of Villa when Balotelli's his backup / partner and big money players like Lallana and Markovic coming in.

Overall he was very fair though, acknowledged Villa have given him problems at Anfield and defended his players publicly. Privately I hope he demands a lot more effort from some of the new boys.

yeah I think that comment is getting overplayed.

We fucked up. Should never lose to Villa at home. Lets get back on track ASAP. I'm sure Brendan and the lads will learn from this.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #685 on: September 13, 2014, 09:51:30 pm »
yes, exactly this. Or rest him against Ludogrets if need be. Most important thing is getting back into the Champions League and picking up league points.

I disagree, most important thing is Sterling's health, long-term. Been played to shit by the Owl, he needed a rest. An injured Sterling and you can kiss goodbye to the CL positions.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #686 on: September 13, 2014, 09:52:48 pm »
yes, exactly this. Or rest him against Ludogrets if need be. Most important thing is getting back into the Champions League and picking up league points.
was wondering if brendan was trying to make a point to the press and hodgson etc,basically,"i wont allow him to become big headed and lose the run of himself" and then drops him to bench to prove sterlings just another player who can get subbed on or off and isnt our only star.timing just seemed strange after his press conference yesterday.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #687 on: September 13, 2014, 09:53:45 pm »
Couple of times Balotelli was in shooting space and the ball never came to him. That front 3 selection was asking a lot really, especially once we went down 1 and Villa had half the job done. Clever play you need against a packed box and the lads had never played with each-other or their midfield suppliers. Wrong day to rest Sterling, though you could understand it.

I understand it as the manager making a statement, thinking we were playing a side we could afford to rest him against and Lallana and Markovic looking good in training.

The worry is that Gerrard and Henderson does not work as a two. I don't know why he'd start them there, unless Lucas was literally out on his feet. In midweek it has to be Lucas in there.

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Ste08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #688 on: September 13, 2014, 09:55:24 pm »
We should have rested Sterling midweek, today was way more important but still its no excuse.

No positives whatsoever from that. It was all abit of a mess. Defence giving up more silly goals, no flow in our play was Guzan even tested?  Set up was all wrong. Play was slow, predictable and lethargic at that tempo we are not a great team. We have an identity, we need to accept it. 2 up top, quick 100 miles per hour football theres no need to try and reinvent the wheel. Play to our strengths.

Its pointless even naming individuals no one comes out of today very well.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #689 on: September 13, 2014, 09:55:50 pm »
No, but they often stand still when they aren't on the same wave-length, and then can't find each other when they do move. I honestly think we can't underestimate how much players being unfamiliar with each other affected the performance today. We had a few really nice passages of play--like Cou's chip to Henderson, who headed it to Lallana for a blocked shot--but otherwise the players looked like they didn't know where to find each other at full speed. Brendan asked a lot of all the debutantes today and they simply didn't put it together the way they probably have in training.   
You could be right mate. I'd be hard to convince that it was all about new faces but there you go. No doubt they'll play brilliantly together in due course and everyone will say "ah fucking there you go"  ;D  but I'd rather concede that we just didn't play well today, simple as that.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #690 on: September 13, 2014, 09:56:24 pm »
I disagree, most important thing is Sterling's health, long-term. Been played to shit by the Owl, he needed a rest. An injured Sterling and you can kiss goodbye to the CL positions.

To be honest no one knows the players better than Rodgers so maybe he needed a rest to avoid injury.

To be fair to Rodgers, he was forced into so many changes. The dream scenario is playing most of last seasons team and blooding in the new players. Today he had to throw them in.

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #691 on: September 13, 2014, 09:56:42 pm »
Proves he was desperate for the ball, and because it wasn't coming to him he went to find it.

Maybe not the keeping to the game plan set out, but at least he tried to put the problems right.
sry but that shows me that hes not a team player if u use that as an example.for me the play needed to be spread wide asap and too many times couts took it inside and tried imposssible shots(hitting the post aside ),and tbf,gerrards the man u want demanding the ball off the cbs and driving forward but hindsights a wonderful thing!!!

Offline Just Dan

• cing on the precipice - it's a long way, Dan!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #692 on: September 13, 2014, 09:57:40 pm »
Aly Cissokho had a very good game.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #693 on: September 13, 2014, 09:58:04 pm »
Plus point for me today was Mario's movement. Lallana looks like a good acquisition once he's up to speed.
Lovren has been a mixed bag, letting Sanderos edge ahead of him for their goal, basic error. Others to went to to sleep to often.
Coutinho needs to look up a bit more and thread through balls, seems hell bent on dribbling and doing his own thing, which of course sometimes can pay off, but most of the time does not.

The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Lee1970

• Anny Roader
« Reply #694 on: September 13, 2014, 09:59:01 pm »
"Having seen/heard BR's comments in their true context re finances, I now regret starting the campaign to re-install Rafa Benitez as manager of Liverpool Football Club as soon as possible", said one RAWK member.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #695 on: September 13, 2014, 10:00:06 pm »
Aly Cissokho had a very good game.

