Author Topic: Atmosphere at Anfield  (Read 1786719 times)

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Let's Improve the Atmosphere at Anfield (split from Fortress Anfield)
« Reply #8680 on: October 29, 2017, 08:31:46 pm »
A dialogue needs to be opened with the club but they don't give a fuck. I remember I tried sending a long passionate email to then a season or two ago and got fuck all in return, sent it to everyone I could find and the committee too and heard zip all back. They don't give a fuck cos they're making money anyway. Maybe if someone here knows Tony, as I'm sure they must do, then they must be able to bend his ear and see what thoughts are inside the club.

But it's not their fault it's shit in the first place, it's their fault that they won't remedy it. The problem is the people who inside the ground. One of a few things has happened:

1. It's the same people in the ground as when it was good, but they've all lost their voices; or

2. There's a different kind of person inside anfield nowadays.

I'm going with 2. People such as hoppy, david, myself (not that I'm anything special but at least I'd sing and stay for 90 minutes) and countless others have binned it off to go watch the purps or to stay at home with family or just to watch it on a stream (fuck sky and if you pay for it be ashamed). This will have started years and years ago and either tickets were passed back to the club, so they were sold on to the new members with no history of coming and no clue how to act, or they'll have been retained for their credit value and then sold on to tourists who have even less of a clue.

Then that started the trickle effect cos those of us who stayed noticed that less were joining in with our songs, and instead they were looking at their phone or blowing on their cuntacino latte. First few times we thought "meh fuck him I'll keep singing" but then the quiet crowd grew bigger and then they became the majority and they grew a set of bollocks of their own. But they didn't use those balls to join in, they used those balls to tell those who were denting their entertainment (ie the noisy rabble that sing songs with a swear word or fucking eight in them) to pipe down.

Which means years ago yes you had people sneaking off and people not singing but they were the outliers. Now we're the fucking minority and we've had enough. I feel sick when I think about it and I'm only 26 so I can't imagine what some of you lot have lost.

Gentle nudges haven't worked. We need to start being  unwelcoming to the c*nts who should know better. Someone with a half and half? Take the piss and embarrass them about it, someone on their phone? Tell them to put the thing back in their pocket. Someone booing or shouting abuse to the pitch? Turn around and call them a c*nt. Except we can't, cos those of us who care are the minority.

Part of me misses the match greatly, every build up to every game I wish I was there. But then afterwards, win lose or draw, I feel relieved that I didn't shit £100 away to have tarquin, patrick and felicity from fucking Cambridge tell me to quiet down they can't hear the commentary of the polo on their WiFi iPad, before they sneak past me at 80 minutes to check the champers aisle of Waitrose hasn't ran dry

Fuck it.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8681 on: October 29, 2017, 08:32:24 pm »
Getting nice and feisty on here, angry people make things happen.    Doesn't matter whether you are young or old, whether you walk 100yds to the ground or travel from half way round the globe.   All that matters is that you turn up not as an observer but as part of the cast.  We all have clearly defined roles to play and we should all understand what our culture and history demands of us.   
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8682 on: October 29, 2017, 08:36:53 pm »
But it's not their fault it's shit in the first place, it's their fault that they won't remedy it. The problem is the people who inside the ground. One of a few things has happened:

1. It's the same people in the ground as when it was good, but they've all lost their voices; or

2. There's a different kind of person inside anfield nowadays.

I'm going with 2.

It's both in reality, along with a whole other host of reasons.

Offline Sooty89!!!

• Simpleton with a Repressed Replica Top Fetish.
  • Kopite
« Reply #8683 on: October 29, 2017, 09:07:02 pm »
I doubt most tourists even know how to buy off the club, they'll be getting them from touts or 'agencies'
Day trippers then, people going for a “day out”

Offline Poet

• He IS a poet! And he truly knows it! He's a new member; fresh fire from old ember. No idiot or fool, for he follows Liverpool. A CT gift from heaven! Well, actually, from 24/7...who's taller than 5' 11"!
  • Kopite
    • Sui-Juris
« Reply #8684 on: October 29, 2017, 09:42:41 pm »
It's up to us fans to seek change. Anger that isn't transformed into positivity will only eat away at you like maggots on a carcass.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Offline Smurfite

• Main Stander
« Reply #8685 on: October 29, 2017, 09:44:55 pm »

Gentle nudges haven't worked. We need to start being  unwelcoming to the c*nts who should know better. Someone with a half and half? Take the piss and embarrass them about it, someone on their phone? Tell them to put the thing back in their pocket. Someone booing or shouting abuse to the pitch? Turn around and call them a c*nt. Except we can't, cos those of us who care are the minority.

This.

Exactly This.

We got "If you're wearing half an half then your a c*nt" and a few other of those types of songs going in 305 but we need more of it. We need to bring back some of the classic moody songs, and make a few new ones up. I'm sick of The Kop being family fucking friendly. We need to get it to the point where the club gets enough complaints about folks being told they're c*nts and to fuck off instagram during the match that it does somethin. If the club gets enough complaints they will start advising people who don't know what it means to be a Kopite to get to The Main or The Kemlyn. We either mould folks into the famous kopites of old or we force them to fuck off. If it doesn't suit you then maybe you should retire to The Main or Kemlyn like they used to?

