Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1786693 times)

Offline darcy171

• Kopite
Re: Let's Improve the Atmosphere at Anfield (split from Fortress Anfield)
« Reply #9040 on: January 15, 2018, 01:50:13 pm »
I had a long discussion with some of their fans about this on twitter a while ago, it’s always bugged me why they do too.

The best ‘reason’ I could get out of them is that apparently when he joined us, he did one of those standard interviews where he said something like ‘this is the best squad I’ve ever been involved with’. All the City fans who boo him have taken this as him disrespecting their club.

Special bunch!

I may be wrong, but I noticed after his move, most City fans still seemed to like him. It was only after a selection of our fans started booing Sterling that they changed. Tried to convince themselves that Milner had done the same and "engineered" a move away for free, and that if we're doing it to Sterling, they should to Milner.

Strange bunch.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9041 on: January 15, 2018, 02:34:18 pm »
Tried to convince themselves that Milner had done the same and "engineered" a move away for free, and that if we're doing it to Sterling, they should to Milner.

Strange bunch.

That was my take.

Weird bunch !
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline digger barnes 87

• Kopite
  • TOXTETH RED 4 life
« Reply #9042 on: January 15, 2018, 05:06:56 pm »
The Atmosphere at the last 2 league games has been boss.
“Don’t worry Alan. At least you’ll be able to play close to a great team!” Bill Shankly to Alan Ball after he signed for Everton

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #9043 on: January 15, 2018, 05:07:30 pm »
Because some of the bellends at the club don't have a fucking clue . Nothing new !

George did the same against Newcastle in the first 4-3, and did so again v Chelsea in 2005. One could say it's a tradition.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline SingFongFC

• Kopite
  • L-I-V, E-R-P, Double O L, Liverpool FC
« Reply #9044 on: January 15, 2018, 05:33:54 pm »
George did the same against Newcastle in the first 4-3, and did so again v Chelsea in 2005. One could say it's a tradition.

And after Dortmund I believe!

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9045 on: January 15, 2018, 06:06:01 pm »

I know . Also a fair few games betweeen and since .

If it's become a tradition , it's a shit tradition . Let the fans decide how they react without the cringy cheerleading shite !
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #9046 on: January 15, 2018, 06:19:27 pm »
Can't remember who said it, but a quote possibly from Stephen Kelly's brilliant book about the Kop years ago, when someone described the scenes on the Kop during one game as 'resembling a painting by Hieronymus Bosch'.  After Mané's goal last night it was just that in the Kop........bedlam !

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9047 on: January 15, 2018, 06:23:30 pm »

If it's become a tradition , it's a shit tradition . Let the fans decide how they react without the cringy cheerleading shite !

Probably the most overused term of the decade. It's George Sephton, if he wants to cheer lead he fucking can. The man has been at the club longer than most on here have been alive, can't believe the cheek of some fans to have a go.

Offline ChrisLFCKOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9048 on: January 15, 2018, 06:23:58 pm »
And after Dortmund I believe!

Don't remember them playing it myself but so caught up in the emotion of the night, remember singing it (i think)

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9049 on: January 15, 2018, 06:25:31 pm »
It's quite interesting the backlash over that sugar sugar song. I think it's an extreme example that sums up much of the problem at Anfield. As others have pointed out, if it was started by a scouser on the coach to an away then everyone would probably be singing it. Let's face it, it's just a better version of oh mane mane and that caught on fine.

We've got this whole day tripper debate that is a legitimate one but I really think it has lead to an extremely uptight reaction from many of the locals. As recently as maybe 2006/2007 the Kop was awash with scarves for YNWA and was a sea of red. Even for the big games now it's distinctly colourless because scarves and replica shirts are whopper/wool behaviour. We haven't had any decent songs since the Suarez/Maxi era (and even the suarez one was nicked from celtic) and have had an awful lack of player chants for years and i'm sure part of the reason for that is the sneering attitude to new songs and a fear of being labelled a whopper by the north face clad fellas.

There's plenty of reasons for the atmosphere being poor over recent years but I genuinely feel it's one of the contributing factors. Liverpool has a culture that sets it above every other team in the country and rightly gained a reputation for that that people want to defend. But we also had a reputation for having the best and most diverse songbook, right now all we've got is FOAR a million times, poetry in motion and 200 lads testing if the rest know the words to poor scouser tommy. If a new song gets the crowd noise up then it can only be a good thing.