He's quite a solid player.  I never thought he let us down.  He isn't good enough for a team challenging for honours and hoping to cement a top four place, but he'll do a good job for Villa, and quite a few teams in the league.  I like Aly, seems like a decent sort.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #696 on: September 13, 2014, 10:01:11 pm »
My. Missed the match.
Didn't think it would turn up like this.
Looks like villa has officially become our hoodoo team
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline BirdBrain

• Anny Roader
« Reply #697 on: September 13, 2014, 10:02:27 pm »
Even if its a small comment its wrong to pull the spending card at this stage ...Man City lost to Stoke last week..it happens; you can't just turn up and expect to win.

Anyway, I think we'll see a lot more games like this at Anfield this season.. After last season's success, teams just aren't going to turn up, have a go and be picked off on the counter by us. The bus will be parked. The main way to beat those teams is too use the width of the park intelligently to create space and we didn't do that today. It didn't help we were bedding in two of the players who should have contributed to this - Markovic & Llalana. Onward and upwards though eh, its good to get these frustrating setbacks out of the way early and kick on.

Offline Just Dan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #698 on: September 13, 2014, 10:02:56 pm »
He's quite a solid player.  I never thought he let us down.  He isn't good enough for a team challenging for honours and hoping to cement a top four place, but he'll do a good job for Villa, and quite a few teams in the league.  I like Aly, seems like a decent sort.

Quite solid defensively and occasionally useful going forward. Better for them than Bertrand thats for sure. Didn't think he was that bad for us.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #699 on: September 13, 2014, 10:03:20 pm »
sry but that shows me that hes not a team player if u use that as an example.for me the play needed to be spread wide asap and too many times couts took it inside and tried imposssible shots(hitting the post aside ),and tbf,gerrards the man u want demanding the ball off the cbs and driving forward but hindsights a wonderful thing!!!

Really ?

Tells me he's desperate to try and make things happen, and not just waiting for the ball like Balotelli, Markovic, and Lallana were.

Different perspectives eh ?
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #700 on: September 13, 2014, 10:03:46 pm »
To be honest no one knows the players better than Rodgers so maybe he needed a rest to avoid injury.

To be fair to Rodgers, he was forced into so many changes. The dream scenario is playing most of last seasons team and blooding in the new players. Today he had to throw them in.
Has been vocal about burnout, citing Owen, and critical of England. Sterling could no doubt have played the full 90, but Rodgers perhaps felt it was not worth the risk. Long season ahead on many fronts. I agree about blooding in players.

Moreno and Manquillo worry me a little with their sliding tackles. They need to learn to stay on their feet longer, particularly Moreno, who got done on a number of occasions and was responsible of the corner/free kick that led to the goal.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #701 on: September 13, 2014, 10:04:10 pm »
As disappointed I am with the result, I'm even more disappointed with what Rodgers (apparently) said post-game.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #702 on: September 13, 2014, 10:04:50 pm »
As disappointed I am with the result, I'm even more disappointed with what Rodgers (apparently) said post-game.

Which was?
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #703 on: September 13, 2014, 10:05:17 pm »

The spending?  It was such a minor point and I am absolutely amazed with the reaction on here. I didn't even think anything of it.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #704 on: September 13, 2014, 10:06:29 pm »
Even if its a small comment its wrong to pull the spending card at this stage ...Man City lost to Stoke last week..it happens; you can't just turn up and expect to win.

Anyway, I think we'll see a lot more games like this at Anfield this season.. After last season's success, teams just aren't going to turn up, have a go and be picked off on the counter by us. The bus will be parked. The main way to beat those teams is too use the width of the park intelligently to create space and we didn't do that today. It didn't help we were bedding in two of the players who should have contributed to this - Markovic & Llalana. Onward and upwards though eh, its good to get these frustrating setbacks out of the way early and kick on.
Villa didn't park the bus until they got the lead, they were way the better side in the opening 30 minutes and dominated possession. We also looked laboured, once they sat back, the onus was on us to play some crisp football in the final third, we couldn't really do that, apart from one or two moves.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #705 on: September 13, 2014, 10:06:38 pm »
All he said was that we haven't got the resources of some clubs so its important that our top players (Sturridge) stay fit.  If anything it was another dig at the lad getting injured whilst with England.

That's it. A perfectly legitimate comment.  We should still of played better regardless.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #706 on: September 13, 2014, 10:06:38 pm »
The spending?  It was such a minor point and I am absolutely amazed with the reaction on here. I didn't even think anything of it.
Shouldn't have been a point at all.

"Villa scored their goal, defended it well and we move on".

Pretty much all that needed to be said.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #707 on: September 13, 2014, 10:06:50 pm »

It's not something he should even be bringing up given the summer transfer activity we've just had, particularly when he himself called it the "best window" we've had in years or something of that nature.