You get your education from the Kop?

Well it's time to start teaching.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #8686 on: October 29, 2017, 09:51:04 pm »
£53 for a ticket to watch us play Maribor  :butt
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline liverpool185

• Kopite
« Reply #8687 on: October 29, 2017, 10:03:40 pm »

So you want other fans including yourself to go around bullying people, jesus this mentality is absolutely idiotic, this post is as bad as the ones on here claiming tourists are the problem when blatantly most of the stadium is scouse.

You really think going around bullying people you don't even know and calling strangers c*nts is going to improve the atmosphere?  :lmao
David Moyes, a woman beater without actually beating a woman.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8688 on: October 29, 2017, 10:08:46 pm »
So you want other fans including yourself to go around bullying people, jesus this mentality is absolutely idiotic, this post is as bad as the ones on here claiming tourists are the problem when blatantly most of the stadium is scouse.

You really think going around bullying people you don't even know and calling strangers c*nts is going to improve the atmosphere?  :lmao

Bullying. Grow up.

If someone is booing their own team then they are a c*nt. And they get positive reinforcement from the fellow twats around them who are doing it. It needs stamping out.

Someone wearing a half and half being embarassed? What happened to the famous laugh at yourself wit? I didn't say whip it off them and kick them in the dick did I?

Someone with a phone out being told to put it away? I don't see that as bullying.

Then again I've seen you in the post match thread saying people are right to moan at the lads so I guess I know how glad I'd be to be stood (or sat I guess) next to you at the game.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:10:35 pm by Jake »

Offline epsomred

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • half man half biscan. OOT and proud of it.
« Reply #8689 on: October 29, 2017, 10:08:54 pm »
After forty  years of supporting LFC I have given up on Anfield and now just go to away games where the atmosphere is much better. Three quick points :

Stop saying we are the best fans in the world because we are not. Take a look at the German clubs or closer to home CPFC. That's what you call support. Compare selhurst park when they were 2.0 down yesterday to how many of our so called brilliant fans were left in the away end  at Tottenham at 90 mins. We should all be ashamed. I reckon Klopp will be feeling he was seduced by the hype.

The atmosphere at Anfield  has been killed by the age demographic of the Kop. Too many negative old timers clutching onto season tickets who can't be bothered to sing anymore.

The club can change it by moving season ticket holders to the main stand and sell 5,000 tickets on the day to people who are willing to queue from mid morning. That's how it used to be in the 80s and by god if you queued for 2 - 3 hours in the rain eating greasy chips you were a proper committed fan and not just some tourist ticking shit of a bucket list.

Believe in yourselves and we can do this.

Offline liverpool185

• Kopite
« Reply #8690 on: October 29, 2017, 10:22:10 pm »
Bullying. Grow up.

If someone is booing their own team then they are a c*nt. And they get positive reinforcement from the fellow twats around them who are doing it. It needs stamping out.

Someone wearing a half and half being embarassed? What happened to the famous laugh at yourself wit? I didn't say whip it off them and kick them in the dick did I?

Someone with a phone out being told to put it away? I don't see that as bullying.

Then again I've seen you in the post match thread saying people are right to moan at the lads so I guess I know how glad I'd be to be stood (or sat I guess) next to you at the game.

Agree on that the first point that people who boo are c*nts but still wouldn't go out my way to start insulting them, maybe have a little word to ask them to support, certainly wouldn't start insulting them.

How would you feel if you had a load of people taking the piss out of you because of something you wore, that's called bullying mate. Who gives a fuck whether they wear a half and half scarf, focus on supporting the team not others around you. If you really have an issue with it why not take it up with the people selling them? Then again I doubt they would take to some random trying to intimidate them lightly...

Why the fuck should someone not be allowed to use their phone, what the actual fuck. Again focus on yourself not what someone else is doing, if I was quickly taking a picture and someone asked me to put my phone away, i'd tell them to fuck off and mind their own business.

People discussing the game on an internet forum is completely different to going to the ground and screaming non stop shit at the team.

Seems to me like you want to create some kind of thuggish gang going around trying to intimidate people.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:24:45 pm by liverpool185 »
David Moyes, a woman beater without actually beating a woman.

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8691 on: October 29, 2017, 10:51:51 pm »
As a preamble, I apologise if I come across as being  the resident old arse who’s always bleating on  about what it was like in the good old days.That’s not the intention. It wasn’t perfect back then, far from it on occasions. Even still there was usually “enough” from the Kop to at least connect with the players.  Getting in early and singing the players names in the kick-in for a start.
The main points as I see it are these and  we’re touching on sensitive territory here so I apologise in advance. I also apologise if I’ve repeated myself on here loads of times. Sorry. I can’t help myself!

The Kop is too comfortable in the sense that when there was standing and having to queue to get in, the “senior” supporters invariably chose another part of the ground to watch their football. Like it or not, it was natural selection and the rough and tumble wasn’t for everybody.

It’s  desperately sad to see an ever-increasing number of passionless folk on the Kop, arms folded even during YNWA and clearly not giving two fucks. Next to them, you’ve invariably got the amateur Thomas Cook amateur photographers and the halfy-halfy brigade filming the whole sad debacle. And whilst we have to understand the older supporters (I’m one myself) who may say, ”I’ve had my season ticket for decades , what right have you to say that I don’t belong there blah blah,” there comes a point when the club need to be encouraged to do something if they still want to market our reputation.