Anyway, all that aside, it sounded magnificent yesterday anyway. Not so much the songs but you could see all four sides of the ground getting into it, people leaning over the advertising boards dishing out abuse, that proper snarling anfield atmosphere that makes it one of the most intimadating places in world football on its day. How many points a season would that be worth if we could do it every week?

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9050 on: January 15, 2018, 06:37:50 pm »
Probably the most overused term of the decade. It's George Sephton, if he wants to cheer lead he fucking can. The man has been at the club longer than most on here have been alive, can't believe the cheek of some fans to have a go.

Are you for fuckin real ? Ha - fuckin heard it all now !

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9051 on: January 15, 2018, 06:43:39 pm »
i cant believe how many on here moan that George decided to play YNWA at full time

This has happened at the end of many a big game over the years and generally gets everyone staying and singing to be fair

Yes its great that it starts from the Kop every game but nothing gets it as loud as it was yesterday than getting everyone starting at the same time etc

Christ we play badly, people moan. we play well people find something to moan about. Something comes over the PA we fucking moan.

Most of the time there are complaints in here about the atmosphere being shite and rightly so - dont go looking for something to moan about when the place was jumping. enjoy the day for what it was because you can be sure it'll be shite again for a game soon

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #9052 on: January 15, 2018, 07:55:30 pm »
Fucking great in 202 yesterday. Bedlam when the goals went in.

Same in 108, just seemed a more positive atmosphere from the off. ( this may have been aided by several pints)

i cant believe how many on here moan that George decided to play YNWA at full time

This has happened at the end of many a big game over the years and generally gets everyone staying and singing to be fair

Yes its great that it starts from the Kop every game but nothing gets it as loud as it was yesterday than getting everyone starting at the same time etc

Didn't hear anyone moaning at the ground
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9053 on: January 15, 2018, 08:02:31 pm »
Just watched it again. The noise for our third goal. Unbelievable.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #9054 on: January 15, 2018, 08:06:07 pm »
Incredible in 305. My head was caning after the fourth because it was chaos. Even half the Main Stand was giving it to the away end.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9055 on: January 15, 2018, 08:22:45 pm »
Spot on alonsoisared.  Too many full of their own self importance dictating to others how they should behave.

Offline mainone

• Anny Roader
  • this is the end.....
« Reply #9056 on: January 15, 2018, 09:42:29 pm »
It wasnt a big game just a league win, were not going to win the league, would have sung walk on for the last 5 mins if we werent all shitting ourselves ,2005 we had just got to the european cup final.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9057 on: January 15, 2018, 09:45:15 pm »
Spot on alonsoisared.  Too many full of their own self importance dictating to others how they should behave.

Ditto. The irony with the north face brigade is they look exactly like the mancs or many fan groups of other sides.   There was a time when Scousers looked different.   Time for some innovation.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9058 on: January 15, 2018, 10:00:40 pm »
Let the crowd dictate the atmosphere and how it celebrates.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9059 on: January 15, 2018, 10:08:58 pm »
Ditto. The irony with the north face brigade is they look exactly like the mancs or many fan groups of other sides.   There was a time when Scousers looked different.   Time for some innovation.

Exactly. They're fucking sheep mate.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #9060 on: January 15, 2018, 10:55:51 pm »

Yer wha?....George has threw it on at the end of loads of momentous victories...quite right too..sounded fuckin great
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9061 on: January 15, 2018, 11:45:18 pm »
Because some of the bellends at the club don't have a fucking clue . Nothing new !
I thought it was the icing on the cake of the afternoon mate. A bit of an extra jibe towards City as they trotted off defeated while we sung our hearts out descending the steps.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9062 on: January 15, 2018, 11:51:58 pm »
I thought it was the icing on the cake of the afternoon mate. A bit of an extra jibe towards City as they trotted off defeated while we sung our hearts out descending the steps.