Offline Roughie Scouse

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #708 on: September 13, 2014, 10:07:53 pm »
We were shite today and villa deserved it. End of. It will happen in this league. Keep the faith. YNWA
"There are places I'll remember all my life"  The Beatles,  ISTANBUL 2005

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #709 on: September 13, 2014, 10:08:27 pm »
It's not something he should even be bringing up given the summer transfer activity we've just had, particularly when he himself called it the "best window" we've had in years or something of that nature.

It was a dig at  England and how losing a key player due to mismanagement puts us on the back foot against very well resourced sides.

Its not a big deal. People are making a moutain out of a molehill.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: September 13, 2014, 10:08:57 pm »

So you don't even actually know what he said - yet you're disappointed with him.

Fucks sake.

And I maintain that there is no way Rodgers is going to rest Sterling for a CL game - the lad is dying for the experience, it's the first time in quite a few years it's come to Anfield, and you're going to tell our best player to sit it out? Steady.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #711 on: September 13, 2014, 10:10:02 pm »
What did he say? He was not given enough money? Wasn't the truth that again our major target did not fancy coming to Liverpool?

I've not seen the interview, but it's been confirmed on here that he said something along the lines of "We're competing on budgets of, you know, a third than some of the other teams that're up there."

Which, to me, is not what he should be saying after a performance like that. But I suppose he knows best, maybe he's trying to deflect attention off the fairly poor performances that almost all of our new signings had.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #712 on: September 13, 2014, 10:10:26 pm »
I understand it as the manager making a statement, thinking we were playing a side we could afford to rest him against and Lallana and Markovic looking good in training.

The worry is that Gerrard and Henderson does not work as a two. I don't know why he'd start them there, unless Lucas was literally out on his feet. In midweek it has to be Lucas in there.
Not sure any of our midfield suit playing in a 2. Can't understand it when the 1-2 worked so well last season. Big reason we challenged for 1st instead of 4thth.

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #713 on: September 13, 2014, 10:10:26 pm »
It was a dig at  England and how losing a key player due to mismanagement puts us on the back foot against very well resourced sides.

Its not a big deal. People are making a moutain out of a molehill.

Yeah, but isn't it great that people will use it as a really big stick with a big dollop of shit on the end....

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #714 on: September 13, 2014, 10:10:42 pm »
How many touches did Balotelli have in the box today? it must have been be less than 5. Was so frustrating watching him drift to the left most of the match, we had no-one to aim for in the box. I don't know why we went back to 4-3-3 today when the diamond worked perfectly at Spurs. Yes it would have meant accommodating Lambert and Sterling but if it aint broke why fit it? Lallana looked well off the pace but I suppose he'll get the match fitness over the next few weeks.

We need at least 7pts from the next 9 available to be in and around the top 4.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #715 on: September 13, 2014, 10:10:52 pm »
So you don't even actually know what he said - yet you're disappointed with him.

Fucks sake.

And I maintain that there is no way Rodgers is going to rest Sterling for a CL game - the lad is dying for the experience, it's the first time in quite a few years it's come to Anfield, and you're going to tell our best player to sit it out? Steady.

On the assumption that Sterling was fit to start and wasn't carrying anything, isn't it too early to be resting players? There will be opportunities to rest players when we have more of last seasons team available to us. At the moment so many players are out that we are trying to start with a new side.

Offline Just Dan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #716 on: September 13, 2014, 10:11:01 pm »
you can't just turn up and expect to win.

This is what irks me a little bit. Because this Paul Lambert's Villa at Anfield is nothing new to us. We know what they do. All the talk before the game was them at our place the last couple of seasons. Rodgers even talked about it himself. He is a manager that 9 times out of 10 learns from his mistakes. Obviously this one is proving a little different.

Starting this match with Lallana, Markovic and Balotelli. 3 players lacking match fitness. 3 players that had never played with one another before was a bit weird. Especially knowing exactly what Villa would try to do. We needed energy.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #717 on: September 13, 2014, 10:12:31 pm »
Good start to weekend.
Unfortunately bad end for us.
After last year's success pressure on Rodgers is on.
Especially with the spending
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #718 on: September 13, 2014, 10:13:07 pm »
On the assumption that Sterling was fit to start and wasn't carrying anything, isn't it too early to be resting players? There will be opportunities to rest players when we have more of last seasons team available to us. At the moment so many players are out that we are trying to start with a new side.

You could well be right. Might have been better saving the rest for a few games time - but I just can't see why people think it would be the CL game he'd sit out - surely league cup or against weaker PL teams - which perhaps Brendan got it wrong with today.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #719 on: September 13, 2014, 10:13:12 pm »
As shit as the result is, and poor as the performance was, Balotelli's movement and running was a big plus, hope the team is shown a video so that Gerrard, Lallana and Coutinho in particular can start tuning in to his wavelength. He created a lot of space with those runs, needed a player closer to him to take advantage, provided our players looked up, which for large parts of this match they did not seem to be doing.