They need to accommodate people who have had season tickets for donkeys years and aren’t interested in the singing elsewhere- even elsewhere on the Kop. The same obviously applies to the occasional visitors. But the central part of the Kop needs to be set aside to what it’s always been famous for. That’s not to criticise the supporters who don’t want to take part in the singing but want to watch the match quietly. Not at all. Just that they should be encoraged to watch the game from elsewhere. It’s not fucking rocket science.  Or maybe it is and I’ve been away for too long?

That said,  of course there are occasions when the support is still white-hot, and our fans are capable of creating an atmosphere which we all know is second to none. If there was a Champions league semi-final tomorrow you can guarantee that it’d be right up there with the other great nights.

Even still,  it’s when there is general malaise and  like yesterday on the back of poor form and bad results, that the Kop needs to reach out and do something to lift the team. It’s the general bread and butter matches where the Kop  in its present state (as well as the team) is woeful.

Where are the songs that used to be sung to lift the team in these moments? “Come on Scousers…” “Get into them”…”Come on you mighty reds, come on you mighty reds?”  “Allez-les rouges”  Defient, easy-to learn songs  which used to do the trick and give encouragement even when the atmosphere wasn’t scintellating . Simple songs that kept the atmosphere ticking over even if it wasn’t St Etienne or Barcelona. At least the Kop knew that they had to help out and encourage the team. If these songs aren’t passed down , sung and learned by newer generations, they’re lost.

In addition, there needs to be some sort of behavioural self-regulation like there is (or should be) in many walks of life. If your mate’s got his phone out and talking to his missus during the game, tell him not to. If you see the halfy-halfy brigade, don’t get agressive, just them that you don’t do that- but with a smile. Tell them before the match but don’t offend people who love our club. Educate and teach them the traditions but respect them. As others have already said, the club should be doing the same by not selling these rags in the club shop, but that’s another story.

As a kid, (70s and 80s) if I or one of my mates couldn’t get to a match, the first question we’d ask those who’d been would be what the atmosphere was like. It was that important. It was as if we had a duty to make it good. And that’s why I and others on here  are so passionate, not just about the result but about everything that is connected with our success.  I don’t want trophies if the rest is missing.
If the club really wanted to do something, they could. A lot of people writing on here, who are more informed than me at the moment seem to be saying that they don’t. I really hope they listen to  Tony Barrett.
I’m probably a deluded old dreamer and maybe I shouldn’t take it so badly. But it’s very hard to, especially when you can’t even get to the game yourself and all you live on is memories.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8692 on: October 29, 2017, 11:19:41 pm »
I can't tell you how happy that makes me.  I've shown you my bona fides; I'm Scouse born and bred and love Liverpool and Liverpool FC and have done from the moment of my birth 58 years ago so if some snot-nose whippersnapper like you thinks he can tell established support how it should be then it pleases me when he is amongst the casualties. 
But you can't justify why you think there's no ST waiting list, so if you haven't got anything to contribute to the thread don't bother posting in it please mate. Ta.

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #8693 on: October 29, 2017, 11:50:54 pm »
Agree on that the first point that people who boo are c*nts but still wouldn't go out my way to start insulting them, maybe have a little word to ask them to support, certainly wouldn't start insulting them.

How would you feel if you had a load of people taking the piss out of you because of something you wore, that's called bullying mate. Who gives a fuck whether they wear a half and half scarf, focus on supporting the team not others around you. If you really have an issue with it why not take it up with the people selling them? Then again I doubt they would take to some random trying to intimidate them lightly...

Why the fuck should someone not be allowed to use their phone, what the actual fuck. Again focus on yourself not what someone else is doing, if I was quickly taking a picture and someone asked me to put my phone away, i'd tell them to fuck off and mind their own business.

People discussing the game on an internet forum is completely different to going to the ground and screaming non stop shit at the team.

Seems to me like you want to create some kind of thuggish gang going around trying to intimidate people.

It's a nice idea to think that we can all go to the game and hold hands and think everybody is lovely, give each other big kisses at half time, but life's isn't like that, and there's a lot of people who go to the match now who are actively damaging the atmosphere and changing the culture of our fan base, either through ignorance, or just not giving a shit about it.

People are tired of it. Do you think it's bullying when people sing or gesture towards away fans? Honestly mate, you don't really understand the culture or humour of the city or the people in it, and that of our support, or football generally. You don't 'get it'. Football isn't rugby union or tennis. It's built on generations of tribalism, of people going to the match and letting off steam, not being told to be quiet, sit down, to not have a laugh at someone wearing a half and half. Nobody is getting attacked, pushed around.

This is our club, it's not for randomers and weirdos to fundamentally change the culture of our support to the point where the people who make our support what it is (or was) don't want to go anymore, because people are scared to stand up for our fan culture in case someone's feelings get hurt. Or perhaps the day has come when we should be handing match bans out to people who sing shit on the cockneys against London clubs, or songs about mancs against United? I'd hate a customer to have their feelings hurt.

Bullying? I really don't know when people became such bed wetters.