L3 in the Main Stand was rocking: flasks being shaken, rugs waved and loads of blokes waiting until the final whistle to rush off.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9063 on: January 15, 2018, 11:52:43 pm »
Quite, it's not the Head of PR with a great idea, it was George's pretty proud reaction to the result.
Yer wha?....George has threw it on at the end of loads of momentous victories...quite right too..sounded fuckin great
The thousands that resonated it around the ground will testify :)

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #9064 on: January 16, 2018, 12:32:17 pm »
L3 in the Main Stand was rocking: flasks being shaken, rugs waved and loads of blokes waiting until the final whistle to rush off.

;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #9065 on: January 16, 2018, 03:21:50 pm »
Bloody hell, that hasn't happened since St. Etienne.  ;D
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #9066 on: January 16, 2018, 09:49:59 pm »
Can't remember who said it, but a quote possibly from Stephen Kelly's brilliant book about the Kop years ago, when someone described the scenes on the Kop during one game as 'resembling a painting by Hieronymus Bosch'.  After Mané's goal last night it was just that in the Kop........bedlam !
It was Rogan Taylor, describing Fairclough’s winner against St.Etienne, I think

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #9067 on: January 16, 2018, 09:52:45 pm »
It was Rogan Taylor, describing Fairclough’s winner against St.Etienne, I think

I was in the Kop for the Celtic, Ajax and St Etienne games. i know it's difficult to generate that atamosphere in an all seater ground but the team and crowd were both in sync on Sundayy.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9068 on: January 16, 2018, 09:53:41 pm »
Reminded me of a CL night atmosphere on Sunday - like when we blew Real Madrid away in 2009 - that kind of fuck you, we're Liverpool attitude and hostile nature. No doubt about it, the City players were shitting themselves that 9 minutes. Was in lower KK and Sterling looked like a little boy.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
« Reply #9069 on: January 16, 2018, 10:33:20 pm »
That atmosphere should be like that every week where teams shit themselves coming to a hostile anfield.
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9070 on: January 16, 2018, 10:35:24 pm »
That atmosphere should be like that every week where teams shit themselves coming to a hostile anfield.

If only.

It was special though. Looking forward to it being repeated in the Champions League at least!

Offline epsomred

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • half man half biscan. OOT and proud of it.
« Reply #9071 on: January 16, 2018, 10:44:35 pm »
It's quite interesting the backlash over that sugar sugar song. I think it's an extreme example that sums up much of the problem at Anfield. As others have pointed out, if it was started by a scouser on the coach to an away then everyone would probably be singing it. Let's face it, it's just a better version of oh mane mane and that caught on fine.

We've got this whole day tripper debate that is a legitimate one but I really think it has lead to an extremely uptight reaction from many of the locals. As recently as maybe 2006/2007 the Kop was awash with scarves for YNWA and was a sea of red. Even for the big games now it's distinctly colourless because scarves and replica shirts are whopper/wool behaviour. We haven't had any decent songs since the Suarez/Maxi era (and even the suarez one was nicked from celtic) and have had an awful lack of player chants for years and i'm sure part of the reason for that is the sneering attitude to new songs and a fear of being labelled a whopper by the north face clad fellas.

There's plenty of reasons for the atmosphere being poor over recent years but I genuinely feel it's one of the contributing factors. Liverpool has a culture that sets it above every other team in the country and rightly gained a reputation for that that people want to defend. But we also had a reputation for having the best and most diverse songbook, right now all we've got is FOAR a million times, poetry in motion and 200 lads testing if the rest know the words to poor scouser tommy. If a new song gets the crowd noise up then it can only be a good thing.

Anyway, all that aside, it sounded magnificent yesterday anyway. Not so much the songs but you could see all four sides of the ground getting into it, people leaning over the advertising boards dishing out abuse, that proper snarling anfield atmosphere that makes it one of the most intimadating places in world football on its day. How many points a season would that be worth if we could do it every week?

Well said. So bored of a small number of self regarding fans trying to dictate what the rest of us can and can't do.
Believe in yourselves and we can do this.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #9072 on: January 17, 2018, 03:52:12 am »
Loud as fuck last night. Sounded like a latter stages European night from the Rafa era !

Hopefully will be replicated against City next week.