Offline Poet

• He IS a poet! And he truly knows it! He's a new member; fresh fire from old ember. No idiot or fool, for he follows Liverpool. A CT gift from heaven! Well, actually, from 24/7...who's taller than 5' 11"!
  • Kopite
    • Sui-Juris
« Reply #8694 on: October 30, 2017, 12:16:53 am »
It's a nice idea to think that we can all go to the game and hold hands and think everybody is lovely, give each other big kisses at half time, but life's isn't like that, and there's a lot of people who go to the match now who are actively damaging the atmosphere and changing the culture of our fan base, either through ignorance, or just not giving a shit about it.

People are tired of it. Do you think it's bullying when people sing or gesture towards away fans? Honestly mate, you don't really understand the culture or humour of the city or the people in it, and that of our support, or football generally. You don't 'get it'. Football isn't rugby union or tennis. It's built on generations of tribalism, of people going to the match and letting off steam, not being told to be quiet, sit down, to not have a laugh at someone wearing a half and half. Nobody is getting attacked, pushed around.

This is our club, it's not for randomers and weirdos to fundamentally change the culture of our support to the point where the people who make our support what it is (or was) don't want to go anymore, because people are scared to stand up for our fan culture in case someone's feelings get hurt. Or perhaps the day has come when we should be handing match bans out to people who sing shit on the cockneys against London clubs, or songs about mancs against United? I'd hate a customer to have their feelings hurt.

Bullying? I really don't know when people became such bed wetters.

I fundamentally disagree with calling people who are different to you "weirdos". It isn't pleasant. Yes they may not be contributing in a positive way, but honestly who are we to judge? What we have to do is lead by example. Not by marginalising these fans, but by engaging them. At the end of the day, they support the same football club as us and many people have forgotten that fact.

Modern day football has been influenced by the toxicity of social media, that is why I stay clear of such platforms. They are platforms where people forget that they're human beings, turning into vitriolic creatures. The negativity you see on Twitter seems to make its way into the terraces. There was a guy behind me on Saturday who'd shout ridiculous insults at Sturridge for falling to the ground after clearly being impeded. Things like that are counter productive, all it does is give you a short term output of anger, whilst creating an unseen resentment beneath the skin.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #8695 on: October 30, 2017, 12:32:43 am »
I fundamentally disagree with calling people who are different to you "weirdos". It isn't pleasant. Yes they may not be contributing in a positive way, but honestly who are we to judge? What we have to do is lead by example. Not by marginalising these fans, but by engaging them. At the end of the day, they support the same football club as us and many people have forgotten that fact.

Modern day football has been influenced by the toxicity of social media, that is why I stay clear of such platforms. They are platforms where people forget that they're human beings, turning into vitriolic creatures. The negativity you see on Twitter seems to make its way into the terraces. There was a guy behind me on Saturday who'd shout ridiculous insults at Sturridge for falling to the ground after clearly being impeded. Things like that are counter productive, all it does is give you a short term output of anger, whilst creating an unseen resentment beneath the skin.

I'm not talking about people who happen to be different to me, when I say weirdos. Please don't ask me for an Oxford English definition, I won't be venturing one. It may not be a pleasant thing to say, but it is what it is, and I stand by it, based on recent experience at the match. There's some very odd people in our support these days.

What you're saying is all nice in an ideal world, about engaging with people, but as far as I can tell, that and placating people has been attempted for years, and hasn't worked, to the point now where the atmosphere is on the bones of its arse. The culture in the stands is fundamentally changing now, and not for the better.

Agree re: social media, I don't use it myself.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 12:34:45 am by butchersdog »

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8696 on: October 30, 2017, 05:15:02 am »
I have been following the club from afar since the late 90s. Never been to Anfield but is one of my lifelong dreams. But reading some of the views on here, I am starting to get scared.

Ohh well, we can't make Anfield intimidating for opponents, but at least we can do it for our fellow supporters.

Also, on a slightly different note, I read a post few pages back about how it is preferable to have a quiet fan rather than a fan with a touristy hat or some such. Is that the opinion of most people on here? I mean personally for me, I don't care what you are buying or wearing as long as you are making some noise and contributing to the atmosphere.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #8697 on: October 30, 2017, 05:23:04 am »
Bullying. Grow up.

Definitely agree with that, booing? what the fuck, are we getting relegated or something? our fans are shite

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #8698 on: October 30, 2017, 05:35:56 am »
There was a widespread malaise at the game on Saturday. You can say what you like about the opponent and some apprehension after the Spurs result but it was a strange atmosphere. I was sat in 204 and it was just dead. I had a couple of lads behind me in their early 20's who done nothing but talk shite all game and none of it was football related. They were talking about their friend and his new protein shake formula for half of it. I mentioned it in the post-match thread but it is still winding me up now when I think about it. A few young lads here and there, a couple of parents with kids but I reckon at least 50 percent were fellas 40 and above who didn't seem to be actually enjoying the game. Although to be fair nobody around me cracked a smile until we scored.

I don't know why you'd go the game and not get completely involved in it. Some people don't like singing and are shy people and I get that, but at least support the lads. Applaud a good move, pass or tackle. Don't moan or groan at any misgiving on the pitch. Be positive in every way. I lost count the amount of people I witnessed taking selfies. At half time or before kick off? Sound, it is the smartphone generation after all. But when the game is ongoing? Fuck that shit. People leaving on 40 minutes and 80 minutes. Why? I wouldn't go to a concert to see my favourite artist and leave before the end just for the sake of it.

I don't know how you wrestle this back. I don't think you can. FSG do not give one shiny fuck if the atmosphere is good or bad as long as bums are on seats and people are buying into the match day experience. Klopp must feel duped. There is a corrosive element to it and the rot is too deep now. I don't give a damn where you come from when you go the game, you could be from Tuebrook or Timbuktu and I don't care either way. Just support the team.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8699 on: October 30, 2017, 07:03:26 am »
Slow applause for that post Jake.

Offline skivvy10

• Kemlynite
« Reply #8700 on: October 30, 2017, 07:24:44 am »
Why is it not fair? There's defo too many of them on the kop they need moving. My dads a season tickets holder on the kop he's on his 50's, he needs to move but he's sat with a few mates so that's why he stays there. If they could all move together maybe they would
Who are you to tell people where they can or can't sit? I'm 50 and would love a season ticket on the Kop, but instead I have one in the Kenny Dalglish. The Anfield road end were singing more than the Kop on Saturday, most weeks our stand is singing plenty even though we have our fair share of tourists. There's enough "locals" on the Kop to generate a noise but it was non existent, all I heard was the fastest rendition of PST ever. Huddersfield were losing 3-0 and still sang more than we did so we can't use the players on the pitch as an excuse not to make some noise.
And on the 6th day he created the Spion Kop, and then he rested.

Offline WisconsinRed

• Special: but only in his very own.....special.....way!
  • Kopite
« Reply #8701 on: October 30, 2017, 08:25:05 am »
Who are you to tell people where they can or can't sit? I'm 50 and would love a season ticket on the Kop, but instead I have one in the Kenny Dalglish. The Anfield road end were singing more than the Kop on Saturday, most weeks our stand is singing plenty even though we have our fair share of tourists. There's enough "locals" on the Kop to generate a noise but it was non existent, all I heard was the fastest rendition of PST ever. Huddersfield were losing 3-0 and still sang more than we did so we can't use the players on the pitch as an excuse not to make some noise.

I can't tell people where to sit. It's just my opinion that we need to make the kop younger somehow. Less people on there for the 'experience' may help. Also getting friends to stand together.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #8702 on: October 30, 2017, 08:37:57 am »
I can't tell people where to sit. It's just my opinion that we need to make the kop younger somehow. Less people on there for the 'experience' may help. Also getting friends to stand together.

I agree with yer, lad. I'm 60 and no arl arse should be on the kop over 30,  scouse or tourist, full stop. Lash the arl c*nts over to the main or the Centenary. I don't give a fuck if they've been a season ticket holder there for dick docks. Give it to your lad or grandson or nephew or niece and fuck off!
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8703 on: October 30, 2017, 08:38:07 am »
So does anyone have Tony's ear?

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #8704 on: October 30, 2017, 11:46:58 am »
Was in 105 on Saturday and it was awful. It puts me off going to home games these days if I'm honest, it just frustrates me. People moaning, people on their phones, people barely celebrating. If I get a ticket in the main or dalglish then I don't mind it so much, but when I'm in the Kop I don't expect that shit at all. It's a disgrace honestly and makes me just want to go to away games.

I can only see one solution to it though. We need to drive the excess of middle aged people out of the Kop (and when I say this I know theres a lot of middle aged people who do stand/sing, they can stay. I'm talking about the real boring c*nts). You can't price them out, the tickets are high, the tickets are low, they're still gonna get tickets. The only solution I see to helping the atmosphere properly is to make most of the Kop safe standing. The people I'm referring to would never go in an all standing stand... it's the only way to drive that type of person off. A lot of people are for safe standing as proved by the SOS poll they took a few months back, and I see it as the only viable option if you want to get young lads back on the Kop enjoying football how it should be enjoyed.

Safe standing isn't a return to the terraces. It's a safe system that's been proven to work in countless sports venues across Europe. The way people were treated back in the 80's was atrocious and no one wants to see a return to that - it was ruining the game. But for me right now with the current state of football atmospheres especially at Anfield, the games being ruined in a totally different way. The place is nothing like it used to be even in my lifetime (25).

I don't agree with the idea of getting more locals in to improve atmosphere, I think you might see a marginal improvement but nothing more. I'm not local but I clap and sing all match... on Saturday I was sat round scousers, most of whom were 45+ and they didn't say a word most of the game. It's more about the type of person you want in the ground. Safe standing delivers that in a concentrated area because it drives people who want to sit away from it. They can have the main stand, they can have the Annie road and they can have the dalglish stand. Just give us the Kop. Then when I'm old and dull I'll make the right decision and go sit in one of the other stands.

Fuck it, most people will have a moan at this no doubt. It sickens me how shit it's become. Saturday felt like the thing I love most about football and Liverpool FC had died a little. I'd pay 100 pounds to be a part of the atmosphere I want it to be, but with how it was Saturday I might as well watch it down the pub.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8705 on: October 30, 2017, 11:57:43 am »
So does anyone have Tony's ear?