Well it certainly was , and then some !!  :D

Up there with some of the best at Anfield on Sunday. Roll on Porto !!  :lickin
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Espresso Bar

• Kopite
« Reply #9073 on: January 20, 2018, 12:14:09 pm »
On the youth game today

Offline accyred

• Kemlynite
« Reply #9074 on: January 21, 2018, 03:18:26 pm »
Well said. So bored of a small number of self regarding fans trying to dictate what the rest of us can and can't do.

this
In sunny Spain , we won it six times  🇪🇸

Offline accyred

• Kemlynite
« Reply #9075 on: January 21, 2018, 03:26:02 pm »

the best thing iv read on the subject in a while, i dont wear colours to games myself but certainly dont judge those who do
so much of a "certain way" of being a supporter in the ground these days its ridiculous
In sunny Spain , we won it six times  🇪🇸

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9076 on: January 21, 2018, 05:47:44 pm »

If you don't buy into the culture of Liverpool as a city and a club then people will question what the fuck are you doing there.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #9077 on: January 21, 2018, 07:21:25 pm »
If you don't buy into the culture of Liverpool as a city and a club then people will question what the fuck are you doing there.

Who is the arbiter of the 'culture'? Ignoring the club, what is the culture of the city then? I'm pretty sure, having grown up there, that I know the 'culture' of the city but I can tell you now that when I was at uni and came back for the game, I would have looked about as far away from the 'North Face crew' look that is common around the ground.

Wear colours, wear your scarf (swinging it round my head to Ring of Fire on some of those European nights will stick with me for a long time) do whatever you damn well please so long as you make an effort in the ground to support the team rather than moaning and groaning every shanked kick of the ball (not saying you do that, just a common complaint). Or don't...that is my point, the only thing that matters is how you support the team, not if you conform to any particular look, personality, belief etc.

Offline epsomred

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • half man half biscan. OOT and proud of it.
« Reply #9078 on: January 21, 2018, 07:37:50 pm »

Yeah but who appointed you as the arbitrator of who 'buys in to the culture of Liverpool, as a city" and who doesn't ? Let me give you an example. Last year I took a Malaysian guy to Anfield for his first ever game after thirty years of being a fan. He told me on the train up from London that when he was a kid him and his dad used to walk about 2 miles through the jungle to the next village late at night to watch us on MOTD in a bar because they were too poor to buy a telly. Going to the ground was almost a religious experience for him. He wore a knock off replica shirt, he bought 5 programmes to take back home and he belted out every song at top volume. He was on the verge of buying  half and half outside until I stopped him.

Now he knows fuck all about "Liverpool as a city", he comes from Malaysia so about as much as an OOT as you cab be and he filmed the players warming up on his I phone. All not very acceptable to the North face clad self appointed guardians of the Liverpool culture but in my mind more of a fan than a lot of the moany fuckers on here will ever be. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:52:47 pm by epsomred »
Believe in yourselves and we can do this.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9079 on: January 21, 2018, 07:52:29 pm »
Yeah but who appointed you as the arbitrator of who 'buys in to the culture of Liverpool, as a city" and who doesn't ? Let me give you an example. Last year I took a Malaysian guy to Anfield for his first ever game after thirty years of being a fan. He told me on the train up from London that when he was a kid him and his dad used to walk about 2 miles through the jungle to the next village late at night to watch us on MOTD in a bar because they were too poor to buy a telly. Going to the ground was almost a religious experience for him. He wore a knock off replica shirt, he bought 5 programmes to take back home and he belted out every song at top volume. He was on the verge of buying  half and half outside until I stopped him.

Now he knows fuck all about "Liverpool as a city", he comes from Malaysia so about as much as an OOT as you and he filmed the players warming up on his I phone. All not very acceptable to the North face clad self appointed guardians of the Liverpool culture but in my mind more of a fan than a lot of the moany fuckers on here will ever be.

Nobody appointed me nor did I say I was I said there's a culture. If I went to Malaysian I would take in their culture but this debate isn't for once in a lifetime moments its for people who go to the game regular. Someone who's on a one off trip is not going to improve the atmosphere at Anfield or help solve the problems we have with it they are their to enjoy their experience and there's no problem with that.

Why did you stop him buying a half and half scarf if that's what he wanted to do?