You'd imagine (hope) he'd be keeping an eye on fan comments on the largest LFC forum.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8706 on: October 30, 2017, 11:58:59 am »
You'd imagine (hope) he'd be keeping an eye on fan comments on the largest LFC forum.

He does have an account on here I've been told

Offline WisconsinRed

• Kopite
« Reply #8707 on: October 30, 2017, 12:43:24 pm »
I agree with yer, lad. I'm 60 and no arl arse should be on the kop over 30,  scouse or tourist, full stop. Lash the arl c*nts over to the main or the Centenary. I don't give a fuck if they've been a season ticket holder there for dick docks. Give it to your lad or grandson or nephew or niece and fuck off!

It's got to be done for the good of our support, the problem is it's a touchy subject as seen in this thread. All I can say is take a look at any crowd making an impressive atmosphere and see how old they are. The vast majority are 35 and under

Offline WisconsinRed

• Kopite
« Reply #8708 on: October 30, 2017, 12:47:50 pm »
Was in 105 on Saturday and it was awful. It puts me off going to home games these days if I'm honest, it just frustrates me. People moaning, people on their phones, people barely celebrating. If I get a ticket in the main or dalglish then I don't mind it so much, but when I'm in the Kop I don't expect that shit at all. It's a disgrace honestly and makes me just want to go to away games.

I can only see one solution to it though. We need to drive the excess of middle aged people out of the Kop (and when I say this I know theres a lot of middle aged people who do stand/sing, they can stay. I'm talking about the real boring c*nts). You can't price them out, the tickets are high, the tickets are low, they're still gonna get tickets. The only solution I see to helping the atmosphere properly is to make most of the Kop safe standing. The people I'm referring to would never go in an all standing stand... it's the only way to drive that type of person off. A lot of people are for safe standing as proved by the SOS poll they took a few months back, and I see it as the only viable option if you want to get young lads back on the Kop enjoying football how it should be enjoyed.

Safe standing isn't a return to the terraces. It's a safe system that's been proven to work in countless sports venues across Europe. The way people were treated back in the 80's was atrocious and no one wants to see a return to that - it was ruining the game. But for me right now with the current state of football atmospheres especially at Anfield, the games being ruined in a totally different way. The place is nothing like it used to be even in my lifetime (25).

I don't agree with the idea of getting more locals in to improve atmosphere, I think you might see a marginal improvement but nothing more. I'm not local but I clap and sing all match... on Saturday I was sat round scousers, most of whom were 45+ and they didn't say a word most of the game. It's more about the type of person you want in the ground. Safe standing delivers that in a concentrated area because it drives people who want to sit away from it. They can have the main stand, they can have the Annie road and they can have the dalglish stand. Just give us the Kop. Then when I'm old and dull I'll make the right decision and go sit in one of the other stands.

Fuck it, most people will have a moan at this no doubt. It sickens me how shit it's become. Saturday felt like the thing I love most about football and Liverpool FC had died a little. I'd pay 100 pounds to be a part of the atmosphere I want it to be, but with how it was Saturday I might as well watch it down the pub.

Good post mate. You're right safe standing is now a must if we want to retain any fan culture what so ever

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #8709 on: October 30, 2017, 12:48:18 pm »
So much bitching going on and stereotyping people!!

The main point is to improve the atmosphere in the stadium.  If people are contributing towards the atmosphere, then who care if that person has got a half and half, or if someone is on snapchat videoing.

I've seen plenty of people with half and halfs who sing their heart out, I've seen people videoing within the stand while singing and sending it to people.  I see people with no half and half and never on their phone and never sing!!!!

Don't deny that more corporates etc have impacted on the atmosphere and drove people away.  Yes it's annoying when you see someone filming on their ipad etc...... People seem to want more of the younger generation in, with that comes the technology that they bring with them, the younger generation today live on their phones, they record everything they do from the minute they get up, to the minute they go to bed.  Lets get them in the ground somehow, lets get the atmosphere better, but people need to get over the fact that you'll probably have a lot more phones pointing in your face!!!!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8710 on: October 30, 2017, 12:50:53 pm »
The age thing is as much a generalisation as the tourist/OOT thing is, and it's been done to death.

The real issue is it needs to be made totally clear that there is an expectation when in the Kop to add to the atmosphere - and this needs to come from the club and our own fans.

Old and don't want to stand, sing and shout (not complain) anymore? Then the club needs to facilitate moving ST holders from the Kop to elsewhere, and those fans need to be willing to move.

Tourist/OOTer/live next to the ground? if you don't want to stand, sing and shout then don't buy a ticket in the Kop.

Want to buy a half and half, be a full kit wanker or have your phone out? Fine, but add to the atmosphere or do it elsewhere in the ground.

Offline WisconsinRed

• Kopite
« Reply #8711 on: October 30, 2017, 12:58:46 pm »
The age thing is as much a generalisation as the tourist/OOT thing is, and it's been done to death.

The real issue is it needs to be made totally clear that there is an expectation when in the Kop to add to the atmosphere - and this needs to come from the club and our own fans.

Old and don't want to stand, sing and shout (not complain) anymore? Then the club needs to facilitate moving ST holders from the Kop to elsewhere, and those fans need to be willing to move.

Tourist/OOTer/live next to the ground? if you don't want to stand, sing and shout then don't buy a ticket in the Kop.

Want to buy a half and half, be a full kit wanker or have your phone out? Fine, but add to the atmosphere or do it elsewhere in the ground.

This is how I feel also. You just explain it much better than I could. Fans and the club need to work together to help relocating people who aren't interested in getting involved with creating an atmosphere. I sit in the kop but if I'm not up for getting involved I try to swap with someone in a different stand

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8712 on: October 30, 2017, 12:59:13 pm »
Atmosphere is toxic. I sit with a few mates hating most of the people around me. Gobshites. I'm Scouse been going since late sixties and fed up with our support. Only solution cheap tickets and bring in the youngsters but can't see it happening this side of safe standing.

For all the knobheads from smalltown united. with their your not famous anymore, is this a libary, pantomime routines etc. We fucking invented it. there's a rewriting of history that become prevalent that it could be shite in the past. Of course it varied especially in the 80's but at it's worst it was never as bad as today, not in the same league. No opposition fans outsung us or outwitted us, they were swiftly put in their place.  what's true is there has always been a tension between the young kids in the Kop and the Anny and the shop keepers in the Main Stand and Kemlyn, between the kids in the middle and their arl fellas in the rest of the Kop. The kids got in going and tried to keep it going and it transmitted to the arl fellas and the boring arl gets in the stands always got off early and moaned through the game, that was their job.

The whole things in aspic though. Reclaim the Kop, great idea led by some great lads but they were already in their thirties when they kicked it off now in there late forties and fifties, they're tired and looking forward to getting their grandkids on the rattle. Problem is there are no young kids in the ground to laugh at our addidas trainees and to show us how its done. We showed the arl bootboys the error of their ways way we were 15 or 16 and some of us still at school, we'd been going for years by then, not only that but we had to contend with aways where our style of dress might as well stuck a five foot flashing arrow over our heads, with SCOUSER written in big letters.

I swapped tickets and was in the lower centenary and there are loads of arl Scousers my age who I don't know why they bother, the thing is they remember getting in for 20 pence and while they won't let their seasie go resent paying £50 a game, its not fun for them it's habit, like a load of bagheads we need it but dont enjoy it anymore.

Only answer, is to have a section of young kids from the local estates back in the ground and beyond token action I cant see it unless we have cheap safe standing
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #8713 on: October 30, 2017, 01:41:09 pm »
This thread continually recycles the same points...from the Pol Pot approach of anyone over a certain age is corrupt and only the youth can own the future to the Scouse Xenophobia to anyone not from Liverpool....there may be 'truths' in such views , but here's a fact. this thread clearly has had little or no impact simply becouse most people who attend  Anfield...and steady yoursleves RAWK'ites..dont read this thread to learn how to be a good 'supporter'.

My view has been for some time, you won't  get 10,000 young lads in and suddenly the Kop is transformed into a 60's swaying mass of kopites..becouse there is no one to educate them cos they don't go to the match. We need to start educating everyone  who enters the Kop now that it is they who create the atmosphere and support the team,  they are not there  to expereiance others doing it for them.

It is not a given that those most vocal to the issue actually have the answers ... the mass move to blocks 300 some time back was very popular to those who wanted it but back fired as whilst it gave those fans a 'group' their individaul prescence was sorely lost to those who neeeded their encouragement around them in the body of the Kop.

Education is the key , how that is acheived I dont now ( I once suggested a leaflet campaign but that was dismissed as 'not us' - so what is, shite atmosphere?) by targeting those who actually go to the game not here on RAWK.

Safe standing would have an impact...but would it dramtically change the demographic of the Kop ,  I doubt it.

Great games  create great atmospheres....what we really need is those handfull of games a season when the team is struggling to lift them and get a win from a draw or a draw from a defeat in the last 15 mins...thats what the Kop really used to do and those handfull of games will be converted to points and 5 or 6 points over a season won 'by the crowd' could make all the differeance.

How about a leaflet campain using Klopp as Lord Kitchener " I want You!!" handed out to people as they enter the Kop turnstile with a clear meassage your here to support the team not taking fucking mobile phone pics.  I would suggest this needs to be done over a period and not a one of game , possibly with the assitance of the club.

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8714 on: October 30, 2017, 02:27:05 pm »
This thread continually recycles the same points...from the Pol Pot approach of anyone over a certain age is corrupt and only the youth can own the future to the Scouse Xenophobia to anyone not from Liverpool....there may be 'truths' in such views , but here's a fact. this thread clearly has had little or no impact simply becouse most people who attend  Anfield...and steady yoursleves RAWK'ites..dont read this thread to learn how to be a good 'supporter'.

My view has been for some time, you won't  get 10,000 young lads in and suddenly the Kop is transformed into a 60's swaying mass of kopites..becouse there is no one to educate them cos they don't go to the match. We need to start educating everyone  who enters the Kop now that it is they who create the atmosphere and support the team,  they are not there  to expereiance others doing it for them.

It is not a given that those most vocal to the issue actually have the answers ... the mass move to blocks 300 some time back was very popular to those who wanted it but back fired as whilst it gave those fans a 'group' their individaul prescence was sorely lost to those who neeeded their encouragement around them in the body of the Kop.

Education is the key , how that is acheived I dont now ( I once suggested a leaflet campaign but that was dismissed as 'not us' - so what is, shite atmosphere?) by targeting those who actually go to the game not here on RAWK.

Safe standing would have an impact...but would it dramtically change the demographic of the Kop ,  I doubt it.

Great games  create great atmospheres....what we really need is those handfull of games a season when the team is struggling to lift them and get a win from a draw or a draw from a defeat in the last 15 mins...thats what the Kop really used to do and those handfull of games will be converted to points and 5 or 6 points over a season won 'by the crowd' could make all the differeance.

How about a leaflet campain using Klopp as Lord Kitchener " I want You!!" handed out to people as they enter the Kop turnstile with a clear meassage your here to support the team not taking fucking mobile phone pics.  I would suggest this needs to be done over a period and not a one of game , possibly with the assitance of the club.

Course it would. Generally the people who like to sit are the people who don't sing and make as much noise. If there isn't the option of sitting in the Kop a lot of those people will go elsewhere. I prefer standing when I watch football, I stand at the pub, I stand when I can at the stadium. Plus, if you add in safe standing, the capacity goes up marginally, then you can sell more tickets at a lower price (theoretically) making it easier for people who want to go, go. You just have to look at Celtic to see the impact it's had.

I don't care about age or where your from. Generally speaking I do think older fans are less likely to generate atmosphere, not always the case though. Been around plenty of younger fans who do shit all as well. I'd say percentage wise though there's a higher number of 20-30 years olds who make noise in comparison to 50-60.

For me it's completely fine if you want to go to the game but not be up on your feet, singing, clapping for 90 minutes. Just don't sit in the kop. Not having seats in there would drive the majority of those kind of people to other stands. Giving the people who do want to do that a better chance of getting an affordable ticket in there.

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8715 on: October 30, 2017, 02:31:23 pm »
Also forgot to address your point about the less interesting games. When the Anfield wrap went up to Celtic it was a nothing game, think they'd already won the league weeks ago. Atmosphere was great though. Some would argue that the culture of Celtic has remained in tact as it's not in the PL therefore doesn't have the global appeal which draws in so many tourists. Safe Standing has a lot to do with it though. I'm not sure many tourists would want to stand anyway honestly.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8716 on: October 30, 2017, 02:45:34 pm »
I agree with a lot said above. I really feel we are lacking any "new" songs which really rile us up. "We are Liverpool" worked for a while, but it's not really player specific and the melody gets kinda tiresome after a while. The songs like those for Garcia, Torres and Suarez are the types of songs I used to feed off when I was younger for energy.

I don't think we should be blaming any one specific part of our fanbase, we all contribute to this. From now on I'm going to make an effort to start talking to people around me in games in the hope building some temporary camaraderie will help loosen everyone the fuck up.
YNWA.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8717 on: October 30, 2017, 02:49:05 pm »
Agreed the thread is circular and probably not widely read and acts more as a venting place.  I only vent off in here taking out frustrations after particularly  bad games. I'd never knock anyone trying to improve the atmosphere   but it's unlikely to happen from here. Needs to be done by a groups of mates on the ground with loads of energy and part the problem is very few groups of young kids go. That's why getting kids in is a priority even though it's a hard fight
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8718 on: October 30, 2017, 02:50:28 pm »
Think you've made some pretty big assumptions there.With regard to safe standing , I support that, however it wont be a return to terracing it will be the german model of seats and a rail. So anyone over 50 or a tourists doesnt want to stand..did you ask them all? Who are those fans on the Kop who stand for 90 mins for the big games?

As for who sings most , of course its the younger lads...but to assume all 50 plus dont and all under 30 do is simply not true.....so who you gonna select? Maybe we should have a Kop X Factor where before everyone gets  season Ticket has to pass a fan audition and stand for 90 mins?

There is a depserate need to get young fans in...but simple fact is the economics of LFC wont make it feasable for 'thousands' of young fans to get to games at a resonable cost ( some time ago I  suggested anew version of a boys pen is needed)

When I was  a lad I was educted by the Kopites....who is gonna educate the 'next generation' now?.

We need to change the attitude of fans on the Kop now and planning for the future is fine but what are we going to do for the next two or three years until he possible creation of safe standing ( occasional resting if we are allowed....before RAWK Pol pot squads remove the elderly who are shagged out and need to sit down for 5 mins ) arrives?

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8719 on: October 30, 2017, 02:54:52 pm »
Agreed the thread is circular and probably not widely read and acts more as a venting place.  I only vent off in here taking out frustrations after particularly  bad games. I'd never knock anyone trying to improve the atmosphere   but it's unlikely to happen from here. Needs to be done by a groups of mates on the ground with loads of energy and part the problem is very few groups of young kids go. That's why getting kids in is a priority even though it's a hard fight

I agree mate...and I understand its a place to vent ( as is most of the LFC stuff on RAWK)...I want the Kop to be great again...actually 'not bad' will do but the 'Fith Columist approach' to a lot of our fellow fans wont change things , as I repeat, we need to educate those now....and if there are those who dont make an effort and dont give a fuck cos they done it 30 years ago and they have earned the rigth to sit and not make an effort, then we should leave  them in a room with a loaded revolver on the table and let them do the decent thing. :)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 02:56:24 pm by FlashingBlade »